Carb Counters - Primal/Paleo-ish in August

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Primal/Paleo-ish in August

srmb60
08-01-2010, 05:48 AM
Good morning!
If you're wondering just what Primal means, here's a link to help you.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/
Welcome to all!

I was already online and sipping coffee when I realised that it's August. I'll have to weigh and measure tomorrow morning.

I'm going to fitday ... that's my thing lately. Checking out a few things for fine tuning. I'd really rather hover more comfortably under 130 lbs. I'm tired of having softness around the middle. A little mush might be OK but not handfuls ;)

koceank29
08-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Its August, I can't believe it! So for July here are my #'s.

June 287lbs/ July 277lbs - 10lbs lost
Hips 48" 48" same
Waist 39" 38" - 1"
Chest 46" 44" -2"

July was good, 10 lbs gone, 3" lost, I think I've lost more inches in other places I don't measure, I really feel like my clothes are hanging off of me. My husband thinks my upper arms and shoulders are more narrow, and my collarbone is definitely prominent.

For August I am giving up cheese, it is so useless to me and I have a feeling it is why I'm not losing as many inches,who knows. But I eat too much cheese.

I have a friend who is wanting to do this, I asked here to do it at least 30 days since anyone can do almost anything just 30 days, she is pre-diabetic so I really think she'll see great results.
***Is there anything she needs to be careful of being pre-diabetic? I'll be checking out some info for her today.

Can't wait to see your results Bob and good luck everyone else!

LETS HAVE A GREAT AUGUST!!!!!!!

koceank29
08-01-2010, 03:12 PM
So, I'm cooking calves liver tonight. I saw it at the store and it was so cheap, I thought I'd give it a whirl. I'm nervous, I have some backup ground beef just in case.

BibBob
08-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Well, I don't have access to a scale today. I've been weighing at my doc's office, but it's Sunday. I figured I would just slide onto the scale at the hospital next door, but the only public one is in a room under construction and the job site foreman was a little rude about my presence. Guess we wait until tomorrow! :shrug:

BibBob
08-01-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm slow cooking chicken outside today. I'm finishing up the ditch digging irrigation project while the smoker fills the yard with awesome aromas.

CJZee
08-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Happy August everyone!

I'm down 3 pounds in July, which really occurred in the last 10 days or so. I bought some size 14 pants this week to take on my European trip which astounded me as I am quite curvy. The waist is too big, but they fit in the hips and thighs which has always been a major issue for me. They are NOT stretchy pants, either, so I'm pretty happy about this.

Susan, I cannot imagine being a size 2. You definitely must be all muscle, good for you.

Have a mini-rant today because my sweetie and I were in Starbucks. I was drinking a black nothing-in-it coffee. I was hungry, and kept eyeing their sandwiches and yogurt, then started thinking about all the sugar and wheat that wouldn't be good for me. I finally just decided to eat a salad after I got back to his house, BUT ... and this is my own fault ... the counter guy came over and asked if we wanted free croissants as they were going to throw them away. Arghghgh. I had one. I am pretty good when I am prepared for temptation, but I guess not so good when it is thrown in my lap.

On to better choices!

koceank29
08-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Cj, congrats on the 3 lbs and the size 14's!!!!!

Forget about that crossaint and live and learn, thats what I tell myself lately. I'm trying to be more forgiving to myself instead of beating myself up for poor choices. Where is Europe are you going?

tymaboy
08-02-2010, 12:44 PM
I have been allowing myself to "cheat" more then I had at the beginning. I am finding that I am doing better with allowing myself to "cheat" 1-2 times a week. Sounds weird I know but I am not gaining & every so often I do drop a lb. I guess I am not completely over the carb addiction. My neighbor started at a donut shop & want DH & I to go for breakfast on Sunday. I had 1 donut & the rest of the day I ate decent. The donut held me over for 6 hours before needing to eat again. I guess the donut could fit into the 20%.

walking2lose
08-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Hi all -- August already??

Congrats to all for weight loss and health successes! CJ - I totally agree not to worry about the croissant... what could you do??

I am needing to buckle down as my weight loss is nil right now -- I think I know why -- a few extra carbs here and there, not quite enough protein, and just too many calories. So, in August I'm going to try to tweak all of those a bit, have a bit more discipline, and see if I can lose a few lbs/inches!

Can't wait to see Bob's results... he must be weighing in now!

Have a primal day, gang!

Ilene
08-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Lost 0.2 lbs in July :rofl: ... well better than a gain I guess :shrug: ... being on holidays in the last 2 weeks and not having routine hasn't helped much, oh well c'est la vie :rolleyes: ... no measurements yet...

On average I've been having only 2 meals/day....which is good and kind of keeping me on track...

Congrats to everyone's successes :bravo:

SilverLife
08-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Hi, all! I've just noticed you've got Paleo-ish in the thread title, and thought I'd join you.

It's nice to see some familiar faces here!

I'm really enjoying my food plan and how much better I feel.

Hope you all have a very nice start this morning! :)

koceank29
08-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Welcome SilverLife!

Update! I cooked the calves liver. First I sauteed onion and bacon, then put that on a plate and threw in the calves liver, it cooks so fast, then plated the liver and put the onion and bacon back in to heat with some balsamic vinegar. Liver has a distinct taste that as I was eating it I remembered from my childhood...which means my mom fed it to me and didn't tell me!LOL! So I'll be calling her later. I didn't hate the liver but its not something I could eat frequently, maybe every few weeks.

My eating has finally gotten back on track from vacation, my son started 1st grade yesterday so I'll be hitting the gym for some heavy lifting this week, I can't wait!

Have a great day everyone!

srmb60
08-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Good morning!

Without consulting anyone else here :hug: I decided to broaden our title. There are so many folks at 3FC who eat like we do and don't even know what we're up to :?:
Welcome Silverlife! Maybe we'll gather up some more folks :)

SilverLife
08-03-2010, 09:10 AM
SB, thanks for the welcome! :)

I was happy to see Paleo-ish!

Hope your day is going nicely.

Ilene
08-03-2010, 09:49 AM
:welcome: SilverLife :wave:

Nuthin to report this morning yet...

SilverLife
08-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Ilene, thanks for the snazzy welcome! :)

Kara, how are you cooking the calf liver?

I may try to make paté out of some chicken livers. Ate part of them with bacon the other day, which seemed like a Thanksgiving feast.

spanky
08-03-2010, 10:25 AM
G'morning!

I'm starting August 6 pounds away from my goal weight, and I'm OK with that.

Welcome to "The Paleos". Um, please tell me what you do differently? I'm new at being Primal....

I think I said here I was going to try the SimpleFit workout I'd read about on MDA. My first try didn't pan out so great--there are only 3 moves you do: push ups, squats, and chin ups. So I was doing a modified chin up with a towel and about the 5th round into it the shower curtain came crashing down. One of the dogs wouldn't come out from under the bed until sundown, but my 3 year old thought it was awesome!

So back to intensified weight lifting until I can rig something more sturdy!

This morning was my usual egg/cheese/bacon/tomato frittata but we dashed out the door so fast I left lunch at home and am worrying about how NOT to let the day's eating get trashed!

Gotta go--somebody get Bob out of that ditch he's digging and weigh him--I can't wait to hear!

spanks

SilverLife
08-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi, Spanks!

I don't know what the differences are between Primal and Paleo. But I can post the version of Paleo I follow.

Here is the list I follow, Dr. Kurt Harris' recommendations. This info is at the first link in my signature:

1. Eliminate sugar (including fruit juices and sports drinks) and all foods that contain flour.

2. Start eating proper fats - Use healthy animal fats or coconut fat to substitute fat calories for carbohydrate calories that formerly came from sugar and flour. Drink whole cream or coconut milk.

3. Eliminate gluten grains. Limit grains like corn and rice, which are nutritionally poor.

4. Eliminate grain and seed derived oils (cooking oils) Cook with Ghee, butter, animal fats, or coconut oil.

5. Favor ruminants like beef, lamb and bison for your meat. Eat eggs and some fish.

6. Make sure you are Vitamin D replete. Get daily midday sun or consider supplementation.

7. 2 meals a day is best. Don't graze like a herbivore.

8. Adjust your 6s and 3s. Pastured (grass fed) dairy and grass fed beef or bison has a more optimal 6:3 ratio, more vitamins and CLA. A teaspoon or two of Carlson's fish oil (1-2 g DHA/EPA) daily is good compensatory supplementation if you eat grain-fed beef or no fish.

9. Proper exercise - emphasizing resistance and interval training over long aerobic sessions.

10. Most modern fruit is just a candy bar from a tree. Go easy on bags of sugar like apples. Stick with berries and avoid watermelon which is pure fructose. Eat in moderation.

11. Eliminate legumes

12. Eliminate all remaining dairy including cheese- (now you are "Orthodox paleolithic") I think he is being a bit tongue-in-cheek, in that comment.

Things I do which are different from his list and other recommendations. (There is no such thing as "one size fits all".)

I eat three meals a day, and if I feel like I need it, I have a snack. I eat most of my food at b'fast and lunch. Supper is very small. I don't eat after 4:30 or 5.
I eat dairy and don't have any plans to avoid it, at this point. I only use butter, cream, cheese, and homemade yoghurt made with whole milk & cream.
No grains at all for me.
Keeping track of portions and amounts, as well as the ratios of Protein to Fats to Carbs is vital for me, and I make sure I don't eat more calories than I need to.
On exercise, no interval training for me. That must be for young people. ;)

I use Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's (http://homodiet.netfirms.com/diet/optimaldiet1.htm) ratios for P:F:C. I use his for losing weight, not maintaining.

Dr. Peter Dobromylskyj uses Dr. Kwasniewski's ratios. Dr. Dobromylskyj's blog is Hyperlipid (http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/).

In a nutshell, mostly a pre-agriculural diet, except plus dairy, and for me, a few green veggies and the occasional piece of fruit. (I like stewed prunes in gelatin and butter, for example.)

Glad you survived the falling shower curtain rod! :)

walking2lose
08-03-2010, 11:11 AM
G'morning!

I think I said here I was going to try the SimpleFit workout I'd read about on MDA. My first try didn't pan out so great--there are only 3 moves you do: push ups, squats, and chin ups. So I was doing a modified chin up with a towel and about the 5th round into it the shower curtain came crashing down. One of the dogs wouldn't come out from under the bed until sundown, but my 3 year old thought it was awesome!

Gotta go--somebody get Bob out of that ditch he's digging and weigh him--I can't wait to hear!

spanks

That is HILARIOUS -- great image!! :lol: Glad you weren't hurt though.

About Bob... I know. I am dying to hear the results of his weigh in!

Where is he??

Have a great primal day ladies!

walking2lose
08-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Silver -- thanks for the very helpful encapsulation! Everything I've read says that Paleo doesn't consume any dairy, so interesting (and good) to see cream and butter on here (I eat both). I have toyed with giving up cheese, and maybe I will (I have cut way down), but I love my cheese -- I'm actually currently looking for a creamery where I can get grassfed cheese!

Anyway, great list -- if my printer worked, I'd print and post on my fridge.

Have a good one all!

koceank29
08-03-2010, 12:03 PM
SilverLife, that is the list I have in my pantry, it helps me stay on track and it reminds my hubby of what to eat!

Spanky- very funny! Glad you weren't injured. I have a similar routine minus chin ups. Its a crossfit one, pushups-squats-jumping jacks, you vary the amount of time from 3 min to 1 min for 3 reps. Pushups for 3 min is pure torture! I start with normal ones and by the end I'm practically eating my carpet.

Bob, are you hibernating?

srmb60
08-03-2010, 12:08 PM
What I do (in a nutshell) no grain, no sugar, no processed and waaay more fats than I ever imagined. Once in a while I exert a spurt of energy ;)

That's based on years of experimentation and more reading than I could possibly ever reference. Primal Blueprint just kind of put it all together and gave it a name for me.

CJZee
08-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Where is Europe are you going?
My nephew is living in Amsterdam and marrying a Dutch girl, so first I'm going there. I'm going to end up in England to visit a friend. Not sure what I'm doing in between! Maybe Bruge, Belgium ... never been there. Any suggestions? I'm not so keen on the major towns they get a little overwhelming when you're traveling by yourself. Any suggestions anyone? I'll be gone a couple of weeks, and have about a week to wander. CJ

SilverLife
08-03-2010, 12:36 PM
SB, thanks for the nutshell plan. It sounds grand. Once in a while, I exert a spurt of energy, too, but not too often. I wish there were some activity smilies for us slower types here.

Kara, do you read Dr. Harris' blog?

Claire, the paleo diet that is based on an attachment to what some imagine our ancestors ate, doesn't include dairy. I have no intention of pretending I live in an environment as our ancestors did thousands of years ago. I wear modern clothes. I have air conditioning. I buy my herb plants at a nursery. I shop at grocery stores. I do not have to hunt my meat or spend hours looking for berries each day. I enjoy dairy and don't miss drinking milk too much, as the butter, cream, cheese and high fat yoghurt are very satisfying. If I find it causes me problems, I'll stop. But for now, it's fine. Dr. Harris' and Dr. Dobromylskyj's recommendations and explanations have the ring of truth, to me. I see no reason to eat out of a romantic attachment to conjectural history. But, that which is based on the genetic structure of our metabolism makes perfect sense, IMO.

I'm so glad to find you all here at 3fc!

Hope you're all having a very nice day. :)

SilverLife
08-03-2010, 12:40 PM
CJZee, I was typing away while you posted. Brugges, Belgium is a lovely place. If you like lace, there is a spectacular lace museum. Where in England are you going? I lived in Europe for many years, and travelled alone. Just dress like the natives and be as careful as you would on a NY subway.

It'll be easy to eat what you want. Are you using a Eur-rail Pass? They're great. Being in first class on the trains is a delight.

BibBob
08-03-2010, 03:23 PM
:welcome: SilverLife :wave:

Nuthin to report this morning yet...

I can second all of that. Hi SilverLife. Have fun with this. The food is great.
Haven't got to a scale yet. I'm in LA for a day or two. Keeping in primal, headed to a farmer's market.

saraRae
08-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Hi! I'm new around this thread, and am trying to be as Primal as I can. I have both the Primal Blueprint and Paleo Diet books along with the Primal Blueprint Cookbook, so I'm well informed on what I should be eating, but I'm still battling my impulses for the 'bad' food. :^:

SilverLife
08-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi, all!

BigBob, thank you for the kind welcome! Am not new to the food, just to the thread. :)

SaraRae, welcome! :) How nice to have you here. I'm new to this thread, too. I really, really enjoy eating this way. I find the longer I practice making nourishing choices, the more the memory of the unhealthy ones fade away. I wish you much success with your plan. :)

koceank29
08-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Welcome SaraRae! It gets easier to battle with the impulses. When you start craving your primal foods or one of my favorites, collards in coconut milk, you know you're on the right track.

Bob, have fun in LA!

SilverLife- I don't read his blog everyday, but I stop in now and then. I have a 1 yr old and a 6 yr old, so when time allows I pop around to the blogs and here, it helps me stay focused each day.

walking2lose
08-03-2010, 07:09 PM
SB,

Claire, the paleo diet that is based on an attachment to what some imagine our ancestors ate, doesn't include dairy. I have no intention of pretending I live in an environment as our ancestors did thousands of years ago. I wear modern clothes. I have air conditioning. I buy my herb plants at a nursery. I shop at grocery stores. I do not have to hunt my meat or spend hours looking for berries each day. I enjoy dairy and don't miss drinking milk too much, as the butter, cream, cheese and high fat yoghurt are very satisfying. If I find it causes me problems, I'll stop. But for now, it's fine. Dr. Harris' and Dr. Dobromylskyj's recommendations and explanations have the ring of truth, to me. I see no reason to eat out of a romantic attachment to conjectural history. But, that which is based on the genetic structure of our metabolism makes perfect sense, IMO.

Silver -- that makes a lot of sense and is similar to how I see things. So, I guess it's just Loren Cordain who is the main Paleo anti- all dairy guy? I will read up on Dr. Harris and check out his blog. I think I was there at one point - need to bookmark it.

Bob -- you are killing me... I am in great suspense for your weigh in results. Find a scale! And have a great time :)

CJZee
08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
CJZee, I was typing away while you posted. Brugges, Belgium is a lovely place.

Haha, well, I guess I can't spell, sorry. How very American of me to not look up and see how to spell Brugges.

My friend lives near Brighton but I'm only going to visit her a few days. Otherwise I'm free to go anywhere.

Is the Eurailpass worth it for only a week? If so, should I get it before I leave? Thanks SilverLife! CJ

Ilene
08-03-2010, 11:49 PM
From what I understand the difference between Paleo and Primal is that Paleo is more low fat with lean meats and Primal is higher fat and high fat meats... I'm reading Paloe right now borrowed from the library. I try to keep a good balance of both plans I think...but...I've been really off plan :rolleyes: any plan not just Primal/Paleo...

BibBob
08-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Ah this thread just made me smile after a very very long day. Sorry about the delayed results. Maybe you guys should start guessing? I was 316 on the 1st of July.

How much do you think I weigh? :D

Remember the pace I set was a goal of 25 pounds a month for 4 months, but I have testified to the existence of a very stubborn plateau around 300. I will not make it home until late tomorrow night. I'll weigh first thing Thursday morning.

I miss my kid. Us single parents do not function well away from them. I did drop an amazingly quick $300 school shopping for her. My how times have changed. We had a blast shopping together 150 miles apart. I took pics of what I was finding and she picked her own shoes, boots, and other various back to school clothes. Technology is not primal but it sure is slick.

Here's Mark on the difference in Paleo and Primal. (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whats-the-difference-between-primal-and-paleo/) I would add that Cordain does not allow dairy. Sisson does. That's a deal breaker for me. It was Drs. Harris (PaNu) and Eades (Protein Power) who really sold me on the diet, but Mr. Sisson wrapped everything up into a lifestyle with common sense guidance for far more than eating. I almost feel stupid that someone had to tell me to eat natural whole foods, exercise, have fun, avoid stress, toxins, other dangers and be happy, but I did!

I've been keeping it primal and grass fed here, but I have also been unable to IF (and portion control may have been an issue at an amazing Argentinian steak house today). I'm exhausted, going to bed before 10 for a change. Thanks for all the concern about my weight and making me smile. Night. :smug:

SilverLife
08-04-2010, 06:13 AM
Good Morning, all.

Ilene, thanks for posting that info. I haven't read all the different versions of Paleo and Primal. I read PaNu (http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/) and Hyperlipid (http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/) and some of Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's (http://homodiet.netfirms.com/diet/optimaldiet1.htm) articles and decided to go with Dr. Kwasniewski's ratios. I'm slowly making my way through his Polish website, using Google translator. Not ideal, but I don't read Polish.

