Atkins - What's for dinner? A Place to Post?

Pages : [1] 2 3

sandyfanny
07-20-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm starting this thread so I can post what I'm having for dinner tonight, and I hope some of you will post your dinner menu. It'll help keep me focused on eating Atkins and will give me lots of ideas. I'm cooking for one, so it's not too much fun. Atkins seems to be a lot of prep and a lot of cooking unless you want grilled protein and a salad every night. Anyway, what's for dinner?

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs cooked in olive oil with red onion and garlic, then simmered in sour cream.

I'm eating the sauce over steamed cauliflower and having a salad with lettuce, tomato and cucumber. Bleu Cheese dressing. There you go!

LTs girl
07-20-2010, 09:42 PM
I made a roast with potatoes and carrots (for the rest of the family). I will add a salad to my plate.

Last night I had a rotisserie chicken from walmart-(peeled off the skin). Yummy. Had leftovers for lunch. I found the red hot buffalo hot sauce and it has 0 carbs, but I still try not to overdue it.

Gelene
07-20-2010, 10:01 PM
We had smothered chicken. Boneless skinless baked chicken breast sprinkled with Montreal Chicken seasoning and topped with sauteed mushrooms, red bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Monterey Jack cheese over that and back in the oven to melt. Steamed broccoli on the side. Yummo!

sandyfanny
07-21-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm your girl, Gelene, I'll buy some jack cheese and mushrooms today - I'm using your menu tonight!

sandyfanny
07-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Great idea...a roast. If I made a decent-sized roast, I could eat for a couple of days and not feel that all I do is cook. How do you make your roast Lsgirl?

LTs girl
07-21-2010, 01:10 PM
I love my pressure cooker. I just add some seasonings, 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, veggies and it is done in 1.5 hours. It is so tender it falls apart, no knife required.

Torister
07-21-2010, 01:22 PM
I love rotisserie chicken! I eat the skin tho...YUM! Rotisserie chicken makes an awesome chicken salad too! I will get that if I am in a hurry and don't want to take the time to cook the chicken. I then just strip it and make a great chicken salad.

Last night I had a big ceasar salad topped with freshly shredded parm. cheese and grilled chicken thighs. YUM!

Deena52
07-21-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm with you, Torister...I LOVE dark meat chicken and turkey and LOVE to eat the skin. I love the fattier meats and on Atkins, it's NO problem. You don't HAVE to eat the dry 'ole skinless, boneless chicken breasts (although these are GREAT to use for making chicken salad...much easier to dice).

This is kinda gross...but I LOVE the turkey tail. I always run and grab it every Thanksgiving as soon as the bird is out of the oven.

Sandyfanny and the other ladies here...whenever roasts were on sale at the grocery store, I would buy a few. I would cook one at a time ( I season it, put it in a pan, cover and seal the pan with aluminum foil, and then put in a 350 degree oven. Then...I would slice the whole thing up and wrap the slices. I could either eat slices for snacks....with mayo...or dice them up and make roast beef salad.

I found that it was really helpful for me to have already prepared salads in the fridge....chicken salad, egg salad, roast beef salad, etc. Usually I would just toss a scoop onto a bowl of that pre-packaged lettuce/salad mix. But it was a great solution to that problem of coming home really hungry and not wanting to have to wait until something cooked (esp. if I'd forgotten to defrost something). Coming home really hungry/ravenous was a potential disaster in the making for me (just like the old saying that you shouldn't go grocery shopping when you are really hungry...or you'll buy out the whole store). Having actual meal-type food already prepared in the fridge was a huge life-saver for me.....for when snack food just wasn't gonna cut it and I needed some food ASAP.

deena :)

LTs girl
07-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Alright! I confess! I eat the skin too. I love it. lol!

sandyfanny
07-21-2010, 07:22 PM
By the time I went to the dentist, shopped with a friend, and went to the grocery to buy the ingredients for the smothered chicken and got home, it was 6:45 and I was starving. Fortunately, I also brought a rotisserie chicken too.

So, dinner tonight:

Rotisserie chicken wings and a thigh, cauliflower from last night topped with homemade pimento cheese and heated in the microwave. Super-fast and delicious!

I'll try the smothered chicken tomorrow.

My favorite aunt used to cook for us in a pressure cooker all the time, and she made the best dinners in no time. I don't have one, but maybe I should invest.

LTs girl
07-21-2010, 07:57 PM
It was a x-mas gift from my mother-in-law. She got it because we are always busy and she thought it would help w/dinner. She was right. It can also double as a crock pot. Well worth the money.

Next I think I will buy a whole chicken and make it in there.

Dinner tonight-
Chicken with cauliflower rice (salt and pepper and a little soy sauce) and a little bit of broccoli.

Shells
07-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Left over butter chicken and steamed green beans. The butter chicken is marinated overnight in lime juice, cumin, coriander, pepper, salt, garlic, cayenne, cardamon. Then you saute a diced onion in butter, add the chicken, add a can of diced tomatoes (I get rid of the juice) add some tomato paste and then a pint of cream ...... garnish with cilantro. Makes a ton of sauce but I love just eating it with a spoon, no rice or potatoes or bread required as far as I am concerned.

sandyfanny
07-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Thank you for your post and the recipe. I'll definitely try it. I'll bet I could take that ton of sauce left over, puree it and eat as a soup!

sandyfanny
07-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Tonight I had a filet mignon grilled in burnt butter and a chef's salad - mixed greens with a thick tomato slice, a hard-boiled egg, shredded cheddar cheese. Bleu Cheese dressing.

My grocer does a great job of slashing the prices on very expensive cuts of meat as they near their "Sell by" date. I buy 'em and eat 'em up!

Simona
07-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Tonight I'm making parmesan crusted chicken breasts with mashed cauliflower. I'll have this for lunch tomorrow too as I re-start my Atkins journey.

sandyfanny
07-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks for posting, Simona; your menu sounds easy and satisfying. If you have time, would you reply with the recipe? Do you dip your chicken in anything before you coat it with cheese? Any oil or butter involved?

Good for you, re-starting Atkins. Me too...let's encourage each other along the way.

countrycowgirl
07-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Not Simona (Simona, please forgive the jump-in) but this is how I do my parmesan crusted chicken breasts: rinse and pat dry the chicken, preheat skillet with about 1/4" good olive oil, beat 2 eggs with 2 tablespoons heavy cream, about 1 cup grated parmesan in shallow dish, add more if needed (if you have shredded parmesan, whirl in food processor to grated consistency), dip chicken in egg mixture, press in cheese, turn and press other side, fry as you would regular fried chicken; when turning, use a spatula instead of tongs as they tend to stick and you loose the coating. I season the cheese with seasoned salt and pepper. I fry 3 large breasts, 2 with parmesan and 1 for hubby using a flour mixture.

sandyfanny
07-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks so much for the recipe. I'll try it tomorrow. I appreciate the recipe and the cooking tips!

Simona
07-23-2010, 12:19 PM
That's exactly how I make mine! And I will credit JerseyGirl - it was her idea when I asked a while ago about breading chicken without bread :D

I will say I bread chicken for the family using bread crumbs and when they see my chicken, they get jealous because mine looks and smells better :)

countrycowgirl
07-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Isn't JerseyGyrl wonderful!! She is so knowledgeable and so very generous to share that knowledge and her experience.:hug:

sandyfanny
07-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Last night I ate with friends at Front Street Brewery. It's so hot, I didn't miss the alcohol and drank water and unsweetened tea with lots of lemon. I ordered Parmesan Chicken Wings and a Greek salad off the appetizer menu instead of an entree - the entrees didn't look like I could stay OP. I ordered Bleu cheese dressing to top my salad and dip my wings. It was delicious and looked better than my friends' wraps!

Then we went down the street to a German restaurant famous for its pastries and desserts. I ordered decaf coffee, lots of cream, and strawberry cream roll. We each ordered something different, so I had ONE bite of my friends' choices and ate 3 bites of my dessert and drank my coffee. Then I had the waitress split my cream roll into two boxes and sent it home with my friends. Not the ideal Atkins choice by far, but I'm proud that I didn't gobble it all up or sit around being miserable. (And my bites were small)

I came home and walked my dog in the still-miserable heat and humidity at 9 o'clock and felt fine about my evening!

sandyfanny
07-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Tonight I'm carmelizing a Vidalia onion in butter and adding thin slices of the filet mignon I cooked in brown butter earlier this week. (I bought a pkg. of two and cooked both). Asparagus steamed in the microwave with lemon and butter, a thick slice of tomato. A little elegant and very satisfying!

sandyfanny
07-25-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm going to try Jerseygirl's chicken recipe.

For veggies, I'll have some asparagus left from last night, a mixed salad with greens, cucumber, hard-boiled egg, tomato, red onion and cheddar. Bleu Cheese dressing.

sandyfanny
07-25-2010, 06:49 PM
This recipe ROCKS! I had a package of chicken breast tenderloins (big strips) and I followed your recipe exactly except I added ground garlic and black pepper to the cheese before I "breaded" the chicken. No salt needed - the parmesan cheese takes care of that.

And I used part olive oil and part sesame oil because I didn't have as much olive oil as I thought I did and didn't want to go to the store.

These fried beautifully - no problem with the crust staying on - golden brown, crunchy, deliciousness. I've been missing a "crunch" and this recipe delivers it for sure!

Thanks so much for a great recipe. I'm using leftover parmesan chicken to make a "Fried Chicken Salad" for lunch tomorrow. It's a favorite menu item in restaurants here.

LTs girl
07-26-2010, 01:22 AM
Chicken fajitas on the grill w/out the tortillas....YUMMY!

sandyfanny
07-26-2010, 09:34 AM
That sounds super yum! Thanks for posting.

sandyfanny
07-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Tonight I'm using left-over parmesan-crusted chicken breast tenders to make the "Fried Chicken Salad" I love in restaurants. Spinach, lettuce, tomato, red onion, black olives, cucumber and chicken. I'm it eating with JerseyGyrl's Crispy Cheese Crackers ...at least I hope I am. I haven't made them yet, but that's my next move.

Enjoy your dinner!

sandyfanny
07-26-2010, 06:43 PM
:Thttp://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cheezits.html (http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cheezits.html)

These are amazing...easy and delicious! My microwave time was only 60 seconds, though, instead of 65. I'll make these OFTEN. Now I have yummy crackers to go with my salad.

sandyfanny
07-27-2010, 06:50 PM
I've been cleaning house all day and don't feel like cooking...not unusal for me. I hate cooking for one! But here's my dinner:

Vidalia onion and red bell pepper sauteed in butter until the onion is carmelized...yummy!

Wafer-thin beef rib roast slices quickly sauteed in the same pan. I topped my beef slices with the onions and sweet peppers. Delicious. One pan.

I may eat a salad later, but I don't feel like making one. Lazy me...

Simona
07-28-2010, 08:12 AM
I forgot to take some food out of the freezer for dinner tonight. But Im not going to let that derail me again. I'll defrost something when I get home and maybe BBQ it. I havent had grilled meat in a while. I miss it :) We went a long stretch of having BBQ daily and we all got sick of it.

Side note: last night I was cooking my eggs for my breakfast and snacks and I tend to boil more than I need because I know my brother and his daughter will eat them. And true to form...the minute they were ready, my brother's hands were in the pot! His wife said "um..those are for your sister's lunch tomorrow". I said it was fine and that I made more than what I need. Im now having to buy 2pkgs of 18 eggs a week because now everyone's eating them!

I find it funny that they dont like the idea of low carb but they'll always eat my low carb meals.

sandyfanny
07-28-2010, 08:56 AM
We can't let anything derail us...you handled that very well. Instead of saying, "I'll just stop and pick something up," you went home and made a healthy meal. I know those "somethings" I pick up are what piled on the pounds. No more! :carrot:

sandyfanny
07-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Yesterday afternoon I had minor dental surgery, but I can't chew anything, and I have a few stitches. Lunch today was an Atkin's all-phases friendly shake (coffee mocha - yummy!).

Dinner tonight:

Cauliflower soup...I love it. Even though it's been a hot day - so hot it's storming now - I want something substantial for dinner. Cauliflower and cheese soup is what I'm craving.:dizzy:

Shells
07-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Would you mind posting your cauliflower and cheese soup recipe?? I love soup but finding one that doesn't thicken with cornstarch or flour is difficult.

Simona
07-29-2010, 09:12 PM
For dinner tonight I made my moms meatloaf. I substituted the bread crumbs with Parmesan. She used to roll up hard cooked eggs in the loaf and I did that. It was so yummy! I hadn't eaten it since before she died 4 years ago. It was nice to whip it up again. I baked mine but she would fry it and then let it simmer in her tomato sauce for an hour or two. It reminds me of a giant Scotch Egg :)

sandyfanny
07-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Cauliflower Soup

1/2 head of cauliflower, washed and cut into florets
2 T. olive oil
2 cups of chicken broth (I use reduced sodium)
1/2 - 1 c. heavy cream
grated sharp cheese (as much as you like - I use about 1/2 c.)
chopped onion (I use maybe 1/2 cup)

In a large saucepan, sautee the onion in olive oil 'til it's soft over med - low heat. *Add the cauliflower and sautee it with the onions 'til the cauliflower shows a little golden color (about 7 min.) Add the chicken broth, cover saucepan and simmer until the cauliflower is soft. Let the mixture cool off the heat and put it in a blender and puree. You may need to do this in two batches. Return the pureed mixture to the saucepan and add cream, reheating over med.- low heat. Stir in the cheese and ground black or white pepper and serve. Don't add salt until you taste it; the cheese may be enough salt. This makes 4 - 6 servings. You can refrigerate leftover soup and reheat for another meal.

*If you're in a hurry, microwave the cauliflower until it's soft. Then add it to the onion, add chicken broth and simmer about 15 min. But I think it's better to sautee it a little with the olive oil.

I also made the crispy cheese crackers to eat with my soup. Just what I needed to make me feel better.

countrycowgirl
07-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Simona, when you have a minute, could you post your meatloaf recipe? My hubby loves meatloaf, so this is something we both could have.:carrot:
Thanks
:dust:

Simona
07-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Meatloaf:

2lbs ground beef
1lb ground pork or sausage
2 eggs
1c. grated parmesan cheese
1/2 onion finely minced
1-2 jalapeno peppers finely minced [as much heat as you like]
1-2 cloves minced garlic [add as much or as little as you like]
salt/pepper to taste
4 hard cooked eggs

Mix all ingredients except hard cooked eggs.

On a piece of foil paper, lay the ground meat mixture and form into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.

Cut the hard cooked eggs in half lengthwise.

Place 2 eggs [4 halfs] in a row across the meat leaving at least 1" from the top.

Using the foil, roll the meat away from you once to cover the eggs. Where the rolled edge meets the meat [away from you] place the 2nd row of egg halfs.

Using the foil again, roll to close and seal the ends by pinching the meat together.

Cooking options:

Oven for 1hr. at 350F topped with low carb ketchup or BBQ sauce.

Fry in a shallow pan until browned on each side and then simmer in tomato sauce for 1-2 hours.

**Frying can be tricky. It can easily fall apart. I bake mine and then add it to the sauce for a quick 30 minute simmer.

sandyfanny
07-30-2010, 11:22 AM
:)

This sounds delicious. I have some ground beef in the frig I can use to make this. I'm leaving out the eggs, though. I'm not a scotch egg person. And the sausage 'cause I don't have any, and I don't want to go to the store. Bet it'll still be good, though.

sandyfanny
07-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Rats! I was all set to make the meatloaf (minus eggs and sausage), but now I realize I used all of my parmesan cheese to make the yummy parmesan-crusted chicken the other night.

And I still have stitches in my mouth and feel as if I've been punched in the face, so limited chewing...

All of this is making me cranky. I guess I'll have some of my cauliflower soup from last night - delicious, but not nearly enough protein for dinner tonight. Maybe I can chew enough to manage a burger patty if I don't overcook it?

Sugar-free jello and whipped cream for dessert, for sure!

LTs girl
07-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Chicken fajitas were so good the first time around I made them again.

Now what's for dessert?

Coffee with sugar free syrup,cream and CHEESECAKE! without the crust of course.

ghost girl
07-31-2010, 03:29 AM
I had a large salad with chicken breast.

I love the recipe for the Parm chicken sounds really good, Think
I will make that for sunday dinner.
Thanks for the recipe.

sandyfanny
07-31-2010, 07:18 AM
The parmesan-crusted chicken recipe is a good one; it's courtesy of Jerseygyrl.

Ltsgirl, which cheesecake recipe did you use? If you don't want to copy it or it's not on the internet, just give me a link. Was it good? I've made some low-carb cheesecakes that were a BIG disappointment...I'm looking for a really yummy one. Thanks!

sandyfanny
07-31-2010, 07:44 AM
http://www.bigoven.com/165982-Cheesecake-Factory-Key-Lime-Cheesecake-recipe.html

The recipe is from Suzanne Thighmaster's cookbook online at Big Oven's site. It's long, and I couldn't get it to "paste." I haven't tried it, but it sounds very good. It also must be refrigerated overnight before eating. I'm really looking for a quicker, easier recipe.

sandyfanny
07-31-2010, 07:49 AM
http://www.hsn.com/suzanne-somers-recipe-new-york-style-cheesecake_at-1097_xa.aspx?&ccm=qc

This recipe looks a little faster, a little easier maybe. I'm skipping the springform pan business and buttering a large rectangular pan and cutting it out in squares. I haven't tried it, but I'm looking for one I don't have to refrigerate overnight. I like dessert NOW!

Simona
07-31-2010, 02:28 PM
What I like for my cheesecake fix is 2tbsp of room temp cream cheese with a a bit of splenda and then add a few tablespoons of whipped cream (already whipped or sometimes I'll use Cool Whip). The whipped cream lightens it so you have a nice mouth-feel - the taste is that of cheesecake. Yummy! Had it last night as a snack:)

sandyfanny
07-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Simona, that's such a good plan. Super quick and super easy! And I won't have a whole cheesecake sitting around to tempt me. I think it would really too easy to eat too much of a good thing - I'm rethinking making a whole cheesecake.

LTs girl
07-31-2010, 11:29 PM
So I decided to post this just in case you change your mind about the whole cheescake thing. For the whole cheesecake there are 65 carbs. I cut it into 16 pieces and there are about 4 carbs per slice. So worth it.

4 8oz pkgs cream cheese (32 carbs)
1 Cup Splenda (24 carbs)
1/2 Cup sour cream (4 carbs)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 eggs (5 carbs)

Preheat ove to 475 degrees. Place a large pan or oven-safe skillet (that the cheesecake pan will fit inside) filled with about 1/2 inch of water into the oven while it preheats. This will be your water bath.

Use an electric mixer to combine the cream cheese with the splenda, sour cream, and vanilla. Blend until smooth and creamy. Whisk eggs in seperate bowl and then add them to the cream cheese mixture. Don't overblend.

Pour filling into 9 inch springform pan. wrap the bottom of the pan with foil to keep the cheesecake dry.

place the cheesecake into the water bath. Bake for 12 minutes at 475 degrees, then turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until the top is light brown or tan color.

LTs girl
07-31-2010, 11:34 PM
So I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't really. If you like cheesecake factory cheesecake then it is worth making. You can eat it warm out of the oven (Sandyfanny)lol. but it is so much better cold. I know that 1/16 of a cake doesn't sound like much, but it is just enough. you could also try cutting it into 12 slices for about 5.5 carbs per slice.

Next time I am going to try to using ez-sweetz (liquid sweetner) instead of the Splenda or maybe half and half and only 4 eggs to try to cut out some carbs. I'll let you know how it goes.

sandyfanny
08-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Thank you for the recipe. I'm so freaked out over cheesecake because it's one of the few things I can actually eat this week - the dental surgery thing. I can't chew salads, beef, or chicken. I can eat eggs, vegetables I can cook until they're soft, creamed soup, ground beef if I'm careful. I can eat cheese if it's very soft or melted. I've had lots of sugar-free jello and whipped cream. I also have some Atkins induction friendly shakes. Maybe I can eat beef filet if it's very tender beef and I cut it up into tiny bites?

I know I ate too much cheese yesterday, so I'm worried about not losing anything this week. The dental thing is going to be for about a month - my gum has to heal, the stitches have to melt, and I'm getting a bridge made. Yesterday, I just had a giant anxiety attack like "OMG, what am I going to eat?? I can't eat Atkins..." but staying on plan isn't an option. My head is right, and I have to stay with it.

My anxiety level is through the roof 'cause I know this situation isn't going to be resolved until after school starts. I'll have to take my lunch and a snack every day - what'll I take? I'm thinking maybe shakes and cottage cheese? I need to stop now; I'm feeling very anxious.

sandyfanny
08-01-2010, 01:43 PM
At JerseyGyrl's suggestion, I checked Linda's Low Carb recipe site and came across this recipe. It sounds really good, and I have all the ingredients. I'm going to make a scaled down version using about a pound of ground beef, fresh spinach and fresh mushrooms. This is dinner tonight - maybe with a cup of cauliflower soup for extra veggies.

CHEESY SPINACH BEEF BAKE
2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
4 ounce can mushrooms, drained
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste

Brown the hamburger and onion; drain the fat. Mix all of the ingredients in at least a 2-quart greased casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375º for 25-30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Makes 6-8 servings
Can be frozen Per 1/6 Recipe: 455 Calories; 31g Fat; 38g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Recipe: 342 Calories; 23g Fat; 28g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

ghost girl
08-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the above recipes, Can't wait to try the cheese cake in a couple
of months.

The cheesy spinach beef bake I'am going to try this week sounds wonderful.

Thank you guys. You make it easy to stay on track.

sandyfanny
08-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Tonight I made the spinach and beef bake for dinner. YUMMY! I scaled the recipe down for me and used about a pound of ground beef, 1 egg, 5 oz. cheddar cheese, about 2 cups raw of fresh spinach, 1 c. fresh mushrooms, 1/2 c. chopped onion, and a clove of garlic.

I sauteed the mushrooms first in butter, removed them from the pan; browned the beef and cooked the onion together. Removed them with a slotted spoon and sauteed the spinach and chopped garlic together. All in the same pan - yes! Then I followed the recipe, combined everything and popped it in the oven. About 20 minutes later, I had a delicious dinner.

I have plenty left over for lunch tomorrow. Very satifying and tasty. Thank you, Linda Low Carb.

sandyfanny
08-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Tonight I'm having filet mignon grilled in browned butter with sauteed yellow onion, green onion, yellow squash, and red sweet peppers. Colorful and yummy! (I'll be cutting that filet into teeny little bites so I can chew it)

My butcher is so good about putting expensive cuts of meat on sale a couple of days before their "Sell by" date. Not a problem for me; I scoop 'em up and eat 'em up!:moo:

ghost girl
08-02-2010, 05:34 PM
now thats sounds very good.

sandyfanny
08-02-2010, 05:46 PM
I get really enthusiastic about dinner! This is one of my favorites - and it's quick and accomplished in one sautee pan. I'm not enthusiastic about having lots to clean up in the kitchen...

sandyfanny
08-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Long day today - a workshop that lasted all day and was BORING! Sittng still for hours makes me more tired than teaching...So it's super-easy dinner tonight.

I'm using the sauteed onions, squash and red peppers left from last night to layer with cooked chicken breast strips, a little mayonnaise, and top with grated cheese. In the oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes til it's nice and hot...and dinner's done!

sandyfanny
08-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Another long day - a very dear friend was suddenly hospitalized seriously ill. I've been at the hospital during the day yesterday and today. No time to shop or cook.

Last night, I had one of filet mignons (I cooked both in the pack at the same time) reheated with sauteed onions and half of a really great fresh tomato. Atkins Ice Cream for dessert. Excellent!

Today, it's pre-cooked grilled chicken breast strips I've turned into chicken salad with celery, scallions, mayo. I'm eating it with cheese crisps from Linda's Low Carb recipes and the other half of that tomato. Atkins ice cream for dessert.

Quick, easy, a no -cook dinner for sure. I'm exhausted.

ghost girl
08-06-2010, 02:50 AM
Hello i just wanted to say thanks for the parm chicken recipe, my husband and I both love it , he asked for it a second day in a row. And he is doing Atkins
with me ( he only needs to lose 20 pounds ) unlike my 60 maybe more.

sandyfanny
08-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Tonight I'm trying something new. I having chicken sausage with garlic and feta. I'll sautee some spinach in garlic and olive oil to go with it and have a couple of slices of juicy fresh tomato. I hope I like chicken sausage!

sandyfanny
08-07-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm having Heroin Wings; I love them. It's a favorite with non-Atkins friends too. Why "heroin"? Because they're addictive, of course!

I'm also having a big salad with tomato, cucumber, green onion, mixed greens with spinach. Yummy dinner!

sandyfanny
08-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Heroin Wings and a salad...just like last night. I like this menu so much I'm fine with eating it two nights in a row. And I don't have to cook again!

sandyfanny
08-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Asparagus sauteed in garlic and olive oil, sliced tomato, and the last of the Heroin Wings...another really long day. Dental appointment, vet appointment, to the hospital to visit my friend, grocery store and return an ugly dress! Minimal cooking required. :dizzy:

ghost girl
08-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Parmesan Chicken and a nice colorful salad.

Hey Sandyfanny how do you make Herion wings?

Crush
08-10-2010, 06:06 PM
I am having grilled chicken with bbq sprinkle seasoning, salsa and a bit of cheese. And brocolli! yummy.

Shells
08-10-2010, 07:19 PM
I am going to bbq a couple of burgers and a salmon fillet that I have .... and it will be lunch tomorrow

sandyfanny
08-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Everyone, dinner sounds great! I think we're doing a good job with our menus. Yay, us!!

Here's the recipe for Heroin Wings. I buy 3 pounds of drummettes; if you're buying whole wings, buy 4 pounds because you won't use the "tips." Also, the cheap finely grated parmesan cheese in the can or bottle works fine with this recipe. You can also use the already shredded parmesan in the deli section. Don't bother using expensive cheese and shredding it yourself.

Enjoy!

3 lb chicken wings
1/2 cup butter
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
garlic powder or dried ground garlic to taste

First, preheat the oven to 350°F. Cut the wings up into "drummettes". (Freeze the pointy "tips" for soup -- they make great broth!) Then combine the grated cheese and the seasonings. Line a shallow baking pan with foil. (Do not omit this step, or you'll still be scrubbing the pan come New Year's Day!) Melt the butter in a shallow bowl or pan.

Dip each "drummette" in butter, roll in the seasoned cheese, and arrange in the foil lined pan. Bake for 1 hour at 350°F. Kick yourself that you didn't make a double recipe!!

Description: "Once you try these, you'll understand the name -- utterly, totally addictive! You'll impress the heck out of your friends -- and wish you'd made more! They're great leftover, too." Source: ""500 Low-Carb Recipes: 500 Recipes, from Snacks to Dessert, That the Whole Family Will Love" by Dana W. Carpender"

Deena52
08-10-2010, 09:56 PM
OMG, Sandy....you're going through almost the exact same dental/chewing dilemma that I am. It's nice to know someone else is having to deal with this along with me.

Man, teeth really matter when it comes to eating healthy, don't they? I also was freaking about difficulty with Atkins....I feel so safe on Atkins....I'm adrift at sea without it.
So I made a low-carb meatloaf with ground turkey and also had some steamed brussel sprouts with butter....and was able to eat without much difficulty. My gum is healed but I need to get the permanent liner in the plate because without it, it's a bit too loose and difficult to chew with. But at least it's not painful to eat any longer.

Well....I'm HOPING that this permanent liner fixes this....otherwise, I'm going to have to be on some sort of "dental soft Atkins maintenance" which I will have to figure out/improvise....if it comes to that. Luckily, I love meatloaf....esp. mixed with cottage cheese. Probably sounds gross but I love it. I can also eat soft fish....and soft, steamed veggies. Not sure if I'll ever be able to eat raw veggies again.

I'm just amazed at how lost/unsafe I felt because chewing was difficult due to dental surgery. It wasn't even logical, really....because I've lost a few pounds past goal....but I just didn't feel right eating that stuff...esp. anything with any sort of sugar in it. It wasn't that I was worried about gaining...it was that it felt unhealthy. I feel much safer today.

deena:)

LTs girl
08-10-2010, 10:50 PM
chicken and broccoli alfredo (w/o noodles - you don't even miss them)

cook chicken and broccoli.

Sauce
saute garlic in butter
1 cup of heavy cream
1/2 cup of parm cheese
salt and pepper to taste

put in pan over low heat until parm cheese is melted. pour over chicken and broccoli.

I also added mushrooms this time. Delicious!

Shells
08-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Oh that brocolli and chicken alfredo sounds good .... will be trying that one soon

ghost girl
08-11-2010, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the recipes ladies.

sandyfanny
08-11-2010, 10:13 AM
You, LTs girl, are a genius! I LOVE anything alfredo...of course I do...how would I have otherwise gained 80 pounds! But, you're a genius...putting that incredible, heavenly sauce on broccoli and chicken!

I can't believe I've never thought of it...my favorite is shrimp alfredo, so I'll put my alfredo sauce on the broccoli and top it with shrimp sauteed in garlic and butter. Oh yeah! Thanks so much for the recipe.

Yes, Deena, the teeth thing is no fun. And I really felt panicky when I realized I couldn't chew for a couple of weeks, but I'm almost back to normal...except I lack those back teeth for chewing. I'm having a bridge made to take care of that, but for right now, I'm eating soft except for ground beef and chicken in small bites. I should get the bridge in a ten days; then I'll have to get used to it, etc...

It is weird how Atkins makes us feel safe. I know that I'm safe from binges when I'm on Atkins; I don't feel the need to, thank God. Good luck! :carrot:

Crush
08-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Dinner tonight will be tri tip roast. Going to put it in the crock pot soon! What vegetables do you guys cook with roast? I used to always put potatos and carrots. Not anymore tho!

sandyfanny
08-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Vegetables with roast? I don't know...what about leeks, celery and Vidalia onions? I don't cook roasts often; I live alone and don't have a crock pot, but I'm sure I will once it gets cold and I'm in school and need things I can cook and eat for two or three days.

It's super hot and humid on the NC coast today; we've tied the record temperature for today. Nice! I'm walking my dog every day but not until about 8:30 p.m. - too hot for both of us.

Dinner tonight is cool and easy: chicken salad (pre-cooked chicken breast strips, mayo, scallions, celery, freshly ground pepper. Mixed greens with tomato and red onion; cheese crisps for crunch.

sandyfanny
08-11-2010, 06:27 PM
My sweet tooth is roaring...I'm making my version of Hungry Girl Cheesecake tonight too.

Hungry Atkins Girl Cheesecake for Two:

4 T. cream cheese softened
1/2 c. ricotta cheese
1 T. sugar free, fat free vanilla pudding mix *
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1-3 packets Splenda (to taste)
1-3 T. heavy cream

Mix all ingredients well. Refrigerate and chill. I'm thinking of adding a sprinkling of cinnamon too.

NOTE: I just made this; I used 2 packets of Splenda and 2 T. heavy cream. I used a little handmixer tonight; I've done it by hand, but the results are better with a mixer.

*This ingredient appears in the Atkins' New Diet Cookbook, 1994, in the recipe for ice cream as "induction friendly," so I'm using it.

ghost girl
08-11-2010, 06:39 PM
sounds so good and it's "induction friendly" thats a keeper,
You know it's hard to go off track with yummy recipes like this.
Thanks so much.

JerseyGyrl
08-11-2010, 07:15 PM
sounds so good and it's "induction friendly" thats a keeper,

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but, ricotta cheese is not Induction friendly. Also, sugar-free vanilla pudding mix is 24 carbs for a 4-serving box that contains approximately 4 1/2 tablespoons of dry mix. The carbs come from the cornstarch & the maltodextrin in the mix.

sandyfanny
08-11-2010, 08:22 PM
I should've made a note that it's not for induction since it does contain ricotta cheese.

My reference to induction only refers to a recipe ingredient. Since the ingredient sugar-free, fat-free vanilla pudding mix is included in the Atkin's 1994 cookbook recipe for ice cream, which may be used during induction according to the book, I thought I was safe to use it in the cheesecake recipe. * Additionally, the amount of pudding mix in the ice cream recipe is identical to the amount used in the cheesecake recipe.

The back of the pudding package reads: "as packaged ...Total Carbohydrates...6g., Dietary Fiber...0g., Sugars...0g." In this recipe, the pudding mix is used as packaged, not prepared. Serving size is "1/4 package (8g.)". I'm thinking 1/4 of nothing is still nothing.

I appreciate your looking out for us, JerseyGyrl, but I don't understand the difference in the back of my box and the back of yours.??? I do think using Splenda may be slowing my weight loss, but I haven't decided to stop using it in food. I've given up diet sodas and flavored water, Crystal Light; maybe I can give it up altogether before long. I also think Splenda may be responsible for lingering sugar cravings.

With all this information, I'm having cheesecake for dessert.

*PLEASE NOTE: I didn't switch to Italics for emphasis or to be snarky; I accidentially hit the "I" and can't get it to change back!

JerseyGyrl
08-11-2010, 08:43 PM
The back of the pudding package reads: "as packaged ...Total Carbohydrates...6g., Dietary Fiber...0g., Sugars...0g." In this recipe, the pudding mix is used as packaged, not prepared. Serving size is "1/4 package (8g.)". I'm thinking 1/4 of nothing is still nothing.

Hi Sandyfanny,

Jell-O brand sugar free, fat free instant pudding as packaged (not prepared) 1/4 pkg (8 g.) contains 6 grams Carbohydrates, 0 grams Sugar & 0 grams Dietary Fiber. The entire box (not prepared) is 24 carbs.

Personally, I'd omit the pudding mix and add DaVinci's Vanilla or Hazelnut sugar free syrup instead:) But, for those not doing Induction, the recipe as is would be fine.

sandyfanny
08-11-2010, 09:11 PM
JerseyGyrl, my students' parents are so glad I teach English, not MATH! Got it!

Your idea of substituting for the pudding mix is excellent and sounds yummy. I don't see that the mix adds anything except carbs since the mixture is thick enough, and then it's chilled and thickens further. Maybe add a little extra vanilla if it's a taste issue since the mix is vanilla flavored.

Thanks so much for reading our posts and helping us! :dizzy:

LTs girl
08-11-2010, 11:05 PM
*PLEASE NOTE: I didn't switch to Italics for emphasis or to be snarky; I accidentially hit the "I" and can't get it to change back![/I]

ROFL! Sounds like something I would do.

and I love alfredo too. Had to come up with something. If we give up everything we love, we would never stick with it. (at least that's my theory)

JerseyGyrl: Could you check out the cheesecake recipe I posted on page 4 and check my math. You are so good at keeping us in check. Much appreciated.

ghost girl
08-12-2010, 02:42 AM
Jerseygyrl thanks for looking out for us.

It is a good recipe to ave on hand, and i like the idea of swapping the pudding out good tip.

PudgyGurl
08-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Breaded pork chops, and steamed broccoli with shredded cheddar cheese.

Thin cut boneless pork chops dipped in egg (I use egg beaters) then dipped into crumbled pork rinds, placed on a greased (I use Pam) cookie sheet, bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 28 mins. Steam broccoli, sprinkle cheddar cheese, and a little salt and pepper.

sandyfanny
08-12-2010, 11:03 AM
This sounds delicious. I haven't cooked any pork, and I'm ready for some. Thanks for the recipe!

sandyfanny
08-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Tonight a friend is cooking for us. She's very supportive of my efforts (she might weigh 125 soaking wet) and called to check the menu with me. She was thinking of making chicken marsala; I said "No problem, but I can't eat anything floured or breaded." She offered to make it without flouring it, but I told her the sauce wouldn't thicken, and she might hate it. My friend is a big "sauce" person.

So she decided to grill us filet mignons instead, make a spinach salad and I'm bringing asparagus to grill in olive oil and garlic. She's adding a baked potato. I'm taking my own salad dressing just to be safe.

It's great to have such a good friend. I'll be off-line this weekend; I'm going to beautiful (and hot!) Charleston, SC to visit family. I've told them I'm off sugar, flour, rice, potatoes, etc...but I'm sure the weekend will bring some challenges.

My plan: I'm taking some food with me! Pre-cooked chicken breast, cheese, a couple of Atkins shakes.

I'm not about to mess up my FOUR pound loss this week. So, have a great weekend, everyone. :hug:

ghost girl
08-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Sandy Fanny Enjoy your trip, good idea to take some food and snacks with you and a big congrats on your four pound loss.

sandyfanny
08-12-2010, 05:22 PM
I wish I knew what I did right last week. I know I drank more water and tried really hard to stay on plan. :)

Shells
08-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Bbq'd salmon, steamed green beans and a handfull of black berries to finish it off.

PudgyGurl
08-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Meatloaf, and roasted cauliflower

I make my meat loaf with 1.5 lbs of ground chuck, 1.5 lbs ground turkey, 1 egg, 1/4 cup chopped green pepper, 2 tbsp chopped onion, and 1/4 cup crumbled pork rinds. Form four 3/4 lb mini loafs, bake in the oven at 375 degrees, for about 40 mins. Roasted cauliflower, put florets in a bowl, lightly add olive oil until they are coated, sprinkle in parmesan cheese, place in a oven safe pan, bake in the oven at 375 degrees for about 15 mins or until lightly browned (checking them every 5 mins to turn them).

Deena52
08-13-2010, 11:53 AM
:( OK, that was a massive failure.....127.7 this morning...I'm just not getting the calories in trying to low-carb with this chewing problem. But I go to the dentist on the 19th (so 6 days) to get the permanent liner for the plate and hoping that will fix things. One thing I really hate about eating carbs (not low-carbing) is the intense hunger pangs you get. If I wasn't having so much trouble chewing, I'd probably be binging....or at least eating way too many calories......especially the pangs you get at bedtime when you absolutely cannot fall asleep until you eat something (usually sweet. :(
I also don't like to eat empty calories....which is very tough to do unless you're low carbing (IMO).....well, that's going by MY assessment of healthy calories....where fat is good....and sugar is horrible.

You know, here's what I can't figure out. Whenever I would try to diet by calorie-counting (essentially eating less calories), I would never lose weight. It was always an epic failure......why I love Atkins so much...it WORKS for me.
SO....why am I now losing more weight while eating less calories (and eating carbs)?? It makes me think back and try to figure out what's different. I think it's a fluke, actually....due to doing something different after doing Atkins for almost a year......and that if I continued this way, I would start gaining it all back.:( I think it's temporarily gotten my metabolism working....but this would turn on me......why I HAVE to remedy this chewing problem....or else figure out a "dental-soft" Atkins. I should make a list to see how many OK foods I could get on it.....to see if it's doable. I'm worried that if I have no variety, I'll start having problems...so need to make a list and look it over.

It makes me wonder, though, just how many calories I was actually eating when I tried to count calories. For one thing, I can't just take a taste of something.....or pop some little thing into my mouth. Suddenly, I will realize I can't chew it and have to spit it out. Maybe I was "popping in" too many things and not counting the calories of them. Really makes me stop and think about the mindless things we do that can really affect a weight-loss plan.

Sorry about going on like this....but I am very upset about it. I just never realized that the chewing would be so affected. I just assumed, I guess, that as soon as it healed up, I'd be chewing fine.
In fact, I should be writing this on my own thread....where I can perseverate endlessly......as I'm prone to do....and not just drone on here on sandyfanny's thread. I'm gonna go and dredge mine up. :o

deena :)

sandyfanny
08-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Great weekend in Charleston...and I did really well in the face of some serious carbs! We ate at the Boat House on Isle of Palms Saturday night...broiled seafood platter, sauteed zucchini and squash, collards. Really good dinner; I passed on the before-dinner drink and had water with lots of lemon.

I had big salads for lunch Friday and Saturday with grilled chicken breast ( I brought my own chicken and ham) and had another big salad Saturday night with deli ham and chicken. Breakfast wasn't a problem since I had brought my own ham and my daughter makes wonderful scrambled eggs with lots of veggies. I indulged in one glass of Prosecco Saturday night after dinner...and I'm not sorry, at least, not yet.

Back home tonight. I steamed some tiny asparagus in the microwave for 5 min. I layered on some chicken salad I'd made with the last of the traveling chicken, mayo, scallions, and pimentos and topped the whole business with lots of shredded cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 degrees about 30 min. til the cassarole is hot through and cheese is bubbling. Delicious and easy! A great welcome home dinner for myself.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Shells
08-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Going to saute some fresh prawns in garlic butter .... it is over 100 degrees here, which is highly unusual so I don't have much of an appetite

ghost girl
08-16-2010, 03:20 AM
Sandy so glad you had a great trip and stayed on plan.

sandyfanny
08-16-2010, 05:54 PM
I feel you; it's 100 or so here today with the heat index. Too hot to cook much.

Tonight I'm taking part of the rotisserie chicken I bought today and re-heating it with Scott's Barbecue Sauce - No carbs, friends!

And I'm having a salad - mixed greens, cucumber, red onion with ranch dressing. I'm microwaving a steamer thingey of baby veggies, but I'll pick out the carrots and give them to my German Shepherd, Puddin'. She loves veggies.

I bought these frozen veggies before I started Atkins, and they're taking up space in my small freezer. I guess I should rinse them off too after I cook them - those 7 net grams of carbs per serving come from somewhere. (the carrots and the fake butter sauce probably) I'll rinse them and put real butter on them instead. And that's it for tonight!

Shells
08-16-2010, 06:22 PM
grilling burgers and steaming spinach to add on top with some blue cheese sauce

sandyfanny
08-16-2010, 06:51 PM
That sounds delicious...another great burger idea!

ghost girl
08-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Chicken and greenbeans again ladies.

Sandy I also have a German Shepherd, he is like one of our kids.

sandyfanny
08-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Nothing wrong with chicken and green beans!

I love my German Shepherd. Puddin' is 6 years old and although she's the typical very smart, serious about her "job," loyal GS, Puddin' is such a clown! She makes me laugh all the time.

If you're reading this post and thinking of a dog for you and your family, please consider adoption. There are German Shepherd Rescue organizations near you with AMAZING pets who need loving forever homes. And consider adopting an adult...no annoying puppy obnoxiousness. (I volunteer with Noble Shepherd Rescue) www.nobleshepherdrescue.com (http://www.nobleshepherdrescue.com):angel:

Shells
08-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Tonight will be a basic chili ..... used to eat a lot of beans and have not had any for a long time ... they are my next addition on the ladder so I am hoping that it goes well and I continue with weight loss. I have missed using beans in many dishes.

I have two wonderful dogs, a Great Dane who I adore and an English Springer Spaniel who is also adorable but oh she knows how to get to me!!

sandyfanny
08-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Shells, you're doing so well. Congratulations! You're below 200 and working the ladder! My mini-goal right now is 210, next is 200. I love chili too; maybe by the time it's really cold chili weather in the South, I'll be ready to cook and eat some beans! :carrot:

sandyfanny
08-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Tonight I'm stir -frying some Angus beef stir-fry strips and baby asparagus in olive oil with onion. I wish I had a soy sauce that is induction friendly, but I don't. I'm going to add a dash of red pepper flakes for a little zing.

And I'll have a salad - mixed greens, cucumbers, scallions, parmesan cheese with ranch dressing.

Shells
08-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Its over 90 degrees here but I was craving chili ..... it was far to hot to heat up the kitchen !!

sandyfanny
08-17-2010, 07:49 PM
I know what you mean, Shells. I bought a big roast yesterday; I really want pot roast, but didn't want to cook it 'cause it's so hot. I'm making the asparagus/beef stir-fry instead. But I know I'm going to cook that roast tomorrow...I want some!

I checked my soy sauce...zero carbs, but lots of sodium....so I'm using it and drinking my water!

Enjoy your chili! Think cool.:cool:

ghost girl
08-18-2010, 02:57 AM
Congrats Shells.

Sandy What a great link.

Thanks.

BananaMarie
08-18-2010, 03:15 AM
Beer brats and asparagus! I'm looking forward to the asparagus, totally my favorite veggie.

sandyfanny
08-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Thank you, Ghost Girl, I'm hoping more members will post their dinner menus to give us all more ideas about "What's for Dinner?"

Me too, BananaMarie, I love asparagus; I hate that it's so $$, though.

SilverLife
08-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Yesterday's dinner was chicken breast, sliced thin, fried in butter, with bacon and melted cheese on top. Mmmmm.

sandyfanny
08-18-2010, 08:22 AM
That sounds easy and super-delicious...some of my favorite words: "fried," "butter," "bacon"...Oh yeah!

Thanks for posting.

sandyfanny
08-18-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm starting a boneless chuck roast this morning while it's not 100 degrees to cook while I clean my porch and wait on the bug man. It's been so long since I've made one, I needed a recipe:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2159336_perfect-chuck-roast.html

Skip the flour dredging business. My vegetable will be onions! No carrots and no taters, of course.

I'll probably eat this with a green salad - cucumbers, red onion, a sprinkle of parmesan, real bacon bits.

SilverLife
08-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Sandyfanny, thanks for the happy chuckle. I needed that.

Lunch today: bacon with cabbage and a bit of sweet onion, yep, fried in bacon fat and beef fat. Mmmmm.

Supper: 1 T. blueberries and 1 c. half and half.

I've been thinking of doing a chuck roast in the crockpot. Onions sound great.

I have my main meal in the middle of the day. :)

sandyfanny
08-18-2010, 07:37 PM
My dinner rocked! The roast is really good. I browned it in olive oil and seasoned it with coarse salt, ground peppercorns, 2 large garlic cloves chopped coarsely, and lots of Greek Seasoning.

I put whole, trimmed green onions underneath it in the pan instead of the carrots. I used my oven, roasting it slowly, covered with aluminum foil.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2159336_perfect-chuck-roast.html

I made a salad and yummied up!:moo:

SilverLife
08-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Sandyfanny, your roast sounds scrumptious!

I'll bet it was a bit hit!

sandyfanny
08-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Teachers had to go back today, no kids until the 25th, but it was still a long day!

Dinner tonight: pot roast from last night and pan-grilled asparagus in olive oil and garlic, sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Really easy and really good.

Asparagus is my new favorite vegetable. It's expensive, but since I'm only cooking for me, a bunch lasts me about four meals, and it's super fast and good for me and delicious!:spin:

SilverLife
08-19-2010, 09:25 PM
How nice to have pot roast already cooked. Fresh asparagus is grand.

Dinner today was scrambled eggs with pimientos, and a splash of half and half, cooked in beef fat, sprinkled with black pepper. And half-and-half yoghurt with 1 T. of fresh blueberries. I so like my homemade yoghurt.

ghost girl
08-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Dinner: parmesan chicken with green beans and a salad.

SilverLife
08-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Dinner today:

Eggs with black olives and cheddar cheese, and okra on the side.

sandyfanny
08-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks for posting, everyone...Silverlife, how do you make your homemade yogurt? I miss yogurt a lot.

Haven't figured out dinner yet...I have some chicken salad and some pot roast. I think I'll have chicken salad and make myself some of the delicious cheese crisps from Linda's Low Carb site. I can sautee the last of my asparagus tonight too.

SilverLife
08-20-2010, 07:46 PM
I use half and half. I try to buy the kind without carageenan. I save a bit of yoghurt from the last batch. I have a Salton yoghurt maker with the Pyrex-like cups. I put a scant tablespoon of yoghurt in each cup and then mix in the boiled half and half after it has cooled enough. I leave it to ferment for about 12-20 hours, as the longer it ferments the less lactose it has, up to a point. I don't know when that process stops. It makes a very thick, dense, scrumptious yoghurt. I am planning to try half heavy cream and half 1/2 & 1/2 soon. I have heard that using heavy cream makes a thin yoghurt. I'm going to experiment.

Are you eating at Induction-level, or have an digestive intolerance that you are not eating yoghurt? I make sure I don't eat more than one of the six-ounce cups per day. If I want to drink a bit of half and half or heavy cream, I have to cut down on the yoghurt. Mmmm, it is so much nicer than using milk. I used to miss drinking milk, but having this yoghurt is a nice replacement.

I'm also planning to make a mixture of mascarpone and whipped heavy cream, just for something delicious to have with my daily tablespoon of blueberries. Wish the raspberries weren't so expensive.

Linda has some amazing things at that site. It was very generous of her to make that site.

Hope your dinner turned out well. :)

sandyfanny
08-21-2010, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the yogurt recipe. I'm not ready for that yet; I have a long way to go before I'm ready to be off induction, but it's good to know yogurt can be in my future. ;)

sandyfanny
08-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Tonight it's eggs and sausage for dinner. I transported two adorable German Shepherd puppies to a safe, loving foster home until we can find them perfect forever homes. (I volunteer with Noble Shepherd Rescue.) It meant a four and a half hour drive round-trip, but it makes me so happy.

I was so excited about the puppies I didn't stop to eat...when I got home this afternoon at 4:00, I had some chicken salad and made little cheese crackers to eat with it. Then I read and took a big nap.

I took my own German Shepherd Puddin' for a nice walk about 8:00 and now I'm about to eat my dinner...at 9:45 so breakfast feels good.

:angel: Be an Angel: Foster, Adopt, Donate...one German Shepherd at a time: www.nobleshepherdrescue.com (http://www.nobleshepherdrescue.com)

ghost girl
08-22-2010, 01:10 AM
Awe You are a special person Sandy Fanny, thanks for all you do.

SilverLife
08-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Dinner today: bacon with a smidgen of onions and fried cabbage.

sandyfanny
08-22-2010, 05:01 PM
and I always forget about it. Glad you reminded me. It's going on my shopping list today.

