100 lb. Club - Diagnosed with hypothyroidism

View Full Version : Diagnosed with hypothyroidism

Onederchic
08-06-2010, 04:08 PM
About 3 years ago, before I moved from Tennessee to New York, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and put on medication. I only (very) briefly took the medication. I then moved to New York and just this past Tuesday had some blood work done at a medical center. They called me today to tell me I have hypothyroidism (big shocker, eh? :p) and that they are putting me on a medication for it which I start Monday. My questions are -

1- Are there certain foods I should avoid?

2- Will my weight loss improve once I am on medication?

3- Will the medication help with other issues as well, ie mood swings, feeling tired all the time, hair loss?

I reckon I shoulda asked the doctor but I am sure some of you lovely folks can help me out :D

envelope
08-06-2010, 04:38 PM
My neighbor was just recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism, since starting the medicine a few months ago she lost a few of the 12 lbs she gained over a 4 month period, and her energy level has improved. She has started to walk again and is hopeful the rest will start coming off too.

Lindifer
08-06-2010, 04:46 PM
My daughter has hypothyroidism and she is only 10, but once we had her started on Levothyroxine things changed so dramatically.

I don't avoid any food with her, never actually asked if I should either.

The Dr. said hypothyroidism causes weight gain. Jenna is tiny anyway, but this spring she went a while without Levothyroxine and gained a few pounds and when I started her back on it she lost it again right away. I can't say for sure that it wasn't the summer that made her lose a few pounds though.

When she started on her Levothyroxine it took a while to notice but her hair is thicker and her skin isn't nearly as dry. She pays better attention to stuff, but I can't really gauge her tiredness level. She has Down syndrome so she can't really tell me how she feels unless it's really important.

Hope you get some other responses from someone who knows first hand.

Onederchic
08-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks y'all :hug:

time2lose
08-06-2010, 06:56 PM
I have had hypothyroidism since I was a child. I went off the medication a few years ago and also have had to have my level of Levothyroxine adjusted. There aren't any foods to avoid but you should take the medication on an empty stomach. I take mine as soon as I get up and wait an hour to eat.

Your weight loss will probably improve. Actually it is amazing that you lost all this weight with hypothyroidism. I believe you will feel much better. Your mood swings, hair loss, and feeling tired are classic symptoms. My legs swell greatly when my thyroid levels are low.

Hypothyroidism is easy to treat and the medication is inexpensive. It takes about 3 months to get the full effect.

LiliK
08-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Hey there! I, too, am hypothyroid. Evidently, excessive amounts of broccoli or other cruciferous veggies are thyrotoxic, so they can counteract the effects of your thyroid medication. I plan to ask my endocrinologist about this when I see him in a couple of weeks.

I agree with Cheryl above when she says your energy will improve--my depression almost disappeared a few months after starting medication. I used to find tons of hair in the sink--now only a few rare hairs (and my medication level is still not optimum--TSH is still well above normal levels, indicating low thyroid activity). Now when we get my medication dose adjusted, my weight loss might speed up, too!

I have to say congratulations on losing so much weight with a wonky thyroid--my doc said it would be very difficult to do. I'm doing it, too, though, with calorie counting and exercise, but hopefully the medication will make it a bit easier. One caveat: The medication does seem to make me "warmer" overall--which, in my case, being close to menopause, isn't all that great, but if it helps burn calories, I'll live with it.

Every part of you will work more efficiently when your thyroid is working properly, so it's worth taking the medication.

time2lose
08-06-2010, 07:11 PM
I have never heard that about broccoli or other cruciferous veggies. Thanks for telling us. I will have to ask my doctor about it. I have always wondered if the hypothyroidism is one reason that I lose so slowly. Since it is controlled with medication it shouldn't cause that but I still wonder.

PinkHoodie
08-06-2010, 07:25 PM
I have hypothyroid too! Synthroid .05mg for me! And I stopped taking it for about a month and wham! Tired...and hair started falling out again. So I KNOW you will see a difference, but like anything it takes time to see the full effects of taking the med.
Also, you have to take it a specific way. I take mine in the morning, about an hour before I eat anything. Your stomach needs to be empty and you NEED to take it at the same time every day to see the best benefit. :)
Oh and also, I forgot to say, my Dr will not do a generic for this specific med. He says because with generics they have certain guidlines they have to follow, but its not strict like the brand name. The generic can vary widely, some months too much, sometimes too little. But the brand name is consistent. Also because they are dealing with MICRO grams instead of miligrams, it also varys. He said his patients on the generic would report having good months and then feel bad again then feel good again. So he highly recommends the brand name, and will only give the brand name (sorry if this doesn't make much sense, he drew a diagram when he explained it, and it was easier to understand!)

