General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/295/160

Height: 5'8

Default Not Eating is my Problem??

I've gotten myself into a horribly bad habit of eating only once a day. Its not because I want to "starve myself" or because I think it will make me lose weight.... but it started because I was a busy college student, working two jobs (now working no jobs ), going to therapy twice a week, and managing a long distance relationship... sometimes I just /forgot/ to eat.

Now, to top it all off, I've recently been put on two medications that pretty much make my desire for food next to nothing (Adderall and Topamax) so I have to REALLY make a conscious effort to even REMEMBER the first meal, and proceed to force it into my face because the thought of food is disgusting (thank you adderall).

Now, I know this is horrible for my metabolism and for my health in general. I know I should eat 5-6 meals a day. I know that part of my weight problem is probably because I've been eating one small meal a day (about 70% of the time if not more) for about a year now.

I guess my question to you ladies is, do you have any suggestions to help me try and even out my eating schedule again? I really am at a loss for what to do, I know its a huge issue, but I literally just don't even think to eat, and my body doesn't remind me. HALP!

BTW: I know this is not my only issue. I also eat crap food at other times, and I don't exercise like I should, etc. So yes, not my only issue and obviously not the only reason I'm overweight, but I feel as though its contributing to my overall poor health and bad lifestyle.

Last edited by TheActress; 08-09-2010 at 12:53 PM.
TheActress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

All I can really think of to say is start small. Eat something 5-6 times a day, or heck, even 3 times a day. If you have no appetite, start off with a very small (healthy!) meal or even a snack. It's better than what you're doing now, and perhpas your appetite will pick up as your body gets used to eating again. Then you can make the meals/snacks bigger as time goes on. If you really can't make yourself eat, maybe try a protein or meal replacement drink? It might be easier for you to drink some calories instead, just for now. I would start slow with exercise too, if you plan to add that in; your body will tire easily as long as you're not fueling it properly.
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/163/130

Height: 5'2"

I would say a visit to a nutritionist would be helpful, preferably someone recommended by a doctor or your therapist who could talk to you with some insight in eating disorders. I'm not saying you have an eating disorder (obviously the drugs are messing with your appetite) but I'm just saying don't go to the nutritionist at your gym.

Anyhow - the nutritionist will ask you what you are eating and have you track it and then give you suggestions for what to eat so that you will not gain weight but can get back to a normal cycle.

I think it would be worth the time / money. I hate it when I feel like I don't know what I'm eating / when / or why...
Mulberry14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/200

Height: 5'5

Maybe carry some food/snacks around with you. If you actually have trouble remembering to eat, maybe set an alarm on your cell phone or something to remind you to have a snack
cardsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote