Weight Loss Support - weird weight loss

View Full Version : weird weight loss

smj1987
07-26-2010, 12:27 PM
So I've noticed that when I work my butt off the scale doesn't want to move but when I slack off a bit, the scale moves farther down. What gives? Anyone else have this happen to them?

ThicknPretty
07-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Yes and I had a thread about it a couple of months ago too...mystery weight loss.

I still don't get it, but I've definitely noticed it. It's kinda neat but very confusing!

Meg
07-26-2010, 12:37 PM
I was surprised to find out that one of the reasons that we lose a few pounds when we stop exercising is that our body's volume of blood plasma decreases within 48 hours of not exercising. Blood plasma is needed to carry oxygen when exercising and if you aren't making the same metabolic demands on your body, you don't need as much plasma.

It's not fat loss, just water weight. And it will come back when you restart your exercise program. But it's a good thing. :)

Hopeful8
07-26-2010, 12:48 PM
SMJ- The same thing happens to me. I do not question the weight loss gods (especially when the scale is moving in a favorable direction) :dizzy:

carter
07-26-2010, 01:21 PM
What kind of time scale are you talking about - the next day, when you miss a day of exercise? or slacking off over a length of several weeks or months and tracking your weight loss over that time?

I usually see the scale go up the day after a workout. I attribute this to the fluid retention that comes along with muscle healing and recovering. If I skip a workout, I may very well see the scale go down the next day, since I won't have that large fluid swing. In the long run, though, I'm confident I'll see better results if I keep at the workouts. ;)