Weight Loss Support - Why Did You Gain So Much Weight??

View Full Version : Why Did You Gain So Much Weight??

jay12
08-05-2010, 09:11 PM
How Did U Gain Weight Or Why? We All Come From Diffrent Paths Of Life But In A Way We Are The Same Because We Come Here On This Site For Support Or Answers. I Would Love To Know Ur Story. U Never Know We Might Be Going Thru The Same Things Right Now.

babygrant
08-05-2010, 09:15 PM
I had major surgery last June and immediately after surgery I started having panic attacks. Horrible horrible panic attacks, and I will admit, I ate to comfort myself. After an attack I would be so upset and I would eat. After my surgery I was 170 pounds and I ate myself up to almost 213 pounds in a matter of 4 months. In the past 3 days I've cut out all gluten and all dairy, and I haven't had a panic attack since therefore no binging. I was suffering from 2, 3, 4, 5 panic attacks a day. I feel incredible.

jay12
08-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Im Glad U Feel Better!!!! Good For U!

babygrant
08-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Im Glad U Feel Better!!!! Good For U!

80 pounds lost?!?! That's fricken incredible! Good for you! YOU must feel better!

saggzz
08-05-2010, 09:26 PM
For me it was Paxil. I was having anxiety issues and my doctor prescribed paxil. I gained 40 pounds in 2 months (no lie). I felt better, but I was fat. After I went off paxil, I lost about 20 pounds. After my 2nd child, I had severe post-partum and my doctor prescribed lexapro. Again, gained about 25 pounds in 2-3 months. I then took myself off of it. I battle with anxiety off and on, but find if I exercise consistently I do not have issues. My doctor told me that I gained so much weight b/c I felt better, therefore, was eating more. I, in fact, was not eating more. I am pretty sure those types of medicine just severely disagree with my body chemistry and mess with my metabolism. I am at my current weight b/c I like ice cream and sweets :)

Eliana
08-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Stupidity. :D I just answered this on another thread, actually.

I didn't realize just how much exercise contributed to my slender body of yore. Looking back, I always slimmed down during Marching band season and then packed on the pounds all winter until marching band started again. Then in college, I walked and walked and walked, but didn't realize I was walking because it was out of necessity. We had no cars and the bus system was poor. You could wait 15 minutes for the bus or hike your way across campus in the same amount of time. When I graduated and married, I became sedentary and enjoyed feeding my new husband. At about that time I also developed PCOS and therefore insulin resistance.

I fought the gain for 10 years! But I didn't understand. I had the mentality that the weight should come off quickly and that the speed should match my intensity. When I put in every ounce of effort I could gather up but the scale didn't cooperate, I threw in the towel. This time, I gave myself a fool safe way of not failing by committing to finding out where I'd be in one year if I remained on plan without giving up. THat's where I learned that my problem was about calories in vs. calories out.

It's interesting...if you asked me this question at the beginning of this journey I'd have said I didn't know. My body just liked to be fat and fought me tooth and nail. I've learned that isn't true and my body isn't broken. I'm just very impatient...more impatient than I ever gave myself credit for.

winning the war
08-05-2010, 09:54 PM
For me it was eating for comfort and companionship. My marriage was in trouble and I had a special needs son, had to work full time to manage bills, hubby was never home, and I had no friends where I lived. So dinner consisted of at least 2 full dinners, and my main liquid intake was Mountain Dew. Weight watchers broke the cycle, then I gained some back, and now I'm working on changing things for good.

Bac0s
08-05-2010, 10:24 PM
3 reasons.

1. I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic when I was 11. I used to sneak candy, which I think started my bad food habits.
2. In college I was raped by an ex boyfriend. I had a really twisted sense of relationships and the place of sex in relationships after that. I started eating, ultimately, to become invisible to males, I think. Somehow my now husband broke through all of that, but it didn't "cure" me, so to speak.
3. I quit smoking cold turkey when my then fiance and I moved halfway across the country to live together while I went to grad school. We had a tough transition moving in together with no local friends for outside support. The stress of grad school, living together for the first time, and quitting smoking really pushed me over the edge. Until that point, I was overweight but not obese. I began comfort eating and become obese. Then, I had 2 children and had an extra 15 pounds stick around after each one (go figure, considering I only gained 8 pounds with each pregnancy, and within weeks after each child was born lost 30 pounds), pushing me into morbidly obese.

Ciao
08-05-2010, 10:31 PM
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/Divider-1-1.jpg

I gained weight from simply not
watching what I ate. Even as a kid
I developed REALLY bad habits and
it contributed. Which is why it's so
hard for me now to give up sweets.
But I'm determined to be healthy! :)

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/Divider-1.jpg

ParadiseFalls
08-05-2010, 10:37 PM
You know...that's a really good question! :dizzy:

I got down to about 135 from the low 200s my freshman year of high school by starving myself, and I think I screwed up my metabolism. When I started eating like a normal person again (when I moved to another state and started missing my friends and my life), I gained it back fast. That accounts for some of it, but the last 80 or 100 pounds are just totally inexcusable. I don't know how I could have let this happen.

niafabo
08-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Well I gained a lot of weight when I hit puberty and have just been fat ever since. I got in to shape a few times but I never focused on my diet and I'm very prone to binging and over eating. I guess I just never really worried about my weight until this year.

AshleighAO
08-05-2010, 11:51 PM
My story is a bit long, sorry... Kudos to whoever acually gets through it!

In high school I was chubby, not too bad though, I wasn't terribly upset over it... After HS I moved in with my BF (now DH) and we were broke and living off of junk and we started to put on a few pounds. He went to Navy bootcamp and we moved to the east coast, still not much money- still lots of junk, we started to get healthy and I started taking Lipo 6-a diet pill. We moved to Washington and I continued with the Lipo 6. His deployment schedule is 3 months in, 3 months deployed, 3 month in, etc etc etc. Well... on the second deployment of his, I got serious about losing weight... too serious. I upped the lipo to 6 a day (only supposed to take 4) and I restricted myself to 700 calories and if I went over more then that I purged- even DH doesn't know about the purging. I was a wreck this time, didn't have many friends, was away from family and my love was deployed. Well, I got down to about 115. When dh was due to come back I stopped purging and stopped the pills, went up to 120 but was actually able to maintain after even without the help and up to 1,000 calories a day. I looked great! I was happy and DH as well as several other sailors made so many comments.

Shortly after homecoming, I was still 120-125 and DH and I decided to try for a baby. We got pregnant quickly and life was wonderful. We went for my 16 week ob-gyn appointment and the ultrasound showed no heartbeat and the baby had stopped growing at about 11 weeks. I was devastated. Completely 110% certifiably torn apart. Hysterical. I had a D&C the next day in which I had to be fully sedated because I was sobbing so much I couldn't breathe. After being released from the hospital, the only thing I wanted was a banana shake from this little diner. Everything went downhill from there. I either didn't eat at all, or all I ate was comfort food. DH who is my ultimate health supporter and partner would let me eat whatever I wanted because at least I was eating. I took 2 months off of work, withdrew from school the following year, stopped working out since I didn't want to run into anyone I knew. 2 months after all this, DH deployed again, I still couldn't make it through a day without crying- I ate whatever I wanted and drank with my few girlfriends to deal. That deployment was hard, DH's boat lost a shipmate (rare for his kind of job) and my grandfather who had surgery earlier for pancreatic cancer was given the news that he wouldn't make it much longer (which he actually did). My sister in law was pregnant, all my friends were getting pregnant- so I ate and ate and ate.

6 months later I moved back to our hometown where DH and I bought a house. He is still in WA since his military orders are there and he is still deploying. I tried the Lipo 6 a few times and everytime it made me very sick even though it never did before, I went to the gym some but stopped after I heard some stupid high school aged boys making fun of me. But, in mid July, at my all time high of 185-188 (I fluctuate a lot) I decided this was it. DH gets out of the Navy in January, he wants to go into the police force and wants to get into shape, I have dreams of overnight backpacking trip and being fit and healthy, wearing a bikini on the cruise we are hoping to take in the next year or 2... I'm serious this time. And on my own. No pills, no purging, no strict caloric cutting.

I am in no way making an excuse. I knew everytime I ordered taco bell or burger king that I was eating 3 or 4 days worth of food in one meal... I just didn't care. My self love and idea of self worth was so low.

So, that's my story... I'm doubting pressing the send button lol. Thanks for reading whoever does- this was actually thearputic- going to go do some yoga now I think :)

bunnythesAINT
08-05-2010, 11:53 PM
I've been overweight since I was a little, little girl. I was made fun of in pre-school because I was even overweight then but my weight really ballooned a few years ago when I started binging and over eating really bad. I'd have like cookies for breakfast, a school lunch (to which calorie content can sky rocket) with cookies, cookies when I got home and then just eat and eat and eat all night. I liked food so I ate, I ate when I was sad, happy, mad, etc. Food was just my all-around buddy.

1bighog
08-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Stress and depression.

Husband took a job in another state for half a year, leaving me with 4 kids.
He comes back home and while I'm happy, he's having a hard time adjusting.
Marital troubles begin.
One of my best friends dies of cancer at 34 years old.
More marital trouble.
Then even deeper marital trouble.
My 17 year old dog dies. I had had him for more than half my life.
Marital trouble.

Luddy
08-06-2010, 01:15 AM
Really proud of everyone for their progress and successes so far!

It's been a slow, gradual thing my whole life without me really worrying about health or even seriously losing till this year.

Always had a bunch of muscle/was big boned from sports for so many years. Quit sports at the end of high school.
I was always a recluse of sorts but in college it exploded to full blown social-anxiety and tinges of depression. I was on medication and didn't really see any difference inside or out so I quit taking it and just dealt with it while comfort eating.
All my grandparents and dog died within 8 months of each other and any weight losing I wanted to do took a back seat to more comfort eating.
Out of college, it ballooned a bit because I wasn't walking all the time to classes anymore.
That mixed with plain laziness just wasn't going in a good direction...but it's getting so much better!

cb1
08-06-2010, 01:31 AM
I was a chubby teen. Everyone else in my family was 300+ lbs (and still are). I never thought I was fat until I saw a picture of myself at sixteen. They all called me the skinny one (I was about a size 12.)

I joined the army. I lost lots of weight. I was thin!!! I was a size 6!! I ate whatever I wanted!! I was so happy! ... I ran six miles a day...lifted weights... so i never watched what I ate. I ate whatever.

Then I got out of the army 4 years later... and continued eating whatever I wanted... but without exercise (i got lazy quickly). 3 months after leaving I had already gained 30 lbs.

Then I got married and got pregnant. There was another 15 lbs. Then lost that, and more, because I was only eating one meal a day because I mostly was tired from being up at night with the baby. So, since baby napped lots, so did I. I was getting smaller, down to size 8, and then.... I got pregnant again. And ate, and ate, and ate. And I got up to 210 lbs when I was 9 months pregnant. I was 180lbs 6 weeks after he was born.

I convinced myself I didn't need to watch what I ate b/c breastfeeding would make me lose weight. Ha.

Anyhow, last year I found myself pushing 200 lbs (not pregnant or bfing anymore.. baby #2 is now almost 3 years old). I'm in a panic at this point.... I don't want to blow up to 300+lbs like my entire family - they all have heart disease, diabetes, joint pain and back problems, etc etc. I have to beat this. I have to be healthy for my kids. I want to be healthy and sexy for my husband. I don't want to have diabetes when I am 30 years old like everyone else in my family :(

Alana in Canada
08-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Eating to console myself.
Eating because I didn't care what happened to me.

Anyone see a contradiction there?

All the "reasons" I had to eat badly are still here. That doesn't mean I have to chose to eat badly.

Good luck everyone!

nancymae
08-06-2010, 01:46 AM
I am new here today, so hello all!

I have struggled with my weight all my life, even in my teens when I wasn't fat, I always thought I was... and after a while I really was fat.

I carry my weight pretty well and look and feel great as long as I stay under 180 pounds, but it has been about 16 years since I actually weighted less than 200 pounds.

Why am I fat?

1. I love to eat.

2. I never learned portion control. My parent let us eat what ever we wanted but made sure we were physically active and exercised. I have rheumatoid arthritis so I am not very active due to pain.

3. I am great at dieting but not so good at keeping weight off. After a year or so of maintaining my weight I slowly regain it.

Hamoco350
08-06-2010, 02:03 AM
It's kind of all I ever knew? I mean, my family is (for the most part) a healthy bunch. I've just always been fat. It's probably a combination of loving food and not being able to deal with my emotions in the right way. I've suffered from depression and anxiety, so whenever I was upset, food was my vice. I tried other methods besides food that were equally self destructive but I always went back to ice-cream and pasta.

Not having a good relationship with food can ruin a person.

tryn2bfit
08-06-2010, 02:16 AM
I love food. I turned to food to comfort me. I kept allowing myself to spiral out of control after every emotional loss the past 5 years.
I do not think it is important to focus on why we are fat... I focus more on how am I preventing these old habits and working on becoming healthy!
For me personally it really has been working on my relationship with food and how I deal with stress. Now I do not eat when I am emotional I wait until I am sure I am hungry. And when I am stressed I exercise first and then wait until I am really hungry to eat. I try to make food for nourishment only not as a reward.
I have been goin slow and steady 8 lbs a month lost

CarbsAreEvil
08-06-2010, 04:06 AM
I gained it around 3rd grade. I don't know why, I was just always SO hungry!

Trudiha
08-06-2010, 06:48 AM
I'm fat because sometimes (often) I don't exercise enough control.

For me it's much easier to look at my weight problem is these very simple terms because it puts me in control. We all have problems, we all have hard times but many people manage not to look for the solution to those problems in the middle of a cake. I'm hoping to become one of those people.

SCraver
08-06-2010, 10:43 AM
College + ignorance = 100 lbs gained.
I was 150 when I graduated from high school. At that time, I thought in order to lose weight or in order to be thin, I had to be hungry all the time and basically starve myself. Then I went away to college where there were buffets for every meal. I gained 20 lbs my freshman year, lost 10 over the summer, gained 20 my sophmore year, lost 10 over the summer. Rinse. Repeat. (mom and dad weren't there with me at college telling me what/when to eat) Then at some point I discovered booze and the fourth meal at 2 am. Even as I gaine weight, boys were still easy. I think if boys had gotten hard to catch, I may have done something sooner?

Then I graduated and moved in with my hubby (fiance at the time). He loved me. I gained and just about hit 250 lbs. (he gained, too) That first year we lived together, I don't think I ever ate a single veggie (how nasty is that?)

I honestly didn't really know any better. I knew I was eating "too much" and I knew what I was eating was "bad". But it was fun to be an adult and do what ever I wanted. I REALLY enjoyed my 20's. Lot's of drinking. Lots of eating.

Now, I am learning. I am learning that eating "whatever I want" doesn't actually make me feel good... it makes me sluggish and gives me heartburn. Eating HEALTHY makes me feel good. Both physically and emotionally.

saef
08-06-2010, 11:01 AM
I lost over 90 pounds, years ago, and lost my mind a little in the process. Seeing the numbers on the scale going lower & lower was just so gratifying. As was my favorite hobby, which was going into the dressing room at Marshall's or Filene's Basement & trying on like 30 different outfits, one after the other, staring & staring at myself in the mirror. My closet was packed with clothes. I hid them in the trunk of my car so no one could see how much I'd bought.

When I was a size 10, I wanted to be an eight. Then, at an eight, I wanted to be a six or a four. (Keep in mind this was back in the early 1990s, and those sizes are generally bigger now.) When I got to 115, I wanted to be 110 and then 107 & then under 105.

I can't say I maintained the weight loss, really -- but I did stay thin for three years, though in the process, I was always getting thinner, or battling the same couple pounds from the binge eating disorder that I developed. I'd eat fast & mindlessly, till I felt sick, and then, after my stomach settled, I'd go off & exercise for three hours consecutively.

I tried to vomit in the office bathroom one afternoon & decided I needed therapy.

The therapist helped stop the overexercising, and ended the binges, but didn't help me overcome plain old overeating. In trying to get better, I went the other way. In trying not to obsess about food or weight, I stopped weighing, and ate intuitively, to fix my broken attitude toward food.

I ate myself intuitively up to 247 pounds. My doctor began talking about things like Syndrome X and cholesterol, and was really unhappy with my blood sugar ratings. He sent me for a full-day-long glucose tolerance test, in which I drank something sugary & they drew my blood something like seven times. My inner arms were bruised & bandaged like a drug addict's by the time they were done.

So I was frightened then. Very frightened. I knew I had to lose weight. Problem was, when I'd taken off that much weight before, I'd gone crazy. I am only good at extremes, it seems, not at moderation.

So this time around, I looked for a therapist. I started reading avidly about nutrition & about various diets, particularly diets that took blood sugar issues into consideration.

I became an advocate of slow & steady & moderation. Anything that sounded remotely immoderate scared me. (Fasting, for one thing, scares me. Low-calorie diets scare me.)

And I started walking, which was easy in my old, hilly neighborhood, with its endless wide sidewalks with many shade trees planted around them. I live in a place where many people walk or take trains & where many actually don't own cars.

This time, I've done it sanely.

Gold32
08-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Ignorance. About portions and calories. My lifestyle in high school didn't involve paying any attention to that stuff, but between school prepared lunches (and portions), having no options to snack during the day, mom made dinners, and being so freaking busy most of the time, I never gained weight. I wasn't skinny, never had been, but I actually started to slowly lose weight.

Well. College. Whole new game. Didn't realize that how much I was eating, how many calories I was getting, was going up. I knew what "bad" food was, but my experiences so far had told me it wasn't a big deal. I hadn't changed my "diet"- just my circumstances. By the time I figured all this out, I was really reluctant to admit that this was the problem. Because I want to be able to eat whatever, whenever, like I did in high school. So it took a good 25 pounds after my freshman year initial gain before I got serious about doing something about it. I still don't like how conscience of my choices I'm going to have to be for the rest of my life, but it beats being super fat and unhealthy.

So that's it. Pure ignorance. No emotional eating, no comfort from food, no control issues or medication. Just ignorance. If I had known from the beginning more about portion control and how many calories are in what, I probably would have prevented a lot of damage, because now my ideas of how much food I need/want are all messed up. Fixing them is a lot harder than practicing from the beginning. Not that I will make my children feel fat, but they WILL know something about portion control, calories, and healthy food choices.

Beach Patrol
08-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Oh, my story is much like any other, maybe some differences here or there.

Chubby childhood. one of those "cute, fat" babies... that's fine, until Kindergarten. Got poked fun at thru 6th grade... Dropped the "baby fat" in 7th grade, was way too thin as a teen thru hi-school. Eating disorder left me at 92 lbs after graduation.

Went to college. Learned weight lifting as a sport. Gained 13 pounds of muscle weight in one year. Swam a lot, I was a lifeguard. Ate ANY thing and EVERY thing. Keeping weight off was no problem. I was in the best shape of my life from 19-22 years old.

At age 23.... out of college... got married.... got lazy. Gained 25 pounds. Started walking & eating a lot of salads. Lost 25 pounds in four months.

Stopped walking when winter arrived... gained 15 pounds.

Got divorced... lost weight.

Got engaged, gained weight.

Got DISengaged, lost weight.

Weight stayed mostly steady at around 120-125 pounds for about 4-5 years.

Met another... was at 126 when I married my 2nd husband.

See, sad... lost weight. Happy .... gained weight. (see the pattern?)

Then began my yo-yo dieting. Lost & gained 25-30-40 pounds about 7 times since I was 30 years old. At 35, I was 128. At 38, I was 152. At 40 I was 146. Up, down, up, down. :rolleyes:

Flip, flop... flip, flop.... lose/gain, lose/gain, lose/gain. My last "low weight" I was 42 and 138 pounds. I'm 47 now. 175 lbs. (180 showed on the scale this morning. :( )

While I know what it takes for my body to drop the weight, I have not yet learned maintenance (obviously). And I know that for me, exercise is key. BUT NOW... I'm in perimenopause, and all the things I've tried in the past to lose weight just don't seem to be working anymore. And I still enjoy exercise, but I'm so TIRED. And I really have to push myself to actually DO IT.

SO WHY AM *I* FAT??? Bottom line?

Gluttony.

Holy moly rock'n'rolly! - I. LOVE. FOOD.

Huge portions, extra helpings, more-more-more. Binge eating from time to time. And yet... I eat healthy MOST of the time. Go figger. :dizzy:

rachinma
08-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Laziness and over-indulgence.

GonnaTurnHeads
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
I was always, always a chubby kid. I just lloovveeedd junk food - and so did my family. Top that off with me being an extremely picky eater - it was a disaster. For example, I didn't like pre-school, so my parents bargained that I went, I would get a happy meal after. So, 3-4 days a week, I got a happy meal. Then I also got fast food anytime we went shopping. I didn't like the meals my parents cooked, so instead of having a fight about it - they would open a can of spaghetti o's for me. I was also homeschooled - so when my mom wanted a "treat" (daily) we would go to 7-11 and get a bag of chips, a candy bar and a soda each. I remember my family members giving me "tips" on how I should sit for family pictures, being coached by my aunts to "pick up your chin, you look fat." I remember my uncle poking me the belly when I was quite small (eye level with the ice dispenser on the fridge) and telling me "no one likes fat girls!!! put down those gumdrops!" and when I was 7, my grandmother bought me my first tape measure and set of hand weights to "guide myself better." (In hindsight, I was a child! Why weren't my meals being better guided FOR me?)

Then, when I was 11 - my mom had a gastric bypass surgery and life really turned upside down. While she started to lose weight, there became a focus on ME losing weight. But it was not healthy. My mom could only eat half a taco - so I also would only eat half a taco. My mom's caloric intake was 800 calories a day - so that became the goal I was given. And then my mom started to go to the gym. Being an 11 and 12 year old, I also went with her to the gym and worked out. I began watching the scale drop and became obsessed with it. I would go on walks with the dog for 7-10 miles a day by the time I was 13. But I was *so**so**so* HUNGRY! On my walks, I started to bring my babysitting money and would walk to 7-11, Mcdonalds, the ice cream shop - and I would sit in an alley way and BINGE. 12 years old, alone - binging on food like there was no tomorrow. I started to feel guilty about doing that because the scale wasn't going down anymore and I learned from friends about vomiting. So I began to purge my meals - eventually going to laxative abuse from the medicine cabinet because I was having trouble hiding my swollen face from purging by vomiting and I *knew* it wasn't right.

Eventually, I got fairly thin and was on a very regular - starve, exercise, binge, purge cycle when a close adult family friend sat down and told me she thought I shouldn't lose anymore weight. Looking back, I wonder if I was looking as unhealthy as I was. I remember very clearly her telling me that "girls who work out a lot and get thin and muscular are not attractive to boys and no boy will ever like you like that." That was the day I stopped working out. Made a choice - not to work out. Quit the soccer team, quit the swim team, never went back the gym and never went on those long walks again.

My mom ended up eating her way through her gastric bypass and sustained on a diet of lays potato chips and snicker bars for a very long time. There was ALWAYS junk in the house - and I never stopped binging and purging. BUT, I stopped working out, so the binges were not balanced with extreme exercise, and I was purging by using laxatives and by then - your body has already absorbed most of the calories! - So I gained and gained, got more and more depressed. When I got my drivers license and could drive to food - thats when it really got bad because I learned I could go to LOTS of places, eat all the food in the car, parking hidden somewhere, dump the packages and no one would be the wiser...

As I stand now, I have been a bulimic for 16 years. Although now I can control my binges and purges when I could not have before, I look back on my life - and there isn't a time that I can remember that I wasn't weight conscious, ridiculed and singled out for my weight - and NOW I am changing that, in a controlled, safe manner - on my terms.

Losing It 2010
08-06-2010, 03:18 PM
When i was a child I was called fat (plus short) my family and friends called me fat. I look at pictures of myself now and cringe, I was not fat by any sense of the word. In HS puberty hit and I gained weight and I was fat.

Into adulthood I never went on any diet per se but I would starve myself and exercise..then the baby came along

In 1996 I starved myself down to 119, ended up on psych meds for about 6 years, ballooned up to close to 200lb I am sure

Got sick in 2004, couldn't eat anything for about 6 mos, so lost a gooble amount of weight (I think I got down to 150)

Since then well I have been enjoying my new life, be grateful and not thinking about what I was eating, McDonalds $1 menu got the best of me

So here I am realizing at 43 that i cannot eat like I did when I was 24 and so I am watching what I eat and exercising, allowing myself 1 day a month of indulgence

WHOA, I just summed up 40 years of life into 1 post. scarey

CarbsAreEvil
08-06-2010, 03:24 PM
I gained it around 3rd grade. I don't know why, I was just always SO hungry!

Let me clarify, lol. I started gaining around 3rd grade. Ever since then my appetite has always been ridiculous. The only difference between now and then is that now, I know how to lose weight and I ALWAYS weigh myself so that I don't forget my goals.

tea2
08-06-2010, 03:40 PM
I was sometimes a bit overweight in my 20s and 30s...between 10-20 pounds, but managed. My mother died suddenly when I was 32. I packed on almost 50 pounds. I'm 45 now. Started trying to lose that by making small changes (skim milk, brown stuff) about 6 years ago. Calorie counting now. That, and I like food and have a terrible sweet tooth.

honeythorn
08-06-2010, 04:37 PM
I've been overweight since I was a small child. My parents have always cooked in the old fashioned way, and have NO CONCEPT whatsoever of small portions. I ate adult sized meals.

Most of the stuff wasn't that unhealthy , I just ate too much of it. As I grew older I did eat a little unhealthier but again, not as much as most I know. I perhaps haven't done anywhere near as much cardio exercise as I should have either.

My current weight is the slimmest/lightest I've been in nearly 10 years. I'm 12 stone 11 now at the age of 27, I was 11 stone when I was 18, and that was only because I had a fixed brace and couldn't eat a great deal of things , such a bread, apples, pizza, all sorts of stuff, which would get stuck between the bands and fixtures.

When the brace came off everything went downhill. I ate because I could, and because I love food. I'm just greedy plain and simple :(

I do partly blame my parents for my size, they certainly didn't help in the slightest, though mother does understand now and buys the things I ask her to. But then she'll go and make a delicious looking cake which kills me to smell and see. I do have a piece but now I only have one. I take said cakes to work now to share out, so I don't eat it all myself. I also know that the rest of the blame falld squarely on me. I didn't have to eat that food. No one shoved it into my mouth but me, and I enjoyed it every time. But I have never enjoyed it's results and what I see in the mirror.

A guy at work is the one who's helped me lose weight diet-wise. He's into Bodybuilding and put me on a low carb high protien diet. Not as strict as a typical bodybuilder's show diet, but enough to work. I also started aerobics and joined the gym, and that's helped as well. I've started taking the diet pill Capsiplex after seeing excellent results on a woman at work who took it ( and she has done no exercise or changed her diet , she's lost 9lbs just being like that and taking it !!! ) So I'm hoping to get a good result from that to help boost and motivate me even more.

canadianwoman
08-06-2010, 05:51 PM
For me, I think it all started when I was born. After my mom died in 2002, I found the 'recipe' for the baby formula my mom fed me. It was prescribed to her by her doctor and one of the items in the formula was sugar. My mother had to make up this formula every day because this was 1961 and liong before commercially made infant formulas were developed.

As I grew up my mom loved to bake so of course I was eating lots of refined carbs as well as too much sugar from all the cookies, bread, pies and homemade jams she liked to make. From my baby and childhood photos I noticed I started really getting chubby around age 9 and continued getting heavier as I aged. Having PCOS added to my weight as I hit puberty but I never knew I had it. I only had a suspicion that 'something' was not quite right with me regarding my weight.

When I had my first child at age 23 that is when my weight really shot up. I gained over 50 pounds with my first one basically from eating whatever I wanted and sitting around watching tv.
After my second son was born I pretty much stayed on that sofa, got little exercise and ate whatever I wanted to and too much of it. I gained a LOT of weight until it got to the point where I am at today.....well over 350 pounds. In fact I am probably well over 400 but without a scale to weigh myself on that goes higher then 350 pounds I really have no idea. I just guess I am.

cataclysmic
08-06-2010, 07:19 PM
After many years of very disordered eating, all out self hatred seemed to be the only answer i can come up with. I gained the weight in such an intense and extreme manner (less then 7 months. the shame will never totally leave i fear) it doesn't seem "real" some days. However it very obviously is. I worry that (other then my biggest fear which is loss skin, therefore "proof" that will linger) i'll never have an "ok" relationship with food, that the fact that when i tried to allow myself to "eat/digest" food again...that i got fat, will always remain.

Laureedee
08-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Mine's a back and forth story too.

I was overweight from about junior high on, even though I was active then. It's probably the only reason I wasn't heavier than I was. Never paid much attention to my weight, and was shocked to see 222 on the scale the summer after my first year of college. I lost 40lbs, met my now ex, had two kids and managed to maintain, miraculously. After we split up, I was miserable. Not over him really, just over the path my life had taken. Within a year and a half, I had gained 60lbs. Got sick of it, lost the 60lbs and got back to my low adult weight, and became comfortable. Let go of my good eating habits because nobody in my family ate that way or supported me and I was a bit cocky (and wrongly so) about my ability to maintain/lose. A bit of depression snuck in about there, because I wasn't happy with the majority of my life, and I gained some back, but at least I stopped it then or I could have easily wound up back at 240lbs...or higher. My main problem comes when I give up on myself...I'm an emotional eater, and when I let myself get lost in food and stop believing I'm worth the effort of maintaining/losing weight, I balloon up.

JessLess
08-06-2010, 09:44 PM
I was on the heavy side of normal until college where I got up to 180 lbs. because I didn't know much about nutrition or cooking except that pasta was cheap and easy. I thought girls who were obsessed with their weight were shallow. I started playing rugby and working out and got down to maybe 140.

I got married and my husband and I loved to cuddle on the couch, watch movies, and eat delicious food. Like a retired football player, after I stopped playing rugby, I ballooned. We lived in New Orleans, which was not exactly a diet town. He didn't care what I weighed and I got up to 230. I became a fat advocate. Then we lost our house in Katrina and I got up to about 257 with nowhere to cook or store food after the storm and eating out all the time.

Really, I like food and I have trouble caring enough about losing weight. But like everyone I have an OHMYGODIAM2FAT!!! weight, and it turned out mine was 250. I used to be pretty and now I am a bit blobular. I am so looking forward to weighing something starting with a 1.

bellona
08-06-2010, 10:16 PM
I was always active and doing things and never really paid too much attention to what I was eating. If I liked it, I ate it. I never really overate or anything. In high school for awhile I had this weird almost eating disorder where I just didn't eat anything, but I kind of grew out of that. In college, I became a vegetarian after I gained some weight, but then I was back down to a heavier but acceptable weight. I worked out like 3 days a week, was a lifeguard, and walked everywhere because I didn't have a car.

Then fast forward to grad school. It was just 3 years of terrible decisions, pretty much. I got involved in one bad relationship after another. I was stressed and tired, always. I barely had time to cook for myself, but I did find time to go out drinking 3-4 days a week, which often ended at burger king or taco bell. I didn't like coffee, but I needed caffeine so I was drinking pop, energy drinks, and starbucks mochas. I had a crappy apartment and didn't own a scale. It was a gradual gain, like 10 lbs a year, but wow, it really caught up with me. I was emotionally eating, which I had never done. Eating horrible fast food and restaurant food about 4 days a week. Not doing much exercise at all except walking to classes. Drinking way too many calories worth of alcohol. Moved to a cold climate where I wasn't out nearly as much. A combination of all of those factors just made me...fat. haha.

blindcantaloup
08-07-2010, 07:51 AM
I blame it on poor parenting. As a kid my parents didn't cook often, and stopped by Mcdonalds for us kids just about every night. We drank soda like water, and refused to drink water. There were no limitations either, we could eat whatever we wanted, however much we wanted. When most kids were eating happy meals still, I was eating a Quarter Pounder supersized value meal. So needless to say I was a fat kid! When I got into my teenage years I changed my lifestyle and it feels so great to be healthy now.

In my adulthood I've slipped up a little bit.. I associate good memories with food I ate at the time. So sometimes I want to relive that whole feeling and go back to that food (comfort eating i guess). And also my boyfriend bringing tons of mountain dew and pizza carryout into the house has effected me a bit.

juls64
08-07-2010, 09:57 AM
I just like to eat junk food.

I love pizza, McDonalds, Candy, cookies, ice cream, Pop-Tarts, beer, french fries, an endless list and I will eat what I want and when I want.

Then one day I stand on the scale or have to hold my breath to tie my shoes, or lie on the bed to zip my pants and I will start to eat healthy again. This lasts a while- a few months or years, then I start eating junk again.

Serbrider
08-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Various reasons. I ate mainly because I was taught from an early age that foods like "chocolate, candy, cakes, ice cream" etc were GOOD foods, and ones that you should want. So... they were ones I'd try and eat the most of. A lot of them I didn't even like the taste of, but I ate them because they were the "good" foods. They were the ones I was supposed to like. For example, I HATE greasy food. Stuff like fried chicken, greasy meats, etc absolutely disgust me. But... they are the "good" foods, so I ate them. I also don't like really salty things. They burn my tongue. But... they are "good" foods, so I ate them. I don't like meat. But... I ate it. Actually... as soon as I'm out on my own (I have to wait one more year... then I'm in college), I'm going completely vegan. I don't like meat, can't STAND eggs or fish... so... yeah.

I also ate more because our family eats in front of the TV most of the time. So... I just grab food, and don't realize what I'm grabbing.

It snuck up on me. I don't exactly know HOW it happened. It wasn't a conscious decision. Wish it could be the same way with weight LOSS.

peacebunny
08-09-2010, 06:30 PM
I was a thin child that never had to excercise because I wasn't raised that way. I wasn't taught to be athletic and cared soley about my books, not my moms fault cause she knew this is what made me happy and had far too many over-active kids to be worried about the one or the way we ate. She just wanted to make sure we fed so nutrition wasn't always number one with food choices...just having food was enough. I learned to love chocolate at age 7 and fell in love with cupcakes, cookies, candy bars, icecream, hot chocolate, chocolate milk but still was slim to the point where it didn't matter up until a few years ago when I started to gain.

I gained and gained for a period of 1-3 years and then plateau into the weight i am now only going slightly down here and there. It wasn't a problem because I felt like I was attractive and had a healthy sense of self and loved me so I wasn't really hurrying to lose it but the weight and the buying of the bigger clothes is becoming a burden financially and physically on my body.

So I now want to lose weight just to look like the hot thang that I always proclaim myself to be anytime someone remotely mentions my weight.

MK2010
08-09-2010, 06:54 PM
If I am honest with myself - I am fat because
1. I eat too much
2. I do not do anywhere near enough exercise

Until I emotionally accept that I need to do less of number 1 and more of number 2...I will always be "chunky", "well upholstered", "plump" and all those other patronising words that people use in place of plain old fat.

I await the day when I stop blaming "big bones"; "being so un-coordinated that I just CAN'T do any sports"; "no sense of balance so obviously I can't ride a bike"; "too heavy to run - I can't risk snapping my ankles" ... etc etc...

AllisonR
08-09-2010, 06:57 PM
I used to be a skinny skinny child, but then when puberty hit, I became a chubby girl - not fat, but definitely always had an extra 15-20 lbs on me.

It stayed this until university. Since in my life, I do everything the hard way and backwards, I did not gain in my freshmen year, but actually LOST about 30-40 lbs, just through stress, not eating as much without my mother cooking for me, etc. So I went from 155-160lbs to 118lbs (at my lowest). I also took to running on the treadmill.

I kept the weight for about 2-3 years, then graduated, and went to teach abroad. My significant other at the time, followed me. And instead of the doing the typical tourist-y things in Asia, he decided to play video games. And although it was his prerogative, and I cannot put any of the blame on him, because it was my decision, I felt he contributed to my stagnant lifestyle. He didn't make any effort to work out, and I, in my loneliness, decided to spend time with him, and try to be involved with his interests.

Why he didn't take the same effort in my interests is a whole other story. But then I gained all back and then some!!!!

I came back home at 163lbs. And now am on my way down. I really don't know what I weigh now, because I find the scale disheartening. I'd like to believe I'm around 140-150lbs. I wear a size 4/6.

So that's my story, morning glory!

EagleRiverDee
08-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Well, it took me 10 years to figure it out, and it was multiple issues.

First and foremost, I began to have hypothyroid issues at age 28, which slowed my metabolism. As the condition worsened, losing weight became impossible. I gained 90 lbs in 9 years.

I also didn't have the most realistic idea of what healthy foods were. I was eating whole wheat and vegetables and not eating fast food or drinking soda, so I thought my diet was good. What I didn't realize is my diet was FULL of common allergens. I now eat an anti-inflammatory diet.

I also had some empty calories in the form of alcoholic beverages and coffee (with cream). I have since quit drinking both alcoholic and coffee beverages and drink water or green tea.