Onederchic
08-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks so much for the responses and support and info!!

srr728
08-06-2010, 07:53 PM
I had my thyroid removed, and without my synthroid I am a mess. I get migraines and am tired and crazy. You will 100% better once you take your meds every day. Just make sure to take them before you eat anything.
Hope you feel better!

hpnodat
08-06-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm glad you have a diagnosis, and I'm really glad you were finally able to see a doctor. I hope you are able to get that health coverage you want so you can look after your health better. It's much easier to do that when you can afford to go to the doctor huh?:) I'm so impressed you were able to lose so much weight with having hyperthyroidism, I hear it can be incredibly hard to lose weight with that condition! Good for you, what huge determination and strength you must have!
I don't have hypOthyroidism but I have HypERthyroidism, Graves disease specifically. I suggest you do tons of research on your condition. Knowledge is power! :)

Onederchic
08-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks so much Stephanie :)

Onederchic
08-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Thank you, hpnodat! I have been Googling ever since the lady called :lol: :D

Truffle
08-06-2010, 10:00 PM
1- Are there certain foods I should avoid?

2- Will my weight loss improve once I am on medication?

3- Will the medication help with other issues as well, ie mood swings, feeling tired all the time, hair loss?

I've been hypothyroid (and medicated) for about 18 years now.

Yes, cruciferous veggies are ones you shouldn't eat a ton of, but that's when they're RAW. Cooking them changes the properties that bother the thyroid.

SOY is another thing that affects the thyroid. I always used to eat a lot of veggie burgers, but since they have a lot of soy, I rarely eat them.

Once your TSH numbers come back in the "normal" range, your doctor will probably think everything's fine, but it may not be. It's your FREE T3 and FREE T4 that you want to have measured, to make sure that the medication is converting correctly.

Once your TSH falls within a "normal" range, it still might not be low enough for you to feel better. A lot of people feel their best with TSH down as low as 1. That will be different for everyone.

Unfortunately, even though I've been on medication for a long time, and my numbers come back within a good range, I've never regained my energy.

I also haven't been able to stop the weight gain, let alone lose the weight, yet either--but I also have some emotional eating issues mixed in, so I can't blame it ALL on the thyroid.

The only good thing I've found about being hypothyroid is that I rarely have to shave my legs any more, and I NEVER have to pluck my eyebrows. Weird, but true.

Hope this helps.

Onederchic
08-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks Becky!!

kendra
08-06-2010, 11:30 PM
I am so glad that they got a diagnosis and was able to prescribe medication to help you. :hug:

Onederchic
08-06-2010, 11:35 PM
I am so glad that they got a diagnosis and was able to prescribe medication to help you. :hug:

Thank you so much, Kendra :hug:

Rosinante
08-07-2010, 02:54 AM
Like all the others, my very first thought when I saw the thread title and who'd posted it was, She's got a thyroid problem and she's STILL lost all that weight?!?

Even more congratulations, you really are a star!

Onederchic
08-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks Rosinante :hug:

Diana3271
08-07-2010, 11:52 AM
I am also hypothyroid. I was diagnosed 15-17 years ago. I have had huge weight swings in my life. I have also heard raw broccoli and cauliflower is a no no as well as soy. I take 224 mcg Synthroid. I had issues with fluctuations on Levothyroxine. For me, those minor fluctuations resulted in weight gain. Synthroid has worked better for me.

Last Ditch Effort
08-07-2010, 12:04 PM
wow what an inspiration you are to me. I have struggled with my weight since I was 16 and have never been able to get fully in control. I did for about 8 months one year and lost about 50lbs but gained it all back and have gained since. I was just put on medication for hypothryoidism about 3 weeks ago. I have all the normal symptoms - worst is the tiredness, depression, and HAIR LOSS! I have lost about half my hair and am praying it comes back. I feel like a completely different person after being on the meds for 3 weeks and hearing from a previous poster that it takes a full 3 months to get full effects gives me even more encouragement since hopefully that means I will feel even better soon. Congrats on your weight loss- hopefully I'll be able to be a part of this community as I really am looking for some support and friendships with people that understand.

Onederchic
08-07-2010, 12:25 PM
I am also hypothyroid. I was diagnosed 15-17 years ago. I have had huge weight swings in my life. I have also heard raw broccoli and cauliflower is a no no as well as soy. I take 224 mcg Synthroid. I had issues with fluctuations on Levothyroxine. For me, those minor fluctuations resulted in weight gain. Synthroid has worked better for me.

Thanks Diana :)

Onederchic
08-07-2010, 12:26 PM
wow what an inspiration you are to me. I have struggled with my weight since I was 16 and have never been able to get fully in control. I did for about 8 months one year and lost about 50lbs but gained it all back and have gained since. I was just put on medication for hypothryoidism about 3 weeks ago. I have all the normal symptoms - worst is the tiredness, depression, and HAIR LOSS! I have lost about half my hair and am praying it comes back. I feel like a completely different person after being on the meds for 3 weeks and hearing from a previous poster that it takes a full 3 months to get full effects gives me even more encouragement since hopefully that means I will feel even better soon. Congrats on your weight loss- hopefully I'll be able to be a part of this community as I really am looking for some support and friendships with people that understand.

Thank you! It is very refreshing to hear that good changes come about with the medication. I am anxious for Monday to get here so I can get the medicine started :D :hug:

Diana3271
08-07-2010, 12:55 PM
I forgot to add, before I was diagnosed I had problems with being exhausted all the time. Being on thyroid meds has made a big difference in my quality of life. I feel so much better and I hope it helps you, too.

Judy Lynn
08-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Michelle, I am so glad you are getting the medical care you need, and I hope the medicine gets you feeling "right as rain" before long. :hug:

Onederchic
08-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Thank you, Judy!! :hug:

losermom
08-08-2010, 07:43 AM
1- Are there certain foods I should avoid? I had hear about the soy, but not about cauliflower and broccoli...:(

2- Will my weight loss improve once I am on medication? Most definitely! Getting your thyroid levels stabilized will allow your body to work properly and lose weight.

3- Will the medication help with other issues as well, ie mood swings, feeling tired all the time, hair loss? Yes!! Before I was medicated (13 years now), my levels were so low but I had no idea until a dr thought to check it. DD23 still refers to this time as "the winter on the couch" because I would be sleeping on the couch when she left for school and still be sleeping on the couch when she got home.

Michelle, I so glad you finally have some answers and hope you will be feeling better soon. Like others have posted, you can expect to feel more energetic and warmer while your meds are being adjusted, which can take more than a year. It is amazing that you have been able to lose all of this weight without medication, but my dr told me something very interesting. That often before the thyroid completely peters out there will be a final big push of thyroid hormone and people often lose weight during this period without trying. In your case you were putting forth effort so you REALLY saw results! Just a theory. This was the case for me too. I hope you are feeling better soon! Keep us updated.

Onederchic
08-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Thank you so much for your encouragement and support, it means a lot to me :hug:

Diana3271
08-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Onederchic Don't you have a Dr's appointment today about your thyroid? If so, update us and let us know what they said.

Haley8203
08-09-2010, 01:33 PM
i've been on the generic for over a year, every 3 months they adjust my dose when I get my levels checked. i think my energy has somewhat improved but not weight. I had half of my thyroid removed last year. After reading some of these posts I didn't realize there was such a difference in the generic and the synthroid..hmm...good luck

JustBeckyV
08-09-2010, 02:40 PM
I have only been on meds for the last 4 months. I am still trying to get my levels figured out as I am still tired a lot and still have some other issues. One thing for me I had already lost about 75 lbs before I found out lol I don't think that starting the meds helped to lose more but I am sure it didn't hurt either. I havent avoided eating anything.

I do take mine at 6:30 in the am before I work out or eat anything. Its pretty important to be consistant!

Onederchic
08-09-2010, 07:10 PM
I just got my medicine today. It is Levothyroxine which I am guessing is the generic version of Synthroid. The dose is 50 MCG. I was told by the pharmacist to take it in the morning at least 1 hour before eating, to not take my multi vitamin for at least 4 hours after and not to eat soy based products because it can interfere with the absorption of the medication.

Diana3271
08-09-2010, 08:35 PM
I just got my medicine today. It is Levothyroxine which I am guessing is the generic version of Synthroid. The dose is 50 MCG. I was told by the pharmacist to take it in the morning at least 1 hour before eating, to not take my multi vitamin for at least 4 hours after and not to eat soy based products because it can interfere with the absorption of the medication.

I believe I was started out on 50 MCG, too. You will probably have to go back in a month or two for labs again. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Onederchic
08-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Yes, Diana, I have to be back in 6 weeks for repeat on blood work. Thank you so much :hug::hug: