100 lb. Club - Why exercise annoys me......

View Full Version : Why exercise annoys me......

TXMary2
07-21-2010, 09:49 PM
So, my mom bought a treadmill with lots of bells and whistles. She lives behind me so all I have to do is walk through the backyard and through the gate and instant gym!Sort of. Anyway, I walked for 21 minutes mostly at an incline of 2.5 at a 3.0 - 3.5 mph. I was sweating, huffing and really feeling proud of myself. That is until I logged it on fitday and it said I burned 98 calories. :mad: How can something feel so beneficial and really work me over and be so little benefit? Is it really worth it? What am I getting besides sweaty, tired and a loss of 98 calories? I mean there is the sense of accomplishment of not dropping dead, but seriously, what's the point?

Sorry I am whining, it just seems like I did it for nothing.

applelady
07-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Focus on the positives. In a short 20 minutes you burned off a snack. Almost 100 calories is not shabby in that short of time. Get a Heart Rate Monitor that calculates calories based on your personal stats. It may have been a little more. Also think about how much your cardiovascuar system is luvin u right now. :-) Hang in there and before u know it you will be burning 300 cals.

kendra
07-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Pretty soon you will be able to do more and more and will love it. Hang in there! You are getting healthier, getting more oxygen, getting the blood moving, sweating out the toxins, etc. I know I started out walking 15 minutes about 2 months ago, now I can do 40 minutes and ran 3 minutes today. It does make a difference, give it time. You can do this! :hug:

ubergirl
07-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Don't even think of exercise in terms of "calories burned." Think of it as something that you are doing for yourself to make you stronger-- part of the whole new lifestyle.

The more you do, the more your body will tone and shape and the better you'll feel. Before you know it, you'll be doing way more than you thought possible.

ducktape54
07-21-2010, 10:27 PM
I know for myself I don't generally enjoy working out. But I finally found a workout that I enjoyed and it doesn't feel as painful. It is also nice when you can slowly notice yourself doing more and more.

astrophe
07-21-2010, 10:34 PM
I find that Fitday's exercise estimates are off.

If you have a heart rate monitor, that is a better estimate of calories burned.

HTH!
A.

ShellydeFlores
07-21-2010, 10:40 PM
You know....I wonder how accurate the Fitday is. I've heard of other people using this as well. I have used another calculator for awhile. I actually heard about it from another 3FC forum.
http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/calculat.htm

Try this out. It will go by time and weight...there are a huge list of activities for that time alottment. Well...even if it doesn't come out accurate, I'm sure it will make you feel better!!

TXMary2
07-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks ladies. Actually, the treadmill did say I burned 165 calories when I checked my heart rate. Fitday just didn't agree with the treadmill I guess. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter. Thanks for the perspective ladies- that I am doing this for health not to "burn calories" necessarily. I just feel defeated sometimes because exercising while fat and out of shape is not fun!!!

LitChick
07-21-2010, 11:02 PM
I would try not to focus so much on the calorie burn. You are doing something good for your body and building your stamina. As you increase your frequency/regularity of exercise, you'll find you're able to do more and for longer.

I'd also suggest mixing it up so you're not always on the treadmill - that will help with boredom. There are plenty of exercise DVDs out there - some cable providers even have them on demand. Or try listening to music or an audiobook while on the treadmill.

Focus on the positives and pretty soon you'll be amazed at the improvements!

Zoesmama
07-22-2010, 02:43 AM
Yeah Keep at it. Soon your 21 minutes will be 45 minutes and a lot more calories. YES absolutely 98 calories is worth it.

Remember also calculators are estimates and vary GREATLY depending on your weight. Does fitday estimate calories based on your weight? I can't remember since it was long ago I was on fitday(use just sparkpeople now) but exercise burn varies based on ones weight.

PLUS it may burn 98 calories in that 21 minutes but the lean muscle you gain from working out will burn more even when you are back home sitting.

I agree mix it up. If you can get an exercise bike to add in there or even those blocks with peddles you can get at Target/Walmart fairly inexpensive. When I have a gym membership that is what I do instead of 45 minutes on one machine I move around. I usually start with 15 on treadmill and slow down and switch to "spinning" for another 15-30 or I may even do elliptical. So the variety was nice and kept me going.

Eliana
07-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Yep, another here who says ignore the calories. I'm finding now that that the less you weigh the fewer calories you burn and if I was focused on calorie burn it would be disheartening. My girlfriend and I each have a computer on our bikes. We rode the same path together at the same time. She burned 950 calories and I burned 638...if we believe it's accurate. ;)

I focus on numbers like milage, time spent, and heart rate. When I first started running, my HR shot up to the 180's easily. Today at my peak, my HR was 119. To me, that's very impressive.

It's flat out amazing, shockingly amazing, how quickly our bodies adapt to the exercise we make them endure. ;)

time2lose
07-22-2010, 08:35 AM
What am I getting besides sweaty, tired and a loss of 98 calories?

I am glad you asked. :) You burned some calories and also got:

* improved overall fitness
* reduced low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (the "bad" cholesterol)
* Increased high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (the "good" cholesterol)
* Low blood pressure
* Reduced risk of heart disease
* Reduced risk of type 2 diabetes

tinycities
07-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Whilst I understand your discouragement, I totally agree with the comments above that suggest focusing less on calorie burn from exercise, and more on the other excellent benefits that exercise gives you.

If all you do is eat fewer calories, sure, you will lose weight. But being a normal weight doesn't mean having a great (or even good) body, and being fit. People of a healthy weight for their height can have not-so-great physiques if there is no well-built muscle there to give them great shape and posture. People of normal weight can and will get sweaty and out of breath if they are unfit. People of normal weight can have problems with high cholesterol, even if they aren't at all fat.

By engaging in regular exercise as well as healthy eating, you manage to lose excess fat on your body, and build a great physique, posture, and level of fitness that you would not achieve through calorie restriction and weight loss alone. That's why I think you shouldn't be discouraged if you find that your estimated calories burned through a particular exercise doesn't seem terribly high - there are just so many other benefits that exercise can, exclusively, give to you.

TXMary2
07-22-2010, 09:22 AM

* Low blood pressure

Thank you Cheryl. I am a Type 2 Diabetic and one of my goals is to have it 100% under control so that I no longer need to take medication. I also have high blood pressure and would love to be off that medication as well. I still have young children and it makes me feel horrible that at age 38 I have these medications to take daily. Ugh! I will continue to challenge myself with exercise and I will ignore the calories burned and instead focus on the benefits I can't immediately see.:)

Eliana
07-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Thank you Cheryl. I am a Type 2 Diabetic and one of my goals is to have it 100% under control so that I no longer need to take medication. I also have high blood pressure and would love to be off that medication as well. I still have young children and it makes me feel horrible that at age 38 I have these medications to take daily. Ugh! I will continue to challenge myself with exercise and I will ignore the calories burned and instead focus on the benefits I can't immediately see.:)
Oh, definitely! My favorite aspect of exercise!!

In three months time:
I brought my BP down from 155/105 to 116/65.
My resting HR came down from 85 to 46. :yikes:
My blood sugar came down from 104 to 86.

And that was just the first 45 pounds! I don't know what has happened to my blood sugar since then and I need to have my cholesterol rechecked because it was bad.

THAT is what the point was. ;) Seriously, that is the point. My DH recently took himself off his BP meds due to exercise.

PaulaM
07-22-2010, 10:02 AM
That's not the way to look at it! I joined the Y last November, and I now work out four days a week two hours at a time. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I can see muscles I haven't seen in decades. My calves look like they used to, not cankles any more. I'm starting to see hipbones (well at least when I'm lying down LOL). As others already said, working out is so much more than calories burned. It will make you feel so much more alive and peppy if nothing else. I just can't do the starving, feeling weak thing, I'd much rather become very active.

lookin2lose
07-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Even though you only burn x amount of calories at the "gym"...you are still burning more calories hours AFTER you leave the gym after those 21 minutes of exercise. You're body doesn't stop burning calories when the treadmill stops...

Hang in there, once you start seeing the differences you'll be so proud you kept it up!

dragonwoman64
07-22-2010, 01:51 PM

* Low blood pressure

not to mention it helps with your bones, organs (placement and functioning) and mood/mental health (natural serotonin levels)

Zoesmama
07-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Wow Eliana that was some massive changes all over your health. Way to go!!!

I wanna see my BP come down to that too. I know it lowers when the weight comes off in my case. I've seen it happen. But I'm sure exercise I do to get there was helping even if it wasn't much.

Okay I'm off to do my workout for the day.

pinkflower
07-22-2010, 04:40 PM
oh gosh, and energy! I can do so much more now and have energy all day! I get a relaxed buzzy type of feeling every time I exercise. I Love it, even though I love being a couch potato too lol

lovemyboy
07-22-2010, 08:31 PM
I don't even count them as calories burned just to avoid that scenario. I have been there too. The other trouble is I get bored running nowhere so I try to run outside to keep from being bored. I change up my route too. One day soon you'll notice your muscles feel firmer or a quicker skip in your step or my personal favorite, the ability to do something that would have previously would have made you huff and puff and sweat in a non-exercise situation. For me that situation was having to climb up several flights of stairs after a tornado drill because the elevators were out without gasping or getting massive thigh chaffing.

GoldenLeaf
07-22-2010, 08:43 PM
You know what disappoints me... seeing that I burn 300 cals in 50 minutes compared to my boyfriend's 1000 calories! Of course he burns more because he's over 20cm taller than me, 20 kilos heavier, and has a ton more muscle than me... but yeah even at max heart rate our calorie burning rates are sooooo different! No wonder I'm losing weight slower than him!!!

So now I try not to think about the calories I burn at all and just measure my minutes done and work at optimum heart rate. It's all I can do.

Oh and I'm doing a Psyc subject this year and our research report is on the mood elevation benefits of exercise. Exercise has such an important role in mental health. Seriously... it's basically essential to a healthy positive mood based on the research I've been reading. The best part is so long as you work at about 60% or so of max heart rate for 30 mins a day, you get the mood improvements from immediately. You don't need to be a cal-burning machine or do any particular kind of exercise [so do whatever you enjoy so long as it gets the heart rate up] to start seeing benefits to your life as a whole.

Shmead
07-22-2010, 09:31 PM
I think of exercise an an investment in maintenance: it's true that it's hard out of shape, overweight person exercise off enough calories to actually melt fat away--creating a calorie deficit requires eating less--but it is very possible for an in-shape, athletic type to exercise enough to allow indulgences while maintaining their weight.

When I get to maintenance, I want to be able to indulge myself, so I need to be in shape for when I get there.

TXMary2
07-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks for all the great information. I am done with my pity party! I am not exercising so I can eat more or anything, I just wanted to see that I "burned" a lot off. I went for 30 minutes today at about 3.0-3.2 mph and an incline of 2. I felt really good when I was done. I noticed that I very easily go over the target heart rate of "maximum fat burning" and even surpass the aerobic heart rate, so I kept a slower pace of 3.0 -3.2 so I don't hurt myself.

If I understand correctly, once I get into better shape I will have to work harder to get to target heart rate? Is that right?

Eliana
07-23-2010, 06:56 AM
If I understand correctly, once I get into better shape I will have to work harder to get to target heart rate? Is that right?

Definitely. I don't know if I did it right, but I ignored those charts and just used them as a reference. I much prefer "perceived exertion". A lot of people use the "talk test". You should at least be working toward a point where it's difficult to hold a conversation. I prefer the point where it's tough to hold a sentence. The anaerobic stage is a state where you could huff out a word but don't want to and it's also a state you couldn't hold for more than 20 seconds or so. It's good to work through all the different stages in intervals. On the treadmill this would translate to a nice steady walk at a low incline for a few minutes then increasing the incline significantly with an increase also in pace for a minute or two and then backing it down again for recovery.

My heart rate made drastic changes quickly. Initially I was worried about how high my HR was on those machines. If I'd paid attention to the charts I'd never have gotten past a nice leisurely walk. But I didn't listen to the charts, went instead by how I felt, and now today I have a hard time getting my HR above 120 and anything above 130 is anaerobic, or unsustainable for long periods of time.