South Beach Diet - Newbie question about snacks

View Full Version : Newbie question about snacks

Jessiebear
07-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi all. I am starting phase 1 on Sunday and I want to make sure I am fully prepared. I get up at 5 AM and have to be at work at 6 AM so I eat breakfast really early. I don't have lunch until noon, and I find with only one snack in between I get really hungry. I was told by my doc I need to be eating every 2 hours or so to keep up my metabolism. and I allowed to have more than one snack in between meals, and if so what would you all recommend? Sooooo excited to get on plan and have a full clean phase1.

Thanks!!

PinkHoodie
07-21-2010, 10:27 PM
My favorite snacks on Phase 1 are pistachios and string cheese. And you should totally have a snack between! I find that if I pack it full of protein I last longer between eating. :)

WaistingTime
07-21-2010, 11:43 PM
I agree with PinkHoodie - cheese and nuts (even peanuts) are great. Cut veggies are good to have too, but you may need some protein with them (cheese or hummus maybe). I also liked the turkey pepperoni crisps if you have access to a microwave. Roasted chickpeas? A sugar-free latte? Rolled sliced turkey breast? A cup of soup.

zeffryn
07-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Remember to watch your cheese intake for the day. Too much cheese will slow your losses. Same idea with nuts and nut butters.

I would recommend lean protein (sliced turkey or chicken) and veggies. Cut veggies and hummus is a great snack. Fiber and protein are what is going to hold you. Fresh veggies contain a lot of fiber and are quite portable.

A smoothie might be a good option for you too. You could make it ahead of time and bring it to work with you and stash it in the fridge until you're ready.

femmecreole
07-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Get some chia seeds (most health food stores have them) and put a tablespoon or so in a huge glass of water with lemon and sweetener and sip with a straw throughout the morning and afternoon and it will keep you full and energized.
I also love them in tea or crytal lite. Gives you something to "chew" on as you drink. Google "health benefits of chia seeds" for lots more good info on them. I love them and they are just plain fun too.

Jessiebear
07-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone! I can wait to get started!!

Fat Melanie
07-22-2010, 06:24 PM
100 calorie pack almonds (or nuts) (only once a day though!)
Celery or green or red pepper slices with garlic hummus
Celery with sugar free natural peanut butter (only if you haven't had a serving of nuts that day)
Reduced fat cheddar chunks

You should look for the roasted chickpea recipe on this forum. Great take-along snack.

Sometimes if I'm feeling the urge to snack and I've already had snacks, I open up a can of green beans or greens (mustard greens, turnip greens) and flavor them with apple cider vinegar. Yum. Good for you and it gets some of your veggies in.