Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 244.6/237/155

Height: 5'5"

Default Magic foods?!?

I was just wondering if anyone has found any *magic* foods. You know ones you have found that tasted great, and didnt put on the weight, lol. I'll share mine.. Oatmeal, since I started having it for breakfast, I've really noticed a change. I like to cook the quick cooking oats, not the instant stuff. I like eat it with Brown Sugar, blueberries, and 1% milk!

Last edited by MellyWag; 07-27-2010 at 11:33 PM.
MellyWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #2  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I love cottage cheese on everything!

It's so low calorie, and it beats regular cheese.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #3  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

I love roasting or grilling red bell peppers they give such a great flavor and go great with so many things! Or any peppers grilled are good

To go with your picks I tried putting a tiny bit of sugar free jello mix in some cottage cheese the other day I personally didn't like it but maybe some of you would there are many diff flavor options then. My friend likes cracking pepper on cottage cheese also, I tried it didn't like it too much but maybe some of you would.

I was thinking I want to try some oatmeal with almond milk and sprinkle in a little bit of the sugar free jello in there and see how it tastes kind of like your own flavored sugar free oatmeal mixes I have yet to try it but maybe tomorrow morning. Can have peach, strawberry, raspberry whatever you like and only need a small sprinkle.

I really wish they would make some sugar free jello mix with stevia as I don't really like to have the artificial sweeteners but I think it could be a good treat Or do they?

oh yeah sugar free jello mix is also great mixed with whip cream for a low calorie frosting substitute for cupcakes or cake would be a great cheat meal idea can get sugar free or fat free cool whip also and reduced sugar cake mix and substitute some unsweetened applesauce in place of the oil or butter at a 1:1 ratio to make it a little more guilt free, or even skimp on the egg yolks like if it calls for 2 eggs do 1 egg and one egg white I did this still turned out good. Just have to control yourself and just have one cupcake I ate one and stuck the cupcakes and coolwhip mix in the freezer for later I can remove one and let it thaw in the fridge whenever I want one for a cheat meal. I made chocolate cupcakes and orange flavored coolwhip so it is like chocolate orange yum.

This thread is a great idea also need some ideas how to spruce up my meals.

Last edited by going2bskinny; 07-27-2010 at 09:15 PM.
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 244.6/237/155

Height: 5'5"

They all sound good, I might just have to try out your oatmeal ideas, and I LOVE cottage cheese too, but I just cant eat it with anything sweet, lol, so I think the jello mix and cottage cheese is out for me to
MellyWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #5  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellyWag View Post
They all sound good, I might just have to try out your oatmeal ideas, and I LOVE cottage cheese too, but I just cant eat it with anything sweet, lol, so I think the jello mix and cottage cheese is out for me to
yeah i didn't like it either lol like it better plain sounded good in my mind

maybe a tiny bit of hot sauce i will see if my mind is deceiving me again

Last edited by going2bskinny; 07-28-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Going2Bskinny - you can also make cake with 1 serving of any flavor cake mix, mixed with 1 oz diet soda of your choice (and you can find some sweetened with Stevia, now). Mix and bake as directed.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:26 AM   #7  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Going2Bskinny - you can also make cake with 1 serving of any flavor cake mix, mixed with 1 oz diet soda of your choice (and you can find some sweetened with Stevia, now). Mix and bake as directed.
oh wow really? You mean like with no eggs or oil or anything just cake mix and diet soda?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yep...nothing but the cake mix and soda.

There are 12 servings in a standard cake mix, so a 12-oz can of diet soda, mixed with 1 box of cake mix, will work perfectly. I like to bake a single serving at a time, so I measure out 1 serving of cake mix by weight, then add 1 oz of soda.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #9  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Quote:
oh wow :O that is awesome thanks! I'll try that. Do you know any brand names for the cake mixes that use stevia? Do they make any better alternatives for cool whip that you know of or anyone know of? I know you can whip heavy cream yourself or half and half but any better lower fat ones?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #10  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Quote:

There are 12 servings in a standard cake mix, so a 12-oz can of diet soda, mixed with 1 box of cake mix, will work perfectly. I like to bake a single serving at a time, so I measure out 1 serving of cake mix by weight, then add 1 oz of soda.
wow thats so cool lol yeah baking it like that would help with portion control and then i dont need all these frozen cupcakes in my freezer lol get a nice hot fresh one each time thanks alot!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #11  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:

Is this really good?

I'm thinking that I did this several years ago and had to throw it away it was so gross.
I made the whole cake mix though, in a 9x13 pan. I guess I could try the 1 oz way and if I/my kids don't like it, I can still make it the regular way.

ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #12  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieM View Post
I love cottage cheese on everything!

It's so low calorie, and it beats regular cheese.
I agree with you on the cottage cheese!

I also recently discovered barley... YUM. And it has fiber and protein. I cooked it in Chicken broth (next time I will make my own broth and cook it in that) and added garlic. Yum, yum, yum!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/150/140

Height: 5'7

Laughing Cow cheese wedges, it tastes just like cream cheese without all the fat and calories. I love it with roasted red bell pepper in and omlet, yum. It feels like you are indulging. Anything you would use cream cheese for you can use it (plain style for sweet uses) and there are also flavors-- french onion and garlic herb. Yum!

Also I buy the big trays of pre cut fruit and veggies. If I feel like snacking, they are ready to go.

Wasa Crackers, multi grain. Really good with low sodium lunch meat and one slice of Sargento's reduced fat cheese. Takes longer to eat than bread and is very filling.

Lastly, Hungry Girl books-- she has FABULOUS recommendations for lower cal/ fat substitutions. I made her version of the Chili's Southwest egg rolls last night and they were a huge hit.
LYNNEGAL22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #14  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNNEGAL22 View Post
Laughing Cow cheese wedges, it tastes just like cream cheese without all the fat and calories. I love it with roasted red bell pepper in and omlet, yum. It feels like you are indulging. Anything you would use cream cheese for you can use it (plain style for sweet uses) and there are also flavors-- french onion and garlic herb. Yum!

Also I buy the big trays of pre cut fruit and veggies. If I feel like snacking, they are ready to go.

Wasa Crackers, multi grain. Really good with low sodium lunch meat and one slice of Sargento's reduced fat cheese. Takes longer to eat than bread and is very filling.

Lastly, Hungry Girl books-- she has FABULOUS recommendations for lower cal/ fat substitutions. I made her version of the Chili's Southwest egg rolls last night and they were a huge hit.
yum sounds really good I really have been wanting to try that laughing cow cream cheese but I always put it back cuz its kind of alot of money for me. I should just crack and buy it sometime rofl. Thanks for the ideas need to try those wasa crackers and I'll look for that book
Old 07-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #15  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

I tried that oatmeal with the sugar free jello mix this morning I only sprinkled a very small amount in and it tasted great just like the bad sugar ones I used peach really good.