Weight Loss Support - Things I Can't Possibly Change

View Full Version : Things I Can't Possibly Change

SCraver
07-21-2010, 04:23 PM
I was wondering what little quirks everyone has - things in their diet that they just can't change and will make accomidations to fit them into their calorie count/points/whatever.

Like for me - Blue Cheese Dressing. I can NOT substitute FF Blue Cheese Dressing. I either have to use a whole different dressing or only eat the regular stuff on rare, special occassions.

rachinma
07-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Ranch dressing. Same deal. I just stopped using it. The fat free version tasted like vomit.

VictoriaE
07-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Starbucks! I'll be good and get nonfat milk and sugar free syrups but I will always give into a latte or frapp and just work out a bit harder later

gottadoit2010
07-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Cheese! I have to have the real stuff!

Eliana
07-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Sweeteners. They give me migraines. So it's water or nothing. I've been pop free for over months and counting! And I can't have anything "sugar free" or "lite" or any fakey desserts like that because of the sweeteners. So it's full sugar or nothing for me...most of the time I go with nothing.

Chocolate or popcorn...I will not and can not give up chocolate or popcorn, but especially chocolate.

hpnodat
07-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Heinz ketchup, Heinz 57, Sweet baby rays original bbq sauce, and real cheese. Fortunately, I don't eat it very often but if I do it has to be that.

tea2
07-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Real cheese for me too. And aspartame gives me a headache, so nothing with sweeteners.

Petite Powerhouse
07-21-2010, 04:59 PM
I avoid artificial sweeteners, just like I largely avoid sugar, for health reasons, so that doesn't really count. But I absolutely will not eat fat-free cheese. I find it abhorrent. And, well, fat is good for you, provided you pay attention to what you eat. I'm not afraid of the fat in cheese. Given that, I suppose I don't feel I am making accommodations in my diet for cheese.

I will eat refined sugar in moderation. I am not opposed to chocolate or cheesecake or ice cream.... And I always eat "the real thing" when I indulge. I could change this: I've gone without sugar for months on end before. I just choose not to change it. I like having real, honest-to-goodness-decadent dessert. I'd rather eat one piece of Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake a month than eat a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich every day. So, I suppose that is the second reason that I avoid artificial sweeteners: I like my sugar.

saef
07-21-2010, 05:27 PM
As others have said: Really good artisanal cheese.

I love Murray's & the thought that I could never even in my life have a sliver or a fragment of the wonderful stuff they carry there would make me very sad.

http://www.murrayscheese.com/

paris81
07-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Cheese for sure! The low fat stuff just doesn't taste good at all--I'd rather not eat it at all. So I just have less real cheese, which is probably healthier anyway!

serendipity907
07-21-2010, 06:08 PM
I can't stand using spready cheeses as a substitute for cheddar or something, but I'm fine using LF cheddar. I can't taste a very big difference. Also not a fan of WW bread and the thin slice low cal ones that just make floppy sandwiches :s
I'd rather use up some extra calories on some nice granary etc!

MedChick87
07-21-2010, 06:18 PM
I definitely second the Starbucks one!! There are actually a lot of low calorie options there...I've switched to the hot green tea...delish and I'm pretty sure it's 0 calories!

ubergirl
07-21-2010, 06:27 PM
full-fat dairy.

I still put whole milk in my coffee, even though it's not much, and if I have to choose between half and half I and low-fat I go for the low-fat.

I also sometimes eat full-fat yogurt in 4 oz servings and ditto for full-fat cottage cheese.

I much prefer the taste, and in small servings the calorie difference is small.

westernsoutherngirl
07-21-2010, 06:35 PM
Okay well this is a lot bigger than the things you guys named but cheeseburgers are the one food I just can't give up! Just absolutely have to have one sometimes and make everything else work around it! I can sometimes knock the craving off by eating a veggie patty with all the condiments, etc on it but other times I have to have the real thing!

audrina
07-21-2010, 06:43 PM
I hate to say it, but Chipotle. I just ... I can't have anything other than a burrito. BUT! I make allowences for it in my daily calories when I know I'm going to have it and I discovered you can ask for half portions of their servings and they'll give it to you, so viola!

ncuneo
07-21-2010, 07:26 PM
I'll be honest, I really haven't given anything up. I really feel that everything can be enjoyed in moderation if you approach it correctly and plan for it. The only thing that I have given up for the most part is fast food. I was never a fast food junkie per se, but I didn't enjoy it occassionally. Now it just makes me cringe and sounds completely unappealing and I know that anything I can make will be a million times better and won't make me feel like crap. If I go out to eat I want it to be really worth it or I want to plan ahead and make healthier choices that I enjoy more. But I do enjoy a decadent dessert or martini from time to time :)

kaygee41
07-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Like many of you, there is NO way i could give up the cheese! :D

therex
07-21-2010, 10:55 PM
i cant give up diet coke. it's so bad for me, but it's so good.. i only buy 1 can though when i go grocery shopping so it's cut down my consumption by like a million.

jendiet
07-21-2010, 11:16 PM
i also am not giving up anything. I avoid certain foods that are triggers. I absolutely HATE artificial sweeteners. I have one thing i have been able to tolerate splenda in--that is the myofusion drink I bought. However, after it is gone, i will be replacing it with one without a/s. That stuff gives me headaches, and i'm convinced it is poison.

I also don't give up fat. I don't eat low fat anything on purpose. I might tolerate it in some foods, definitely not milk though. my milk, cheese and butter have to be real full fat stuff. I love raw nuts--so that is always on my menu.

like someone else said, our bodies need fat.

Latchkey Princess
07-22-2010, 12:39 AM
2 not-so-good-for-me things I will never be able to give up...

My husband's baja fish tacos with adobo sauce and cheeseburgers. I just make my own cheeseburgers now so I can control how much meat and other stuff goes into them (plus they taste so much better). And as for the tacos, well, I just don't plan on having them every night! lol

steph15
07-22-2010, 12:48 AM
I love my red wine! I allow myself a glass on Saturday nights after I weigh in for the week.

Serbrider
07-22-2010, 06:07 AM
Ice Cream. I've tried multiple low fat/low calorie/low carb ice creams... BLECH. I have to have the real thing. Good thing that... normally at least... I don't eat it that often.

Well... I think that's it. I've fallen in love with Soy Milk. Almost everything else, the low calorie/low fat/healthier thing just tastes so much better to me. :p

Rochester
07-22-2010, 07:54 AM
I agree with just about everything that has already been said - hamburgers (turkey burgers and veggie burgers don't even come close as a substitute!), cheese, full fat dairy products and salad dressings, Starbucks, wine.

Two additional items for me:
Bacon! :ink: Turkey bacon is beyond disgusting so I only eat real bacon, but only 1 or 2 slices a week.

Pizza! :jeno: I know it's going to give me a stomach ache the whole next day, and the calories are just unbelievable, so I seriously limit how much and how often. But, oh how I love a really good pizza from the local pizzeria!

SCraver
07-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Lol! I agree with everyone on the cheese thing! My mom used to get FAT FREE american cheese. ~gag~ It was so nasty. It wouldn't melt. I would rather never eat cheese again.

And ever since I was PG with my son, I haven't been able to stand artificial sweetners. :barf: I REALLY wish they would make soda with about half the sugar (or less!) and use REAL sugar.

Tomorrow, I am planning to have a cheeseburger... I can't wait. I have been craving them for at least a week now. (so, I know it isn't just a whim that will pass). Don't get me wrong - I enjoy a turkey burger :turkey: or veggie burger :broc: on occassion... but for what they are. They are NOT substitutes for a juicy hunk of cow. Mmmm... :moo:

Beach Patrol
07-22-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm another one who doesn't believe in giving up anything. I've tried! - and for all my hard work & occasional successes all I truly got was MISERABLE.

All things in moderation, I always say! :carrot: But I do try to cut portion sizes, and also to eat MORE of the healthy foods so I won't be so ravenous for the UNhealthy foods. I have found that "noshing" every couple of hours (eating 5-6x per day) is better for me than 3 bigger meals.

I have been already using things like skim milk instead of whole, 2% cheese instead of full-fat, etc. for decades. So whole milk just seems icky to me, and full-fat cheese seems "too thick" or whatever. I try to substitute the "lesser evil" whenever possible. Such as eating sugar free jello pudding instead of a 1/2 bowl of regular chocolate ice cream. It's that chocolate-y taste I'm after, and I have found that I can get it for cheaper (fewer) calories if I try.

Then there are things like Mountain Dew. My most favorite drink ever! - I tried Diet Mtn Dew, but it was JUST GROSS!!!... so ... I started mixing regular Dew with Diet Dew until little by little I had more diet than regular... and finally now I just drink diet and I like it.

I find little tricks like that help me most of all. ;)

Oh, and Long Live Chocolate!!! :cloud9:

MonteCristo
07-22-2010, 02:04 PM
I do not do subsitutes (except coke zero, prefer it to classic). I'd rather have the real thing less often and/or in smaller quantities.

DhaniCauldwell
07-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Pizza. I have it every Saturday, just in moderation (I only eat 1 or 2 slices) and I always dab the grease off with a napkin.

:queen: Dhani :queen:

Hamoco350
07-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Ice-cream and the very occasional Chinese take-out. For the Chinese food I always pick a healthy, veggie oriented option. However, when it comes to ice-cream I want GOOD stuff. Once every two weeks, only if I've been completely on plan, I have a small blizzard from DQ. If I mess up, even a little, I don't let myself have it. I love ice-cream so this is actually a GREAT method of motivation, plus I don't have to actually keep it in the home.

losermom
07-22-2010, 05:31 PM
I have always preferred skim milk so that's not an issue, but here's my list:

Butter
Full fat cheese
White pasta, which is weird because my family enjoys the ww stuff but I am not in love with it.
Artificial sweetners, bring on the stevia!
Diet Pepsi, but not everyday.
Alcohol, whether a light beer or cocktail, I'm going to have 1 or 2.

Everything in moderation, I will make allowances to eat what I want. Life is too short.

constance21
07-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Cheese!! & Red wine! :)

GoldenLeaf
07-22-2010, 10:13 PM
I'd rather have real sugar than sweeteners. I rarely eat it anyway because it bothers my sensitive teeth and gives me heartburn... but when I want something sweet I definitely go for the real thing.

oodlesofnoodles
07-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Butter and dessert. My cousin's MIL was trying to tell me that I should only have dessert once in a blue moon (like 3 times a year...) and I thought she was insane. I almost always eat cake at a birthday party. If I didn't budget it in, I have a tiny piece, but if I did, I have a normal sized piece with no ice cream.

I have to have dessert at lesat a couple times a week.

And I love butter. It makes everything taste better lol. But you don't need much to get the butter flavor which makes me happy.

synger
07-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Real cheese, full-fat dairy, and alcohol.

I've had days when I've eaten only about 1100 calories in food because I knew I was going to be drinking that evening and wanted to save the calories for my bourbon-and-sodas or red wine.

girlonfire
07-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Pizza and beer! I am such a frat boy lol. Luckily my tolerance for alcohol is really low so caloric damage from drinking is usually in the 300 or 400 calorie range: not great but for every one in awhile not too bad.

And yes, I love cheese! Mmmmmmm cheese and bread. Can you tell I spent time in France?

Mickeypnd
07-23-2010, 12:55 PM
my love for soda's. I really wish I could change that. Im trying tho!

Renwomin
07-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Nothing is off my every once in a while list. But I have tried to substitute for lower calorie options in my every day eating.

Good quality beer - I absolutely, positively will not drink the mass produced "low calorie" swill that is produced as "beer" in this country. I'm a beer snob can you tell? :p

I can't stand fat free cheese but I will eat 2% milk or lower fat cheese happily.

Sweetners - I would have a really hard time cutting these out and having to use regular sugar, honey, agave nectar. Too many calories otherwise and I really like some things sweet - coffee, iced tea, tomato pasta sauce, etc..

Salt - I know it doesn't have calories but I've had a hard time cutting this back.

I used to think I couldn't get by without really thick cheesecake but I had some the other day and it made me sick! I think I actually could like a lower fat version of this treat!

sweetnlow28
07-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Ditto on the cheese :)
Coffee whitener, about 6 tbsp a day
stevia and splenda
cool whip
soya sauce and other higher sodium foods
white pasta, I buy fiber enriched catelli smart
higher calorie microwave popcorn. I cant stand smart pop or air popped

katkitten
07-24-2010, 04:35 AM
salt. I am a nurse. Not a day goes by that I do not explain to a patient the importance of adhering to a low salt diet. I'm a total hypocrite. :o