It's wonderful being able to choose. I really enjoy eating this way. Wish I'd been doing it my whole life. Being free of the effects of grains and legumes has been a tremendous boon to my health. It's not for everyone, but for my family it's crucial.

BigBob, I've read on other forums and in blog comments, of others having started to eat this way due to Drs. Harris and Eades, or Gary Taubes, too. Peter Dobromylskyj's blog, Hyperlipid is of the same caliber, IMO.

Sending you all best wishes. :)

tymaboy
08-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Wow you guys have been very chatty!

CJZee- Hope you have a great time when you go visit your sister.

Bob- I cant wait to see what your results are! I am sure you are now out of the 300s. What grade is you DD in? My DS in 11th this yr. I am finding that I do not have to buy him as much school supplies now. Alot of of the supplies can carry over to the next yr without getting trashed or lost. He has slowed down on his growing as well so less clothes to buy as well. He does get new shoes & a couple new pants each yr. He's a runner so he goes threw shoes like crazy.

WELCOME to the newbies!

SilverLife
08-04-2010, 12:48 PM
CJZee, It's been many years since I used a Eurrail pass. There used to be a one-week pass. Some would buy passes for a period of time that let them pick the number of travel days within that period of time. Yes, you must get the Eurrail pass here in the States. It's only available here, and only to US citizens who are US residents, as far as I know. I'm sorry, I'm not up on the latest anymore. Goodness, there is so much I miss about living in Europe. Brighton is wonderful. You are going to have the best time! I'll be thinking of you. :)

Tymaboy, thanks for the kind welcome!

BibBob
08-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Good morning,

SilverLife-- I read Peter too. He goes over my head sometimes but also makes me laugh, which I think is important in this world of hyperfocus on hormones and evo medicine. Resveratrol causing cancer is classic. Stephan Guyenet and Art Ayers are also big favorites of mine.

I've shared this a few times but I like telling it so here is my basic story. I yo yo-ed for 25 years on CW diet plans. I really tried hard and I tried just about everything. Nothing worked. My pattern for years revolved around New Year's resolutions. This past New Year's I made a different resolution. I resolved not to diet, but to research the issue and figure this beast out. At 370 pounds I had a ton of health issues. I was prepared to be a raw vegan if necessary. Dr. Furhman is a good people and he's helped many get healthy. I do not hate vegans. I was being sucked into that lifestyle because I had pretty good but temporary success juice fasting and living off of beans and veggies for about 9 months a few years ago. I lost right down to where I currently am, but couldn't sustain it. Then I stumbled across my epiphany, my moment of clarity. Not the book, but the article that started it all by Taubes -- What if it's all been a Big Fat Lie. I then got hooked on the paleo bloggers. I have over 50 of them bookmarked and 30 of them in my reader. My blog, if I ever get it launched, will feature them. Next I read GCBC alongside Primal Blueprint and knew I had found what I was looking for, a sustainable lifestyle, not a diet. By mid April I knew I was going to do this, and I knew it was going to work. Being an accountant by education I work on a monthly schedule and decided to start May1 and weigh/report once a month. I am also a believer in intermittent fasting for those who can do it -- the combination of primal and IF, for me, is the gold standard for a healthy lifestyle that should take me to a goal weight comfortably and quickly while supplying me the tools to maintain for life.

Other topics that have captured my interest are epigenetics (optimizing gene expression), neuroplasticity (changing your mind, literally), and calorie restriction. I am happier today than I have been in 12 years. My favorite thing to say to friends and family who doubt what I am doing or comment on the good results is: "I got this this time." And I do. :p

BibBob
08-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Also I am constipated, dammit. :mad:

SilverLife
08-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Bibbob, thanks for posting your story. I'm so glad you read what you did and found out about the lies. Yours is a brilliant and dear testimony to the truth.

Yes, the resveratrol was a good laugh.

It is true that once we start thinking, it just keeps going!

RE: Constipation. I have found that drinking much more water, and eating much more fat helps that elimination challenge. Elimination is less frequent now than it was eating grains and other fibers. It's great to be free of the irritation. Much more water for me means 128-140 ounces a day, rather than the previous 80-100. Don't yet know my maintenance fat requirements.

I've been going thru all the comments, little by little at PaNu and Hyperlipid. Some tedious, some junk, but many jewels.

Will take a look at Art Ayer's writings. Stephan's aren't my cup of tea. Thanks much for the reading tips.

Am also reading FailSafe (http://blog.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info/what-is-failsafe/), about toxins in plants, medicines, etc. Some useful info in there for me, especially about salicylates.

srmb60
08-04-2010, 02:58 PM
It never ceases to amaze me that most of us already knew a bunch of this stuff.

saraRae
08-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the welcome! Right now I'm trying to cut pop and candy out completely. I was able to do it last year for the most part, but somehow I fill back into the habit of a can a day. So far I haven't had pop for at least a week, and no caffeine for 2 days (any caffeine or carbonated beverage can sometimes give me heartburn).

I've mostly been a meat and potatoes girl, and never much experimenting, so I need to expand the vegetables I eat that are good for me. I like beets, broccoli, lettuce, squash, cabbage, carrots, and celery but that's about it. Does anyone have any suggestions for steamed or raw vegetables?

srmb60
08-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Oh Sara! I'm excited. If you already were a meat and potatoes girl, switching to meat and another vegetable will be so natural for you!

cauliflower? different lettuces? parsnips? different kinds of cabbage? sweetpotato? zucchini?

Browse the produce aisle ... grab something ... come home and google how to cook it ;)

BibBob
08-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi Tyma -- My daughter is entering the 6th grade, middle school, and growing like a weed, especially her feet. She's been growing out of shoes before wearing them out for two years now. Her cousins get some very nice hand me downs!

I'm going to try to IF all day and be a little lighter for the weigh in. I feel like I may have put on a little weight. I went for a long walk and my hands swelled a little like they used to when I was retaining water. Between that and constipation I am feeling bloated. I need my homemade yogurt.

Speaking of that, I finally used the full fat Fage as a starter culture and wowwowwow was the result by far my favorite so far. I need to toss some recipes up in our new thread when I get a chance this weekend.

koceank29
08-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Sara- As far as veggies, all I can say is roast em roast em! If you aren't a fan of a lot of them, once they get roasted they turn into something like veggie candy! My favorite is roasted asparagus, but brussel sprouts are edging in. You can roast just about any veggie, I clean them, cut them, coat them in olive oil, sea salt, pepper and red pepper flakes sometimes, and throw themin the oven for 2-25 min at 400degrees. Sorry if you already know how to roast them! I think you'll eat more veggies if they are cooked this way IMO. Also, since you're a meat & pot. eater, have you tried mashed cauliflower? That is a go to at my house. I love it with garlic and cheese(no chz this month for me though!). I can't wait for winter when I can experiment with more soups and make my sheperds pie(w/mashed cauliflower), its just too hot right now to enjoy soups for me.

Bob, gotta check out that article by Taubes, about to google it and hopefully I can print it out for my friend that is "trying" (I say that loosely) to do Primal.

koceank29
08-04-2010, 03:39 PM
found the article, printed it, and calling my friend! Thanks Bob for mentioning this.

Mikkijoe
08-04-2010, 08:50 PM
SUCKED IN---and I am not talking about my stomach in order to get my jeans zipped!

I took a break (at work) about 3 hours ago and just now stopped reading forums, blogs, and 3FC about Primal and Paleon! I only stopped right now because it is time to go home!

This may be what I need, I have been watching calories and fat for over a month now and lost 3 pounds WHOOO WHHHOOO NOT~ I have done so much damage to my system in the past with yo-yo weights, diets, starving, etc.....this may be it. Certainly worth a 30 day try! I will be combining this with Becks (Cognitive Therapy) since my brain is afflicted with 'stinkin thinkin'.

I am excited! Thanks for all your posts, many spoke to my aching heart, and gave me hope.

More reading tonight, running it by DH, who will LOVE the idea, he loves his meat, his butter, etc. And this will be good for DD, she is only 30 pounds lighter than me, at 14 years old, so sad. First focus will be NO sugar, we have cut down quite a bit, but more cutting will be done (slashing! not cutting)

walking2lose
08-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Sara and Mikki -- Welcome! Primal/paleo is a wonderfully healthy lifestyle to follow.

Bob -- ok, I'll play. I say 294... when do we find out??

Everyone else -- I hurt my back yesterday (moving a couch that we sold on craigslist), and today didn't have much appetite (yay, a chance to IF). I didn't eat until about 7pm tonight and had a delicious dinner of 2 eggs, spicy sausage crumbled and browned, diced garden tomato and steamed brocoli -- all of this chopped together in a bowl with about a 1/4 c. cheese over it... YUM.

I couldn't exercise because of my back, but I hope to be back into the swing of things tomorrow.

Lots of good and informational conversation on here. I am plugging away still (on page 100 or so) on Good Calories, Bad Calories (Taubes) and am just amazed at the lies/distortions we've been fed (no pun intended).

Looking forward to reading and learning more and more... keep it coming.

srmb60
08-05-2010, 01:10 AM
Hi Mikkijoe! We're gathering up a nice crowd here! That makes me happy.

There was not a lick of meat or cheese in the kitchen when I got home tonight. So I had an apple with creamed coconut. Yum! Best get something out of the freezer for morning. I've been very hungry in the mornings lately.
I wish I could say that I exercised today, but I didn't. Walked for the mail and that's all.

BibBob
08-05-2010, 02:04 AM
I'm home. I'll see the doc on my lunch break tomorrow around 12:30 pst and post asap. :)

I think this trip may have set me back. I'm good at keeping it primal, but lousy with portion control. This is partly why intermittent fasting helps me. When I eat, I really eat. My hope at this point is to be under 300. :fingerscrossed:

I will be shocked if I make my 100 pound goal in 4 months. I once did this research and presentation on goal setting and came away believing it was best to set lofty goals, even short term. It was called Shoot for the Stars, Settle for the Moon.

Hi MikkiJoe! Please commit for two months, not one. The first month of low carbing can involve some very difficult hurdles -- your body/liver transitions from burning glucose (carbs) to burning ketones (fats), many go through sugar and or starch withdrawals, even more experience flu like symptoms. Once it all passes, you get a surge of energy and things get much easier. Your health markers improve and hopefully the weight starts coming off. If I based everything on that first month, yuck. But many also experience a huge water loss very fast. This is good weight to drop, imo, and helps keep you encouraged when things are a little edgy.

wildviolets
08-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi all you new people! I have a lot of reading to catch up on!

I've been having a round of headaches and fatigue .....that time of the month (sorry if that is TMI but like clockwork I get sick like this one week out of the month). Have not been eating well and that makes things worse. Haven't weighed myself nor measured.

We are going to Philly tomorrow to see my stepdaughter's new home. My son is so excited to see his sister (he's 5 and she's 28!). I think I will eat very primal. That is one thing i like about this kind of eating.....it's pretty easy to in restuarants....

Can't wait to finally see how Bob did!

koceank29
08-05-2010, 09:59 AM
ALright Bob, I'm saying 297! Can't wait.

MikkiJoe, congrats! I am with you, this may be the end of the road for you...I tried EVERYTHING before this and then I started really researching and thought, this is what I need and boy has it changed my life. I already ate healthy according to government recommendations but once I started eating like this the weight started falling off and my body has been transforming. Even when I don't lose much my body is less fatty looking and my muscles are more defined. My hubby is like yours, when I introduced this to him, he was excited that I was willing to eat meat and butter again instead of my typical low-fat, low-cal, high grain dieting. Stick with it and feel free to ask anything! I started at the below link and read tons of info to get me started since I didn't have the book at the time, and it a great site that is amazingly free considering all the info. Glad to have another newcomer!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com

NSV for me yesterday. I have a pair of jeans that are big in my waist since doing this, but my belt was still fitting, yesterday I put the belt on and had to add hole 2 inches from the last hole. So exciting! When winter comes I'm gonna be up a creek with no clothes! Good thing it stays warm until the end of October.

Have a great day everybody!

Ilene
08-05-2010, 11:23 AM
:wave: to the newbies and :welcome:

Boib -- 295 :) ... does the one closest to the number without going over win a prize, a grass fed steak?

Off to Ottawa today with DD and a friend..... TTFN....

LLH2010
08-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Okay, so I've been reading about this eating plan and I think I like it. I decided to start trying today. I know I'm in for a struggle because carbs were a big chunck of diet. But so far today I think I've done well. This is what I ate.

Breakfast- Coffee with one packet of splenda and 2 T creamer
Taco salad with 6 oz. seasoned ground beef, 2 cups romaine lettuce, 1/4 cup 2% cheese ( all I had on hand), and 2 T salsa

Snack- 1.5 oz. pecans tossed in pumpkin pie spice

I really need to get the book to know if I'm doing okay I guess!

Mikkijoe
08-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Bob; Thanks for the tip about going to 2 months before throwing in the towel. That makes sence and I REALLY appreciate the scientific approach to explainations, that speaks to me. I am a meat and potatoes type of person when it comes to conversation. "Just give me the facts, mam' Said in my best Dragnet impression (for those of you old enough to remember Dragnet!

srmb60
08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi LLH2010! Welcome!
Aren't you cute!

Here's a link that will help you with the basics until you get a chance to read the book. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

I remember Dragnet!

LLH2010
08-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Thank you! That website was very helpful, and it explained why I am so tired today!

cherbear
08-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Ok, this is going to be totally weird, but I've been a lurker on ya'll's threads since May, and for some reason, I really wanted to post this today. :)

I'm not able (willing) to adopt the primal/paleo stuff and calorie counting's worked well for me, but I just wanted to stop by and say that you all are SO fun to read! I've not been posting on 3fc in a couple of months, but I stop by every couple of days and the only thing I read is your thread (you guys are kind of like celebrities to me lol). I'm even waiting on pins and needles for Bob's weigh in!

Anywho, I just wanted you all to know that I'm not even paleo and I love your thread!!

My bet in the pool is 296!!

Mikkijoe
08-05-2010, 03:56 PM
That cracks me up, thanks for the smile today! I just jumped in yesterday, after much research, and I too wanted to throw a number in the pot

wildviolets
08-05-2010, 04:39 PM
I feel like chanting "Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob!"

Did any of you ever read "Change your Brain, Change your Body" by Dr. Amen??? I just watched part of a special he had on tv and it was interesting.....

Mikkijoe
08-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Our Brain has ALOT to do with our weight loss success!
I am currently going through Beck Diet Solution, Cognitive Therepy that teaches you to "think like a thin person' HUGE for me.

saraRae
08-05-2010, 04:54 PM
I want to throw my bid in for Bob too! I'll say 292!

walking2lose
08-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Ok, this is going to be totally weird, but I've been a lurker on ya'll's threads since May, and for some reason, I really wanted to post this today. :)

I'm not able (willing) to adopt the primal/paleo stuff and calorie counting's worked well for me, but I just wanted to stop by and say that you all are SO fun to read! I've not been posting on 3fc in a couple of months, but I stop by every couple of days and the only thing I read is your thread (you guys are kind of like celebrities to me lol). I'm even waiting on pins and needles for Bob's weigh in!

Anywho, I just wanted you all to know that I'm not even paleo and I love your thread!!

My bet in the pool is 296!!

Wow! Where's the paparazzi?! Who knew? :lol: So Cher, aren't you a little tempted to go primal???

I have a huge batch of kale chips are in the dehydrator, and they smell SO incredibly yummy! The dressing I made for them is divine.

My eating has been good all week, and my tummy feels flatter today. The pounds are starting to drop again, I think. I just wish I could exercise, but my back still hurts. I think one more day of aleve and rest, and I'll be ready to work out again.

I'm on page 137 of GCBC now -- just finished the chapter on diabetes and the one on fiber -- it's beyond surreal how all of these studies have been skewed for so long. Not to sound like a fanatic, but I almost feel like chanting, "Lies, lies, lies" whenever the topic of nutrition (CW) comes up.

But... and here is the coward in me. I stay QUIET. Except for my mom and dad (my mom has done the Zone for years, so she is very down with primal) and my husband, I have not really explained to any of my health conscious friends how I have been eating. I just don't make a big deal out of it, but I have a friend who is always wanting to compare what we eat (because we used to eat the same way!). She was raving to me on our walk Monday night about her egg white breakfast concoction, and I had to really bite my tongue to not say, "EAT THE YOLKS!!!" I used to be an egg white queen, but I sure am converted now. I have another friend who has been raving to me all summer about this wonderful salad she's been making, and she finally made it for me the other day. It was *pretty* wonderful (blueberries, mandarin oranges, craisins, chicken), but she seemed utterly shocked that I wanted to forgo the croutons ("But they're only 20 calories for 1/4 c!!"). The worst of it was the fat free poppyseed dressing. Trust me, there was NO convincing her that those low cal croutons and sugar loaded fat free dressing were unhealthy -- she thought she had discovered manna from heaven.

I did eat the dressing but no croutons and chalked it all up to the 80/20. Just saying...

So how have/are you all handling eating/discussing eating with friends? :dunno:

spanky
08-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Gosh. Looks like there's crowd here! WELCOME!!

I have a Certified Weirdness to report:

Night before last I went to bed as usual. I wake up in the morning with peanut butter, jelly, and crumbs all over the bed and a bare paper plate on the floor. I go out to the kitchen and this stuff is all out on the counter.

Folks, I sleep alone except for a dog or two and my toddler can't reach the counter. Neither can the dogs. [though they did have peanut butter and jelly on them].

Do people eat in their sleep???? I have ZERO memory whatsoever of this caper. I'm hoping I came back to bed and the dogs ate it but who knows?

WeeeeeeOooooooooh!

Bob--I'm goin' for the gold: 290!

walking2lose
08-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Spanky -- YES, people do...especially if they have taken an ambien.

I'm a horrible lifelong insomniac, and I have been trying to wean off ambien for over a year (not very well, I might add). I take a half of 10mg (guess I could've said 5 mg) about 5x per week. I have never done the sleep eating, but I do get very bad night munchies after taking one. It's apparently not uncommon for people on ambien to eat full meals during the middle of the night with NO recollection of it.

Of course, it can also happen without ambien.

BibBob
08-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Well, it looks like Kara at 297 is the winner.

I weigh 300 pounds. I lost 15 more. I'm probably not nearly as disappointed as some of you. :D

Weight loss is never linear and that is why I don't worry too much about the scale. Funny, in June I fasted 10 times and barely exercised for a 26 pound drop. In July I exercised like a fiend fasted 15 times and lost a respectable 15 pounds. I am in much better shape, seeing a little definition in my shoulders and thighs that hasn't been seen for a decade. It's all good.

