Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 12:58 PM   #1  
A Work In Progress

Question My thoughts on WLS

Hi my name is Tracy and being 150 pounds overweight I have considered weight loss surgery. I have read a good bit about gastric bypass including Carnie Wilson's book.

I know that many people think that having WLS is the easy way out. Not true!! For one thing I have read that carbonated beverages are not allowed because it could cause the staple line to rupture. Too much sugar can make you sick. You have to drink plenty of water. You can no longer eat alot of greasy fatty foods. This brings me to my biggest question and please do not take this the wrong way, but if you have to start eating right after the surgery then why not just do it on your own and lose weight?? You could save yourself lots of pain. I am not judging, I am asking this because every time I consider the surgery I remember that my eating is gonna have to change either way to lose weight and I am thinking that I am going to choose the "easy way out" by not choosing surgery.

Also, please set me straight as to whether things I have heard are fact or myth. I have read that after a gastric bypass many people experience chronic body odor. Is this true?

Please do not think that this post was in any way a judgement on anyone because like I said, I have considered the surgery myself and still do sometimes. I am just curious about whether the things that I have read are true or not. If not, then please let me know.

To those of you that have had the surgery and have no regrets I think it is wonderful!!! I hope all your dreams come true as I am sure alot of them already are.

Hugs,
Tracy
Old 10-09-2002, 06:09 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

if it were as easy for some of us as changing our eating habits and exercising, we would not have needed the surgery [and by the way, i didn't find your questions and comments in the least bit offensive].

in some people, the body simply gives up. no one knows why or how. the only things the docs KNOW is that if you have a lot of weight to lose, the chances of gaining it back are nearly 100%. notice i said NEARLY. there are some folks who DO manage to keep it off, but they are few and far between.

there are several reasons we start losing immediately. first, we're on clear liquids for awhile. then a soft diet. the stomach has to heal first.

and we have to eat lots of protein because it fills us up, stabilizes the blood sugar, and gives us the fuel we need. carbs are a no-no because they are considered empty calories for us. after a time, we can add small amounts of fruit and vegs. so, we end up at first eating about 500 calories a day. combine that with impaired absorption, so we don't absorb even that amount.

and it works because it keeps our bodies from shutting down due to starvation mode. there are some complicated signals between the intestines and the brain, and the bypass literally stops this.

the important part, at least for me, was that this would work!!! no matter what i'd done before, it didn't work... and that might be a key point to consider.

obviously, you've been trying everything as well... how is it working for you?

as for the odor. no. there's no body odor.

keep looking/asking
Old 10-09-2002, 06:22 PM   #3  

Default For Tracy

Hiya Friend,

I can try to answer you question based on my feelings and beliefs. First, I have not heard of anyone suffering from body odor as a result of this surgery. I'm guessing, if you had a problem before, then you may? still have one after the fact. I know once your body is burning fat (ketosis), you may have bad breath, but I haven't heard of offensive body odor.

You're very right. If you are going to go through all that is involved in having surgery, then you need to take it seriously and truly change your eating habits. Not everyone who has surgery is prepared to do this, and, they may still have success and lose weight, or they could end up ruining things for themself. It's all about your attitude and how important it is to you to change.

However, what you really need to understand is this. Surgery is only a tool. I know people say that a lot, but it's so true. What this surgery does, is make it possible for people to FINALLY have control over how much they eat. You and I aren't morbidly obese because we eat like a bird, right? We're overweight mostly because we just flat eat too much and don't move enough to burn any extra calories!! If this doesn't apply to you, then I guess I'm speaking for myself. Having surgery is my one and ONLY hope of losing a significant amount of weight and keeping it off!! If you use your tool (because your new tummy can only hold so much food), and take eating properly seriously, then you will be successful..... Yes, you still have to take responsibility for what goes into your mouth, but again, it's so much easier to have control when you have a much smaller stomach. Then, as the weight comes off, it's up to each person to get moving, exercise, and get healthy.

So, I'm glad you've done enough research to know that this surgery is not an easy way out. Most of us have thought long and hard about having this life changing surgery, being sure to weigh the pros and cons. Personally, I KNOW the only way I'm going to permanently lose weight, is if my stomach can only hold a limited amount of food. As long as I can continue to eat what I'm able to now.....I will remain MO. I just flat have little self control and need help. It's not shameful to admit I need help. I wish it wasn't true, but it is. period.

I didn't interpret your post as an attack on people who have opted for surgery. It's certainly not for everyone, and each person needs to do what they feel is best for them. Thanks for asking........I hope other people can share their feelings with you, too. By the way, I'm still pre-op, but can't wait to have surgery so I can begin my new, healthy life!!! Take care and God Bless...

Just me...Robin
Pre-290
Surgery Date: Dec. 17th, hopefully!!!
Old 10-09-2002, 08:13 PM   #4  
she who must be obeyed

Hi Tracy

Hey Pooky and Jiff!!!

Jiff and Pooky have given you lots of info, I just want to share a little of why I did the surgery.

I have been overweight my entire life starting at age 6 or 7. At the age of 10 I was put on diet pills, I grew up my whole life being on one diet after another.

Sure I would lose weight each time, but I just couldn't overcome the food issues.

Since having the surgery, and your right, it is not the easy way out, I MUST address my desire to overeat. I for one have never thrown up, I can eat anything I want, I just must eat it in a small amount. For the first time in my life I feel like a normal person, and it's a wonderful feeling.

Pooky said it best, if you have body odor now, perhaps after surgery you will still have body odor. I have no body odor.

I had very, very severe complications following my surgery (s). I won't go into detail, I think I went into detail on the profile thread. Let's put it this way, it almost killed me. But I would do it all over again in a heart beat.

Your questions and concerns are very valid. Good Luck to you.
Debbie
Old 10-10-2002, 11:45 PM   #5  
A Work In Progress

Thanks very much Debbie, Robin, And Jiffypop! What you guys shared with me was very helpful and informative. Thank you very much. I am about 150 pounds overweight and yes I have tried everything. I just know that from what I have read there is no easy way out in this battle and I think that it is silly for people to say so. My thoughts are that the people who have the problems with WLS may be a bit intimidated about it. To explain it better, my sister's best friend is having the surgery on November 11th and my sister is trying to do everything that she can to make it sound bad and talk her out of it. Well, my sister confessed to me the other night that what it came down to was that she was afraid of Carolyn losing all of her weight and for once being smaller than my sister. I think that is where alot of the criticism comes from.

Enough rambling from me. I still dont know if I will ever have the WLS but I am glad that you guys did and have had good results from it. Dont worry about what people say. You are worth it and I am happy for you all!!!

Hugs,
Tracy
Closed Thread