South Beach Diet - Phase 1 Support Thread

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Phase 1 Support Thread

Breannaj1215
08-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Introduction to this thread:
CyndiM wrote: It looks like there are lots of new Beachers stopping by. Time for a Phase 1 support thread. If you are just starting South Beach this is a spot to get your questions answered about Phase 1, get support from other Phase 1ers and from more experienced Chicks and post menus and daily successes and challenges. So hop on in and let us know how it's going and how we can help support you.

South Beach is a healthy lifestyle change that can not only help you lose weight but improve your overall health. Phase 1 is just 2 weeks but it's so important to successfully complete two clean weeks. It will help clear cravings and give you a head start on the road to a healthier you. to the Beach!

day 1 of phase 1
So far so good. Im not even hungry! :) Ive done sb before and did good on it. Hoping i have the same results!

museumchick
08-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Congratulations! I'm just finishing day 1 of Phase 1 as well, and just like the last time I did Phase 1 I'm not hungry at all! That's why this diet rocks...it actually works and you don't have to starve yourself!

ShellydeFlores
08-10-2010, 02:14 AM
Ugh I'm on day 8 and I'm constipated, have lost my appetite, and gained a lb (after losing 5-6 last week).

Help me BRE!!!!!!!!!!

Amos Josephine
08-10-2010, 02:23 AM
I started SB last week, but I knew it would be a trial run until after the weekend (lots of food centered activities I could not avoid). So, today is my first day, and I have to say that I really love the plan. I modify it a bit as I track my calories, but the plan has so many low cal/low carb options that I can see few issues. I also noticed that my weekend,while not up to phase 1 standards, eating was more careful and, for the most part, better choices than I would usually make. This feels doable.

ajowens
08-10-2010, 02:27 AM
Great job!

Amos Josephine
08-10-2010, 02:32 AM
Shelly try taking Acidophilus pills. They are the active ingredient in activia. You know, as long as it is safe for you to take the bacteria that's in yogurt. Check with your doc if you have questions about it. The pills take a few days to work, but after those days pass, everything else passes.

Natasha1534
08-10-2010, 06:16 AM
Glad to hear your day went well (both of you that tackled day 1 today ;))!!!

It's totally doable...I was amazed!!!

cottagebythesea
08-10-2010, 06:59 AM
:welcome:, Amos Josephine!

criseyde
08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Day 2 today!

About to go to work with my coffee and breakfast "muffin" in hand. Not going off track today. :)

museumchick
08-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Constipated? Hun, have you tried Metamucil? It's recommended for the South Beach diet in the sugar free form not only to fight constipation, but also because the fiber in it lowers the GI value of every meal you eat when you drink it with the meal.

Breannaj1215
08-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Michelle, did u try the metamucil? i know u were thinking about it. I would try it and see how it goes. I dont have any problems going to the bathroom lol.

Yesterday was my first day and I lost 3.5 pounds whoooo who!

audri8301
08-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks for starting this thread!

I am just starting my second week of Phase 1 and everything is going well so far. It's much less difficult than I anticipated. Tomorrow might be a challenge because I'm heading to a concert in the evening, but I plan on eating an early dinner before we leave and bringing along some snacks/water so I can avoid the concession stands.

zeffryn
08-10-2010, 11:30 AM
shelly, try the metamucil. if that doesn't work, try some senna tea. the lb. you've gained is probably because of the constipation. no need to worry.

uscarchie
08-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Ok, Day 2 of P1- so far so good- made an amazing omlette this am with spinach and some cheese.
So I'm hoping to make it through today and not have to crazy a day. I cheated last night and had a glass of wine- it was a dry wine and not sweet, so it wasn't a terrible cheat, but no more wine for a while.

.Steph.
08-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi everyone phase 1 day 2 here. I've done SB a few times before and have found each time to be less successful for me. I am hoping this time will be different. The last few times I've been constipated as well, which could be cause of the stall in weightloss.

I feel better on this plan so I know I need to stick to but it but it all goes downhill as soon as I start adding any carbs back in. Any tips or anyone in the same boat?

uscarchie
08-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Ack, there are cookies and cake upstairs! Must avoid them at all costs. Stupid work.

quirkster
08-11-2010, 02:51 AM
Hello all! Another Phase 1-er checking in!

I just finished day 2 of phase 1 - and it still seems doable. Actually, I did do South Beach a couple of years ago and was pretty successful and lost about 15 lbs. Now it's time to get back on the bandwagon - and hopefully drop those pounds that i gained back!

Fat in Hong Kong
08-11-2010, 03:15 AM
Well, I finally started SBD:) I'm on day 3 of phase 1 and already feeling much better for it! I actually feel like I've already lost weight, although I'm not going to weigh myself until Friday. Usually, I feel bloated all the time, but that feeling has gone, and even my jeans feel more comfortable today!!

Having a husband who is Type 2 diabetic, I've been struggling to know what cook for meals, and end up cooking the same boring things, but now with SBD, the meals suit both of us (obviously, hubby isn't doing phase 1). We're both really enjoying it so far.

My only problem is breakfast ... I do like eggs, but find that after 3 days of having eggs in one form or another, I'm getting tired of them. I need to search for a few more breakfast ideas ... although I really can't face the thought of having things like left over dinner, or veggies with chicken or ham, etc, the thought of it makes my stomach turn. I guess I'm going to have to get inventive with yogurt, or cottage cheese maybe?

Anyway, I'm liking it so far and feel that it is a way of eating for life, rather than just for a short period. Can't wait to see those pounds fall off!!

ShellydeFlores
08-11-2010, 03:41 AM
Hong Kong-I like eggs too...in general...but I am so sick of eggs I could scream. I switched off of doing eggs in the morning and I think that was one of the major reasons I was constipated. I had eggs this morning again for breakfast (gagged the entire time) and I was back on schedule....as far as a BM goes. The eggs really do help but if you need a break definitely go for the other options you mentioned. I hate cottage cheese and pretty much any other kind of chese other than my colby jack and cheddar so those options are out for me. I am a verrrry picky eater.

Good luck to you though and let us know how it worked out for you with switching it up. Right now I am sticking to eggs, regardless of the fact that they make me gag, because they keep me regular and they give me a results the next morning on the scale!

Fat in Hong Kong
08-11-2010, 03:53 AM
I had eggs this morning again for breakfast (gagged the entire time)

Shelly, you made me laugh with that comment ... that's exactly how I felt this morning!!:lol: My other concern though, is that they actually make me more constipated (and I often have problems in that department as it is!!). Sorry, too much information!:o Hopefully, all the extra veggies that I'm eating will counteract the effect!!

Natasha1534
08-11-2010, 04:02 AM
Hello everybody. Phase 2er here, but I just wanted to say good job to all of you and keep up the good work. You'll be amazed at the end of Phase 1 when all those cravings have disappeared. For me, South Beach has been the only eating plan (I hate to call it a "diet" b/c it's more than that...it's a way of life) that has worked for me. It's easily doable, there are tons of meal options (and they're not bland and tasteless either!!!), and the results are WAY worth any mild discomfort in the first 2 weeks.

I'm proud of each and every one of you and can't wait to see you join me and the others on Phase 2 (or even Phase 3). :)

criseyde
08-11-2010, 09:18 AM
So last night I went to the gym which I was pretty happy about. Walked on the treadmill for 32 minutes like I planned...but somehow came out of the building feeling worse about myself than when I walked in. (I'm out of shape, I look terrible...etc.) Seriously? Who looks good after a workout? I so badly wanted an ice cream and/or Arby's afterwards.

But I didn't! And now on to day 3 of phase 1!

I'm totally not a fan of eggs either. But I made these egg muffins I've been eating every morning and they're yummy. Not too egg-y.

audri8301
08-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Sick of eggs people, I made the ricotta muffins from the recipe area that I sw some people mention last night and zapped a couple in the microwave this morning and they are delicious! I didn't have the stuff to do the savory so I just used the original recipe with a little cocoa powder (someone else suggested) and they really hit the spot. You should give them a try!

criseyde - Way to stick to the plan and not give in!

museumchick
08-11-2010, 10:07 AM
I managed to survive day 2 yesterday! I had been worried about it because I knew I had Rotary over lunch and usually whatever they serve is some form of pasta....a total no-no for phase 1. I had a snack before I went in and was just hoping that I could pick out the meat of whatever pasta they served. Boy was I glad to see they were serving salads for once! :D

But the salad was small. Luckily I had planned ahead enough to bring some soup with me to work on the outcome that I couldn't eat much at lunch. Problem was I went to heat up the soup and by a lucky glance happened to find...HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP on the ingredient label. GAH!!! Luckily we have a grocery store near by, so I went over and got some almonds and a low fat cheese stick.

By dinner my migraine was back and I was feeling pretty crummy, but I managed to stick to the plan and grilled 2 shishkabobs I had bought at the store that had lean beef, peppers and onions.

Feeling much better this morning, although it will be a high stress day with my grandmother having some major surgery this afternoon back home in MI. Lets hope things go well!

.Steph.
08-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Looks like a lot of us are on the same day of ph1. I am on day 3 as well today. I am less hungry than usual but I still have some crazings and there has been no weight loss. I'm pretty sure it's more due to TOM coming than my diet though.

I tried a wedge of laughing cow herb and garlic cheese in my eggs today. It was pretty good, mixed it up a bit.

Museumchick -Hope the surgery goes well for your grandmother.

uscarchie
08-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Day 3 phase 1. Making it slowly. Remember that if you're having the SBD flu- eat your beans! Also, look in the recipes for breakfast ideas- they're tasty.

So far- doing ok. Down a few pounds and liking it! Just gotta keep on- this is the hardest day to get through.

dcapulet
08-12-2010, 03:28 PM
:wave:

After a long time away, I have decided to come back to south beach because when I eat on plan I feel my very best. So I've decided to commit.

Phase 1 Day 1! :beach:

museumchick
08-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Looks like a lot of us are on the same day of ph1. I am on day 3 as well today. I am less hungry than usual but I still have some crazings and there has been no weight loss. I'm pretty sure it's more due to TOM coming than my diet though.

I tried a wedge of laughing cow herb and garlic cheese in my eggs today. It was pretty good, mixed it up a bit.

Museumchick -Hope the surgery goes well for your grandmother.

Thanks Steph! It did seem to go well. The oncologist thinks all of the cancer is confined to her uterus, which they removed. Her lymph nodes in the area were inflamed, but he said that could be a reaction to the surgery or the bowel prep before the surgery. They took them out anyway just to be safe and they are getting biopsied. We'll know next week what the results are there...hopefully they are clean and she won't need chemo.

On Day 4 today and doing well! :D Haven't checked the scale because I only like to do that once a week so I don't get too obsessed with it. Plus I'm getting ready to have my TOM so I'm sure I'll have some extra pounds on from that. But I definitely don't feel as bloated as I normally do.

B: Egg white omelet with LF cheese and some bacon pieces, metamucil
S: Sugar free jello cup
L: One hard boiled egg, half a red pepper with 2 wedges light laughing cow cheese
S: Ooops! I knew I forgot something while I was cleaning my old place!
D: There was a recipe here for a taco type soup. Gunna have that tonight!

Fat in Hong Kong
08-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Well, I'm on day 5 and I've hopped on the scales for the 1st time (I like to weigh-in on Friday). I'm extremely happy to report that I've had a loss of ... 7.7lbs!!!!:yay: I can't tell you how good that makes me feel ... not just having such a great loss, but I actually feel really good ... no bloating, or uncomfortable feelings ... just feeling great! I've been enjoying all the great food that I've been eating (excluding the eggs!:p-) and I haven't felt hungry once, not once!:). Even hubby gave me a compliment this morning and said I actually looked like I'd lost some weight off my belly ... I'll take any compliment thats on offer!:D

I now have the weekend looming, but I'm feeling so motivated right now, I don't think it's going to be a problem.:spin:

Hope you all have a good day!:)

iminsanediego
08-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Fat in Hong Kong, if you like yogurt, you might like the Fayeh (Fat free greek yogurt.) It's plain but I added cocoa with purvia (or stevia packets) to sweeten. It's makes a really good chocolate yogurt. Taste creamy (for all you creamy lovers out there) and I even put it in the freezer for a bit to get really cold. It's a cross between ice cream and a mousse. Makes a delicious dessert. Enjoy!

Fat in Hong Kong
08-12-2010, 11:08 PM
iminsanediego - thanks for the advice about the Greek yogurt, I'm off to the shops this morning to stock up! I had ordinary no fat plain yogurt today with some vanilla in it ... not too bad, and it was a nice change from the eggs!

Unfortunately, living in Hong Kong, there are lots of low fat/fat free/no sugar foods that simply aren't available here, so I'll definitely struggle to find any cocoa powder that would be allowed on SBD:( but it does sound good! I'm on a mission today to find low fat, or fat free, cheeses ... dying to try the Ricotta Muffins for breakfast! I have seen some in the past, but it all depends whether they've had a delivery from overseas, as they don't make it here, so most things like this are imported from UK/US/Austrailia ... fingers crossed!

murphmitch
08-12-2010, 11:33 PM
B: Egg white omelet with LF cheese and some bacon pieces, metamucil
S: Sugar free jello cup
L: One hard boiled egg, half a red pepper with 2 wedges light laughing cow cheese
S: Ooops! I knew I forgot something while I was cleaning my old place!
D: There was a recipe here for a taco type soup. Gunna have that tonight!

I would increase your veggies. Supposed to eat 4 1/2 cups daily & it's suggested to eat them at every meal.

museumchick
08-13-2010, 10:18 AM
I know, but unfortunately I'm kinda out of them and until payday I'm stuck. Should be picking up some more this weekend. I actually changed dinner after I wrote that and had a Zesty Chicken and Black Bean recipe from here on a bed of lettuce...it was fabulous!! And I have enough left over to make a snack of it now :-)

ShellydeFlores
08-13-2010, 05:52 PM
So ladies...I have become constipated. This is very frustrating. I gained 2 lbs a few days ago and then got them to come off but now the scale has not moved in two days. Frustrating. I started taking Metmucil last night although this morning I cheated. Have a bagel breakfast sandwich. I got really frustrating with not being able to eat what I wanted so I created a complete South Beach Phase 1 sin. Although it was delicious and amazing....in every single morsel of bread ....I feel guilty as ****! I am hitting the gym tonight to make up for it but...ugh I just am terrified to see what the scale has to say about it tomorrow morning!!

museumchick
08-13-2010, 09:54 PM
It's OK Shelly...we all know that feeling! Just don't let that "sin" from this morning carry through. Getting back to Phase 1 tomorrow will be better than letting it defeat you.

As for the Metamucil...that will help the constipation. But you have to take it as directed on the jar. Three times a day, and it might take a day to kick in. But once it does, you'll be grateful!

Fat in Hong Kong
08-14-2010, 01:24 AM
Shelly, don't fret ... anyone who does Phase 1 for 2 weeks and can swear absolutely that they have been 100% on plan, I find very impressive and I take my hat off to them. I went out last night with my family for dinner ... I wasn't 100% on plan, but I've done great the rest of the time, and you know what? ... life isn't perfect, there's always going to be things that get in our way (life happens!) and I figure as long as you are on plan for the majority of the time, then one slip up isn't going to undo all the good you've done previously, as long as you get straight back on plan afterwards. And try not to be a slave to the scale ... if you're constipated, and also worried about going off plan and what the scale will register, then give yourself a few days of being back on plan before you weigh yourself again ... there's nothing more disheartening than seeing the scale not budge, or go up. If you weigh yourself more than once a week, the scales can go up and down from day to day, regardless of how well you've stayed on plan, due to water, or being constipated, etc.

Xan
08-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Ill finish a week of Phase 1 today. By my scale, I've lost 3 pounds, and I've trusted my scale, but at the doctor's office yesterday, mid-afternoon, after two meals, fully clothed and in shoes, I weighed exactly what I'd weighed on my home scale, no food, no clothes. I hate not knowing what I weigh! That's the one thing I miss about weight watchers.

B - 2 scrambled eggs
S. - yogurt
L - chicken soup with lots of vegetables
S - hummus and veg
D - not sure yet

dcapulet
08-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Day 3 today - Yesterday was not as tough as day 1. I am a little concerned about traveling on phase 1, but I guess we'll see.

Shelly - I hope you feel better!

Hong Kong - I like your outlook!

Xan - congrats on the loss!

:swim:

ShellydeFlores
08-14-2010, 02:11 PM
So I had a bit of a break down yesterday and cheated...horribly! Ironically though...I am down a lb this morning. Thank you Metamucil!!!

museumchick
08-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Speaking of cheating...I cheated yesterday! :-( I felt like crap because the night before I was working late at a public event where they served free BBQ stuff and I manged to stay away from the chips, baked beans and even the Dilly Bar from DQ and just ate the hamburger (after I took it off the bun).

Saturday I was out of town all day with my BF, and I was running around like crazy because I was getting confirmed and stuff. Missed breakfast before we left, and when we all hit lunch there was basically nothing where we went that I could eat. I didn't do too badly, but it was a definite cheat day:
Breakfast: Missed
Lunch: Chicken Ceaser on Pita bread, a few french fries
Snack: Frozen mocha frappe
Dinner: Beef taco, potato ole's, Dr. Pepper

:(

So today I'm back on. I feel crappy because the last time I did phase 1 I managed not to cheat at all. Guess I just need to be better prepared...and maybe do an extra day or so on Phase 1.

Natasha1534
08-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Day 3 today - Yesterday was not as tough as day 1. I am a little concerned about traveling on phase 1, but I guess we'll see.

You can do it!!! ;) I was at the beach all this weekend, which makes it kind of easy b/c of the amount of fresh seafood around, but most of what I had was Phase I friendly (even though I'm on Phase II). When I was on Phase I and ate out I really liked doing Mexican b/c I could have the fajitas and just have them leave off the rice and tortillas and give me more lettuce.

quietstorm970
08-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm excited since I will be starting Phase 1 tomorrow. I already have my food cooked and ready for the week and I cant wait to get some more of this weight off!!! Good luck to everyone!

Fat in Hong Kong
08-16-2010, 02:54 AM
Well, I survived the weekend (just about!), although I won't say that it wasn't without any hitches ... I tried my best considering that I had dinner out on Friday & Saturday:o Anyway, I'm back on track 100% as of today, so we'll see what happens at my next weigh-in on Friday:crossed:

criseyde
08-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Week 2 starts today. It was a rough weekend so food kinda went downhill. Nothing I can't come back from and nothing like that first attempt, but some less than wise decisions were made. Didn't even get to the gym, but I did clean for 3 straight hours and my house is super shiny now. :)

museumchick
08-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Week two starts today, and so far so good :-) I'll have to stay on a bit because I cheated on Saturday, but my scale this morning said I was 2 pounds down! It would have been more without the cheating...but it's also my TOM so that's probably throwing things off too.

Went to the gym today for 90 minutes, so that's awesome too! My motivation is way up!!!

StepSpen
08-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Hi all!

Totally new to SB! I'm struggling a bit through Phase 1 - been working on it for 5 days. Yesterday was TOUGH! Went to a friends for a pool party - and they had all the usuals - potato chips, baked beans loaded w/brown sugar, brownies, rice crispie treats and, of course, beer and frozen drinks! UGH! I planned ahead and took a platter of SB friendly veggies and dip, and even made a SB-safe broccoli salad. Ate my burger (only meat option) without bread, and constantly sucked down bottle after bottle of water - just so I wouldn't eat. I did trip up and eat a small brownie before leaving - and today hasn't been much easier - all I want to do is snack! :dizzy:

How do you handle situations like that? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as we go to this friend's house often. And do things get easier when you have a regular routine? I am currently still on my summer break from teaching (starting back with teacher meetings tomorrow!) and it has been a bit tough.

Thanks!
Steph

BritMW
08-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Hello All!

Today is Day 1 of Phase 1 of SBD for me. I have done SBD before and lost 60lbs and unfortunately gained some back 2 years later :(
Just needed some suport as I know it'll help get me back to my goal!
Thanks!

StepSpen, before when I lost weight on SB it got way easier once I had the routine down, it will get easier for you too.
Good luck to you!

geewhizkid
08-16-2010, 07:16 PM
hi all. i started phase 1 today. i'm still at work so it hasn't been too hard for me to cheat since i work in a medical office where there's no food for miles around... but i know when i get home there will be temptation aplenty. so far so good. nice to see this thread and that there's so many others doing this!

audri8301
08-16-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm almost finished with Phase 1 and getting a little nervous about starting to reintroduce the fruits and grains, think I'll give the book a look tonight. This should be my last day, but I'm going to do two more since on Friday I ended up in a situation where pizza was the only lunch option. I think I'm only down about four pounds overall, but I was already counting calories and exercising before I started doing Phase 1 so I didn't really expect to lose that much.

Fat in Hong Kong
08-16-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm on day 10 of Phase 1, and I must confess that I've had a couple of VERY stressful days and my eating plan has not been good! I'm really annoyed with myself because I did so well last week. I will definitely be continuing Phase 1 for a few extra days!!

Stepspen, I too have been on summer break (I'm a support assistant in school), and will be returning to work tomorrow for prep days prior to the children starting next Monday. I'm hoping that I'll get into a better routine when I'm back at work!

Also, once I'm back at work, I'll be getting back into the routine of regular exercise ... my gym and swimming pool is very close to where I work, so I tend to have a routine of dropping in there when I leave work ... but being on summer break for the past few weeks I seem to have got out of the routine of going there!:mad:

quietstorm970
08-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Hello Beachers!

I started Phase 1 today and I feel unstoppable!!! :carrot: The day went well with no hunger, and hardly any cravings. I got really sleepy after exercise but I made it! Now on to day 2!

Can someone please tell me if the dessert is required? I really don't want to consume too much artificial sweetners and I am satisfied with everything else.

For all the ones that messed up: Tomorrow is a new day! Pick yourself up and try again! You can do it!!! :hug:

zeffryn
08-17-2010, 11:00 AM
It has been such a long time since I've been on P1, but lately there have been too many off plan days and it's starting to cause bad cravings. so...here i am!

Not sure how long I will stay on...I guess I will start with 3-4 days and go from there.

LindsaysMommy
08-17-2010, 12:38 PM
In my first week I lost 6 pounds it was great, now for the last 3 weeks I have been up and down, but not gone past the 6 pound mark. I am still doing everything the same as in week 1. :(

BritMW
08-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Day 2 here I come! Did great yesterday, filled up on veggies BIG TIME!!! Jillian Michaels and Leslie Sanson kicked my butt also! Working on not burning myself out with the same foods all the time, this time around.

quietstorm970 - Dessert is the only snack on P1 that is not mandatory.

Good luck to you all!!!

zeffryn
08-17-2010, 01:18 PM
lindsay'smommy - could you post a sample menu from a typical day?

quirkster
08-19-2010, 01:26 AM
I haven't had the chance to check in, but I'm hanging in there! Day 9 and around 5 lbs down! I've stuck to the program really well even in the face of temptation. I'm holding on to a little light at the end of the tunnel. It's my niece's 3rd birthday on Sunday and I promised myself if I could stick to it then I could indulge in a small piece of her birthday cake. I'm doing pretty well, so I'm not worried about 1 indulgence.

New favorite discovery? Greek yogurt. Who knew that plain yogurt with a li'l addition of this and that could be so yummy?

dcapulet
08-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi to all beachers!

Natasha - you were right, it can be done while travelling. There were sometimes when I did not make the best choice, but overall it was good. And I am looking forward to getting back to my veggies!!

I will be moving to phase 2 on Tuesday - I can't wait to get some fruit back!

:swim:

criseyde
08-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Only 3 more days of phase 1. There's been a few minor mishaps but nothing absolutely terrible.

Question though. Next weekend is bf's birthday and he's planning a major bar night already. I've decided to be the dd so I feel better and have a great excuse not to drink anything. However, Saturday and Sunday a friend and I are leaving town to go to school and she's already planning going to the bar afterwards or a trip to Olive Garden...I need to look at their menu before we go. But my question is would it be a good idea to stay on phase 1 until after this mess of a weekend or should I try moving on in spite of all that?

museumchick
08-20-2010, 09:59 AM
I am moving out of Phase I today, but I'm still doing a Phase 1.5 kinda thing. Basically I'm trying to re-introduce the good carbs in a slow way so I don't go overboard. That was one of my weaknesses last time. I can't wait to get some fruit again!!

I know I didn't lose nearly as much weight this time of Phase 1 as I did last time I did it, and that really is disappointing. But I don't think I'd fallen off the Phase 2 wagon as badly as I thought. Plus I had the day I managed to screw up, and my TOM interfering to. At least I am down...and a visit to the doctor yesterday told me I was down 12 pounds since the end of May!

Bekidawn
08-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Hey all! I just registered as I'm doing this thing alone here at the house and may need some online support! I'm on day 3 of phase one, haven't done SB before, but so far, it's going all right. I'm down four to five pounds and that's sure keeping me motivated to eat the damn eggs in the morning. Though it feels odder than odd to eat eggs with no toast. I suppose that's what it's working though, so I'm gonna continue as is. This morning I had an omelet with tomato and mushrooms and a bit of cheese for added gooiness. It was delish.

I decided to start SOMETHING and I'd heard so much good about SB so the other night when I was reading through here, I found out about the strict first two weeks and lo and behold, it's going to take me right up to my vacation to complete them! What better motivation to stay on track than the thought of the beach. Especially knowing that once I'm moving from Phase one to two, eating at the beach will not be a chore or a hazard. Lots of seafood and veggies, yum. I can do that.

Seems sugar cravings are starting to fall to the side, though I'm grouchy as ****. Come to think of it, that may be PMS. Anyway, best wishes to everyone slogging through today and just THINK of all the yumminess we can eat in Phase Two and STILL be losing!

LastingOne
08-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Hang in there, Beki! You are doing great! Sometimes it takes a little while for the body to shed not only the pounds, but the cravings and withdrawals as well. Sounds like you have a great goal to look forward to.

I've am on Day 1 of P1 and while this isn't my first SB rodeo, it has been several years, but I'm looking forward to the challenge and rewards!

toothlady
08-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Okay...I am starting Phase One tomorrow.....Pray for me!

Bekidawn
08-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Ha! Prayers for toothlady today! You can do it, woman.

As a matter of fact, I can do it. I'm down EIGHT full pounds in five days. EIGHT. I did a little happy dance off of and then back onto the scale again. I weigh every day, by the way, first thing in the morning. It keeps me from freaking out too badly at the minor fluctuations when I see that they are normal and so on. But I'm down EIGHT pounds and that's even with this being my week for PMS and bringing on the bloating. Maybe I'll have none of that this time.

Anyway, I got a couple new cookbooks over the weekend and though I don't usuallly cook from a book, they have inspired me as to all the wonderful dishes I'll be able to make soon and still be happily progressing.

toothlady
08-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks! I did extremely well today....I wasn't hungry at all and didn't cheat!!!! I did 30 minutes on my elliptical and some weight training and abdominal work afterwards. I am totally going to try to stay with this. I feel great!

cinnycinda
08-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Hi all.....this will be my second day on SB. I think I goofed yesterday. I had more than a 1/3 to 1/2 cup of beans. Not a ton, I didn't measure. Today, I know better. I like it because I can eat more veggies, compared to Atkins. Did 2.5 mi on the treadmill yesterday. About to do it again. Today I have to find my scales. I got mad and hid them from myself. But I'm no longer ignoring this went to the doctor last week and I weigh 156. I'm really mad about it!

Cin

CyndiM
08-24-2010, 08:03 AM
There is no limit on beans as long as they don't have sugar in them, so enjoy :)

AnnieC
08-24-2010, 06:23 PM
I also started yesterday. I ODd on peanut butter today and yesterday, but other than that no other slip ups. Tonight I'm making salsa chicken with asparagus and maybe some fat free refried beans.

Do you guys limit your cheese? I have a hard time with that. I have had low fat cheese several times today.

murphmitch
08-24-2010, 10:34 PM
I didn't limit it too much on Phase I. On Phase II & III I limit it to 2-3 servings at most per day.

Bekidawn
08-25-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm doing great with it. Tomorrow will be the end of week one and I have had a nine pound loss so far. I'm LOVING that and will celebrate by making myself a pan of bean brownies. My boy is dying to see this creation, himself. LOL. I am finding the food easiest to love if I cook it myself, but went out the other night to Mellow Mushroom (a pizza joint) and found plenty on the menu to order without going out of bounds. I can totally do this.

EmmaD
08-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Just reviving this thread ... last week was a flop for me for various reasons but today begins a whole new week of Phase 1 delights :D

I don't expect to lose any weight, maybe a pound or two if I'm lucky, but I need a total jump-start to get back on track. I have fallen into a really bad trap, to quote from The Thin Commandments, of being "perfect, or perfectly awful." Bad way to approach life.

Any other Phase 1-ers out there this week? Hope you are doing well!

toothlady
08-31-2010, 11:37 AM
I actually did great week one...I am on day 8. I have lost 8 lbs so far. This has been the longest (yeah 8 days) that I have ever stuck to anything. I feel great also.

Bekidawn
08-31-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm two full days away from Phase II and have lost a total of nine pounds... while I'm hoping to hit the ten pound mark before we leave for the beach Saturday, today I decided to measure and discovered a loss of four inches overall from my body. I'm a happy, happy woman. :carrot:

Natalie'sMom
08-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Hiiiiiiiii! I am back (again). Sort of embarrassed actually. But, this time it is going to STICK! I just know it! : )

I am day 1 of phase 1. Just off of a great vacay -- I know I am refreshed and ready to go!

moki
08-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi, I just joined. I am on day 2 of phase 1. I lost 20# on SB years ago, and am trying again (I need to lose a lot more than 20# this time around, though!)

I have rheumatoid arthritis, and my doctor told me that losing weight will be tough due to the meds I am on and the physical limitations. I really want to do this, though, and am willing to work on it.

Yesterday was pretty rough, but today I feel strong and in control.

EmmaD
09-01-2010, 01:33 AM
Congrats to you on your second week, or almost finished. The end is in sight!
Hi, Natalie's(and Gracie's)Mom - how'd it go today?
And Moki, glad to hear you are doing well today on Day 2. RA is hard. If you have to take prednisone, ugh, I know that can make it harder to lose weight. If you didn't find it already, check out the Dieting with Obstacles forum here - there will probably be others who share your challenges.

I had a great day on Day 1. Today was not so good. I had a terrible headache, I felt too tired to do my planned run, I didn't feel like eating anything even though I was hungry... yuk. So through the afternoon, I thought about what the veterans say work when you're feeling blah: beans and dairy. I ate beans (split peas that I was preparing for part of dinner), dairy (yogurt that I had planned to eat after dinner), some almonds and made an unplanned protein smoothie. And I felt better! I finally managed to eat my planned lunch - spinach salad - with dinner, so all and all it didn't turn out too bad.

So I was ON plan for everything I ate but OFF plan for the planning, if that makes sense. It's hard to plan ahead when you don't know how you will feel.

Also, it's a hard time of year to not be eating fruit. My husband bought a melon that I have never heard of before - sort of like a cantaloupe but with lighter flesh and supposedly sweeter. Man, it was hard to smell that tonight - and to watch him chowing down and "mmmmm"ing.

Hope you all are dodging the fruit successfully.

usam
09-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Monday was my day 1 on phase 1 and I did so well. Yesterday Aunt Flow came to visit and I kind of cheated a little bit. I feel bad, so bad. I ate a Kellogs Cereal 90 calorie bar. I did great all day and went to bed but woke up shaking, my sugar must have plunged and I was having a bad sugar attack. I should have had cheese or something but when I opened the fridge a fly came flying out and I wanted to throw up! My two year old opens and closes the fridge constantly and a fly must have gotten in. (In New York we never had fly's like this so I'm not used to it) Anyway it grossed me out so much I closed the fridge and went into the pantry, big mistake!
Anyway today I promise to be good! I have my week planned out and I am ready to go.
What do you guys do if your sugar falls? Sometimes when I work out I get this way too.

katec
09-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Hi all - glad to find this thread. I am on Day 1 of Phase 1, have been here before (many times, sadly) and am committed to success this time. As I get older, the excess weight is truly starting to affect my health, and I want to nip that in the bud.

As a sugar addict I know this is going to be difficult but I am going to take it easy as far as exercise these first few days so that I don't get too hungry. Looking forward to losing with you!

Big Mama
09-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Me too, me too! :)
Hi!
I'm back after a long break from SBD (didn't lose any weight in the meantime, didn't gain any either) and I'm on Ph1/Day1. I am determined to stick with it. More so than ever.
I'll try to check in every day and I look forward to hanging out with you guys.
Aleksandra

Natasha1534
09-02-2010, 12:00 AM
What do you guys do if your sugar falls? Sometimes when I work out I get this way too.

Beans and dairy are the best way to get through Phase I comfortably...or so I've been told. I found that information out a little too late for me to put it to use, but I did have some refried beans w/ low fat cheese and low fat sour cream during Phase I sometimes and it really did seem to help.

EmmaD
09-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Oh yeah, beans & dairy! Natasha, refried beans with cheese is one of my all-time favorites!

usam - I didn't feel great before I went to bed either last night. I was snacking on some lowfat cheddar cheese and raw walnuts and ice-cold water. That seemed to do the trick. Also I am currently in :love: with Laughing Cow light inside crispy, cold celery. So refreshing when it's hot out.

I was at a street fair/market today. There was a LOT of ready-to-eat food there, but I was laughing to myself because besides the uncooked veggies at the farmers' stalls, there was not a single thing I could eat there - except maybe a Diet Coke. The situation is complicated by the fact that I am mostly vegetarian (I think there might have been some grill items that fit Phase 1), but still. Amusing. Luckily I didn't go there hungry.

Yikes, Americans and Canadians have a holiday weekend approaching soon. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle that yet. I haven't exactly told any of my friends about my diet. But I had better come up with a plan! What's the saying? "Failing to plan is planning to fail." Yep, that's the one.

usam
09-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Emma D - I am a vegatarian too!
Ok, so here is a new fav. thing I put together the other night and love it!
If any of you eat Greek or Indian food you will know what Rose water is. You can buy it almost anywhere especially Indian stores.
I took 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese and added 1 packet splenda, cinnamon and a teaspoon of rose water. Mix it up and you have a lovely sweet dessert. I usually mix my cottage cheese with sugar free jelly but I wasn't sure if I could have that on phase one.
Today I plan on working out and then taking the kids for lunch. I am taking them to McDonalds cause I don't eat anything from Fast Food chains so I won't feel like I'm missing out! Plus there is a playground for us to run around and the kids can get to play.

This weekend is a long weekend yikes!! On Sunday we have a block party which means lots of food but I am volunteering at a local church from 4-8 so I wont be tempted! Hubby is off all of next week which is great cause when hubby is home I can work out and I don't eat as much. Yep, I'm a closet eater so I am so happy to have him around during phase 1! Next weekend is my weakness though cause its my little girls 5th birthday and our 6th anniversary, hopefully phase 1 will be good to me and I will have lost a pound or two by then!

summersbluepits
09-02-2010, 12:52 PM
I have lost 6 pounds my first week on SBD Phase 1 and I am so pleased! I even went to the fair and avoided the funnel cake AND my communications class someone brought in bagels which I also avioded! My two favorite foods in the world and I didn't cheat! My hard work is paying off and I am LOSING! =)=). I love this diet it's so much easier than any other I have done. Not so time consuming. For dinner last night I girlled a portabello mushroom topped it with hatch green chilis and swiss cheese and ate witha hard boiled egg because it was too late at night to make a big dinner. It was fabulous!

summersbluepits
09-02-2010, 12:54 PM
As for the holiday thing, I am going to an orchard to pick apples for PHASE TWO! =)=). And then canning them LOL.

chubbybunny29
09-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Hello everyone!

I am in my first week of Phase I. This is my first time doing SBD, though I did Carb Addicts years ago and lost 50lbs. Its a lot of the same principles, but this seems more doable long term. That's the reason I'm here, because Carb Addicts didn't work long term and I gained 80 of that 50 back!

I started Monday, and haven't really strugged much. Tuesday I felt a little tired, but it passed after that day. I am finding the cravings are pretty much gone, and when people eat carbs in front of me (the crappy but tasty kind) its not bothering me at all.

I'm down 3.8lbs in the first three days, I'm happy. I started at 271.4, and my BIG goal is to have a weight that starts with 1 for my 30th birthday next May. Its ambitious but doable I think. I'm more than 5% of the way there!

EmmaD
09-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Way to go on avoiding the funnel cakes AND bagels!!

My temptations since starting Phase 1 are Phase 2-legal things: fresh fruit and bakery 100% whole wheat bread... they're harder to turn down because I can't just label them as "no nutritional value" in my mind. I haven't been around many temptations so far, but this weekend with friends will be very, very hard. I don't know yet what the plans are so I haven't been able to formulate a strategy - but probably I should just announce my dietary restrictions or they are going to think I am sick (or pregnant!) turning down beer & wine :D

moki
09-02-2010, 05:43 PM
wish I knew what to think about my weight. According to my scale I am down several pounds from my starting weight, according to the scale at my new rheumatologist's office I am up several pounds from my starting weight.

this weekend I am going to a cabin by the lake with my family, my brother and his family and my parents. I know that food will be a major part of the weekend. I have already planned some snacks and things to take, but I am a bit scared of this weekend!

Big Mama
09-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Bunny - the first few days are generally harder, but it gets better. I find that if I take it one day at a time, I'm less focused on the fact that I have to keep "suffering" xyz number of days.

summersblue...:cp: - If you could say no to funnel cake and bagels, you can totally do this.
EmmaD - I can relate to your fruit/whole grain cravings. It's kinda weird that I don't crave cake or chocolate. This just means this Ph1 concept is working. Usually, any cravings last no longer than 20 minutes, so if I can distract myself with something, I'm good.

Day2 for me... feeling OK, just sleepy, but it's probably the weather. It's going to take a lot of willpower to drag myself to the gym tonight.

choices
09-02-2010, 09:33 PM
I've always done pretty good on any diet the first 3 to 4 days, then the questions,and the urges pick up for me. Yesterday I passed on a piece of celebration birthday cake,and it was easy. I do notice today,the 4th day, I'm wanting somthing else that I've not been having. However, I have not had it. So I consider this a success. I've peeled so many veggies I could scream..and do have a few questions..where I'm supposed to ask them I'm unsure. How are all of you doing? Stay on the path my friends,and we can have a success post/with pictures some day...one day at a time.;)

Lexxiss
09-02-2010, 10:16 PM
This is a good place for P1 questions and there's also the On Plan thread.

choices
09-02-2010, 11:01 PM
[COLOR="Red"]Not sure if I'm not eating enough..or not eating enough protein,or if this is normal since I am eating 'differently'...Choices:o Thanks for the response Lexxiss/COLOR]

CyndiM
09-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Choices - you definitely shouldn't be hungry. Have you posted some sample menus? Maybe we will have some ideas. My first suggestion is always adding beans if you aren't already eating them. They are good in so many ways - filling, nutritious, lots of good fiber and they help with any South Beach flu symptoms you may be having.

While you are in Phase 1 you should definitely add more on plan foods if you are hungry.

katec
09-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Hey all, looks like everyone is doing well. I am onto Day 3 without much bother, although I am exhibiting some of the "Phase 1 Flu" symptoms, mostly in the form of a headache. I too am craving fruit and a piece of whole grain bread with almond butter - good cravings, but ones that I can't satisfy for another 12 days! I'm going to bed early and drinking tons of water. And I think this weekend I'll get some almond butter (I have plenty of nuts but this is a very specific craving!) just to have a spoonful as a snack.

Of course it doesn't help that it's been miserably hot here - would like to have spent more time outside but the air quality isn't great. The weather is turning soon and I am planning on going to a movie today to take up a good chunk of time. No popcorn will be eaten!

usam
09-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Well, got through yesterday. I must admit it was not a good planned out day. I made so much stuff for the family last night ( pork roast, rice, salad, beans and dessert) that by the time dinner time came I didn't want to make anything for myself. I ended up having steamed brocolli and string beans which was not enough! So I had 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and some string cheese and then a cup of hot sugar free cocoa before bed. During the day I don't eat much and then at night I am starving so today I planned my day out as soon as I woke up. I had some fresh eggs and hard boiled them and they had the kraft fat free cheese on sale this week so I have been snacking on that with grape tomatos during the day.
I do have some questions though:
1) Does anyone esle feel very bloated? My stomach is so bloated I feel 5 months preggers. I drink about 1 cup of water every hour so I'm not dehydrated.
2) I am a vegetarian so nuts are a big part of my diet, does it ruin the plan if I eat more than what is allowed? Like for example the other day in the afternoon I had about 5 walnuts and then after dinner I had 2TBs peanut butter but I never ate any other fat during the day.

I get really worried if I go over the limit like I'm going to gain instead of loose cause I'm trying so hard.
Thanks!

murphmitch
09-03-2010, 10:21 PM
usam, I have replaced my fats occasionally with nut servings, since they're comparable in calories and have healthy fats. I think you just have to watch it, due to high calories. This plan is really satisfying to me due to the good fats and large amounts of fiber in it, so you really want to include the 2 1/2 Tbs. of fats daily (This is in addition to the nut serving).

In regard to the bloating, are you constipated? Sometimes the high fiber foods increase intestinal gas, so maybe avoid ones that aggravate it for you.

EmmaD
09-04-2010, 06:21 PM
usam, I have replaced my fats occasionally with nut servings, since they're comparable in calories and have healthy fats. I think you just have to watch it, due to high calories. This plan is really satisfying to me due to the good fats and large amounts of fiber in it, so you really want to include the 2 1/2 Tbs. of fats daily (This is in addition to the nut serving).

^^^ Great news!

I found myself at a pizza restaurant last night, one that has my favorite thin-crust roasted veggie pizza. I had just gone to the gym to work out and really wanted the pizza. And my husband was having a beer - torture! I am happy to say that I found a really good salad with shrimp, olives, tomatoes and feta cheese with Romaine lettuce. They made their own vinaigrette and I used half of the serving. There might have been some sugar in the homemade dressing - it didn't even cross my mind to ask, but too late now. And I had a glass of ice water.

ANYway, just want to report that I felt really, really good after dinner. Not guilty, as I would have with the pizza. I even woke up smiling about it. I hope I can remember this feeling for other challenging situations.

Hope everyone is doing well on the weekend!

katec
09-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Wow, great job!! I am trying to stay away from restaurants until I'm through Phase 1, because I'm not sure I could be as strong in the face of pizza:)

Tomorrow is a bridal shower - I'm going to eat right before I go and maybe stick some nuts in my bag. Hopefully there will be veggies as part of the spread that will keep me busy - I'm sure there will be sweets, but the fact that it will be Day 5 is an achievement I'd like to keep intact.

I am really craving sweet carbs though - like a piece of zucchini bread or apple crisp. Yikes!

choices
09-04-2010, 09:54 PM
I've always done pretty good on any diet the first 3 to 4 days, then the questions,and the urges pick up for me. Yesterday I passed on a piece of celebration birthday cake,and it was easy. I do notice today,the 4th day, I'm wanting somthing else that I've not been having. However, I have not had it. So I consider this a success. I've peeled so many veggies I could scream..and do have a few questions..where I'm supposed to ask them I'm unsure. How are all of you doing? Stay on the path my friends,and we can have a success post/with pictures some day...one day at a time.;)

Doing good... (this means day 6,not lost 6)6......

choices
09-05-2010, 03:04 PM
[COLOR="Magenta"]Hi Chickies...My tip has nothing to do w/food,but it sure is helping my motivation.
Last wk. right before I started the SBD I went out w/a friend and we had our picture taken...full length body shot.
When she sent me a copy via email, I must admit I was shocked at how huge I looked. I printed off a copy,and put at the bathroom mirror,the first place I go to in the morning...and I tell myself something like
"THIS is why I'm on SB,and this is why I'm following correctly."
I know it might sound abit child-like,but it's helped me to stay focused,and on track. I though this might help someone else as well. Somehow my bathroom mirror doesn't make me look as fat as this picture does,and I trust the photo. Blessings,have a healthy week.
Choices~:hug:

Riotactress
09-05-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm on day 5 of phase one, for the third time in two years, so I totally get everything you're all saying, and some of it made me laugh.

I think the biggest problem is that we lose perspective. Especially when we "cheat". Two days ago I had one peice of sushi. I was at a Japanese restaurant with a friend, and while I had ordered only sashimi and miso soup, I of course ended up eating a peice of sushi. And I wasted 3 hours feeling guilty about it. But here's where perspective kicks in. Last week, I would have easily eaten 15 peices of sushi, undoubtedly with a side of tempura.

So when you're beating yourself up for sneaking two saltines into your tomato soup, think back to what you used to eat, and be proud of yourself for eating better than you ever have. Just be careful not to use it as an excuse for cheating all the time hahaha.

PS guilt saltines taste the best

Riotactress
09-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Oh yeah,

Phase one cookies pretty well don't exist, but I frankensteined some out of almond meal, eggs, fake margarine, splenda and cinnamon. While they mean that I have to watch the rest of the fat I eat that day, cuz it's like a handful of nuts, they're BRILLIANT and still have that satisfying texture. The trouble was only eating two and not the whole batch... I think I'll have to portion them out and freeze them... They're sitting on my counter looking at me, even as I type this...

Riotactress
09-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Monday was my day 1 on phase 1 and I did so well. Yesterday Aunt Flow came to visit and I kind of cheated a little bit. I feel bad, so bad. I ate a Kellogs Cereal 90 calorie bar. I did great all day and went to bed but woke up shaking, my sugar must have plunged and I was having a bad sugar attack. I should have had cheese or something but when I opened the fridge a fly came flying out and I wanted to throw up! My two year old opens and closes the fridge constantly and a fly must have gotten in. (In New York we never had fly's like this so I'm not used to it) Anyway it grossed me out so much I closed the fridge and went into the pantry, big mistake!
Anyway today I promise to be good! I have my week planned out and I am ready to go.
Usam,

For me, when I crash out, a glass of skim milk usually does the trick because it's still got a bit of lactose (or milk sugar) in it. But phase one is the hardest because you totally get dizzy and feel the crashes the most. It's important to stick to it though, because the reason you get dizzy is that your brain doesn't quite believe you yet, that you won't just give it glucose, which it needs to function (glucose is small enough to cross the blood brain barrier and is the main food for brains). Once you've stuck to your guns long enough, your brain says "FINE. I will make my own glucose. Out of your fat. Which I will break down and consume"

CyndiM
09-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Make sure to get your dairy servings in and include beans in your diet to help with the shakes and other sugar withdrawal problems.

Big Mama
09-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Riotactress - a special shout out to you, fellow Canadian (I am in Toronto), but get this - we are the same height AND the same weight AND we're both on day 5 of Ph1 for the third time in the past couple of years. Are you freaked out yet!? :D I'd love to have the recipe for those cookies, though! Have you posted it already in the recipe section?

Choices - hey, whatever helps you stay focused. I recently saw myself in a home video and was appalled!!! I looked positively pregnant, like 6 months along :mad: It is then I knew what I had to do.

I had a great day today, although, I could have eaten more veggies and I drank only like 6 glasses of water - definitely not enough, but I didn't cheat:smug:.

Riotactress
09-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Weeeird. I added you to my buddy list Big Momma. We can do this side by side! and then trade clothes!! via mail... I see a problem.

Ok so those cookies. Serious warning, hard not to eat more than one or two.

1 cup or so almond meal
1/4 cup splenda (the baking kind not the packets)
1 egg
cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves (any combo you like, I used them all) just a few shakes of each (less of cloves and nutmeg cuz they're strong)
1/2 tsp vanilla
shake of salt
mix these all together into a mash
melt about 1 - 2 tbsp of the most SB friendly margarine you can find.
Add the melted marg to the mash and mix it up.

Drop them onto parchment paper and bake at 350 for about 20 min. Check after 15. If they're golden on top, you're good to go. They didn't really spread so if you like flatter cookies, flatten out the spoonfulls before you put them in the oven.

I took this from a gluten free website and south beached it. Gluten free sites and diabetic sites are where I steal most of my recipes / ideas from.

Big Mama
09-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the recipe, Buddie! :hug: I have three (3!) skinny kids and an intolerably skinny husband at home so I'm not too worried about the cookie OD. You're totally right about the recipe websites for the gluten sensitive and the insulin resistant (I suspect I may be the latter, slightly perhaps...)!

christi713
09-06-2010, 02:35 AM
Hong Kong-I like eggs too...in general...but I am so sick of eggs I could scream. I switched off of doing eggs in the morning and I think that was one of the major reasons I was constipated. I had eggs this morning again for breakfast (gagged the entire time) and I was back on schedule....as far as a BM goes. The eggs really do help but if you need a break definitely go for the other options you mentioned. I hate cottage cheese and pretty much any other kind of chese other than my colby jack and cheddar so those options are out for me. I am a verrrry picky eater.

Good luck to you though and let us know how it worked out for you with switching it up. Right now I am sticking to eggs, regardless of the fact that they make me gag, because they keep me regular and they give me a results the next morning on the scale!

I am starting tomorrow. Still trying to learn everything. I just got the book today. How do you prepare your eggs?

toothlady
09-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Phase one is over.....Total loss is 11 lbs and 3 inches from my waist!!!!! YAHOO!!!!

Now can someone tell me where I can find the 3fatchicks tickers???? Can I not configure one either until I have reached 20 posts?

katec
09-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Phase one is over.....Total loss is 11 lbs and 3 inches from my waist!!!!! YAHOO!!!!

Now can someone tell me where I can find the 3fatchicks tickers???? Can I not configure one either until I have reached 20 posts?

Amazing, congratulations!!

I'm not sure about the ticker but I have 21 posts and have used mine since the start.

Day 6 and I too have had it with eggs. I'm going back to work tomorrow and am wondering what I'll do about breakfasts for the next few days, but I'll figure it out. Probably fat free greek yogurt sprinkled with a little cinnamon. The good news is my carb cravings are really subsiding - plus it's a mental achievement for me to get through this, as I have continually failed at weight loss for the last few years. Lots of fits and starts. This is boosting my confidence!

toothlady
09-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I guess I just have to find the tickers! :)

I no longer have cravings either. We have eaten out several times since starting and its great to be able to find such SB friendly dishes in restaurants!

I am totally shocked that I have finally found something I could stick to!

Grocery shopping is a pain now though because I am reading EVERYTHING!!! :yes:

toothlady
09-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Oh I am looking for the 3fatchicks.com tickers.

Edited: I found them! I just can't see it yet....probably because I haven't reached the number of posts required.

EmmaD
09-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Sounds like everyone is doing great!

I've had a good weekend so far. Today will be more challenging, I'll be in transit and hanging out with friends most of the day. All these friends are naturally skinny and don't ever think about what they eat so that's usually bad news for me :p

I've lost about 3 pounds on Week 1. Which is unbelievable, as I have been trying to lose those 3 pounds for probably around 6 months - yes, specifically those 3 pounds as they put me in a new weight "decade" that I hadn't seen since 2008. I don't have that much weight to lose, but I still need to lose a good 10+ lbs more (stinkin' "small frame"!) to be back at the weight where I used to comfortably reside. Anyway, it's been nearly two solid years of trying to get to this point. So :yay: for small victories!

I have to admit that I have not been 100% perfect, but I'd say 95%. The only additions were things that were fine for Phase 2, and most of that occurred one day last week (Thursday, maybe?) when I felt really groggy, headache-y, grumpy... So at least I didn't gorge on cheesecake and call it a small cheat :) It's like what rioactress said, it's a VAST improvement over my cookie-binge of two weeks ago!!

On a funny note, I had to visit a big supermarket to buy a few things I was craving on Phase 1 - nsa hot chocolate, sf Torani vanilla syrup, nsa ketchup and shirataki noodles. And that's all I bought there. The noodles were on sale, so I bought a bunch and the cashier was asking me about them, why I liked them so much. Hard to explain, but I really do like them! In fact, that was the main item I was in search of there. I think the cashier thought I was a bit weird, though...

BellaLucia
09-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Day 3 of P1 will begin in 20 something minutes, yea me!

Natasha1534
09-07-2010, 02:53 AM
For those of you struggling w/ breakfast on Phase I and getting sick and tired of eggs, don't forget that nothing says you have to eat breakfast food for breakfast. ;) Lots of people do things like turkey roll-ups and what not.

EmmaD
09-07-2010, 08:25 PM
For those of you struggling w/ breakfast on Phase I and getting sick and tired of eggs, don't forget that nothing says you have to eat breakfast food for breakfast. ;) Lots of people do things like turkey roll-ups and what not.

I was also just thinking today that egg crepes - which obviously are eggs, lol - are so thin that you barely notice the eggs are there. Egg crepes are basically just really thin omelets but have more of a wrapper-like quality than an eggy quality. Here's (http://simplygluten-free.blogspot.com/2008/03/gluten-free-egg-crepes.html) a recipe. One of my fave breakfasts, which maybe I'll revive tomorrow, is "creamed" spinach (just frozen spinach cooked with Laughing Cow light wedge/s and blended together) inside an egg crepe with a side of sliced tomatoes or a V-8.

Welcome, Week 1-ers! It gets better... For what it's worth, my low point was around Day 4, but things feel good now (Day 9).

Week 2-ers, we're gettin' through it :carrot:! Are you starting to think about what you will add back first?

choices
09-07-2010, 09:06 PM
I totally agree w/another poster...about what you eat at breakfast. We are totally tooo indoctronated in my opinion. I eat c.cheese w/ fresh tomatoes,and sometimes what ever is my healthy/on program left overs for dinner..What ever works! If it's in plan for dinner,then it's in plan for breakfast,,,lunch...etc. It's food..It's healthy,and it's legal (to use a phrase from WW)

Natasha1534
09-07-2010, 09:31 PM
One of my fave breakfasts, which maybe I'll revive tomorrow, is "creamed" spinach (just frozen spinach cooked with Laughing Cow light wedge/s and blended together) inside an egg crepe with a side of sliced tomatoes or a V-8.

Funny you should mention creamed spinach b/c I've got a recipe from a cooking class I attended in April that I want to try to make SB friendly. The biggest hurdle, though, is the entire stick of butter it calls for. LOL I know I could use a substitute that's SB friendly, but I don't know how it would turn out. The flour is easy...just replace w/ wheat flour. Half and half...just use evaporated skim milk. But those 2 changes along w/ the butter...hmmmm, I'm skeptical.

summersbluepits
09-07-2010, 09:55 PM
I had a bowl of hot and sour soup today, was that a big cheat? i'm almost done with Phase 1 and feel terrible I screwed up.

ShellydeFlores
09-08-2010, 01:11 AM
AND I'm back on Phase 1. Fell off the wagon...gained 4 lbs. Now I am back down though so I've been good all day today. Hopefully will see a difference tomorrow as well.

Christi713--I finally found a way I can actually eat my eggs. I have this cheese cubes in my fridge and I cut them in small pieces and throw them in with my eggs. This isn't that unusual...I do this all the time but this time I cooked them different. I constantly move the eggs around but I didn't cook them until they were fully done. I allowed them to still be a little shiny and the chunks of cheese were just barely melting. They were so good and I dare to say I have brought back my love of eggs. I DO NOT miss the first few days of SB though. I go to the bathroom at the same time everyday---11:30! My stomach didn't feel so hot today. Shock to the system I guess.

Riotactress
09-08-2010, 03:16 AM
I don't know anyone who has ever made it through Phase one without hating eggs with a fiery passion. I think my favourite breakfast is whatever I had for dinner last night.
So far the best cold leftover breakfast has been cabbage rolls (P1 friendly of course, no rice or bottled tomato sauce or anything fun like that). Like a breakfast burrito, only cabbagey... But it wasn't eggs. And the breakfast veg was built in. I have a rough time choking down veg at 6am so it was a nice change.
But I am seriously counting down the days until I can eat steel cut oats oatmeal for breakfast. 7 to go!! That first grainy breakfast will taste better than any junk food or fatty food I used to eat. I think that's the best thing about this diet. You're so satisfied with very slightly less healthy foods in tiny amounts, that it never occurs to you to eat something like a chocolate bar. Yay us!!!

Big Mama
09-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Hey! So one week down, one more to go and I have lost 4 lbs already which for me is a big success. I worked out 4 times this week and I feel good about doing this another week. I guess mentally, it's easier knowing that you're past the halfway mark. I am having trouble getting 4-5 cups of vegs in. Can't do it. Lettuce makes me hungry and burpy :o(sorry), tomatoes, which I love, can only be consumed in moderation, broccoli - meh... zucchini - can't even look at them any more, peppers give me heartburn... So I suffer. The good news is I don't miss or crave anything.
Re: spinach, I eat it raw, seasoned with EVOO and apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper and a sprinkle of e.g. grated romano cheese. Or I dump some sauteed mushrooms on it.

choices
09-08-2010, 02:21 PM
When I use to diet before,(mostly starve) I allowed myself one meal of my choice per wk. after being on plan for the week. Sometimes it was a simple tunafish sandwich,most often it seems I missed my cheezeburgers (with the bun of course). I've been thinking of that same cheeseburger the last couple of days,alot. I remember I held this 'carrot' (food I love)out in front of me so I'd stay on track,and it worked. However I know using food as a reward for anything is not a good idea,however I stayed within six pounds of my goal weight for over20yrs.
So far I'm doing well, havn't taken a dive off the deep end. Not sure with this thyroid business I'm dealing with if the numbers on the scale will show up presentable enough,as weight loss now is extremely slow,which can kill the gung-ho-ness. I will see in a few days. I have no question that I'll finish though. Hanging tough~:cool: Choices

zeffryn
09-08-2010, 03:16 PM
you know what i use instead of food to reward myself? pedicures. it gives me at least an hour to myself or with a girlfriend and the best foot/leg rub ever. i get one every two weeks if i've done well at weigh-ins and met my exercise goals during those two weeks.

choices
09-08-2010, 09:22 PM
you know what i use instead of food to reward myself? pedicures. it gives me at least an hour to myself or with a girlfriend and the best foot/leg rub ever. i get one every two weeks if i've done well at weigh-ins and met my exercise goals during those two weeks.
Thanks abunch for the recomendation.
However,when I want a hamburger,a pedicure doesn't cut it. What I did do was make my own hamburger to satisfy. I put alot of baby spinach on a plate,with some home grown tomatoes,and a few olives..and then made a hamburger patty,with some greek feta on top...and I am a satisfied camper! Changes...oh yea, changes.:carrot:

Natasha1534
09-09-2010, 12:35 AM
I am having trouble getting 4-5 cups of vegs in. Can't do it. Lettuce makes me hungry and burpy :o(sorry), tomatoes, which I love, can only be consumed in moderation, broccoli - meh... zucchini - can't even look at them any more, peppers give me heartburn... So I suffer.

Are you on any meds for heartburn??? I suffered for years and years until my mom finally convinced me to ask my doctor for a prescription for Aciphex. I looooooooooooove it. I haven't had heartburn since!!! Unfortunately, my insurance stopped paying for Aciphex, so I had to switch to Nexium. It works well, too, though and I'm still heartburn free. And I'm talking I used to WAKE UP w/ heartburn before I even ate anything!!!

Big Mama
09-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Natasha - I am not taking any meds at the moment, but I used to take Nexium on several occasions when it'd get really bad (constant "lump" in my throat, constant burping, constant pain). It worked well for me too, except I had bad headaches as a side effect. I find that it's stress induced for me, although I also have to stay away from certain foods (peppers among other things). For random bouts of heartburn, I usually take Zantac, and I'm fine.

p.a.
09-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Today is day 1 of Phase 1 for me for the second time....did so well in the spring with this eating but when I started on phase 2 I started adding too many extras....will know better this time...

EmmaD
09-11-2010, 02:23 AM
... when I want a hamburger,a pedicure doesn't cut it. What I did do was make my own hamburger to satisfy. I put alot of baby spinach on a plate,with some home grown tomatoes,and a few olives..and then made a hamburger patty,with some greek feta on top...and I am a satisfied camper! Changes...oh yea, changes.:carrot:

I was thinking the same thing, about trying to find acceptable substitutions. Today I had "spaghetti and meatballs" (or actually: shriataki noodles with nsa marinara sauce and SBD-compatible veggie meatballs). Honestly, I don't think I would have been happier with anything else and the whole filling bowl was less than 300 calories and 7 g of fiber.

Things are going OK in general. The only "cravings" I have are for things OK in Phase 2, so I guess that's good. Or am supposed to be rid of all cravings?

I know I will be off plan on Saturday - it's an event that was planned way before I decided to go on Phase 1 and there is no way to request special foods. So my plan is to exercise in the morning, eat plenty of healthy things before the event, strive for moderation while there. AND ya never know, I might be able to stick pretty close to Phase 1. I'll sure try. But I'm thinking about a few extra Phase 1 days after that. I'm not sure yet. I was supposed to be done on Sunday. Maybe I'll just see how I feel after Sunday.

Have a great weekend, Phase 1-ers!

choices
09-11-2010, 02:08 PM
:)I like being proud of myself,my behavior,and sticking to my resolve. It's very powerful being in control of food desires..Two more days of P1, and time to think of what I will add as a P2 beacher. The last time I was there (moving from p1 to p2)I gained 4lbs.the first wk. and not with any crazy eating..I started w/a bowl of oatmeal in the morning,I don't really like oatmeal but was focusing on the health aspect of it,the 2nd day it was fresh strawberries, etc. healthy choices. So now I'm not sure how to proceed,what to pick.:dizzy:I want to plan ahead so I have my options set up it, helps me manage any excuses. What are your new additions chicks?..as we all tippy-toe into p2~Choices~
and may I add my prayers,and good thoughts to all that suffered the 9/11...tragedy:hug:

CyndiM
09-11-2010, 02:44 PM
I was all about the apples when I moved to Phase II. I started 10/1 and really wanted an apple the first day I could have one :) I'd been cutting them up to dry for two weeks and it was driving me crazy. Best apple I ever ate!

Big Mama
09-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Well, after 10 days on Ph1 - I have apparently moved on to 1.5:rolleyes: I ate about a cup of strawberries today (the other meals were Ph1), and it wasn't one of those "spur of the moment cave ins", I actually planned to. I am down 6 lbs and a little freaked out that I have lost this much in 10 days - I'm thinking, whoa, that's too much too soon, ya know what I mean... and it was enough for me to just say, OK, it's time to add some fruits and slow down. I'll be happy to lose 2-4 lbs more until the end of the month though.
So the plan is to move more now and be very very strict with how fast and in what quantities I'm reintroducing the carbs.

p.a. - Same here. Every time I failed on SBD, it was because I went crazy on Ph2 and lost control over the amount and the quality of the carbs I was eating.

CindyM - everything tastes so much better! :) It's the same as when I quit smoking - incidentally, that's when I started eating like a mad woman and gaining weight...

katec
09-12-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm ready for Phase 2, for sure. 2.5 more days :)

The past couple of weeks I have spent what feels like a fortune on food and spent a lot of time cooking. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm exhausted! However, I didn't want to take any chances on eating non-legal foods. This is the first time in ages I've stuck with any diet for longer than 2 days, so I'm pretty stoked.

But I've got a Gingergold apple ready for Wednesday!

EmmaD
09-12-2010, 10:28 PM
I knew I would be a little off plan (one dinner) this weekend, so I will probably stay on Phase 1 a couple more days to see how things are going before I move on for real.

Berries. I think berries will be the first thing to add back. And flax meal (I am really missing my "muffin in a minute"!). But also carrots for sure!

ShellydeFlores
09-12-2010, 11:22 PM
So I gained a couple of pounds. Have not been keeping on track at all the last couple of weeks. Even though I did hit my new low of 262...it went right back up and as of this morning was at 264.8. Very frustrating but it is my own fault.

I hope everyone else is doing well.

SwimGirl
09-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Hi all! Hoping you can welcome me back with open arms!! I started SB in June, and did well through June, and July - even when I was on my 2 week vacation! But August kicked me in the rear :( Too many visitors, too much eating out. So I gotta get my system in check! Back to Phase 1 I go! Can't wait to get to know you all :)

Question - anyone workout during phase 1? I've been seeing a personal trainer and realllllly don't want to stop!

-Aimee

BellaLucia
09-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Welcome back SwimGirl . I am killing it on Phase 1. I weigh in today!

kaseymac
09-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Ok.... Day 1 of Phase 1 and starting out GREAT! Ate the egg muffins for breakfast and they were delicious!!! Hope the rest of the diet is this easy!

BellaLucia
09-13-2010, 12:35 PM
U took the first step K-Mac! U'll do well!

EmmaD
09-13-2010, 01:58 PM
:welcome3: new folks and repeaters!

I am finishing up my two weeks, possibly staying on a couple more days due to a somewhat off-plan dinner Saturday night.

I have only lost 2 pounds; I bumped up a little from my low last week (BEFORE the Saturday night dinner, though, so that didn't affect my weight at all). But 2 pounds is 2 pounds, and I'll take it :) I didn't expect much since: 1) I don't have that much to lose and 2) I have been *pretty much* eating by Phase 2 (OK, with a fair number of binge-y cheats) since February.

Question - anyone workout during phase 1? I've been seeing a personal trainer and realllllly don't want to stop!

Oh yeah, I did! But nothing terribly strenuous, requiring endurance - brisk walking, yoga classes, some weights at the gym. But Phase 1 wasn't a huge shift in diet for me. I'd imagine if you have been eating really differently it will be a big adjustment and maybe exercise would be too much to add into the equation... but in your case you have already been seeing a trainer so it would probably be fine, you just might not be able to do as much as you were before until you adjust...

Have a great week, everyone!

SwimGirl
09-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Food Obsessed - how was your WI?

kasey - I am just starting this morning as well! Well, re-starting! :)

Emma - I didn't workout the first time around, but I really have been eating fairly close to phase 2 for the last month or so. I think I will give it a go, thanks for the input :) 2 pounds is good - especially if you don't have too much more to go! I am hoping to lose about 5-6 pounds, but 4 of those pounds were my gain from the summer.

-Aimee

choices
09-13-2010, 09:08 PM
For someone w/thryoid issues(slow),and over 50yrs. I figured 7lbs.at best. I was hoping for that best,and I got 10lbs. Lost!:carrot:I'm stoked:D I do know that some of this is water..etc.etc. For a woman of the mid/older sect.,losing weight is so much more difficult..(believe me,) I use to be able to lose a pound a day when I was in my 20's/30's...Of course then I smoked and drank diet soda all day. This is a real treat that I have earned for myself. :cool: I'm very pleased. I've found a few good things to do/eat that I didn't do before so that may have made the difference. Anybody interested I'll list them. Hope all my chickie group is satisfied with their results as well. Now the plan is to cooooooooooooool it,and not go crazy into phase 2. choices~

murphmitch
09-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Congratulations choices! I'm in the same boat as you (age wise) and have been thrilled with SB. It's the only plan I have been able to maintain on without constant hunger & thought of food all day!

BellaLucia
09-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Hey MM, didn't realize until you said so that I've rarely been hungry on plan! Wow!

SwimGirl
09-14-2010, 12:12 AM
Well I made it through Day 1! I think I was pretty successful! I made myself a hot cocoa for a snack this evening, and ended up having 2, not exactly what I planned - but I went coffee-free today! That was also NOT planned, I just bought coffee the other day and it was expired :(

On to day 2!

-Aimee

ShellydeFlores
09-14-2010, 02:26 AM
Starting over again! Did well today and stuck to my lean meats and vegetables. I've decided to make excess veggies at dinner and have those for breakfast since I am REALLY sick of eggs. HAHA. I don't know if I'll ever eat eggs again.

murphmitch
09-14-2010, 09:20 AM
I just bought coffee the other day and it was expired :(
-Aimee

Coffee expires? :?:

SwimGirl
09-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Anne - it was one of those pods a single serving, a latte! Very yummy, but yes they expire because of the milk :(

So I worked out yesterday, and was also 100% on plan yesterday. I had a 1.3 GAIN this morning, hoping it's just water retention from my workout!

-Aimee

want2bfit4me
09-14-2010, 08:06 PM
choices I to have thryoid issues. I will be 50 in Feb and I agree with you it is like pulling teeth now to loose weight. I have been exercising since June 28th and watching what I am eating since July 19th. I have finally made the 10 lb mark. I did get off course a few times but still yet it is harder to loose as we get older.

So yest I would love to read any helpful hints you have.

Leann

SwimGirl
09-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Day 2 complete! I made it through despite some cravings and some temptations! They had coconut-chocolate things at work today, the hugest pile EVER, omg.. but I resisted :D Hopefully the scale is nicer to me tomorrow!

-Aimee

Big Mama
09-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Yay for swimgirl - it couldn't have been easy to resist those chocolate-coconut treats. We had some friends over on Sunday and they brought a big box of fancy middle-eastern pastries (too sweet for my taste, which is saying a lot), and I made my husband take it all to his workplace. I almost feel bad about it when I think of the temptation it must have caused for the unsuspecting dieters who walked into THAT kitchen.

I fell off the wagon on Sunday night and because I was upset about it, I ate totally off plan on Monday. I don't see any change on the scale, so that's a relief and a great motivation boost to get back on track. So today, I'm back on hardcore Ph1 and I did really well. I even ate all the veggies I was supposed to eat. Usually, if I have an off day, I just continue with one bad day after another and that goes on for weeks, even months before I get serious about eating right again. :( I'll be on Ph1 for another couple of days, just to be sure my cravings are under control again.

katec
09-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Everyone is doing great! Keep strong ladies :hug:

Phase 1 is over and the grand total is.....7 lbs down. I was honestly hoping to be more towards the 13 lb. total, but I will take this! Especially since I got through TOM and stressful days at work. Today, I have some raspberries that I will be enjoying to transition me into Phase 2. Once I weigh in next week, I'll take stock of how the change affected me and make adjustments.

BellaLucia
09-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Swimgirl, my psychiatrist forgot his scale. I am weighing in at the regular doctor's office on Friday so wish me luck!

want2bfit4me
09-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Guess I was not really planning it but after looking at my food diary I have been doing Phase 1 of South Beach.

I done it 3 years ago and lost 30lbs. Gained a few back and now since I have become a diabetic I am trying to go as low carb as I can stand. My blood sugars have been wonderful and I have dropped 2 pounds since Monday.
So maybe I need to stick with this for the next 2 weeks and get a better jump start on things.

For supper tonight
baked pork loin
green beans
steamed cabbage

Leann

SwimGirl
09-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Big Mama - the coconut-chocolate things were there again! AND Lindt released 3 new chocolate bars, and they gave us samples! But again I resisted :D Honestly I think it's great to share, and it's my responsibility as a dieter to pick and choose what I want - so don't feel too bad about getting those treats out of your house! Hope those cravings go away for you - I was seriously craving some chicken wings yesterday, weird craving! How'd you do on phase 1?

katec - congrats on getting thru phase 1! 7 pounds is GREAT :D

FoodObsessed - good luck on Friday! Can't wait to hear how you made out!

Leann - mmmmm green beans! I was going to have some with my dinner too!

Day 3 and I was 100% on plan!! I have decided to skip the exercise for the next couple of weeks, I am exhausted from work and have to get up at 4am for the rest of the week, and on Sunday I work 8:30am-9pm. I can't even begin to think about where to fit in some exercise!

-Aimee

Big Mama
09-16-2010, 11:32 AM
You guys are ROCKING Phase 1! It's so cool that everyone is doing so well.:cool:

Katec - just tell yourself that having lost 7 lbs. is better than 6. Or 5. Or 0. :) And! it's healthier than having lost 13. Enjoy the berries!

Swimgirl, I salute you once again:) Your willpower is inspirational!

I think I did pretty well on Ph1 this time. Honestly, I don't think I'd ever done better (usually, I'd lose about 6-7 lbs). I got on the scale this morning and I am 8 lbs down. My cravings are under control, I could have exercised a bit more consistently, but overall - I'm happy. If I continue to lose 1 lbs per week from now on - I'll be content. Any more than that - a bonus. In fact, my goal for the rest of the month is to lose 10 lbs total. So 2 more!

Well, it's my daughter's b-day and I'll be eating out tonight - I plan on staying with Ph1 throughout the day, eat some almonds before dinner and order something as close to SBD as possible.

Good luck FoodObsessed and Leann!

SwimGirl
09-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Big Mama - I don't know where I get it! Congrats on your 8 pounds :D And more so, congrats on getting your cravings under control - not an easy thing to do! Have a great dinner out!

It's day 4 today, and I am officially down 2 pounds - not too bad for 3 days on plan! :D Food is all planned and packed as I'm just heading to work, should be a good day!

-Aimee

SwimGirl
09-17-2010, 01:25 AM
Made it thru day 4, was tempted by everything. I'm pretty darn tired. Tomorrow should be interesting! I have to get up sooooo darn early!!

How's everyone doing??

-Aimee

Big Mama
09-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Hang in there, swimgirl! Ph1 IS hard and it's not easy to completely overhaul one's eating habits in a few days - those same habits that got us where we are now are also extremely hard to kick. I had quit smoking many years ago and it wasn't nearly as hard as "quitting" food. And I'm not even really quitting anything, I'm just trying to say no to certain things for a while and trying to teach myself moderation and control. (With cigs, it was either I smoke, or I don't - clearly not a good analogy for food, BUT it's an addiction just the same). Take one day at a time, and do come on here if you're having a bad day.

Dinner out was OK, although I did sneak a morsel of cake in. Other than that, I did well. Funny thing though, I had decided I'd have an off plan treat for dinner (special occasion), and when I got a chance to eat it, it wasn't even that appealing. I could totally eat a single bite be happy with it.

EmmaD
09-17-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure what phase I'm on any more :dizzy:

I had a pretty good run with Phase 1, Aug 31 - Sep 11. I overcame some pretty big hurdles - the Mexican restaurant, the day at the "skinny people who eat whatever"'s house... but I knew I had an event on a Saturday night and I think I pretty much Phase 2-ed it.

Then I haven't really figured out what to do next - I've been pretty much on Phase 2 this week, but mostly not in a good way. As in: nothing technically off plan - so :yay: for that - but too much 100% whole wheat BREAD, not enough veggies and overall erratic eating, like with loss of appetite for long periods of time (VERY odd for me).

So - I am back to Phase 1 for today. I'm planning to ease into Phase 1.5 over the weekend, but I'll see how it goes and decide if I need more Phase 1 days to stay on track.

Have a great on-plan weekend - stay strong!

BellaLucia
09-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Good luck EmmaD! I've lost 10lbs on P1. P1 ends tomorrow for me!

CyndiM
09-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Congratulations Okie!

BellaLucia
09-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks Cyndi.

EmmaD
09-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Yes, :congrat:!! That's great inspiration!

I only lost 2. But I just calculated that it is 17% of my goal, so there ya go - an important 2 lbs.

:yay:

SwimGirl
09-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Made it thru Day 5 and Day 6 with not too many problems :) Today will be an interesting test - I am working 8am-9pm, with dinner out. Tomorrow is the 1 week WI so I will be careful since I'd love to see a good number!

Big Mama - congrats on your dinner out! I am feeling really great these days, not too sure the bad food would be worth it anymore! Good luck on phase 2 :)

Emma - I think the "phase 1.5" thing is actually a great idea, get your body readjusted to all those foods. How's the weekend going with it?

FoodObsessed - congrats on 10 pounds!! Great job :D

-Aimee

jeanies
09-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Hope you all don't mind me joining the group. Starting SB Supercharged today!
Heading out in a bit to get more of the foods I need for phase 1.:)

zestfest
09-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Starting SB Phase 1 tomorrow. Trying to work on meal planning a little bit now. I did SB in high school and went from 170 to 140, and in the last three years I've regained 10 pounds. I want to get to 125 this time, before my college graduation.

I have the SB book with recipes and a separate SB Quick and Easy cookbook so between all that, I think phase 1 shouldn't be too bad. Fingers crossed!

BellaLucia
09-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Congrats Emma! Good luck Erin. Phase 1 really knocks out cravings!

LaurenBelle
09-20-2010, 12:35 AM
I started Phase 1 today. I did quite a bit of food prep last night so that i would have ready-to-go snacks and meals that were on plan. But this morning I tried to eat two "egg muffins" and couldnt finish them, I started gagging. They didnt smell very appealing, and they were chewy and the tops were all wet from being sealed in the fridge before they were 100% cooled down. I have another 10 in the fridge and I hate to waste a dozen eggs by throwing them out. Maybe I should try heating them up tomorrow since I ate them cold today.

SwimGirl
09-20-2010, 01:26 PM
I made it through day 7 - yesterday, which was a 13 hour day for me! And today I am down 2.5 pounds for the first week! Not GREAT results, but still decent results :)

Onwards to week 2 of phase 1! Can't wait for it to be over, I miss carrots! :lol:

-Aimee

EmmaD
09-20-2010, 02:04 PM
OK, I fell off this weekend. It all started Saturday night when friends were over. They brought a ton of junk with them. Even though I had enough healthy things around, and I held off for a while, I got hungry and started in on some chocolate chip cookies. Ugh, not even homemade, just from a store. I was drinking some wine and I think that makes me more hungry and lowers my resistance so I need to be more careful about that.

Then, Sunday morning. OF COURSE there were leftovers from the night before and of course I felt icky from all the wine, so... well, I won't go into details, but let's just say I didn't even hold out for the good stuff!! Just nasty processed stuff. Why o WHY :?:

Dinner party last night and I already knew it was going to be white pasta. So I brought a salad, but for the most part just gave up and enjoyed the meal, including dessert (with berries at least) and wine.

So I am a bit frustrated with myself that I can do so well for 3 weeks then crash & burn. I am trying to learn from this and some of the key things I have taken away from this weekend are: 1) ALWAYS make sure there is healthy stuff around when people are over, or I am at someone else's house (bring crudites and hummus, for example) 2) eat before going somewhere where less-than-ideal food is being served 3) watch the alcohol - stick to the 1-glass serving, on Phase 2 of course.

Wow, nothing new there. I guess I should add 4) stick to what you plan to do! That's the hard one!

So I'm going to be hanging out on Phase 1 a few more days ...

LaurenBelle - I never got into the egg muffins either, at least not ones made ahead. But some people swear by them, so I don't know... for sure heat them up, at least the wetness will be gone but they might be even more chewy... I often just microwave a beaten egg in a coffee cup (with added cheese, spinach, whatever) - it takes about a minute to cook and for me at least, tastes way better than the baked-ahead eggs.

Aimee - I hear you on the carrots. Look at my ticker - it has carrots and peas on it. Sad.

Erin & Jeanies - :welcome3: to Phase 1 and :goodluck:

WibblyWobbly
09-20-2010, 06:56 PM
I started Phase 1 today. I picked up a week's worth of food. I didn't care for many recipes in the book. I found a ton of great recipes on here.

LaurenBelle
09-20-2010, 09:13 PM
The egg muffins turned out to be much tastier when heated up. I think I will be able to finish them all now, instead of wasting them.

zestfest
09-20-2010, 11:44 PM
First day of phase 1 complete here too. Felt pretty good except for this evening when I think I just got too hungry, but nothing sounded terribly appealing. Had some chili for dinner followed by a SF fudgesicle and feeling pretty good now. Amazing how you really don't feel hungry if you avoid sugar!

EmmaD
09-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Had my day planned well yesterday. Had a binge-y diversion in the afternoon (BAD) but got back on track for dinner (GOOD). Then another diversion in the evening (BAD). Totally emotional, I was annoyed with my husband for some stupid little thing.

What did I learn? Don't keep :censored: in the house! We had friends over on the weekend and had some remnants around (the rest is going in the compost & garbage bin today).

And take a walk or go to the gym or make a cup of tea if I am annoyed

Today is a new day :D

Aimes
09-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Day 1 of South Beach. Did atkins a few years ago gained weight back and now starting back to a healthier version.

Is spagetti squash ok for phase 1?

Natasha1534
09-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Day 1 of South Beach. Did atkins a few years ago gained weight back and now starting back to a healthier version.

Is spagetti squash ok for phase 1?

Yes, spaghetti squash is fine for Phase I. Check the recipe section...there's a really good recipe for a Baked "Spaghetti" using spaghetti squash. YUM!!!

zestfest
09-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Staying strong on day 4 of phase 1. Last time I did phase 1 I was 17 and in high school and it was AWFUL - I felt sick and shaky all the time. This time I feel surprisingly normal. I think the effort to eat tons of veggies has really helped. I'm down 3 pounds today, and while I'm sure much of that isn't "real" weight, I'm liking seeing the numbers nonetheless!

WibblyWobbly
09-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Yesterday, I popped a gummy Life-save into my mouth without thinking. I remembered I am doing SBD about three seconds later and spit it out. Other than that, I have stuck to the diet quite well. I am still struggling with eating enough veggies. I didn't have a morning serving of veggies. My mid-day snack will be celery and Laughing Cow cheese. Lunch will be an easy veggie serving to reach. Dinner will have veggies. I tried to drink a V8 this morning. Ugh! I hated it. I haven't weighed myself, but I feel thinner. I notice it in my ribs, arms, neck and chest. Noticing weight loss is always a good feeling!

lyssas
09-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi everybody. :) My name is Stacy and I have just restarted the SBD. Congrats to all of you who are doing so well! I have done SBD before and lost 35 lbs. I slacked off over the summer and have gained about 15 of that back. :( I am on again but I'm having problems getting it to come off this time! I don't know what the deal is, I have been following the plan. I usually have eggs for breakfast, salad (lettuce, tomato, and dressing) and a meat, small salad, and veggies for supper. I've been working out, also. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you!!

swinegeart
09-24-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm Stephanie, I have come and gone many times but here I am trying SBD again. So far I am on day 3 and going strong. 5 pounds down and pretty excited, i know it's water weight since im peeing like crazy but still excited! I have been very tired, but not too hugry, though I am making myself eat. Good luck to everyone else starting! Wish me some luck and will power to get through this weekend coming up, that's usually when I crumble! Thanks!

zestfest
09-24-2010, 11:13 AM
You can do it Stephanie! I'm going to visit my family this week and I'm a little nervous about staying on plan, but I'm going to bring a cooler of SB-friendly snacks and such just to make sure I can eat well and not be a pain to whoever is cooking. And congrats on the 5lb weight loss!

LaurenBelle
09-25-2010, 10:36 PM
I had my first weekly weigh in on South Beach today and I lost 8 pounds! I am so excited, I was hoping for 4, so 8 is amazing. I deliberately didnt step on the scales all week so that today would be a surprise, and it certainly was. I am so happy this is working for me:)

wesley587
09-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Serious congrats to you!! I have just finished day 3 and hope that by the end of my week my results are almost as good as yours! :)

WibblyWobbly
09-26-2010, 11:22 AM
I am super excited this morning. I stepped on the scales to see 154. I started out at 158. Tomorrow will be the beginning of week two! The only time I have dropped off the diet was yesterday. I had two bites of low fat/sugar strawberry yogurt. I know phase 1 is plain yogurt only. I did stop myself at two bites.

wesley587
09-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Yeah Wibbly! Congrats on your progress!

zestfest
09-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Congrats ladies! I'm nervous/excited to weigh in tomorrow after my first week.spent the weekend roadtripping but ate on plan except for a few too many nuts... Fingers crossed!

Is anyone doing the supercharged sb workout with phase 1?

jeanies
09-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Day 5 of phase 1 and down 3lbs!

erinzest- I am not following the book exercise program per se but I do interval walk/run workouts and weight training. I am a believer that it makes a big difference in fat loss not just scale weight.

LaurenBelle
09-27-2010, 07:34 AM
I havent been exercising really, i take my weekly swing dance class and ive walked from one train stop down back home. but now that im feeling way more energy i actually want to do more. what an odd feeling :)

zestfest
09-27-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm doing the book exercises but it's tough to get my heart rate up high enough on the walking intervals, so I think I might go back to running. The strength section of the book is nice, though.

Lauren: How are your swing dancing classes? I was just thinking about signing up for some with my boyfriend!

I weighed in this morning and am down 4.5lbs, and 9lbs from 3 weeks ago, when I sort of started eating phase 2ish to ease into phase 1. I am so thrilled to think that I may actually see the 130s for the first time in years! And my BMI is no longer "overweight." Woohoo!

Good luck fellow phase 1ers!

WibblyWobbly
09-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Congrats to Jeanies, Erinzest and Lauren. My official week one loss is 4lbs. I feel like I am down about a pant size. Fortunately, I have a closet that ranges from size 4-15. I hope to fit into my winter clothes soon. I have had a cold for the past two days. I am struggling to make myself eat when I need to. I probably only took in about 1/4 of the recommended veggies for yesterday. I am going to be a little more observant today and keep up with the veggies.

Boo-Boo
09-28-2010, 01:39 PM
I too started again on Phase 1 on Monday after being off SB for a year and a half. That was my healthiest time and I miss it. I miss the control I kept and the results I got. I got frustrated because in Phase 2 I wasn't losing anything mainly because I wasn't exercising enough! I am going to try to get back to where I left off and try again...wish me luck!

WibblyWobbly
09-28-2010, 05:52 PM
I have discovered a "sweet" snack. I add a drop of SF syrup to peanuts and shuffle them around. I tried the upgraded ricotta cheese recipes in the books. I just can't get past the texture. I don't mind when it is cooked into things. Eating it as a snack is just not for me. I stood on the scales after a walk and found that I have lost a total of 5lbs in 8 days.

jyoyo78
09-28-2010, 06:40 PM
okay then....here we go again. 3rd times a charm, right? Except that it'll be my 4th time. But I don't count the 1st time around because I had no idea what I was doing back then :)

So, pretty much did phase 1 yesterday...but today is my official P1 D1!! I've have such awesome success with SB in the past...not sure why I ever stop eating the SB way, I just regret it later..bleh. So...here we go again. Weighed in at 194.4 this morning. So, I guess I've only gained back 5 lbs from my last go around...but still..I should be to goal by now!! lol

Wish me luck!!

WibblyWobbly
10-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Yesterday, I broke my diet. I have been sick and after being a little more active the day before, I was exhausted and the day was far from over. I picked up a Starbucks energy drink. I am not much of an energy drink, but I didn't get my morning coffee. I am going to call my doctor and schedule an appointment to have my thyroid checked. I am definitely noticing some under active thyroid signs. I am exhausted and my hair is falling out.

jyoyo78
10-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Oh wibbly, I'm sorry you had a rough day. Definitely get checked by the doc if you think there's a problem!

Now....back on track!! Today is another day, girl! That's the awesome thing about this diet...you fall off....you just get right back on and keep truckin' :)

SouthernJudy
10-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi everyone, I started phase 1 On Monday and I have been very happy with the Plan so far. I weighed this morning and I am down 3.4 lbs I was very happy with that. It's so good to see that I will have others to cheer me on and to give each other support. I'm on day 5 of week 1, I'm new to this so I'm very excited. Has anyone else had bad legs cramps? It's at night and it hurts so bad.

jyoyo78
10-01-2010, 06:40 PM
SoutherJudy....seems like I remember others in the past saying the leg cramps come from being dehydrated. Are you getting in all your water? Don't quote me on it...but it's worth considering :)

zeffryn
10-01-2010, 06:45 PM
judy, have you tried taking a potassium supplement?

LaurenBelle
10-03-2010, 05:50 AM
i had my weekly weigh in today and im down another 3 pounds. also now officially out of phase one but nervous about adding carbs back in. i havent read the book, cos its always out at the library, but i am not sure how many carbs to add back in during the first week. would it be fine to add one slice of wholegrain bread in 3 times during the week? could i safely add more?

erinzest, swing dancing is great fun. its not always a big workout, since you are learning about half the class is watching the footwork from the instructors and trying ti out very slowly in segments, but once you actually get into a song worth of moves you are puffed out! i pay $15 per class, once a week. i also go by myself, since my boyfriend refuses, but they rotate partners every few moves so even if you go alone you are not without someone to practice with.

zestfest
10-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Well, the last two days were not very beachy, but I am doing as well as I can. I'm going through a breakup and moving out of the apartment I share with my boyfriend, so it's been hard to eat healthy and i've been just eating with the friends I'm living with. I'm hopeful I will be able to get back on track today, but now I will be dependent on my friends to take me grocery shopping (I used my boyfriend's car before). I guess I'm just trying to be gentle on myself because this is a crappy situation and I'm trying to make the best of it. Weigh in tomorrow, hopefully this weekend didn't ruin everything...

jyoyo78
10-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Oh Erin...I'm sorry to hear your news :( Break ups super suck! Keep your head up girl, you will survive and be better for it! Stick with your healthy eating, get healthy and happy....and tell ex- bf to eat his heart out! lol

LaurenBelle
10-04-2010, 05:39 AM
they say success is the best revenge Erin. if you can flourish now, you can make it through anything

WibblyWobbly
10-04-2010, 01:51 PM
I have completed phase 1! I am pretty happy. I am down to 151lbs.

jyoyo78
10-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Awesome Job Wibbly!!! Woot!! Weighed in this morning....I'm down 5.6 lbs for my first week!!! SAHWEET!!!!

SouthernJudy
10-04-2010, 08:08 PM
judy, have you tried taking a potassium supplement?
Thank you so much I started taking them and also drinking a drink called Zero which has eletrolites and such in it. Zero calories and no sugar it has been a great help. Thanks agin.

SouthernJudy
10-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Phase 1 Week one completed and i'm down 4 lbs Yay!!!!

chevauchee
10-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Well, day 2 and I've already broken the rules. I had an extra milk serving -- my blood sugar was crashing (I have hypoglycemia) so I downed another glass of milk. I figure it was better than the juice I would normally go for in that situation.

B: 2 eggs, V8
S: Almonds, 2C milk
L: White chili, big salad
S: Cottage cheese
Emergency: Milk, maybe 1.5C (was too busy shaking to measure)
D: planned 5 minute mexi meal, big salad

I think tomorrow I will split my milk servings up so I have something for the afternoon slump.

chevauchee
10-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Also, congrats to all the weigh-ins!

Natasha1534
10-12-2010, 03:22 AM
*bump* for all Phase I-ers. The thread kinda got buried and I think a lot of new-comers didn't realize it was here. :)

Good luck w/ Phase I!!!

Gelene
10-14-2010, 09:01 PM
HELP! I and DH started PH1 on 10/04/10. He lost 7.8# the first week and me??? 2#!!
I know guys loose more and faster, but, DANG! I have had gastric bypass and am now ACTUALLY eating(which is a task for me, not a joy) I have cut out ALL wine, pasta, bread, rice, corn, ect... and really could use some encouragement. I promised myself and DH I would not weigh for another week, but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong here. I have counted my calories for many years since gastric bypass and I average 1200 a day. So I, on the lines of thinking that my body was in starvation mode thought this change of ACTUALLY feeding my body, would amount to weight loss. Sorry to sound so sad. I do feel better, having done away with the high carbs, I just could use some advise as what I am doing wrong??

Lexxiss
10-14-2010, 10:06 PM
I definitely suggest you just keep going, but post several days menus so that we could take a look and possibly give a little bit of advice. Take care!

TallandThin
10-15-2010, 01:48 AM
Another newby here (well kinda. I did SB several years ago and did great as long as I stuck to the plan so I'm back to do it right this time and finish the job I didn't the first time). I'm on day 4 of p1 and so far so good. My biggest problem so far is trying to get all three meals in plus the snacks. I've skipped a few and I know that isn't good so am working on that.

SouthernJudy, I've had BAD leg cramps the past couple of nights and see others say it may be related to the amount of fluids so will up that starting tomorrow.

BelovedK
10-15-2010, 07:15 AM
I'm on the 6th day of phase 1 and haven't lost any weight :( Maybe my serving sizes are too large. Should I add an extra week of P1 if I don't lose?

xo

TallandThin
10-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Day 5 of phase 1 for me and I'm still on plan! So far I find that I do better if I don't try to get too creative with my menu. It is easier for me right now to have just about the same thing most days but as I get stronger I definitely will vary my menu. Right now I'm having
B - 2 eggs, V-8, 1 slice of turkey bacon.
L - 3 chicken wraps full of vegs, cucumber w/wine ving.
D - Salad full of vegs with either chicken or crab.
Snack - Vanilla Ricotta w/chopped pecans

It seems to be working as the ponds are coming off. Still have the "desire" to eat in the afternoon and late at night before I go to bed but nothing I can't handle. Just old habits not giving up easily.

Question: I am feeling a bit dizzy/light headed at times. Is anyone else on phase 1 feeling this?

BelovedK
10-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Lamay, I felt lightheaded and dizzy a bit for the first few days if I went too long without eating. Also, when I have leg cramps, I take this calcium/magnesium supplement called 'Calms Plus, it is a lemon flavored powder and it goes into your system quickly. It always helps. Plus it helps me relax enough to get to sleep.

Good luck!

I am on my period, so I might have water weight, but am really feeling fat here :?: and I have been on plan. If I go to the movies tonight, I will have to contend with not getting popcorn, which might be hard (I love popcorn at the movies)

I just can't wait to have sushi again!!! I love my sushi!!!!

TallandThin
10-17-2010, 02:10 PM
I've been reading SB info as much as possible in order to learn so I can do a better job and if I'm correct, fruits are not allowed on phase 1 but sugar free jams and jellies are.........that sounds like a contridiction to me. Can anyone explain so my thick mind can understand?

Hsood10
10-18-2010, 09:33 AM
:wave: Hi South Beachers, I'm another newbie. I'm on day 3 of Phase 1 and think all is going fairly well so far. Just wanted to introduce myself and thank all of you for your informative posts in this forum. Your posts motivated me to finally get started. Look forward to sharing this journey with you all.
~Suzie~

TallandThin
10-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Good Monday morning to all of you phase oner's! I just completed my first week on phase one and am so ready for my second week. So far ELEVEN (yes count them!) 11 pounds gone forever!!! I can already feel the difference in my body.

Hsood10 - Welcome aboard. This is the place to come for support and questions. I know it is sure helping me.

BelovedK
10-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Lamay, 11 pounds?? That's great!! I lost 3.5 on my first week, but I did have a lot of good fats (nuts, avocados ) Possibly more than I should have. I had them to pick at while i was working. I am also on day 1 of my second week. I will be finished weith P1 on Sunday, just in time for a lunch with family. It will be easier to make choices from the menu.

TallandThin
10-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks Belovedk, I really worked hard staying on plan and it paid off. However, I am old enough to know that that was really the easiest and most exciting part. Now comes the much slower weight loss and the day to day "must stick to being on plan" part. That being said, I'm still very motivated.

Hey you only weigh about half of what I do so loosing your 3.5 pounds is doing good.

Since we both started at the same time, it will be interesting to support each other as we walk this path.

Arctic Stamp Queen
10-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Hello ladies...jumping in here. I just completed phase 1 and lost 12 pounds.

I started phase 2 over the weekend, but found myself really tempted, so I don't think I'm ready for it yet. There was also a lot of emotional stuff going onSaturday, so I am SURE that contributed. I think my body is supah sensitive to carbs, so I am going to have to be really careful. I tried 1/2 C steel cut oats for breakfast mixed with a Tablespoon of natural peanut butter and about 6 drops of stevia...to die for good, but then I craved carbs the rest of the day and I hadn't felt that way the 2 weeks prior.

For a sweet treat, I found an herbal tea by Adagio called Honeybush Hazlenut that I steep with some Roobios vanilla, add a little FF creamer and some splenda, makes a nice sweet treat that is totally on plan. Satiates my sweet tooth on a regular basis.

Anyone else afraid of themselves once they go off Phase I? I'm terrified and enjoying the comfort of being so restricted.

zeffryn
10-19-2010, 06:28 PM
ASQ - you may try experimenting with your carbs. I can't have carbs in the morning, or else I'm snacky all day, but then I can't have them in the evening or I don't lose. If I have grains, which I don't most days, I have them mid-day.

Also, add things back slowly. I would start with a fruit for the first week, and then add a grain the next week. Adding it slowly allows you to experiment with just that one thing to see if you can have it without wanting to eat everything else in the house at the same time.

:)

TallandThin
10-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Hey Artic, Twelve pounds..way to go! Proud of you as I'm right behind you and know how hard it can be at times. Our weight is very similar and so is our weight loss so far.

I am soooo afraid of going off phase one! I did SB a few years ago and had a real struggle once I was on phase two so although I know they don't recommend it, I am definitely going to stay on phase one until I feel comfortable and then will go at a snails pace on phase two. I also know that carbs set off my problem button......

WeighingMeDown
10-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Congrats to all of you who have completed Phase 1 & are moving on!

my husband & I are starting Phase 1 on Tuesday (our 10th anniversary celebration this weekend so we thought we'd wait until after so it wasn't a struggle) & I'm trying to put together our meal plans for the 2 weeks of P1.
The info on this board is fabulous! Thanks for all the meals ideas & recipes. :)
Best of luck to all the newbies like me. I did SBD a few years ago but let myself down by giving in to my sweet/carb cravings & never looked back. I am hoping that having hubby by my side this time it will be a little easier.

spoonflipper
10-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Hey Arctic Stamp Queen,
I'm with you about being nervous going off Phase 1 -I'm in week 2 of Phase 1 but I already have some anxiety about the transition. I've gotten frustrated and quit so many times before in my life -just with the slowness of losing weight and plateaus. Argh. But that's why I'm here right? Support. Yay.

TallandThin
10-20-2010, 02:13 PM
WMD - Welcome back! I'm in my second week of phase one and so far so good. No excuses this time for me. At my age (grin), I'm not going to get another chance to get this right so I'm putting a lot of thought and energy into the way I am handling this this time. I would love to have my husband on the plan with me but unfortunately for me and fortunately for him, he can eat everything and anything and he still weights almost the same as when we were married 50 plus years ago........tall and thin. But that being said, he is eating a lot better because some of my meals will work for both of us and when it doesn't, then I just cook for him separately. So far so good.

TallandThin
10-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Hey Spoon, those are words right out of my thoughts. Ditto, ditto, ditto. But maybe, just maybe, we can walk together and make it this time. Stay strong and remember, we can go as slow as we feel comfortable with.

Arctic Stamp Queen
10-20-2010, 05:29 PM
The biggest lesson I have learned is to be prepared. Always have something safe in the fridge/freezer so that I don't have an excuse. I do not keep any dollar bills or quarters in my wallet so that I am not tempted by the vending machine at work. As a matter of fact, I use a different copier in the building and try to avoid that room whenever possible. I only take healthy foods to work, so that if a temptation is present, I have a fall back.

I found a tea that works for my sweet tooth and when I have it, it really seems like I have had a treat. It is an herbal tea, Hazlenut Flavored and I steep it with another herbal tea that is Vanilla flavored. Put in some FF creamer and a package of splenda (with fiber) and yummo, it really satisfies. I have one during the day at work and one at night before bed.

Yesterday I had to stop by the grocery store after work...we ran out of toilet paper. I was tired and hungry, not a good combo. First thing I saw when I ran in was the bakery section. I would give up chocolate any day for a donut. I knew I had the potential to be in BIG trouble, so I got what I needed and went and got an Atkins candy bar that was lower in fat and had 5 carbs. While I know it was not the BEST choice, it was SO much better than where my brain was trying to take me. So I also learned to have a little something in my purse for when I have an emergency like this...I now have a bag of cashews and a little package of tic tacs and some sugar free gum. I am hoping as I get farther into this that the temptations are not as hard for me.

Everyday is a new day, and those who are successfull at weight loss have road bumps just like we do, they just make sure they start over the next day instead of being de-railed. I choose this for myself because in the end, I choose to be healthy and happy. Make it a great day ladies! I love the support here. You make my days so much more bearable.

TallandThin
10-21-2010, 01:33 AM
[QUOTE=Arctic Stamp Queen;3530656]The biggest lesson I have learned is to be prepared.

So true! I made a large chili and have some frozen and part in the frig for tomorrow and I can't tell you how good that feels knowing I have things ready.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get this right yet.

marladecas
10-21-2010, 01:16 PM
hi, I just started yesterday...I did do the diet several years ago but didn't stick to it longer than the 2 weeks because I didn't lose much and got discouraged...I think this time I am in it to succeed...I think it is a very healthy diet and hopefully reading everyone elses struggles and successes will be helpful...I have a very difficult time motivating myself to excersize because I really don't like to! I did join Curves a few years ago and was able to lose some weight and maintain it until I stopped excersizing again and menopause arrived so I have all this middle area that seems to grow overnight...anyway...thanks for reading...

TallandThin
10-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Marla, welcome back! Priority is the word. We must make ourselves a priority if we are going to be healthy and stay on plan. That is my word for today, PRIORITY.

B - coffee w/sf creamer, 2 eggs, lf cheese, 1 turkey bacon, v8

Kinda have an idea for the rest of the day for will post tomorrow what I actually ate.

Arctic Stamp Queen
10-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Has anyone found new things in this lifestyle that they did not know they liked. I live in Alaska. I have virtually my whole life, so veggies have not been a huge part of my diet, they are expensive and I am SO NOT a gardner, though I am gonna give that a go next summer. But I am finding that I have expanded my palate beyond lettuce, corn and cucumbers.

I now enjoy peppers, cauliflower, brocolli, herbs...mmm I love herbs and what they add for flavoring.

I have been pleasantly surprised. You?

zeffryn
10-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Good question, ASQ! I've found so many new ways to prepare veggies and I've really discovered how much my body loves whole foods instead of pre-prepared convenience foods. I astound myself almost daily with the kind of things I put together. Yesterday, for dinner, I put some homemade fat-free refried beans on the bottom of a bowl, topped it with a bunch of spinach and topped that with some salsa, fajita peppers and a few chicken chunks. it didn't look very good, but was so tasty! Today for lunch, I used dijon mustard instead of dressing on my salad - yum! I find it funny that I add spinach to just about everything that I make now, whether it be smoothies or in place of rice. Spinach is easily my favorite veggie.

marladecas
10-22-2010, 09:26 AM
I come from a long line of cooks...my family owned a popular Italian restaurant in our area for decades so food has always been part of my life...I think food and talk food so I love coming up with new things too...I find this diet a bit time consuming because there is alot of prep involved...but I love to cook so...This morning I tried a ricotta pancake for breakfast that I found here in an old post...it was very good and a nice alternative to an omelet. I lugha t myself with how much food I am bringing to work but I don't want to be caught unprepared...Last night I made a delicious fish dish that I found on Kayln's Kitchen website...If you haven't found that website check it out.
thank you all for being here and good luck through your day today...may be back later...by the way how often do you weigh yourselves? I have been avoiding the scale and weighed in when I started Weds, but am only going to plan on weighing in once weekly

Hsood10
10-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Hello all,

Congratulations on your successes. Sounds like you are all doing so well! I have just completed week 1 of phase 1, and I'm happy to report that I've lost 7 pounds.:D

I agree that being prepared is key, and I need your help in that area. Besides nuts and cheese sticks, what do you think are some good things to have on hand for "emergencies?"

~Suzie~

TallandThin
10-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Suzie, OMG the list is so long, don't know where to begin. Perhaps the best advice would be to check out the recipes and when you have a few extra minutes, go ahead and make one or two and then divide them into serving sizes and freeze them. It's such a good feeling to know you have them available in case of an emergency. Then, there are the usual items that you should have on hand but too many to list. Perhaps you could just look at the phase one list of foods and pick out what you like and make sure you have it in the house.
Great loss so far, keep up the good work.

Edit: a couple of hours later.........You know, I've been thinking about what you asked for and realize that I to have the same need. I've been looking at several recipes and before I can prepare them, I have to go shopping as I don't have some of the ingredients. I'm coming to realize that I am shopping for different items than I ever have before. Sooooo, I'm going to type up a list of the most common food items used on phase one and post it in my kitchen. Then I will highlight the items as I get low or am out of so I can then use that to shop with as I find I'm not used to buying some of what I am eating now and keep forgetting things when I'm in the store. Thanks Suzie for giving me the push I needed to do this.

BelovedK
10-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Today was my last day on Ph1, I was out, and got chicken salad that looked OP from the label, and when I started eating it it had raisins in it :( It tasted sickly sweet, I guess my tastes have changed. I am a bit worried about Ph2. I just got the hang of Ph1.

Tomorrow I will see the grand total of what I have lost :carrot: DH just told me he could tell I had lost :D

little red debs
10-24-2010, 05:34 AM
Morning y'all!

My name is Deborah - I'm 22 and starting the South Beach Diet today! I live in the UK and hoping to lose a few pounds...mostly for my own self-esteem but also to feel fitter and have more energy.

I love love love my food, especially pasta, cheese, bread, and my nightly glass of vino...all the bad stuff! I exercise every day but just need my eating habits to match those I've established with exercise. Luckily my other half works at a gym, so the free membership helps!

I'd love any support/guidance/help from you guys, as I'm going to find keeping myself disciplined tricky! However we're going to Italy in 2 weeks so I'd love to look good in the pictures for once.....quite a good motivator.

How is Phase 1, realistically? Is it awful? More importantly, does it work? Let me know guys, hoping you can be support me thru this and I in turn would love to help others!

Have a good day guys!
Deborah ;)

jandaman
10-26-2010, 04:46 AM
welcome debbie! am in ur timezone so will just tag onto ur post!

i am a SBD re-re-returnee & currently day 2 P1.

SBD does work..i have lost up to 20 kilos on it-however, as soon as i went back to old, unhealthy eating patterns i packed everything back on. i think the most important thing is to be prepared!!!

phase one semi-gross for me the first couple days..am hypoglycemic and it takes me a while to adjust. already feelin bit queasy & lightheaded....must remember to pack smart snacks!!!!! but on positive side: gets rid of cravings and u can drop a lotta weight ( i once lost 11 lbs)

good luck!!!!!

Randi34
10-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Today is my first day of Phase 1. Started to feel a little crappy around 11 a.m. It has been a real eye-opener to me how much my body depends on carbs and sugar.

I also decided while I am at it, to give up caffeine. Whew! A lot of change.

I do think I am going to feel better soon. I am so tired of being sluggish.

TallandThin
10-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Hang in there Randi and :welcome:. The first three or four days were the hardest for me and you are right, your body is changing but it will be so worth it.

Randi34
10-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks, Lamay. I am feeling better. I ate dinner at 4:30! I was so hungry. I think tomorrow will be better as I know what to expect.

Randi34
10-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Well, Day 1 was hard yesterday.

I also realized this morning that I've been drinking skim milk like it's going out of style and that is on the no list. Not sure how I missed that one.

I did get up and do my Wii Fit this morning before work.

I had a nice big omlette for breakfast and have a delicious looking salad with tuna and tons of veggies in the fridge. Bring it on Day 2!

zeffryn
10-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Randi, you may want to take a look at the revised food lists listed in the FAQ section of this forum. Skim milk is ok and encouraged now :) you can have two cups per day of dairy - which includes yogurt and milk.

Randi34
10-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Awesome, Zeffryn! I found the revised foods list and it is a little different than my book. Thank you!

WeighingMeDown
10-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Close to ending day 3 & doing well so far.

Been trying some of the recipes from the board (so glad to have this resource!) & had a big hit last night with the Pizza Burgers. Biggest challenge so far has been packing lunches for my hubs. We've done lettuce wraps, a big chef salad & spicy black bean salad with grilled chicken (served cold). After this I'm out of ideas. I've looked around online but most things are either off his radar (foods he'll eat) or too messy/too difficult to eat at work.
I'm also struggling with snacks for him. Poor guy has been eating string cheese, almonds & snap peas or edamame every day. :)

Other than those small bumps, I'd say we're doing well. Hoping to see a loss on the scale next week.

Wishing you all well!

Randi34
10-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Down 3 lbs in three days!

I am feeling better. Talked to doctor to get off the Metformin. I am just hopeful this will break my two year plateau!

WeighingMeDown
11-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Last day of Wk 1. Halloween was so very hard!!!
Looking forward to weiging in the morning.

lynn7359
11-05-2010, 09:44 PM
This is my first day on South Beach diet.:D I feel like I am doing something wrong. Can I have cheese and milk? I have found conflicting reports. I use to go to Weight Watchers. Didn't lose any weight. Was not hungry today at all. Any tips??

bcgal00
11-07-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm on day four of phase 1 and am feeling pretty good. I can't believe I'm down 3 lbs and my stomach feels less bloated. My jeans were so much looser in the waist. So, I'd say I'm off to a good start. I had a kind of panicky craving last night but I stuck to the plan and didn't give in to carbs. I had some ricotta cheese mixed with vanilla,cocoa and cinnamon. It was pretty yummy and satisfied my craving. I stayed up late and got another craving so had a stick of celery with PB on it. That did me fine for the night.

Yesterday morning I made some egg cups that I can have for breakfast or a snack for the next 2-3 days. I baked 2 eggs, 3/4 c egg whites, thawed spinach with a bunch of water squeezed out, sauted red pepper and onion, garlic and cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or til tops feel a bit solid. I keep them in tuperware in the fridge and then warm in microwave. I really like them.

Yesterday I bought a SB cookbook so will be looking thru that today to find a few recipes to get me thru the wk.

iheartsparkles
11-08-2010, 06:15 AM
I am just popping in to introduce myself! I started SBD today with the intention of losing about 18 pounds. I have already lost 22 pounds. I am currently 150.5 pounds and my goal is 132 pounds. Pounds, pounds, pounds!

Today I have had:
B: Ricotta and Psyllium Husk Pancakes with SF Syrup
S: 1 Boiled Egg
L: Salad with Ricotta Cheese
S: 10 Almonds
D: 1 Boiled Egg, Ricotta Cheese, Salad
D: Skinny Cow Mint Ice Cream
W: 1.5L water

Exercise: I did a 45 minute heavy power-session at my gym. It burns about 500 calories.