South Beach Diet - Chia Chat

View Full Version : Chia Chat

WaistingTime
08-03-2010, 09:10 AM
I'd love to know more about chia. How do you use it? Where do you get it? Nutritional info? Anything you can think to share, I am sure others would love to learn more too. Thanks.

CyndiM
08-03-2010, 09:19 AM
When I was researching chia it took awhile to find sources that weren't selling something. Here are a few:

Andrew Weil (http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA365093/Chia-for-Health.html)

Living and Raw Foods (http://www.living-foods.com/articles/chia.html)

Chia and diabetes (http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/17/17801/chia-seeds/)

Nutrition Data (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3061/2)

one more with some recipes (http://www.rawreform.com/content/view/345/127/)

I've been using them every day for the last week and a half. It's too early to know about other health benefits but they definitely help me stay full longer. I have 1 ounce with breakfast, either chia pudding or in my smoothie, and I stay full until lunch time. This is a near miracle for me because I am a serious morning eater (10 am snack and usually starving by 11:30). I've been sipping chia fresca all afternoon with equally good results. My energy level has seemed to stay higher longer but I want more time before I call that a chia benefit. Also , umm , my system seems to be working optimally if ya know what I mean.

I'm most interested in the long term benefits of the omega 3s and ALAs but so far am impressed enough with the short term benefits to stick with it. In fact I just received an order for 3 lbs :)

cottagebythesea
08-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Karen, check your larger grocery stores or health food stores. Several grocery chains in my area carry them, and the prices vary. I like the Spectrum brand. :)

I've been adding a heaping TBSP to a 32oz. bottle of SF pink lemonade that I sip from all day, and it really does keep me feeling full. I've been stirring some into my yogurt, too.

zeffryn
08-03-2010, 10:36 AM
I agree that it helps me feel full longer. I drink it in the afternoon in a large glass of iced, herbal tea and it helps keep the "noshies" at bay. I also drink it in a large glass of crystal light directly after dinner and it hits that sweet tooth and keeps the snacking monster away.

LindsaysMommy
08-03-2010, 10:43 AM
I am a little confused, is this considered SB friendly? Is a fiber supplement also?

CyndiM
08-03-2010, 12:03 PM
I just ordered three lbs from Amazon. Our Co-op sells it in bulk but this was easier and cheaper.

Yes, seeds are South Beach friendly. The links have more information about possible benefits including amount of fiber (there's lots).

Fat Melanie
08-03-2010, 04:26 PM
I still haven't found these, but tomorrow I'll be going to Walmart to grocery shop and I think I'll swing by Harris Teeter on the way. Harris Teeter has a lot of things I don't normally see in other stores. I want to try them out really badly. They sound wonderful.

Question, since they're seeds are they supposed to be limited? Or what would be a daily amount we could have?

honeysox
08-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the info, guys! I'm going chia hunting soon. : )

~~Sally

WaistingTime
08-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks chicks! I am going to try it. I think my DH will want to as well once he reads some of the purported benefits.

femmecreole
08-03-2010, 07:45 PM
I was at school all day so getting in last on this.

The cheapest I've found them is at Amazon. I got a 5lb bag. Wholefoods has them, but they are more expensive.

I think they are wonderful. I got my daughter hooked on them too.
I just sip all day. You can also add them to foods since they have no taste....great in dressings. But I just like the way they do in drinks.

Today was crazy. I had a meeting in a town 30 minutes from here at the school board office this morning. Then I decided to go ahead and go work on my classroom some more and didn't pack anything ahead of time cause I thought I was coming home. I had a huge green smoothie about 6:30 this morning, then nothing but tea with chia seeds in it at school. I finally stopped around 2:00 realizing I had not eaten since that smoothie..
those chias kept me happy till I finally ate at 2:30. I keep some in a plastic container in my purse and won't ever be without them. Not only do they fill you up, but have so many health benefits...just the protein alone is great.

Oh and Mel....I just love Harris Teeter. My sister has one in NC and I just drool in that store. My brother in law went to a super HT once and called it the "Taj Ma Teeter". Lucky you!!!! I have to drive to either New Orleans or Baton Rouge to Whole Foods to get special stuff.

I've spent practically my whole summer researching foods and chia was one of the first I got turned on to.
I'm trying to get as much "raw" as I can without giving up my beloved seafood. Raw foods research is really interesting and I've learned so much about so many new things I've never heard of. SB kind of put me on the trail to even do more.

TwynnB
08-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Many of you had said they're tasteless, but one of those links talks about a slightly nutty flavor, and great taste. Any comments on that?

I might have to stop at the local whole foods place and check them out!

cottagebythesea
08-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Twynn, I think they pick up the flavor of whatever you add them to, but on their own, they're tasteless.

CyndiM
08-04-2010, 08:09 AM
I haven't noticed any taste even in the chia pudding. Once the seeds expand any hint of nuttiness seems to disappear.

litar
08-04-2010, 08:16 AM
I was looking on Amazon and wondering do you buy the seeds or powder? I noticed that a lot of you are adding this to tea, pudding, etc do you add the whole seeds or are you buying powder or grinding them up?

CyndiM
08-04-2010, 08:39 AM
I'm using seeds. As soon as you add them to liquid they get soft and gelatinous. I am curious about the powder and might try some when baking season rolls around again.

sarahyu
08-05-2010, 05:35 PM
I've found them at Shoppers food warehouse in the hispanic spice section. I can get a 3 oz package for 0.99. I've seen it on line but to me it seems really expensive.
I like how they swell up in water.

AimeeO
08-05-2010, 06:03 PM
I have never heard of this stuff ever before reading this post. I am curious and will have to check it out online.

EmmaD
08-05-2010, 11:46 PM
thanks for the info, guys! I really hadn't heard about this anywhere else...

So I bought a bag the other night. I put 1 Tablespoon seeds in a glass of seltzer water with lime and my husband tried some. He made the most horrid face and said something like "that's weird!" But guess what? He's now addicted and is putting it in his water all day long.

This is totally fun -

sarahyu
08-06-2010, 09:31 AM
I heard about it on this site-some one was talking about Dr. Oz's belly fat burning shake or something like that. I had to ask if it was the same stuff as the chia pet and guess what-it is. The ones you eat are a special food grade instead.

zeffryn
08-06-2010, 10:15 AM
it kind of reminds me of the old soda from the 90's, Orbitz. Weird at first but oddly addicting :)

honeysox
08-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Chia found, chia bought, chia tried.

Chia loved!

Also, chia expensive. : (

AimeeO
08-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Cha-cha-cha-chia.....sounds too weird for me. Glad you guys all are liking it. I say whatever works for ya then do it!

TwynnB
08-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Bought my first bag!! Yeah, it's a wee bit expensive, but it seems like it'll last a while? I'm thinking I might buy some lemons tomorrow and make some lemon water with them!!

femmecreole
08-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Last night I put some in a little chocolate coconut milk and added a little vanilla...not bad...like choc. pudding.

Now for fun. I had a glob left over at the bottom of a glass the other day and instead of throwing it out, I threw it in a pot I have a tomato in outside. In 2 days it sprouted, so I tried it. Very good...has a peppery taste to it. Would be great in salads and on sandwiches. I think my stuck at the bottom ones will continue going outside. yum.

honeysox
08-08-2010, 01:48 AM
I told the husband I was going to rub some chia seeds on his head before it rained. He didn't think I was very funny. : )

I really wish they had another name. It's hard to get the "chia pet" image out of your head.

CyndiM
08-08-2010, 05:11 PM
I have that problem with the stupid song

Ursula745
08-08-2010, 06:01 PM
I use Anutra and I sprinkle it my smoothies and yogurt. I get it from Vitacost.

murphmitch
08-08-2010, 06:25 PM
I bought some today!

honeysox
08-08-2010, 06:26 PM
I just mixed some plain non-fat Greek yogurt with chia seeds, a teaspoon of cocoa, Splenda, and vanilla, and BOY was it good. I want more. Going now to check the limits for yogurt on PH1 . . . .

WaistingTime
08-08-2010, 07:02 PM
I tried some in my iced tea this afternoon and while they got a little gooey, most sank to the bottom of the glass. I had to keep stirring to drink them. My guess is this was like bubble tea. I need to maybe try them in food instead.

Do they dissolve more for any of you?

Ursula745
08-08-2010, 07:06 PM
No they don't dissolved. The only beverage I would use them in would be a thick smoothie. Nothing else.

honeysox
08-08-2010, 07:14 PM
I wonder--my bag says "chia seeds meal." I wonder if the brand I bought (actually grown locally) has been ground?

femmecreole
08-08-2010, 07:17 PM
No, the don't dissolve. A straw takes care of the bottom settling.

