PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default PCOS August 2010 Support

It's Augsut 2010! (The July thread is here.)

Let's have a roll call! Who's here this month? How are you? What are you working on? How's your PCOS management going?

best wishes,
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:49 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Who's here this month?

I'm still here and I'm still "Astrophe" on the boards. Rhymes with "catastrophe."

How are you?

I'm just about over a cold/flu thing. Still got a weird feeling in my ear but mending. Emotionally I feel cheerful.

What are you working on?

Trying to get back into losing mode. I seem to have been maintaining/slight gaining.

So I've been expanding my DVD collection so I can get some more variety. Been checking things out from the library like a crazy person.

How's your PCOS management going?

I see an endoc. Recent labs are all good, and I go back in 6 weeks for a follow up.

She says I have no IR, but can't explain why I still have AN. The AN on my elbow is really dry and annoying.

My meds are changing and I don't know it any of it accounts for the slight gain. I feel a bit bloated.
  • Lowering my hypothyorid meds
  • Changed to brand name OrthoCyclen rather than Sprintec.
  • Starting Spiro soon for hair.
  • Just restarted Glumetza to see if it helps with weight loss any. I told her I was having trouble feeling full. It's like I eat, I know from my food log that's enough, but I don't FEEL it.

We'll see how this next 6 weeks goes.
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 08-01-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 95/Ticker/70

Height: 170cm

i am here! Still on progestrone cream but have been really bad with applying and missed quite a few applications. Worry that it wont be as effective if not done regularly.

Happy to report that on track with diet and despite intense sugar craving (period due 11 days (give or take) its as per normal) have managed to not deviate from my low carb, protein diet, but finding it really hard not to cram handfulls of biscuits and cake into my mouth as per pre-diet. Had to leave a party early today just to avoid the desert.

Hope everyone else is doing well also!
mascara blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 320+/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone! I'm new to the boards & I was so relieved to see some PCOS support! Even though I don't wish PCOS on anyone, it's still nice to know that there are others going through the same things so we can all be a support to each other. =) Looking forward to getting to know you all and offering support! I'll follow in suit with the Q&A:

Who's here this month?

I'm here! I'm Meg & I'm 25 years old. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS. It's a "mild" case, but I still suffer from a lot of the annoying side effects of having the syndrome. =(

How are you?

I'm doing well! I've recently lost about 20 lbs. & am very happy to have found this forum!

What are you working on?

Losing weight. I just want to be in a healthy weight range. It's going to take some time, but it's a small amount of time compared to the rest of my life!

I've been on 500mg of Metformin ER for about 2 months. I think that it's been helpful in aiding with my weight loss. I had a HORRIBLE experience with regular Metformin (which I hear is not uncommon). I felt like vomitting every minute of the day. I'm tolerating Metformin ER incredibly well (knock on wood!). I'm thankful for it.

I've also got the classic hair issues. Mine doesn't seem to be too intense, but I still use nair on my face on a weekly basis.
lylmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 191(86.6)

Height: 5' 5"

Who's here this month?
it's me, chouchoubou

How are you?
I'm doing ok enjoying my Sunday and burning some calories by mowing the lawn. I'm still fighting the good fight to lose 40lbs total. I'm about 168 today got about 18 lbs to go.

What are you working on?
I am trying the damnedest to get to the number 165 on the scale. This is the goal i set for myself over 3 years ago when i started the dukan diet the first time. Close, but no cigar and in one vacation to Italy fell off the wagon completely, and gradually gained all the lost weight back. I'm determined to surpass my failure this time! I started my journey again this year , april 18th.

I'm also working on a reading challenge. I saw a book list titled "30 books to read before u turn 30" and I've made it my own. I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird this weekend. What an excellent book about love for humanity. The next book from the library will be Siddartha. I have no idea what it will be about.

I don't really manage it any other way than trying to get to 150 lbs in order not to be classified as "obese", make low carb high protien choices, and try to exercize at the moment. We well see if TOM comes this month. it has come for the last 3 months which is a big record as years have passed between periods in the past.
chouchoubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #6  
I CAN do ALL things...

S/C/G: 238/238/175

Height: 5'7"

Who's here this month?

Hello to everyone. I am new to this site and happened to run across the PCOS sub-forum. I feel like I am home. I am 35 and was diagnosed with PCOS in June 2009.

How are you?

I am blessed. Other than the PCOS issues of weight/fertility/hirtuism I am quite healthy. I am tired of being overweight and failing at weight loss. I joined hoping to gain some support this time around.

What are you working on?

Well I have been married for two years now and would like to have children. I married in 2008 and was diagnosed with PCOS in 2009. Of course everything makes since now like the fact that I've never been pregnant when I know good and well I probably should have (been married before). I will be 36 this month and know that I need to get serious if I am to have any children. I was told that I need to lose weight in order to increase my chances and get the PCOS under control. I haven't really been serious about it until now. I was put on metformin last year but did not take it regularly. My plan as of August 1, is to start taking my metformin as prescribed, start counting calories and watching carb/sugar intake, walk at least every other day, and drink water. I know these are little things but I can't overwhelm myself with big goals because then I will stop before I even begin. First and foremost, I need to stick to a plan for longer than a couple of weeks. After that I will expand my goals.

I haven't been managing my PCOS...but I will start as of right now. I feel like God has given me chance after chance to get it together. I am fortunate I don't have diabetes but if I continue the way I have been...
I hope that people on this site will help me with the support I need and I hope to be an inspiration to others as well. All the success stories have really encouraged me. i am glad I found this site :-).

Last edited by jconcep; 08-01-2010 at 09:23 PM.
jconcep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Welcome and welcome back! So many new and old PCOS folks for August!

I just wanted to post that I'm heading to a workout... so I'll do a better update once I get it done. I find that posting here that I'm going to workout makes me...GO WORKOUT!

A.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #8  
Here We Go

S/C/G: Ticker

Who's here this month?

I think it's safe to say that I, t0rn, am here this month

How are you?

I'm well, thanks. Just waiting around for my trip to Ohio.

What are you working on?

Working on working out. I've been looking around for some 'beginner' exercises to start out with. Trying to get a bit of weight off.

Pretty ok, I think. I've been building my Metformin up over the last couple of weeks, and this Wednesday I start my full dose of 2000mg.

Hello, everyone Look forward to this month's chatter.

Astrophe - Have fun with that work out!
t0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #9  
Getting healthy!

Who's here this month?

I'm still here as Paramedic.

How are you?

I've had my ups and downs. It's funny to actually say that working out and training to run regularly has been a big high light in my life at the moment. Aside from that, life has been pretty slow. This is one of the few times that I'll say that summer vacation for college is too long.

What are you working on?

Well, so I don't get obsessed or over discouraged with my lack of weight loss due to having insulin resistance, I've been concentrating on trying to run regularly again. I haven't really ran since before high school, so it's really been a long time. But, I know I've also wanted to get back into it for a really long time now.

Well, I'm having regular periods on my 3 month birth control, hair growth is down A LOT, but I'm still having issues with weight loss. I'm going to see the doctor again tomorrow.

I'm still on 500 MG of Metformin and 50 MG of Spironolact.
Paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Ok, I did Self:Bikini Ready Fast.

I liked it from the library so I went ahead and got the 4 DVD set to use in August.

That was tiring. I can tell I've been sick because even though I used the same weights as before and my heart rate monitor was showing the same, EMOTIONALLY I felt like some of those arm raises were killer.

But now that I'm in the post-workout glow...

mascara blue: Hang in there with the progesterone cream and sugar cravings! I can relate the those cravings at "O" time... they are crazy huh?

lylmeg: Glad you got the XR -- I found that easier to take too. I felt too pukey on the plain.

chouchoubou: Go Chou! 18 to go! And a book challenge sounds awesome -- I've been kind of stuck on new things to read so I'm reading "Like Water for Chocolate" again.

jconcep: GL with the TTC! Have you considered charting with something like www.tcoyf.com? That helped me when we were trying for our DD.

t0rn: I hope your trip is fun!

Try your library to preview some exercises. I ended up going with Kym Lyons beginner level because when I started I was so blah out of shape that I decided to suck it up and just either find a good pregnancy one (which would be kind to sticking out bellies) or a senior's chair exercise thing (which would be kind in general.)

That Kim Lyons set is oriented toward Diabetics, which with the PCOS/IR that I have was close enough for me! I ended up really liking it. A few rounds of that got me ready for intermediate, and I'll still use it on days where I want to work out with lower impact.

Paramedic: How's the running? Are you a 5K competition kind of runner or a meditative runner or...?

QUESTION:
Can some of you guys with experience talk to me about the Spironolactone? When I had my labs, I got it filled but I haven't quite gotten to actually starting it. Any side effects as you get used to it?

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 08-01-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:12 AM   #11  
pgh

Who's here this month?

I'm still here as pgh

How are you?

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS (6 weeks or so ago).. been married for 3 years. Still digesting the 'lifestyle change' the doctor suggested. Feeling great with the low GI diet, however the weekends are a bit of a challenge Lost around 12 lbs over the last 6 weeks so I shouldn't be complaining. Need to be more regular with the WORKOUTS!

What are you working on?
Working out. Nothing like it to make your skin glow.. you feeling wonderful..yet its hard.. to be regular at the workout!

Actually just focuses on losing the weight. Its creeped in over the last 3 years (was 120lbs) around 3 years ago.. its creeped to 160 and now back to 149. I know I am luckier than most cause it was caught early but the symptoms are still bad. Mood swings however are infinitely better!! Have a Dec 2010 target to get back to honeymoon weight!
pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:19 AM   #12  
Getting healthy!

Astrophe - I'm more a meditative runner. I just love the freedom of movement. That's also probably why I love to ride my motorbike. :P

But, I'm kind of unsure about if I like Spironolactone. My aunt is a doctor and she told me that it's nothing but a water pill, which is not what my OB/GYN told me. But, for me, it's been causing a lot of upset stomach and diarrhea. So... I'm not too sure if I'll be staying on it.
Paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 316/see tracker/175

Default Hi Everyone!

Hey PCOS-gals!

So even though I have been on the site for awhile, I haven't posted a lot to this forum since I have a mild case of PCOS. However, after reading many of your posts and thoughts, I realize we are all fighting the same issues.

I was super down that at one point in last March I was down to 274 (Yah!), then I started having health problems. Might be TMI but I had to have two minor surgeries (one in April, and one in May) to remove cancerous cells (level 0) from my cervix. Then in June had had to have a pretty intensive surgery to remove a tumor and poylps from my uterus. Since April I have gained 15 lbs! from not being able to work out and/or laid up from a surgery and not able to cook for myself.

Just got the go ahead last week to start working out and am back on my diet this week. In some ways I feel like I am starting completely over. It's so frustrating to lost so much and then in just a few months time have to redo all your hard work. I was also put back on an old birth control to help control reduce the bad cell production...one problem is that when I was on this medication in the past, I had SO much trouble losing the weight. So am going to have to really, REALLY limit carbs again. My birthday is Sept. 12th and I want to get in the 260's by then...here's hoping!
LaughingGirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 191(86.6)

Height: 5' 5"

Welcome laughinggirl!! You are truly a fighter, just from what you've shared I know that you can get back to the 260's!

Have a pleasant week everyone
chouchoubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #15  
A.K.A. Michelle

S/C/G: 253/233.6/150

Height: 5'5

Glad you're on the mend, astrophe! Congrats mascara blue on fighting those sugar cravings!

Welcome to all the new posters, lylmeg, jconcep, and LaughingGirl78! And hello to everyone else!

Who's here this month?
Me! *waves hand*

How are you?
Not in a great mood. My husband's "full-time" job has only worked him 11.5 hours in the last 8 days of scheduled work. He was forced to take this job or lose unemployment, and now he's making less than we were getting on unemployment. We're really struggling financially, and I'm really stressed out about it.

What are you working on?
Pushing towards my second mini-goal of 25lbs total lost. I had a few weeks of the scale not wanting to budge, but this week blew in with a bang with an almost 4 lb loss! I've got 6.2 more pounds to go before I see 228 & my mini-goal. I'm hoping to see it before college starts on the 30th.

It's going great! The switch to Sprintec BC has really helped, I think. I had some bloating around ovulation, but other than that, no bloat or water gain at all! Even during my actual period, which is a big deal. I felt kind of crummy the 1st day of my period, but was a lot better after that. I usually feel bad the first 3 days.

Hopefully as the weight continues to drop & I continue to have good results with the Sprintec, I'm eager to see what my OBGYN thinks at my 3-month checkup in September.
whencatsattack is offline   Reply With Quote