General chatter - smoking ban?

View Full Version : smoking ban?

19Deltawifey
08-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Well my friend posted on her FB acct about how she hates the smoking ban, she is a smoker but she has a friend who isn't a smoker and she doesn't agree with the smoking ban. Her advice to non smokers is to move away from the smoke but that is kinda hard to do if you are in a bar or club with plenty of smokers. So I was wondering what other think about the smoking ban?

Well I guess to answer my own question I was happy when they started banning smoking at the bars and clubs that I went to because the smoke would build up in there and I would come out smelling like smoke, my hair would stink, my lungs would burn, and my eyes would start burning. And also the drunk smokers who accidentally burn you with their cigs. I was usually designated driver so I noticed the smoke a lot more but once the ban happened I was happy that I could walk out the club without smelling like smoke.

Oops I should have added that I don't smoke at all

ddc
08-05-2010, 03:06 PM
I am an ex-smoker and I am glad that smoking is banned in public places in my state.

I really can't stand the smell of it now--yucko.

PapayaMule
08-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Personally the smoking ban has changed my life for the better.
My fiance and I are both musicians and had to gig in smoky conditions a few times a week. I have always had a sensitive nose and allergies but I didn't realize how much of it was due to breathing in other people's smoke.

I couldn't sleep properly because I couldn't stop sneezing, couldn't ever breathe through my nose and had what I thought was chronic rhinitis. My nostrils were literally throbbing inside and I felt like each day was a battle.

Ever since the UK smoking ban all my symptoms have completely vanished! I don't even get hayfever anymore which I used to suffer with terribly, it's like my nose has had a chance to heal and now it's not so sensitive.

Also, we both used to find the smoke would damage our instruments and make them reek whenever we opened the cases.

As you can imagine, it makes me pretty annoyed when people defend "their right" to smoke in pubic.

JoJoJo2
08-05-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm an ex-smoker, and I am glad to have the no-smoking ban in place. It's a nasty habit, and secondhand smoke can be a killer.

ThicknPretty
08-05-2010, 03:20 PM
I can understand why a non smoker would support the ban for sure. And I think it's ok to certain extent. What I don't understand is why we can't still have the smoking and non-smoking sections in restaraunts. I thought that was a rather good compromise...idk.

FitGirlyGirl
08-05-2010, 03:28 PM
I am an ex-smoker and I am completely in favor of the smoking bans. My husband still smokes and he is also in favor of it, he doesn't mind stepping outside or just waiting until it's time to go - that's what he does at home and work anyhow. Unfortunately there is not a total ban here yet, there is still smoke in the clubs, but at least the more important places have it in place - like restaurants. It is easier to keep away from nightclubs than it is restaurants and at least children aren't in nightclubs.

ThicknPretty - It is impossible for a restaurant with sections to truly confine the second hand smoke to the smoking section. It is also unfair to the non-smoking employees to make them go into smoking sections to serve customers.

ANOther
08-05-2010, 03:38 PM
It is impossible for a restaurant with sections to truly confine the second hand smoke to the smoking section. It is also unfair to the non-smoking employees to make them go into smoking sections to serve customers.

And even if you could have the smokers in a separate room from the non-smokers, the passive smoke might make its way throughout the building via the ductwork, which I think is why so many public buildings (including the campus where I work) ban virtually all indoor smoking.

It doesn't take much: a few weeks ago the group from our office went to a restaurant for lunch; we took cars, and I was in a co-worker's car whose husband I think smokes cigars. Although I've only actually seen him smoke once or twice, the car always smells cigar-y, and I could smell cigars on myself the rest of the day

ETA: non-smoker: when I was around 5 or 6 my mom, who has since quit, would occasionally leave a cig in the ashtray while she went to answer the phone; I'd pick it up and take an experimental puff, and all that did was make me wonder what possible satisfaction anybody could get out of firing up a wad of dried leaves and sucking in the hot gases. So I never started smoking in earnest

19Deltawifey
08-05-2010, 03:39 PM
I can understand why a non smoker would support the ban for sure. And I think it's ok to certain extent. What I don't understand is why we can't still have the smoking and non-smoking sections in restaraunts. I thought that was a rather good compromise...idk.

