Old 08-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #1  
One pound at a time...

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/125

Height: 5'3"

Default Pilates?

My university's gym offers pilates classes for students, and I really want to try them. My only concern is that I'll be too big or too out of shape to do the exercises properly--most of the girls who go are the "gym bunnies" and sorority girls, and I certainly don't want to stick out like a sore thumb by being unable to keep up.

Do any of you do pilates currently? What have your experiences with it been? If it helps, I currently work out for an hour a day about 6 days a week...mostly cardio, like the elliptical or treadmill.
PlaygroundLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

I'm pretty big and I'll admit most of the advanced phases of the exercises are nearly impossible for beginners especially large ones. been doing it for about a month and i love it but i still do the beginners or intermediate versions of most of the poses and i still have yet to master a few of them. the important thing is to do the best you can at your level if you push yourself into an awkward pose your not ready for you could injure yourself. i suggest taking a beginners course or try not to worry about standing out and enjoy yourself.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #3  
155LBS LOST

S/C/G: 300/145/140

I've done pilates pretty much since the beginning of my weight loss journey (300lbs) and still incorporate pilate moves into my workouts today. I think its awesome and it has definitely helped me slim down. I agree with niafabo, start with a beginners course and see how you like it first.
JennieLovesKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #4  
One pound at a time...

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/125

Hmm...they don't offer different levels, just a general pilates class. Think I'll be okay?

Also, Jennie, I checked out your youtube channel and you look fabulous...I guess that means I should take the class
PlaygroundLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #5  
Dagny

S/C/G: 145/140.8/115

Height: 5'5"

Playground- is there a cost to sign up for it? Or can you try at least one class free to see if it's something you like?

I think it's best to try a class at least once first. It might be difficult in the beginning (I think any new class or activity is!) but not impossible. And, if the instructor is good, he/she will be aware of the different fitness levels in the class, and offer modifications for the moves as needed. If the instructor isn't willing to modify the moves to accommodate the various needs, it won't be worth it (in my opinion)

But- if it's a good instructor- then go for it! I started my fitness journey with pilates DVD's at home. I couldn't do all the moves in the beginning, and some of them I still struggle with (I am horribly inflexible! ) but I think it's a lot of fun and can be a great addition to a workout program.
Mommy in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote