Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/176/135

Height: 5'3"

Question Lapband post-pregnancy

I've been banded since June 2007. I weighed 252 lbs on surgery day. Since then I have been through a lot to say the least! My low weight is 130 lbs. In about January of this year I decided to see my band Dr. Things weren't "working" anymore. After battling addiction and binging and purging (post banding bulimia) I think my band had had enough!

I went in and went under fluoro and Doc said I stretched my band. He said I would need to unfill and go on a strict liquid diet for 2 weeks and then come in to see if it returned to size and then get a fill.

Between those visits, however, I learned I was pregnant!! It was a huge surprise and certainly not something husband and I were expecting (of course now we can not wait to meet our little man). I decided to cancel my appointment for a fill (I figured I was pregnant and didn't need one) and progress through my pregnancy eating "normally".

I started off pregnancy at about 165 and now, at 30 weeks, I weigh 211!

I am so embarrassed I have let myself get this big!

I'm just wondering if it is possible that my pouch will shrink back to post-banding size (after I go on that liquid diet I was supposed to do in January) post-baby and I will be able to get a fill.

After it has been stretched so long, can it even shrink back? Is it continuing to stretch even with no saline?

Thanks in advance for any advice or stories you may have.
lunamaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

congrats on being pregnant!!! and frankly, i think you need to see your lap band doc IMMEDIATELY!!!! you don't want to do further damage to your stomach/band site, and you HAVE TO have a healthy pregnancy.

tell him everything. he can help you. and there are all kinds of things he can do to fix this.

and please keep us posted

Last edited by jiffypop; 08-07-2010 at 02:42 PM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Congratulations !!!!!!

I agree, you need to see your surgeon but mostly your OBGYN and get some baby vitamins. This is the most important thing you can do for your baby. Your OBGYN needs to know you have the band and she/he needs to know exactly what you are able to eat.

The band itself does not stretch, its the pouch above it. Even with a complete unfill I would say the pouch could be stretched.. but that is a question you should ask your surgeon. I think as long as both doctors are on board with the band and pregnancy, you should be able to go back to getting fills after the baby is born.

IMHO nothing should be more important that your baby and nutrition right now, so go take care of the two of you

Good luck !!
Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 262/176/135

Height: 5'3"

Thanks, to both of you for your replies.

My ob is very much on board! I was up front about everything since the beginning. I want my child to be healthy!! So far, so good. My blood work has consistently come back normal except I am a little anemic but we're trying something new for that. So far my little man is right on track to be being healthy and happy!

It is weird though having my uterus behind where my port is. I wonder if baby can feel it? My ob said it would not effect him but sometimes I swear my baby is gonna kick it right out of me, lol!

Ready for my baby to be here!
lunamaam is offline   Reply With Quote