Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/169/140

Height: 5 ft 8 inches

Default Going through an odd stage - need help!

Lately I've been going through a strange stage with my diet/exercise routine. It doesn't help that our fridge broke down a few weeks ago and so we only have a tiny fridge at the moment and can't "freeze" anything. So for the last two weeks or so I've been eating out a lot - mainly in restaurants, cafes and SOMETIMES fast food. It wouldn't be so bad, but I've all but stopped exercising. I just don't know why. My energy has really plummeted lately and it's tough to even do half an hour. I've suffered from anemia in the past - I think it may be coming back so I'm going to the drs to get checked out.

The thing is though I KNOW I could help myself by exercising just a little bit each day and not binging. Since I started, over a year ago, I have hardly ever binged. In fact, not at all. Yet tonight I ate two bags of crisps and three biscuits all in one go. Basically 500 unnecessary calories. It wouldn't be so bad if this was a one off, but it's just carrying on. I know I can't continue to let it happen or I'll get out of control. I've worked so hard to lose almost 60lbs and I'm not nearing the stage where I can see light at the end of the tunnel (I'm only about 25lb for a healthy weight.)

I need to give myself a good kick - I know I need to get out of this, I just don't know how!
Autumn Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #2  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Have you ever seen what happens to a line of ants when a stick gets thrown in their path? It's pandemonium. Sometimes they move together purposefully but most often they go haywire and lose consensus. That's what I think has happened to you. Your fridge going out is a big deal. It is impossible to freeze things that could be kept for emergency situations like wanting to binge. It is harder to store anything in one of those tiny fridges and it is a pain dealing with it. I think the fridge has thrown you a loop and you are reacting to the situation by reverting to your old thinking and behavior without realizing it. Suddenly, you are eating things you wouldn't typically because you don't have the room to store what you would normally eat, or no longer have the access to your healthy foods. Eating out builds up and suddenly you're eating fast food, which you know can't work for a long time, but you don't have a choice with your fridge on the fritz, right? So you stop exercising, lose momentum and energy, and then your mind catches up with depression and guilt. That would be my guess on how this has progressed. To stop this process, start exercising. Just start like it was the first day of your diet again, exercising in small bursts or short periods, and build up until you were at the level when you stopped. I know you don't have much space in those small fridges but filling them to the max with as much healthy foods will help, and choosing the best choices at restaurants and fast food will too. If you have to suffer through eating out for a little while longer because it is out of your hands, so be it, but exercise isn't out of your control, and I think restarting your program will help tremendously with your physical and mental health. Good luck and keep going!
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #3  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Hugs!

Here's some ideas, just in case one really gels for you:

Try getting some fruit and veggies that you can leave on the counter. Right now, I have tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, nectarines, and limes on the counter. Zucchini and cucumbers would keep a day or two on the counter, too. Also, there's potatoes, onions, and garlic in the pantry. That's a good start to some healthy eating! Also, tuna or salmon in a can and a good loaf of bread.

Walk. It's such great stress relief as well as being good exercise, especially if you've been taking a break from your normal exercise routine.

Could you try an exchange plan style of diet for awhile? I don't know what you were doing before. But an exchange plan can be easier when eating out. It's still a plan and helps me still feel like I'm in control even when I can't know every calorie count of every item.

Here's another hug! You are in a tough situation so find ways to be kind to yourself that don't involve food -- hot baths or delicious paperback novels or whatever works for you!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

I may be getting you mixed up with someone else, but I think I remember -- don't you exercise pretty intensely? Intervals and all? Many days a week?

Maybe it's a good time to allow yourself a short break or at least take it down a few notches? I know there are concepts of de-loading and re-feeding -- that after a long time of intense exercise or a long time of calorie restriction, our bodies benefit from a bit of a break. Not going crazy and eating lots of bad stuff with tons of calories -- more like trying out maintenance level for a week. And maybe instead of jumping back into the intense exercise, try walking at a brisk pace, or one of the relaxing forms of yoga.

(my apologies if I have you mixed up with someone else!)
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote