100 lb. Club - Why can't I see it?

View Full Version : Why can't I see it?

Scilla
07-23-2010, 05:58 PM
When I look in the mirror I almost always see what I looked like at 292lbs... It's insane.... Once in a while I'll see the slimmer me. I guess it's a mind set from seeing myself so big for that long? It's really noticeable cause I got bones now && I'm in way smaller size clothes. I'm just having an off day I guess. :?:

PinkHoodie
07-23-2010, 06:00 PM
I think its normal. Especially if you have been overweight for years. You just get used to the reflection in the mirror. It also could be a mild case of body dysmorphic disorder, but I do think its pretty normal. I have the opposite problem, I can't ever see myself in the mirror for the size I REALLY am. I see myself as smaller, until I see myself in pictures. :P

audrina
07-23-2010, 06:08 PM
When I look in the mirror I almost always see what I looked like at 292lbs... It's insane.... Once in a while I'll see the slimmer me. I guess it's a mind set from seeing myself so big for that long? It's really noticeable cause I got bones now && I'm in way smaller size clothes. I'm just having an off day I guess. :?:

I'm this way too. But when I see pictures of me at my highest weight and then look at myself in the mirror - I see the difference.

I don't know if this has any truth but my friend told me two days ago it takes yourself about 6 months to adjust to a new body image...

TJFitnessDiva
07-23-2010, 06:15 PM
It's totally normal....on my weird days I still can see myself at 286 in the mirror. When I get that way I look at my side-by-side before and after (or when I was losing it was a before & current pic)...it'll help!

Scilla
07-23-2010, 06:25 PM
I've looked at pics of me when I weighed that much and said Ohh my.. gawd.. and pics of me now. And theres a huge difference. I guess I need to do a better job of reminding myself of those side by sides of pics when I look in the mirror.....

rockinrobin
07-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Yeah, we all get days like that, especially early on. What I used to do? I grabbed an old skirt and tried it on. There was no mistaking it at that point - I had lost weight - and lots of it.

Quite the journey, isn't it???

Vladadog
07-23-2010, 08:33 PM
I can see the difference between then and now but I can also see that I am still fat while before I *knew* I was fat but didn't really see it.

I think now I am about the fat I was "seeing" (in my mind but not with my eyes) before when I was 60 pounds fatter. That's a terrible sentence but I bet you guys know what I mean....

time2lose
07-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Yep, me too. I have to look at pictures to see the difference. Even then it does not seem like such a big difference. I still see so much fat. However, if I stop and think, I remember how I FELT. That is where I can tell the big difference!

Shmead
07-23-2010, 09:26 PM
I can see the difference between then and now but I can also see that I am still fat while before I *knew* I was fat but didn't really see it.

I think now I am about the fat I was "seeing" (in my mind but not with my eyes) before when I was 60 pounds fatter. That's a terrible sentence but I bet you guys know what I mean....

This is me, too. I honest to god didn't look in a mirror or at a picture past about 180 lbs--I even averted my eyes from glass doors. So it wasn't until I got under that weight that things started to look better.

musestar
07-23-2010, 10:38 PM
I do the same thing. I have to look at the progress pics I've taken so far and put them side by side to see a difference.

Scilla
07-23-2010, 10:47 PM
I suppose what also makes me feel bad is that my husband is so skinny && I still see FAT. Ughhh.. I'm so extremely happy with what I've achieved so far. And yet I'm not.... I'm happily UNhappy.. haha

Onederchic
07-23-2010, 10:49 PM
If you figure it out, please let me know. I still see 330 pounds most times when I am looking in a mirror.

doingmybest
07-24-2010, 02:53 AM
I'm just looking forward to having an "after". Right now, I'm still at "before"!

No matter what all of you are seeing today, congratulations on your progress!

jennynyc77
07-24-2010, 03:06 AM
I totally agree with you that the body and mind and mirror are sometimes totally not in sync. When I was 295 pounds, I never looked in the mirror and thought I was maybe too heavy. Now, 65 pounds lighter, I am horrified! I want to be much better. It's just processing and realizing how we really are and adjusting to it that's hard.

It might just take a while for your eyes to register that they're looking at a different person, because you are. You've become someone who cares about herself. When you see old you in the mirror, look again and see new you. It took a lot of work to get there. Stare til it IS real. You did that. Almost 100 pounds is amazing. Own it, girl. :)

jenlag
07-24-2010, 03:12 AM
My best friend showed me a picture of something the other night on her iPhone. Well I started scrolling through the pictures and stopped on one of them. I thought well, she's been 'home' to Costa Rica like 4 times already this year, maybe that is someone from CR. Then after studying the picture more, I realized it had to be her other friend who I had met once before. But as I looked at the surrounding of the picture, I realized it was really familiar, the girl was ME! how could I not recognize myself??? That girl looked thin! I honest to God did not recognize myself.

I am way more critical of myself now than I was at 260 pounds! The fat now bothers me, it repulses and disgusts me, whereas before I didn't care. Everytime I go through my clothes and start getting rid of stuff that is just way too big, I always keep items thinking I can still wear it but then get it on and it floats and makes me look sloppy. I can't see me for who I really am now!! So yes I relate as well!

wickky
07-24-2010, 03:18 AM
I am 6'1". I started out at 327 lbs in a size 26. I am now done 50 lbs to 277.
I am wearing 20-22's. I look in the mirror and cannot tell that I have lost an ounce.

On the other hand, my clothes are falling off of me. The doctor told me I have lost 52 lbs since the last time I saw her, and when I look at my 2 different driver's license pics it is like looking at the face of 2 different people.

I sure hope I can start seeing the loss soon when I look at my reflection.

catherinef
07-24-2010, 04:17 AM
Wickky, I am six foot even, and I just want to let you know that the 270s range was a real bear for me, in terms of body image. I felt totally massive, even though I'd lost a good hundred pounds ALREADY at that point. Even I could start seeing the difference in a big way once I got through that range.

And, yes, I am still having big troubles seeing myself for my real size now. My husband has taken to chasing me around with a camera, because photos are actually where I see it. And then I get an e-mail from him, with a subject line like YOU ARE SKINNY and an attached jpg, which shows, yep, I definitely lost the weight.

lovemyboy
07-24-2010, 10:13 AM
I get this as well both ways. I'm in flux right now because I'm still loosing. Hopefully one day the body and mind will be on the same page. It's nice to hear from those who have been there and done that that it is normal.

Eliana
07-24-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm just looking forward to having an "after". Right now, I'm still at "before"!

No matter what all of you are seeing today, congratulations on your progress!

Yes, I hear what you're saying. ;) It's an interesting journey we take, as you will see. When I was first starting out, I had a hard time reading posts like this because I couldn't help thinking, my goodness, I'd give my right arm to lose that much weight! What on earth are you complaining about? And also the "big losers" will say things like "it just happened so quickly" and I thought, "Pshhh....every day seems like a year." Fast forward to now, and I get it.

It really does happen very fast IN RETROSPECT. And the mind just does not catch up as quickly as we'd like it to. Also, I think the way the fat moves, shifts, and comes off makes things that much more complicated. For instance, right now, my thighs, hips and rear are shrinking, but my tummy is going nowhere. So now my tummy looks huge whereas a month ago I was so proud of it. :dizzy: It feels like I've put on weight in my tummy, but the measuring tape says otherwise. It's just that other parts of me are shrinking. Things like that really mess with the head. I've always judged my weight solely on that tummy pouch.

Windchime
07-24-2010, 01:13 PM
I had the feeling (and sometimes still do) that my body stays the same, but the clothes are changing...it's weird. When I was actively losing, I really had trouble seeing the difference in the mirror but I could see that my pants were getting too big. It wasn't that I was shrinking out of the pants; it was the PANTS getting bigger.

It's weird. Now I've gained back around 15 pounds and am struggling with that. I *can* feel that it's me gaining weight, but I still tend to think of it as "these pants are getting tighter", instead of "I am gaining weight and getting to big for my britches".

Like others, I can see the differences in pictures. But not so much in the mirror. Also....I'm currently 206 lbs. When I was here on the way down and losing, I felt so happy and optimistic and slim. Now that I'm here because I have GAINED, I feel upset and sad and discouraged. Same weight, different feelings.

hpnodat
07-24-2010, 02:22 PM
I have sort of the opposite thing going on. I've never lost a significant amount of weight and I've never been thin except when I was like 9. But, my thing is about gaining weight. I still think I look the same as when I did 80 lbs ago. When I look in the mirror I see the same person. I knew I was gaining because the scale was going up and I had to wear larger clothes but to me I looked the same. Except for when I saw a picture of myself, I really could tell then.