General chatter - Have any of you ever been fired? :(

briters89
08-05-2010, 02:10 AM
I got a new job, moved 1000 miles away with my husband for it, and got fired on the 2nd day! I hated the job the 1st day. So I'm not all that upset, and I wasn't making nearly what a person with a college degree should. I did not deserve to be let go. Its just soooo upsetting! I'm a great worker... :(

astrophe
08-05-2010, 03:13 AM
Yep. I've been downsized. I wasn't terribly broken up over it since I wasn't esp. enjoying the stress and I wasn't the only one it happened to. Several people were let go.

I'm sure you are a great worker -- I hope you find something you like better! :hug:

GL!
A.

Rosinante
08-05-2010, 03:32 AM
Yup. When I began my 3-year curacy stint, it was a given that a full time post would be available.
6 months before the end of the 3 years, I was told that I was a fantastic all-rounder who could be employed in a wide variety of locations.
I was summoned to hear where I was to be offered - and the bp read through a folder of all the vacancies and explained why they wouldn't be suitable. Even got me to identify some of them for myself - too senior a post, wouldn't accept a woman etc.
I got so excited at the big build up as to where my place was to be. Then he closed the folder and said, that's it. We have nothing for you. Start answering ads in the paper.
Crushed doesn't begin to cover it!
However, 13 years on now, I would not have missed for the world the jobs that I did do - although you can hear it still rankles!

ThicknPretty
08-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Heck yes I have.

Once when I was in high school....but that was my fault and a stupid hostess job so I don't really think about it or feel that bad. I was young and stupid.

A couple of years ago, I was managing a restaraunt and one day, just out of the blue, they told me it wasn't working out and let me go. They literally would not give me any more reason than that. They hinted that they were considering not having a specific manager in that location and having a floating regional manager that would go from one restaraunt to another in the area, but a few weeks later, they had hired another manager for the one that I worked at. :( It felt awful. Especially considering that I was working in my very small hometown and everyone knew about it within hours of me getting fired. I remember just driving around and crying, not wanting to tell my family.

I still don't know what I did wrong, if anything and it's still kind of embarassing and hurtful, but hey, it's all part of the journey and I'm glad I don't work there now! I'm sorry dear, I'm sure there is something better right around the corner! :hug:

PapayaMule
08-05-2010, 07:43 AM
I kind of fired myself once. It was a not-terribly-important shop job. I hated it and my boss was a sleaze who was always making pervy comments to me.
We got in an argument about whether I was going to be allowed to go home on time and I accidentally told him to go and.... do something not very pleasant to himself :)

I'm not proud of it. I should have just taken a deep breath, sucked it up and later handed my notice in but I lost my cool in the moment and it came out before I had given myself time to think about it. I walked home shaking and in tears but really, he or the job wasn't worth it. It was a relief to leave!

goodforme
08-05-2010, 09:16 AM
I was fired from a job I had for 13 years. I had worked my way from peon up to top dog. The work was pretty stressful, and the pay sucked, but I stayed out of some sense of loyalty to this place.

They didn't feel any loyalty to me when they canned me.

It was humiliating and I still cringe and have bad memories every time I drive by there (I avoid it if at all possible) because I have all this guilt about it.

But, I was only out of work one month, then found this terrific job I have now (going on 4 years) with retirement, paid sick/vacation, etc. etc. The upside is I LOVE my job now, no dread.

Good luck, you'll find something that fits soon!:hug:

Wysteria
08-05-2010, 12:25 PM
I was fired from my last job because of 'poor performance' and a 'bad attitude'.

The job was an extremely busy one (meant for two people really, but, y'know, budget cuts) and I wasn't being trained properly, I had next to no support and when I commented on this, I was basically told to just shut up and get on with it. How dare I question the management! Oh, and fyi, my replacement has been signed off with stress for three months.

The lovely irony is, the guy who fired me was fired from his new job after less than three months. AND it made the national news because it was quite high-profile. I allowed myself a small gloat.

Anyway, I should be thanking them because them firing me spurred me into losing weight, generally bettering myself and landing a very nice little job that I recently got my first ever promotion in. So good things DO come out of being fired.

sarahyu
08-05-2010, 03:15 PM
That's sad that after 1000 mile move they fire you after only 1 day. You didn't even get a good chance. The first day is usually just filling out paper work and getting introduced around. Did they say what the problem was?

I think everyone has been fired or let go from a job at one time or another. I've lost 2 jobs-1 my own fault and deserved it when I was in high school-it was an ice cream parlor and my very first job and all of a sudden I became very popular and gave ice cream to my friends for free-who would have thought it was considered stealing. and even though I deserved it after a long heart to heart from the owner of the store, I was a long time getting over it. It taught me so much about honesty.

The other was a change in policy, they gave me 2 week severence pay and I was ok with it-still sad and crying but I got over it. I was still young and lived at home.

Good luck

briters89
08-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks everyone. Sarah, I didn't fill out ANY paperwork! I think she hired me to get my curriculum. I feel absolutely betrayed. I have never been fired. I know how to teach, and I am so hurt someone did this to me. They said "it wasn't working out" and I wasn't interacting with the children. I WAS, and the children acted better for me than the other teacher. I do have consequences when a child does something wrong (I got hit in the face, so I sat the child down and told him that was not ok) I really think they were using me... I'm so upset. But I did sen her a strongly, but professional, worded e-mail.

And since, I have put out tons of resumes, I have had 4 job interviews already! They all went GREAT! I have 2 tomorrow, 1 Saturday, 2 Monday, then 1 on Tuesday.

Wish me luck!!

sacha
08-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Wow, this woman had some sort of secret agenda. 1 day after knowing you moved 1000 miles for it?

Karma!

Good luck with your job interviews :hug:

I got fired from Tim Hortons at 16 but that doesn't really count.

briters89
08-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Brown: GOOD FOR YOU! I wanted to do this sooo bad with this job. But my husband and I are broker than broke. I am so stressed about paying bill. No clue how I'm gonna get them paid now. And I don't wanna tell my family. Even though it wasn't my fault, I'm humiliated. I told MY side, and my mom is looking at Craigslist for me. But my inlaws have no idea.

Thighs Be Gone
08-06-2010, 12:43 AM
I got fired once in high school. Honestly, I know I did NOTHING wrong. They just wanted to give the job to someone else.

CrystalZ10
08-06-2010, 02:30 AM
On a better note, 3 months ago I quit my most recent job of 5 years by saying "F*** this. I'm done." and walking out in the middle of a shift. I still feel so amazing about it. Everyone should do it at least once; lord knows we've probably all fantasized about it once or twice.
I freelance once in a while now while passively looking for something else in another field--28 and trying to figure out what I wanna be when I grow up. :p.

I've done that!! :carrot: It was scary, and I cried like the world was ending all the way home. I worked for them for 10 years. In my 9th year, I moved from NC to California to get married and I transferred.
I went from a top notch, push button lab to one that was from the stone age! I had to drive 30 minutes from home to work and on my way in, they would call and tell me they were cutting hours and not to come in for another 2 hours! :mad:
The final straw was an undeserved review and pay cut, with a snarky comment "We are all lucky to even have a job right now."
I locked myself in the bathroom and cried and called my husband. He told me to quit and I did.
I am now working at a kids clothing store and have gotten a promotion to supervisor and than to assistant manager. :D I'd say I have landed on my feet just fine!
I hope you land a awseome job soon!!:hug:
But my husband and I are broker than broke. I am so stressed about paying bill. No clue how I'm gonna get them paid now.
You'll be amazed at how the bills managed to get paid even when there is less money coming in. My husband and I had to tighten our belts for 6 months before I found work. Made and stuck to a shopping list budget. Cut spending for stuff like movies and gave up snacks which helped with weight loss. :) I had a 401k that I rolled over into an IRA. There was $7 grand and it lasted 6 months. Just as the money ran out, I found work. You'll find something soon, I just know it!!

Windchime
08-06-2010, 10:07 AM
I wasn't fired, but I also walked out of a job once in the middle of my shift. I was working in a mens' clothing store for a pompous jerk who had a handlebar moustache and answered the phone, "Good afternoon, <store name>, this is Thomas E Dilly." (Not his real name, but close enough). Anyway, he was a jerk and one day he lectured me and told me that I need to give him the respect that was his due. So after lunch I came in and told him I was done, I quit. Turned in my badge and walked out. Here's your respect, Mr. Dilly! LOL

I don't recommend it in this current tight economy, but it felt good at the time.

lolcat
08-06-2010, 10:23 AM
I've been downsized a few times and lost my job to closings, but I've only been fired once.... I was propositioned by the owner of the place where I worked when I was 19. When I told him no, he told me that I needed "to come sit in my car when you get off work, give me a kiss and THINK about it". Needless to say, I avoided him. Three days later I was fired.... because I was "not productive enough". The jerks actually tried to fight my unemployment, sent a manager to the hearing and everything, but of course they couldn't refute the proof I had that I worked hard, and I won. I was too young to know that I had a lawsuit in my hands.

saef
08-06-2010, 12:00 PM
I was fired for a while pretty routinely. This happened years ago, back when I worked in law firms. I'd left college just 15 credits shy of earning a bachelor's degree in English, and found myself in a netherworld, where the only thing I seemed to be qualified for was clerical work, because I could type quickly & I sounded pleasant, professional & formal on the telephone. Also, for some reason I didn't have the really broad Upstate NY accent that a lot of my peers had. (No nasal, drawn-out "a" sounds.) The best-paying work at that time & place was in large corporate law firms.

So this was how it worked. The law firm would love me when I interviewed. They would give me usually to an older partner, and I would also relieve the receptionist during her lunch hour & time off. (Because of the phone voice. Also, at that time, I had really great clothes.) But I'd never quite fit in with The Girls in the rest of the office. See, I was snooty because of my education. I read the NY Times Book Review during lunch hour. I went off during lunch hour to get the new novel, "Beloved," signed by Toni Morrison, who was visiting our city at the college I'd failed to graduate from. I read all the Shelby Foote books about the Civil War, just before the series came out on PBS. So I was perceived (rightly) as having an attitude of being too good for the job. This would be permitted to go on for a while, but as soon as I appeared distracted or unhappy, and made a slight slip-up, BAM! they would take advantage of the opportunity & fire me.

