Atkins - New here, 2nd time around doing atkins

Crush
08-10-2010, 04:09 PM
My name is Christy, I am 31 and starting atkins for the 2nd time. I did atkins a few years ago and was sucessful, but have completely fallen off the wagon! I did keep most the weight off that I took off before, but I am still at 300 lbs. My goal is to get under 200. My ideal weight is 150 to 160. I started yesterday, and so far so good. Drinking lots of water is tough for me, but so far so good! Looking forward to meeting new people on here. The forums really helped me last time on my journey, so expect a lot of posts from me! I am a divorced mom of 4, they are 14,13,9 and 7. i am also a full time medical student. I am so ready to get this weight off!

sandyfanny
08-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Welcome Christy, I'm a second time on Atkins lady too. I lost bunches and slowly gained it back. Now I'm slowly (too slow for me!) losing it again. Wow! I'm impressed with all you've got going on. If you can juggle what you already do, you can definitely do Atkins!

ghost girl
08-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Hello and welcome Christy, good luck with your weight loss journey, you are at the right place.

LTs girl
08-10-2010, 07:09 PM
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu163/SlowRide_bucket/Graphics/th_welcome-61.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/image/welcome/SlowRide_bucket/Graphics/welcome-61.gif?o=86)

Welcome to the forum. What are you going to school for?

fatmad
08-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Christy, the advantage that you have is that it will take a long time to lose half your weight safely. That means going through all of life's challenges while you are "dieting" so you have the best chance to make permanent changes. I posted on another thread about making it a lifetime change, going up and down on the healthy carb ladder according to your needs and health. I have a friend who lost about that much weight, (she did weight watchers) it took her 18 months to get to goal weight. She swears that was the secret to her success, and her success at maintaining. 5 years later, she is still a healthy normal weight and keeps fit.
Good for you, go for it!

hairchick40v
08-11-2010, 09:19 AM
I am a second time a rounder myself!!! Hoping for that success that I keep hearing about!! I am a lifetime yo yoer and I am ready to be down and stay down!! Good luck to you!! We are all in this together!

Crush
08-11-2010, 01:15 PM
LTsgirl I am finishing up my RN right now, then going to school to be a dermatologist.

Thank you for all the welcomes!

sandyfanny
08-11-2010, 01:17 PM
I'll be your guinea pig when you practice working on wrinkles!

Crush
08-11-2010, 01:20 PM
lol deal! My boyfriend is so against aging, he is such a perfectionist. He can't wait he will probably be my number one patient lol. And he is only 29! Men can be silly :)

sandyfanny
08-11-2010, 06:23 PM
"The Innocent and the Beautiful have no enemy but Time."
Yeats

LTs girl
08-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Good luck with school. I just graduated on Saturday with my Bachelor's in medical imaging. Too bad all of the local hospitals are on a hiring freeze. :mad:

So when you start learning about stretch marks get back with me. Lol.

sandyfanny
08-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Congratulations on your new degree and graduation, LTsgirl! You have a lot to celebrate this month...and your guy's coming home!!! You need all that Atkins' energy to celebrate!

LTs girl
08-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks. Unfortunately he is only home for 3 weeks and then off for another 4 months. Thankfully it is for more training and not anywhere dangerous. But that gives me more time to work on my weight and look hot for when he comes home. :D

sandyfanny
08-12-2010, 12:38 PM
He's going to think you're smokin' anytime...you believe it!

SaskNewfie
08-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Hey, welcome aboard...this is the third time I tried Atkins and the first time I made it past a month. I've been on about 6 months now and overall I love it. You'll find great support here...I did!

sandyfanny
08-12-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm so excited. I was going nuts because I felt that my weight loss was going way too slow...I'm down FOUR pounds from last week. Something's going right! I needed this boost badly. :carrot:

ghost girl
08-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Yeah four pounds, what a great loss, so what are you doing different?

sandyfanny
08-12-2010, 06:27 PM
I wish I knew. I know I made a conscious effort to drink water, and I know I didn't eat anything off plan. Maybe it was cumulative, cause I lost 7 pounds in 2-3 weeks, then the 4-pound drop. Boy, I was ready for it!

ghost girl
08-13-2010, 04:50 AM
Keep up the good work!

CheeseCake4me
08-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Just wanted to let you know that I wish you great success ! I am also doing a low carb diet, sort of a blend between Atkins and IP and this is the first time I have had good success with a diet.

Deena52
08-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi cheesecake4me. :wave:

Sandyfanny~

My weight loss, in terms of scale readings, was all over the map....but in retrospect, it would always average out for the month.
Many say don't go by the scale....go by how your clothes fit...or by inches.
Now, I did weigh every day (still do) but I was absolutely fine with fluctuations, knowing this was normal.....as long as the over-all total was trending down.

I've heard that because Atkins is a metabolic diet, it can cause a great deal of water fluctuations....which I tend to believe....because what else would cause them? And I had them...up, down, up, down......the entire time, even though my intake was consistent and approx. the same calories daily (until I added calorie cycling during a plateau....which worked, BTW).

deena :)

islandchick1
08-29-2010, 04:16 PM
:welcome: It's my second time around again too. Hugs and Support on your journey.

sandyfanny
08-30-2010, 08:14 PM
I don't know what IP stands for - a blend of Atkins and IP? Help, please.

I hope you'll post often; it's my second time around too. I lost 80 pounds the first time; I gained it back but it took almost 8 years to gain it. This time...I'm going to maintain using Atkins mainenance plans and ideas! :hug:

SilverLife
09-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Crush, welcome! :)