100 lb. Club - Gym Membership?

View Full Version : Gym Membership?

Scilla
07-31-2010, 10:25 PM
Who has a gym membership? How often do you go &* whats your favorite things to do?

I can't wait to ge my membership back. I loved the weight room, treadmill, yoga class && pool.

TJFitnessDiva
07-31-2010, 10:29 PM
I just joined an aerobic studio and love it! :D I've been taking kickboxing classes (I used to compete in HS and college) and Zumba. I have my own workout room at home with a lot of equipment but I joined to make new friends (and child care is cheap lol)

Ciao
07-31-2010, 10:50 PM
I have a YMCA membership and I
go to the gym every other day to run
on the treadmill. I love it! :)

luckyducky
08-01-2010, 12:32 AM
I have a membership, I go regularly 3 times per week, and try to go another 2 times ( not consistant with that though...). My health insurance will pay for $20 of my membership if I go at least 12 times per month. I use the treamill, the elliptical, free weights, stability balls, some fun machines and had a personal trainer helping me for a bit, loved that! He was terrific! I hated going at first cuz this club is more geared toward high school football/wrestling types, but I lost the self-conciousness quickly, they were all nice, and I think they realize at least I am there trying to improve my health and my weight. Love going now!

Natasha1534
08-01-2010, 04:38 AM
I've had my gym membership for 10 years now and have only used probably 2 years worth of it, IF that. :( But now I'm back on track and SERIOUS this time about my weight loss. I don't do any weight machines right now (no sense in building muscle on top of fat, right???) but I walk a mile on the treadmill and then do 20 minutes on the devil machine (elliptical). In the past I have taken yoga classes, but I'm not sure they're offered at this new location. I'm planning on signing up for water aerobics soon, though.

Loving Me
08-01-2010, 08:16 AM
I've had a gym membership for just over a year now and I LOVE it. I go 4/5 (sometimes 6) times a week.
I tend to alternate between going in the gym and doing a cardio workout on the elliptical, treadmill, stationary bike, rower etc, and the other days I do toning or step classes or lane swimming.

caryesings
08-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Y membership, generally 4 times/week. Once a week I swim laps, the other days are to use exercise bike. When it's really hot here I use the track to walk/run. Sometimes take a class just to break out of my routine.

Eliana
08-01-2010, 09:24 AM
I go six days a week for 1-3 hours, more in the winter, less in summer when I'm outside.

I love: Spin Cycle class, body + abs class, weight lifting (free weights), treadmill (running mostly) and the elliptical. I also love the pool, but rarely get in it.

plumptobump
08-01-2010, 09:28 AM
I love love love my gym! I go 3-4 times a week, work on the treadmill, elliptical, rowing machine...use the weight machines and the ab station. I havent braved any classes yet...going to do that maybe after 10kg ;)

losermom
08-01-2010, 09:31 AM
I work at a university and pay for a gym membership on campus. I go to the weight room 3x a week over my lunch hour. I have in the past used the cardio areas and the pool for water aerobics classes during the academic year. I may go back to the water aerobics classes this fall, depending on how good the instructor is. I also ride my recumbent exercise bike at home early in the morning 6x a week year round.

PudgyGurl
08-01-2010, 09:36 AM
I have a gym membership to LifeTime Fitness. I love it! I just started 2 days ago. I plan on going to the gym 4 days a week (Thursday - Sunday), and would love to up it to 6 days a week, when I get in better shape. ;)

loveAcat
08-01-2010, 09:50 AM
lol, I have a gym membership, and I am thinking about canceling it, I go so rarely...

I do like their spinning classes, and I do yoga every now and then.
I think one problem I have is that I get bored on the cardio machines.

All your gym commitments are inspirational! I think I'm going to give it one more chance for the month of August. Maybe a little mini-challenge is in order... :D

dragonwoman64
08-01-2010, 01:23 PM
I have a gym membership at the Y (guess I've posted about it quite a bit, doh, ha). I used to go pretty regularly 3x/wk, now I have less time, I'm working on getting it back up to 2.

I really like working on the treadmill. I mix it up with the elliptical and arc machine. and I use the resistance machines. I worked with a trainer a few times, so now I'll do stretches and exercises with the medicine ball.

one of these days I'll try a class.

Smiling_Sara
08-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Who has a gym membership? How often do you go &* whats your favorite things to do?

I can't wait to ge my membership back. I loved the weight room, treadmill, yoga class && pool.

I have a gym membership. It's not a fancy place, no classes, no pool, just equipment. I do all sorts of weights, and then treadmill, eliptical, and use the bike.

Kobies Mom
08-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Hi everyone...I have a gym membership for 3 years and hardly ever use it, but can't seem to cancel it..
Watching a Zumba infomercial the other day I've decided to take a class this Monday and whallaaa there is a class at my gym.
For those of you that have taken the class how much fun is it?? I'm hoping it'll get me back there.
Thanks
KobiesMom

girlonfire
08-01-2010, 06:16 PM
I *love* my elliptical! I use the gym at my school but when I graduate who knows

natasha, you won't build muscle on top of fat, it will build underneath and as you lose weight, your body will be more toned and loose skin won't show as much. Plus, increased muscle means increased metabolism!

duckyyellowfeet
08-01-2010, 10:36 PM
My school just built a new gym on campus, so I've been using that this past year. I try to go at least twice a week, more like four or five times a week if I feel motivated enough.

Its not the best gym in the whole world, but its new and I pay for it no matter what.

LitChick
08-01-2010, 11:15 PM
I have membership at the Y and my frequency depends on the season and weather. :)

In the winter or when it's raining, I go several times a week, and do a mix of strength training, spin class, running on the treadmill and swimming. Once in a while I'll throw in something like a Zumba class or Agility Drills just to mix it up. Now that I've gotten down to a weight where I think I can be moderately flexible, I want to try yoga or Pilates.

However, in the summertime and when the weather is nice, my gym visits go down as I prefer do my cardio (running, biking) outside.

Regardless of whether it's at the gym or on the street, I am working out 5-6 times a week.

KobiesMom, Zumba is a lot of fun! I resisted it for a long time because I am not that coordinated nor do I have a lot of rhythm. But once I started, I realized that no one else in there is Jennifer Lopez, either. I just don't take it or myself too seriously and avoid looking at my reflection in the mirrors. :)

Also, different instructors will use different dance styles, so if you have the opportunity, try out different ones. The instructor I like tends to use more hip hop and bollywood style dances mixed in with the Latin moves. Others use more Latin, etc.