Then, weirdly enough, I would be hired a few weeks later by an even posher law firm, and be paid more than the previous job. (This did nothing to teach me humility, BTW.)

How many times did this happen, you ask? Let's see.

Once, from my first job after college. I'd been there six years, and had gotten achievement awards. They were little brass plates on fake walnut plaques. In fact, I got one shortly before being fired. "Plaqued, then sacked," is how I described that episode.

On my second job, they were going to fire me, but I sensed what was going on, and jumped ship, to the largest, poshest corporate law firm in the city.

They kept me maybe four years, and fired me. Which I deserved. I was half-crazy from my eating disorder, and also, I'd been engaged in a rather intense flirtation with a lawyer there, which ended in the debacle of afternoon sex, and left me sad & moping in the hallways. (During that time, I listened to U2's "One" over & over while lying on the floor of my apartment.) Thank goodness that got me away from his proximity.

The next firm kept me for, let's see, I think maybe two years. I had a therapist by then, who helped me straighten out my life. I re-enrolled in college. I wrote papers due for my degree. I took an evening course. The law firm perceived me as too involved with earning my degree, rather than my day-to-day work, so they fired me.

At the next firm, I'd already earned my degree, and was writing freelance articles for the local newspaper. That took up my time & attention. I couldn't wait to get off work & get to my computer to write & interview people. The law firm job, well, I showed up because I wanted to be paid & I wanted healthcare (for all that ongoing therapy). The partner whom I'd been hired to support jumped ship to start his own firm. But he didn't take me; he took his old secretary, the one who'd refused to work for him anymore, and whom I'd been hired to replace. So I felt my job becoming tenuous. I quit that one before I could be fired.

Then I temped for an unpleasant period of time, once in a law firm, until telling the temp agency, "No more law. Please." I was somewhat notorious in the local legal profession at that point, so I think that was a good decision.

When I landed a job as a newspaper reporter, life turned much more pleasant. Since I was no longer arriving at work with simmering resentment & a feeling of not belonging, I suddenly belonged.

But anyway, that's now a colorful period of my life, in retrospect, and the only comfort I can offer you is that it may become like that for you one day, too. Just one story out of years of a long, productive work life.

[I wanted to write that I've never been fired since that last lawfirm firing ... but in this economic climate, I don't want to tempt the devil. Also I had a fairly lukewarm midyear review earlier this week. So I don't want to write anything on the Internet that could bring a lightning bolt down on my head.]

briters89
08-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Brown: My mom is a wonderful woman, and has sent me links to every job that she knows I deserve. I've been doing it also (have sent my resume to 80+ companies. Have had 6 interviews in 2 days)

Saef: You have had an interesting work history! I have graduated with my BA, and rather than feeling better than everyone else, I feel stupider. I want my masters. I want to be the most educated, and be the boss;. :) Although, I'm only 21, graduated college in 3 years. I'm doing pretty well.

On the plus side, I tihnk I landed a job today. I had interviews with one company, at both of their sites. First I had it with site A, then site B. I went in to site A for a working interview and to turn in my transcripts, and she said "oooooh, brittany, site B reeeally wants you, and you will be paid more, so would you mind going over there..." then I went there, and she said "I will get in touch with you shortly" UGH! I hate not having a job. I reeeeally hope she calls today. I can't go into the weekend being unemployed.

EZMONEY
08-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Brown: My mom is a wonderful woman, and has sent me links to every job that she knows I deserve......

THAT!! :)

CrystalZ10
08-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Just curious, how did you end up with money if you did a rollover? The tax penalties on taking money out early are insane.

I had about $11,000 in there.It was free to roll the 401k into an IRA after leaving your work place. Than you can draw out amounts without a penalty. They just let you take out the taxes and I took out a bit more so I wouldn't have to pay a fine during tax time. :D

gonnadoitthistime
08-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Lord yes, sometimes places fire people to bring in lower paid new people, sometimes there are agendas higher up, sometimes co workers and supervisors have friends they want in the job, sometimes people get fired because the person directly above them are afraid the person fired appears more competent and is a threat. I have been fired for not wanting to be friends with the owner of the store, calling in sick (first time in a year), and let go from a temp position that was supposed to go to full time permanent because I was severely distracted by the crazy new supervisor (who kept telling the most horrific stories of her being abused, and raped, and well there were too many for them to be real), all while I was trying to input data. Life goes on, one door closes and all..... Oh, and got fired from a stupid bowling alley job because I was blond (didn't find out til later, the manager (who was also fired along with myself and three other people) was caught having sex in the building with a "blond") and they thought it was me! Was actually a butt kisser who kept her job, and her mouth shut and never owned up to her being the "one".