100 lb. Club - Thank you, rockinrobin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Onederchic
07-26-2010, 04:33 PM
After being here on this forum for about a year and a half, reading post after post, making post after post and always walking away confused something has finally clicked for me and I have you to thank for it! So many times I see your posts on how you eat a ton of veggies so you get more bang for your buck calorie-wise and I never really "got it". Oh, I thought I did but I didn't, not until 2 weeks ago! I finally decided to get serious and clean up my diet. I have added a ton of veggies and the best part is, I get to eat more food but take in less calories and I am loving it. During this "maintenance" period, I hovered between 171-177 and even 2 weeks ago, I saw 181 :o. Today, I decided to weigh, something I rarely do, and I am at 174 so a 7 pound difference in 2 weeks. I have had off days, for sure, at least one each week but the best thing for me is 6/7 days, I am eating a lot of food and staying under 1500 calories which is awesome for me. Thank you for your posts, your determination, your advice and your inspiration. From the bottom of my heart, I will never be able to thank you enough for making me see the light :D :hug::hug:

TJFitnessDiva
07-26-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm so used to facebook that I was looking for the "like" button for this post!!!

Onederchic
07-26-2010, 04:51 PM
LOL! Tanee, big big thanks to you too. Anytime I feel like I can't reach goal, I check out your pics and you are so friggin amazing and I love ya!!

cfmama
07-26-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm reading everything from RR I can get my hands on right now as I am struggling big big time. What she says is true!!!!!

Onederchic
07-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Yes, Tammy! I am so much happier and satisfied when I am able to eat a lot of food and with veggies, I can do that! I don't eat just veggies but I have made them the bulk of my daily foods and I am absolutely loving it!!!!!!!!! :D

Eliana
07-26-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm so used to facebook that I was looking for the "like" button for this post!!!

I do that all the time! :rofl:

Ok veggie lovers! What exactly does "lots of veggies" look like? I tend to like mine cooked. I need some other ideas. (cooked and raw)

Scilla
07-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Yes, yes, I like this post too!

hpnodat
07-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Rockinrobin, have you ever posted your success story? I'd love to read it sometime.

rockinrobin
07-26-2010, 07:01 PM
You are so very welcome!!!

I didn't shun the sugar/flour/fatty foods and turn to veggies because all of a sudden I wanted to become this *holier than thou* clean eater. Nope. I came about it in a backwards sort of a way.

I knew after, years, decades of struggling with binge eating/super morbid obesity, that I could not be that slim, trim, active person that I always longed to be if I kept the sugar/white/fatty foods in my menu. Though I couldn't imagine life without it, I no longer could picture me going on the way that I was either- I would either be dead or home bound - and that was a life I couldn't imagine either. Soooo, I knew, finally that those foods had to go. I could not stop with just a moderate amount of those foods - my solution - don't start. Problem solved 165 lbs shed and kept off (mostly) for 3+ years.

Okay. So I got rid of the sugar/white stuff/fatty stuff - now what? What could I possibly eat and lots of it (I like/need/want volume) that would free me up to have the life that I dreamed of and the answer was ta da - veggies, veggies and more veggies - sauteed, grilled, roasted, raw, in salads - ones that I'd never even knew the names of, ways that I never prepared before, and for entire meals and snacks.

Great going Onederchic. I'm so happy, excited and thrilled for you. I am GREATLY looking forward to hearing of your continued progress. :)

Onederchic
07-26-2010, 07:25 PM
:hug::hug::hug::hug: :D I am so happy! :D

Onederchic
07-26-2010, 08:09 PM
I do that all the time! :rofl:

Ok veggie lovers! What exactly does "lots of veggies" look like? I tend to like mine cooked. I need some other ideas. (cooked and raw)

I eat my veggies in like 300-400 grams a serving which is A LOT (to me :o :D). And like, for example, 300 grams of cauliflower has only 75 calories which is awesome to me :D

Onederchic
07-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Oh and I roast a lot of my veggies, thanks to rockinrobin's tips :D

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-26-2010, 08:18 PM
All I can say is ditto, ditto, ditto ...

Actually, Robin, Mandalinn, and Glory all got me onto the veggies big time -- so I took a closer look at the theory behind "Volumetrics" and am lov'in it too! I looked up what veggies had the least calories and carbs; then started eating them regularly; plus I found ways (low-cal ways) to make them taste yummy too.

First, I tried the huge pan of roasted veggies, then I progressed to Glory's idea of the huge salads. Now I eat them a bit smaller, but I eat them every day (1-2 a day); maybe a mixed slaw for lunch and a romaine for dinner. Plus I am experimenting with NEW veggies all the time and even my DH is eating veggies for the first time in his life.

To this, I added homemade veggie soups, and low-cal fruit, like berries. Then I took Mandalinn's idea of the wg pitas and the ww english muffin (or WW sandwich thins) for my own version of egg-muffin.

Slowly, over time, I have switched to the whole grain foods and cut down my portions hugely. It took some time, but I have finally banished the junkies out this year, and the scale is moving down again. :cheer2:

Like Robin, I realized that there are just some foods that are not good for me to eat (you know, the sweet & salty munchies, etc). Not only did they send my blood sugar levels up, but stopped the weightloss too. Now my blood sugar levels are back to normal and I am off the meds. :cheer3:

I read everything ROBIN posts; plus what the other successful people write as well -- soo ... many thanks, indeedy!!! :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Oh what and how to cook them -- I started off with a huge pan of roasted veggies with herbs & spices; now, every week I roast some lean meat and surround it with a mix of veggies like onions, carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, green & yellow beans, sweet potatoes, zucchini or winter squash, turnip (summer & winter), parsnips, etc. So with the herbs and the broth, they really taste great.

Sometimes, I go the Asian route -- onions, celery, broccoli, carrots, peppers, water chesnuts, beans, mushrooms, etc. I change it up each time I do it based on what I have on hand. French herb mix includes thyme, parsley, lots of onions, garlic, celery, black pepper, etc.

For raw and salads -- cabbage and broccoli slaws: red & green cabbage, carrot strings, broccoli strings and rosettes; same for cauliflower; sugar pea pods, green onions and/or red onion slices or other; radishes; etc. Leaf, head, or romaine or mixed lettuces plus tomatoes; regular and baby cukes; spring onions; carrot strings, celery, etc. Sometimes, I even mixed the cabbage and lettuce ones together for a change; great every way.

I love baby carrots and baby cukes (esp), and eat them raw; and add the carrots to my roasted veggies too. Sometimes I steam them in the summer, but roast them on cooler days/times.

Plus I sometimes do the stir-fry thing (like tonight) using sliced onions, mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, knib or baby corn, etc -- to have with lean steak or chicken.

Onederchic
07-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all the tips, Rosebud :hug:

Karen925
07-26-2010, 10:23 PM
All I can say is ditto, ditto, ditto ...

Actually, Robin, Mandalinn, and Glory all got me onto the veggies big time -- so I took a closer look at the theory behind "Volumetrics" and am lov'in it too! I looked up what veggies had the least calories and carbs; then started eating them regularly; plus I found ways (low-cal ways) to make them taste yummy too.

I read everything ROBIN posts; plus what the other successful people write as well -- soo ... many thanks, indeedy!!! :hug:

I have found delicious substitutions for rice (cauliflower grated in processor), potatoes (butternut squash), and pasta (spaghetti squash, shredded zucchini) plus roasting. Tonight we had roasted beets and with the sugar gone from diet, they taste amazingly sweet and delightful.

Great thread. I am posting a NSV in maintainers because of the excellent tips received here.

rockinrobin
07-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Oooh roasted beets - I just discovered those a few months ago and they are a new family favorite. I love that I've created new family traditions!

Zucchini ribbons are just as good if not better than pasta.