CyndiM
08-08-2010, 07:22 PM
I use one of my water bottles and just keep shaking between sips.

Ruthxxx
08-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I had it in my yogurt before Church this morning and we should floss thoroughly. I could feel the little seeds puffing up as they absorbed saliva!

I tried some in water later on and they did NOT dissolve, just got puffy. Maybe mine are too old - I've had them a while.

TwynnB
08-09-2010, 07:34 AM
LOL...I tried it in water last night (read somewhere later that it's 1/3 cup per 2 c. water??!!) with a lemon. We had friends over, and they laughed saying they looked like little tadpole eggs!

The taste/texture didn't bother me though, although I'm not sure I'll do it again. I think I'll stick to smoothies, etc.

murphmitch
08-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Had some in my Crystal Lite Lemonade & other than trying to slosh them back down after they stuck to the sides of my glass and using a straw to suck them up, they were great! Felt quite satisfied afterwords.

Fat Melanie
08-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Oh and Mel....I just love Harris Teeter. My sister has one in NC and I just drool in that store. My brother in law went to a super HT once and called it the "Taj Ma Teeter". Lucky you!!!! I have to drive to either New Orleans or Baton Rouge to Whole Foods to get special stuff.

Taj Ma Teeter, I love that!!!! lol!! :D

They have the most vast selections of things I've never tried before.. it's awesome! I haven't been there yet like I wanted to, to find the seeds, but soon I hope to make a visit there and see if they have any. Maybe I'll find another cool discovery in there too.

Mmckellen
08-11-2010, 07:22 AM
I tried the chia last night and really liked it, but I like bubble tea and things with textures like that. I just had it in some "sassy water" and felt very healthy. This morning things "moved" very well event though I hadn't taken my usual psyllium last night, so I'm imagining chia performs the same function. I'll continue to use it, I really liked it, and maybe I'll get my husband to try it out.

rdw1
08-17-2010, 06:54 PM
So, I have been wanting to try these for a while but didn't want to pay 20 bucks at WF and everywhere I found online had decent prices but the shipping ended up doubling it...

I found some on Amazon Nutiva Organic Chia seed 14oz for 7.95 and free shipping... Just in case any of you were in the same boat as me :)

zeffryn
08-17-2010, 08:31 PM
i've been mixing them with iced tea or lemon water every afternoon. refreshing and very hydrating! they keep me satisfied until dinner and cures that need to snack come 3:00

CyndiM
08-17-2010, 08:51 PM
I found some on Amazon Nutiva Organic Chia seed 14oz for 7.95 and free shipping... Just in case any of you were in the same boat as me :)

Eek, I got the same brand 3 lb bag for $18.95 just a few weeks ago but it's out of stock now. It was from an Amazon seller but with free shipping. We are definitely going through our bag so I hope they have it again at that price. I can get it at the Co-op for $8/lb which may end up being the best price.

rdw1
08-20-2010, 08:52 PM
I just got my chia in and LOVE it! Won't be able to comment on the hunger thing for a bit because I am about to eat dinner, but I just had to try the chia as soon as I got it!

Mine sank too- just stirred it before each sip with a straw, had mine in lemon water! I really like it! Although, I don't have a texture problem with much other than lima beans and peas... :)

And Cyndi- I have the same problem... cha cha cha chia!

Lexxiss
09-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Sometimes I'm a little slow, so I just tried this today. 1 T in 1/2 c FF plain yogurt. I love it, too! I swear it really does satisfy me better than just the yogurt alone! I was suprised-my little health food store had it right alongside the flax seeds/oils.

CyndiM
09-16-2010, 07:28 PM
I had pumpkin pudding for breakfast today - Greek yogurt, homemade pumpkin butter and chia. I mix it up the night before so it's super thick. One serving was actually breakfast and a morning snack.

EmmaD
09-16-2010, 08:02 PM
I had pumpkin pudding for breakfast today - Greek yogurt, homemade pumpkin butter and chia. I mix it up the night before so it's super thick. One serving was actually breakfast and a morning snack.

YUM! I am going to have to branch out with chia concoctions. I have only done liquids so far, but I've put them in plain water, sparkling water, tea, etc.
Your pudding sounds delicious!

Heidi58
09-18-2010, 07:59 AM
My new favorite way to use chia seeds is in my yogurt and raspberries.

I am a weirdo about texture and though the chia seeds have a pleasant enough texture it doesn't belong in my beverages. :lol: It's a nice addition to my yogurt though.