So let's see. Too make my four month goal of 268 in need to lose 32 pounds in 26 days. I won't hold my breath, but I do expect a sudden drop somewhere around here. It is a plateau. I have no plans or schedule for fasting this month and want to use the primal winter famine idea to explore calorie restriction, one meal a day, and see how I function.

Welcome aboard lurkers and noobs. LLH, with just 13 pounds to go I really recommend the book. You probably don't need the extreme carb restriction as us with a long long way to go yet. Have fun. That's part of Primal Blueprint.

BibBob
08-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Spanky, I suggest locking the fridge and pantry right before bed time. Great story! I've done it with pizza and beer -- BUT, I had already had so much beer that I think inebriation was mostly to blame. I have talked, walked, urinated outside, and eaten in my sleep. I was even narcoleptic for a few years in college-- partying and studying led to unanticipated sleep in the strangest places.

Hi Cherbear -- What are you unwilling to do? Just curious. By no means do I believe Primal is The answer for everyone. But giving up grains and refined sugar is a godsend, I think, for everyone. The whole omega3 omega6 story is really an excellent health issue to address, primal or not.

srmb60
08-06-2010, 12:46 AM
Cherbear! Too funny!

Go Bob!

I am now off for a three day weekend! I'm so happy I could cry.
Maybe I'll get a nice bit of exercise in.

wildviolets
08-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Way to go Bob!!!!! You are still my Primal Hero!

Have a nice weekend everyone....we are off to Philly!

CJZee
08-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Yay! for lurkers! It is fabulous that you like our thread! You know, I calorie-counted for awhile and it was fine and I lost weight -- BUT hunger has always been an issue for me with calorie-counting. I find on Primal I don't get the draining, debilitating hunger that I do when I'm eating more carbs so it works better for me.

CJZee
08-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Well, it looks like Kara at 297 is the winner. I weigh 300 pounds.
Congrats, Bob! I've got to tell you that there is NO WAY I could wait another month to weigh if I was as close to a milestone as you are (299). You must have nerves of steel to only weigh once a month.

cherbear
08-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi Cherbear -- What are you unwilling to do? Just curious. By no means do I believe Primal is The answer for everyone. But giving up grains and refined sugar is a godsend, I think, for everyone. The whole omega3 omega6 story is really an excellent health issue to address, primal or not.

I don't even disagree with this way of eating. I think it does make sense, and I agree that the less refined/processed cr@p we put in our bodies the better, but I'm almost at 100 pounds lost, and this is the third time in my 32 years that I've lost this weight, and I'm scared to death of regaining it. It is mostly fear.

It's really hard to eat higher calorie foods. I know that if I keep my calories low, I will be less likely to regain weight, and I guess I just want that assurance. I do try to avoid sugar, and I have gotten it through my head that low fat is not the best option, but going full throttle paleo is a little scary. :dizzy:

I also have a husband that freaked out when I tried doing South Beach a couple of years ago. I don't know if I was in ketosis or what was happening, but I lost 20 pounds and about half my hair, I swear!

So anyway, I'm in a rut, I know what works for me and I'm scared to try anything else. The hunger doesn't really bother me, it just becomes one of those things that's worth it to be a size I'm happy at.

This is so exciting, I might get a camera and paparazzi you all!! lol! I'm such a dork!

srmb60
08-06-2010, 11:45 AM
I promised myself I wouldn't hang around on the internet today. Ha ha!

But Cherbear ... my hair fell out when I ate low fat!

Just in case any calorie counters are wondering here's my stats for this week.
Average 1636 cals per day
59% fats
25% protein
14% carbs
1% alcohol

I'm actually pretty surprised that it's that low. I would have guessed that I was eating fairly lushly ;)

walking2lose
08-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Yay! for lurkers! It is fabulous that you like our thread! You know, I calorie-counted for awhile and it was fine and I lost weight -- BUT hunger has always been an issue for me with calorie-counting. I find on Primal I don't get the draining, debilitating hunger that I do when I'm eating more carbs so it works better for me.

That was me, CJ, exactly!! I know now it was all the "healthy" carbs I was eating that were making me hungry.

Bob -- WAY TO GO!!! The incredible shrinking man!! Woot!

Susan -- 3 day weekend -- enjoy yourself! I am hoping to get in some good exercise too, since I've been out of commission with my back the last 3 days.

Drinking coffee with whipping cream and a teaspoon of coconut oil...yum.

Mikkijoe
08-06-2010, 01:11 PM
So, we (family) are in full PRIMAL discussion. There was a question last night that I did not have the answer for (unheard of I know!) Does Coconut oil have a coconut flavor? And what is used for high heat in oils? does coconut oil stand up to high heat, since olive oil and grape seed oil does not, Lard is something I cannot wrap my noodle around.....it is what I make soap out of--not eat LOL

BibBob
08-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks all! I wanted to be 299 for the psychological lift of being sub 300, but I didn't want to get naked to do it. Removing my shoes made it go from 300.88 to 300.01. The nurse said, "You should wear heavier shoes!" haha :)

CJ, I love the anticipation of waiting a month. I could weigh in every week if I wanted. Sheesh, I could own a scale. But, for me, based on my past history, the obsession with frequent weight checks gets unhealthy, encourages foolish eating habits I can't sustain, and even discourages me from trying. Ever diet real hard and gain a few pounds? It makes me want to give up. I will not own a scale -- ever. I hope to get down 100 more pounds and just use my low carb intermittent fasting ideas to maintain a healthy weight based on the notches in my belt.

Carbs definitely stoke my appetite. I fiddled with carb refeeds (bananas, plums, potatoes,etc.) twice last month under the idea that my liver needed to restore exhausted glycogen. The low carb fitness gurus recommend this, but I proved Mark right again. It is specific to fitness freaks, I think. My appetite was fierce, I started retaining water again, and I got constipated. Bah, I'm keeping carbs under 50 grams daily per PB until I am 250 pounds.

MikkiJoe -- Coconut oil has a pretty high smoke point and some deep fry in it. Mine (GNC and Nutiva) have coconut flavors that interfere with most recipes but work great if you're doing a curry or coconut type dish. Others here know brands that have no flavor. I still have about 50 ounces to get through before trying another brand. Lard is awesome for cooking. In past threads we've discussed our natural fear of fats. That's our indoctrination into the failed conventional wisdom that has basically brainwashed us for decades and helped get us into the condition we are in. I still struggle a little with fats, but I am almost completely over it. Cut up some sweet potato and pumpkin into fries and cook them up in lard. Make a breading out of pork rinds and coat some egg dipped chicken in them before a hot lard bath. Yum. You should rub grape seed oil all over your body but never eat it. You should eat lard before wasting it on soap. :)

BibBob
08-06-2010, 03:04 PM
I don't even disagree with this way of eating. I think it does make sense, and I agree that the less refined/processed cr@p we put in our bodies the better, but I'm almost at 100 pounds lost, and this is the third time in my 32 years that I've lost this weight, and I'm scared to death of regaining it. It is mostly fear.

It's really hard to eat higher calorie foods. I know that if I keep my calories low, I will be less likely to regain weight, and I guess I just want that assurance. I do try to avoid sugar, and I have gotten it through my head that low fat is not the best option, but going full throttle paleo is a little scary. :dizzy:

I also have a husband that freaked out when I tried doing South Beach a couple of years ago. I don't know if I was in ketosis or what was happening, but I lost 20 pounds and about half my hair, I swear!

So anyway, I'm in a rut, I know what works for me and I'm scared to try anything else. The hunger doesn't really bother me, it just becomes one of those things that's worth it to be a size I'm happy at.

This is so exciting, I might get a camera and paparazzi you all!! lol! I'm such a dork!

Thanks for the reply, Cherbear. The main reason a fat dude gravitated to 3
Fat Chicks was the sense in this community that whatever works for you is best. Diet specific sites, even Mark's Daily Apple (specifically primal), tend to create dogma and debates that are not useful for everyone. Here if a vegan does great, everyone is happy, likewise for a steak chewing fat slurping Atkins dieter. There's several ways to skin a fat cat. What you're experiencing with calorie restriction is what I expect to experience eventually. I share your fear and believe it is a healthy fear.

This article by James Krieger is involved but something everyone coming down from morbidly obese levels needs to understand. (http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=415) There's documented reasons why we yo yo. It is harder for a once obese person at 175 to stay there than it is for someone who's always been there. It's almost unfair, but your approach is right on. Great job with the loss and the maintenance.

Krieger (the anti-Taubes) is a challenge for those of us sold on one (our) way. His ways are individualized and hopefully optimized on a case by case basis. What I take from that article is calorie restriction is probably in my maintenance future. Sassykathy (I hope she's still with us) could also probably benefit from the lessons you've learned and Krieger's case by case approach. Though he does favor low carb for those way over weight with some physical limitations.

(James, if the backlink brings you here, BibBob = Grol/Robert. This is where I hang out to pick up hot chicks.) :)

Mikkijoe
08-06-2010, 03:48 PM
:D BibBob "You should rub grape seed oil all over your body but never eat it. You should eat lard before wasting it on soap"

I am cracking up over here! Must say my first comment I needed to delete, it could have been taken WAY wrong.

So that does answer my question about grapeseed oil being an OK cooking oil. apparently it is not, and yes it does do wonders for the skin.

Lard certainly is a mental issue, but hey! Think of all the mexican food I love that is made with lard. The restaurants usually dont use Lard, but the little mom and pops, that we have so much of in Central Washington, they do, and it does make a difference! That mental block will be addressed in time I am sure.

I was also going to ask if anyone else found a different environment in the forum at MarksDailyApple....and yet again you answered a question before it was answered. Thanks, now I know it is not just me.

BibBob
08-06-2010, 04:49 PM
To be clear, all the refined seed oils are no nos in the primal world. I suppose very high quality cold pressed unrefined (costly!) grape seed oil is pretty good stuff if you don't fret the amazingly high (highest I have seen) omega6 levels. I'm going with the current information, trying to increase O3s (eating fish and supplementing) and eliminate refined veggie, seed, and legume (soy) based O6s. I still get O6 from whole foods like meat and nuts. I'm personally not 100% sold on the "omega ratio" information so popular in the paleo world, but I'm pretty impressed with the seafood found in healthy diets and O3 research results. What we primals strive for on this topic may not be completely necessary, but it has to be pretty stinkin' healthy. I find it easy to use olive oil, coconut oil, butter, ghee and even lard and tallow as my replacement fats. Olive oil and butter are what I use primarily. Despite embracing the idea that saturated fats aren't the health horror conventional wisdom has made us believe, I still think from a pure calorie standpoint, they should be watched. Sure they burn elegantly in a ketogenic body, but less of them will encourage elegant body fat burning. That's my current position anyway.

Mikkijoe
08-06-2010, 05:04 PM
I bought the Anti-Inflamitory Diet book last spring, which is all about making sure your O3's are higher than your O6's at the end of the day. We started doing that and after about a month I found a huge decrease in foot pain (I have plantar faciitis on the R and past severe ankle sprain and broken top of foot on L)
Already cut out the artificial sweetners that made a huge difference (diet pepsi CAN poison you, for reals!) The asparatame can change your neuro-receptors which translate pain when you consume large amounts over a long period of time.

Anyway, just my 2 cents about how what we put in our mouth can effect pain!

LLH2010
08-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Just checking in to say so far so good. I was tired yesterday so I decided to slowly taper my carbs and now I'm aiming for 50-100 per day. I feel good, not hungry, and I have plenty of energy today, I even made it to 12 without food! I went and stocked up on plenty of meat, veggies, and berries, and I even tried my hand at low carb primal muffins. I think I'm going to have to go a while without sugar to enjoy those things but hey I tried!

spanky
08-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Yippee for BOB! (The anticipation was starting to get to me.)

I cruise MDA looking for interesting tidbits of information, but I know I don't have the time to be as meticulous as some there about my intake. Probably nobody there would ever eat PBJ's in their sleep, I just know!

Has anyone read anything about Primal Toddlers? My 4 year old still gets what "normal" kids get and likes his carbs. He gets milk as well and I'm afraid to change too much since he is already very thin. That and he is in daycare eating daycarejunk while I support us all through DH's school.

Today has been much better as far as my intake. [There were no crumbs on the counter this morning...] My egg frittata for breakfast, cheese and strawberries for lunch and headed into grilled something at dinner. Or maybe taco salad...

I noticed a post about what do you say to people about how you're eating these days and I'd have to say nobody seems to care. When my husband comes home from school in Chicago we eat more steak--which is great for him since he's a diabetic. Even the "Ultimate Saboteur Co-worker" has given up on trying to sink my boat and now concentrates on the new person--who seems to eat only BBQ chips.

I do go on....anyway Happy Friday to one and all!

Spanky

BibBob
08-06-2010, 06:03 PM
I even tried my hand at low carb primal muffins. I think I'm going to have to go a while without sugar to enjoy those things but hey I tried!

Hah! I tried primal pumpkin muffins when I was upping carbs before my trip to LA. They were funky and I barely choked one down. I added stevia, cinnamon, nutmeg, eggs, buttermilk and potato flour and called them pumpkin pancakes. My 11 year old now says they're her favorite pancakes. So something good came of it. I think for me it's best just to understand imitating old faves like muffins and breads is never going to really work.

Mikkijoe
08-06-2010, 06:11 PM
I am at the same point BibBob. I was making imitation hamburgers with brown rice and beans...they never taste like burgers! And I am not even going to try to attempt making pancakes or cookies etc.....

But there is no imitating a good ole' steak, which is dinner, with zucchini and patty pan squash cooked with onions and garlic and fresh basil

BibBob
08-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Yippee for BOB! (The anticipation was starting to get to me.)

Has anyone read anything about Primal Toddlers? My 4 year old still gets what "normal" kids get and likes his carbs. He gets milk as well and I'm afraid to change too much since he is already very thin. That and he is in daycare eating daycarejunk while I support us all through DH's school.

Thanks Spanks. There's been a few good threads there about primal kids. The worrisome thing to me is that the combo of refined carbs and fats is really bad. So many primal parents may not have the heart to eliminate the breads and hfcs from their kids' diets while cranking up the "healthy primal fats". Those good intentions can backfire, badly. My only kid is old enough, 11, to be educated about what her fat dad is doing and why. The changes have been major so we discuss it all the time. She is my motivation, btw. She has cut out most bread completely on her own, but she was never a big bread eater. She loves mashed cauli as a potato replacement, but I am letting her enjoy grandma's pasta, Subways with her friends, a danish on the run in the morning, or whatever. I don't want her to have eating issues or feel pressured about food. Baby steps for kids. She's not obese, 5' and 100 pounds, and her body composition has really improved this summer just from the changes she has volunteered to make. No sodas, no high hfcs juices, no bags of candy, cookies or candy bars, almost no bread or other sweets. We were huge pie eaters and she hasn't had a slice since May with no complaints.

BibBob
08-06-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm so chatty today. I took the day off. Mikkijoe sent me a PM that I thought could have been discussed openly. I asked. She confessed she almost posted it in this thread and that I was free to respond here, so... I am:

SO, here is a question I have for you BibBob. I have not posted here on this forum much, and just started researching Primal. BUT I am very familiar with the human emotional mind set, goal setting, goal achieving, etc. As I read about your huge success over the last 3 months I cant help but to be concerned that as the weight loss slows down--and we all know it will--that you will not be disappointed.....and others here, who are so inspired by your loss, may give you such encouragement (which is good, dont get me wrong) that you (especially as a male) may feel you are letting them down if you do not perform to 'expectations'. (sorry that is a horribly gramatical paragraph, but I am not going to change it)

I'm glad you didn't change it. Even though I'm not 100% sure I understand it. :D

In regards to the weight loss rate slowing and maybe being disappointed, my plan all along has been to take off 100 pounds as fast as I can (in good health, staying strong enough to exercise daily and without drugs), then deliberately hit the brakes and take it off at a more reasonable pace. I don't want sagging skin on my belly. I don't want to rebound. I don't want to harm my health (some studies discourage losing too fast from a mortality stand point-- eeks). I don't care if the last 70 pounds are a year long battle. I do believe morbidly obese people in moderately good physical health (able to walk 5 miles daily if needed) can dump the "morbidly" very fast, in most cases. Certainly not everyone, and it does take a ton of will power, effort, focus and (for me) information.

In regards to all the encouragement here, it's like a wonderful gift I wish I could repay. I understand it's easier for men to lose weight than women, and my athletic background (solid physical base) probably makes it easier for me than most similarly overweight men.

But, I agree in a way with what you're saying. When I'm told I've inspired someone that is far more inspirational for me (what a compliment) than the very cool cheers that put a huge smile on my face. It also puts a little pressure on me to keep up the good work. It's not much of a reach to see how I could naturally start struggling and the pressure of being an inspiration could then backfire. So, I plan to slow down and stop being such an inspiration. To me, the real inspirations are the "maintainers" not "the losers". Once I've been at or under 200 pounds for a couple years... then I'll believe what I've done should inspire others. Make sense?

Not saying setting goals is a bad thing, and you talked about goal setting a little the other day, but I just want to throw that out there--something to think about.

I edited your PM and don't feel like fixing it. haha.
But you said you have some background on goal setting. I think it is a hugely important topic to discuss. I confess, I see a lot of goals in other threads at 3FC that make want to say, "Hey, set a serious goal!" Striving to be 5-3 and 250 is great for someone 350, but... okay I'll stop and let that discussion take wing or not from there.

Okay, I will add that the mental aspect of all of this is key. I could have accomplished the weight loss on Atkins, South Beach, Mediterranean or The Zone with the same mindset. I just prefer the natural whole foods and no grains emphasis of Primal, and the lack of set rules to follow. I don't do rules well. I need the flexibility.

I've mentioned before that mentally I reached a point (deeply depressed) where I honestly would rather just die than be so fat. Brutal statement. But then I see my kid and understand how much she needs me (and wants me to be happy too), that combination is incredibly motivating. I think a lot of morbidly obese people "want" to lose weight, but until they find an overwhelming reason to "have" to lose weight, they're going to struggle. I "want" a lot of things. I do the things I "have" to. I have to lose weight. I have to get lean. I have to maintain a healthy lean weight for the rest of my half spent life. I might want all that stuff too, but just wanting will never make it happen. ****, I want a private jet! I don't have to have one.

BTW, you are a big inspiration for me. Most people I see on the Marks forum are all of 150 pounds, and not too many here are morbibly obese, or even obese, so finding a couple that were at least over 220 pounds was comforting to me.

