Metabolic Research Center - Repeat Offender... needs advice.

View Full Version : Repeat Offender... needs advice.

daizy hotrocks
08-02-2010, 12:10 PM
I originally started MRC Last June. This weekend I weighed only 3 lbs down from my starting weight 14 months ago! I am very upset because of the amount of $$ I have spent doing this and feeling like a failure.

I have learned a ton in the last year. I am an emotional eater for one. I was also loosing a lot for my SO. I know I have to do it for me and me alone.

Just wanted to hear thoughts from others on this and get any advice anyone has.

I am restarting the yellow menu today (3rd start in 2 weeks) and want to just do it this time.

Help...

MGunz
08-02-2010, 12:19 PM
I am in the same boat. Started eating again with all the summer parties gained all but 6 lbs back within about one month's time. Starting back for good... No beer!! That has been on of the hardest tasks for me at all the summer outings and then i am starving all the next day and eat until there is no end. My goal stick to program and no acholic drinks...

MEEZOOGIRL
08-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Hi Daisy... I think I've restarted once a week all summer.. I do much better during the winter. I guess with summer I want to be out and about. I've only lost 6lbs since June. I am an emotional eater too.. It has been a real roller coaster for me.

I restarted (AGAIN) this morning.. I looked at the calender, and if I had stuck with the program, I'd be done in September. As it is, I'm not even 1/2 way. I feel like a failure everytime I eat something off program. I'm trying to not beat myself up. I'm going through a lot of stuff personally, but who isn't. It's really no excuse. I get frustrated and I want to eat.

I have no real advice.. Just take it one meal at a time. Don't blow a whole day for just one off program item. It's all about choices.. We choose to eat what we do. I'm trying to come up with something to not snack at night.. Suggestions anyone??

Good Luck!!! We all know the program works... We just need TO DO IT!!!!

RonnieAdl
08-02-2010, 04:57 PM
I am in the same boat with you gals.. I am on Menus made Easy and I am stuggling with this too.. I think my center is pretty much done with me.. I am under contract until October.. I see a therapist and she is gone until the beginning of October. I really need to stop with the compulsive eating. This is what we have figured out what is going on with me.. Now I need to get back on this plan and lose what I have gained back while I still can before October..

Ronnie ( I also feel like a loser) ;(

Hvnlymzic
08-02-2010, 05:25 PM
OK...I'm a repeat offender too...alot of us around here are, but don't let it get you down.

My first piece of advice is set small goals. Sure, I'd like to lose 100lbs, but thats not easily obtainable...so instead, I'm gonna say I wanna lose the 7 pounds it'll take me to get ot my next milestone...or an even smaller goal...I want to drink 100oz of water today. (which is today's goal). Be proud of small goals.

Start there and you'll get back into the hang of it. All of you have been successful on plan before, so set something obtainable...let yourself see that you can be successful and buckle down into it. It's not fun, it's not easy, but it's worth it.

shannysmomma
08-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Hvnlymzic is so right!!! We all need to make small goals because those are what gets us over the big hurdles when we meet them. We just have to train ourselves to think that way. I know all of us would like to lose it quickly, but we didn't gain this weight overnight!! It is going to take time & I know none of us like to hear that because we want it all gone instantly. By making the small goals we are more likely going to stay OP to meet them because they won't seem as out of reach as the bigger ones. I have 49.5 pounds to go by Nov. 1st until I reach my first "big" goal & I keep obsessing about it. I am making myself crazy over it, but I have to keep telling myself to take it 1 day at a time & not think so much about it or it may make me go OP....I don't want to mess this up either. So I make small goals for myself because I know I can meet those & it will get me closer to where I want to be. It doesn't seem so hard when I just focus that way!! Anyways, sorry about the rambling on. Good luck to you all. Just keep telling yourself that you can do it!!!

Cheriann
08-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Making smaller goals really helps, if I were to focus on my goal weight I think I would have given up a while ago...But breaking it down and thinking in terms of 5-10 pounds at a time it is so much easier. But most of all I look to the future, don't focus on what went wrong, acknowledge it but move forward. We all deserve to reach our goals but just take it one day, one breath, one step at a time. that's how I get through it!

daizy hotrocks
08-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks ladies!!!

I will take the advice on small goals. I did day 1 of CP5K today... yay me!! My other goals for today are to stay op and drink 100 oz of water.

Any one else want to list your short term goals here???

saycindy
08-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi,
Raising hand to being a repeat offender.

Current goal is to NOT eat after 7pm for 40 days. I do all my damage after dinner. Also to fit into my current tight clothes.

Staying on plan but not 100%. I am no longer on program officially as I'm not doing the drinks. I eat pretty much as the yellow sheet but add in more veggies, some salt and a little butter. I also have 1 cup of coffee a day with cream and 1 tsp sugar. I track my food on thedailyplate which really helps.

I joined the program in 07 with good results but eventually gained it back and then some. I was very active and very hungry so started eating more and then had a major event in my life. After continuing the center, not staying on plan, spending the money, damage to self esteem, I quit. I quit everything.

Today is all about slow and easy one goal at a time.

Goose
08-03-2010, 09:53 PM
I am in the same boat with you gals.. I am on Menus made Easy and I am stuggling with this too.. I think my center is pretty much done with me.. I am under contract until October.. I see a therapist and she is gone until the beginning of October. I really need to stop with the compulsive eating. This is what we have figured out what is going on with me.. Now I need to get back on this plan and lose what I have gained back while I still can before October..

Ronnie ( I also feel like a loser) ;(

Awwww, Ronnie. I'm in the same boat as you. Repeat offender feeling like a loser. I'll bet you haven't gained back as much as me...15 lbs. :(

RonnieAdl
08-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Awwww, Ronnie. I'm in the same boat as you. Repeat offender feeling like a loser. I'll bet you haven't gained back as much as me...15 lbs. :(

Well maybe not 15 but enough to make me mad! LOL. What I am wondering, is what makes some people successful on this plan, and others not so much? How come we only get so far then throw in the towel so to speak. We did so well when we first started for many months then it is like I guess it really isn't so important anymore, when it was real important and it brought us here.. I am looking to find out what changed when I got to my goal.. They do say it is easier to lose the weight than to maintain the loss. Mine is all about compulsion and obsession.. I spend more time fighting with myself when it would be so much easier to just do the right thing which for most isn't that hard.. Just need to get back to a place where it is important again.. sorry to write a novel here. Was just supposed to be a paper back! LOL. Nice to see you here again..

Ronnie

ladystarrider
08-04-2010, 07:18 AM
I've been playing really fast and loose with the program since late last week. Now I'm on vacation, and I needed to read this thread this morning! Thank you all. I sense that I may be headed in the wrong direction, and with 9 more days on the road, I need to reign it in, big time. I brought all my HNS with me, plus my melba, a box of bars and some shakes, but the restaurant meals are so difficult when they happen one right after another. Time to step it up!

MEEZOOGIRL
08-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Well maybe not 15 but enough to make me mad! LOL. What I am wondering, is what makes some people successful on this plan, and others not so much? How come we only get so far then throw in the towel so to speak. We did so well when we first started for many months then it is like I guess it really isn't so important anymore, when it was real important and it brought us here.. I am looking to find out what changed when I got to my goal.. They do say it is easier to lose the weight than to maintain the loss. Mine is all about compulsion and obsession.. I spend more time fighting with myself when it would be so much easier to just do the right thing which for most isn't that hard.. Just need to get back to a place where it is important again.. sorry to write a novel here. Was just supposed to be a paper back! LOL. Nice to see you here again..

Ronnie

Ronnie, I think it gets easy. We add a little there and there and still lose, so we keep adding stuff.. When we first started the plan, we were afraid to stray. At least for me. I kept to the plan 100% at first. Now I'm about 80% on a good day. I've tried this week to be 100% and I'm still not there. Is it the taste of the forbidden? How is the new program working?

This week I'm doing the Meta Balance. It seems to work better for me.

Summer is really hard for me. I live in Savannah.. it was 118 last week.. I want to eat ice cream, and not cook. It is so much easier during the winter..

wendinnc
08-04-2010, 01:37 PM
I've been playing really fast and loose with the program since late last week. Now I'm on vacation, and I needed to read this thread this morning! Thank you all. I sense that I may be headed in the wrong direction, and with 9 more days on the road, I need to reign it in, big time. I brought all my HNS with me, plus my melba, a box of bars and some shakes, but the restaurant meals are so difficult when they happen one right after another. Time to step it up!

Great time for you to check in..... you can do it!! Think of how happy you will be when you are home from vacation and have lost weight! :) Try and decide before you enter the restaurant that you will stick to plan and be the first to order so you are not tempted by what the others are going to eat. Drink lots and lots of water. It's all up to you.

RonnieAdl
08-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Ronnie, I think it gets easy. We add a little there and there and still lose, so we keep adding stuff.. When we first started the plan, we were afraid to stray. At least for me. I kept to the plan 100% at first. Now I'm about 80% on a good day. I've tried this week to be 100% and I'm still not there. Is it the taste of the forbidden? How is the new program working?

