100 lb. Club - When did the fashion industry start hating the hour glass?

Eliana
08-01-2010, 02:20 PM
It used to be the hour glass figure was sought after and desired. These days, the little boy figure is sought after. Or at least designers would have you think so.

I am more and more disgruntled with finding pants. This new "modern fit" is insane and it's everywhere. Yes, I know I can go online and shop for my pants, but you know...I'd like to try them on!

I used to think my problem was that I was fat and that suddenly shopping would become easier as I slimmed down. I'm now wearing a size 10 (depending on the store of course). I thought 10's would be the miracle size. But no...I still have hips. Oh, and I have breasts too! Can you imagine? And you know what else? I like my hips and breasts!

I suppose I could always fit the pants to my hips/thighs and then take in the waist, but gosh that gets expensive.

Rant over. :^:

calluna
08-01-2010, 02:23 PM
You make me laugh...I was thanking my lucky stars that fashion has changed to lower waistlines, as I have never been anything resembling an hourglass and for once I don't have either a super-tight waist or a really baggy butt and hips on my jeans. It's never easy, is it? I wonder if there is something morally reprehensible about accommodating more than one type of figure in the stores.

Eliana
08-01-2010, 02:25 PM
? I wonder if there is something morally reprehensible about accommodating more than one type of figure in the stores.

I know! Lands End does, but only online. They three different fits (modern, classic and something else) but they only carry modern in the store. :rolleyes:

Windchime
08-01-2010, 02:42 PM
My gripe is the boot-cut that is supposed to balance out our figures. (I'm an hour-glass, too). All the boot-cuts say "fitted through hip and thigh". Serious? I wear a 14 or 16. Do you really think I want my pants tight around my big thighs? Really?

Daimere
08-01-2010, 02:49 PM
I always thought I was weird cause I love my wider hips. I think it's more womanly. I was reading one weight loss book that was like, "most people want no butt, hips, huge boobs, etc" and I was like...not me.

Eliana
08-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I always thought I was weird cause I love my wider hips. I think it's more womanly. I was reading one weight loss book that was like, "most people want no butt, hips, huge boobs, etc" and I was like...not me.

Honestly, I've grown to like my hips and boobs. I did not like them as a healthy teenager. But I feel that is the message we send to young women. The optimal body shape is that of a little boy. The fact is...there is no optimal body shape. That's the joy of being a woman! We come in all different shapes, sizes and heights.

It's like finding shells on the seashore. How special would the be if they were all exactly the same?

caryesings
08-01-2010, 03:29 PM
The thing I find amusing about the boot cut is the argument that it's a better look to balance fuller hips and thighs. But every time this is demonstrated on a TV program or magazine article to me it just makes the hips and thighs appear worse to me because now they are the only fitted part of the bottom half. I've gotten very good at redesigning this style to straight leg on the transitional jeans I've been buying at the Goodwill store.

Windchime
08-01-2010, 03:45 PM
The thing I find amusing about the boot cut is the argument that it's a better look to balance fuller hips and thighs. But every time this is demonstrated on a TV program or magazine article to me it just makes the hips and thighs appear worse to me because now they are the only fitted part of the bottom half. I've gotten very good at redesigning this style to straight leg on the transitional jeans I've been buying at the Goodwill store.

I'd love to know your secret! Do you just take them in below the knees? I really like straight jeans--or I like them theoretically, because I can never find them. Everything that says "straight" (in my geographic area), is in reality tapered. I don't like that look either....wide at the hips and thighs, then cut close around the ankles so my big feet stick out. Yuck! LOL. I would pay money for nice jeans that fit well IF I could find them!

Elladorine
08-01-2010, 03:48 PM
I have no butt. :lol:

It's impossible to find jeans that fit me properly. I find a pair that fits around my stomach, and the butt and the upper half of my legs are extremely, horrendously baggy. If I were to find jeans that fit my legs and butt normally, there's no way the waist will go around me properly.

I guess it's the curse of being an apple. :p

lolcat
08-01-2010, 03:59 PM
That's really a bummer.... I am looking forward to shopping when I reach goal, but small or large, I'm an hourglass with some junk in the trunk. I hate shopping online too. Maybe when I hit goal they will have gotten the message and started making clothes for real people..... I can hope!
Also, have you noticed the lack of "hourglass" on the sites that plot your body type? It's all "apple" or "pear"..... sorry, people, we hourglasses are out here. At least the Jillian Michaels site recognizes that!

SilverLife
08-01-2010, 04:08 PM
The first anti-hourglass fashion mode that I know of was in the 1920's with the flapper era.

The next one I can think of just now, was the mid-1960s. Remember Twiggy?

Womanly curves are wonderful. You have to wonder about men who like women who don't look womanly.

The people who "dictate fashion" do not have the best interests of anyone but themselves in mind. And they are, certainly, not pro-woman.

Windchime
08-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Womanly curves are wonderful. You have to wonder about men who like women who don't look womanly.

Oh, I don't know if I'd go that far! There are plenty of manly men who like a slim-hipped, athletic girl. Just as there are plenty of manly men who like a pinup-girl figure, and plenty who prefer a plump, full figure. It's just a matter of taste, and I don't think it says anything about a man's masculinity.

ChunkyDunk78
08-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Clothing designers also apparently think every plus size person is pear shaped. Even though I am obese, I still have an hourglass figure (a gigantic one, but still that same shape). It annoys me when I am purchasing dresses, matching bra and panties, bathing suits, etc... The top is always way too tight (my boobs don't fit!) Ugh.

Justwant2Bhealthy
08-01-2010, 05:41 PM
OH, this is a big peeve of mine -- yes, it is now a "hunting" expedition to find clothes that fit these days ... and I will not wear the new style of cut--off at the hip pants they have out there today; and they are even taking over the PJ's now. :dizzy: And, don't get me started on the colors ... bleck!

Personally, all I see these days is our young girls and young ladies with their butts and bellies hanging out over their pants -- and it DOES NOT LOOK ATTRACTIVE ... well, to me anyways; but it does to the guys, I guess. ;)

Was in a hardware store recently, and a young lady bent over to look at something and no kidding ... her butt popped out of her pants -- and this man and his family were walking by and you should have seen the look of "shock" on his face (it expressed my thoughts exactly). The wife :rolleyes: and kiddies just kept on walking ... :rolleyes:

Same thing happened to a girl when she leaned to open a store door -- out popped the butt -- right in our faces; and the shocked man behind her "gasped" and said, "Whoah, you better hang on to your pants, little girl" or something close to that.

And I do, and will question a fashion industry that designs clothes that make our girls look like vamps and/or little boys -- what is that? Well, they are the big losers in the end, becuz of the millions of women who won't be spending their millions of $$$ on their clothes ... this is the best kind of protest -- walk with your $$$! :D

Matilda08
08-01-2010, 05:48 PM
I know what you mean, Im a curvy gal myself and its always hard to find pants that fit right. I too love my curves wouldnt trade them for the world!! I dont know I hope as I lose it gets a tad bit better because I love nice jeans lol

TJFitnessDiva
08-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I've gotten some Not Your Daughters jeans....I'm a hourglass & these are the only jeans I really like lol

lolcat
08-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Checked out the website.... I like the looks of the jeans, and I adore their tag line!!! :

""Not Your Daughter's Jeans” celebrates the beauty of women who know who they are and know that they don't need to impress anyone but themselves."

Athenacapella
08-01-2010, 07:48 PM
I have a huge butt and thighs, and a small waist in comparison. For now, Lane Bryant's "blue" line fits the bill -- but they virtually never have the blue in the store. You have to order it online.

I think Fashion Bug (owned by same company) might do the same thing? But I'm not sure.

We should not have to get clothes altered *sigh*

caryesings
08-01-2010, 08:23 PM
I'd love to know your secret! Do you just take them in below the knees? I really like straight jeans--or I like them theoretically, because I can never find them. Everything that says "straight" (in my geographic area), is in reality tapered. I don't like that look either....wide at the hips and thighs, then cut close around the ankles so my big feet stick out. Yuck! LOL. I would pay money for nice jeans that fit well IF I could find them!

Ok, first keep in mind these jeans are costing me only $5/pair so I can get pretty brave and don't have to worry about my rework holding up for very many washings as I'm changing sizes every few months. But here goes...

I cut along the inside seam at the ankle a few inches. One side of the cut seam has the original folded over, double jeans seam. The other side is just one thickness of denim that will now fray. Turn the pants inside out. Pull the potential frayed edge over the existing seam side as far as you can to get a square at the bottom of the pant instead of triangle. Pin and then roll the frayed edge at least at the bottom and then hand sew up that piece to the thicker piece (like a hem but sideways up the pant leg).

It won't be invisible if someone was carefully checking out the inside of your ankle (in fact I often end up with a bit of a bump where the seam stops), but you get rid of the flare that shows up from across the room.

Eliana
08-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Everything that says "straight" (in my geographic area), is in reality tapered. I don't like that look either....wide at the hips and thighs, then cut close around the ankles so my big feet stick out. Yuck! LOL. I would pay money for nice jeans that fit well IF I could find them!
Same here! I have yet to find the straight jean that is raved about on "What Not to Wear". Not only are they always tapered but they're also spandexed in at the knee! I don't really have fat knees until you bunch up the jeans around them. :dizzy:

Clothing designers also apparently think every plus size person is pear shaped. Even though I am obese, I still have an hourglass figure (a gigantic one, but still that same shape). It annoys me when I am purchasing dresses, matching bra and panties, bathing suits, etc... The top is always way too tight (my boobs don't fit!) Ugh.I've always been the same way. I was an obese hour glass. I've always had a relatively small waist compared the rest of me. My rear end got gigantic, but really not much fat went to the tummy.

I have a huge butt and thighs, and a small waist in comparison. For now, Lane Bryant's "blue" line fits the bill -- but they virtually never have the blue in the store. You have to order it online.

I think Fashion Bug (owned by same company) might do the same thing? But I'm not sure.

We should not have to get clothes altered *sigh*
I loved Lane Bryant! I was the blue line as well. Those pants fit me like no pants have fit me in years!! I may have to check out that line at Fashion Bug now. I'm pretty sure they carry the same line in smaller sizes.

Windchime
08-02-2010, 01:38 AM
Ok, first keep in mind these jeans are costing me only $5/pair so I can get pretty brave and don't have to worry about my rework holding up for very many washings as I'm changing sizes every few months. But here goes...

I cut along the inside seam at the ankle a few inches. One side of the cut seam has the original folded over, double jeans seam. The other side is just one thickness of denim that will now fray. Turn the pants inside out. Pull the potential frayed edge over the existing seam side as far as you can to get a square at the bottom of the pant instead of triangle. Pin and then roll the frayed edge at least at the bottom and then hand sew up that piece to the thicker piece (like a hem but sideways up the pant leg).

It won't be invisible if someone was carefully checking out the inside of your ankle (in fact I often end up with a bit of a bump where the seam stops), but you get rid of the flare that shows up from across the room.

Thanks! I will give this a try next time I have to buy a pair of boot-cuts which are way too bell-bottomy.

Ciao
08-02-2010, 01:56 AM
I get very frustrated when looking for
clothes. I tried on a beautiful dress and guess
what... I HAD BOOBS! Which is saying a lot
considering I have the tiniest boobs ever. But
apparently I needed smaller boobs to fit into
the dress (everything else was perfect)!

I also wear a size 6 in the waist but I have
a big booty (thanks mom!) so I have to get
a size 8 to fit around my bum or they don't fit
at all. It's so frustrating at times because I'm
NOT stick thin, nor do I want to be.

rachael
08-02-2010, 11:58 AM
The biggest issue I have/had with pants is the length. I am an average sized woman (5'6") and when I was at my thinnest (around 125), I couldn't find pants that were not highwaters. As I gained weight, I couldn't find pants that were not super duper long on me. Just because you're fatter does not mean that you have miraculously grown taller, too! And plus sized women are not all giantesses.

Eliana
08-02-2010, 01:42 PM
The biggest issue I have/had with pants is the length. I am an average sized woman (5'6") and when I was at my thinnest (around 125), I couldn't find pants that were not highwaters. As I gained weight, I couldn't find pants that were not super duper long on me. Just because you're fatter does not mean that you have miraculously grown taller, too! And plus sized women are not all giantesses.

Argh, me too! It's complicated with me bacause 5'4" is usually the cut off for petites. Petites are too short, regulars are too long and "fat pants"...way too long.

PinkHoodie
08-02-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm the odd ball...I LOVE flair pants...yeah I am living in the past. But I can blame my Dad! He is almost 70 and still wears flairs!!!
But I understand the angst about pants. I also am starting to turn into an hour glass as I am losing more weight. I'm only 27 though so I don't want to move over to the true women's clothes yet. Sometimes you want something more trendy and that is almost always in Juniors, and its amazing the size difference. Even when I was in High School (not to long ago) sizing seemed different....Very Frustrating. I am currently in Lane Bryants yellow jeans I love them. But I find clothes shopping and BRA shopping to be very frustrating...

ThicknPretty
08-02-2010, 03:42 PM
My personal pants issue: anything that fits me in the waist is too big in the butt and the legs. I've whittled my legs and booty away (sadly), but my waist IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE! :tantrum: Pants shopping is just a painful reminder of this...

Also...low rise jeans are the devil. I honestly think they would give me a muffin top no matter HOW skinny I got!

Arctic Mama
08-02-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm an hourglass and I LOVE my bootcut jeans. I do have to be careful because I am so short that the waists hit me at funky positions on occasion, but fitted through the butt and thighs and loose through the calf and downward is the ticket for me.

Some brands are definitely friendlier to me than others. It's all a matter of finding what flatters you!

rachael
08-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Juniors are definitelycut for straighter figures.

SarahD140
08-02-2010, 09:03 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my hourglass firgure!! Curvy comes and goes for fashion... Until its cool again, I guess we just have to be creative.

kuchick
08-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Ok, my issue is that as I lose weight, I lose it so unevenly that I'll be an hourglass one month, and a who knows what the next, then an hourglass, then a Huh?!:dizzy: I'm almost always an hourglass from the back, but less so from the front. So unless I want to enter all rooms backwards with my jeans unbuttoned, some of this had better come from my belly, or this isn't going to be pretty ;) My butt looks pretty good right now though - at least that's DH's opinion. That being said, I found some curvy fit jeans on clearance at Eddie Bauer, and they're working as goal jeans right now and seem to be proportioned about right.

Eliana
08-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Ah Kuchick, the image I am getting! LOL! My problem is the gap in the back of the pants, not the front! :rofl: And I'm different shapes every month too though apparently right now I'm the perfect hour glass. (hips and chest are the same and the waist is 9+ inches smaller). But sometimes the hips and chest will lose while the waist stays the same which makes me a rectangle.

Crestfallen
08-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Clothes shopping for me is a very bothersome task, when it really should be fun! I have found it very hard to find clothes that fit my figure and it's even more discouraging when you have to buy a larger size just so your curves can fit.

ChrissyBean
08-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I think the hourglass has been hated by designers for the longest time now.

I personally LOVE the lower-cut jeans because I'm high waisted. Your old-fashioned high waisted jeans make me look like a tool. I like the jeans at Old Navy and find they have a lot of rises to choose from. I don't like the super-low ones, but a nice mid-rise is lovely. I also like boot cut. ;)

saram
08-03-2010, 10:22 PM
I hate that clothes seem to be getting smaller. They say that Americans are getting fatter and fatter, yet designers are making clothes smaller and smaller! I have been a Lane Bryant shopper for 20 years and have noticed that in alot of their tops I have to go up a size or even 2 sizes sometimes. Why on earth would they make clothes for larger women smaller?!?!? That is just rude! I have some shirts from 5-6 years ago in 18/20 size that fit great or even too big, and now 18/20 shirts are too small. Why would they do this to us?

Apeyness
08-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Wow! I had this problem the last 3 times I've been shopping! Can NOT find anything to fit both my hips and waist! Horrible! Urrgghh Kinda glad I'm not the only one suffering and here I thought it was all in my head! LMAO :)

Windchime
08-03-2010, 10:32 PM
My problem is the gap in the back of the pants, not the front! \

Yep, this is my problem too. And I really don't hate all bootcuts; some are fine. It's just the ones that are skin-tight through the butt and thighs (but gaping at the waist) that I don't like. Add to that the problem of being really tall, so it's hard to find something long enough. I'd LOVE to know where everyone is finding all these pants that are way too long....they might be just right for me! LOL