I tell you, I LOVE what I'm eating now just as much if not more than prior. I never feel deprived (drives me crazy when folks say that around here) passing up on the high calorie foods - how could I? The foods that I AM eating are DELICIOUS. But there's a bonus with all that delicious-ness The bonus? Well, they not only taste good - but they're good for me. It's a no brainer and a win/win situation. :)

matt_H
07-26-2010, 11:22 PM
I can't say enough good things about Rockin Robin. I might get a bit chocked up with tears.

Onederchic
07-26-2010, 11:36 PM
Aww :D :hug:

rockinrobin
07-27-2010, 12:17 AM
I can't say enough good things about Rockin Robin. I might get a bit chocked up with tears.

Oh my goodness, thank you so much, but we'll just have to call it a mutual admiration society, because I can't say enough good things about you Matt. :hug:

Bloomer
07-27-2010, 01:06 AM
Thank you for this thread! I'm very grateful for the tips.

Onederchic
07-27-2010, 01:35 AM
:hug:

kendra
07-27-2010, 01:36 AM
I agree! I love to read posts from RockinRobin! You tell it exactly how it is and I love that. You put the responsibility back on the person who is posting, which is good to read. So thank you, you have helped so many of us so much.
Thank you for posting this, I have been trying to get the scale to move and have been looking at different types of foods. I need to add more veggies.
I love this place!

Onederchic
07-27-2010, 10:11 AM
How do you roast beets? Same as any other veggie or? :o I have never liked beets but have only ever tried the ones from a can, are roasted ones better?

TXMary2
07-27-2010, 10:56 AM
What do you sautee veggies in that doesn't add fat? I love sauteed mushrooms, onions and bellpeppers together with some garlic in olive oil, but even a teaspoon of evoo adds 60 calories.

I am picky on veggies too - don't like cauliflower and I only like brocolli with salt and cheese! LOL I can see eating sauteed veggies - and I love asparagus so I can do that weekly too. Where I get hung up is in trying to change my behavior I am trying to cut down on volume so to me eating a ton of veggies just so I could have more makes me think I would still be looking to "stuff" myself and I don't want to feel that way. I am not trying to be snarky and I love your posts Robin - you have been a great motivator for me- but if I am misunderstanding you please correct me. Behavior wise how is overeating veggies different? Other than it is more healthy - lots of volume is still lots of volume. Am I making sense? I guess it all depends on our goal. I want to lose weight, enjoy food and learn portion control. Portion control was a major issue for me. I could eat mass quantities - so the idea of chowing down on lots of veggies scares me and could trigger me into wanting more of everything and for me that would not be good.

nelie
07-27-2010, 11:01 AM
What do you sautee veggies in that doesn't add fat? I love sauteed mushrooms, onions and bellpeppers together with some garlic in olive oil, but even a teaspoon of evoo adds 60 calories.

Nothing wrong with a little olive oil but I tend to do sautees with things like soy sauce or even veggie broth. You can even just add a little water because veggies have water in them so they will release the water but initially you just have to stop them from sticking.

ubergirl
07-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Here's how I roast beets:

scrub whole beets but do not peel. Place in oven safe casserole dish, with about 1.5 inches of water. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for one hour in oven at 400 degrees.

Remove from oven and rinse. The peels will now slide off whole. Remove peels, slice. Toss with salt, rice wine vinegar and minced garlic (how much garlic depends on how much you like garlic.) Enjoy!

Mary, I used to always sautee my veggies in olive oil-- now I spray the pan with olive oil flavored PAM and add a little vegetable broth.

TXMary2
07-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Here's how I roast beets:

scrub whole beets but do not peel. Place in oven safe casserole dish, with about 1.5 inches of water. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for one hour in oven at 400 degrees.

Remove from oven and rinse. The peels will now slide off whole. Remove peels, slice. Toss with salt, rice wine vinegar and minced garlic (how much garlic depends on how much you like garlic.) Enjoy!

Mary, I used to always sautee my veggies in olive oil-- now I spray the pan with olive oil flavored PAM and add a little vegetable broth.

Oooh, OK- The oo flavored PAM doesn't have calories does it?

Onederchic
07-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Yes, Pam has calories.

7 calories for a 1 second spray

http://www.pam4you.com/pages/products/oliveoil/index.jsp

TXMary2
07-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Yes, Pam has calories.

So, health wise evoo would be better to use than chemical laden PAM?

rockinrobin
07-27-2010, 11:55 AM
I roast beets a little differently.

I scrub them, leaving the peel on. I then slice them thin and lay them out on a roasting sheet which I coated with 1 tsp of canola oil and sprinkle with sea salt. I then spray on some cooking spray. I place them in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes or so, turning once, till they get crispy-ish. The thinner ones get crispy, the thicker ones (I slice unevenly) are not as crispy. We love them both ways.

Mary, I use both oil and cooking spray. 1 tsp of oil has 40 calories. That's minimal especially when divided amongst several servings.

When I coat a pan or a tray, I measure out the oil and spread it nice and thin with a pastry brush to get good coverage. And since I'm coating the top of the veggies as well very often, I find it easier and more controlling to spray.

rockinrobin
07-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Sorry, I had just read the last posts of this thread and have just now looked back and see that I missed lots of other ones.

Thank you all SO much for your unbelievable words. You've given me the goose bumps! I gain so much from each and every one of you as well.

Now to Mary's question about the volume of veggies. I don't view eating large amounts of veggies as the same thing (or even close) to eating large amounts of cakes, cookies, ice cream, fried chicken, chinese food, etc. Those foods leave me feeling MISERABLE BEYOND BELIEF - sick to my stomach and down right in pain. And that's just the short term consequences - the long term ones - they leave me FAT.

The veggies leave me feeling MARVELOUS short term and long term - I am slim, trim, active and healthy. For me, that's a big difference. :)

For an analogy - compare the difference of drinking large amounts of water, to large amounts of Coca Cola. Nuf' said, no? ;)

hpnodat
07-27-2010, 12:38 PM
I decided a couple weeks ago that eating volumetrics style would most likely help me to succeed. Although 2 weeks ago had never heard of the word volumetrics, I just decided that I could eat a lot more food if I chose to eat lots of veggies rather than how I was eating before. I'm so glad that many of the big losers on this forum are doing the same thing, it makes me feel confident that I can succeed doing the same thing.

Oh and as far as beets go, I love them peeled raw and grated or julienned, I eat them by themselves or in salads. Yummy stuff!

Quail
07-27-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm loving this thread! I made a commitment to adding more (and more and more) veggies to my diet and sure enough, it works!

As far as sauteing them goes, I often don't add anything- just throw them in a pan and go for it. This morning I ate zucchini, red bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, yellow squash and garlic, all diced and sauteed. Tasted lovely.

Onederchic
07-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Great idea, junco :)

TXMary2
07-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Sorry, I had just read the last posts of this thread and have just now looked back and see that I missed lots of other ones.

Thank you all SO much for your unbelievable words. You've given me the goose bumps! I gain so much from each and every one of you as well.

Now to Mary's question about the volume of veggies. I don't view eating large amounts of veggies as the same thing (or even close) to eating large amounts of cakes, cookies, ice cream, fried chicken, chinese food, etc. Those foods leave me feeling MISERABLE BEYOND BELIEF - sick to my stomach and down right in pain. And that's just the short term consequences - the long term ones - they leave me FAT.

