Old 07-22-2010, 03:08 AM   #1  

Default Type 1 diabetics..?

...raise your hand!!

I've been diabetic for 7 years and am REALLY not controlling it well at the moment at all.

I just feel I have so much to sort out, my diet, diabetes and fitness and it seems impossible sometimes because it's just so much.

Cookiebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Normally I would say take baby steps, and honestly any positive steps are good, but sounds like you need to do a more radical lifestyle change to get back to normal, for your own safety. I like to go with a problem solving approach, think about the problem, and figure out solutions.
(ie, can't afford a gym? worried about time for exercise? walking is free and can be done a little at a time)
Keep coming and get a handle on things.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #3  

I honestly have moments though where is seems totally impossible and that I've probably got no chance of getting back on track...

It seems so hopeless and it's just not fair... :-(
Old 07-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #4  
In it 4 the long haul

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Cookiebell you can do it.

If I a 49 year old wife, mother of 3 and grandmother of 1. Can wake up on June 28th and decide to make a healthier life for myself then you can too.

I am a Type 2 diabetic diagnosed 3 years ago along with hypothyroidism. I really had not exercised in years. But that day I chose to walk and have been walking 6 days a week every since. With that I changed my eating habits and lowered my hgba1c to 6.3.

I don't know what obstacles are facing you but there are people on here who will support you and care about you.

Talk to us............
want2bfit4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #5  
Madeleine

CookieBell: check out some of the testimonial threads. I am just slightly obese, or at the high end of overweight. My weight loss is incredibly slow. (16 pounds in 7 months. ) Its very frustrating. Then I read about people who started out massively obese. Weighing over 300 pounds. Getting down over 100 pounds must seem insurmountable at that point. Yet they do it. They are not perfect, there are setbacks on the way, yet somehow they manage. I keep thinking, if she could do it, so can I.
What one or two things can you start with? can you add more veggies into your diet? Its summer, things are availabe, and cheaper than ever. Get some fresh veggies, and add them in, and maybe use a smaller plate to control portions. Switch to brown bread. Thats all for a bit. THen add a 15 minute walk into your day.
Tell us about it.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

*Raises hand!*

I know what a challenge it can be to lose weight and take care of your diabetes at the same time. On top of that, maintaining a weight loss with good diabetes control CAN be challenging with hypoglycemia and the stress of coping with the disease.

It can be done, though. If it's any consolation, I lost 50 pounds almost three years and have kept it off since.

if you want a friend -- or just some advice/have questions -- feel free to PM me
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

PS: getting your diabetes under better control actually seems to happen with better weight control, at least in my experience. You become twice as conscientious and your insulin requirements decrease.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #8  

Guys thank you for your replies and I'm sorry for not coming back sooner...

Have been feeling really down about all of this over the past couple of weeks - I'm seriously beginning to worry about my health and I wish I'd just realise once and for all that I *can* do something about it.

I don't have to have badly controlled diabetes, be overweight and unfit - I can change it!

It's just so hard.

I think I need to sort out the diabetes first - and do it NOW. I've been ignoring it for too long and I need to fix it otherwise, let's face it - it's going to kill me sooner rather than later.

My son starts nursery in a few weeks so I have the chance to build in a good deal of walking into my daily routine, it's a mile there and back and surely that would do me a **** of a lot of good going there and back twice a day..?

Then hopefully, the eating will fall into place too!!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #9  
Madeleine

cookiebell, exercise WILL help a lot. don't forget to take water with you to drink on the walk. You can make the food fall into place, it will work. good for you.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #10  
Striving 2 B A better me!

S/C/G: 208/203/150

Height: 5'5"

Aloha Cookiebell,
I feel your pain!... truly I do.... I have been type 1 for 17 years now, and have never had any problems..until the past 2 years. It seems that everything that could go wrong..IS..and I am very overwhelmed. I am now starting to see the side effects of this disease (hearing loss, and gastroparises) I need to get this post baby weight off, and get my A1C's under control...and I just can't seem to do it. I have tried so many different tactics..changing the way I eat..added the exercise ..but still the blood sugars are all over the place..my doctors are at a loss as to why I am not getting better. I can't get the weight off fast enough to feel better..(and I have very good self control!)
My kids are the ones that keep me motivated. When I am so weary with being sick and not feeling well..I focus on them..I want to see them grow up, and If I can't get a hold of this then I won't be here for long.
I see you are a mom..let that be your inspiration..we can do this....one day at a time..one foot in front of the other... we can do this!

Mizstar
Mizstar is offline   Reply With Quote