Summer is really hard for me. I live in Savannah.. it was 118 last week.. I want to eat ice cream, and not cook. It is so much easier during the winter..

You are right, when you first start and see the weight come off you are pretty diligent and really are into it, but then little tastes of this and that creep in and I know I started to play games with myself to see what I could get away with and not gain weight.. The Meals made Easy Plan is great.. I am supplementing it with sweets! So that is my big problem. The plan is great I am not ... I started with MRC a year ago to lose 50# and I am still here putting weight back on.. I should have been done and moved on last December. I havent' heard from my Center in two weeks.. I think they have given up on me.. I am on contract until October.. I would love to lose the rest of this weight and walk in there on the last day of my contract.. I hate to be in this position and my therapist is gone until the end of September.. grrrr...

Ronnie

hatethesweatpants
08-04-2010, 03:11 PM
havent' heard from my Center in two weeks.. I think they have given up on me.. I am on contract until October.. I would love to lose the rest of this weight and walk in there on the last day of my contract.. I hate to be in this position and my therapist is gone until the end of September.. grrrr...

Ronnie

Hey Ronnie,
Only YOU can do it. Not your therapist, not your center. Gotta look deep inside and find the answer that you know is there.

A word from the experienced,

shannysmomma
08-04-2010, 09:11 PM

MEEZOOGIRL I find that I do miss ice cream a lot & popsicles. What I like is blending the vanilla pudding HNS with diet rootbeer & ice. I make mine thick so I have to eat it with a spoon. Then I feel like I'm having ice cream.
I have been doing this for about 3 months now & in the beginning I was afraid to stray because I didn't know if I had it in me to stop so I chose to follow 100%. For some reason I do think about food that isn't OP & although I still am a bit afraid it isn't as much as it was in the beginning. I think it happens more often when I either tell myself I "can't" have it or someone else says I "can't" have it. I don't have a problem when I see others eat my favorite candy bar or something I really want. I also notice that I am wanting, not craving more foods that are not OP. I try to push all negative thoughts out of my head, but sometimes it is hard. Is there anything that anybody does if they get in that situation that helps?

RonnieAdl
08-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Hey Ronnie,
Only YOU can do it. Not your therapist, not your center. Gotta look deep inside and find the answer that you know is there.

A word from the experienced,

Debi, I know you are right.. I am fighting OCD right now and it is tough. I know what I need to do, but can't seem to do it. There has to be a way..

MEEZOOGIRL
08-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Debi, I know you are right.. I am fighting OCD right now and it is tough. I know what I need to do, but can't seem to do it. There has to be a way..

Ronnie.. Life sometimes gets in the way. You need to focus on what you need to focus on. If that's not MRC right now then it's ok. We can tell ourselves all the time that we know what to do but actually doing it is something else. Going through my divorce has not been fun.. there are days that I just can't focus on anything else. I know that eating does not make my problems go away.. I'm an emotional eater/ snacker. When I'm stressed, I want to eat. It almost becomes an obsession. I've had to recognize this and try and come up with alternatives. I try to not let myself get to hungry.. I eat a bar in the afternoon since I work 10 hour days. I do a bit Meta-Balance and a bit Meta-slim.

The center shouldn't give up on you. Hopefully when your thearapist comes back, you can work through some stuff.. Emotional/Mental eating is the hardest thing to conquer. Why do we eat what we do?

Life would be so much easier if we could just eat right.. but then we probably wouldn't be where we are if we did... I'm going to WI today and see if the scale is nice this week..

Shannysmom... that is a great idea.. I'm going to try that.. I love a good coke float/slushie.. I might try that with Diet Rite.. Thanks!

Hang in there... :hug:

hatethesweatpants
08-05-2010, 08:43 AM

:hug::hug: I hear you! You're right, there is a way and you have to just keep trying every single day to find it. One day, it will click! Just don't give up starting over each and every day. The OCD has to be extremely difficult to deal with. It reminds me of my daughter who is trying to work on an art project that's due the first day of school. The is obsessing about the small details in the very beginning. I asked her to look at it and do an overall sketch without working on the details until she's done with the big picture. I hope this helps her...would it help you? Maybe sit down and write a list of your big reasons and your big "whys." Write a paragraph or 2 about how you want to look, feel, and behave when you're finished with the program. Then, just start filling in the details.
Again, :hug:, you can do it!