The veggies leave me feeling MARVELOUS short term and long term - I am slim, trim, active and healthy. For me, that's a big difference. :)

For an analogy - compare the difference of drinking large amounts of water, to large amounts of Coca Cola. Nuf' said, no? ;)

I understand what you are saying and clearly large amounts of cake and such leaves us feeling crappy, but so often I read your posts and you speak of behavior modifications and I am honestly confused. My behavior for years has been overeating and all I am saying is that in my mind overeating is overeating -we just yield different physical results depending on the food. One of my goals is to stop that behavior and eat normal quantities and exercise portion control. Obviously what you do works for you and that is awesome, but I don't want to eat tons of anything - I want to have normal behavior - possibly that is unrealistiv for someone who has food and weight issues, but I'd like to think not.. I still struggle sometimes with wanting "bulk" to feel full, but honestly wonder if that is what I should be seeking. Am I making any sense? Can anyone here relate to what I am saying?

Thank you for all you share Robin - your success is phenomenal.

rockinrobin
07-27-2010, 04:42 PM
I want to have normal behavior

Normal? Hmmm, what exactly IS that? Normal like over 65% of the population who live on McDonalds, Cheetos and KFC, all you can eat buffets, Pizza Hut, frozen foods, processed garbage and the such? Normal like most of the population who are overweight, obese and super morbidly obese? No thank you. I'm quite fine not being normal, in fact finer than I've ever been. I really have no desire to be *normal*. That was not my desire. My desire was to shed the pounds, get to a healthy weight and co-exist in a healthy manner with food in a country where we are surrounded by massive quantities of Frankenfood - and I think I've accomplished that. I've no need to be like others.

If you don't think what I do now is normal, you should have known me back in the day;). I'll take this not normal over the other not normal any and every day.

Before I had an eating disorder - now I eat orderly.

So Mary, what would you propose I spend my calories on instead of the veggies?

Minuscule amounts of Rice? Pasta? Potatoes? Crackers? Cake? Cookies? that leave me clamoring for more of it, have little or no value and have no satiation point? Nope. Not interested. I tried it that way for decades - no can do. No can do. No need to do.

I didn't need to prove to the world that I could eat moderate amounts of cake, fried foods, pasta, etc. I say, why not make this more enjoyable and EASIER than need be - so I did. I needed to get healthy and find a way to co-exist with the foods that I overate the most - so I did.

We all have to find what works for ourselves - and what doesn't, but more importantly we have to find what we are WILLING to live with/stick with. And I have. I have. :)

I certainly hope you find what you are looking for.

Karen925
07-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Howdy,
Perhaps this fits, perhaps not. I was listening to an interview by Jimmy Moore with Dr. Lustig yesterday. The Dr. mentioned fecal results of our ancestors from 50,000 years ago show a fiber content in the diets of 100-300 grams. That is a lot of plant matter and none of it was processed, white or sugary.

Veggies, veggies, veggies, some fruit really could be my/our true normal. Something to chew on.
Karen

Onederchic
07-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Normal? Hmmm, what exactly IS that? Normal like over 65% of the population who live on McDonalds, Cheetos and KFC, all you can eat buffets, Pizza Hut, frozen foods, processed garbage and the such? Normal like most of the population who are overweight, obese and super morbidly obese? No thank you. I'm quite fine not being normal, in fact finer than I've ever been. I really have no desire to be *normal*. That was not my desire. My desire was to shed the pounds, get to a healthy weight and co-exist in a healthy manner with food in a country where we are surrounded by massive quantities of Frankenfood - and I think I've accomplished that. I've no need to be like others.

If you don't think what I do now is normal, you should have known me back in the day;). I'll take this not normal over the other not normal any and every day.

Minuscule amounts of Rice? Pasta? Potatoes? Crackers? Cake? Cookies? that leave me clamoring for more of it, have little or no value and have no satiation point? Nope. Not interested. I tried it that way for decades - no can do. No can do. No need to do.

I didn't need to prove to the world that I could eat moderate amounts of cake, fried foods, pasta, etc. I say, why not make this more enjoyable and EASIER than need be - so I did. I needed to get healthy and find a way to co-exist with the foods that I overate the most - so I did.

We all have to find what works for ourselves - and what doesn't, but more importantly we have to find what we are WILLING to live with/stick with. And I have. I have. :)

Brilliantly put. Bravo.

TXMary2
07-27-2010, 06:19 PM

No, normal as in what normal weight, non food obsessed people do. Clearly we have a different definition of what "normal" is. Your response seems like you think I was attacking you and seems uneccessarily defensive. I was just trying to clarify what you have previously stated so many times, that our focus should be on our behaviors and what I am saying is that in my mind overeating is overeating no matter what we are eating too much of. I didn't say you should spend your calories on something else. I am glad what you do works for you, but it isn't the only way and if I don't want to stuff my face with cake or vegetables I don't see how that isn't "normal."

Onederchic
07-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Here's my way of thinking..

I could have 1 serving Doritos which is 1 ounce and 140 calories or I could have 10 ounces cauliflower for 75 calories and with the cauliflower I will definitely be fuller and satisfied so I opt for the cauliflower now because I like to eat my food in large volumes but keep my calories lower and this works for me. I am not Robin so I can't defend her statements, I am just saying how the whole veggie thing works for me.

Also, I am a big believer in everyone has to find what works for them. Robin's wonderful volumetrics veggie tips work for me and that is what this whole thread was about from the beginning, just a thanks from me to Robin for helping me see the light where my food and calories were concerned :D

TXMary2
07-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Here's my way of thinking..

I could have 1 serving Doritos which is 1 ounce and 140 calories or I could have 10 ounces cauliflower for 75 calories and with the cauliflower I will definitely be fuller and satisfied so I opt for the cauliflower now because I like to eat my food in large volumes but keep my calories lower and this works for me. I am not Robin so I can't defend her statements, I am just saying how the whole veggie thing works for me.

Also, I am a big believer in everyone has to find what works for them. Robin's wonderful volumetrics veggie tips work for me and that is what this whole thread was about from the beginning, just a thanks from me to Robin for helping me see the light where my food and calories were concerned :D

I can definitely understand that. If I liked cauliflower I would choose that over Doritos too. I guess I don't know what is so wrong about eating one serving of Doritos if one is able to stop at one serving and be satisfied. I'd choose asparagus over chips anyday - anyday of my new way of living. Prior to April 21st - probably not.

Onederchic
07-27-2010, 06:48 PM
I really don't think anything is wrong with whatever method someone chooses for themself. I try hard not to judge. The only issue I ever have is when people are posting that they are eating like 600 calories a day or they are binging on junk up to 3000 and 4000 calories a day, both of those which are not healthy at all but if someone can work in Doritos or anything else in their plan and be satisfied then more power to them. For me, I like to eat a lot of whatever I am eating so to be able to do that and stay under 1500 calories (5-6 days out of the week anyway) then yes, I am happy with it and love eating this way :D

hhichick
07-27-2010, 07:06 PM
OK, I see where Mary is coming from so I'll jump in here.

One of the issues I addressed early on this time around that I identified as important for me is portion control. We, as a society, have been socialized to view a portion as MUCH larger than it actually should be/is from a nutritional point of view. Our normal, as Robin stated, is skewed. (If you've ever eaten 3 plates at a buffet or a super sized fast food meal, raise your hand. Yeah, me too.)

I started calorie counting in late October 2009 and one of the things I did was start measuring and weighing and looking at and eating recommended serving sizes. One of the things I realized was that for me . . . overeating anything, even something healthy like veggies, is a step too close to eating a 6 serving size bowl if ice cream. That overstuffed, too full feeling . . . well, it makes me want more . . . it's what sends me looking, looking, looking. As twisted as that sounds.

Unlike Robin and many others, I can eat 1/2 cup of ice cream or 1 130 calorie gourmet mini cupcake and be totally satisfied (which I would never have dreamed possible). Because I count the calories and know that if I still want another mini cupcake or serving of ice cream tomorrow, it'll still be there.

But, I actually caught myself overeating on a great, low cal veggie dish earlier this summer and it wasn't a good thing for me. I didn't go over my calorie goal for the day, but I didn't like how it made me feel or what it did to my head.

Having said all of that . . . I love veggies. Leaving aside the obvious nutritional benefits in eating 140 calories of asparagus over 140 calories of Doritos, the asparagus is going to fill you up much more and keep you satisfied much longer. Now, I wouldn't eat 70 small asparagus spears at a sitting - but I doubt that Robin does, either. :)

rockinrobin
07-27-2010, 08:15 PM
. Your response seems like you think I was attacking you and seems uneccessarily defensive.

Well Mary you DID say that you want to have normal behavior as if what I was doing WASN'T, so I just wanted to make perfectly clear that I could care less what *normal* people do and don't do. My objective was not to be *normal*, but to be slim and healthy.

Just curious - have you ever tried cauliflower roasted - with onions, garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper - it's DELICIOUS. Every time I make it, people fight over who gets the last bites. The answer to that question is not all that important. You don't HAVE to like cauliflower.

But do you really think it would be a wise decision for me to give up eating cauliflower and start eating Cheetos?

And yes, I've probably mentioned that it's a good thing to focus on the behaviors and for me, part of that behavior is eliminating junk food or keeping it to a minimum. They do call it junk food for a reason. ;)

I am glad what you do works for you, but it isn't the only way and if I don't want to stuff my face with cake or vegetables I don't see how that isn't "normal."

Ummm, where did I say that what you do isn't normal? And where did I say *my way* was the only way? I really don't see where it says that or anything close to it. In fact, didn't I say that we all have to find what works for ourselves? I'm confused. Oh and these are another couple of questions you don't need to answer.

Mary, you are 5 1/4' taller than me,yet I was 30 lbs heavier than you - clearly we have different *issues* and therefore we'll have different *solutions*.

I'm sorry if you can't understand why *I* don't consider eating LOTS of veggies as overeating. I'm within my calorie budget and it's healthy - so therefore I don't see it as overfeeding myself. I just really can't explain it any further. But that's okay. You don't have to understand it.

I'm sure neither of us are coming out crystal clear - it's not like we're having a face to face conversation, so it sometimes gets mixed up in the written word. It's difficult to get my point across and it's difficult getting yours across. That's the way it is sometimes and I think this is one of them.:dizzy:

ubergirl
07-27-2010, 08:46 PM
I just want to add one thing to the mix about the concept of "normal" as defined as what "normal weight, non-food-obsessed people do"

What I've noticed is that normal weight, non-food obsessed people actually have a variety of strategies to maintain their weight-- and most of the people I know who are normal weight DO have a strategy and are NOT "just thin by accident." Sure there are people who just never gain weight, but those are mostly younger people or big tall men. Look around at a bunch of middle-aged women and the thin ones have a STRATEGY.

I know LOTS of people who almost NEVER eat junk food, who don't eat red meat, who eat huge salads and nothing else, who skip meals as a matter of course so that they can eat restaurant meals at other times...

I think we fatties need to be very careful about assuming that there is a "normal" to refer to. Dr. Kelly Brownell who is a famous food and eating disorder researcher says that we live in a "toxic food environment."

I agree.

Our entire environments set us up to gain, and we need to figure out a way that works for us-- for some that might be lots of veggies, for other, maybe smaller servings of a variety of different things.

I'm with Robin on this and the more I get interested in losing weight, the less interested I am in eating anything like DORITOS. After living morbidly obese for 20 years, I feel like I was constantly exposing myself to POISON and why would I want to do that anymore??? I'm glad to be rid of that stuff.

But, I don't deny that you can eat Doritos and be thin.

It just depends on what works for you.

Just one more thought to add: my dad is 6'3" and has never weighed a bit over 175. His "normal" serving of Doritos? The entire bag. However, he also skips breakfast every day and also often skips lunch. So that's his menu. A large bag of chips and two beers in the afternoon, followed by a healthy dinner. He's 75, still slim, and has no health problems.

TXMary2
07-27-2010, 09:44 PM
OK, I see where Mary is coming from so I'll jump in here.

One of the issues I addressed early on this time around that I identified as important for me is portion control. We, as a society, have been socialized to view a portion as MUCH larger than it actually should be/is from a nutritional point of view. Our normal, as Robin stated, is skewed. (If you've ever eaten 3 plates at a buffet or a super sized fast food meal, raise your hand. Yeah, me too.)

I started calorie counting in late October 2009 and one of the things I did was start measuring and weighing and looking at and eating recommended serving sizes. One of the things I realized was that for me . . . overeating anything, even something healthy like veggies, is a step too close to eating a 6 serving size bowl if ice cream. That overstuffed, too full feeling . . . well, it makes me want more . . . it's what sends me looking, looking, looking. As twisted as that sounds.

Unlike Robin and many others, I can eat 1/2 cup of ice cream or 1 130 calorie gourmet mini cupcake and be totally satisfied (which I would never have dreamed possible). Because I count the calories and know that if I still want another mini cupcake or serving of ice cream tomorrow, it'll still be there.

But, I actually caught myself overeating on a great, low cal veggie dish earlier this summer and it wasn't a good thing for me. I didn't go over my calorie goal for the day, but I didn't like how it made me feel or what it did to my head.

Having said all of that . . . I love veggies. Leaving aside the obvious nutritional benefits in eating 140 calories of asparagus over 140 calories of Doritos, the asparagus is going to fill you up much more and keep you satisfied much longer. Now, I wouldn't eat 70 small asparagus spears at a sitting - but I doubt that Robin does, either. :)

Thank you for articulating what I obviously wasn't able to.

TXMary2
07-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Well Mary you DID say that you want to have normal behavior as if what I was doing WASN'T, so I just wanted to make perfectly clear that I could care less what *normal* people do and don't do. My objective was not to be *normal*, but to be slim and healthy.

Just curious - have you ever tried cauliflower roasted - with onions, garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper - it's DELICIOUS. Every time I make it, people fight over who gets the last bites. The answer to that question is not all that important. You don't HAVE to like cauliflower.

But do you really think it would be a wise decision for me to give up eating cauliflower and start eating Cheetos?

And yes, I've probably mentioned that it's a good thing to focus on the behaviors and for me, part of that behavior is eliminating junk food or keeping it to a minimum. They do call it junk food for a reason. ;)

Ummm, where did I say that what you do isn't normal? And where did I say *my way* was the only way? I really don't see where it says that or anything close to it. In fact, didn't I say that we all have to find what works for ourselves? I'm confused. Oh and these are another couple of questions you don't need to answer.

Mary, you are 5 1/4' taller than me,yet I was 30 lbs heavier than you - clearly we have different *issues* and therefore we'll have different *solutions*.

I'm sorry if you can't understand why *I* don't consider eating LOTS of veggies as overeating. I'm within my calorie budget and it's healthy - so therefore I don't see it as overfeeding myself. I just really can't explain it any further. But that's okay. You don't have to understand it.

I'm sure neither of us are coming out crystal clear - it's not like we're having a face to face conversation, so it sometimes gets mixed up in the written word. It's difficult to get my point across and it's difficult getting yours across. That's the way it is sometimes and I think this is one of them.:dizzy:

OK- internet communication sucks. I was NOT saying that what you are doing isn't normal. I read your post as very defensive and I felt as though you were implying that I had something to prove because I take the moderation route. I never once suggested you stop doing what you were doing - I just wasn't making the connection between focusing on "changing behaviors" and overeating. Yes, it is better to overeat veggies if we're going to overeat, but what I am saying is that I don't want to overeat anything - even veggies. The "behavior" of overeating got me to 258 pounds. I can agree that changing from overeating junk food to overeating vegetables is a change in behvavior, it just isn't what I was picturing in my mind. I hope that clarifies what I was trying to say. I have never been accused of being a great communicator.:)