Faith Based Support Groups - EMOTIONAL EATING: How to heal ...

View Full Version : EMOTIONAL EATING: How to heal ...

Justwant2Bhealthy
08-02-2010, 01:50 PM
* SPIRITUAL STRATEGIES TO HEAL EMOTIONAL EATING *

Some of you have mentioned that you want to try these strategies and wanted to bookmark them, so I decided to put them into a thread so you can go back and read them again & again, as I do often ...

When my emotions or the neggies plague me and tempt me to eat when I am not hungry -- I start singing praise songs out loud, and reciting praise Psalms like #145; and that takes it away every time. (TIP: the book of PSALMS is chocked full of positive verse and praise samples; and positive, inspirational QUOTES work well too)

Like GARY (EZMONEY) says, you cannot think two thoughts at once -- so you want to counteract the negative, emotional thoughts with positive, joyous ones. Try it, you'll be amazed how well it works ...

This is the strategy that I believe the LORD gave me to deal with emotional issues in my life, so that I can be truly free to soar like an eagle ... I know my emotions were leading me to eat things that weren't good for me.

Now I have learned this was the strategy of YKW to keep me from succeeding and thinking badly of myself, I have found new tools and strategies of my own -- like singing, praise, reciting scriptures, reading Psalms & other positive verses, memorizing positive verse, writing songs & poems, and journalling.

HE WHO SINGS ... frightens away his ills! ~ Cervantes ~

Here is a song that means a lot to me about this subject; and it is fast becoming a mantra song for me -- It is called "BEAUTIFUL" and sung by Mercyme. I want you to listen to it until you believe it. Enjoy ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C2o0jHNRuU

I think this was a huge breakthrough for me. I did a study on the value of PRAISE and found that this was a gift to us from GOD, to be used as a tool to comfort us, to teach us, to heal us, and to help us in our daily walk with Him. GOD didn't ask us to praise Him becuz He's conceited, or just becuz we know that He deserves it; but becuz we need it to bless our lives.

As I was sharing in another thread -- I had lots of emotional issues to deal with while trying to heal my eating issues; actually, it was my emotional issues that led me to eat incorrectly in the first place (plus social conditioning and a lack of knowledge too).

Now I know how unhealthy some foods are for MY body (ie sugar, salt, and simple starches), I can mindfully, make better choices. The only clincher for me was the emotional factor, which is what I am working on right now.

Here are my personal issues -- 1) emotional upset from the past & present 2) hurt feelings 3) being embarrassed or made fun of 4) being criticized by others 5) feeling unloved & unappreciated & perceptions of same 6) feeling judged; and 7) boredom.

I have been very transparent here -- but I think if we are honest, these are truly the things that we need addressed on top of those that are related to "societal conditioning" and "knowledge". We need to re-learn how to eat healthy again (forgoing the junkies & fast foods); and we now have the knowledge we need to do that (eating healthy foods in the right portions, plus getting regular exercise and a good night sleep).

BUT, we need healing -- we need prayer first; then we need loving; being accepted; good teaching; good tools (like these strategies); practical help (like this site); and support by loving, caring people who have that special gift.

Sooo ... these are my list of new spiritual strategies to deal with the emotional issues listed above -- PRAISE, FORGIVENESS, HEALING, LOVE, PRAYER, GRACE, and CHARITY (serving others). (***see explanations further down this post***)

Whenever I was upset about something or with someone, I would invariably find myself wandering to the kitchen or to the fridge to eat something. So, I prayed about this a lot -- what could I do to heal those hurts instead of eating to console myself? (BTW, I really believe that we may have been conditioned to use food for consolation when we were young.)

Over time, I really believe the LORD showed me these strategies, and I started practicing them. It does take some practice, but after a short while, it starts to become second-nature; and the Holy Spirit will automatically bring them to your mind and thoughts. It's like the memory verses -- whenever you need them, the Holy Spirit brings them to mind.

I was reading how JESUS answered every temptation with scripture. That gave me another idea. If JESUS used scripture verse to combat temptation, then so should we. Remember, the first temptation involved food; so He really knows how we feel -- see also, Hebrews 2:18 & 4:15.

I memorize short positive verses which makes it easier, saying the book, chapter & verse numbers before & after the scripture. If you have any difficulty memorizing short joyful scriptures, just read them right from the Word. The last several chapters of Psalms have great PRAISE verses that you can recite; sometimes I even sing them to myself and GOD, of course.

JESUS, the disciple Paul, and King Solomon -- were actually great early psychologists ~ all suggesting that we use good thoughts and words as tools to overcome our challenges in this life.

PHILIPPIANS 4:8 ~ "Whatsoever things are TRUE; whatsoever things are HONEST; whatsoever things are JUST; whatsoever things are PURE; whatsoever things are LOVELY; whatsoever things are OF GOOD REPORT; if there be any VIRTUE; and if there be any PRAISE, think on these things."

PROVERBS 23:7 ~ "... for as he thinks in his heart, so is he ..."

EPHESIANS 4:23/24 ~ "Be renewed in the spirit of your mind, putting on new attitudes of righteousness and holiness."

ROMANS 12:2 ~ "Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind."

Here is a brief explanation of these strategies --

FORGIVENESS ~ is an amazing healing tool. This one is a choice; and it will help you heal your hurts (esp from others). You kinda "fake it until you feel it" -- the important thing is to make the choice to forgive; you don't have to feel it. I just say out loud -- I choose to forgive so and so; and then ask GOD to forgive them too.

How many times do we forgive? JESUS said, "seventy times seven" or, many times (Matthew 18:22). How many times will we need forgiving in our lives? Unlimited times, I'm sure. There will be many times that we have disagreements with our spouses, children, family, neighbors, co-workers, friends, or others, that stir up our emotions; and we need the tool of forgiveness in order to heal the relationship and move on.

How do we get over these situations unless we forgive and let go of them? "Don't let the sun go down on your anger" is wise advice (Ephesians 4:26). Forgiveness can heal the emotions of hurt, anger, sadness, and sorrow ... yes, we can even forgive that: forgive the loved one who left us; forgive GOD; forgive life for hurting us; forgive ourselves for feeling hurt, sad, angry, or even guilty for remaining alive and well.

JESUS showed us the greatest example of forgiveness by dying on the cross to forgive all mankind, for all sin, for all time. GOD showed us by forgiving us first (see Isaiah 44:22 & Isaiah 103:12 & Hebrews 10:16/17).

EDIT TO ADD: I recently read a story about a woman who was the victim of an atrocity: she was gang-raped while volunteering in an underdeveloped country. She was asked if & how she had managed to heal that hurt; and she said "Yes, by CHOOSING TO FORGIVE her attackers". She went on to explain that she chose to forgive them becuz of their human weaknesses: that is, their ignorance & lack of civility. She said that she didn't forgive the act or the crime they committed; for that was a fact, but she realized that she must forgive the person(s) who committed the act/crime/hurt, so that she could heal.

And, I just read another story that said that those who hurt us go on with their lives, not realizing how their words and/or actions affected us and those in our lives (ie our families). So in order to heal, we need to choose to forgive, to take the power to hurt us away from them.

This is why FORGIVENESS is so important; so that we can heal and move on with our lives to accomplish what good GOD has planned for us; and so that others can be free to be forgiven or freed from the burden of guilt/blame and moreover, be free to repent & change. For GOD wants us all to be saved ...

PRAYER ~ BUT, I don't stop there ... I also ask Him to "BLESS THEM" (JESUS said this remember?) I PRAY that the LORD will bless that person who hurt me in whatever way they need, so that they won't feel the need to do that anymore -- ie if they are tired, to give them rest; if they are worried, give them peace; if they are envious, fill their needs abundantly; if they are sick, help them get well; if they are sad, bring them joy again; if they are hurt, help them heal; and so forth.

Also pray for yourself and/or ask for prayer for strength, peace, calm, patience, or whatever you need to cope with the situation you are dealing with at the time.

* See the note about THE LORD'S PRAYER under the PRAISE section below for more *

LOVE ~ then after forgiving that person, I am nice to them anyways; that's the LOVE that JESUS commanded us to have for others. We need to realize that HURT PEOPLE -- HURT PEOPLE ... meaning people often hurt people becuz they are hurting in some way themselves. This doesn't excuse them by any means, it just helps us understand why they are doing it.

You know, GOD loves us; and JESUS loves us, so why don't we love ourselves? JOHN 16:27 ~ "For the Father himself LOVETH YOU ..." JOHN 15:9 ~ "As the Father hath loved me, SO I HAVE LOVED YOU: continue ye in my love." (Jesus)

You know, the more I read, the more I am convinced that some people are overweight simply becuz -- THEY DON'T LOVE THEMSELVES!!! Self-hatred, self-loathing, self-flagellation, self-abasement, self-criticism, self-denial, and extreme selflessness all contribute to using food as a weapon against oneself instead of as fuel to nourish and heal the body. If you truly love yourself and your body, you will want to take good care of it.

Quote: "AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT ACCEPT AND LOVE YOUR BODY (and yourself), IT WILL RESIST YOUR DESIRE TO HAVE IT BE DIFFERENT. Practice liking your body as it is, because that is the only mind-set from which you can change it." (Dr.Andrew Weil, M.D.)

We also have to re-learn how to LOVE OURSELVES too. One way is to be nice to ourselves, including how we talk to and about ourselves; and by doing caring things for ourselves -- taking time for ourselves, pampering ourselves, engaging in activities and socializing with people that bring joy and love into our lives.

We learn to forgive ourselves (Roman 8:1) by claiming the GRACE that the LORD earned for us and gave us as a gift; then we can start loving ourselves again. When we kick-start the healing process -- by loving ourselves, we will just naturally start taking better care of ourselves too.

We don't always get loved in this life the way we need to or should; so sometimes we have to take steps to love ourselves, and to bring more love into our lives in some other way, ie find more loving friends; or better yet, get a puppy! :lol:

GRACE ~ This is also helping me with anxiety and trust issues as well; the praise helps me to keep my focus on GOD, and on JESUS when I need peace and calm (like when we are sick, for instance). I also practice forgiving myself and remind myself that I am now under GRACE and this gives me peace and hope. When I have hope and peace -- my joy abounds, so that healing can take place too.

"There is therefore now NO CONDEMNATION for those who are in Christ Jesus ..." Roman 8:1

What does this mean? You are forgiven, already! For everything -- in your past, present, and future ... that is true Grace! You are now living under a special kind of Grace, so you are free to be all that you can be. All you have to do is believe it; claim it; and live it ... :)

PRAISE ~ incorporates thankfulness and gratefulness, all in one. It shows GOD that you appreciate all that He has done for you in your life. When we thank Him and praise Him, it lifts OUR spirits and fills US with JOY! WOW, we praise GOD and WE get JOY! :D

PRAISE IS THE SONG OF A SOUL SET FREE!

Did you know that there are more than 800 glad verses in the Bible? That is -- positive, uplifting scriptures that we can meditate on; more than enough for every day for over two years ... :) *** NOTE: See Post #13 for examples of PRAISE VERSES from the bible ...

THE LORD'S PRAYER can be very helpful to us as a strategy to heal our emotional eating. This is how JESUS taught us to pray.

Did you ever notice that it starts and ends with PRAISING GOD (in Matthew 6/KJV)?

Plus, we give Him PERMISSION ~ we ask that HIS will be done in our lives -- what is good & right & best for us, in every way.

PROVISION ~ after that, we ask GOD to provide for our needs: our daily bread (our food).

PARDON ~ Then we ask Him to forgive us for our debts, as we (choose to) forgive (or pardon) others as well.

PROTECTION ~ Then we ask HIM to keep us from temptation (food is one); and deliver us from all evil (and that includes negative thought).

Then, we PRAISE HIM again; ending the prayer on a positive note! I say this prayer every morning; it's a great way to start the day ... :D

THE LORD's PRAYER is also a good strategy tool to use whenever you are tempted (say, to eat when you are not really hungry); or feeling oppressed by "any kind" of negativity or stress (including sadness, grief, anger, etc).

BTW, while some people have to relearn how to listen for hunger signals -- many others (like myself) have to learn how to IGNORE hunger signals that won't turn off! That is where the prayer about "temptation" is so helpful. Ask the LORD to "quiet" those false hunger signals. I believe this is your body trying to fool you into eating, when you KNOW that you have eaten sufficiently for the day.

TIP: After praying about this, you can try some practical tricks like drinking black currant or other herbal teas; green or black tea with milk or lemon; plain water, flavored or sweet water, and this will help the urge to pass. Some people may have a glass of milk and/or coffee with cream works well too. This fools the body into thinking that it had something to eat ... ;)

HEALING ~ I also pray for healing from any hurts from my past and/or present, so that I may be free from that bondage (no sadness, bitterness, resentment, or residue anger). This frees us and others to be at peace.

How to heal the past? We must let it go ... first pray, then forgive, then let it go. Paul said, "This one thing I do, leaving the past behind, and looking forward to what is ahead" (Phil 3:13). Live for today ...

"YESTERDAY ENDED LAST NIGHT, SO LET IT GO!!!"

Now, it may take some time to go through all the hurts, and those who have hurt you in your past; as some people have suffered through all kinds of abuses in their childhood that need healing.

Some people come from dysfunctional homes where they didn't receive the love and care one needs to be emotionally well; and, some people may be in relationships now that are nothing less than toxic -- not healthy at all, so they may have to make the choice to separate themselves from them, or get some counseling.

Regarding stressful situations and people ~ there are some practical solutions that you can use to heal stress. We can't always avoid stress, BUT if you can, maybe you should for awhile to help you heal (ie take a break or a vacation; or make new friends).

When you can't, you have to find other ways to heal -- getting away to a quiet place (JESUS did this often: going to the sea, or up a mountainside, or to a garden to pray). Meditating on scriptures and positive things; and listening to soothing music is very helpful too. We are encouraged to recite psalms; and sing hymns and other songs for a good reason -- they are great healing tools.

The point is -- to find ways to heal; and find solutions to your problems that do not involve food. This calls us to be very creative!

"DISTRACTION IS AS GOOD AS A CURE" ... they say.

Lots of people on this site have tips on practical strategies they use to avoid or distract them from food -- going for a walk or a drive; visiting family or friends; talking on the phone; reading or watching tv; coming on the net and to this site; volunteering; exercising or going to a gym; enjoying sports & clubs; hobbies and crafts, etc. All of these things can help distract you until the temptation to eat goes away ~ essentially, you are just keeping very busy.

CHARITY ~ there is nothing better than serving others to heal us and get our minds on something outside ourselves so that we can heal. It is a kind of distraction that has many benefits for us and others. We not only help others, but we will earn rewards for ourselves (like rebuilding our personal confidence and satisfaction in accomplishing things); and don't forget that GOD notices every good thing that we do for others too!

For instance, to heal my boredom issue (among many other things), I am now crocheting charity blankets; it keeps my hands busy; and I am giving to and serving others as I am healing.

QUOTE: "When we care for others, our burdens are lifted. When we have joy serving others, and helping others -- we can forget our circumstances: having hope and sharing hope at the same time."

Our emotions do lead us to eat when we are not hungry; we try to soothe our sadness and sometimes anger, with food. Of course, this just makes things worse, not better; but what did the LORD say? Pray for those that hurt us and also pray for ourselves (and each other). Pray that GOD will deal with that person and/or situation, so that you can be free of it and heal right in the moment.

Right after that, I start PRAISING again, which brings back my Joy; then I turn around, and go do something else! :)

IMPORTANT NOTE: we need to incorporate these spiritual strategies on an ongoing basis to make sure we don't slip back into old habits, simply becuz healing takes time ... we didn't get this way overnight, so we must practice patience to let the Holy Spirit do his work so that we can be fully and truly healed.

We have to "practice patience" while we "practice kindness" and "practice loving ourselves" ... becuz somewhere along the way we didn't get these things OR we are not getting what we need now. That's right, what we NEED ... we all need love and GOD IS LOVE -- so we need HIM in our lives, so that HE can heal us and bless us richly.

I think some of us have been hurt more in this life than others -- we have been through some very tough times. Some people are more sensitive than others; and some people are more resilient than others too. Some people have led kinda charmed lives so far, but they may have more challenges later in life. I know I have been through a lot in my life, esp early on; so I needed a lot of healing now.

If you go to a counselor, what do they do? First, they commiserate with you -- they empathize with your plight -- maybe even helping you to understand your situation more clearly; then they may make some suggestions how you might change your thought patterns so that you can heal; and lastly, they help you find strategies to make practical improvements in your life that will help you succeed with your goals; BUT it is up to you, to carry them through ... :)

I have been learning this stuff over the last 5 years, and all during that time, I have lost weight and have NOT gained it back this time. So to me, that is a great success in and of itself -- and I hope to continue with these positive strategies until I reach my healthy goal and beyond ... for this is a lifelong journey.

I would be thrilled if these strategies help anyone; so, feel free to use them, by all means ... Rosebud :hug:

*PS ~ continue to follow this thread as I have posted more practical tips & helpful strategies further on ...

ronni62
08-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Thank you, Rosebud-we are so blessed to have you in our group:hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
08-02-2010, 05:06 PM
:hug: THANKS, RONNIE ~ that's so nice of you to say that! See, you are helping me to feel appreciated; and that's a good thing. I also added in a few more practical ideas & thoughts that might be helpful to us all ... :)

in105days
08-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks for all of that... some of us really need it more than you can even imagine. Thanks again.

And Ronni, your signature is just a punchline. Love it :)

Jadair
08-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Im new to 3fc and i am so excited to have found it! It makes such a difference to have people who understand and can encourage and press you on!! Def an answser to prayer!!

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-14-2010, 09:40 PM
105 ~ you are quite welcome; and I agree about RONNIE's signature line -- it makes me laugh every time I read it! :lol:

jilly6
09-25-2010, 08:35 AM
That was wonderful. Thank you.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-03-2010, 12:36 AM
POSITIVE PROMISES FROM THE WORD ~ here are some positive, uplifting verses from scriptures that are good to think on (or meditate on) when you want to distract yourself with something upbeat ...

PSALM 23:1 ~ The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want ... (this whole psalm is so calming and reassuring)

PHIL 4:13 ~ I CAN do all things through Christ, who strengthens me ...

PSALM 3:3b ~ Thou art ... the lifter up of my head ...

PSALM 16:11 ~ In thy presence is fullness of joy ...

MARK 10:27 ~ With GOD, all things are possible ...

PSALM 18:2 ~ The LORD is my ROCK ...

JEREMIAH 30:17 ~ I WILL restore health unto you, and heal all your wounds.

ROMANS 8:31 ~ If GOD be for us, who can be against us?

LAMENTATIONS 3:23 ~ HIS compassion is new every morning ...

JOSHUA 1:5 ~ I will be with you; I will not fail you, nor forsake you ...

II TIMOTHY ~ GOD has not given you a spirit of fear; but of POWER, and LOVE, and a SOUND MIND ...

PSALM 62:8 ~ TRUST HIM at ALL TIMES ...

ISAIAH 46:4 ~ Even til your old age (hoar hairs), will I carry you; and I will deliver you ...

ISAIAH 41:10 ~ FEAR THOU NOT; for I am with you -- I will strengthen you, yea, I will help you ...

ISAIAH 40:31 ~ They that wait upon the LORD, shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint ...

:hug:

SPIRITANGEL
11-11-2010, 02:13 PM
This post is incredible. Thank you so much. What a blessing.

I will return to this again and again

Thanks so much

Sue xxxxoooooo

SarahinBalance
11-15-2010, 04:56 AM
I just stumbled on this page and bookmarked this post - Such good words - In times of emotional eating, I feel like I have turned to God but I wonder if I REALLY have - I pray for healing all the time - Pray for a healthy relationship with food - And I tell my fiance that, for whatever reason, food, self image, is a cross that I've been given to carry - I know that sound TOTALLY dramatic, but it is my burden - Potentially a tool that I could use to bring myself closer to God.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-15-2010, 08:13 PM
SPIRITANGEL ~ your welcome; glad that this post is helpful to you ...

SARAH ~ I have thought the same thing as you many times -- that each of us have our challenges in this life. I really believe that for some of us, it is our weight. It is interesting to note that there are so many similarities to other human flaws, like addictions to alcohol, drugs, work, golf, or whatever ...

... and what a humbling experience being overweight is. It is our "Thorn in The Flesh" so2speak, as PAUL said about his physical problem. He admitted that he had problems with nervousness or shyness in front of people, and his eye sight was so bad that he had to have helpers aid him in writing his letters to the churches, but he still did a marvelous work nevertheless, writing most of the New Testament.

I so agree that my weight problems have brought me much closer to the LORD and kept me there too. Can't get too full of yourself when you have such an obvious flaw that everyone can see; and they sure don't ever let you forget it either -- but our LORD, in His wisdom, can take such a flaw and turn it into a gem, for us.

The dross is being burnt away; and we are being tried by fire, aren't we? We have learned and will continue to learn, if we are willing. This challenge has taught me to be more considerate, more caring, more loving, more understanding, more compassionate; and less judgemental, less critical, less haughty, and less vain!

Our walk is a journey and through this we are growing towards a kind of perfection; and some day, when we meet on the other side, we will drop off this imperfect body like a heavy cloak -- and just fly ... :angel:

And in the meantime, as we are healing and learning -- remember this ... "MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR THEE!"

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-18-2010, 11:33 PM
HELEN MALLICOAT wrote ...

"I was regretting the past
and fearing the future ..."
and suddenly, the LORD was speaking:
"MY NAME IS 'I AM' "...
He paused. I waited.
He continued ...

"WHEN YOU LIVE IN THE PAST,
WITH ITS MISTAKES AND REGRETS,
IT IS HARD. FOR I AM NOT THERE.
MY NAME IS NOT 'I WAS'

WHEN YOU LIVE IN THE FUTURE,
WITH ITS PROBLEMS AND FEARS,
IT IS HARD. FOR I AM NOT THERE.
MY NAME IS NOT 'I WILL BE'

WHEN YOU LIVE IN THE MOMENT,
IT IS 'NOT' HARD.
FOR I AM HERE.
MY NAME IS 'I AM' "

I read this in a book that I am studying about how to find JOY in your life again; it is called "LAUGH AGAIN" by Charles R. Swindoll.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-17-2011, 08:18 PM
PRAISE is a good way to deal with emotional upsets or stresses that come our way each day. We want to get the most out of this life and live it to the fullest, so we don't want to waste unnecessary time on negative thoughts.

One of the ways to divert our attention away from stress and negativity is by being grateful & thankful for all the many things that are beautiful and wonderful in this life; and we can do that through PRAISE.

Here are just a few PRAISE VERSES to get us started ...

PSALM 145:1-3 ~ I will extol thee, my GOD; and I will bless thee forever. I will PRAISE thy name for ever and ever. Great is the Lord, and greatly to be PRAISED; and his greatness is unsearchable.

PSALM 145:10 ~ All thy works shall PRAISE thee, Oh Lord; and thy saints shall bless thee. (so bless the Lord for the beauty of the earth)

PSALM 145:21 ~ My mouth shall speak the PRAISE of the Lord; and let all flesh bless his holy name forever and ever. (thank Him for the good things He has done for you)

PSALM 146:1/2 ~ PRAISE the Lord; PRAISE the Lord, oh my soul. While I live, will I PRAISE the Lord: I will sing praises to my GOD while I have my being. (make this a new good habit)

PSALM 147:1 ~ PRAISE ye the Lord: for it is good to sing praises unto our GOD; for it is pleasant, and PRAISE is comely.

PSALM 147:7 ~ Sing unto the Lord with Thanksgiving; sing PRAISE upon the harp to our GOD. (songs & hymns would be good)

PSALM 148 ~ All of this Psalm is lovely ...

1) PRAISE ye the Lord. PRAISE ye the Lord from the heavens; PRAISE him in the heights. 2) PRAISE him all his angels; praise him all his hosts. 3) PRAISE him: sun and moon; PRAISE him all ye stars of light. 4) PRAISE him, ye heavens of heavens. 5) Let them PRAISE the Lord: for he commanded, and they were created. 6) He hath established them forever and ever. 7) PRAISE the Lord from the earth, and all deeps.

8) Fire & hail; snow & vapor; stormy wind fulfilling his word. 9) Mountains & hills, fruitful trees & cedars. 10) Beasts & all cattle; creeping things & flying fowl. 11) Kings of the earth & all people; princes & judges of the earth. 12) Both young men & maidens, old men & children. 13) Let them PRAISE the name of the Lord; for his name alone is excellent. His glory is above the earth & heaven. 14) He exalteth the horn of his people, the PRAISE of the Saints & the children of Israel. PRAISE YE THE LORD.

PSALM 149 ~ ALL of this Psalm is nice ...

1) PRAISE ye the Lord. Sing unto the Lord a new song, and his PRAISE in the congregation of the saints. 2) Let Israel rejoice in Him that made him: let the children of Zion be joyful in their King. 3) Let them PRAISE his name in the dance: let them sing PRAISES unto him with the timbrel & harp.

4) For the Lord taketh pleasure in his people: He will beautify the meek with salvation. 5) Let the saints be joyful in glory; let them sing aloud upon their beds. 6) Let the high praises of the Lord be in their mouths, and a two-edged sword in their hand. (the Word of GOD) 9) PRAISE YE THE LORD!

PSALM 150 ~ All of this Psalm is good too ...

1)PRAISE ye the LORD. PRAISE GOD in his santuary: PRAISE him in the firmament of his power. 2) PRAISE him for his mighty acts; PRAISE him according to his excellent greatness. 3) PRAISE him with the sound of the trumpet: PRAISE him with the psaltry and the harp. 4) PRAISE him with the timbrel & dance; PRAISE him with the stringed instruments & organs. 5) PRAISE him upon the loud cymbals; PRAISE him upon the high sounding cymbals. 6) LET EVERYTHING THAT HAS BREATH, PRAISE THE LORD. PRAISE YE THE LORD!

PSALM 8 ~ ALL (condensed)

"Oh Lord, our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! Who has set thy glory above the heavens. 2/ Out of the mouth of babes hast thou ordained strength, that thou might still the enemy. 3/ When I consider thy heavens, the moon & the stars, which thou has ordained; 4/ What is man that thou art mindful of him & visiteth him? 5/ For thou has made him a little lower than the angels & has crowned him with glory & honor. 6/ Thou has given him dominion over all thy works & put all things under his feet. 7/ All sheep & oxen & beasts of the field; 8/ the fowl of the air & fish of the sea & whatever passes through the sea; 9/ Oh Lord, our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!"

I Chronicles 20:10-13 ~ praise verses

"Blessed be thou, Oh Lord GOD, our Father, forever & ever. Thine, Oh Lord, is the greatness, and the Power, and the Glory, and the Victory, and the Majesty: for all that is in the heaven & in the earth is thine; thine is the Kingdom, Oh Lord, and thou art exalted as head above all. Both riches & honor come of thee; and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand are power & might; and in thine hand, it is to make great; and to give strength unto all. Now therefore, our GOD, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name."

I Chronicles 16: 23-36 ~ Thanks & Praise

"Sing unto the Lord, all the earth; shew forth from day to day, His salvation. 24/Declare His glory & marvellous works among all nations. 25/For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised: he also is to be revered above all; for the Lord made the heavens. 27/Glory & honor are in His presence; strength & gladness are in His place. Give unto the Lord, glory & strength. 29/Give unto the Lord, the glory due His name: bring an offering & come before Him: worship the Lord in the beauty of His Holiness. Revere Him, all the earth; (and) the world shall be stable.

34/Let the heavens be glad & the earth rejoice: let men say 'The Lord Reigns'. Let the sea roar, and the fullness thereof: let the fields rejoice, and all that is therein. Oh give thanks unto the Lord; for He is good; for His Mercy endures forever. 35/And say ye, Save us, Oh GOD of our salvation, and gather us together, and deliver us, that we may give thanks to thy Holy Name, and glory in thy praise. 36/Blessed be the Lord GOD forever & ever. And all the people said, 'Amen', and praised the Lord."

I have often heard people say something like -- OH, HALLELUJAH ANYWAYS ... this is a short mantra that can be used when something unexpected happens. You can make up your own praises and mantras too. I like to sing songs & hymns as well; so I purchased a large hymnal book at a Christian book store so that I can sing my favorites whenever I want to.

I also write my own praise songs & poems; then I can sing them as often as I like. I also write songs with a joyful theme. Reciting joyful or glad verses can put us in a more positive frame of mind; and there are literally hundreds of them in the Bible. Listening to and singing along with joyful music can do the same thing.

I also keep a GRATITUDE JOURNAL so that I can keep track of all the many blessings we have received over the years; and, all the ANSWERS TO PRAYERS as well. The busyness of life can make us forgetful: so it is wonderful to go back and see just how many times GOD has helped us and blessed us.

:D

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-16-2011, 09:31 PM
WANTED TO SHARE ~ about a really interesting book that I am reading right now, called "POWER IN PRAISE" by Merlin R. Carothers. This man believes that PRAISE can literally change our lives for the better. The subtitle is "How the Spiritual Dynamic of Praise Revolutionizes Lives".

*This man believes that everything that happens in life has a reason; and can be turned or changed for the good. He believes that we can and should Praise & Thank GOD for everything that happens in our life, including bad things, ie problems, etc. He thinks we should thank GOD first for the people in our lives, thank him for the problems (so we can learn from them), and then praise GOD for them as well.

*He says that from experience, when people change their mindset to one of thanks & praise, that their lives are literally transformed ...

------------------------------------

Another really good book about PRAISE is called "THE PRAYER THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING" -- The Hidden Power of Praising GOD, by Stormie OMartian.

*Stormie believes that Praise can be a kind of special prayer and communication with GOD that can literally change your life and walk with the LORD. That Praise can heal you and bring you much closer to GOD too.

I have been doing a lot of reading about the Power of Praise in our Christian walk and these books have some wonderful ideas and stories in them. I will share some thoughts from them a little later. (see above*)

tyme4me
03-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Thank you--I am so blessed to have found this forum. I am reading and learning the Bible for the first time in my life and your site will be a great support for my life changing journey. I hope to be a support to others also. Thank you again---Shirl

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-16-2011, 10:44 PM
:welcome: SHIRL ~ glad you found us over here; come on over and visit us in the March Christian Encouragers Chat Thread. Love to have you join us there ... :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-02-2011, 01:07 AM
*** EMOTIONAL HEALING & PROBLEMS ***

You know, this thread can be very helpful to anyone who is dealing with emotional issues from their childhood; and not only them, but from their adult lives as well, ie abusive marriages, relationship or family problems, work issues, illness, etc. We all suffer in this life ~ and sometimes, we erroneously think that others don't suffer like us, but they do -- you just don't know about it yet ...

As scripture says, there is nothing that you are going through that is not "common to man" -- somebody, somewhere has been through the exact same thing at some time or another. Actually thousands, if not millions of people have. Everybody has problems in this life; that is part of the human condition. No-one is immune; including Christians.

The important thing is to 1) TRUST GOD & PRAY ... 2) FOCUS ON A SOLUTION (esp one that does not involve food) ... and 3) LEARN FROM YOUR EXPERIENCES as well.

THERE IS NOTHING THAT YOU WILL FACE ON THIS EARTH, THAT SOMEONE ELSE HASN'T ALREADY OVERCOME!

The bible shows us that we can find ways to heal our hurts, our pasts, our problems, and our emotions through reading & reciting scriptures (lots of wisdom & comfort there), pouring our hearts out to GOD, sharing with others, by helping others, singing hymns & songs, doing positive meditations, being thankful & grateful, saying prayers, and praising GOD ... :D

fight2winthis
07-15-2011, 10:26 AM
i've found my group! Praises to God! I've been going through a depression lately because of a myriad of circumstances, but on some days i notice i'm happier and brighter, other days i feel like crawling underneath my bed and shutting myself away from the world. Early this morning by 4am I realized a trend... I'm happier and more cheerful on the days i exercise! I only workout 3times a week, so u can imagine the stats. This proves to me personally that exercise relieves depression. However I wondered, "so that's it? I've to exercise everyday just to feel human?" I could, but I want to believe life has more to offer. I love to exercise but I dont want it to be my only lifeline.

Looking back these past few months my prayer life has suffered. I've just been on my own, forgetting that God who made me knows the reason why everything is, and that He's here for me in my low points. And right now I figure that getting close to God again will really help me get my life back on track, including my business, my relationships, my weight and my health in general. Finding this group (I'm new in this forum) just proves it! I'm sooo excited! Thanks for being here (what more can I say?)

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-15-2011, 03:44 PM
:welcome: Fight2WinThis ~ glad you found us over here -- we have a daily chat thread in this forum called CHRISTIAN ENCOURAGERS ... drop by there so we can give you support on an on-going basis. Wealso have a prayer thread in this forum called PRAYERS WARRIORS, so if you need prayer, post a specific request(s) in there too. Come back often as that helps a lot ... :hug:

ItsMyTurn
07-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Fight2Win - I love your name! I just peeked in this group today and was so happy as well!

Rosebud (sorry about using your screen title in last post, I paid attention to know you prefer Rosebud now ;) ) - This I borrowed from one of your posts:
*He says that from experience, when people change their mindset to one of thanks & praise, that their lives are literally transformed ...

This is soooo true! Something I think we all have to work on from time to time, but it sure does help with perspective and stress. Being thankful and praising actually helps us diminish negativity! I will say that I am one of "those people" who gets an emotional tangle inside sometimes. Instead of blowing up or binging, I have learned to get into cardio and I blast Kirk Franklin - I Smile, Group 1 Crew - Song to Sing, Michael W Smith - A New Hallelujah...just to name a few and sweat out all those emotions now, while keeping my focus where it should be. All the same principles you have posted on here all in practice with that method :) Love it!

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-21-2011, 07:53 PM
ITSMYTURN (Diana Ross song) ~ the name thing doesn't really matter (it's just for fun); I had tried to sign up as ROSEBUD, but it kept saying it was taken already, so after about a 1/2 dozen or more tries with numbers, I just quickly typed in "Justwant2Bhealthy" out of sheer frustration ... :lol: ROSEBUD was from an old classic movie I saw many moons ago, and is a nickname my DH calls me now & then ... ;)

Yes, I have found through my experience too that praizing GOD on a regular basis, esp when you are upset, or stressed, or harried -- can prevent or halt the desire to binge eat (emotional eating). It has worked marvellously for me; and the more I "practiced this method", the easier it became. It is almost second-nature now; and even when someone says something negative to me, the effect is gone now. Awesome!

Immediately, a mini-praise song I wrote for myself -- comes into my mind and I start singing it and the neggies or bad feelings sail away ... it really works! It is truly a cure for emotional eating for those who are willing to take the time to try it. You will be tested -- so be persistant with your praise responses, and the :devil: will fllee from you ...

If you live in the gloomies, or neggies, or with an attitude of complaining or criticalness & cynicism -- how can GOD break through that dark barrier to heal you, unless you invite Him to? You must let in the light -- so, open that door wide and let the :sunny: shine in ... that is, let GOD's LOVE shine into your heart & mind & soul -- through Praise & Thanksgiving, and then you will be healed & transformed! :D

FIGHT2WINTHIS ~ they say that exercise releases hormones that can elevate our moods; I'm convinced that humans were made to require fresh air & regular exercise, and with the need to socialize with others as well (for it is not good for man to dwell alone; Genesis) ... :)

There's an old saying that goes ... "If you don't feel as close to GOD as you used to, you don't have to guess who moved ..." ;) And, the rewards of returning to Him, are just so great! :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Our recent move has surely tested these emotional eating strategies; and I have done very well considering. I have become more vocal about my feelings and maybe that is helping me to keep from turning to food. Seems I am expressing my emotions a bit more too (in this case, anger). Maybe I needed to do that all along instead of burying my feelings with food. I hope others can learn to do this too ... :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-03-2011, 10:41 PM
--- HOW TO RENEW YOUR MIND --- Romans 12:2

Pray and ask the HOLY SPIRIT to help you, and think on this ...

"__________" WON'T SOLVE THIS PROBLEM FOR ME -- NOW OR EVER ...

Fill in the "BLANK" with whatever -- anger, frustration, swearing, self-abasement, worry, anxiety, envy, self-pity, blame, sadness, self-criticism, arguing, excuses, whining, giving up, food/eating, etc.

This is a great "emotional" reminder; and a good way to help us to get our focus back on GOD -- to His positive word & wonderful promises. Ask Him to help you find more practical solutions & real comforts. Then Thank Him & Praise Him for all the many blessings He has sent your way, becuz there are many. :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-01-2011, 05:36 PM
I shared the following post with someone in another forum (100 lb) who is struggling with emotional eating like many of us do ...

-------------------------------------------------------

I see the emotions of "frustration" in your post -- stuck at 185 lbs despite so much effort; "anger" -- can't eat what I want to; "fear" of intimacy from unwanted attention; "battle fatigue" being at this so long; and a lot of "disappointment" as well ... yes, emotion; emotion; emotion ...

1) I also like the idea of JOURNALLING your feelings -- you can make a file on your PC, and erase it down the road. Journalling can help you see patterns. Look for other ways to deal with them instead of EATING YOUR FEELINGS, or stuffing them down with food. Ask yourself what you are afraid of, and what you can do or say next time to handle things better. Practicing does help. Remember that fears are often unfounded &/ exaggerated.

2) I also use DISTRACTION techniques -- I made a list of things I can do to get away from the food. I made myself a special room at the other end of the house away from the kitchen, where my PC is where I can journal, play games, work on my hobbies, and/ read.

3) One of my biggest issues/patterns was upsets with family (esp my spouse). When DH & I have a disagreement that isn't going anywhere constructive or healthy, I now walk away and go to one of my special places. I made a conscious choice (another new good habit) not to argue over silly things anymore; when he engages, I walk ...

4) I also try to keep trigger foods out my house as much as possible -- having lots of trigger foods around is kinda like self-sabotage.

5) So as to not feel deprived in any way, I have found lots of healthier substitutes for my favorite foods, ie Pita Pizzas instead of the high-calorie take-out ones; healthy burgers (ie chicken burgers or lean burgers), etc. I have developed some good new habits like having salad and/ lots & lots of veggies with my meal to fill up on. Soup at lunchtime is really good too. Friday night is fun food night; we have our favorite foods; many in a more healthy form, but just as yum. PS ... on occasion, we do have take-out but we are choosier and we watch the size, ie a slice of pizza with salad is plenty.

6) I also use "Positive Mantras" and "Positive Affirmations" which I recite out loud to myself to remind myself what a great person I am, and that I am doing well -- negating any negative thoughts that may have emerged. Since I have a strong faith, I also use positive scriptures, prayers, singing, playing organ or piano, or listening to music to distract myself, calm myself, and help myself heal. Peace & quiet; gentle music & reading helps me to de-stress.

7) One of my favorite Mantras is to simply say ... "CANCEL, CANCEL -- I WILL NOT EAT MY FEELINGS!" ... OR ... I WILL NOT RE-ACT -- TAKE CHARGE! For negative thoughts -- counter them with an appropriate and positive response. Have some ready; memorize them. (See the positive affirmations list below)

8) When I slip up, as we all do -- I just move on and continue on plan for the next snack or meal or day. A lot of planning and strategy is in play here; planning to have healthy snacks & having them in the house. For me, I had to learn to BE PREPARED ... I plan, plan, plan, and plan some more ... I even plan how I can stay on plan ...

9) How to get back on track -- one-day-at-a-time; one-meal-at-a-time; one-snack-at-a-time ... one-step-at-a-time. The first step is making up your mind to "get back on track" ... then start right now ...

10) Come here often -- read the success stories & advice of maintainers & look at the progress pics in the 100 lb forum; it really helps to keep you on your good health journey.

I hope some of the ideas here are helpful to others too. I am presently making a list of common emotions and some practical ways to deal with them instead of using food ... :D

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Here's a list of POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS that you can use whenever you get overwhelmed with negative thoughts or emotions; and/ when you just want to boost your self-esteem ...

Positive Affirmations are "Thoughts That Heal" ~ too many people (esp women) can't think of their positive attributes becuz they haven't received enough verbal encouragement in their lives. Pick those that suit you, and/ that you'd like to be. Recite them out loud until you believe them.

You know what they say -- YOU ARE WHAT YOU THINK YOU ARE ...

I am kind & caring
I am helpful & nurturing
I am gentle & loving
I am strong & well
I am creative & colorful
I am polite & pleasant
I am bold & brave
I am intelligent & industrious
I am insightful & intuitive
I am fair & just
I am courageous & confident in the LORD
I am calm & peaceful
I am Happy & Joyous
I am Serene & Tranquil
I am forgiving & gracious
I am healthy & whole
I am sweet & nice
I am cheery & charming
I am artistic & crafty
I am bright & beautiful
I am enthusiastic & energetic
I am witty & wise
I am determined & motivated
I am honest & trustworthy
I am faithful & true
I am smart & useful
I am fiesty & spunky
I am capable & competent
I am generous & giving
I am cute & cuddly
I am thoughtful & considerate
I am flexible & fun
I am interesting & knowlegeable
I am patient & prudent
I am decisive & disciplined
I am practical & principled
I am passionate & purposeful
I am positive & persistent
I am quick & clever
I am a good cook
I am neat & tidy & organized
I am diligent & dutiful
I am reliable & responsible
I am efficient & equitable
I am thrifty & frugal
I am a caring parent
I am classy & cultured
I am elegant & enchanting
I am perceptive & discerning
I am skilled & learned
I am good with money
I am active & aware
I am reverent & respectful
I am humble & meek
I am endearing & graceful
I am compassionate & merciful
I am a deserving & worthy child of GOD
I am vivacious & vibrant
I am blessed & a blessing
I am thankful & grateful
I am Accomplished & Successful
I am a Victor & an Overcomer
I am a Winner & an Achiever

You may have some other talents too; include them in your own list ...

Allura Beatu
11-11-2011, 02:37 AM
--- HOW TO RENEW YOUR MIND --- Romans 12:2

Pray and ask the HOLY SPIRIT to help you, and think on this ...

"__________" WON'T SOLVE THIS PROBLEM FOR ME -- NOW OR EVER ...

Fill in the "BLANK" with whatever -- anger, frustration, swearing, self-abasement, worry, anxiety, envy, self-pity, blame, sadness, self-criticism, arguing, excuses, whining, giving up, food/eating, etc.

This is a great "emotional" reminder; and a good way to help us to get our focus back on GOD -- to His positive word & wonderful promises. Ask Him to help you find more practical solutions & real comforts. Then Thank Him &

Praise Him for all the many blessings He has sent your way, becuz there are

many. :hug:

My kind of group - to God be the Glory!

bargoo
11-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Rosebud, thank you for a remarkable post. Your thoughts on praise remided me af an old song that I haven't heard for a long time.

Praise Him,
Praise Him,
Praise Him in the morning,
Praise Him in the noontime,
Praise Him,
Praise Him.
Praise Him when the sun goes down.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Welcome, ALLURA ~ glad you liked it ... :D

YES, BARGOO ~ thanks for the reminder; I think I have heard that song and know the tune in my head ... :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-25-2011, 01:45 AM
COMMON EMOTIONS that tempt us to eat when we're not really hungry ...

EMOTIONAL UPSETS ~ are any kind of "feelings" that cause an emotional reaction or response from us from the stresses of life. It could be something as simple as being cut-off by another driver on the road, or grieving the loss of a loved one or friend. Most offenses come at the hands of those we are closest to -- like our family members (ie spouses, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, and extended family members), as well as friends, neighbours, and co-workers, etc. [BTW, I am NOT talking about mental illness here; but simply emotional responses to various kinds of stress.]

HURT FEELINGS/INSULTS ~ someone says or does something; or doesn't say or do something that leads to being offended. How do we respond to being hurt -- using food is not the solution. We need to find better ways like journalling our feelings; talking to a friend or anyone that will understand; or, discuss it with the person who offended you, if possible. I think this is esp important when dealing with a spouse or other close family members. Tell them how you feel and what you expect in the future; but don't leave it too long, or the hurt can fester and lead to binge/emotional eating.

SADNESS ~ tears are one of the healthiest inborn ways of handling sadness; expressing our sadness through talking or journalling are very good too. DO NOT AVOID SADNESS -- sadness is a normal part of being a human being in an imperfect world. Some people take meds to "avoid feeling their feelings" -- like feeling sad, or when grieving; and they wonder why the meds don't work.

Many people do not realize that occasional depression is really just sadness that lingers a while; if this goes on for more than three months, seek help. Talking to someone really helps; and counselling is the best remedy. In some cases, there may be a physical/chemical cause that may need meds; see a doctor for this. NOTE: some people ask for meds when what they really need is counselling, and/ to make some changes in their life situations.

FEARS ~ we have many fears in this life; some are founded, but some are not -- often they may be exaggerated too. Talking about your fears with someone & journalling are very helpful; as is facing or acting out against your fears, ie getting back on a bike or horse again after a fall. Deal with your fears as soon as possible.

ANXIETY ~ although anxieties feel very real at the time, they may be unfounded and/ exaggerated (see FEARS). You can talk about them with someone who can reassure you; journal them; or pray about them, but I think the best one is to WAIT THEM OUT -- as in THIS TOO SHALL PASS ... Sometimes, there may be a real or physical cause to anxiety; so check that out too (ie during menopause: caused by a hormonal change in the body) ... In severe cases, you may have to take meds temporarily; as the symptoms often ease up with time, or when your circumstances change. (see also worry, below)

DISAPPOINTMENTS ~ we all suffer disappointments in this life. Some are because people let us down, so that is why the bible says "not to put our confidence in man, but in GOD" ... also life can disappoint us; we can end up jaded or disillusioned when things don't work out how we'd hoped.

We have to be very careful about having "UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS of PERFECTION" -- esp from our relationships, people, work, GOD, and life. Discuss your expectations with others to make sure they are reasonable, to prevent this from happening again. Try not to take disappointments too personal, as sometimes they are caused by things beyond our control. Try not be so hard on yourself & others. Do what you can; but keep believing and trying, no matter what ...

ANGER ~ this is one emotion that people (esp women) often feel guilty about and try to avoid, but anger can be a good emotion, as long as it doesn't get out of control or go on too long. There is such a thing as justified anger. We need to EXPRESS our anger -- talk it out in a rational way; journal it; wait it out; or pray about it, then make a choice to move on ...

WORRY ~ worrying is being anxious about something that may or may not have happened yet. A lot of people worry when they shouldn't, and when they don't need to. Sometimes, there may be a genuine concern about someone you love; but, don't waste precious time & energy on "what ifs" and "what might have beens" ... Life has enough real problems, so don't borrow trouble from tomorrow that will most likely never occur. Praying helps a lot, as does distraction (keeping busy), and talking to a good friend or counsellor.

BATTLE FATIGUE ~ is a kind of exhaustion or burn-out when we've worked really hard (maybe even too hard) to achieve something, but don't see enough results or rewards. You often see this in jobs/careers, or when trying to regain your health or losing weight etc. Sometimes taking a rest for awhile helps, as does utilizing a new plan or strategy -- looking to others for some new ideas & encouragement & support.

FRUSTRATION ~ is hard to describe, yet it is a perplexing feeling that can come from many situations as mentioned above -- when you are trying to achieve a goal(s) and encounter stalls, delays, or even find blocks in the way. Be creative and look for some new ideas, strategies, methods, solutions & support from others who have found wisdom from similar experience. Making the choice to persevere is also very helpful here.

GUILT ~ may be founded or not; often it is exaggerated or even misguided. Either way, I find turning guilt & shame over to GOD is very helpful; the bible says that JESUS took all guilt & shame to the cross for us -- so, lay it at His feet.

Often parents feel guilty, or blame themselves when their children have difficulty, but they have to realize that everything isn't their fault. Sometimes children make unwise choices, but they need to learn from them. You can only protect them so much & you can warn them but ultimately, you cannot live their lives for them.

We must set down healthy rules & boundaries in our relationships (esp in marriages & families). Moreover, we also need to learn to forgive ourselves & others (often), so that we can heal and move on; and we need to know when it's time to let go ...

SORROW/GRIEF ~ is a kind of sadness that relates to a great loss: like having to adjust to losing a loved one or beloved pet, a job, or marriage, etc. This is a very difficult life experience; and it takes time to heal. It is a necessary feeling to help us go on, so don't try to avoid it. GOD gave us a built-in comforter -- healing tears; so don't try to suppress them, as they can help you a lot. Tears help us to release our sadness ...

Prayers, meditations & singing; working or resting; gardening & hobbies; journalling; talking & sharing can all help in this regard. You may even want to join a grief group, or get some grief counselling, as many people find this helpful. While you will never forget, it will take some time to work out all your feelings, and ease the pain of your loss.

There's a lovely saying that goes ... THE BEAUTY REMAINS, BUT THE PAIN PASSES. This is so true; as times goes by, the pain eases and the beauty of that person or pet remains with us, in fond memories.

----------------------------------

NOW, let's get down to the brass tacks, so2speak -- here are several clear, every day examples of major emotional stressors that are very common to us all ...

You have some problems at work (maybe a disagreement with a boss or co-worker); you have a spat with your spouse or teenager, or a friend (or anyone really); one or both of your parents or siblings were overly-critical or even mean to you; you lost a loved one or a beloved pet; you lost your job; you found out your spouse was cheating on you or wants a divorce, or you are going through a break-up or a divorce; you have a rude encounter with someone (say in busy traffic); or a car accident; you or someone you love becomes ill; or you were/are the victim of abuse or trauma of some kind; or you are moving or getting married ... and so on.

The most important thing to remember is -- TO FEEL YOUR FEELINGS ... DON'T EAT YOUR FEELINGS; and don't TRY TO BURY THEM or AVOID THEM with food. Women have great trouble with this -- some where, some how, some way, we learned to stuff down our feelings with food. We may have seen our parents doing this (I saw my mother & my gramma do this). Some people drink or take drugs even; or chain smoke like fiends. ;)

(BTW, this may have started with nurturing patterns or actions when we were babies: upset baby -- shove a bottle in it's mouth). Let's face it -- food tastes good and is very soothing; some people even say that "Food is their drug of choice".

Do we somehow feel it isn't lady-like or polite to be angry? Are we afraid of losing control? Are we ashamed to show our feelings? Are we embarrassed to let others see us cry, or know how much they have hurt us? Are we afraid of looking silly or weak or unstable? Are we fearful of confrontations? Do we feel powerless in our life situations? ...

It's all avoidance, or trying to cover up, or hide our true/real feelings. We must face them & feel them, so we can heal.

THE SOLUTION: We must look for *practical and creative* ways to deal with our feelings each & every day. It does take practice, but in time, you can handle them better. You can learn not to turn to food to console yourself. You can even learn ways to prevent some upsets in the future, as mentioned above (ie, setting boundaries in your life & relationships). Write up a list of *strategies*, using some of the ideas here to help you.

*We need to find healthy ways to deal with our hurt feelings. We need practical solutions (like setting some rules & limits) & real comforts (like hugs) that don't involve food or other substances. Give yourself permission to FEEL YOUR FEELINGS; and then EXPRESS THEM as needed ...

Talking & sharing, finding support from others; counselling (including intervention and/or mediation), journalling or writing (as in poems, stories or songs), listening to music, singing, praying, praizing; meditations & affirmations; sports & exercising; working, gardening; resting and/ sleeping; distraction, walking, reading, playing, crafts & hobbies; making positive changes (including setting boundaries &/ ending unhealthy relationships & making new friends); volunteering; sight-seeing or vacationing; and taking time-out or waiting, can all help us deal with and heal our emotional issues.

I have often seen members here ask for advice on how to deal with real life stressors they encounter each day; and they get some really good ideas from other people's life knowledge & experience. You may have some more ideas too -- expand this list as you like ... :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-17-2011, 09:25 PM
* HERE'S MY LIST of 50 + 1 WAYS TO SOOTHE YOURSELF WITHOUT FOOD *

I call them REAL COMFORTS. Someone on another forum was asking about ways to soothe ourselves without food, so I brainstormed today and came up with this list. Maybe you could come up with some more ...

1 -- listening to calming music; I got a new cd called "Vitality"

by Brewed Moods; it is so peaceful and soothing ...

2 -- reading good books

3 -- hugs from my furry baby (spouse & family & friends)

4 -- talking & sharing with caring people

5 -- rocking in my rocking chair

6 -- exercise (that you enjoy)

7 -- journalling (anything)

8 -- writing: I write songs and poems

9 -- playing musical instruments (my organ & piano)

10 -- singing (and practicing)

11 -- dancing

12 -- sitting on my porch in good weather

13 -- watching a beautiful sunrise or sunset

14 -- drawing or painting

15 -- crocheting or other crafts

16 -- reading the bible

17 -- being grateful, thankful, and praizing GOD

18 -- reciting mantras & affirmations

19 -- dare I say it -- loving S?X

20 -- a good cup of tea or java

21 -- a nice glass of wine

22 -- sleeping or napping

23 -- swimming

24 -- sunbathing

25 -- tai chi (my fave); or yoga, pilates, etc

26 -- watching or doing sports (that you love)

27 -- going to the beach; watching the surf

28 -- a walk or drive in the country

29 -- gardening (one of my faves)

30 -- flowers

31 -- bird-watching (our hobby)

32 -- a sitspa

33 -- a warm or cool shower

34 -- standing in the rain on a hot day

35 -- the sun shining on a cold day (ie winter)

36 -- a massage

37 -- someone rubbing my sore feet

38 -- fuzzy socks when cold

39 -- my fleece blanky while resting

40 -- getting your hair done

41 -- a manicure or pedicure

42 -- a lovely fire (fireplace or bonfire)

43 -- waterfalls (the sight and sound)

44 -- a starry night with a full moon

45 -- watching a funny or favorite movie

46 -- playing with children or pets

47 -- doing favorite puzzles

48 -- playing games

49 -- join a support club or site

50 -- meditating, contemplating, daydreaming, and Praying ...

50 + 1 -- Christmas lights & music! :tree:

Bootsie
12-17-2011, 10:06 PM
I learn so much reading your post Rosebud thank you!

wanzulfikri
01-07-2012, 09:27 PM
You lighten up my day, rosebud.

Certainly, controlling your emotion can make you lose weight because you are learning to control yourself.

How many times do you think that we eat because of the sake of living and not for pleasure?

That is why we need to heal our emotions first then we can proceed with the physical stuff.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks, ladies .... :hug:

How many times do you think that we eat because of the sake of living and not for pleasure?

Probably more than we realize, I think. Might as well work on both the emotional stuff & physical as we go along -- well, that's how I have been doing it anyways. It just worked out that way. :lol:

Life stressors will always be with us, so we have to continually find ways to handle them without using food. They keep coming up though, and from many different sources. I've been making up a list of helpful Mantras lately (lots of good ones on this site); I'll use whatever tools work ... :D

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-16-2012, 08:56 PM
A Cherokee Legend ... posted by Astrophe

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.

"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil -- he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego."

He continued, "The other is good -- he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you -- and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his Grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

--------------------

Love this post by Astrophe. I really think this legend/story is a great reminder to us how our emotions can get the best of us at times. Then we just need to stop, refocus, and feed the right wolf ... ;)

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Here's that list of Mantras & Wise Sayings -- most of which came from people right here on this site ... :D

-------

"Be good to yourself. If you don’t take care of your body, where will you live?" – Kobi Yamada –

-------

"A year from now you'll be glad you started today."

-------

EAT LESS & MOVE MORE; then PLAN, TRACK, and PLAN some more!

-------

For me, the best eating plan is one that I enjoy; and the best exercise is one that I can do! :) moi :)

-------

Motivation will get you started, but only commitment will carry you through ...

-------

I commit to do the best that I can each and every day -- to stay with this lifestyle change, while I am learning.

-------

"Learn from the past, plan for the future; but, take it one day at a time ... BeverlyJoy

-------

Just getting started is half the battle won.

-------

Every day do something to make a better tomorrow.

-------

Decide; Start; Commit; Plan; Track; Tweak; Work it!

-------

No matter what -- Continue to work it ...

-------

"Love yourself enough to do what is required to succeed."

-------

You have time for whatever you make time for ...

-------

Don't neglect what you want most, for what you want now.

-------

A minute on the lips = a month on the hips! (or more?)

-------

Motivation may get you started, but only Commitment will last.

-------

"A slip doesn't have to become a free fall." ~ theox

-------

If an apple doesn't satisfy, then you're not really hungry!

-------

Keep on diggin' ... keep on fightin' ... keep on tryin' ...
Keep on, Keepin' on ... and you will win the prize!

-------

When you're truly committed to something ~ you accept no excuses, only results.”

-------

Scheduling can help you keep those commitments.

-------

Decide; Commit; Plan; Track; Goal; Account; Persevere!

-------

I am committed to doing my best each day.

-------

"Don't look at how far you have to go, look back at how far you have come."

-------

Fall seven times, stand up eight ... Japanese Proverb

-------

Sometimes it's easier to avoid a temptation than try to fight it! (Kaplods; paraphrased; moi)

-------

It's easier to stay on plan, than to get back on plan!

-------

*I keep telling myself, "Hunger is not an emergency." ;)*

-------

A journey of 1000 miles begins with 1 step ...

-------

There comes a time when we all need to stop saying "I wish" or "I will", and start saying "I am", so we can later say "I did".

------- To me from me ------- A Pep Talk -------

We have to forgive ourselves for yesterday and all those mistakes, and focus on today ... Today is a new day. Today is the beginning of a new healthier lifestyle. Today is what matters. Today, we can correct the mistakes. Today, we can start fresh. Today, we can make better choices. Today, we can learn. Today, we can do better. Today, we can succeed. :)

-------

"In short, I need to have many ways to enjoy life -- food shouldn't become a central symbol. A diet shouldn't be too restrictive, and a person should cultivate MANY outlets for Joy in their life." Quote: unknown

-------

I've now realized that I can enjoy food without it being the center of my life. (tessendicott)

-------

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." ~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

-------

Weight Loss does not take Perfection. It takes Persistence.

-------

The stomach is a funny thing...the more food you feed it, the more it desires -- the less you feed it the less it requires!

-------

I love myself too much to eat that!

-------

"The future is based on the present..."

-------

"The only thing standing between who you are now and who you want to be ~ is YOU"

-------

"Nothing happens until something moves." ~ Einstein ~

-------

Physical fitness can neither be achieved by wishful thinking nor outright purchase. ~ Joseph Pilates ~

-------

~*~*~Don't let today's moment forsake tomorrow's dream~*~*~

-------

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading." ~ Lao Tzu ~

-------

"Self-esteem is the most important thing, not weight. Life is for being happy and making others around you happy." ~ Tracy34

-------

I Choose: To live by choice, not by chance; to make changes, not excuses; to be motivated, not manipulated; to be useful, not used; to excel, not compete. I choose: self-esteem, not self pity. I choose to listen to my inner voice, not the random opinions of others.

-------

Just Keep On, Keepin' On ...

-------

Plan to stay on Plan ...

-------

I CAN ... one-step-at-a-time!

-------

IT'S OK TO FEEL A LITTLE HUNGRY ...

-------

PERSISTENCE PAYS ...

-------

Don't give yourself permission to fail; you only fail if you quit!

-------

The best eating plan is one that you like; and the best exercise is one you enjoy ...

-------

Give yourself permission to win!!!

-------

Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit! ~ Conrad Hilton ~

-------

Decision + Commitment + Perseverance = Success

-------

Don't throw yourself down the stairs because you slipped on the first step.

-------

Live between the steps ... EZMONEY (Gary)

-------

Whatever plan works for you is the best plan for you.

-------

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.”

-------

Use diet for weight loss & exercise for fitness.

-------

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~Christopher Robin to Pooh ~

-------

"Decide what you want; decide what you're willing to exchange for it; establish your priorities, and go to work." ~ H.L.Hunt ~

-------

If you Want it, you’ll find a Way. If you Don’t, you’ll find an Excuse. ((Thanks, Meg))

-------

A glass of water is what it is ...
it's only our own perception that tells us
whether or not it's half empty or half full
... it's just a matter of Choice!!!

-------

The best eating plan is the one you can stick to; and the best exercise is the one that you will do. *uh-uh*

-------

Never give up what you want Most, for what you want at the Moment!!

-------

"Life has hills. Set the treadmill at an incline."

-------

The Only Thing I Want From Tomorrow Is To Live It Better Than Today.

-------

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance. (Karen31)

-------

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow, will be our doubts of today. ~ Franklin D Roosevelt ~

-------

“Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them quickly, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and follow where they lead.”

-------

"Never give up, even when the obstacles seem sky high. There is something extraordinary in all of us." ~ The Eighty-Dollar Champion ~

-------

If you love the results, learn to love the process.

-------

Discipline is remembering what you want.

-------

You cannot out-exercise bad eating habits.

-------

Nothing is impossible! The word itself says 'I'm possible'! ~ Audrey Hepburn ~

-------

Worry looks around; sorry looks back; faith looks ^up^ ...

-------

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes." ~ William Gibson (good point, William) ~

-------

When the body is pushed beyond limits, rely on your heart to survive.

--------------

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

-------

You must find something you can live with -- and maintain at the worst of times ... Resolute

-------

You have to believe in what you are doing, and see it through ~ no matter how you feel ... (Resolute; mm)
-------

There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going...the road to success is never an easy one. Stay strong and focused on your journey. MJ5

-------

THERE IS NOTHING THAT YOU WILL FACE ON THIS EARTH, THAT SOMEONE ELSE HASN'T ALREADY OVERCOME! So, you can do it too! (Moi)

-------

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily." ~ Zig Ziglar ~

-------

That's not sweat, it's your fat cells crying! KEEP GOING! LOL!

-------

Eat to maintain the size you want to be, and eventually that will be your reality. (a food scientist said this once)

-------

Being overweight is hard; losing weight is hard; being sick is hard; maintaining is hard; so pick your hard ... ;)

-------

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING HEALTHY FEELS!!!

-------

If you can dream it, you can achieve it; if you can imagine it, you can become it ...

-------

"The most exciting, and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself." Tanee

-------

Doing this one day at a time. Canadian Cutie

-------

"Be who you are, say what you feel. Those who matter, don't mind. Those who mind, don't matter." ~ Dr. Seuss ~

-------

PLAN, PLAN, PLAN ... and PLAN some more; and, eat piles of veggies ... RockinRobin

-------

My piece of advice for you is to throw the word 'motivation' out the window. Motivation may get you started but it will not carry you through out your journey. You need to replace that with commitment. COMMITMENT everyday to having the 'best' day you can. NEBMom

-------

-------

"A year from now you'll be glad you started today."

-------

"There is nothing you can't have tomorrow so there is no reason to eat it all today."

-------

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

-------

"Keep going, you are getting there."

-------

Just go at it ... one-day-at-a-time ... one-meal-at-a-time ... one-bite-at-a-time ... and one-lb-at-a-time! (Kaplods/moi)

-------

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off the goal"

-------

I will always be a member of the Clean Plate Club...my plates are just smaller now.

-------

"You're stomach should not be a waste basket"

-------

"No matter how slow you go, you are passing everyone on the couch" :carrot:

-------

"Sweat is just you're fat crying from all that hard work!" ;)

-------

"Never give up on a dream! Just because of the length of time it will take to achieve it ... The time will pass anyway!"

-------

"If you hit a brick wall, aim higher and climb over it!"

-------

"When you're going through ****, KEEP GOING!!" Winston Churchill

-------

Ya, baby -- just keep on, keepin' on ...

-------

Each day is a choice. Scars tell you where you have been, they don't have to dictate where you are going ... Jill

-------

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do ~ Johann von Goethe ~

-------

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." ~ John Wayne ~

-------

"You can be a Warrior or a slave ... it's up to you!"

-------

Positivity goes a long way towards making one's goals a reality!

-------

Quitting Is Not An Option ...

-------

Consistency matters. Consistently creating a calorie deficit results in weight loss and consistently creating a calorie surplus results in weight gain. Cheryl

-------

*Never give up and Never stop believing!* Kendra

-------

-------

LOVE is the best diet ...

-------

Sure I have a boyfriend, His name is Gym! BornToFly

-------

BTW... I've decided mosquitos are natures way of saying "Run fat girl, RUN!" :wink: AuntyJam from Calgary ... LOL

-------

Trying like crazy not to fit into my genes.

-------

Waddle fast ... and Flap hard ... then FLY! ;)

-------

by Klein Helmer ...

I'll just consider it a happy accident. I have had worse things happen to me than stumbling into a forum full of voluptuous babes. (too cute; luv it) :)

-------

The “perfect” diet is the foods you’ll eat and the “perfect” workout is the one you’ll do. ~ Michael Marsh ~

-------

NEVER let your body image stop you from participating in your own life! ... Beach Patrol

-------

You CAN have ANYTHING you want, but you CAN'T have EVERYTHING you want! (Beach Patrol's mom)

-------

'You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step' ... Martin Luther King

-------

Change can be wonderful if you are willing to make it that way.

-------

Your past does not dictate to your future ...

-------

The day you change your eating habits is the day you let go of denial.

-------

Keeping it off is a hundred decisions a day that help you maintain what you achieved. And that's the hard part. ~ L Sanders ~

-------

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." ~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

-------

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."

-------

It is never too late to be what you wanna be; or do what you wanna do ... :)

-------

"Laughing heartily five times a day has the same beneficial effects as ten minutes on a rowing machine." Really???

-------

"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so.
Some things I cannot change but 'til I try, I'll never know!"

-------

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow, will be our doubts of today. ~ Franklin D Roosevelt ~

-------

Failure: Neglecting what we want most for what we want right now!

-------

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." ~ Margaret Thatcher ~

-------

Do what you gotta do ~ to get where you wanna get!

-------

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated failures. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent ~ Calvin Coolidge ~

-------

The procedure is simple. You work by continuous repetition of an idea, plan, or purpose, until it is accepted by the subconscious mind. ~Napoleon Hill ~

-------

"No matter who you are, no matter what you do, you absolutely, positively do have the power to change.” ~ Bill Phillips ~

-------

Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still ~ Chinese Proverb

-------

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach. ~ Benjamin Mays ~

-------

"Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of patience. Knowing grass, I can appreciate persistence." ~ Hal Borland ~

-------

Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God ... from CherryPie

-------

No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.

-------

I can't lose 100 pounds....but, just maybe I can lose five pounds twenty times. BeverlyJoy

-------

You don't have to be great to start; but you have to start to be great; so hop to it ... Karen

-------

"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures" ~ Lovelle Drachman
-------

"Vision without action is a daydream ~ Action without vision is a nightmare" ~ Vladadog

-------

“It always seems impossible until its done.” ` Nelson Mandela ~

-------

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world... "

-------

Government: if you think the problems we create are bad, just wait until you see our solutions! :lol:

-------

"There's no such thing as failure. There's only feedback. Stop judging yourself & start recognizing it for what it is, an entry point for learning. The truth is, if you're not failing then you're not really reaching & really trying. If you don't like the outcome of a situation, learn from it, make corrections & reapproach wiser & stronger until you achieve your goals." ... Peanutt

-------

Sweat Pea from Sucker Punch - "Who honors those we love with the very life we live? Who sends monsters to kill us, and at the same time sings that we'll never die? Who teaches us what's real, and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live, and what we'll die to defend? Who chains us, and who holds the key to set us free? It's you. You have all the weapons you need. Now fight!"

-------

I Choose: a repeat but worth it!

To live by choice, not by chance;
to make changes, not excuses;
to be motivated, not manipulated;
to be useful, not used;
to excel, not compete.
I choose self-esteem, not self pity.
I choose to listen to my inner voice,
not the random opinions of others.

-------

"My religion is kindness." -- the Dalai Lama

-------

Age is mind over matter; if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

-------

A friend is someone who reaches for your hand, but touches your heart ... <3

-------

Growing old is inevitable, but growing up is optional. ;)

-------

You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old.

-------

Remember, all things are possible for those who believe!

-------

Love doesn't make the world go round, but it sure makes the ride worthwhile ... :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-16-2012, 09:48 PM
I have read that it is helpful for us to make a positive "FOOD TAPE" -- a tape or file with positive affirmations and thoughts that heal. You listen to the tape before you sleep; or just read it, if you don't have a tape recorder or mp3 player. Here is my list; you may find this helpful ...

* My Food Tape * positive statements for change:

-- Today is the best day for success
-- eat healthy today; you are worth it
-- I am improving the quality of my life
-- I am taking good care of my body & my health
-- I am committed to living better

-- Know & respect your food history
-- to gain control & prevent binging
-- which is really self-sabotage
-- history reveals triggers & patterns
-- but patterns can be mastered
-- find substitutes for trigger foods

-- If you don't buy it; you won't eat it
-- let no food tell you what to do
-- what's not in my kitchen is not on my hips
-- I am choosing the best foods for me
-- eating well makes me feel well

-- Monitoring is being aware
-- scheduling aides commitment
-- I'm planning to stay on plan
-- I allow no excuses ...
-- preparation prevents problems

-- I have a doable plan
-- less is more
-- keep it simple
-- limit variety
-- live the vision

-- I am taking small steps
-- just one-day-at-a-time
-- I am making positive changes
-- I am learning from past mistakes
-- I have only a few patterns to master

-- Don't give up, no matter what
-- quitting is not an option
-- keep diggin' & tryin' & fightin'
-- just keep on, keepin' on ...
-- I am making headway every day

THINK STRATEGY ...

-- My strategies give power to possibility
-- eating it all doesn't make you happy, just heavy
-- foods don't solve problems; solutions do
-- don't eat your feelings: feel your feelings
-- eating less makes me feel lighter

-- Avoiding temptation is easier than fighting it
-- eating smaller servings leaves more room
-- smaller servings have less calories
-- less food in smaller plates & bowls
-- leads to better weight control

-- What you did in the past didn't work for you
-- so make changes, so the future will
-- ask what is my history with this food
-- or even this type of food, first
-- then decide whether you should eat it or not

-- Watch out for trigger foods: junkies/salty nuts/sweets
-- trigger behaviors: boredom/keep busy; emotions/manage them
-- trigger situations: holidays, parties, trips/plan ahead
-- trigger times: afternoon and evening/be prepared
-- trigger temptations: little bits = slippery slopes

-- Be food-wise
-- don't miss a meal
-- don't mindlessly munch
-- pre-measure servings
-- substitute & switch

-- You cannot do what you have always done
-- and expect a different result ...
-- instead of eating foods for comfort
-- eat foods that make you feel good afterwards
-- like fruit, fiber, vegetables, and low-fat dairy

-- Order smaller servings or split a meal
-- use a fork & knife to eat pizza (or finger foods)
-- have tomato juice or V-8 instead of alcohol
-- munch vegetable sticks instead of junk
-- prepare a bag of these to go with you

-- You are smarter than food
-- commitment reigns over motivation
-- awareness destroys complacency
-- your strategies will save the day
-- happiness is a better reward

-- Savor the foods you love
-- and be a selective gourmet
-- healthize your favorite dishes
-- working towards life enhancement
-- achieving my highest goals

-- It's not about good or bad
-- it's not about right or wrong
-- it's not even all about you
-- it's about finding strategies
-- that will go to work for you

-- I deserve to be healthy & comfortable
-- I have overcome so much in my life already
-- I am strong & smart & in control
-- I am decided & determined to succeed
-- Persist & Persevere to win the prize

-- I will not waver through the stages
-- I understand the process: the ups & downs & flats
-- I know this is a continuous process
-- a magnificent journey of life lessons
-- and a marathon for long-term health

-- YOU are a Winner & an Achiever & an Overcomer
-- and remember, when all is said & done
-- that this one thing remains true ...
-- ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE, with GOD; and,
-- I CAN do all things through Christ who strengthens me
@ Philippians 4:13

mrslosingit
03-17-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm a emotioal eater myself

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-17-2012, 08:32 PM
:welcome: You are not alone in that department; so so many of us are emotional-response eaters, but we can learn to manage them better with some strategies, practice, and time ... :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-21-2012, 01:41 PM
* LIFE ISSUES -- That Affect Our Emotions *

The Life Issues I want to talk about are the relationships and circumstances that come up that affect our emotional well-being -- especially the ones that cause us to turn to food for comfort.

Issues like our personal relationships with our spouses, our children, our families, friends, neighbours, and co-workers. These groups affect us more than any others, and often on a daily basis. Sometimes, they are a cause of anxiety, worry, sadness (depression), and a lot of on-going stress.

One of the biggest mistakes we can make is to ignore the effect that our personal relationships have on our well-being. As Dr. Phil likes to say, "Self Matters". However, too often women (and some men) put their happiness & well-being BEHIND that of their spouses, children, and families. This can be a huge & very costly mistake, especially for our health.

Women in our society have been raised to be "nurturers" and have been socialized to fulfill that role. Many times they stay in that position simply because it is necessary for their family life to work well. Often women are the "glue" that holds the family structure together; and without them, it would tumble to pieces.

I often hear women saying that they are depressed, discouraged, tired, anxious, worried, and stressed. Then they admit that they know that this is causing them to eat and live in an unhealthy way, but they don't do anything to change their circumstances, then they ask why they can't get better.

They ask, "What's wrong with me?" Or, "What am I doing wrong?" Really there isn't anything wrong with them -- they just haven't learned the life skills that they need to deal with all of these stressors. They haven't learned how to "manage" their emotions.

Not only do you have to learn how to manage your emotions better, but you also have to be willing to make the necessary changes in your life so that you can remove the harmful stressors out of your life for good. Now, life will always have stress, but you can make a difference in how much you have, and for how long.

For instance, many people hide the fact that they are in unhappy and/or abusive relationships until they get out. They try & try to "fix it" themselves; and some may even get some counselling, but sometimes that is just not enough. They end up just accepting "their fate" to become perpetual door mats; or they stay until they get sick, or become angry & bitter, or feel hopeless.

SO, WHAT ARE THE SOLUTIONS?

Many times you can make enough changes to salvage the relationship and/or marriage. It may mean just standing up for yourself more. It may mean demanding a say in how money is managed and dispersed. It may mean getting a job to help out, or to make sure you have some spending money of your own, or to improve your standard of living. It may mean learning how to negotiate your way around the marriage much like you might a business contract -- how to bargain & compromise.

It may mean learning a new way to communicate. It may mean that you need some counselling together or apart, if needs be (as some partners refuse to go to counselling); but some help is better than doing nothing. It may mean limiting the time you spend with difficult people (i.e. inlaws). It may mean making new friends. It may mean changing the church you go to, or the clubs you belong to.

It may mean taking a rest or a vacation. It may mean changing your priorities. It may mean downsizing. It may mean changing your lifestyle choices. It may mean getting help. It may mean learning how to sew or cook (i.e. as in taking lessons or classes).

And sometimes, you may have to make bigger changes like moving or changing jobs or going back to school, but these kinds of changes are well worth the bother in the long run. Plus, seek out solutions to your problems that doesn't involve food. Don't be afraid to ask others for advice & help whenever you need it, even if you have to pay for it (i.e. personal financial advice: don't forget that many banks offer this service for FREE to their customers). Often you can find answers over the net, also for FREE: the only cost is the "time" you spend to find it.

TO SUM UP ...

This is why some people can't seem to manage their emotions -- simply because they are not managing the stressors that are causing the emotional upsets in the first place. Some people may need counselling -- such as CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy); or one that focuses specifically on their emotional responses to people and life situations, like EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques; google it).

Regardless of what your issues are, do something -- do whatever you need to do to make yourself happier and your life better. Yes, it is true that some things can't be changed (like other people), but do what you can. If nothing else, you can at least change how you respond to difficult people and tough situations. That's a good start, and can make a world of difference.:)

aleigh3890
05-03-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm sitting here in tears...

I've been struggling with emotional eating, binge eating and purging for 10 years. 2 1/2 years ago I came to Christ, and though my life has changed in so many wonderful ways, I've still battled these food issues daily.

I've been feeling so defeated, so removed from myself and out of control. I've tried countless ways to fight the temptations and depression that follows.

I've recently been feeling far from my faith and overwhelmed by my struggles, but reading this post had reignited it all! I know that through Him all things are possible!

I need only to lean on Him to get through this! Thanks you all for your wonderful words, being able to read them is a true blessing and inspiration <3

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-03-2012, 07:52 PM
:hug:ALEIGH ~ hello, from a former binger here ... we sure know how you feel! I'm glad that you find this thread helpful. Will send up some ^prayers^ for you too that the LORD will help you get the victory over your emotions and heal the stresses that cause problems for you. Yes, with GOD all things are possible!!!

RE: BINGING & PURGING ~ People binge for three basic reasons --
1) you are just truly hungry [i.e. from skipping meals, eating too little, or lacking nutrients]; 2) you are stuffing your emotions & eating your feelings; 3) you are re-acting to stress in your life.

People purge becuz they are trying to undo their binging -- they are trying to correct their mistakes the wrong way. The purging will stop when you stop punishing yourself; and, when you FORGIVE yourself for not being perfect. You need to re-learn how to love yourself, accept yourself, and forgive yourself for being human.

You do this by accepting GOD's Love into your heart and life; and by acknowledging His acceptance of you (for He loves you just as you are); and by allowing His forgiveness to heal you (claim His mercy & grace in your life).

Also, don't try to deal with this all by yourself ... ask JESUS for strength and wisdom how to avoid temptations (not fight them). He handled them with scriptures, prayer, praize, and thanksgiving. To get away from stress -- JESUS would go somewhere peaceful and quiet (into the mountains, by or on the sea, or to gardens). Ask the Holy Spirit for power and self-control; let Him help you.

Ask GOD to show you what stressors you can change, and how to do that. Then ask him to show you the things you can just learn how to re-act to better, and how. I did what I call "a life inventory" to see what I needed to change. It does take some time, but with practice -- you can get better and better as time goes by. Here's one of my most favorite prayers ...

THE SERENITY PRAYER

GOD grant me the Serenity ...
to accept the things I cannot change --
The Courage, to change the things I can
and the Wisdom, to know the difference ... :D

CurvyNerd
06-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Thank you so much for starting this thread. I really needed to hear the things that have been said here.

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-18-2012, 04:29 PM
CURVY ~ you're quite welcome; I re-read this thread every now & then as well, just to make sure I am focusing on the right things. Today, I came across another Mantra that I had in another file that I thought was so fitting for this thread ...

"TO REACT IS NEGATIVE -- BUT TO RESPOND IS POSITIVE"

Don't react to stress or problems or people by eating; instead, look for a positive solution, and find a way to de-activate the stress that you are facing at this moment.

Sure needed this reminder right now -- we've had a stressful day here today. Thank the LORD, I just came in here; so I have been singing worship songs and did not turn to food. What a wonderful victory that truly is ... :D

treadmiler
06-18-2012, 08:06 PM
We lose our way, we get back up again
It's never too late to get back up again
Get up, get up, you're gonna shine again
You may be knocked down but not out forever

- TobyMac

Justwant2Bhealthy
08-09-2012, 03:56 PM
We lose our way, we get back up again
It's never too late to get back up again
Get up, get up, you're gonna shine again
You may be knocked down but not out forever

- TobyMac

Thanks for that reminder, TREADMILER. That is so true. No matter what life throws at us, we can get back up and shine again! :D

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-01-2012, 04:07 PM
* EMOTIONAL EATING HEALING PRAYER *

I wanted to add something here that would be a simple prayer related to this thread, and this is what came to mind ...

DEAR FATHER,

We thank you for this glorious day ...
and the many Blessings you've sent our way
We thank you for your Wisdom to help us make
the very best choices for how we live each day ...
We thank you for Strength to be moderate in our eating
yet liberal, in our good fitness habits, along the way
We thank you for your kind mercy and amazing grace ...
and for your complete Love and Acceptance, in faith
We thank you for continued guidance in this healing journey
so that we may enjoy good health once again, and for always ...

In Jesus' name, Amen & Amen!

I like to pray this each day, as I think it covers everything that we are trying to accomplish here; and I have found that with time and practice -- I am healing, and am now managing my emotions in a much, much healthier way. :D

FLSonShineGirl
10-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Thank you for sharing these treasures and truths from the Bible, Rosebud!

Paula

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-04-2012, 09:11 PM
There is nothing more beautiful than knowing your worth!!!

Here's some good tips from BEGINME that I wanted to share with you all ...

Emotionally:
1. Accept and love yourself as and where you are. Your size doesn't equate to your value as a person.
2. Stop beating yourself up. It doesn't matter how/why you got here, only what you do to get out of here.
3. Be patient with yourself. The journey is long and arduous, but you're worth it!
4. Stop living in the past.....and in the future. We can only act in this moment.
5. Realize that this won't be any easier tomorrow or after the holidays or after your job settles down or after the kids are grown or after your husband (whatever).......realize that tomorrow never comes. So, live for today!
6. Accept that your choices must change and that it won't be easy, but that you CAN do it.
7. Realize that there are no failures, only slow successes.
8. Lastly, don't listen to those in your life who don't support your goals...whatever they may be.

Plus, I would add that being AWARE of when and why you eat is so very important, so JOURNALING can help you pin-point trends & triggers along the way. Then you can find some alternate strategies to use instead of turning to food to manage your emotions. Over time, and with practice -- it will become easier and the rewards are great ... :D

PAULA ~ your welcome; it is my pleasure, really ... :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Here are some wonderful tips posted by another member that I think were/are very helpful for the emotional, mental, and spiritual side of this WL (weight-loss) or Back2goodhealth journey that we are all on.

I have already mentioned some in this thread, and I have expounded upon them a bit for clarification as well. Some remind me of some of the Beck solutions as well. I thought it would be helpful to add them in here too ...

1. Use foods that love your body [and foods that you love too].
2. Start moving -- it helps with longevity, brain function, and depression. [It is known that exercise of any kind invigorates and heals].
3. Start a daily practice -- make them value-aligned intentions: visualizations, meditations, prayers, affirmations, or daily acts of gratitude.
4. Appreciate your body [and take time to pamper it].
5. Learn the new math of beauty ideals. (The average woman is 5'4" and 140 pounds. A model is 5'11" and 117 pounds. Our beauty ideals are totally warped.) [Re-think your goals and be realistic.]
6. Stop negative talk. [So very, very important for peace of mind & happiness & success]
7. Start loving yourself [and treat yourself kindly].
8. Ask loving questions [focus on the positive].
9. Maintain loving connections in your life (Woohoo! Check! One down...I found 3FC!) [esp loving & nurturing relationships]
10. Eliminate excuses [self-sabotage].
11. Alter your beliefs if need be [some of your beliefs may need changing].
12. Turn to higher source thinking [spiritual renewal].
13. Offer forgiveness to others and yourself [forgiveness heals].
14. Treat yourself kindly every day ... :hug:

We all deserve and are worthy of the best that this life has to offer. Take advantage of all you can, but most of all -- enjoy yourself, your family, and your life as much as possible -- NOW!!!

Lisarsmiles
02-19-2013, 11:32 AM
So many of us have similar stories of turning to food as an emotional response ... that's my vice. I appreciate the reminders and encouragements here!

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-21-2013, 10:14 AM
THANKS, LISA ~ glad that you find it helpful!

I added this lovely song to the first page of this thread, and here again, as a new post, as it has a special meaning for me; and it is fast becoming a mantra song for me. It is called "BEAUTIFUL" -- and I want you to listen to it, until you believe it!!!

Here's the link ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_fXEnlgiI

The reason I think this song is so important is that so many of us have damaged self-esteems and that has contributed to, and interferred with our weight-loss journey in many ways. We have inferiority complexes and insecurities based on how we look and feel about ourselves; some of it is real, and some of it may seem exaggerated after years of abuse (whatever kind). I know that I was verbally abused with name-calling and teasing and laughing about my weight/size, esp about the size of my belly which ironically, turned out to be a 100 lb tumor that was removed recently.

Regardless, that left its mark on my psyche over the years and I felt very insecure about my appearance -- so much so that I would feel anxious and stressed whenever I had to leave the comfort of my home, even just to go for a walk around the block. My strategy was to go for walks after dark so I could feel less conspicuous -- whatever works, ya know. So, I have also been learning how to realize all my "true worth" -- about all the many wonderful qualities that I have, on the inside and out.

I always tell people here that "YOU ARE WORTH MORE THAN THE SUM OF YOUR WEIGHT!" And like this song says, "We are worth more than all of this" -- that is, whatever we are going through at any given moment in our lives, no matter what the challenge is (which includes our appearance & weight).

We all need to learn how to love ourselves again; with that special kind of "agape" love that GOD and our LORD JESUS CHRIST have for us. He said, "I HAVE LOVED YOU WITH AN EVERLASTING LOVE" in Jeremiah 31:3.

Remember that GOD does not look upon appearances, but what is on the inside ... 1 Samuel 16:7 "... for the LORD sees not how a man sees; for man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks upon the heart."

And in LUKE 12:7, "... but the very hairs on your head are numbered. Fear not therefore: You are of more value than many sparrows." This speaks about value/worth, and the hairs on our head being numbered -- that is esp significant to me as my hair falls out from chemo right now, but GOD has granted me peace about this, and I KNOW that they will grow back in even more beautiful than before! :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-14-2013, 08:32 PM
I found this lovely, positive song and wanted to share it with you all in this thread. I was just answering another poster about how we need to love ourselves like GOD does. GOD LOVES US -- just the way we are.

And while I'm sure He wouldn't mind if we try to improve ourselves with better lifestyle choices, I don't think He wants us to berate ourselves with our words & thoughts & actions to achieve that. It is a far better thing to love yourself so that you can heal; and to like yourself enough to make good choices instead.

So the next time life gets you down, listen to this song and remember ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSIVjjY8Ou8&NR=1&feature=endscreen

And here's the lyric version so that you can sing along and be filled with joy ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p396zDTE_bs

NOTE: here's another song that says it very clearly -- JUST THE WAY YOU ARE by Bruno Mars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM5GNZR0szE

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-16-2013, 02:35 PM
I posted this song called "Turn Your Eyes Upon JESUS -- look up" in the prayer warrior's thread but I found that it really helped lift my spirits at this time when we have been facing a lot of stress. So I will post it in here as well ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBfHUrLGzNY

Speaking of STRESS -- here is a list of ways to deal with everyday stress that my BIL shared with me, that I thought you all might find helpful (I have modified some for clarity & variety as well). Besides praying, praising, meditating on scripture & listening to uplifting music, here are some more great practical tips ...

101 WAYS TO COPE WITH STRESS ~

1. get up 15 minutes earlier each day; to enjoy the quiet of the morning
2. prepare for the morning, the evening before -- I use this one
3. avoid tight fitting clothes -- think comfort
4. avoid relying on chemical aids -- go natural
5. set up appointments ahead of time
6. don't rely on memory -- write it down
7. practice preventative maintenance -- good one
8. make duplicate spare keys for home & vehicles (carry one in your wallet/purse)
9. practice saying "NO" more often
10. reset the priorities in your life
11. avoid negative people; and news, shows, movies, books, etc.
12. arrange & use time more wisely
13. simplify your meal times; chuck the rules & eat light
14. always make copies of important papers & put them in a handy place
15. anticipate your needs; plan ahead
16. repair anything that doesn't work properly
17. ask for help with any jobs you don't like or find difficult
18. break large tasks down into a few small ones; do one at a time
19. look at problems as challenges
20. look for opportunities in those challenges
21. unclutter your life; start with one room in your home
22. smile & laugh more often
23. walk/dance in the rain: have a raincoat & umbrella handy & enjoy it!
24. tickle or play or sing with a baby or children: to bring out your inner child
25. pet a friendly pet: dog or cat
26. don't pretend to know all the answers
27. look for a silver lining in every situation
28. say something nice to someone: you'll make their day
29. volunteer at a local shelter or food bank
30. make angels in the snow; enjoy all seasons
31. schedule some play time into every day
32. take a long bubble bath (or shower or swim; whatever you love)
33. be aware of the decisions you make; take time to think about them
34. believe in yourself -- you CAN do anything!
35. stop saying negative things to/about yourself
36. visualize yourself winning in life
37. develop your sense of humor
38. stop thinking tomorrow will be a better day: how about today?
39. have/set new goals for yourself
40. dance a jig or learn a new dance
41. say "hello" to a stranger; you may make a friend
42. ask a friend for a hug; or give one
43. look up at the stars and enjoy their beauty; seek out formations
44. practice slow breathing; esp good for anxious moments
45. learn to whistle or hum a favorite tune
46. read an uplifting poem
47. listen to a symphony; or watch a ballet or a play
48. start a gratitude journal; and count your blessings every day!
49. read a positive story curled up in bed
50. do something new; something you've always want to do
51. stop a bad habit; and create a new one
52. buy yourself a flower(s) or a plant
53. take time to smell the flowers; and look at them too!
54. seek out support from others
55. ask someone to be your "venting partner"
56. do something different today
57. work at being more cheerful & optimistic
58. always put your safety first; do what needs to be done
59. do everything in moderation; avoid extremes
60. pay attention to your appearance; give yourself a manicure/pedicure
61. strive for excellence, not perfection
62. stretch your limits a little each day
63. look at a work of art; go to a local museum/gallery
64. sing a favorite jingle/song
65. try to just maintain your weight
66. plant a tree or a flowering plant or bush
67. feed the birds and watch their antics
68. practice grace under pressure; role-play ahead of time
69. stand up and do some gentle stretches
70. always have a plan "B" for every event or situation
71. learn a new doodle; take up drawing/or a new hobby
72. memorize a new joke or funny story (keep it simple)
73. be responsible for your feelings; and learn to manage them better
74. be sure to meet your own needs: don't neglect yourself
75. become a good listener ...
76. know your limits; and tell others too
77. tell someone to have a good day
78. make & throw a paper airplane; or learn a new craft
79. exercise every single day; at least a little bit
80. learn the words to a new song or write one
81. get to work earlier (in a job or tasks for the day)
82. clean out a closet or some drawers
83. get involved with a favorite organization/cause; or join a club/group
84. go on a picnic to a local park or beach
85. take a different route to work; and walk, if possible
86. leave work early, if possible; and do something fun like stop at a local café
87. put air freshener in your car or flowers in your home
88. watch a fun movie and eat popcorn
89. write a note to a far-away friend
90. go to a ball or hockey game and scream/cheer loudly
91. cook a favorite meal & eat it by candlelight
92. recognize the importance of unconditional love for others & yourself
93. remember that stress can be an attitude; so think positive
94. keep a journal/blog; and rant away ...
95. learn to forgive yourself & others
96. remember that you ALWAYS have options
97. create a support network of people, groups, places, and things
98. don't try to fix other people; let it be ...
99. be sure to get enough sleep each day
100. Know that there is a solution to every problem; find it!
101. freely praise other people; and yourself!

PS ~ remember to relax; take each day at a time; live between the steps (seize the opportunities); and since you have the rest of your life to live ... you might as well enjoy it!!!

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-18-2013, 06:38 PM
*** YOU ARE WANTED and YOU ARE LOVED ***

I have inserted two very meaningful songs at the end of this thread for a very good reason. There are many people who have deeper emotional issues that contribute to their weight-gain that may be very personal, yet real, nevertheless ...

These IDENTITY ISSUES have damaged their self-esteem in a very detrimental way (negative). The suffering, pain, and abuse they have endured by family, and society at large can last their whole lives and affects every area of their lives.

People that were born out of wedlock, children of rape or incest; those who have suffered abuse of all kinds, or come from very dysfunctional families; people with mental challenges or mental illnesses; people with disabilities or debilitating illnesses (like HIV or leprosy); overweight or obese people; people of different races; the poor & homeless; alcoholics, drug addicts, prostitutes, etc -- any person considered different can become a misfit, or an outcast.

And, this is not an exhaustive list by any means. There are many more that we all know of: any person or group that is a fringe minority or falls into the cracks of society. Anyone that is different. Anyone that doesn't fit in. The consequences are huge -- they are mocked, laughed at, teased, abused, rejected, cheated, neglected, abandoned, and forgotten. They often don't achieve the optimum potential they are capable of without some extra love and practical help.

As Christians, we are called to LOVE THEM, and share GOD's GRACE and GIFT OF SALVATION with them. Also, He would like us to befriend and help them in any way we can. One way is to accept and love them just as they are -- just as GOD does. Another is to help them heal; and help them overcome. Help them do the best they can, and help them be the best they can be.

Weight issues are just one symptom of these underlying emotional issues that can be healed. When they are managed and healed, I really believe the WL issues can be healed too. I call all these people GOD'S WILDFLOWERS becuz HE sent them here, and in HIS EYES they are all beautiful just like all the wildflowers are ... isn't it interesting that some folks find wildflowers a pest and mow them down. We like to pick them and let them beautify our homes.

Also, there is a very good reason they are here. They are here to teach us all SPIRITUAL LESSONS in compassion and mercy and love. WE are being tested and taught to be better people, and a better society, and a better nation, and a better world, when we learn that GOD wants equality for all HIS children/people. So, where do we start? We start with one person, in the here and now.

It is said that if you want to change the world -- start with yourself; then I would add, just help one more person, then one more and so on ... So start loving yourself, then others too; so you and they can all heal.

These are for all GOD'S WILDFLOWERS ... enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zarimIztNUM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBSwA8pMgrA

NOTE: here is a lovely video that was created as a beautiful message from GOD that I found very positive and uplifting. I hope you do too, and that you will share it with your loved ones and friends, and anyone else that you would like to share GOD'S Love & Hope with today ... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpSE3eZTCNo

PigglyWiggly
06-27-2013, 03:28 PM
I want to thank you so much for posting that. I just signed up and this was the first post I read. I was curious if, with your permission, I could turn it into a document and share it with some of my friends and family on fb?

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-27-2013, 11:20 PM
WIGGLY -- yes, you may share it; that is why I wrote it. If it can help even one person feel better about themselves, it was worth posting ... :D

PigglyWiggly
06-28-2013, 02:47 AM
JUSTWANT - I really believe the Lord sent me to your page. Something happened not too long after I read your post... and my stress levels went through the roof. (like... I-Want-A-Divorce high)... I took off for some alone time and parts of your post kept coming back to me... and it really made all the difference... I had some pretty nasty (yet funny) plans for my husband and some of his property when I got home... but your wisdom prevailed. I had left in tears, and by the time I had returned home... I was laughing and singing praises. Thank you again so much for this post ... it was applicable even when food was unavailable.

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-28-2013, 03:43 PM
:hug: WIGGLY -- I'm glad that you found it helpful in your stressful situation; I know these tips sure have helped me through a lot of very stressful things in my life lately. Will pray for added strength and wisdom for you too.

MrsKevin
09-04-2013, 01:17 PM
:angel: :angel: :angel:
Dear Rosebud,

What a lovely and meaningful reminder of God's Love for us all.

Thank you for being my Sister in Christ Jesus,
MrsKevin

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-04-2013, 03:13 PM
YOUR QUITE WELCOME and I am so glad to have another sister in Christ. You have made my day -- it is so nice to know that my experiences are helping others in some way. Sometimes, I wish I could do more; then I come in here and I hear from people like yourself, and it makes all the time and effort so worth it.

I ask GOD every day to rain down His Love upon His children, and our family & friends as well. I wouldn't have done so well in this life if it hadn't been for the fact that I know that GOD loves me so very much. :hug:

GoodByeFifty
09-07-2013, 05:52 PM
This is one of my biggest setbacks, emotional eating! Usually I end up eating all the wrong kinds of food, then I go over my calorie limit that makes me feel like I'm failing. Vicious cycle!

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-07-2013, 06:13 PM
This is one of my biggest setbacks, emotional eating! Usually I end up eating all the wrong kinds of food, then I go over my calorie limit that makes me feel like I'm failing. Vicious cycle!

Yes, this is a common issue for many people, but I do believe you can manage it better with practice. I slipped up twice last month (both were stress/emotion induced) but I just kept going and did well for the rest of the month. I think that is key; push away those negative thoughts and say the opposite of whatever you are thinking. In this case: I AM A SUCCESS or I CAN SUCCEED!!!

I don't fret if I am over by a small amount but on those days that it is more, I try to learn from it and do better the next day. I look for strategies in what food choices I make (continue on or I may cut back just a tad); plus change how I RESPOND to the stress; and look for ways to get that stress out of my life permanently (if possible), or at least lessen it by some degree. There are solutions but we just have to be creative and look for them.

Those solutions can help us get out of the cycle ... :hug:

MORE TIPS: I try to change my focus when I am stressed or upset. Lately I have been going for walks and pushing myself to go a bit further each time. I noticed that this is helping me overcome some kinds of stresses. I pray and encourage myself as I am going along and that helps some too.

AS FOR FOOD CHOICES: here's one that really helps me a lot these days -- it is better to eat a sandwich or a bowl of cereal than a bag of junkies. The calorie and nutritional differences are huge; plus you will feel a lot more satisfied and you'll have no guilt to deal with later on.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-16-2013, 03:24 PM
I have been finding some great songs about loving ourselves on Youtube.com over the last while. Here's one that is really upbeat and fun ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YUfy58Gac4

You're worth more than GOLD by Britt Nicole

I really like this one as it talks about never giving up and reminding ourselves that we are indeed OVERCOMERS sung by Mandisa ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z29olPjFbqg

EDIT2ADD: I have a bunch of encouraging songs that I turn to that give my spirit a lift whenever I am under stress or just need boost. I like to listen to my favorites each night before I go to bed too, and I often find myself singing them in my sleep when I wake up during the night. The songs that I have been sharing in this thread & the PRAYER WARRIOR's Thread are my favorites, and help me the most. I find they help me focus on the positive, esp when I feel that I am being oppressed by some person or situation. I sing along with them and I am filled with GOD's Love and Peace once again.

IBelieveInMe2
09-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Rosebud, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, ideas, and journey with us! I have been struggling to get back on board with weight loss for years now, and ~ since I do have a very strong faith ~ I know that the only way I am going to do this is with God's help. The information you have shared is going to be so helpful to me on my journey toward a healthier self..... inside and out. I appreciate you taking the time to share and type out all of the information that is helpful to you. It will be helpful to me and many others! :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-30-2013, 09:15 PM
BELEIVEinME -- THANKS, I am so glad that the things I have learned through this WL journey will help others too. I'm still working hard at it; just came back from my walk. :D

seabiscuit
10-01-2013, 07:22 AM
This is a great thread. I love the Bible passages that others posted.

I would like to meet more Christians who share my faith, I am Episcopal. I go to my local church, although I have thought about trying a different church.

It's so nice to get to know all of you.

Take care,

Amy

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-02-2013, 10:20 PM
:welcome: AMY -- Thanks, glad you like the thread. Why don't you join us over in the new October 2013 CHRISTIAN ENCOURAGERS Thread; that is our monthly Christian Chat thread in this forum where our regulars hang out too ... :D

I am still using a lot of these tips each day to help me avoid emotional eating. Lately, I have used de-stressing techniques and they have help a lot. 1) keeping negative & toxic people out of your life; 2) going to bed earlier; 3) reading and saying positive scriptures; 4) reading praise Psalms; 5) singing and listening to positive music; 6) relaxation techniques 7) and clearing the mind of negative thoughts by repeating the name of JESUS like a mantra and/or singing a song about him; this really helps me the most.

ronni62
12-09-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm posting here for 2 reasons today:

First, our dear friend Rosebud has passed away this weekend after battling so strongly and optimistically with cancer. Because of this, I wanted to boost this thread so more could see it--her wisdom, knowledge, and spiritual insight is overwhelmingly apparent throughout this thread. She shared so much of herself, her faith, and God's word here and I wanted everyone to get another opportunity to be reminded of her wisdom and her leading us in God's word for strength against our emotional responses and our habits.

God blessed you, Rosebud (Dianne), and blessed us with you! I'll be needing your advice very much through these days of knowing you've gone ahead to be with our Savior. I'll be looking forward to the day I get to meet you in person.

Becky Quilts
12-09-2013, 02:30 PM
So sorry to hear about Dianne. I book marked this some time ago, it is a great thread. Thanks for sharing the news, ronni62.