Whole Foods Lifestyle - Question about wheat. Is it really wheat wheat? or just wheat?

Fat Boy Wants 2 Slim
08-01-2010, 08:58 AM
OK so I am taking note of fibre foods as a way of breaking down slowly and good for not feeling too full.

My question is we are suppose to eat WHOLEwheat gains right?

So when it is labelled wheat. Is this Wholewheat? Or just wheat?

Is wheatflour wholewheat or just wheat?

Kinda confusing?

nelie
08-01-2010, 09:07 AM
This might help you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_grain

Basically look for whole wheat. Although advertising on the package itself usually isn't helpful, things that are 100% whole grain generally say it on the outside but always look over the ingredients.

bargoo
08-01-2010, 10:29 AM
If it says 100% Whole Wheat , I would trust that, if it says Wheat Bread it probably is not 100% Whole Wheat.

rdw1
08-01-2010, 12:05 PM
I agree- wheat bread is generally not a "whole" food. Go for the 100% whole wheat or 100% whole grain breads, and as stated above- always check the ingredients... you'd be suprised what is lurking in there! Food for life has many very nutritional breads... and if you ask them they will send coupons ;0)

nelie
08-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Well in general, bread is still a processed product. My favorite breads are the sprouted grain ones. I accept that they are processed but they are a lot less processed than other breads out there.

Natasha629
08-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi Nelie,
I eat sprouted bread as well and love it! Recently found sprouted burger buns and make portabella mushroom burgers. Recently however I have been very careful with soy products. I have been trying to avoid any soy products that are not fermented b/c of possible links to cancer and fertility problems. Well my question is do you know anything about soy lecithin? and does the sprouted bread that you use have that in it? That is one of the ingredients in my sprouted bread. I just seems like soy is everywhere! as well as corn, but that's a wnole other discussion.
Thanks!

Fat Boy Wants 2 Slim
08-07-2010, 06:56 PM
You I think I am gained weight from eating bread this week. Although it is wholemeal bread. It is processed bread. Processed bread is bad for you as reading the ingredients there are alot of chemicals put in the bread.

So now I am stuck for good fibre. I don;'t trust wholemeal bread no more as 90% of it is processed with added chemicals.

nelie
08-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Natasha - I haven't seen any unbiased links to soy and cancer or fertility issues. I think soy in moderation is fine and the research I've read has backed that up. I don't eat soy on a daily basis and try to eat a varied diet.

countryhomeschoolin
08-08-2010, 09:40 AM
This is true...I have made my own sprouted or soaked wheat bread (ground fresh) fro about 5 years and the only ingred. besides the whole wheat that you need to make great bread is water, yeast, honey, oil and maybe vital gluten (which comes from wheat) and dough enhancer (I make my own with vit. c, lecithen and ginger, cornstarch and powdered milk) So don't be fooled into thinking what is a good bread....look at the ingredients. Your best bet is buying some good bread from your local health food store.

moonkissed
08-08-2010, 10:25 AM
I really enjoyed this article on breads.

Baffled by Bread? How to Choose the Best Loaf
Plus Our Top Picks for Whole Wheat Breads
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1215

WaterRat
08-17-2010, 03:14 PM
You I think I am gained weight from eating bread this week. Although it is wholemeal bread. It is processed bread. Processed bread is bad for you as reading the ingredients there are alot of chemicals put in the bread.

So now I am stuck for good fibre. I don;'t trust wholemeal bread no more as 90% of it is processed with added chemicals.

There are lots of foods besides bread/grains that have fiber - most particularly fruits and vegetables. :)