Old 07-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/184/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Always hungry.

I've made it through the induction before, it was hard but I did it. Then money got tight and I had to stop. Kinda hard to be low carb when all you can afford is Ramen noodles. Now I am trying to go back into the Atkins induction and I just can't do it. The first day I was feeling the low blood-sugar like mad. Not to mention headaches. Second day was better. Then I had a couple of days where I cheated. I am really trying at this, but I am ALWAYS so hungry. It's usually in the afternoon/evening. For lunch I have either 2 egg whites and 2 whole eggs or a chicken breast or two. Dinner is either 2 or 3 bunless burgers or 2 or 3 chicken breasts. I have eaten 4 chicken breasts and still felt hungry. I feel my stomach is at (or beyond) capacity, but I am still having hunger pains. So bad in fact I grab a hand full of crackers to make it go away; doesn't help. I know I don't eat enough vegetables, but even when I do it's the same. Say for dinner, one chicken breast and enough broccoli to get the rest of my carbs for the day and I still have hunger pains. Am I missing something or am I just a Martian like my husband says?
shelle58704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #2  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Stay with it!

It's no fun to be hungry all the time. Induction is hard, but if you stay with it for two weeks, you'll find that the raging hungry goes away. If you're like me, the more carbs you eat, the more carbs you want. Sugar particularly sets me off...even a little makes me want to eat again in a couple of hours.

And, if you're like me, your HEAD and your HEART is hungry - your body really isn't hungry. But it feels as if you're hungry all the time. Stop feeding your carb "jones" and it will go away.

Walking also helps me. I'm walking half an hour every evening - it's way too hot any other time here. I come home all gross and sweaty and drink some water and hop in the shower and brush my teeth. I feel fine, then, rewarding myself with trashy tv or reading a book or magazine. I've worked up to that half hour; at first three blocks was exhausting because I've been so sedentary.

How do I know all this? I've read and re-read the Atkins publications, and I lost 80 pounds on Atkins 10 years ago, kept it off about 3 years and then decided I didn't need to exercise, could eat whatever I wanted to, and of course have gained the 80 pounds back. Now I'm about 2 weeks into Atkins again and will be on Induction for a long time.

Eggs, local produce, ground beef and chicken are relatively inexpensive. Are you eligible for assistance with your food costs? Check, maybe you are. If you're eligible, take advantage of the assistance. After all, we're in this together. Good luck...stay on program...you can do this.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #3  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Do you eat any snacks between lunch and dinner and after dinner to ward off the hungries? I find if I dont...Im ravenous. I try to have things on hand for quick grab and go snacks - cucumbers with cream cheese, devilled eggs, cheese. Anything higher in fat really helps me in between meals.
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #4  

I snack a bit through out the day. String cheese is what I rely on mostly, but right after I am done I feel hungry again. It's sooo flipping frustrating. I drink more than a gallon of water a day trying to feel more full from it, but it doesn't really help.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #5  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

Yeah...water doesnt help me either. I love string cheese but find it's not substantial enough for me. I almost have to have a mini-meal for a snack.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #6  

So it's pretty much just something I'm gonna have to get over, huh? Stop whining Shell, and get healthy!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #7  

There is no reason to be hungry on Atkins. If you are physically hungry...eat. Devilled eggs, string cheese, meat and cheese rollups. Up your fat...with good fats and that will fill you up. You should add a nice salad with full fat dressing at lunch. That will fill you up.

Good luck.
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #8  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelle58704 View Post
So it's pretty much just something I'm gonna have to get over, huh? Stop whining Shell, and get healthy!
Nope, not necessarily...like Torister said...if you're hungry...eat. That's the great thing about Atkins...you CAN eat when you get hungry and not have to worry about those pesky calories. Some days Im hungrier than others. I eat more on those days. I'm still feeling good, still losing weight.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #9  
Less Juicey

Default No need to be hungry...

I didn't mean to sound as if you have to ignore hungry...you don't on Atkins. As long as it's Atkins ok, go for it! I keep chicken salad most of the time so I can snack on it; sometimes a couple of tablespoons of pimento cheese (homemade - awesome!) will do it for me.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #10  
Less Juicey

Default oops...didn't finish and posted...

The kind of hungry in my head I'm talking about is the kind that even after I've had a big dinner, says, "Where's dessert?" and later, "Let's finish the left-overs." This is PRE-ATKINS hungry. Once I was over the first week, I stopped craving carbs. I get hungry, but I eat...protein. This is my metabolism and you may not experience "head hungry." I no longer feel driven to get in the car and go to the store to get something sweet...but if I try playing with Atkins, going on and off the program, I start the craving again. But that's just me...I'm not trying to talk you out of eating when you want or need to...I believe in eating!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #11  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

I'm the same way but for me...I was never driven by sweets...it was potato chips. After dinner I always wanted them - no matter how full I was. Now if I'm hungry after dinner..I want protein. Gimme eggs and cheese any day!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 241/194/160

I say up your fat intake. Fat makes us feel satisfied which, from the sounds of things, is missing from your diet. Some cheese with your burgers, some Atkins friendly dressing with your vegetables and salads.

The best thing I can advise is eating breakfast too .... have eggs and bacon/sausages etc. A good protein and some fat will fill you up, last longer into the day and then when it comes time to eat lunch you are not so ravenous that you cannot be satisfied. Since going on Atkins I have no more sugar highs and lows and I used to get them all the time.
Shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #13  

Thanx everyone! I did up my fat intake yesterday and it was great. I had a couple of grilled high fat burgers for lunch and was good the rest of the day. It was so nice! lol
Old 07-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #14  
Less Juicey

Default Yay!

Yay! I'm glad you're feeling better. Try the cheese crackers JerseyGyrl suggested...they're super quick and delicously crispy! One minute in the microwave and you've got snack.

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/cheezits.html
Old 07-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

Height: 5'7"

I agree. They are FANTASTIC! just the crunch I was looking for and a quick snack.
LTs girl is offline   Reply With Quote