SusanB is a big inspiration to me. She's been here since 03 and she's still here every day encouraging others while she maintains and improves. That's way more awesome than me dropping almost 70 pounds in 3 months. There's others I could mention, but I'll just put the pressure of being an inspiration on her for now. :p

I do agree about Mark's forums. He's such an awesome dude that he's attracted a very young and robust fitness crowd we fatties have a little difficulty relating to. But his plan is for us too, maybe even moreso. And the whole life approach appeals to me to no end. He told me to play more. That has brought me as much joy as losing the weight. There's actually a bunch of very obese posters there reporting success. You just have to weed through the journals.

Okay, I am done here for the day. Time to go play!

Mikkijoe
08-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Ever get in the zone and just have so many thought to get out that they come out faster than your head can make proper sentences out of? Ummm Yeah, my writing sucks when I get excited.

But I had things on my mind and heart I had to get out! Hope they were not too confusing!

Encouragement is what we are all here for, but I am always sensitive to those who may feel they have disappointed the peers when the performance has declined for what ever reason.

Anyway, nuff said, other than I love all the great support and knowledge here! I am on other forums, but really am getting 'fed' on this right now

koceank29
08-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Wow, lots of chatting going on, I'll catch up later! Just stopping by to say howdy! I talked earlier about the clutter at my house so today after my morning client I came home and have been tackling the beast. Primal eating has given me so much energy I can't even keep up with myself lately. My brain sometimes feels like its telling me what to do and I'm 3 steps behind! My husband says its like I'm the energized bunny now!

So yesterday I had 3 thin sliced pork chops for breakfast and 3 eggs and didn't eat again til 5, I told my friend what I ate and she nearly had a heart attack! Today I skipped breakfast and ate a hodge podge of primal snacks throughout the day. I need to load up on some veggies tomorrow, I'm thinking of collards and coconut milk for lunch.

Have a great weekend everyone! Can't wait to catch up on the thread.

CJZee
08-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Does Coconut oil have a coconut flavor? And what is used for high heat in oils? does coconut oil stand up to high heat, since olive oil and grape seed oil does not, Lard is something I cannot wrap my noodle around.....it is what I make soap out of--not eat LOL

My coconut oil has NO coconut taste whatsoever and it cooks like a dream. It is called Jarrow's Formula, and on the side it says "Neutral Taste, Neutral Flavor." (I think they have another one that tastes of coconut, but I wanted to use mine for cooking and didn't want the taste.) Hope this helps.

Also, Lard is fine but NOT grape seed oil -- I agree with Bob, don't use any industrial seed oils. My mom used to cook with lard and bacon grease. Oh, the wonderful pie crusts she made with lard! They were glorious.

CJZee
08-07-2010, 08:23 AM
... but I lost 20 pounds and about half my hair, I swear!

Hi CherBear ... I was posting here not long ago about how my eyebrows are really thickening up (a good thing, as I'm of that age when they tend to thin out).

Also ... and I just realized this ... my hair is down almost to my waist. I have had long hair for years, but always had a hard time growing it much past my shoulders. I just tell the hairdresser to trim off the split ends, and don't pay much attention to it in the back. Somehow it went to from shoulder length to almost my waist in the last year or so. I am sure this way of eating has something to do with it.

srmb60
08-07-2010, 10:21 AM
SusanB is a big inspiration to me. She's been here since 03 and she's still here every day encouraging others while she maintains and improves ... I'll just put the pressure of being an inspiration on her for now.

Well, well, well ... how to respond to that. You might note that I don't have to but I'm a prideful thing and want to :D

Other than nursing and being a wife and mother, 3FC is the most long-lived "habit" in my life. I feel very strongly that we each have abundant life and should be able to enjoy it. Our bodies are marvelous machines capable of healing, dealing and fun. What do we expect our bodies to run on, if it is not our food? Proper maintenance of our machine is far more important that sickness care.

There are a couple of things about weight loss that I believe to be true.

1. Anybody can do it. I am not special in any way.
2. Yoyoing is not failure. It simply means that you have not found "the" lifelong plan for you yet. And I guess that if someone has to be an example of that ... I'll do it.

The general health of our society is dreadful. Can I help in a big way? No. Can I help in a small way? Sure.

I am what I am and it ain't fancy. If you are encouraged by me ... I feel honoured.

Just by the by ... there is not one post in these primal threads that I do not find encouraging. And I wouldn't know proper grammar and/or punctuation, if it jumped up and bit me.

sparky1946
08-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Wow SilverLife!

I checked out your links and am overwhelmed with the information. The few things I did not like about the Paleo Diet guidelines of Cordain was the no dairy. We eat grass-fed beef and poultry and also drink raw milk from grass-fed cows. I did not want to give up the daily glass of milk.

I did not see much mention of veggies, so I assume they are OK if they are low starch? Also, what is the feeling about olive oil. I like cocoanut oil but my DH hates it and so I have been sticking to butter, ghee or olive oil. I go back and forth on canola and whether it is OK.

I am of Polish heritage and ordered Dr. Kwaśniewski's book and am excited to see if I can tweak my Paleo to align with that heritage. Thank you so much for that link!

I am new to the forum as well.

BibBob
08-07-2010, 11:56 AM
I did not see much mention of veggies, so I assume they are OK if they are low starch? Also, what is the feeling about olive oil. I like cocoanut oil but my DH hates it and so I have been sticking to butter, ghee or olive oil. I go back and forth on canola and whether it is OK.

Alright SilverLife! You hooked another one.

Hi Sparky,

Cordain/Paleo is a little more suspicious of veggies than Sisson/Primal. We lean primal here. Primal says the bulk of your diet should come from veggies. Big plates of veggies are great. Mark's favorite meal, and he has a video at MDA of how he makes it, is a BAS (big arse salad). Fats will still make up the higher percentage of calories, but load up on your veggies. Olive oil is great, highly recommended unheated, but gently heated for cooking is fine. The light olive oil is refined a bit, so try to stick to extra virgin.

Just stick to the three key principles and you're practically primal.

1. No refined sugars
2. No grains
3. no refined oils

Then don't go too crazy with the nuts and fruits. Macadamias and berries are preferred. Welcome aboard and good luck.

BibBob
08-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Other than nursing and being a wife and mother, 3FC is the most long-lived "habit" in my life.

That's the inspiring part right there. Longevity, maintenance, making "weight loss" a lifestyle even after I have my goal-- that's the real success.

LLH2010
08-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Question: If I have been really good on my plan, staying under on my calories and carbs, how bad would it be to budget in one fried cheese stick? I would still be within the range I'm aiming for, but if it'll blow everything I will try not to eat it lol

sparky1946
08-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks so much BibBob.... I am unfamiliar with the Primal diet so just bought the book and should get it Tuesday. Just back from a Farmer's Market and bought a sh#% load of veggies so your clearing this up for me is so appreciated!

Sparky

sparky1946
08-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Hi MikkiJoe,

I am also going through Beck's workbook. I have had some issues lately that have ratcheted up the stress to the max. Probably a bad time to start a diet.

My cholesterol is high. I have been fighting with my doctor about statins (don't want them). He made me promise to get the weight off.
so I was thrilled to find the support here.

Do you use this thread as your "coach"?

Sparky1946

srmb60
08-07-2010, 03:06 PM
LLH2010? What's a fried cheese stick?

If it's breaded with grain flour, I'm going to say no.
If it's deep fried in vegetable oil, Bob's going to say no.
The paleo-ers are going to say ... ew cheese!

If that's the worst thing you do all week? Go right ahead!

Hi Sparky!

LLH2010
08-07-2010, 04:34 PM
LLH2010? What's a fried cheese stick?

If it's breaded with grain flour, I'm going to say no.
If it's deep fried in vegetable oil, Bob's going to say no.
The paleo-ers are going to say ... ew cheese!

If that's the worst thing you do all week? Go right ahead!

Hi Sparky!

It's fried mozzerella!! You've never tried it? Well don't, because they're delicious and addictive. I'm positive they are breaded in flour, and I'm not sure what they are fried in since this restaurant doesn't post that info, but I looked all over and they are estimated to have 6 g of carbs per serving. I ate a plate of cabbage for lunch to make room for that cheese stick though. :D

srmb60
08-07-2010, 05:23 PM
I am absolutely certain I would love those! and would probably have one if the opportunity arose. Oooo melting cheese ..... :love:

BibBob
08-07-2010, 07:44 PM
LLH, another huge selling point for me favoring Primal Blueprint was the 20% rule. The idea is we live in a world bursting with neolithic food temptations, some that we love. You have 20% to play with and fried mozzarella would definitely go in that category. Most of the time I am 100% counting dairy as primal, but I won't hesitate to enjoy birthday cake when the time is right, or a few slices of pizza, or a cold beer here and there. This message was important to me because we have to be realistic about a lifestyle going forward indefinitely. Since 20% is allowed, I do not consider it cheating, so I do not feel bad or like giving up. Having the cushion is good psychologically and emotionally. Just dip the cheese in marinara not ranch. Avoid the soybean oil in the dressing. :)

spanky
08-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Hey There,

LLH: Eat the Mozarrella Stick. If you don't, I will!!! Those things are so danged good!

Sparky: Welcome. I started to change to this style of eating during a horrid stressful time and it actually seemed to help my stamina for dealing with the stress. I was more stressed physically after a day of carb grazing.

Bob: I think for my son, since I cannot change the food at the overpriced daycare he attends, I'm just going to stick with making sure he does get enough lean protein and vegetables. I think the stuff he gets out of the house is all carbs--sometimes he'll get home and rip through a plate of chicken like he's protein starved.

Everybody: every post here inspires me and I also have a real admiration for the maintainers and regular exercisers. I really need that benchmark to shoot for!

Today I accomplished two huge goals that have been on my list for forever : I cleared out the garage so I could park inside this coming winter. It had become impossible to even walk through for all the junk and I got it cleared in about 4 hours.

Then I finally made up an "Adoption Book" for my son. I've been collecting pictures since he came home from Guatemala in 2007! I just couldn't get up the steam to go spend a million bucks on scrap book stuff and then spend a month glueing it all together. So today I went to Shutterfly, picked a format, uploaded the pix and typed the captions. Took me about 2hours. Now it's being printed up and bound as a book for him to have in a week or so. Whew--how easy was that?

[Speaking of the Energizer Bunny...] I'm just so stinkin' pleased with myself! :love:

Onward,

Spanky

Mikkijoe
08-08-2010, 12:56 AM
ok guys, got my book last night, been reading like a madcave man.

So I finally thumbed through the book (Primal) to see where I can figure out my formula, percentage of intake etc. I plugged in the numbers for my family, and set it for a 12 pound loss during the month....as I adjusted I began to wonder about this...

I figured my lean body mass, telling me what my protien intake needs to be
Then I set my carbs at 75 grams
once I multiply those out at 4 cals per gram, and add it up, the only thing left is to put the rest into fat, right???? and it is 9 cals per gram of fat,
This is what I came up with? Anyone care to give me your two cents worth?

103 grms protien
75 gms carb
116 grms fat

Coming from a low fat dieter (obviously THAT has not worked) the fat grams seem SO high, but is that just my brain?

296 lbs, 55% bmi, giving me a lean mass of 148 lbs. Intake 3156 to maintain, take off 1400 cals for a 12 pound a month loss......
If I change that amount to lose per month, and my deficit changes, does that all effect the fat only??? thats my big question

Mikkijoe
08-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Hi sparky...real quick, cannot let this one go by..you mentioned that with alot of stress in your life right now maybe this is not a good time to start a diet...I disagree. Sometimes in the chaos of stress that you have no control over the best thing you can do is take control of something very personal to you. Might as well start now and not let this episode of stress add additional pounds....Beck principals are perfect for the stress, the new diet porgram, for it all,....gets priorities and makes you take continual baby steps into getting healthy mentally/emotionally and physically
WELCOME here!

Ilene
08-08-2010, 01:18 AM
:welcome: to all the newbies :wave: the more the merrier I always say ...

I am embarassed to say that I have been extremely unPrimal this week... I've been drinking wine every single night and not just one glass either :cheers: ... I haven't been lifting or going to the gym and because that is such a huge part of my lifestyle I feel awful physically... I have been walking, running and biking daily though but to me that's just not the same, I love the feeling of having had a heavy workout... So tomorrow morning I'm going to the gym for sure... I think I'll bike there then afterwards go for a long bike ride...

sparky1946
08-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks MikkiJoe and Spanky for your insight and encouragement. I needed to read that...

I found a weight-loss hynosis tape that actually makes me slow down and breathe and it seems to be helping with my stress (2 of my grown children divorced with child custody/visitation issues and sad grandchildren). I have felt so helpless. I am a fixer and I cannot fix this.

But if I can fix my weight, maybe I will feel strong enough to at least "be a rock" for the little ones. Something to think about. I have felt out of control as my nice little world was falling apart.

I cannot wait to get the book on Tuesday. I am sure I will have as many questions as MikkiJoe about the calculations. Yesterday, I took SusanB's lead and signed up for FitDay. I plugged in my food consumption and came up with 532 calories only. I asked my husband if he remembered me eating anything else??? I am absolutely not hungry (hypnosis?). This morning I gained a lb. :(

I also did not come close to eating enough fat grams. Thank goodness for this forum and the Beck program as normally I would feel discouraged. I have to totally change my thinking about fat and carbs and it is going to take awhile.

Hugs to all....
Sparky

tymaboy
08-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Good morning everyone. Welcome to all the new ones that I have not had a chance to say hello to. Its great to see the thread take off like it has, gives me alot to read when I make it on.

I too have not been very good at eating primal. I found I have a much easier time eating primal when DH is not home. Friday I had a parent interview so by the time it was done DS asked what was for dinner. I had not even thought about it I was more worried about being ready for the interview so DH ordered a pizza. Yesterday we had a wedding. I did do better. I took a cupcake at the wedding but only ate 1/2 of it cuz it was really rich.

daleyexpress
08-08-2010, 01:29 PM
New to this site, but have been doing Paleo for about 35 days. I'm also in the OnRamp program of CrossFit. I have never worked so hard! I thought this may be a good support group for me.

Ilene
08-08-2010, 09:05 PM
:welcome: Daley :wave: Like I said the more the merrier, we luvs newbies here :dance:

A half a** primal day... Only one week of vacation left, I'm looking forward to getting back to a routine... I did make it to the gym this morning it felt really good...

srmb60
08-09-2010, 04:33 AM
Good morning!

Yes! We do welcome all newcomers! It's great to see you here.

Yesterday was my day for crap. Potato chips, peanuts, candy, lite beer. Picnic at the neighbours'. It was fun.

I got a nice little bit of walking in this weekend and some elliptical.

I've got no eggs this morning. I'm not sure how I let that happen. Bacon and eggs for breakfast has become a staple for me. I think I'll try fruit and creamed coconut and still take my coffee shake to work.
Beef roast is in the crockpot.

Hmmm and now it 3:30 in the morning. Might be a long day.

wildviolets
08-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Morning everyone...so much action on this board....it's great!

Welcome new comers (though i'm kinda new myself).

Bob, I worried about putting pressure on you at one point....your weight loss is just so exciting as is your dedication to this way of life. Guess I'll start to quietly cheer and stop living vicariously through you. (hehe)

And yes I agree SusanB and Ilene are inspirational women.

So I did terrible traveling in the car.....constant snacking and eating and drinking. I'm bloated beyond recognition....well maybe not that bad but I feel crappy. I finally got a print copy of PB (my kindle version is just too hard to read) and I'm going to start focusing on the exercise. I understand the food options and have come to really enjoy them. I cheat WAY too much (more like 50/50) and I'm going to be better about that. But I need to start focusing on the exercise too.

Well have a good Monday all. Going to make a good curry for dinner. I think the ingedients are all primal but I'm not sure what to serve it over. Any suggestions? I'll make rice for DH but I want to do my best not to eat any of it.

sparky1946
08-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately, farmers don't raise nice fatty pigs anymore.

Hi all,

My numbers yesterday (myPlate) were:

Cal: 990
Fat: 66 g
Carbs: 50g
Protein: 55g

I haven't lost anything but it might be because I spent all weekend with my butt in a chair reading the Primal posts from April on. What a terrific journey you all have been on. Found some great links and the Cholesterol explanation made my day. Remember my doctor worries about my arteries:(

I think my calories are too low (haven't got the book yet) but I just did not have any fatty meat in the house. I have turkey this and turkey that. Grass-fed beef which I guess I will have to dip in butter to up the ante.
I just cannot figure out how tiny little Susan gets all that protein and fat in her. My metabolism must really be shot. Because I am eating very little as I'm not hungry. Nothing after 6pm as well. I gotta let lose:carrot:

I am going for my morning walk and then I am going to take a nice long bubble bath and get up the nerve to take my measurements. Yikes!

Hugs,
Sparky

PS - I, too, wait for Bob.....

BibBob
08-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Bad news. It looks like I pushed too hard. Saturday night, actually about 3am Sunday, I woke up with excruciating pain in my bad toe (left big toe). I've written in past month's about my various recurring injuries. Tendinitis in my toe is the worst of them. It has been under control lately and walking hasn't aggravated it like more intense workouts. But it was literally killing me at 3am. I was moaning in pain trying to figure out what I did to it. For a minute I was sure my toe was fractured. Then I realized that was impossible. It happened in my sleep. I thought maybe I got bit by a nasty spider or something (Brown Recluse and Black Widow are common out here).

Long story short. I have gout. Monday morning and I still cannot put any weight on it. I have been treating it, reading and researching on it for about 24 of the last 30 hours. I still cannot put a sock on it let alone any weight. I think I have a pretty high pain tolerance from years of dealing with my back, but this is ridiculous. I'm eating ibuprofen (too much) and it helps it be tolerable when elevated and at rest, but not when I move. Ouch.

There's a lot of accusations that low carb diets cause gout. They could. It's a high uric acid issue. But the more I read, I became convinced it was the crash dieting (fasting) that brought this on. Fasting causes uric acid to rise through dehydration. A double dose of uric acid is then created by the burning of fat cells I have been so excited about. The kidneys can't keep up by excreting all the uric acid. The surplus coursing through the veins then forms nasty barbed crystals that anchor in joints and... pain.

Once you have it, you always have it. It's listed as a disease. Nice. I'm pretty pissed about that. There's wild differentiation in the opinions of what foods to eat and avoid, but it is agreed that, like diabetes and metabolic syndrome (my other worries), it can be controlled through diet. I'm convinced Primal Blueprint is a good diet for gout control, even though some would argue it caused the gout. It didn't. Accelerated weight loss explains my case quite accurately. I need to focus on alkaline and alkalizing foods. No refined sugars, no refined grains (haha), but also no organ meats and sardines, and an interesting debated list of foods from there.

I'm not good at losing weight slowly. It bores me. But I have to be smart about this. I've been planning a major battle for August since May because I knew there was a brick wall of a plateau around this weight. Apparently, I had no idea just how prepared my body was to defend its fat ***.

Good morning everyone.

tymaboy
08-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Sorry to hear that Bob. Be careful with the amount of ibuprofen that you take. I know if you take so much in a certain time frame or even days on end it will mess with your stomach.

Mikkijoe
08-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Bob: So sorry to hear that! But how nice of your body to let you get 3 great months in before it let gout raise its ugly head. I hear you about slow weight loss being boring and discouraging (oh wait, you did not say discouraging, I DID!) But the time was soon coming to slow down some, a month earlier than you wanted, but I have faith that you can take this is stride, with the great positive attitude you have. I am a person that believes in prayer, and I am praying for ya buddy!

sparky1946
08-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Bob, I am so sorry.

You amaze me....how you research this stuff and make sense of it in such a short amount of time. I totally get your "slow weight loss bores me". I know you want this so much.

Thank you for educating us with your research and wisdom.
Sparky

Mikkijoe
08-09-2010, 12:51 PM
So yesterday was the first formal day in the life of a caveman.
B- 3 eggs, 1/4 c cheese, zucchini and tomato scrambled with a pat o' butter
Snack- nectarine and cashews (know it is a less- beneficial fruit, but I have some I need to use
Dinner-- 10 ounce steak, fried cabbage, rainbow chard with bacon and onions, and a topping for my steak made from a super hot fresh salsa we made mashed into an avacado....sqeezed fresh lime onto all...delightful!
Snack-- frozen blueberries and strawberries with 3 TBL cream

SO my cals were higher than I planned, but my carbs were right on target!
1684 cals
111 fat grm 62%
50 carbs 11%
113 protien 28%

So I feel pretty good about that, I was hungry alot during the day--but I contribute that to being home all day (unusual) and reading the Primal book all day and focusing on food!

Today though---not impressed with myself, I woke up at the last minute, and did not pack my lunch or eat breakfast.....my first IF I guess LOL Maybe I will get out of here for a few minutes to grab my salad, but I need to get some protien to put on it.

Pork chops for dinner, zucchini and patty pan squash cooked in butter, fresh garlic n onion, and fresh basil, with tomato tossed in at the last minute

koceank29
08-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Welcome to all the new faces!

Bob- poor guy! Just an obstacle, I'm sure you'll come out fine on the other side. You are one determined individual!

So I made it to the gym finally this morning. I did my Crossfit routine, I had plenty of looks at the gym since most people stay on the treadmill/elliptical for the usual 45 min then do their weights, I was on the treadmill for 400m, then to the weights, then to the treadmill...at least the new me doesn't care what people think, I know this workout works so I just do my thing and let them do theirs.
I have some kind of problem holding egg cartons, not sure why but I consistently break eggs! Whats the deal, even when I try not to. I bought 5 dozen last week and then broke 1.5 dozen 2 nights ago.
So I had 4 strips of bacon and 2 eggs in coconut oil for breakfast today, I'm skipping lunch and having an early dinner of pork chop and collards. I think I could eat collards every day of my life if my husband would tolerate it.

Have a great Primal or Paleo day everyone!

Mikkijoe
08-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Like my new avatar? huh huhh? Pretty hot I am!
Just in case you wondered, I am Wilma, Betty has a better body, but she is a little too ditzy for me!
I have my picture I want to upload, but it wont take it for nuthin! Frustrating, so I figured hot cavewoman was in store!

CJZee
08-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Hi everyone ... just wanted to let you know I'll be out of "computer-range" for a couple of weeks in Europe so if you could send a few thoughts my way so I stay on plan, it would be appreciated.

You all might remember I was hoping to get to 199 for the wedding (not mine, my nephew's), which is this Sat. I've made it down to 202 so there is a slim (nice word!) possibility of me getting hitting 199 in the next few days. Don't know if they'll have scales where I'm going, but I'm happy I'm so close. It would be nice to come back to the US in Onederland.

Usually on trips, my goal is to not gain weight. This time I'll try to continue to lose.

Bob, sorry about the gout. A girlfriend of mine had it in her 20's and I don't think it has ever recurred, so there is hope. (She's in her 50's now.)

Thanks, everyone -- old and new -- for being on this thread. It makes me feel grounded. CJ

spanky
08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Monday.....

Bob I thought I just read something about gout being affected very little by diet. It was in some online notes from Good Calories Bad Calories. Here is the link:
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/10/05/gout/

Meanwhile, walk softly!

I am in a rough patch today. I haven't slept in over 24 hours and am feeling totally ragged--a side effect of menopause, I have learned. No earthly idea how I got through my workday, but it's just a few minutes to quitting time. Whew! I barely ate anything and was dressed this morning before I weighed in. I was too dang tired to strip down and weigh myself, so I guess it'll wait until tomorrow. Now all I have to do is pick up my son from daycare, get him fed, and crash!

Hoping for a good night's sleep--my best to all!

Spanky

sparky1946
08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
I went to the store.
I bought a lot of pork.
I had a huge pork steak.
It tasted so damn good.....:D

My measurements:

bust 42"
waist 41"
hips 43.5"
r thigh 26.5

There I did it!

I think, as a woman, your risk of a heart attack when your waist is more than 35" is like 100%.

Breathe...

Sparky

wildviolets
08-09-2010, 06:36 PM
CJ where are you going again? I went to Italy with my family (Tuscany area) in April and I lost a few pounds! Believe me there was so much good food and wine but we walked so much and ate so healthy just as a matter of course. I hope the same for you!

Spanky I have had bouts of sleeplessness which I blame on hormones....one thing that helped was ear plugs. Not that my DH snores or anything, but I found that any little sound would wake me and then I'd be up for hours and hours. With the earplugs I could hear my son if he really needed me but I wouldn't here my DH coming to bed or just the normal house settling noises. Just an easy thing to try if you are interested. I've been pretty good lately mostly due to this lifestyle I believe .....or maybe my hormones are behaving, I don't know but I'm grateful. I have a little boy like you and he's full of energy so I hate to be a walking corpse with him.

Bob, sorry about the gout. I know nothing about it but I'm sure you will figure out how to work around it. Wish I were more helpful.

walking2lose
08-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Hi all -- Really hungry day here. I just don't think I'm getting quite enough protein. I spent so many years eating rice and beans and the like that it's a real chore for me to remember to thaw some meat! DH reminded me we had a frozen pack of ground free range beef and a frozen free range steak!! Dang, I wish I had that tonight. Both are thawing now.

Bob - I am so very sorry to hear about your gout. I googled it, and the pain was described just the way you described it -- how horrid. Like everyone else said, I certainly hope it's something you can recover from. Hang in there and take good care of yourself!

Everyone else -- it's really nice having so many people on here now. If anyone is willing, I would love to know names -- so much easier (I can't remember all the monikers!).

I'm Claire. I've got Susan and Ilene down -- nice easy names, and we used to be featherweights together. Bob -- got that down. I'm a little ADD, and I would love to have a name to put with the other Primal/Paleos.

Off to eat a late dinner of eggs and veg. Night all!

tymaboy
08-10-2010, 12:05 AM
I have problems sleeping at nite as well. I always have a fan going. DH hates it expecialy in the winter. But then I also get hot much faster then he does. In the winter he will sleep with 4 blankets on & I will go from 1-2 blankets threwout the nite.

The last few nites I have been getting my bike out (motorcycle) That helps me not much or get hungry at nite. My friend & I go riding around town just to ride. By the time I get home it 8:30-9:00pm then i hop in the hot tub for 30- 60 minutes. I keeps me occupied so I am not thinking of food. I wish I burned more calories riding the bike then whatever the amount is.

Ilene
08-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Bob so sorry to hear of your gout problem :( you're such a strong man I'm sure you'll soon find a solution and feel better :hug:

I have a difficult time sleeping too I usually fall asleep then suddenly wake up and can't fall asleep again for an hour or so... at times my legs are very fidgety, so I take some calcium and magnesium which seems to help a bit sometimes...

I've been extremely off plan... Tomorrow I run at 9am thank goodness for that, then I have lots of housework to do so that will be my workout and then I just may go to the gym or do a workout at home, I really don't need equipment for the present workout I'm doing. Anyways, that's the plan...

srmb60
08-10-2010, 06:24 AM
Good morning! I do, indeed, dip my roast beef in butter.

I sleep with a fan too. Hey! Last night I slept until the alarm went off. Almost 8 hours.

Thawing meat ... oh yes ... there, I got steak out.

I like names too. Isn't it nice to see Spanky's face?

sparky1946
08-10-2010, 06:47 AM
Sparky1946's name is Sandy.

srmb60
08-10-2010, 07:00 AM
:lol: Sparky is the one with the lovely face! Spanky has a surfing dog avatar! :lol: Yes, it's good to have names!

sparky1946
08-10-2010, 07:14 AM
:lol: Sparky is the one with the lovely face! Spanky has a surfing dog avatar! :lol: Yes, it's good to have names!

I know he must be in a lot of pain still and probably not up to getting on the computer, but I worry that he is going to give up.

Bob if you are out there please let us know you are OK!

Hugs,
Sandy

wildviolets
08-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Hi All.

wildviolets names is Denise.

Found mouse dropping in my kitchen this morning and I'm trying not to obsess and freak out.........

CJZee
08-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi! My name is CJ (yes, really). I'm taking off today for Amsterdam where my nephew is getting married. See everyone on the flip side in a couple of weeks!

Ilene
08-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Great to hear name, CJ, Sandy and Denise... Now to remember them, HA! My memory is awful :dizzy:

Going running in a bit :woohoo: looking forward to it... Dull, dreary day here, I feel blah too...

tymaboy
08-10-2010, 10:26 AM
I am awful at remembering names as well.

CJ have a good time! Cant wait to here how your trip went.

My name is Dawn.

walking2lose
08-10-2010, 11:35 AM
I have problems sleeping at nite as well. I always have a fan going. DH hates it expecialy in the winter. But then I also get hot much faster then he does. In the winter he will sleep with 4 blankets on & I will go from 1-2 blankets threwout the nite.

The last few nites I have been getting my bike out (motorcycle) That helps me not much or get hungry at nite. My friend & I go riding around town just to ride. By the time I get home it 8:30-9:00pm then i hop in the hot tub for 30- 60 minutes. I keeps me occupied so I am not thinking of food. I wish I burned more calories riding the bike then whatever the amount is.

Those evening motorcycle rides sound awesome!!! Wish I could do that!

Mikkijoe
08-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Read all posts, thinking about you all, just no time to respond individually today (payroll day again)

Yesterday was a good day: No 'unthinking eating" for quite some time now--and I will say I think I have that entirely controlled!
Found a new favorite, I heated up my left over rainbow chard and put 2 over easy eggs ontop...grossed my family out, but it was a wonderful lunch.

B- nothing ( 17 hour fast)
L- chard and eggs
D- 2 pork chops with cajun seasoning, zucchini, patty pan and toms with basil butter,
Dessert to celebrate daughters 14th birthday- fresh blue berries, half a peach, half a kewi topped with 1/2 cup homemade ice cream! (frozen blue berrys and cream whipped in the food processor) No sugar, YEAH
Snack- 1 celery stock and almond butter

Low calories, which averages out with yesterdays higher cals, right on target for ratios though!

Still need to work on water today, but I am feeling pretty good, have energy in the morning--WOW, I just realized, I have energy! this is an unusual feeling.

Annette

BibBob
08-10-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm here. I am unable to walk without crutches. This stuff really is crazy painful. Just imagine the throbbing of a bad toothache but in your big toe. That's when the pain is mild. Sometimes it feels like my toe is on fire. It gets so fierce my blood pressure and pulse sky rocket and I breakout in heavy sweats sitting here on my butt. I have scripts for nsaids but haven't used them. Ibuprofen seems to give similar results with less side effects.

I decided to pull myself out of ketosis a month earlier than planned. Rapid weight loss in the middle of a gouty attack will just worsen and prolong it. In fact, I have read online a few times and been advised by another gout sufferer not to lose weight during an episode. Sigh. What I should and shouldn't eat is also driving me crazy. So far I have eaten potatoes and bananas to get the carbs up and out of ketosis. I don't like potatoes anymore. I had them with eggs twice and I make a pudding with bananas coconut cream and avocado that is kind of fun. Starch up and fructose down seems like the smarter move though. I'm not interested in food and having a hard time getting the calories up. How times have changed, eh? Last April I could knock out a couple thousand calories for breakfast with donuts and foo foo coffee. :)

As of right now, 9:10am pdt, with no ibuprofen, the pain is at it's lowest point since this began. I need to get to the grocery store, but I fear not having my toe elevated for that long.

Good morning everyone. Keep up the good work if you're doing it or get on it if you aren't!

Mikkijoe
08-10-2010, 03:04 PM
having my Big Arse Salad at my desk, greens, radish, celery, carrot, heriloom cherry tomatoes, and blue berries, with vinegar, EEVO and garlic dressing....along with 2 egg cups we baked off last night, (6 eggs, 1 cup cheese, shredded vegs, hot peppers, baked into 6 muffin cups) WOW this is a great brunch, I could really like this.

sparky1946
08-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Glad to see you are OK, Bob. I will say a little prayer that the pain will go away very soon. Remember you have lost 68 frickin pounds which is amazing and focus on maintenance until you heal.

I am starting my first IF today, I forgot that the last time I took off weight I fasted every 3 days for a day. I actually got 25 pounds off before I plateaued. If I only had appreciated what I had accomplished instead of getting all depressed 'cause I was stuck, I wouldn't be losing the same 25 pounds again.

Hugs,
Sandy

BibBob
08-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks Sandy, still feeling much better over here. I treated it about three dozen ways. Now I'm wondering what the heck worked. Just two ibuprofens about 6 hours ago. It hurts with weight on it, but I can avoid that gladly for now.

Mikkijoe, that's a great salad -- very primal. Nice. You sound just like me when I started eating this way. I loved it. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the food. Now, feeling free to eat rice and potatoes if I want because of this condition, or even have fun with a bunch of fruit... I'm just not interested.

I like real names for a forum like this too, but don't expect me to keep them all straight.

Mikkijoe
08-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Well Bob, you are unable to move around, you need a distraction, so YES I do expect you to keep all the names straight! LOL

I am excited about this plan--and about my Becks book study too--combine the two and it gives me hope. I am tired of not having hope, I am tired of being overweight, and above all I am physically TIRED! that is why the HOPE of this program is so important for me

wildviolets
08-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Can't get my stinking picture to upload....it's a crap picture to but it was something......

I don't eat breakfast anymore and that is totally fine with me. I ate a big lunch though (greek salad and pepper and cheese fritata). I have two friends come over for lunch every week and I tend to eat more when I'm socializing for some reason. So I'm skipping dinner because I'm still full.....but made some soy and ginger nuts to snack on.

This way of eating is pretty easy when you get on a roll.

Hang in there Bob.....maybe in the long run, you will find that something good comes out of all of this. If it were me I'd be head diving into some Ben & Jerry's so I'm glad you are not me. ;)

Nice pics ladies......Sandy you look alittle like Linda Evans (from big valley I think???)

MikkiJoe what is the beck book you are talking about? I'm a sucker for books.

Mikkijoe
08-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Wild Violets: The Becks Diet Solution--it is about cognitive therapy. takes a 6 week, step by step approach to retraining your brain, stopping sabatoging thinking and actions. Good stuff, and I am a sucker for a good book too at times

wildviolets
08-10-2010, 07:38 PM
I think I have that book somewhere or I have picked it up at the book store. I think cognitive therapy is very important for weightloss.......have you ever heard of EFT??? It's pretty simple and somewhat helpful.....when you use it.

Mikkijoe
08-10-2010, 08:05 PM
well in my many years of dieting I have been pretty diciplined about tracking what I eat. I usually track on Sparks, but just changed to fitday. I must say I am surprised in the difference I have noticed in the three days of tracking primal, vs the numerous 3 day periods I can pull from eating low fat, calorie restricted, and fairly processed free diet.

Typically I am very low in magnesium, manganese, B12 and B6, and iron.
With Primal I am at or over RDA for all of those, plus high in vitamin A and Niacin.......check that out! I am very impressed

srmb60
08-11-2010, 06:56 AM
Good morning!

Ibuprofen is a very effective but often overlooked medication.

Ya know what? I'm not finding steak to be very long-filling. Roast beef or a nice fatty pork chop work much better for me.

BibBob
08-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Good morning,

Getting a little better all the time here. No need for crutches but I have a profound limp and can only put wieght on the side of my foot away from my big toe. A cane comes in handy. I'm mastering the Dr. House cane walking style. :)

I ate chocolate chip cookies and milk last night when the pain increased. It does advance at night. Ooops. 20%!

MikkiJoe, I spent hours in the Becks threads when I first got here. I think the mental aspect of any life changing, health improving effort is more important than the physical effort or the tools. In other words, whatever you do and use to kick smoking or lose weight is not as important as your mental state. There's many proven routes to success but all the routes are also proven to fail. Think weight watchers and nicotine strips. Works for some, fails for most. The difference in success and failure is often between our ears.

I'm feeling bloated from the carbs and massive fluid consumption. I'm fairly convinced my gout was brought on by dehydration (and the high uric acid levels caused by fasting weight loss). Certainly keeping fluid very high help the kidneys get rid of the uric acid that causes the painful joint crystals.

I'm ready to get back to low carbing armed with information that hopefully should prevent this from happening again. I'm going to break a rule and weigh myself in a couple days to see what kind of damage I've done. I'm not going to fast more than 16 hours (earlier dinner and skip breakfast) until I get my uric acid levels measured and learn a little more about this condition. Weight loss will be slow and more importantly, pain free.

Mikkijoe
08-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Well last night we tried something new, I am not a fan of chicken livers, but do like beef if it is cooked well---and cooked by someone else! But, anyway, two nights ago we had pork chops that were inspired by a seasoning on a recipe on MDA, then we upped the red pepper, and tried out the original recipe for Cajun Chicken Livers (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cajun-blackened-chicken-livers-with-lemon-and-garlic/) It was VERY good, like I said we kicked up the spice alot, but once it is served on a bed of salad, and tossed with the lemon dressing it gives an entirely different taste.

cathochick
08-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm considering whether to switch from Weight Watcher's to Primal. Questions for all of you:

Did you lose the weight on another diet before switching to Primal/Paleo eating?

Do you count calories while eating Primal/Paleo to lose weight?

Do you modify your Paleo/Primal eating levels as your weight goes down?

sparky1946
08-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Lost 2+ pounds on the fast yesterday. So I am back to eating fat and protein today with under 50 carbs.

I was beginning to wonder if the scale would ever budge. I think I already lost the excess water weight last week but we will see tomorrow if the scale goes up eating primal.

My daughter is sick today so I have three little grandkids to chase around. I thought I was going to pass out this morning as I didn't get a chance to eat before they came over and I was still in a fasting state. I can fast if I have absolute SILENCE!!

Hugs,
Sandy

walking2lose
08-11-2010, 03:23 PM
having my Big Arse Salad at my desk, greens, radish, celery, carrot, heriloom cherry tomatoes, and blue berries, with vinegar, EEVO and garlic dressing....along with 2 egg cups we baked off last night, (6 eggs, 1 cup cheese, shredded vegs, hot peppers, baked into 6 muffin cups) WOW this is a great brunch, I could really like this.

Sounds delicious!

srmb60
08-11-2010, 04:50 PM
I'm considering whether to switch from Weight Watcher's to Primal. Questions for all of you:

Did you lose the weight on another diet before switching to Primal/Paleo eating?

Do you count calories while eating Primal/Paleo to lose weight?

Do you modify your Paleo/Primal eating levels as your weight goes down?

Hi Cathochick! I lost most of my weight calorie counting. Lean proteins and things that grow. The last bit and most of the inches have come since going primal. Fats, protein and things that grow ;)

I think a lot of folks find that they lose weight quickly at first and then learn as they go. Tweaking calories and fat percentages ... particular food sensitivies ... toying with different exercises and so on.

BibBob
08-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi Cathochick,

I've lost weight on a dozen different diets. This past New Year's I resolved to change my lifestyle, not just my diet. That's how I see primal -- a lifestyle inclusive of much more than just a way of eating. It emphasizes health, not weight loss, but surely includes weight loss if needed. I think the ideas behind primal are superior to Weight Watchers long term.

I do not count calories or even carbs. I counted both for about a week, carbs alone for another week, then felt like I pretty much had it figured out. This is not a rigid diet plan. There's room for variety. Finding what works for you is key. Counting calories and macros helps some stay focused. It also drives others nuts. So whatever works is the most stress free primal option.

That doesn't mean there's not rules and guidelines. I recommend the books, Primal Blueprint and Good Calories Bad Calories. In it's simplest form, this is an elimination diet. It eliminates all grains, all refined sugars and oils. That's all sweets not in the form of fruit. It also limits fruit and nuts. Think of them as as needed only. There's a billion products made from refined seed and soy oil. Avoid them. Acceptable fats for cooking are all animal fats, butter, coconut oil, olive oil and nut oils. The mere elimination of these things will make you practically primal, cut your cals, improve health markers, and help control your appetite. It's grains and sugars that stoke appetite. As your budget allows stick to grass fed pastured meats, free range chicken and eggs, organic dairy and veggies.

Daily carb intake is discussed at length in the book. People lose and maintain on a variety of carbs. The basic guidelines are between 100 and 150 for maintenance, between 50 and 100 for steady weight loss, under 50 for obese seeking rapid weight loss.

Welcome to our thread whether you convert or not.

Mikkijoe
08-11-2010, 07:38 PM
See, I knew if I just waited a little bit that two of our experts would give some great answers!

So my 2 cents? (other than I responded to you on another thread) DITTO what they said!

Mikkijoe
08-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Did I tell y'all I was going on vacation next week?

And did I tell you that vacation was a camping trip?

And did I happen to mention that for that camping trip we have about 60 people going--AND I am doing all the menu planning, shopping and cooking..........AND...... wait there's more......and I have not made my FINAL menu plan or grocery list!

I am such a silly fool!

SO I think I can make a menu that will frugally feed the huge group and yet still be 90% primal for my family!

Thurs pm Steak Fajitas! (we will have corn tortillas if any)
Fri AM- grits, cheese, eggs, bacon (we may or may not have the grits)
Fri Noon- egg salad sammiches, veggies
Fri PM - soup (lentil, chili, veggie) Sammiches (grilled cheese, and PBJ)--(my family will have Soup, and will pack some roasted turkey, and cook steak for days like this)

Sat AM- Cold Cereal, and Hot Cereal, Fruit (we will have cottage cheese, blueberries, maybe some left over meat?)
Sat Noon Burgers and Hot dogs and watermelon, and salad (naked burgers and salad for us
Sat PM Haystacks (that is basically taco salad makings with chips on the side and you construct your own (we will have without the chips)

Sunday AM Breakfast burrito, Oatmeal Pancakes (we will have buritos on corn tortilla)

HMMMM, sounds like this forum helped me finalize the menu, and no, I did not have to do much altering for my family

cathochick
08-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the replies! I'm working up the courage to let go of the Weight Watcher's crutch. :-)

tymaboy
08-11-2010, 11:48 PM
I love to go camping. We dont go as often as we used to. We are to go Labor day weekend but we havent booked anything yet. Other then the cookies & chips that are normally taken my family usually does pretty good meal wise. Hamburgers, hot dogs, bratts, steaks, pork chops, eggs, bacon, sausage ect MMM sounds good.

koceank29
08-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Great menu Mikkijoe considering you'll be in the wild! Maybe you can hunt and gather! JK!

Just stopping by to say hello, I'm VP of the PTA this year and schools in full swing so I don't have much free time. Hopefully this weekend I can catch up on more postings.

Have a great day!

sparky1946
08-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Kara,

I just noticed that you are nearing the 100 lb lost mark!!!! That is amazing.

Thank God for people like you who are here and in it for the long haul. Such a great role model you are.

Hugs,
Sandy

Mikkijoe
08-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Two things real quick, then I will post more later:

Daughter weighed in yesterday and has dropped almost 4 pounds since Sunday! I did not weigh yesterday, and am a little hesitant to.....but maybe tomorrow morning.

They made butter chicken last night and it was ready when I got home! If you have ever had Butter Chicken at an Indian restaurant--oh man that stuff is good! BUT they were not thinking and made brown rice to serve under it. I did have half a cup, and then only ate about half of that. BUT guess what, I had a headache within 25 minutes...coincidental? Maybe, maybe not. And 2 hours later I was starving, Would that be a gluten reaction?
Anyway the butter chicken was fantastic, and we decided to use the sauce for an Indian inspired tomato soup at the campout. We will add some sweet potato cubes maybe.....spicey, rich, and primal friendly YUM

Ilene
08-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Mikki, it doesn't surprise me at all that you got a headache from the rice... Butter chicken :hun: can you post the recipe?

Just back from a nice slow bike ride, I'm tired today from the day trips we've been doing the last few days... Tonight we are going historical fort for an evening ceremony, DH and I love these things...

Haven't been very primal this week I don't even want to get on the scale...

Mikkijoe
08-12-2010, 03:50 PM
yup, I will gather the recipe!

SO, just when I was going to start doing some weight lifting (for serious!) I pulled some ligaments in my shoulder and have some bursa damage. And I wish I had some great story of how I was holding 5 gallon water jugs and doing lunges on the beach---but no. I was rolling over in my bed and I felt pain and instant hot in my shoulder.
So I am in a sling part time for the next 2 weeks, no heavy lifting at all.
Interesting, the doctor--of whom I have never seen before--said not to take pain medication if I could bear it at all, she said it would very possibly sabatoge all efforts of primal as it severely effects insulin levels--especially in women. BUT she said if I am in alot of pain take it anyway of course. Or if I find my blood pressure rising take Motrin. I have a high tolerance for pain, and she said I would probably be more aware of the BP going up than needing pain meds. ANYWAY, I know that huge run on paragraph probably does not make alot of sence, but I am hurting right now, and I know you will extend me some grace. (And yes, I am taking Ibuprofen right now, probably will need to all day since she about ripped my arm off during the exam and xrays LOL)

Other than that, life is good. Will be interested to see how the no weight on my arm for 2 weeks will go, especially with camping! She wants me to use it but not abuse it.

Ilene
08-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Aww Mikkie :hug: sorry to hear of your pain... Did your Doc know you were primal hence her reasoning that it would sabotage your insulin? Very cool doctor it that's the case...

I've been primal today, so far, we are not going out for supper and I'm happy for that...I want my own food today, I'm tired of restaurant foods, unusual isn't it?

Mikkijoe
08-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Actually the doctor did not know anything about me being on Primal until she suggested going home and having a nice cold beer and relaxing......I told her I was primal and cavemen did not have Budweiser! lol
She was familiar with the basics of primal, and how it works, which actually surprised me

Ilene
08-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Smart doctor!!

Mikkijoe
08-13-2010, 03:29 PM
So I got on the scale today –not my official weigh in. BUT I have a 5 pound loss already. I am also keeping in mind that I went from a low cal, low fat diet with plenty of water into the Primal diet with plenty of water….so I am not considering that to be all water weight. I am counting it as ‘fat be gone!’ Daughter has lost at least 6 and DH at least 9!

But my official weigh will be this weekend. I may even have some additional water weight since I ripped my shoulder (torn ligaments and muscle) and I have some inflammation. But none the less. I am wearing my sling and it is helping a little with the pain. Hard not to use my right arm.

Super busy this weekend planning for our trip. We had a short night last night, we all got up at 2am and drove about half an hour to the bass of the pass over the cascades (in order to get away from city lights) to watch the sky show! It was fantastic. We got back home about 4am, and I went back to bed for a bit, then got up for work.

wildviolets
08-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Hope you feel better Mikkijoe.......that sounds so painful!

I'd like that recipe too when you get a chance .....but take your time as I know you are in pain.

spanky
08-13-2010, 03:51 PM
O Happy! Friday!

Another white water week goes by. This nutty pace we're living at [and will stay at until DH graduates] really takes its toll. Just trying to keep our noses above water seems to occupy me fully...

I find I have lost my bearings and have to think about this. I'm just not planning the food well enough and start grabbing carbs when I get us home after the loooong day and we need to eat. Too frazzled to cook at that point.

Going to try to figure a plan over the weekend, I'm sure there's a solution. Maybe I just need to do a weekend grill-a-thon every saturday to keep us in burgers.....

Happy Friday,

spanky-not-sparky

tymaboy
08-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Hope Mikkijoe & Bob are feeling better.

DS & I went to the movies last nite. Other then the 2 guys behind us that felt the need to talk threwout the entire movie we had a good time. I think I ate too much popcorn. I normally dont like popcorn & wont eat it but last nite it tasted really good. Other then that I did pretty good yesterday. I didnt eat until 1:30 today & that was a 3 egg omelet w/ avocados, onions, 2 kinds of meat, home grown tomatoes & cheese. It was good! Now I just need to decide what to make for dinner tonite.

I'm hoping it will stop raining & dry up some so we can go out on the bike later. Yesterday I took it out on the highway & reached its top speed (65 mph) I wasnt as scared as I thought I would be going that fast on the highway. I think the winter will drive me nuts cuz I wont be able to take it out.

emiloots
08-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Hey ladies -

I stumbled on primal quite by accident, started the P90X program, but disagreed with the nutritional plan. Too low fat, exhorbitantly high protein so I modified it for myself. Found Mark Sisson's blog and guess what - apparently my diet is basically primal (ok lacto-primal)! So thought I'd come on over here and join the fun. I'm still working on completely eliminating wheat, 3-4 times a week I have a single slice of toasted sprouted grain (no flour)bread but that's it. My carbs are still between 50-100 grams daily.

I come from a long line of pre-diabetes women, have had my own issues with hypoglycemia since I was a kid and some pretty severe bouts of it while pregnant so this way of eating makes a lot of sense. I've been eating to satisfaction and just logging my food and am coming in at 1300-1400 cals daily, seems a little low considering some of the suggested intakes, but I'm just not hungry anymore. Looking forward to meeting you all and hearing your stories!

koceank29
08-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks Sandy! I have been on this rollercoaster a long time, and had a pregnancy in between but Primal finally has helped my body do what its supposed to.

Mikkijoe, so sorry about the injury. Congrats though on the loss, that is wonderful!

I have been slacking some the past few weeks, I think I have been using my busy life as an excuse to indulge one too many times. I need to refocus my efforts! I did great at the store today, loads of veggies, meats, eggs, cream. I bought some Vitamin D too, I haven't been in the sun as much as I was in June, July and it is really affecting my mood lately, at least I notice the difference. Business is really great right now so I'll be working all day tomorrow and then I have 3 new clients lined up next week, unfortunately that messes with my workout schedule so I'm going to spend some time Sunday charting my routine for the week so I'll stay at it.

I having some wine right now, its a treat for myself after a crazy night last night at our first PTA event for the year, I'm enjoying some peace and quiet and wine! The kids are in bed and my DH is at work so its nice and unusual!

Emily, Welcome! It sounds like you have Primal down good. It is true that sometimes you just aren't even hungry after only having a minimal amount of food. That really shocked me since I've always battled always being hungry. The p90x workout is great, I love it, but definitely the eating is not my style. Sometimes I wonder if the people who put these things out really eat like that or maybe eat more like us and just find they have to do the low-fat diet stuff to sell their product. Makes me wonder???

Hope everyone has a great Saturday! See you Sunday!

BibBob
08-14-2010, 02:19 AM
I having some wine right now

I can has wine too?

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/4/25/ihasafriday128536052975792678.jpg

LLH2010
08-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Hey! Just popping in, I've been pretty busy this week with school, clinicals and tests, but I've stayed on plan for the most part and I've noticed that I'm eating a lot less, already. Is that normal or am I just lucky? :) Anyway, I have to get back to studying, hope everyone is doing well this week!

sparky1946
08-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Good Morning

LLH-I am not hungry at all either so I guess we all are lucky. I have this feeling that I need to be crunching chips or the like at night but I cannot really say it is hunger. More likely boredom or habit - watching the news and snacking on something crunchy. I just keep on drinking water....

Hugs,
Sandy

srmb60
08-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Morning!
Welcome Emily!

Yup, eating less is normal. Fats and protein have far superior satiety value!

I'm on evenings this weekend so I have the mornings to putz around. We're having a backyard party next Saturday so I'm trying to get my house in order.

I was wondering what to take to work. On day shift I have big breakfast and then just nibbled cheese or pepperettes or something at lunch. But supper? I haven't taken any hard boiled eggs lately. Maybe I'll do that. Have my big breakfast a little later and nibble for supper.

sparky1946
08-14-2010, 10:27 AM
I was wondering what to take to work. On day shift I have big breakfast and then just nibbled cheese or pepperettes or something at lunch. But supper? I haven't taken any hard boiled eggs lately. Maybe I'll do that. Have my big breakfast a little later and nibble for supper.

Susan,

Always wondered, just what are pepperettes?

Sandy

koceank29
08-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Bob...funny! I didn't drink enough to relaxed like that cat unfortunately. I think I need more practice!

srmb60
08-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Pepperettes are little pepperonis. Very portable!

My holistic pork lady sells them. I wish I could get my hands on some venison ones.

BibBob
08-14-2010, 05:45 PM
No doubt increasing the carbs comes with appetite. The reason I decided to do it is a little technical (and could be unnecessary but gout really hurts). I am constantly hungry right now. I go to bed hungry, I wake up hungry. I am eating 3 squares (primal but high carb). I've eaten two pounds of cherries in three days. I've eaten a banana or two daily. I'm eating citrus, plums, prunes and grapes; lots of carrots, celery, purple cabbage, onions and garlic. All of this is supposed to be gout healing or preventative. I'm hungry.

I need to spend a couple more days in LA. I am leaving here in a few minutes and hope to be home Monday night. I still cannot walk without a pronounced limp and even then I can only be on my feet for about 10 15 minutes. My ankle is swollen from compensating for the big toe. I am expected at a farmer's market tomorrow for a few hours. I sure hope I am not miserable.

Happy weekend all.

sparky1946
08-14-2010, 07:04 PM
HI SusanB,

Does your holistic lady sell lard? My husband can't even stand the smell of my cooking food for myself with coconut oil. I have read that lard has lots of vitamin D.

I found a bison farm that also sells other farm's stuff and I got me some lard. It is from pastured pigs so I am looking forward to trying it. Too bad refried beans are not allowed.

Am fasting today. I think I may have gotten over the low-carb flu today as well. It's either that or fasting really agrees with me!

Hugs,
Sandy

srmb60
08-15-2010, 12:36 AM
I haven't made the leap to lard yet. Gives me the heebie geebies thinking about it. Butter is delicious. Bacon grease I can do. Lard ... give me time, I guess.

srmb60
08-15-2010, 02:00 PM
DH just called to say that the store was too busy to go for lunch but he was starving. Left-over bacon and scrambled eggs in a tupperware container. Cheese and carrots in baggies. Not fancy but easy. Who needs fast food!?!

sparky1946
08-15-2010, 02:03 PM
I haven't made the leap to lard yet. Gives me the heebie geebies thinking about it. Butter is delicious. Bacon grease I can do. Lard ... give me time, I guess.
The farm I went to also has frozen bags of pig fat that you can render down to lard. I think bacon grease is lard with more flavoring in it. The stuff you can get in the grocery store is probably hydrogenated and chemically "cleaned" beyond recognition.

Hugs,
Sandy

emiloots
08-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Sandy - I haven't tried fasting yet, but was just wondering. Do you typically break your fast by eating something small at the end of the day or do you follow another schedule. I've heard anywhere from 16-24 hours is advisable but have no experience to draw from.

sparky1946
08-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Sandy - I haven't tried fasting yet, but was just wondering. Do you typically break your fast by eating something small at the end of the day or do you follow another schedule. I've heard anywhere from 16-24 hours is advisable but have no experience to draw from.
emiloots,

I am so not an authority but I really fast from 6pm one night, all day the next day, until 6am the following morning. It just dawned on me that that was more than 24 hours. (Is gout in my future??) Looks like I do 36 hours. I do not recommend doing this. If I eat in the morning, that seems to wake everything up and it is more difficult to fast. If I do not eat in the morning, I can go indefinitely with just water.

I was not able to be hunger free, until I started the Primal diet and kept carbs below 50g. Now fasting is effortless.

I broke my fast this am with BACON!!! I do not have a normal way of doing it, though. Just with whatever sounds good.

Here's a link that may help: marksdailyapple.com/how-to-intermittent-fasting. I do not have enough posts to use an actual link.

Sandy

babygrant
08-15-2010, 02:40 PM
So I've been doing reading about primal/paleo and it seems to really click. I've been gluten free for a couple of weeks now and my anxiety/depression has lifted, stomach problems have stopped, and canker sores have been gone. Yesterday, due to poor planning, I ate a bun and within a couple of hours I had a panic attack, incredibly sore stomach, and woke up this morning with 5 or 6 canker sores brewing. Ouch.

My worry about primal is finances. I would be a vegetarian except for my body does NOT do well on a vegetarian diet. We eat humanely raised chicken that we buy from a mennonite community and deer/elk/moose that DH shoots and butchers himself. We very very very rarely buy meat from the grocery store. We are running low on venison and We eat a whole chicken about once every couple of weeks. We would eat more of the chicken but it's beyond our budget since one 7 pound chicken costs us almost $20.00. We do eat about 3 dozen eggs a week.

I'm just not sure what to do. I really want to avoid buying farm raised meat, and I cannot cut anything else out of the budget so that I can buy more organic farm raised meat.

Any suggestions?

Ilene
08-15-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm just not sure what to do. I really want to avoid buying farm raised meat, and I cannot cut anything else out of the budget so that I can buy more organic farm raised meat.

Any suggestions?:welcome: babygrant.... I think this is also where the 20% rule comes in, I don't and can't afford to buy farm raised meat, I do get venison once in a while. With 2 kids in university, it's just not possible at the moment... I just do what I can, later, when we can we'll go grass and farm raised for sure... Doing it this way I can still lose weight on Primal...

I've been hungrier than usual to0 and I know it's because of my vacation time off and eating way to many processed carbs, no even good carbs at that... Vaca ends tomorrow BTW and I'm actually happy to get back on schedule...

Today we ran/walked it is so humid and hot it was very hard to run, we should gone inside the Complex in the air conditioning but alas we didn't

Bob, hope you feel better soon...

sparky1946
08-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Wow what a testimony to kicking the carbs especially grains. My SIL is on the IP diet and due to poor planning also ate a sandwich yesterday and became very sick. But your reactions were in a class by themselves, babygrant.

Like Ilene, I don't always eat grass-fed. We were able to put together enough dough to buy a quarter of a cow and we treasure each and every bite.

We live close to two grocery stores and if you go in the am, you can find bison and some organic beef and chicken marked down as they are getting close to expiring. I have gotten burned a couple times with the chicken but usually the meat is fine.

I hate eggs! I have tried numerous times to choke them down as they are so quick and convenient and good for you. So you are lucky there.

I think pastured pork is not as expensive as beef here and you can get less meat in a bundle. (pigs are smaller so...)

Mennonite chicken is such a treat. It is hard to get it here.

Maybe try making friends with the farmers in your area? Many farmers cannot call themselves organic or grass-fed/finished but actually raise their animals quite well. They may be able to work out something with you and others that may be willing to share a quarter.

One Paleo/primal expert takes a dose of Carlson's cod liver oil when he has to eat conventional meat, to counter the high Omega 6's. This may be a solution for the time being. Carlson has a lemon-flavored version that is not too bad and can be mixed into a smoothie and not be noticeable.

Welcome to the forum!

Hugs,
Sandy

PS - I know this doesn't help 'cause if you don't have the money, you don't have the money, but I am old enough to have learned that not being the correct weight causes health problems that in the end can wind up costing a whole lot. Also, the constant search for THE answer, can cost time and money. I now go around the outside of the grocery store and spend way less than I used to. If I had a green thumb, which I don't, I could grow the veggies I needed and save even more.

Good Luck!

babygrant
08-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Maybe try making friends with the farmers in your area? Many farmers cannot call themselves organic or grass-fed/finished but actually raise their animals quite well. They may be able to work out something with you and others that may be willing to share a quarter.

One Paleo/primal expert takes a dose of Carlton's Cod liver oil when he has to eat conventional meat, to counter the high Omega 6's. This may be a solution for the time being. Carlson has a lemon-flavored version that is not too bad and can be mixed into a smoothie and not be noticeable.

PS - I know this doesn't help 'cause if you don't have the money, you don't have the money, but I am old enough to have learned that not being the correct weight causes health problems that in the end can wind up costing a whole lot.

In BC Canada you cannot sell meat unless you are a certified arbetoir (spelling???). So you have to buy meat from someone who is certified to be raising and butchering meat. I can buy beef from a farmer for $5.99/lb. Way too expensive for us. Only way you can get it cheaper is to do it "illegally" and buy from someone who legally isn't allowed to sell and I haven't found a farmer to do that yet, lol.

I used to take Carlsons but I burp up fish oil for hours and hours. Its sick. lol. Any remedies.

Thankfully I live in BC and we have universal health care. We don't pay for doctors visits, hospital visits, hospital stays, etc. And DH has an incredible extended health plan for work. Woo hoo!

I bit the bullet grocery shopping and just picked up a big box of chicken breasts. I do feel bad because I don't like buying factory farmed meat.....but for now, my health is more important and once we get back on our feet financially I will start buying the organic meat again.

sparky1946
08-15-2010, 05:52 PM
babygrant,

It isn't "legal" here to buy raw milk but the producers get around it by selling cow shares. Have you checked into any organizations that support grass-fed producers in Canada? I use eatwild.com and localharvest.org to try to scout out sources in my area.

I do not have a remedy for the burping other than solid fish oil capsules, that may or may not cause the same thing. I guess I burp and am glad that my omega 3's are going to work. I don't actually burp all that much. :)

And don't even get me going on universal health care. We don't have it here which is precisely the reason I am so determine to take charge of my own health.

Didn't the depression and anxiety prevent you from "working" well either at home or a job? I have had severe anxiety problems as well and missed work a lot. I now work for my husbands business and can control the situation :0.

You just made me think about how I have been feeling calmer lately. I did not even think about this benefit. Hmmmmm....

Sandy

Mikkijoe
08-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Will have to wait till later to catch up...BUT had to add this thought. In reading about the lard, we did buy some the other day. And my daughter was just cracking up becasue it came in a little plastic container....a tub. So she was taking the groceries into the house, saying "tub o lard" and cracking up........14 yr old humor you know!

Hope your weekend is great, its almost over....off to finish it in style with a stuffed pork roast with spinach, garlic, onions, kalamata olives and feta

sparky1946
08-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Hope your weekend is great, its almost over....off to finish it in style with a stuffed pork roast with spinach, garlic, onions, kalamata olives and feta

This sounds yummy. How do you stuff a pork roast? I have one in the frig and I have memories of crispy roast pork falling apart when you try to cut it. I was going to try to recreate it. I gave up pork 10 years ago and am just getting back to it with this diet.

Sigh...
Sandy

srmb60
08-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Good morning!
Welcome Babygrant!

I'm another who just does the best I can cost-wise. My grassfed beef was only 2.50/pound. Fortunate, I know! I have not found good chicken yet, so we eat store bought. Not even the good kind, just what's on sale. The holistic pork is expensive. I haven't got around to buying a freezer package yet.
For my peace of mind, I have to believe that it's the basics that count. Fat, protein, vegetables ... no grain, no sugar, no chemicals. Perhaps some time in the future we'll be able to eat as cleanly as I'd like. But this has to be better than how we used to eat.
It's like balancing good, better, best and always having something to shoot for.

Ilene
08-16-2010, 11:07 AM
TMI ahead ... I sat on the toilet last night for an hour, flushing constantly KWIM ;) ... So anyways, when all was over I lay in bed thinking about what had just happened... Was it caused by all the bad food, wine, beer, I've been eating in the last couple of weeks? I also had the worse sleep ever last night? Was it caused by the bad choices? PROBABLY...I'm back on schedule today :yes: thank goodness I'm back to work...

sparky1946
08-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Well said as usual, SusanB...

$2.50 a pound is awesome, I know we paid closer to 4.99. I think each area is so different depending on the time of year. That's why I suggested researching. I have been surprised by different options that I found doing that. Also my meat guy sends out a note every once in a while announcing a bunch of lesser quality cuts that he did not want to sell as his best (usually very, very lean) and we have been able to get this at a 1.00 or more off.

I want to continue to make "friends" with the ranchers in my area. At least get on their mailing lists.

Hugs,
Sandra

tymaboy
08-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Just wanted to share with you all how my Dr apt went this morning. My cholesterol test was much better then last yrs (June 2009) I told her what I was eating & she was happy with the changes I made. I am also down 11 lbs from last yr as well! I also do not need to go every 6 months for a mammogram any longer!

srmb60
08-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Congratulations Dawn! That's awesome news!

Mikkijoe
08-16-2010, 07:40 PM
This sounds yummy. How do you stuff a pork roast? I have one in the frig and I have memories of crispy roast pork falling apart when you try to cut it. I was going to try to recreate it. I gave up pork 10 years ago and am just getting back to it with this diet.

Sigh...
Sandy

See! I knew I was not entirely bonkers by thinking I should have taken pictures of the roast as I was making it!

OK bear with me...I hope you are a visual person. Look at the end of the roast and picture a spiral, thats how we cut it. so across the top of the roast about an inch down you slice across until about an inch from the other side, turn it and do it over until you are in the center and you have one flat piece of meat. THEN I topped it all with fresh spinach leaves, entirely covered with 2-3 layers of leaves. Added several leaves of basil, then added sauteed mushrooms, onions garlic and peppers. Then topped with cheese. I thought I had feta, and did not so I used motz, The cheese was really lost in the roast so I would not add that next time. Then I rolled it back up! BUT get this, THEN I rolled it in a weave of bacon..........:lol: really I did! I layed out 6 slices of bacon about a half inch apart, and then wove in 6 slices the opposite direction, and roll the roast in that.....:dizzy:

It was fantabulous! and the bacon really helped it. You can easily just make a pocket in the pork roast too and stuff it, the pinwheel design does not make it taste any better

Enjoy pork!

Annette

sparky1946
08-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks so much!

I am going to do this tonight!

Sandy

Mikkijoe
08-16-2010, 08:46 PM
I know there is a recipe section, but I did not want this to get lost

Butter Chicken

• 450 gm Boneless Chicken (we used 2 pounds breast chunks)
• 2 tbsp Butter
• 2 tsp Lemon Juice
• ¼ cup Plain Yoghurt
• ½ cup Cream (cocunut milk--and doubled it to thin it down)
• 2 tbsp Peanut Oil (used olive oil)
• 1 White Onion (chopped)
• 1 cup Tomato Puree
• 1-¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
• 1 pinch Salt
• 1 tsp Chili Powder
• 1 tsp Cumin (Ground)
• 1 Bay Leaf
• 1 pinch Black Pepper
• 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste (make your own with knive side on chopping board)
• 1 tbsp Cornstarch (left it out)
• 2 tsp Garam Masala (this is a blend, we looked it up on google and made own)
• Water as required

• Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
• Saute white onion until it becomes soft and translucent.
• Put butter, lemon juice, ginger-garlic paste, garam masala (1 tsp), chili powder, cumin and bay leaf into the saucepan. Stir it for about 1 minute.
• Add tomato puree to the mixture. Cook it for 2 minutes while stirring frequently. (for soup we leave out the chicken and use 3 parts tomato paste and 1 part water--for butter chicken we use the puree)
• Add cream and yoghurt into the same pan and mix them well.
• Reduce heat to low and cook sauce for 10 minutes.
• Now add salt, black pepper and cayenne into the mixture. Remove the pan from heat.
• Heat oil (1tbsp) in a large heavy frying pan over medium heat.
• Cut the Chicken to bite-size pieces and wash it well.
• Cook chicken pieces until it gets slightly brown (for about 10 minutes).
• Reduce the heat and season the chicken with garam masala (1 tsp) and cayenne.
• Put 1/3 cup of the prepared sauce into it and cook until liquid get reduced (for about 5 minutes).
• Now pour the rest of the sauce into the chicken.
• Mix cornstarch and water well. Put this mixture into the chicken. (we did not do this)
• Cook chicken for 5-10 minutes, or until thickened. (got really thick so we added more coconut milk)
• Butter Chicken is ready to serve.

NOTE: we like spice, but used half of what it called for, actually we doubled all other ingredients, used additional coconut milk, and used the original amount of spice!

BananaMarie
08-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Hello all! I am new to 3FC, but not trying to loose weight, or even low carb. I tried Atkins about 7 months ago and lost about 5 pounds, then my mind snapped and I had nothing but Sandwiches and pasta for a week and gained it all back plus a few. I discovered Primal Blueprint thanks to a few friends and I am going to give it a try again. Because low carb did work as far as weight loss, but Atkins was too extreme for me. So today, I start again! My husband too, we both have a few to loose, me more than him.

Ilene
08-16-2010, 10:00 PM
:welcome: BananaMarie :wave:

Those recipes sound really good I'm going to try them for sure...

Today I was back to work and it felt good to have a routine and I was completely primal all day :dance: ... I already feel unbloated... During the 4 weeks I was off I gained 3.6lbs... Not so bad considering everything I ate :lol: .... Now I'm back to weighing every day.... I love to weigh daily...

Underwater Mushroom
08-17-2010, 05:25 AM
Hi! New to 3FC.

Has anyone here tried intermittent fasting (IT)? I've been on primal (with some cheating now and then) since the beginning of August, and I'm wondering if you all have any tips on using intermittent fasting to break a plateau...?

wildviolets
08-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Hey Dawn Congrats! I'm waiting til Sept or Oct to get my blood work done....hopefully it will be good too!

THanks for the recipe MikkiJoe. Both sound yum!

You all have such low prices on grass fed beef....our lowest (that I have found) is $9.99. Maybe more research is necessary.

Welcome all new people.

Mushroom - I think Bob is the one to answer the IF question. I frequently fast from 6pm - 12pm (18hrs) but rarely longer. I've been wanting to try something I saw on Dr. Eades blog about fasting every other day by eating dinner but quit at 6pm say and then don't eat til after 6pm the next day so you have 24 hour fast. He explains it much better on his blog. I also want to try to eat from 12pm to 5pm and thats it. I haven't been able to do that one yet.

Ilene
08-17-2010, 09:23 AM
:welcome: Underwater Mushroom :wave:

I IF once in a while but only for about 18 hours from 6pm or so till noon the next day... Bob is definitely the expert on IFing...

Off to work, I was down 1# this morning :D ...

Mikkijoe
08-17-2010, 12:41 PM
I have used a couple 12-17 hour periods for IF, but certainly not any valuable information here from me!

BOB ohhhhh BOB where are you???

I know for those with alot to lose (myself) frequent IF can be something to be concerned about, Bob can speak to that ---of only we could find him---

Mikkijoe
08-17-2010, 12:43 PM
WELCOME to all you newbies....

Have fun and take some time to absorb all the great information, tips, and successes here on this site, as well as on MDA (http://www.marksdailyapple.com) ---HUGE resource there!

Mikkijoe
08-17-2010, 02:58 PM
New favorite steak sauce: hot salsa (homemade) mashed into an avocado! Plus be coated out steak with oregano, cinnamon, chili pepper and black pepper, YUM

BibBob
08-17-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm here. My gouty toe is still throbbing 24/7. I'm exhausted from pain induced lack of sleep.

Hi Marie and Mushroom. Welcome aboard. UM, I'm a big fan of intermittent fasting for those who can do it. You need to condition yourself to it slowly. I know some manage it on higher carb intakes, but for me that's too difficult. When I am in ketosis, keeping carbs around 25 grams a day on average, the proteins and fats keep me satiated and I can fast easily. I overdid it with a number of 36 hour fasts (not recommended for noobs), lost a lot of weight and now am recovering from a gouty episode (painfully arthritic big toe).

So not only have I plateaued, I have gained about 10 pounds trying to heal. Oh well. I will be back on the program soon. Please don't let my experience deter you. I have had tons of success for a two or three week setback. Dehydration was likely the cause in my case. Well, a combination of things is more likely, but if you IF, drink lots of water.

A retired MD named Bert Herring wrote a great free Ebook for intermittent fasting.

Fast 5 (http://www.fast-5.com/content/welcome)

Great common sense there. Add primal foods to his IF program and you have what I call the gold standard for weight loss. I do not agree with his food advice even though you could shed weight doing what he says. I am convinced 100% with the health benefits of Primal Blueprint. As I reduce my carbs and get back into ketosis, my plan is to follow his 16-20 hour IF advice going forward. Of course, if this plateau perstists, I will starve because I am a fool like that. But this weight is coming off, the arthritic toe and broken metabolism are just going to have to deal with it. :)

Some caveats. If you're diabetic or hypoglycemic, don't IF. If you have a history of clinical eating disorders other than over eating, don't do it. If you're prone to arthritis pain, lol, be careful and eat something healthy and green every day. Maybe learn a little about alkaline diets that may be preventative. While you may find it easy to IF and keep calories very restricted, always try to average over 1000 a day with a focus on optimum nutrition. That seems to be close to a minimum without massive supplementation.

Good luck. I will be posting more often as soon as my toe feels better. It makes me a little negative. I find my appetite unruly when I am not ketogenic, which makes me a little angry, which is how I feel right now. Hungry and mad at the same time. I tried to stay low carb yesterday and failed with bananas, grapes and yogurt. Nuts seemed to help me a lot before, so I am going to add them today and see if I can keep the carbs down. I think there's plenty of healthy carbs we can eat primally, but in my case, they make weight loss impossible. /ramble

sparky1946
08-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Bob, are you the least bit surprised how all of us kind of have to have our "bob wisdom" fix. We miss it when you are gone for a few days. You show us so much courage and strength. When you make it through this journey, and you will, nothing will stop you from accomplishing anything you want. You are inspirational even when you are down.

Thank you for hanging in there. It gives us all hope.

Hugs,
Sandy

Mikkijoe
08-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah DITTO bob!

You are missed here, but I can certainly understand where you are coming from right now. What is most imporatant is that you take care of you first, THEN you can come back and be inspired and inspire!

BibBob
08-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Hah! Bob Wisdom? In the words of a favorite composer, “We only become wise when we calculate the approximate depth of our ignorance.” No doubt I'm addicted to learning about weight loss, health, nutrition, associated diseases, etc. And no doubt, the more I learn the more I realize I how much I don't know. But thanks for the comment, Sandy. Something is bugging me about my post on IF. I know I left a key group out of who shouldn't fast, but I cannot remember who they were. Maybe I should add memory research to the addiction because mine is sure faulty lately. :)

sparky1946
08-17-2010, 08:24 PM
I have been reading many of the success stories on MDA and there were folks on the Primal "diet" that had Parkinson's, Asperger Syndrome, Crohn's etc etc and found relief eating this way. There was a binge/purger successfully eating this way. Many cases of diabetes and high cholesterol/heart risk folks as well. I think when you have been living the nightmare of overweight so long, just knowing that you might have found the answer is addicting. You want to find out everything you can. Believe me my husband is sick of me talking about this stuff.

Bob- I have an addiction tendency as well. It is what keeps me motivated. In fact, in the past, I had to "discover" a new diet even if I had been successful on the last one 'cause I needed the adrenaline rush of discovery to motivate me.

As long as I can find new posts to read, new ebooks to download, new recipes to try, I can tolerate not having a pizza. And I really like pizza.

The funny thing about this "diet" is that I have to remember to eat. My anxiety level is way down. (We have our own business and it is down dramatically in this economy). I told my husband this morning that with business the way it is, I should be trying to find a bridge to jump off. But I feel strangely calm.

I think this is it!

Sandy

Mikkijoe
08-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Sandy: Make meatza! Use a stone and make a ground meat 'crust' top with the fav toppings, there ya have it!

Or portabella mushroom pizzas I have heard are good too

I will keep some real recipes coming, so we can keep you addicted! lol

sparky1946
08-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Sandy: Make meatza! Use a stone and make a ground meat 'crust' top with the fav toppings, there ya have it!

Or portabella mushroom pizzas I have heard are good too

I will keep some real recipes coming, so we can keep you addicted! lol
Thanks, I appreciate your recipes.

I made meatza long before it was cool... However, the recipe called for the meat to go into a pie plate and then toppings on before baking. I think the last time I made it was in the 70s for my kids. I could have written the book "100 and 1 Ways to Cook Hamburger".

I do not remember the dish fondly, but I will try the crust version. I was previously (wrongly) diagnosed as gluten intolerant. I had a thing stuck down my throat to check out my little villi and they were OK, so technically I am not. During that time, I tried gluten-free pizza crusts and they tasted like cardboard. So I kind of gave up pizza. The chicken crust that somebody mentioned sounds intriguing, I may give that a shot.

Thanks again for your recipes, keep them coming.
Sandy

BananaMarie
08-17-2010, 11:25 PM
this morning is the beginning of day two on PBP and I feel exhausted. I just tried to ride my bike, I can usually easily do 15 miles in just about 2 hours, today i did 8 in an hour and a half. I feel weak. I really want a sandwich or a box of mac and cheese.

Ilene
08-17-2010, 11:35 PM
BananaMarie, hang in there it gets easier, honest!

BananaMarie
08-18-2010, 12:45 AM
BananaMarie, hang in there it gets easier, honest!

Thank you for the encouraging words. I had myself some cottage cheese and a little spoon of peanut butter and I feel way better!

tymaboy
08-18-2010, 09:46 AM
BananaMarie- hang in there. I was very tired for about 2 weeks (I think) when I started as well. It was a good thing & a bad thing for me. Good cuz I dont sleep very well & at that time I was sleeping like I should. Bad cuz I was still drained all day. I do child care out of my home so it was even more exhausting for me.

sparky1946
08-18-2010, 10:39 AM
this morning is the beginning of day two on PBP and I feel exhausted. I just tried to ride my bike, I can usually easily do 15 miles in just about 2 hours, today i did 8 in an hour and a half. I feel weak. I really want a sandwich or a box of mac and cheese.

Check out http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-flu/

It took me about 3 weeks to start to feel better.

Sandy

BibBob
08-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Low carb dieting should come with a Surgeon General's warning:

"Eliminating grains and refined sugar from your diet is known to temporarily involve fatigue, brain fog, flu symptoms and withdrawal cravings."

I fiddled with all the "hot primal supplements" and who really knows if any benefited me, but I did report one (combination) that seemingly gave me a lot of good energy.

Acetyl L Carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid (http://www.drugstore.com/qxp140411_333181_sespider/gnc/acetyl_l_carnitine_alpha_lipoic_acid_tablets.htm)

I've never taken strong physical notice to the addition of any supplement, until this combo.

BibBob
08-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Also the elimination of grains provokes a loss of retained water. I think this is a good thing -- for me a wonderful thing, but it includes the kidneys excreting a lot of minerals along with the water. Most are easy to replenish, but be sure to eat plenty of potassium rich foods.

sparky1946
08-18-2010, 05:45 PM
My three grandkiddies are here right now and I am actually keeping up with them!!!!!!!!

This has never happened before. I think it is a combination of more energy and this primal calmness I am feeling.

Nana,

oops, I mean Sandy

spanky
08-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Okay,

So I've mulled this over for a while, after noticing I've slid way off the primal path, and had a good talk with myself about what's going on. I've been on a tear reading about goal setting and such and had come across this phrase which stopped me in my tracks:

"If there were one thing in your life that you wanted closure on, what would it be and what would be the first action you'd need to take to get that closure?" "What would be the next action, etc.?"

I was struck by the word "closure". And by how many thoughts I have in a day that are 'feel bad' thoughts about my body. Thought: "YES. I want closure on this, dangitt!" I'm tired of it being the ruling thought in my head--I don't want to counsel or advise it away, I want the fat to go away. And then to maintain that state.

I don't know why the framing of a concept differently seems to help me, but it does. So I'm turning this into the Priority Project for the next 6 weeks. Using my GTD hack [my latest book on productivity that I read], I'm setting it up like a project I'd do in the lab. First action item, next action item, etc. Meaning I have to keep this effort at the top of the list hour by hour.

Uh, so I'll be posting a lot, OK?

My first action items are done--an expanded list of what-to-eats, a cooking plan, a grocery list. Notebooks, calendars, mechanical pencils. Probably ol' laid back Mark out there on the beach would snicker. Maybe this is how tech types do it.

I am envisioning Wild Success.

Spanky

wildviolets
08-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Go Spanky!

Very interesting food for thought (no pun intended). ;)

BibBob
08-18-2010, 07:34 PM
I agree. Go Spanky! I may need to regroup with some of your ideas. I'm doing a little better today than yesterday and that is now a three day pattern, but it isn't good enough to spark more weight loss.

See, the purines in red meat and seafood are major players in uric acid production that leads to gout. Egg yolks are also a key source and I've never been one to suffer with egg whites alone. So these being my three favorite protein sources leaves me adrift at the moment. I am using dairy and pork, but what I may need is a sensible researched step by step anti-gout pro-primal action plan diet regimen to get myself losing pounds again. That's so unlike me though. Pffft. I miss fasting. It's so easy!

sparky1946
08-18-2010, 08:24 PM
I like "closure" as well! Like enough time spent already...

Yay, Spanky

BananaMarie
08-18-2010, 09:58 PM
You all are awesome, and totally motivating. :hug:

I had a small piece of naan bread with dinner last night, but didn't go over 115g carbs total for the whole day.
Today I feel okay, I think I am going to cut back on my bike rides until the fog clears. I normally ride for 1-3 hours each ride several times a week, and yesterdays ride was nearly impossible.
I've had breakfast and took one of the dogs for a walk.
I need to work on getting more potassium, I had some spinach in my eggs today, any suggestions for a low carb high potassium food?
Also I'm on day 3 and down 3lbs that seems like a lot to me, my daily calories are about 1400 and my daily ratio is around 35% fat, 35% protein, 30% carbs, and a glass or two of red wine.

srmb60
08-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Good morning!

Did a little celebrating for our anniversary yesterday ... margarita and fish and chips ... Got out of bed feeling a bit sluggish but I'm comin' along now. DH is home today too so we have some getting ready to do wrt Saturday's party. Bathrooms, fridge ... woo hoo ...

I spent a very long time in 'fog' and I'm not sure I properly recall what I was doing. I think perhaps that beginning time was not a good time to have cheat days. I do believe it's harder to get "into the optimal insulin production groove" when you're older like me. My hormones had lots of years to get as screwed up as the were/are.
Everything that Bob relates about being primal and hypoglemics rings true for me. It's a bit more picky but worth it.

And yes, I'm more detaily than Mark suggests. I like my fitday. Spanky, you do what you have to do and we'll support you. I like mechanical pencils!

Bob ... a pork butt chop is a wonderful thing!

tymaboy
08-19-2010, 09:43 AM
I did good all day yesterday until after dinner. DH & I were still hungry. We had wild caught salmon & Brussels sprouts for dinner. I notice that when I eat fish I get hungry a few hours later. It got the best of me cuz I had a bowl of ice cream with a little chocolate syrup, peanut butter & banana. I regretted almost instantly. I had a hard time sleeping cuz I was so bloated & my belly hurt.

spanky
08-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Good Morning!

Sparky: Yes--that's it. Enough already of the struggle, let's get this done!

This post is the "Next Action" in the great "Get Closure Project". So here I am. Yesterday I was totally on track, logged everything including my half hour of bike time.

For some weird metabolic reason I dropped 3 1/2 pounds overnight.....whoa!?

Here's my toss for the Potassium discussion: I use Morton's Lite Salt. It is 50/50 Sodium Chloride/Potassium Chloride. I started using when diagnosed with high blood pressure and even at the start I found it quite tasty.

So today is planned down to the last carbohydrate gram, including snackies if needed. Onward to the "Next Action"!

Spanx

BibBob
08-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Good late morning from the West Coast. Just checking in. My toe still makes walking very painful. This is the longest I have gone without a long hikes in over a year. Those walks are needed therapy. I miss them. I tried a bike, but the toe said no. Frustrated.

I ate 1000 calories in almonds yesterday. How nice. Another 500 calories in yogurt. I had three strips of bacon cooked into a bunch of collards for dinner. I love parm cheese on collards and that added calories. I also had some spicy pepper jack and lean ham as a snack. The calories pile up fast, but I probably came in around 2500 for the day. Probably my lowest in a week?

Porks chops are on the menu today. Happy Anniversary Susan!
Lite salt with extra potassium is smart. From WH Foods:

Excellent sources of potassium include chard, crimini mushrooms, and spinach.

Very good sources of potassium include fennel, kale, mustard greens, collards, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, winter squash, blackstrap molasses, eggplant, cantaloupe, and tomatoes.

Good sources of potassium include parsley, cucumber, bell pepper, turmeric, apricots, ginger root, strawberries, avocado, banana, tuna, halibut, cauliflower and cabbage.

I eat potassium rich guacomole and tomato sauce regularly. Broccoli and spinach are also regulars for me. I'm going to experiment with chard this week. -

Don't kick yourself Tyma. It sounds like the ice cream did that for you.

I'm feeling like "productivity" is more important than goal setting or detailed planning so I am re-reading Getting Things Done (http://books.google.com/books?id=WXcHwzaUd4MC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false). It helped me with work productivity a few years ago. I think it applies to this weight loss project.

I'm going to try to mow my yard. It looks horrible thanks to my toe.

allysonc
08-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Hi all! My name is Ally. I just stumbled upon all of this yesterday. I am new to Primal/Paleo/Warrior Diets etc. Do any of you guys cook your meat/veggies or do you have to eat completely raw? My understanding yesterday was that you do cook your meat/veggies etc.. Then today on other sites been reading that alot of people eat it raw.. Does it matter all that much? I don't think I could eat raw meat. I know you can lose nutrients..but yeah.. Don't think I could stomach that. I'm 263 and got alot of weight to lose.. I also have eczema/candida.. So I would only be able to eat meat/vegetables and very little fruits.. I couldn't do the dairy/gluten etc. I read several posts on this forum and am very impressed by all the progress you all are making with this plan. I'd love to know anything/everything about this plan if any of you can help me.

BibBob
08-19-2010, 05:59 PM
We all cook our meat! The raw paleo stuff is out on the fringe, not mainstream at all. In fact, cooking veggies makes them healthier in many instances, and cooking certainly makes meats safer. Paleolithic cooking hearths date back 125,000 years. I do love good sushi and sashime, and us Italians like some raw beef, but rarely.

Ally, you sound like a great candidate fro Primal Blueprint. The book is worth buying. Avoiding gluten is a must. Avoiding dairy is necessary for some (and hard core paleos insist on it). Keeping fruit minimized is part of the plan. Lots of veggies make the bulk of the diet while protein and fat from animal sources (cooked for goodness sake) are also important.

The Warrior Diet was my first stop on this journey. I do like the idea of eating primarily at night, but that doesn't work for everyone.

spanky
08-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Hey There,

Checking in before I go home for the day. On plan today. Today was actually saved by The Plan: I was carrying oregano/olive broiled (NOT raw) chicken for a snack and it kept me out of the carbo-loaded lab kitchen!

Bob--that's where I'm getting my tailwind, from reading Getting Things Done. Great minds read alike (?)

The next action: staying on plan for dinner...

Spanks

Ilene
08-19-2010, 06:55 PM
:wave: hello Ally!! :welcome: yes please cook your meats :yes:

Today was a decent primal day... oops I just remembered I had a granola bar with about 30g carbs, but the rest was good and simple hamburg, peppers for lunch, steak and brocoli for supper... No workout though I have a terrible chest/cough cold and I go into these coughing jags and feel like :barf: ... I stayed home from work and only did a couple of loads of laundry...

allysonc
08-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Oh thank goodness! I'm relieved then.. So it sounds like you have to count your carbs each day? That for optimal weightloss just eat 50 carbs or under? How do you count the carbs? Carbs as in vegetables/fruit or?

Ilene
08-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Oh thank goodness! I'm relieved then.. So it sounds like you have to count your carbs each day? That for optimal weightloss just eat 50 carbs or under? How do you count the carbs? Carbs as in vegetables/fruit or?I input my food in fitday.com... I try to stay between 50 and 100g carbs... here is a good link How to succeed with the Primal Blueprint (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-succeed-with-the-primal-blueprint/) Marks Daily apple is full of great information... Hope this helps...

BananaMarie
08-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Yesterday didn't end too well, We had turkey at a friends and first I ate my weight in mostly meat and veggies, I was okay on carbs but my calories were sky high! then I had a little piece of cheesecake, and a few too many glasses of wine.

srmb60
08-20-2010, 08:22 AM
I hang out a bit in the weight lifting forums here at 3FC. It was KAW who kind of pointed me toward Primal Blueprint. I never ran into any of that raw stuff (PLT, I sure as shootin' wouldn't have looked again!) But we have heard it here before. I feel badly about that. It's such a lovely and natural way to eat. It makes me sad to think that folks are missing the point because google leads them to think we eat raw meat ... ew!

DH and I have been busy getting ready for our annual Summer Party! He makes meat, folks bring stuff and we hang around with family and friends in our backyard all afternoon. It's my favourite celebration of the year.
However ... in doing all the prep ... we've had restaurant food two days in a row! I'm 132 lbs with stiff hands and a little round belly ;)

Ilene
08-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Susan, if we didn't live so far I'd crash that party :yes: ;)

I'm back to my pre-vaca weight as of this morning :goodscale: ... Still coughing up a storm though, yuck, but I am off to work in a few minutes...

srmb60
08-20-2010, 09:30 AM
I actually thought about you Ilene! But John has a meeting tonight and we have to be somewhere else Sunday afternoon. And (yes, I seriously considered it) there's no open B&B's in town ... golf tournament. Maybe we'll try planning better next year ;)

sparky1946
08-20-2010, 10:34 AM
I found this recipe for pork chops that I used to make after I took some cooking classes. My husband asked for it and I told him I am sure it must have some thickener in it to make it a no-no. But I was wrong....

Pork Chops with Mushroom Cream Sauce

Ingredients:

4-4oz pork chops (less than 1/2 inch thick) center-cut, boneless is best
6-8 button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2/3 cup white wine
1/3 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tbsp olive oil (I think I am going to use bacon grease)

Method: Heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add mushrooms and saute until just golden. Remove mushrooms to a plate.

Add remaining oil to skillet, sprinkle chops on both sides with salt and pepper. Place in hot skillet and sauté about 4 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove from skillet and keep warm.

Pour out excess oil. Add wine to hot skillet and scape up bits on bottom of pan. Cook (at full boil) until the wine has reduced by half. Add cream and simmer another 4-7 minutes until sauce has thickened. Return mushrooms to the sauce. Taste for salt and pepper. Pour hot sauce over chops and serve.

Note: Do not "sauté" chops more than 1" thick. Brown and put these in 350` oven for 10-15 min. Variation: Exclude mushrooms, add 1 1/2 Tbsp. of Dijon mustard to cream before adding to skillet. You could also replace the white wine with 1/3 cup chicken broth - it does not need to reduce before the cream is added.

Even my picky no-meat daughter loves these.

Cheers,
Sandy

Ilene
08-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Yum sounds good Sandy.... If you don't mind I'll also put this recipe in our Paleo recipe thread...

srmb60
08-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Does anybody remember if I posted a peach salsa recipe? It only had about 4ingredients and was delicious! But I can't find it.

Ilene
08-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Susan, I don't remember you posting it but I've made that recipe too, I can post it later when I get home...

sparky1946
08-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Ilene,

Be my guest. I didn't notice the primal recipe section of the forum. I am glad to know it is there.

Hugs,
Sandy

BibBob
08-20-2010, 11:28 AM
I remember you posting the recipe, Susan. I think it's in the July thread somewhere. Wine, cream and mushrooms work for me, Sandy.

Ya know, I am blessed to have no problem only eating primal foods. Since we have more newbs I am going to simplify that again.

Eliminate 3 things from your diet and you are primal. Eat them and you are not.

1. All foods with refined sugars.
2. All grains and legumes (this includes peanuts)
3., All foods made with seed, veggie or legume (soy) oils.

Olive oil and nut oils are acceptable. Minimize fruit. Avoid artificial sweeteners. As much as you can afford to eat organic veggies, cage free poutlry products and pastured grass fed meats. I try to focus on clean meat and dairy before worrying about the veggies. Supplement with vitamin D and fish oil. That is the gist of the diet/lifestyle.

I love it. I find it pretty simple even though I understand others don't.

Here's my current problem though. Even though I can eliminate all the processed foods pretty easily, I cannot seem to control the calories from dairy since my little physical setback. I'm thinking, heaven forbid, that I need to eliminate dairy (accept for butter) for a few weeks. So that is my plan for the rest of this month. No dairy. Yikes. I was going to start tomorrow, but what the heck. I am starting right now. No dairy for the rest of August. I need to do something and I am a little hesitant to get into keto mode again.

STILL not able to put weight on my toe. Off to middle school orientation. Haha. My kid is growing up. Shaved her legs for the first time yesterday. Oy!

srmb60
08-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Found it!
2 peaches
2 slices of onion
balsamic vinegar
lime juice
a pinch of salt

If I put it in the recipe thread, I'll never lose it again!

BibBob
08-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Since I cannot find decent tree ripened peaches around here, I think that recipe will be a perfect use for our hard green peaches. Do you make it chunky or smooth? Do you peel the peaches or eat them fuzzy?

Funny but some of the best peaches in the world are grown about an hour from me and we get garbage in our local stores. The good ones, oddly are shipped to Georgia, so they can brag about their great peaches. heh

spanky
08-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Still on track, pockets bulging with emergency snacks!

Um, everybody seems to mention fish oil for the omega-3's--what about flax oil? That's what I've been taking and I'm wondering if there's something I don't know about it that makes it out of line for Primal? At least I don't feel like I swallowed the aquarium water!

Today's next action: log my day, count my carbs, ride my ex-bike....Best wishes to all newcomers!

Spanky