champagneblond
08-08-2010, 03:07 AM
Oh girls...I am sitting here reading all these postings with tears running down my face. I started MRC in May of 2009 and lost 90 pounds by January of this year. I stayed on plan 100%. It works. But in January I had to have emergency surgery on my leg and have had 3 more since then. I have gained back 40 lbs...It comes back with a vengence and all around my mid section. I am so mad at myself, yet I continue to eat all those things I went without for 8 months. I want something to click in MY head to tell me to knock this s#&t off! I cannot wear any of the smaller clothes I bought...I am miserable. You would think that would be enough to get back on program. My center quit calling as well. I cannot afford to go back anyway right now. I know what to do...Just do it Marianne!!!! I will wipe the tears away and quit feeling sorry for myself now. Thanks for listening ladies.
Marianne

joanie830
08-08-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm a repeat offender. Reading this makes me feel a little bit better about myself. I start each day with the attitude that I'm going to start fresh and stay OP 100% but I'm never able to stay 100%.

I break down my weight loss goals into 10 pound increments, but it always seems like when I get close to those goals, I do things to sabotage myself. Crazy! Last week, I was 2 pounds from 30 pounds lost and then I start being sloppy with what I'm eating.

But.......I'm going to commit here to drinking my water and to doing MetaQuick for a few days to get myself back on track.

hatethesweatpants
08-08-2010, 10:44 PM
I'm a repeat offender. Reading this makes me feel a little bit better about myself. I start each day with the attitude that I'm going to start fresh and stay OP 100% but I'm never able to stay 100%.

I break down my weight loss goals into 10 pound increments, but it always seems like when I get close to those goals, I do things to sabotage myself. Crazy! Last week, I was 2 pounds from 30 pounds lost and then I start being sloppy with what I'm eating.

But.......I'm going to commit here to drinking my water and to doing MetaQuick for a few days to get myself back on track.

Just a thought...Metaquick makes me so hungry and distracted. I wonder if it might be better to just commit to eating on plan? I feel like Metaquick sets me up to fail, but I know others have great luck with it.
Best,

RonnieAdl
08-09-2010, 02:37 PM
At least we all know we are not alone in our struggles with weight. Each of us has our own issues and we just need to support each other as best we can.. This is a great group of folks and I appreciate each and every one of you!
Cheers!

Ronnie

daizy hotrocks
08-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Another thing... when we all do find something that helps us stay on track, share with the group. What can help for one could help another.

I am still struggling. I weighed in last week and was 1 lb down from my starting weight over a year ago. Talk about a blow! I am disappointed in myself because I KNOW this program. I am on the 5th round of connections classes with phase 1 and my first round of phase 2. I know the info I know what I should be doing, I know how it works and that it does work. I am just missing something right now... motivation, excitement, commitment, drive??? I dunno. GRRRRRRR!!!!!!

daizy hotrocks
08-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Just updated my thread... so depressing

Goose
08-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Oh girls...I am sitting here reading all these postings with tears running down my face. I started MRC in May of 2009 and lost 90 pounds by January of this year. I stayed on plan 100%. It works. But in January I had to have emergency surgery on my leg and have had 3 more since then. I have gained back 40 lbs...It comes back with a vengence and all around my mid section. I am so mad at myself, yet I continue to eat all those things I went without for 8 months. I want something to click in MY head to tell me to knock this s#&t off! I cannot wear any of the smaller clothes I bought...I am miserable. You would think that would be enough to get back on program. My center quit calling as well. I cannot afford to go back anyway right now. I know what to do...Just do it Marianne!!!! I will wipe the tears away and quit feeling sorry for myself now. Thanks for listening ladies.
Marianne

Marianne,
Your post greatly resonated with me! I'm in the same boat...I've gained back half of what I lost and I realize what I'm doing but yet feel powerless to stop. I had a crying session tonight over the situation; just feeling completely and totally overwhelmed that I've let myself get fat again. I swore that it would NOT happen; that I'd NEVER gain the weight back. Then my mom had a stroke and I just lost it. Dealing with my feelings by eating and drinking is not the answer and the only person in this world who can do anything about it is me. Tomorrow is another day; I'd be happy to be your weight loss buddy since it sounds like we are both struggling in similar ways. We can do this!
Jill

joanie830
08-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Another thing... when we all do find something that helps us stay on track, share with the group. What can help for one could help another.

I am still struggling. I weighed in last week and was 1 lb down from my starting weight over a year ago. Talk about a blow! I am disappointed in myself because I KNOW this program. I am on the 5th round of connections classes with phase 1 and my first round of phase 2. I know the info I know what I should be doing, I know how it works and that it does work. I am just missing something right now... motivation, excitement, commitment, drive??? I dunno. GRRRRRRR!!!!!!

I've been on program since the beginning of May but haven't gone to the Connections classes. It's mainly because I haven't taken the time. Do you think that it's helpful?

dkmd27
08-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Marianne,
Your post greatly resonated with me! I'm in the same boat...I've gained back half of what I lost and I realize what I'm doing but yet feel powerless to stop. I had a crying session tonight over the situation; just feeling completely and totally overwhelmed that I've let myself get fat again. I swore that it would NOT happen; that I'd NEVER gain the weight back. Jill

Hug to Jill and Marianne and others .... I feel pretty much the same way, constantly fighting the same fight is mentally exhausting ... all we can do is keep trying and not give up.

joanie830
08-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Just a thought...Metaquick makes me so hungry and distracted. I wonder if it might be better to just commit to eating on plan? I feel like Metaquick sets me up to fail, but I know others have great luck with it.
Best,

I didn't end up doing MetaQuick for a few days. I did it for one day and life happened. I think that's one of my biggest problems. It seems like we're on the run all the time with a lot of eating out. I get tired of salads and that's what causes me to cheat when eating out.

Goose
08-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Hug to Jill and Marianne and others .... I feel pretty much the same way, constantly fighting the same fight is mentally exhausting ... all we can do is keep trying and not give up.

Thanks Deb! You are right; same fight all the time and it is so tiring. Giving up is the worst thing we could do right now; time to keep on keeping on!:) I really hope this time will be different and that I can stay commited to getting off what I've put on. It seems like the determination and drive that was there to lose the weight in the beginning has disappeared. Sometimes I think that there's a comfort in my "fat" and that I don't worry as much over how I look as when I lost weight. After I lost the weight, I was constantly obsessing over every inch of my body and concentrating on everything wrong. When I was fat I didn't do that; I just accepted that I was fat. Since I've put some weight back on I've noticed that comfort level rising and that acceptance that I'm getting fat. That is definitely NOT a mindset that I need to get into again. Does this make sense? Anyone else experience this?

daizy hotrocks
08-10-2010, 10:57 AM
I've been on program since the beginning of May but haven't gone to the Connections classes. It's mainly because I haven't taken the time. Do you think that it's helpful?

Absolutely. I have learned so much in those classes. I know I am a food addict, I see those signs in my actions and reactions to things. The classes are great if you have a great instructor. Even if you don't, the information that you get is really great.

taytay
08-11-2010, 01:07 PM
I want say that for me, a third timer here!, I am vowing to remain patient and kind to myself regardless of what goes in my mouth or what the scale says. I recently read the books Oprah suggests by Geneen Roth and a lot she said applied to me and I realized I focus on my body image to feel happiness. "if I weighed this I would be happy" but when I fail or get off program I feel self hatred and think and say really negative things. So my point is I am not going to mentally put myself back in the vicious dieting cycle that has prevented me from being healthy and "normal" about food and eating. Best of luck to us all!!!!

RonnieAdl
08-11-2010, 11:09 PM
I think the worst thing I do is tell myself too many negative things. This is what I think defeats me.. It is real easy to slip into that mindset. When I find myself doing this, I try to think of more postive things to tell myself. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy!

Ronnie

champagneblond
08-12-2010, 04:11 AM
Marianne,
Your post greatly resonated with me! I'm in the same boat...I've gained back half of what I lost and I realize what I'm doing but yet feel powerless to stop. I had a crying session tonight over the situation; just feeling completely and totally overwhelmed that I've let myself get fat again. I swore that it would NOT happen; that I'd NEVER gain the weight back. Then my mom had a stroke and I just lost it. Dealing with my feelings by eating and drinking is not the answer and the only person in this world who can do anything about it is me. Tomorrow is another day; I'd be happy to be your weight loss buddy since it sounds like we are both struggling in similar ways. We can do this!
Jill
Hi Jill. It is funny that we sabotage our selves with food when we feel needy. I keep trying to tell myself to do other things when I feel the urge to stuff my face, but it isn't working very well. I too told myself I would never be as fat as I was when I started this program ever again. Well, I had better get it in gear or I will be back there. Maybe I should keep a journal and write down what I am feeling every time I want to eat something off program....I know what I am supposed to do, but I am not following it. I wake up each day and tell myself this is a new day and lets start today...By evening I have eaten something I shouldn't have. Then I figure what the ****....I know I can do this. I just have to get back to that mindset. And stay there. Let's get back to that mindset Jill. We CAN do it. We've been so successful with it before....Tomorrow is a new day...Chat with you soon weight loss buddy!
Marianne :cheer: