South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #1  
Ready for baby #2

S/C/G: 245/238.8/140

Height: 5/3

Default Newbie question about snacks

Hi all. I am starting phase 1 on Sunday and I want to make sure I am fully prepared. I get up at 5 AM and have to be at work at 6 AM so I eat breakfast really early. I don't have lunch until noon, and I find with only one snack in between I get really hungry. I was told by my doc I need to be eating every 2 hours or so to keep up my metabolism. and I allowed to have more than one snack in between meals, and if so what would you all recommend? Sooooo excited to get on plan and have a full clean phase1.

Thanks!!
Jessiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #2  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

My favorite snacks on Phase 1 are pistachios and string cheese. And you should totally have a snack between! I find that if I pack it full of protein I last longer between eating.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

I agree with PinkHoodie - cheese and nuts (even peanuts) are great. Cut veggies are good to have too, but you may need some protein with them (cheese or hummus maybe). I also liked the turkey pepperoni crisps if you have access to a microwave. Roasted chickpeas? A sugar-free latte? Rolled sliced turkey breast? A cup of soup.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Remember to watch your cheese intake for the day. Too much cheese will slow your losses. Same idea with nuts and nut butters.

I would recommend lean protein (sliced turkey or chicken) and veggies. Cut veggies and hummus is a great snack. Fiber and protein are what is going to hold you. Fresh veggies contain a lot of fiber and are quite portable.

A smoothie might be a good option for you too. You could make it ahead of time and bring it to work with you and stash it in the fridge until you're ready.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:35 AM   #5  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Get some chia seeds (most health food stores have them) and put a tablespoon or so in a huge glass of water with lemon and sweetener and sip with a straw throughout the morning and afternoon and it will keep you full and energized.
I also love them in tea or crytal lite. Gives you something to "chew" on as you drink. Google "health benefits of chia seeds" for lots more good info on them. I love them and they are just plain fun too.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:18 AM   #6  
Ready for baby #2

S/C/G: 245/238.8/140

Height: 5/3

Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone! I can wait to get started!!
Jessiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #7  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

100 calorie pack almonds (or nuts) (only once a day though!)
Celery or green or red pepper slices with garlic hummus
Celery with sugar free natural peanut butter (only if you haven't had a serving of nuts that day)
Reduced fat cheddar chunks

You should look for the roasted chickpea recipe on this forum. Great take-along snack.

Sometimes if I'm feeling the urge to snack and I've already had snacks, I open up a can of green beans or greens (mustard greens, turnip greens) and flavor them with apple cider vinegar. Yum. Good for you and it gets some of your veggies in.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote