Does it Work? - infrared saunas?

View Full Version : infrared saunas?

sillysasha
10-11-2002, 05:59 PM
A new day spa is touting the benefits of its infrared sauna...claims that it burns 600 calories in a 20-minute treatment! Also good for the skin, cleanses "toxins," etc., etc...

I just can't believe that lying inside what looks like a body-sized hot dog bun for 20 minutes can burn more calories than jogging for the same amount of time! It's basically a glorified, full-body heat lamp, right? Maybe you would lose a pound or two of water weight, but you're going to put that right back on within a day or two. How can it possibly burn all those calories?

However, I would LOVE it if someone could tell me otherwise -- no doubt I'd love to lie down and take a warm nap in the infrared sauna, rather than go out running on a cold October morning!

Suzanne 3FC
10-13-2002, 11:38 AM
LOL!

Ok, this is what I learned so far.. From the claims they are making, this is what they base it on..

The sauna causes you to lose about 1 gram of sweat.

Most people lose about 1 gram of sweat while doing exercise sufficient to burn 600 calories. (according to them)

Therefore, they claim that since BOTH will cause you to lose about 1 gram of sweat, then both must cause you to burn 600 calories.

How silly! I wonder how long it will take the FTC to crack down on this one!

sillysasha
10-15-2002, 10:05 AM
Oh wow, that's really creative! Hmmmm, what other pleasurable activities might cause me to sweat a little...? : )

Thanks for checking it out for me, Suzanne. I thought it sounded way too good to be true. But ohhh, so tempting! Guess I'll be saving my money for more worthwhile purchases, like a new pair of running shoes to replace the ratty old ones I'm wearing now.