When I was in restaurants that had smoking sections, the smoke would still float to the non smoking areas. I guess the smoke floated over there because the smoking area was open and it wasn't blocked off. I remember at this one club that was on our Army base it had a smoking room with a door that shut and omg you could barely see in that room. I guess it wasn't well ventilated and the smoke just stayed in the room, so I guess this is why restaurants don't have blocked off areas with doors that close or at least that is just my experience.

audrina
08-05-2010, 03:40 PM
I live in a state where you can't smoke in public places and I LOVE it. I'm sorry but I shouldn't have to suffer because of someone else's nasty habit. We should move away from the smoke? They can keep it in their own homes.

Edit: As for the non-smoking section: IT STILL SMELLS. I'm sorry but EVERY time I smell cigarette smoke I get a migraine. Why should I be in bed for 3 days because of something I don't partake in [but I used to]?

To me it's just common decency. Take the smoking somewhere with fresh air or at home.

Wysteria
08-05-2010, 03:55 PM
We've had a smoking ban here for ages and it's lovely going into a pub now - my clothes don't stink of smoke and it's nice being able to go to bed without having to shower because I smell.

I admit I'm an occasional (read: when I'm stressed and/or drunk) smoker, but even before the ban I used to go outside for one. I hated people who smoked inside, I thought it was so inconsiderate for all the non-smokers. Especially in restaurants. Urgh.

So yeah, smoking bans are good but smokers should always have gone outside anyways. It's called being considerate to others.

sarahyu
08-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Love the smoking bans!

Teresa66
08-05-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm an ex-smoker and have lived in two states that have smoking bans. It's wonderful! I remember being a smoker and thinking it was unfair that I couldn't smoke in a bar or restaurant, but now that I've quit I fully support anything that will get people to smoke less and to stop offending and making people sick with their smoke.

We just recently traveled north and I believe it's Virgina where you can still smoke in restaurants. It was appalling! There really is no invisible wall that keeps that offense odor away from those that don't wish to smell it. Just go outside, or better yet, quit and then you too will get on the no-smoke band wagon. ;)

nelie
08-05-2010, 04:42 PM
I grew up in California and I believe they instituted smoking bans about 20 years ago. I remember initially, it was for separate air systems/boundaries which actually cost a lot of businesses owners a lot of money and many of them banned smoking on their own due to that but shortly after that, smoking was banned completely.

I think it is a good thing especially for the workers. I'd personally hate to be a low wage server and then have to be exposed to smoking as well. I know initially in California, the business owners were worried that it would affect their businesses but in the end, it didn't.

EagleRiverDee
08-05-2010, 05:08 PM
I used to smoke 2-1/2 packs a day, for 5 years.I quit at 21, and am so glad I did. I couldn't breathe- literally.

Personally, I LOVE the smoking ban in our city. After I quit smoking, I hated going out and having my clothes reek of stale cigarettes after a night out dancing. I hated going to a restaurant and having smoke drift over while I was eating. I'm all for people being able to smoke in their own homes (apartments included), their cars, and outdoors (away from windows and doors) but I don't think it's anyone's right to force me to breathe their toxins or to put the onus on me to get up and leave because they want to light up. They have the habit, they should go outside.

audrina
08-05-2010, 05:11 PM
I agree, I don't understand why people who make the choice not to smoke should have to inhale the toxins from cigarette smoke. I don't go around shoving cake down people's throats just because I like cake...

19Deltawifey
08-05-2010, 05:34 PM
I love the smoking ban. Ours didn't kick in until May of this year. I haven't even gone out since the ban started, but I'm loving it from afar. I can't wait to go to a bar and not have to fumble around, drunk, in the shower before going to bed because I smell so nasty. Showering drunk is probably more lethal than smoking.

LOL so true

bacilli
08-05-2010, 06:18 PM
I'm a smoker who doesn't mind the smoking ban. I choose to smoke, but I shouldn't force others to inhale it also. What irritates me is people who walk through a designated smoking area and give me dirty looks and nasty comments about how they shouldn't have to be around my cigarette. So, um, don't walk right through the designated (with big signs) smoking area?

Jenteal
08-05-2010, 08:21 PM

I think a lot of that has to do with the servers who have to work in the smoking sections. It puts their health in jeopardy.

I smoked for 15 years and LOVE the smoking ban. Since quitting I seem to have become highly sensitive to the smoke and my eyes will just burn. Thank goodness my BF takes his cigs outside to smoke until he finally quits also....

Luddy
08-06-2010, 01:42 AM
Love the smoking bans. Could rant on this subject forever and a day.
I've never smoked because it just clicked early in life for me how bad it was and never had any peer pressure. But I understand people getting sucked into starting and how addicting it is.

My college campus became smoke free the year after I graduated which thrilled me but wish it would've happened before I got burned by careless free arm swinging walkers, dealt with the stenches, etc.

What I don't love are co-workers ignoring the new ban at work they can't smoke on site. Many e-mails have been sent about it and they've been told multiple times to walk 10 feet to the sidewalk but yet they keep ignoring it and smoke right outside the exit en route to our cars. It's so incredibly rude and intentionally inconsiderate. I don't like them, lol. Then when they come and hover right after one of their many many breaks, it infuriates me.
*ends rant*

jojo23
08-06-2010, 02:09 AM
Here in the UK there is a blanket smoking ban. It is easier to tell you where you can smoke: ie your own home (although one family was sued by their neighbours for ciggie smoke going into their neighbours home from the garden... I kid you not) and out of doors.
The reality is that in city centres you see shop and office workers huddled in doorways, in all weathers frantically sucking on a ciggie!
I smoked like a chimney for over 30 years and hubby and I finally managed to quit in 2005.

therex
08-06-2010, 03:42 AM
i'm an ex-smoker (about 3 months) and i think the law is absolutely ridiculous. I mean, I get the purpose behind not being able to smoke 15 ft from entrances, or parks.. but outside? it's silly. I'm an adult, and if i want to smoke outside or on a porch or bar, I should be able to.

If non-smokers don't like it, there's plenty of places that aren't tolerant of smokers available. I just think it's an infringement on an individual's rights.

lauralyn
08-06-2010, 09:51 AM
I quit just a little over 2 years ago now and I love the bans. I did not mind stepping outside when I smoked and even felt bad when I did that and my smoke went into a non smokers face.

Ciao
08-06-2010, 10:08 AM
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/Divider-1-1.jpg

I love the smoking ban. I hate
the smell of smoke to the point where
if I'm around it I start gagging. It's
refreshing to go places without worrying
about smoke around me or my younger
brothers/sister. My health is important
to me and I'm not too thrilled of getting lung
cancer from someone else's bad habit.

On the contrary, I do not mind the PEOPLE
who smoke. Though I may not like their
habit, I'm not one to judge them by
what they do. I understand it's an addiction
and quitting is easier said than done.

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/Divider-1.jpg

Sis
08-06-2010, 10:47 AM
I was glad when the ban went into effect. To me the whole idea of a "smoking section" was kind of crazy. I read a sign once that said "having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a peeing area in a pool". Really, its not going to stay in one section of the restaurant. lol I also don't miss coming home reeking from smoke either. My allergies have greatly improved also. :)

Haley8203
08-06-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm an ex-smoker, and I am glad to have the no-smoking ban in place. It's a nasty habit, and secondhand smoke can be a killer.

i agree and even when i did smoke i understood especially around kids. there's also 3rd hand smoke, the residual crap from the smoke and stuff that doesn't go away..something like that i heard about it on the news.

EZMONEY
08-06-2010, 09:08 PM
I live in California :carrot:...I think it is against the law to :smoking: smoke anywhere here :carrot:...

unless you have a doctor's excuse ;)

This month I will have been a non-smoker for 13 years :carrot: I smoked from the time I was 14...got good at it at 18...until I was 43 :( I wasn't a wuss at it either!...at least 2 packs a day!

I think smoking should be outlawed everywhere!

and I am not one of those ex-smokers....but no one should have to put up with it under any circumstances :mad:

I do not believe designated smoking areas work AT ALL!

HOWEVER....I believe that there should be bars and restaurants for :smoking: smokers....I think it is up for the owner to decide...

if you want to go there and smoke...fine

you do not have to visit...work....at such a business if you don't want to.

There would be PLENTY of places for those that don't smoke and those that do to choose from.

Haley8203
08-06-2010, 09:28 PM
i'm an ex-smoker (about 3 months) and i think the law is absolutely ridiculous. I mean, I get the purpose behind not being able to smoke 15 ft from entrances, or parks.. but outside? it's silly. I'm an adult, and if i want to smoke outside or on a porch or bar, I should be able to.

If non-smokers don't like it, there's plenty of places that aren't tolerant of smokers available. I just think it's an infringement on an individual's rights.

i see your point but i bring my daughter to the fair and there's people smoking everywhere when it's shoulder to shoulder crowded i know my lungs are black i smoked for 14 years but my daughter shouldn't have to inhale it in a "kid friendly" environment like a town fair so places like that i disagree with you.

EZMONEY
08-06-2010, 09:44 PM
What really PO's me is when a smoker sticks their arm out the window with their cig. at a stop light so the smoke doesn't blow in their car but does into yours!

EZMONEY
08-06-2010, 09:46 PM
and another gripe!!!

I work construction...most of our jobs here in California are non-smoking so the clowns spend a ton of time smoking in the disgusting out-houses...

so when I go in to pee I get a double dose of nasty!!!

Ursula745
08-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I am an ex-smoker and I HATE smoke. I can't get away from it as easily as a smoker get go outside to smoke. I LOVE smoking bans and feel that no one should be able to smoke inside of anything except their own home and car, and ONLY if it's child free. I think it should be illegal to smoke in a car or home with children.

Haley8203
08-06-2010, 09:58 PM
What really PO's me is when a smoker sticks their arm out the window with their cig. at a stop light so the smoke doesn't blow in their car but does into yours!

ya i know even with the windows up if i have the air on i can smell it oh and when they are driving next to me and i get ashes flicked in my window...that's fun....

therex
08-06-2010, 10:06 PM
i see your point but i bring my daughter to the fair and there's people smoking everywhere when it's shoulder to shoulder crowded i know my lungs are black i smoked for 14 years but my daughter shouldn't have to inhale it in a "kid friendly" environment like a town fair so places like that i disagree with you.

yeah, that goes back to parks, and etc. i get that there's children and the elderly that can really be affected by 2nd hand smoke.

But outside, and bars where there are no children.. it's an individual's prerogative whether they're going to smoke, or be around 2nd hand smoke.

In California, it's pretty much illegal to smoke anywhere, even in your own house or patio. THAT is an infringement on an individual's rights. I don't like being around people who smoke necessarily, it brings back awful cravings.. but that doesn't mean i'm in support of outlawing smoking.

Kittykat Red
08-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Hi im a smoker from Ireland and we have had the smoking ban in place since march of 2004 (I think we were one of the first countries to have it) when it first came into effect people said no way would it work people taught it was the most ridiculous thing that they had ever heard(me included) but we soon got used to it and pubs clubs and restaurants adapted to it, with some very elaburate smoking areas being constructed, now 6 years on and i couldnt imagine smoking in a public place, it would just feel so wrong and when I am out i dont smoke as much as i would have normally x

Haley8203
08-06-2010, 10:19 PM
i for one would love to sign a petition to make smoking ciggs illegal lol i know a lot of people are against it but it's not like something most people can casually do it's extremely addictive and deadly and i think it should be against the law

19Deltawifey
08-07-2010, 12:06 AM
But outside, and bars where there are no children.. it's an individual's prerogative whether they're going to smoke, or be around 2nd hand smoke.

Everyone should be able to go to any bar that they choose without having to deal with 2nd hand smoke. How much of a inconvenience is it for a person who smokes to step outside and smoke and then come back into the bar where they can breathe clean air? The bar should be enjoyable for everyone not just the smokers. My mom used to work at a bar and she is a non smoker and would complain about her chest hurting and how she wished at the time that they wouldn't allow people to smoke inside.

Latchkey Princess
08-07-2010, 02:05 AM
I was a smoker when my state implemented the smoking ban, and I was for it then. I'm an ex-smoker now and I support it even more. I despise the smell of second hand smoke, even when I was a smoker it would gag me. I can't stand eating around smoke (it ruins the taste of the food!), and I can't fathom why it's such a big deal to people to have to step outside for five minutes to have a cigarette.

Also, my youngest daughter has a smoke allergy. It's not life threatening, but she coughs and sputters and gets red eyed and snotty nosed and wheezy when she's around anything having to do with smoke. Even my in-laws, who don't smoke around her but do smoke, cause her small reactions just by holding her against clothes they've smoked in. I can only imagine if the smoking ban wasn't in place, where would I be able to take my baby girl without having to worry about her possibly having an allergic reaction? We couldn't go to restaurants that had smoking sections, we wouldn't be able to go to the mall, we couldn't go anywhere that smoking was allowed. Why should my kid have to stay home because people want to smoke inside? As it is we have to be careful outside, when we went to the carnival this summer I was standing with her in her stroller waiting for my oldest daughter to get off of a ride and a lady standing a few feet away from us was smoking. Within 2 minutes my baby was wheezy and her eyes were red. There's nothing I can do about that (altho I think it's rude to smoke around kids who have no say in whether they want their lungs blackened or not), but I'm glad there's laws in place so I don't have to worry about indoor places too.

Thats just my opinionated two cents.

bacilli
08-07-2010, 08:57 AM
i for one would love to sign a petition to make smoking ciggs illegal lol i know a lot of people are against it but it's not like something most people can casually do it's extremely addictive and deadly and i think it should be against the law

That's a bit extreme. I, for one, think eating meat and dairy is deadly, extremely addictive, causes cholesterol issues, allergy issues, and there's a defined link between eating animal products and medical issues including cancer. If I go to a restaurant and am surrounded by the smell of meat, it makes me gag. Should we make eating and wearing animal products illegal?

There's a line between looking out for the welfare of the masses and infringing on individual rights.

Edited to add:

As I've said, I'm a smoker that agrees with the smoking bans - to an extent. If I'm outside, in a designated smoking area, don't walk through the area if you don't want to be exposed to the smoke. The smoking areas in my city are clearly marked with huge signs. If I'm in my own house, on my own property, leave me alone. Even before the smoking bans, I didn't smoke around children or the elderly - those that can't get up and move away on their own accord. I choose to smoke, but I shouldn't make that choice for others.

lauralyn
08-07-2010, 08:58 AM

Yes but a child should not have to leave the fair because people are smoking all around them.

We took our kids on a whale watching cruise last week and there was a woman standing in line behind us to get on the boat ( it was about a 30 min wait) smoking one after another and her smoke was wafting right over to us. I don't need to smell that and neither do my kids. Were we supposed to leave because she chose to smoke around us outside?

sandyevans
08-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Seems like a lot of people who used to smoke are now against it. Interesting topic. I'm not sure if I agree with it or not. I feel like it should maybe be a choice of a business owner if they want to allow smoking inside or not.

EZMONEY
08-07-2010, 09:28 AM
i for one would love to sign a petition to make smoking ciggs illegal lol.......

lol....see below ;)

Everyone should be able to go to any bar that they choose without having to deal with 2nd hand smoke.....

It is a pain in the butt...to have to step outside anytime you want to smoke....AND....the smoke and smell ALWAYS comes back inside anyway :D....That is why I think there should be non-smoking AND smoking bars....drinking and smoking have always gone together.

That's a bit extreme......

There's a line between looking out for the welfare of the masses and infringing on individual rights.

see above ;)...I think the "lol" after Haley's thought showed she knew it was an extreme thought...but as an ex-smoker I agree with her....lol....:)

EZMONEY
08-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Seems like a lot of people who used to smoke are now against it. Interesting topic. I'm not sure if I agree with it or not. I feel like it should maybe be a choice of a business owner if they want to allow smoking inside or not.

I think as ex-smokers WE finally get it!....on what people were complaining about all those years...we thought they were just being a pita....know a lot of us know there were not...well some were ;)...but we still get it now that we can smell again!

I agree with the business (those that commen sense dicate) choosing smoking or non and I would bet a donut to a dollar here in California the businesses that chose to allow smoking would go out of business very quickly...exception...maybe a bar or two.

srmb60
08-07-2010, 09:40 AM
We've had bans for years too.

In our small town, there's a fella I'll call Ray. Ray is the third generation to own the same building. By the time the ban for public places came into effect, Ray was well over 60. A couple of days a week, he cut hair in his building. Old cronies, bored, retired gents sometimes needed a hair cut, sometimes needed an outing, sometimes wanted a cigar. Everybody knew what this establishment was. Folks who wanted their hair styled went someplace else.
I feel badly for Ray and his cronies.
I feel badly that we need to have legislation in lieu of common sense.

AmberD
08-07-2010, 09:55 AM
In theory, I don't agree with the smoking ban. If I am a proprietor of a bar, I believe it should be my prerogative whether or not to allow smoking and it should be your prerogative as a consumer whether to visit my establishment or to boycott it.

But in practice, I love the smoking ban. I love being able to walk into any bar and not come out reeking of cigarette smoke.

In VA, you can have smoking and nonsmoking sections as long as they are on separate ventilation systems.

Passionista
08-07-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm a smoker who doesn't mind the smoking ban. I choose to smoke, but I shouldn't force others to inhale it also. Thank you, I love your attitude! :hug:

I, for one, think eating meat and dairy is deadly, extremely addictive, causes cholesterol issues, allergy issues, and there's a defined link between eating animal products and medical issues including cancer. If I go to a restaurant and am surrounded by the smell of meat, it makes me gag. Should we make eating and wearing animal products illegal? :yes: :chin: There's just not any logical reason why we, in America, with so many options available, could not do so. :carrot:

FitGirlyGirl
08-07-2010, 01:15 PM
That's a bit extreme. I, for one, think eating meat and dairy is deadly, extremely addictive, causes cholesterol issues, allergy issues, and there's a defined link between eating animal products and medical issues including cancer. If I go to a restaurant and am surrounded by the smell of meat, it makes me gag. Should we make eating and wearing animal products illegal?

Eating meat is a natural thing for humans to do. There are studies that show ill effects from vegetarianism too. No matter what one wants to prove one can generally find studies that back them up. Cigarettes are not a natural thing for humans. There is no logical comparison.

EZMONEY
08-07-2010, 02:42 PM
We have always had restaurants serving meat and vegetarian restaurants....

I won't complain about the smell of your cauliflower and brussels sprouts if you don't complain about my bacon burger scents :)

but my non-smoke vs. your smoke is another matter :D

get your butt outta my face....

Onederchic
08-07-2010, 02:43 PM
We have always had restaurants serving meat and vegetarian restaurants....

I won't complain about the smell of your cauliflower and brussels sprouts if you don't complain about my bacon burger scents :)

but my non-smoke vs. your smoke is another matter :D

:lol: :D

ddc
08-07-2010, 03:11 PM

Pork butt? Boston butt? :lol:

19Deltawifey
08-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Yes but a child should not have to leave the fair because people are smoking all around them.

We took our kids on a whale watching cruise last week and there was a woman standing in line behind us to get on the boat ( it was about a 30 min wait) smoking one after another and her smoke was wafting right over to us. I don't need to smell that and neither do my kids. Were we supposed to leave because she chose to smoke around us outside?

This reminds me of the time when I was waiting in line to get tickets for a circus and this guy who was over 6ft tall was smoking in the middle of the line. It wasn't your typical line it was more like a circle/crowd of people and wow the smoke was almost unbearable and of course it was tons of kids around since it was a circus. This was outside also, being outside does not lessen the chance of 2nd hand smoke. Dealing with smoke outside is as annoying as dealing with it inside.

Also I think it's weird when I watch movies from the 80s and early 90s where most of the main characters are always smoking. I remember when my aunts and uncles would smoke around us with the windows rolled up when I was a kid. Thankfully now I don't see this happening that often now. I heard there used to be ash trays in emergeny rooms and doctors offices

19Deltawifey
08-07-2010, 03:29 PM
It is a pain in the butt...to have to step outside anytime you want to smoke....AND....the smoke and smell ALWAYS comes back inside anyway :D....That is why I think there should be non-smoking AND smoking bars....drinking and smoking have always gone together.

Drinking and smoking MIGHT go together for SOME but this is definitely not the rule. There are plenty of people who drink without smoking and I am one of them and so are plenty of other people that I know. Having a non smoking bar and then having a smoking bar would be equivalent to having a whites only bar or blacks only bar. I see this as dicrimination telling me not to go to a certain place. According to certain studies bars have not been affected negatively from the ban and that business has gotten better. Also the smoke does not come back inside or at least at the clubs that I went to, I never smelt a cig and trust me there were lots of smokers who went outside to smoke. Of course there is no use in me arguing about this since most states don't allow smoking in bars anymore.

EZMONEY
08-07-2010, 07:41 PM
... Having a non smoking bar and then having a smoking bar would be equivalent to having a whites only bar or blacks only bar.....

:yikes: ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?.....you didn't just say that....:(

:nono: Not even close...you must be very young....

19Deltawifey
08-07-2010, 10:08 PM
:yikes: ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?.....you didn't just say that....:(

:nono: Not even close...you must be very young....

I'm being serious, to say that only certain people (smokers or non smokers) are welcome makes me think of discrimination. I'm 26 years old but just because you are OLDER that doesn't always equal wiser;)

ETA- maybe discrimination was the wrong word to use but in my opinion I don't think that system that you mentioned would work. Most young people that I know (especially those with young kids) who smoke, always smoke outside and never smell like smoke, and neither does there house or car. My older relatives smoke indoors no matter who is around so maybe this is a generation gap where older folks find it a hassle to change their habits and don't see anything wrong with smoking indoors. Maybe a smoking room should be a option at bars but to think that non smokers should just deal with it or not go there, I don't agree with that. But to each their own

Hyacinth
08-07-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm a former smoker (9 years ago!). I was initially against the ban in my state ... places that allow smoking are bars, and you're not exactly in a bar for health reasons anyway. But I have to admit I *love* breathing clean air everywhere I go (except dad's house). I also don't miss "bar boogers."

If making cigarettes illegal is an infringement on rights, it logically follows that all drugs should be legal then? I, for one, would enjoy smoking a legal joint.

I think the same can't be said for meat or dairy, because there is nutritional value to eating not-too-much of these products. I don't know that cigarettes have anything beneficial beyond stress relief.

bacilli
08-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Having a non smoking bar and then having a smoking bar would be equivalent to having a whites only bar or blacks only bar. I see this as dicrimination telling me not to go to a certain place.

Along that line of thinking, having non-smoking establishments is discriminatory against smokers. The bar we go to every few weeks allows smoking. If you aren't a smoker, don't go there - I choose to go there because they allow smoking and have fun karaoke on Saturdays :)

If making cigarettes illegal is an infringement on rights, it logically follows that all drugs should be legal then? I, for one, would enjoy smoking a legal joint.

I am all for making drugs legal and taxing the crap out of them. Just because heroin would be legal doesn't mean I would do it, and it would be a huge boost to the economy, not to mention it would be regulated so you wouldn't have as many people dying from too-pure doses. My point about the meat is everyone is opposed to something. The smell of meat, especially in large doses, makes me ill - so I avoid places that reek of meat. If you dislike the smell of cigarettes, don't go to a place that allows smoking. There are so few of them now, because of the smoking bans (which, again, I do not mind the smoking bans at all), but I still feel that making smoking illegal isn't the answer. If they make smoking illegal, what's next? Fast food? Alcohol? It seems to be easy for people to say oh, that's not good for you and I don't do it - so it should be illegal. What people don't consider is the long-term effects of the government taking away our rights. Because it wouldn't stop at smoking. My argument would be the same if this were a conversation about banning fast food - and I haven't eaten fast food in many years.

eroica27
08-08-2010, 11:01 AM
from ThickNPretty: I can understand why a non smoker would support the ban for sure. And I think it's ok to certain extent. What I don't understand is why we can't still have the smoking and non-smoking sections in restaraunts. I thought that was a rather good compromise...idk

When I was in Austin, one of the reasons folks for the smoking bans wanted to get rid of the smoking section in restaurants was , and this is from a direct quote, that she didn't like how non smokers would request to sit in the smoking section as a way of not sitting near a family with children (there was amost always less children in a smoking section).

19Deltawifey
08-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Along that line of thinking, having non-smoking establishments is discriminatory against smokers. The bar we go to every few weeks allows smoking. If you aren't a smoker, don't go there - I choose to go there because they allow smoking and have fun karaoke on Saturdays :)

I am all for making drugs legal and taxing the crap out of them. Just because heroin would be legal doesn't mean I would do it, and it would be a huge boost to the economy

Like I said earlier to each their own, I don't agree with it but who am I to impose my thoughts on you. Also you said that there are still bars that allow smoking and thats fine. But making DRUGS like heroin, crack, cocaine, meth, etc legal would not be a great way to stimulate the economy. If the only way to boost the economy is by helping people run their lives to the ground faster, then I don't want to be apart of that. Plus just imagine all the things that would pop up next we would have heroin bars/clubs/restaurants. Of course most of us adults could make informed decisions but what about kids? It would makes it a lot easier for kids to get a hold of these drugs. But marijuana I wouldn't care if that was made legal, I don't smoke pot but I don't think its dangerous like other drugs. But if pot stays illegal I wont care either it doesn't affect me.

love114
08-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Here (in BC, Canada) we don't allow smoking in restaurants (well any that I have been to) unless you want to sit outside on the patio. I think its great. Its your choice if you want to smoke and that's fine but I don't want that nasty smell and smoke near me while I'm eating thanks very much. The smoke really puts me in a bad fit of coughs, gives me severe headaches and makes my eyes hurt. People are also ask to smoke 10 ft away from doors now. I find that a good rule to. So now when I walk out of school onto campus, I'm not walking into a cloud of smoke, unlike before where students would smoke standing RIGHT in front of the door.
Smoking is such a bad habit, and I'm seeing younger and younger kids everyday picking up that habit. Its sad.

lizziep
08-09-2010, 02:27 PM
used to smoke a pack a day- quit for a long time- now still smoke occasionally when stressed or out drinking.... i'm in favor of the ban. first off, even when i was a pack a day smoker smoking inside was disgusting to me. i always went outside to smoke. if there were other people around- i walked up a ways, if i was at a bus stop, i'd make sure i was downwind so people didn't have to smell it, etc.
it's called common courtesy. most of the time the smell of the smoke does bother me, and i'm grateful to have the choice to avoid it.

RisenDestiny
08-10-2010, 01:55 PM
I like the smoke-ban in restaurants cuz its really not that nice eating while your neighbour smokes... I did smoke along time and Im so glad I quit it, it was feeling so good being smokefree, oh and I can walk steps without breathing like..well you know what Im talking about! :carrot:

I also understand smokers dont wanna move out for every cig but maybe that makes them smoke less and we all know that smoking costs TONS of money anyway..so you save money and walk more! (Every step counts :P)