Ruthxxx
09-18-2010, 08:26 AM
I'm with you, Heidi. I just can't hack the chia "water" but do put it in my yogurt, fruit and Fiber 1.

p.a.
09-18-2010, 06:08 PM
I just found some chia seeds at walmart here.......tried them and really like them..in plain water and yogurt so far!

WaistingTime
12-29-2010, 10:45 PM
bump

CyndiM
12-29-2010, 10:56 PM
thanks Karen :)

I've added chia powder to my repertoire. It's great when I want the fiber and other goodies without the gel. I use it the same places I've used flax meal. It makes a nice gluten free pancake.

GiggleGoddess
12-30-2010, 12:50 AM
I just found some chia seeds at walmart here.......tried them and really like them..in plain water and yogurt so far!

What section/isle in Walmart did you find them?

Bellissa
12-30-2010, 02:15 AM
This is quite a hot topic! I absolutely LOVE Dr.Oz. He's so awesome and inspiring. I usually tend to research things with the availability of the wonderful world wide web and being pessimistic most times on anything involving wonderful health benefits (I figure there's always some catch, or someone is in it for the money) and I came up with this:

"Side Effects of Chia Seeds

Chia seeds are recommended for alternative treatment of cancer. It boosts your energy level and provides essential nutrients in your body which help in cancer treatments. Chia seeds are good but at the same time there are some side effects of these seeds. It can lower the blood pressure in your body, especially, if you are someone in upper age group, be careful as Chia seeds are capable of lowering the pressure of the blood to the dangerous level. This seed is a great source of vitamin B-17. If you are from a regimen of B-17, then you should be cautious before taking the seeds. You may overload your body system with phytonutrients. If you have reactions when you eat Chia seeds or any product which contains Chia seeds, then you must avoid Chia seeds completely. People who are suffering with heart problems must avoid these seeds as it has addictive effects on its users. People who take blood thinners like warfarin should exclude this from their diet as Chia seeds increases the risk for bleeding. It may be allergic and the reason behind this is that it is the member of the salvia genus. Overdose of Chia should be avoided as it can be harmful for you."
Source: http://www.chiaseeds.us/chia-seeds-side-effects.htm

Aside from the spelling error of saliva and the informality of the drug Warfarin (no capital 'W') the article seems to have some valid arguments about the health issues that consumption can cause. Here is another link for further concern: http://www.livestrong.com/article/155988-negative-health-effects-of-chia-seeds/ I just think this seed sounds too good to be true. I'm very skeptical, however, I am very intrigued. If someone would please have me leaning more toward the buy it and eat it side because it's benefits are way worth overlooking the side effects, that would be great! My issue is I have normal to low blood pressure. Sometimes I am 90/60 most of the time 112/70.

Please help with the confusion. I know no one is on here to prescribe things and to moderate my health as we are not physicians, but input would be much appreciated!

CyndiM
12-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Warfarin is a blood thinner with a very long list of forbidden drugs, foods, herbs and supplements. People using it have weekly blood tests to adjust their levels. Anything that causes any blood thinning (usually a good thing) is contraindicated for people on these drugs. Personally I wouldn't worry about a warning connected to this particular class of drugs unless I was using one.

A couple of personal notes. I don't think chia, or any "super food" for that matter, is magic. I try to think about everything I eat and consider a variety of factors. I added chia seeds for the omega 3s and the fiber. I do find that chia helps my breakfast stay with me longer and chia fresca is a great mid-afternoon pick me up. It fits into the big picture of my diet. I also happen to like chia pudding. It makes me happy and healthy foods that make me happy are always a good thing in my book.

It's always good to research something new. We do have to really sort on the internet because there is a whole lot of information out there presented by people with a product to sell or an axe to grind. Chia seeds do sound too good to be true on lots of websites, just like lots of other things (mangosteen and acai come to mind). It's always good to see people really making an effort to get good information before jumping into the latest (and usually most expensive) craze :)

ETA - Bellissa you probably know this already :) hope I didn't sound all lectury before coffee!

weezle
12-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Hmmm I wonder if it could lower my BP so I don't have to take drugs anymore! That would be fun.

So the verdict on the powder.... not all gelly-like, even in drinkies? Say my Crystal Light + 1 T. chia flour = Smooth Sailing?

I'm very intrigued. I saw them on Amazon (the one Rikki talked about) and am interested in snooping around some at Walmart and Vitacost.