Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Edible Paper Chips

View Full Version : Edible Paper Chips

Suzanne 3FC
08-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Snack chips made from paper, flavored with organic flavors. Practically calorie free :)

Flavors will include mint, blueberry, cheddar and wasabi.

Apparently they will be on the shelves sometime this fall.

http://www.hafsteinnjuliusson.com/slim-chips/

It sounds crazy, but if the ingredients are all natural and there's nothing funky in there, then I'd try them. At least the mint.

How about you?

kateleestar
08-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Ooo, I'd try the wasabi!

RunnerChemist
08-10-2010, 12:55 PM
I don 't know about that, but the website is interesting and fun. But I used to eat paper in elementary school, and it's wasn't that great.

StephanieM
08-10-2010, 02:30 PM
I don't know if the whole 'It's like eating tasty air' does it for me, haha.

I would try it at least once if it was available. I'd go for cheddar or wasabi, as long as there is no gluten.

evilwomaniamshe
08-10-2010, 09:10 PM
What a concept! :dizzy: ROFLMAO I can only imagine the price tag on a bag of these suckers! Colorful and oh so yummy like- bring on the bag of blueberry- okay NOT! :o Albeit it will cause gas & someone may get "PLUGGED UP" from having too much paper consumption! :D

AnnieDrews
08-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Hmmmm...based in Iceland.....I see it taking years to hit the markets in the U.S. with all the testing that is probably required??

I suppose people will overeat paper as much as they do snack foods, though. Then have a bowel obstruction.;)

nelie
08-11-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't think I'd eat this. I think kale chips are a much better option, now if they wouldn't be so expensive, I could eat them all the time. (Although they are fairly easy to make and I have made them myself)

mandalinn82
08-11-2010, 04:23 PM
These were in Food Network magazine as well. I think it's just...odd. And really, do we need to encourage mindless eating? Even if it is paper?

ANOther
08-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Edible PAPER???? Oh ickkkkkkk. :barf: One time I picked up a bag of Atkins chips to eat with my lunch: the darn things tasted like cardboard sprayed with Chee-tos cheez!

kaplods
08-11-2010, 09:06 PM
I can't imagine it having any real appeal for the average person, or even the average dieter. For most folks (at best), I would expect it to be a novelty item (a practical joke or a one-time experiment).

Sadly I think it will have the most appeal to the people for whom it would be most unhealthy - crash dieters and people with eating disorders.

mandalinn82
08-11-2010, 09:09 PM
What's interesting is that if they marketed in a different way, I can totally see it appealing to dieters in general, like the Shirataki noodles.

Change "eat our chips made of low-calorie paper" to "our chips are made of cellulose fiber, which allows us to make these great-tasting chips with practically no calories". Both are true - one is novelty, and one is a diet product.

SarahD140
08-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I kind of thought it was a joke! But I would try the wasabi... I'm wondering about the sodium content.

ParadiseFalls
08-11-2010, 09:15 PM
This almost seems like a practical joke, but I'd definitely check out the cheddar one! I love snacking on crispy things.

Serval87
08-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Sounds a bit weird, and it would probably be super expensive.

Shytowngal
08-18-2010, 09:26 AM
The restaurant moto in Chicago does this. Their menu is printed on edible paper made from soybeans that is flavored. I don't have the kind of cash it takes to eat there though, so I can't tell you how it is!

For charity, Moto also infuses sheets of paper with over 2,000 calories and sends them to starving children around the world. Cheap to ship with a long shelf life.

Sorry for the t/j, I've just always found that so interesting.