Dinner tonight:

Steak pan-grilled in brown butter, mixed green salad, cucumber, black olives, red onion. Bleu cheese dressing. Yummy!

frazzeled
08-22-2010, 06:36 PM
We had pork tenderloin just into chunks grilled with onions and peppers with a bit of feta . ( i missed my sweet chili sauce though but was good )

Shells
08-22-2010, 07:07 PM
BBQ pork chops and salad with blue cheese dressing.

Trying to figure out what to make for company on Wednesday. I think bbq chicken, salad and (for them) spiced rice and a blue berry cobbler with ice cream. (I will have blue berries and whipped cream)

sandyfanny
08-22-2010, 07:30 PM
These are excellent menus, Frazzeled and Shells! I haven't cooked a pork tenderloin since I've been on Atkins...it's easy to get stuck in an eating rut. This week I'm going to cook one and have cabbage with it. Maybe even sauteed with onion and bacon AND Atkins' coleslaw!

Shells, that's a great company dinner menu. Everyone will love it, and you'll stay on plan. (But, Lord, I love a cobbler!...Get Thee Behind Me, Satan!) :devil:

walking2lose
08-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Alright! I confess! I eat the skin too. I love it. lol!

I thought to do Atkins properly, you were supposed to eat the skin. I am new to low carb eating, but I got inspired when I read Primal Blueprint - it's similar in lots of ways to Atkins, but eating the skin (and lots of fat) is a big part of why it works. Anyone have more info on this?

walking2lose
08-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Hamburger cooked in bacon fat atop a salad of romaine, half an avocado, garden tomato, and dressed with sesame tahini/tamari dressing. It was good!

I'm starting two weeks of induction today... never done the VLC before, so wish me luck. I will be coming here for ideas, so keep 'em coming!

ghost girl
08-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Yummy dinner idea's.

sandyfanny
08-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Today was horrendous...my last day of preparation before my students come on Wednesday. It was so exhausting I'm taking the optional teacher work day; this teacher ain't working.

We had to work from noon until 8 - orientation for ninth-graders. Okay. I ate brunch before I left for school at 11:00. Ate a slice of American cheese about 2 and drank 30 oz. water between 12:00 and 4:30.

Then dinner at Chili's with teacher buddies. I ordered the cheeseburger with sauteed mushrooms and jack cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion. Ditched the bun, gave the fries away. Drank another 20 oz. of water with lemon.

My big treat: 1/3 cup of Atkins' recipe ice cream when I got home at 8:45. Woo-hoo! I'm glad I made it last night; it was just what I wanted when I got home. It made watching teacher buddies eat Chili's Carb / Sugar / White Flour atomic bombs no problem. I feel very superior! :lol:

Shells
08-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Good for you for staying on plan. I fall back at the hospital cafeteria is always a burger (no bun) with bacon and onions, a slice of cheese and mushrooms if available. Good and filling

Tonight it is grilled pork chops and greenbeans

Shells
08-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Greenbeans ..... steamed, sprinkled with olive oil, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese (or other flavourful cheese)

sandyfanny
08-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Shells, you're so clever! I do that with asparagus, but I like green beans...I'm going to try them your way. I bet I could take them to school and eat them cold at lunch - that'd be a big plus. Thanks for posting.

SilverLife
08-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Serious meal today: bacon and cube steak, side of high fat yoghurt

Less hefty meal: bacon and cabbage soup in beef broth

Dessert: 1 T. blueberries and 1/2 c. half and half

sandyfanny
08-24-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm very excited about my dinner tonight:

Pork tenderloin marinated in Scott's barbecue sauce and fresh garlic

Red Cabbage Cole Slaw (Atkin's for Life):

1 head of red cabbage, cored and sliced thinly
Whisk together 3/4 c. mayonnaise, 1/2 c. sour cream, 1 tsp. celery seed, 2 T. cider vinegar, 2 pkgs. Splenda, 1 tsp. salt (if desired). In a large bowl, combine the cabbage and the dressing. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 min. to blend flavors.

This makes A LOT of cole slaw, but it's really yummy. I'll take some to school this week to go with my lunches.

frazzeled
08-24-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm very excited about my dinner tonight:

Pork tenderloin marinated in Scott's barbecue sauce and fresh garlic

Red Cabbage Cole Slaw (Atkin's for Life):

1 head of red cabbage, cored and sliced thinly
Whisk together 3/4 c. mayonnaise, 1/2 c. sour cream, 1 tsp. celery seed, 2 T. cider vinegar, 2 pkgs. Splenda, 1 tsp. salt (if desired). In a large bowl, combine the cabbage and the dressing. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 min. to blend flavors.

This makes A LOT of cole slaw, but it's really yummy. I'll take some to school this week to go with my lunches.

Sounds lovely. Will need to try this.

sandyfanny
08-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Not at all ambitious about dinner tonight...I have 3 or 4 thin slices of pastrami I'm going to top with crisp bacon strips and Monterey Jack cheese...more sodium than I need, but I want something really tasty and really salty! This should be just the thing.

And I'm exhausted. Going back to school and dealing with teenagers all day is very tiring...even when you really like them and missed them over the summer. :dizzy:

fatmad
08-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Saurkraut, with corned beef shredded on it, covered with swiss cheese.
a reuben melt without the bread.
yum

cher37
08-26-2010, 11:34 PM
- oven fried chicken wings with ranch sour cream
- greek salad w. cucumbers, green peppers, black olives, balsamic vinagrette, feta cheese & oregano

Shells
08-27-2010, 12:43 AM
Lazy supper ..... sliced zucchini, cucumbers and tomatoes with blue cheese dip.

Deena52
08-27-2010, 03:25 AM
YO Sandy!!....I came over to visit and check on you! I will hopefully get and post wedding photos for you soon after the wedding. Hope school is going well.

And Cher....I remember you! Glad you're back here. I reached goal and even went past it (mainly due to dental surgery.
deena :hug:

cher37
08-27-2010, 09:56 AM
YO Sandy!!.... I reached goal and even went past it (mainly due to dental surgery.
deena :hug:

Yay! :broc: but sorry 'bout the dental surgery :wave:

sandyfanny
08-27-2010, 08:39 PM
My best teacher buddies and I met after school at a favorite crab shack on the water...excellent! I ordered a grilled scallop sandwich - no bun and had water with lots of lemon and two fried oysters.

I LOVE fried oysters, so I deliberately ordered the scallops and two fried oysters (for which they charged me $1.00 - no problem). I really wanted about a dozen, but decided to take a smarter path and eat scallops and limit my treat to two. And they were AWESOME.

About 8:30, I got hungry again and ate 2 pieces of chicken barbecued in Scott's sauce. Yummy.

walking2lose
08-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Saurkraut, with corned beef shredded on it, covered with swiss cheese.
a reuben melt without the bread.
yum

OMG... that sounds great. So, sauerkraut is low carb??

sandyfanny
08-28-2010, 08:49 AM
That sounds delicious. I love a reuben...what's not to love, but I don't like the kraut. I could make this and substitute red cabbage cole slaw for it. My kind of dinner - quick, easy, no cook, on plan. :p

ghost girl
08-28-2010, 06:03 PM
You ladies always give me great dinner ideas, Thanks alot!

sarahinparis
08-30-2010, 04:44 AM
Nice thread!

Tonight will be roasted chicken with zuchinni (etouffé if I can find a good recipe). Maybe some tzasiki salad too (if I don't have that at lunch). Dessert of strawberries and cream.

Shells
08-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Last night was a big salad with fresh lettuce, zucchini, bell pepper, avocado, tomatoe, olives and a light dill dressing ....

Shells
08-30-2010, 04:23 PM
lunch is a stirfry

sandyfanny
08-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Dinner tonight is steak pan-fried with fresh garlic, asparagus sauteed in olive oil and my neighbor's fresh sliced tomatoes! YUM!

Thanks for the great menu ideas, everyone.

cher37
08-31-2010, 10:59 AM
a huge honkin' plate of lettuce salad with chicken breast strips, bacon, sauteed onion, and ranch dressing

SF/FF jelly for dessert

sandyfanny
08-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Easy and delicious! I never thought of putting sauteed onions on my salads...good idea.

Tonight, I'm finishing up the pan-fried steak and having sliced tomato, sauteed red peppers and onions. Maybe top the veggies with a dollop of sour cream.

I'm glad dinner's easy. My kitchen's wrecked. I made 6 cups of coffee this morning, pre-set to be ready at when I get up. OOOPS...the coffee pot was in the dishwasher. I woke up to coffee EVERYWHERE...no time to clean it all up - 2 kitchen drawers with silverware and cooking utensils full of coffee. Noooooo!!! I have to finish cleaning up tonight.

I was so freaked out I couldn't make my lunch. I packed an instant breakfast, slices of ham and sf-ff jello for lunch. Weird.:coffee2:

sandyfanny
09-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Chicken Salad tonight and Cheese Crisps:

Rotisserie chicken, mayonnaise, sour cream, green onions. Two or three of Linda's Low Carb cheese crisps give you that "crackers" crunch and a sliced fresh tomato. :dizzy:

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/cheese_crisp.html

sandyfanny
09-04-2010, 05:16 AM
Friday night: EXHAUSTED from my first full week of school with students. YIKES!

Hamburger patty, pan grilled with sauteed onions and red peppers, topped with a little mayonnaise, jack cheese, and red onion. (Pretend cheeseburger)

I made a yummy snack to take to school this week. Ham salad scooped with pork rinds. Slices of deli ham chopped very fine in the food processor and mixed with mayonnaise and grainy mustard. It made a very satisfying, quick take-along lunch.

I also used some as an after-school snack. Sometimes I come in starving and want a quick bite. This did the trick.

Shells
09-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Any idea what to do with a package of pork cutlets that I have thawing??

sandyfanny
09-04-2010, 01:48 PM
How about marinating them in soy sauce or teriyaki sauce and some fresh chopped garlic and grilling them outside?

Or treat them as if they're chicken and make "pork marsala"? (Just skip the flour) The wine will cook off, no worries.

Maybe check Linda's Low Carb site for ideas too.

sandyfanny
09-04-2010, 06:43 PM
This is what I think I'm making for dinner. The recipe is adapted from Paula Deen's recipe for Cheeseburger Meatloaf. I think I'll have broccoli or a spinach salad with it. :dizzy:

Ingredients

1 lb ground chuck (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/#)
10 slices bacon (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/#), cooked and crumbled
1 (8 ounce) package sharp Cheddar, grated
2 large eggs
1/4 cup mayonnaise (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/#)
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/#)
1/4 teaspoon salt (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/#)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/#)
1/3 cup diced tomatoes or petite canned tomatoes, well drained
2 tablespoon prepared mustard (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/#)
1/2 c. sweet onion, sauteed in butter until carmelizedHow to make it

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck and next 8 ingredients, mixing well.
In a small bowl, combine the onion and tomatoes (reserve a little onion)
Stir 1/4 cup tomato mixture into meat mixture, reserving remaining onion/tomato mixture.
Press meat mixture into a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan, or shape into a loaf and place on a rack in a broiler pan.
Spread remaining onion/tomato mixture over loaf.
Bake 40 minutes.
Top with sauteed onions; bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink.

SissieSue
09-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Sandyfanny -- That looks tasty! Let us know how it turns out :-)

cher37
09-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Supper: Beef taco salad without the taco! Seasoned beef, sauteed onions & green peppers, ranch dressing, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and salsa, all on top of lots and lots of lettuce!!! Yum :D

Dessert: SF/FF lime jello w. fresh whipped cream

sandyfanny
09-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Cher, that sounds delicious! I'm having that one night this week.

Tonight: shredded Barbecue Pork, Atkins' Red Cabbage Cole Slaw. Hungry Girl cheesecake (adapted for Atkins) for dessert! YES!:dizzy:

ghost girl
09-06-2010, 02:03 AM
I made a big pot of Greenbeans and Ham.

sandyfanny
09-06-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm making that yummy pot roast with the Greek seasoning. I just made some delicious deviled eggs to take to school this week. And I'm trying the Cheeseburger Meatloaf recipe...cooking ahead for a busy week of after-school meetings and packed lunches.

Deviled Eggs

Hard-boiled eggs, peeled under cold, running water
mayonnaise
2 tsp. vinegar
1/2 pack Splenda
1 T. celery seed
salt, coarse ground pepper

Halve the peeled eggs. Remove yolks, mash them fine (I use a fork or a potato masher) and add remaining ingredientsand mix. I wish I liked dill pickles, but I don't, so the Splenda and vinegar give me the taste of sweet relish. Garnish with paprika and/or finely chopped scallion tops or chives.

sandyfanny
09-06-2010, 05:48 PM
I love a chuck roast; this one's been smelling like heaven all afternoon. Puddin' the Giant German Shepherd is beside herself...literally. She keeps turning around in circles in the kitchen.

I'm having roast and a spinach salad with cucumber, red onion, and ranch dressing. Cherry SF jello with whipped cream for dessert. YUM!

:moo:

sandyfanny
09-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Tonight I'm having chicken breast pan fried in a little part olive oil/part butter and chopped garlic. When the chicken's done, I'm adding a couple of tablespoons of sun-dried tomatoes and topping it with grated jack cheese and a dollop of sour cream. I wish I had some green chilis...Mediterranean meets Mexican?

Steamed asparagus with butter and lemon on the side. :dizzy:

cher37
09-08-2010, 04:37 PM
keepin' it pretty simple today ....

roasted chicken w. steamed brocolli :broc:

sandyfanny
09-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Sounds like a perfect Atkins dinner, Cher. I'm keeping it simple too. Pot Roast left from my cook-a-thon Monday and spinach salad - spinach, cucumber, red onion, and ranch dressing.

Appetizer: ham salad scooped up in pork rinds (I came home from school starving even though my meatloaf and deviled egg lunch was very good) :dizzy:

fatmad
09-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Had a craving for a stir fry. I made chicken thighs. Made a peanut sauce from unsweetened peanut butter, water, vinegar and tabasco ( sort of based on a szechuan peanut sauce available in the local grocery store, with no sugar of course. I figured it out to be about 4 g carbs on my chicken.)
instead of rice, I grated a zucchini and fried it in olive oil until crispy. I think having the new fan helps to suck the moisture away tho.
So tasted pretty good I think. Figured a good supper was about 6g carbs that way!

jenntx71
09-08-2010, 07:43 PM
I had a protein shake and a banana. My son has swim practice tonight so I had to grab something quick. I love everyone's ideas!

SilverLife
09-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Ground chuck with mixed greens, cream cheese, 1/2 & 1/2, a spoon of Rotel, a few green olives and pimientos. Was okay, wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

Cream cheese whip for dessert (unsweetened).

cher37
09-09-2010, 05:43 PM
egg, brocolli, onion, bacon & cheese frittata :eating2:

sandyfanny
09-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Cook once, eat many times, this week. I'm having cheeseburger meatloaf from Monday's cook-a-thon. With it, I'm thinking sauteed asparagus (in olive oil) sprinkled with a little grated parmesan.

Hungry Girl Cheesecake (adapted for Atkins) for dessert.

It's been a long week - really glad tomorrow's Friday! :dance:This week has been much easier because I cooked ahead and didn't have to come home from school exhausted and prep and cook!

I'm cooking oven barbecued baby back ribs Sunday night to make three meals next week. (They were on sale last weekend) I'll probably buy a rotisserie chicken Sunday night and a steak for next week's dinners and lunches.

sandyfanny
09-10-2010, 05:28 PM
I have a new recipe I've adapted to Atkins: Cauliflower Bacon Potato Salad:

1 head cauliflower, broken into florets and steamed until soft, but not
"mushy"
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. sour cream
3 T. white vinegar (add a packet of Splenda if you like a sweeter dressing)
8 slices of bacon, cooked and drained
3 ribs of celery finely chopped
1/4 c. chopped parsley (or chopped green onion tops if you like the flavor...or use both parsley and scallion tops)
Salt, freshly ground pepper to taste

Whisk the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Add dressing to cauliflower florets. Add celery. Break the bacon into pieces and add bacon and parsley (or scallions). Chill for at least half an hour. If you make this a day ahead of serving, reserve the bacon and parsley to add near desired serving time.

Sorry, but I'm having the last of my delicious pot roast tonight with asparagus sauteed in olive oil and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Nothing new except the cauliflower potato salad! :dizzy:

SilverLife
09-10-2010, 05:43 PM
The cauliflower-bacon salad looks nice.

Today's supper: HB eggs, lettuce, picked green beans, side of cream cheese whip

readyfreddy
09-10-2010, 09:16 PM
I had seaweed chips for a snack and then 3 eggs and a chicken sausage. I was starving when I got home!

Total for today (I am on induction but last time I did it I didn't know you weren't supposed to eat cheese or nuts on induction and ended up losing 20 lbs really fast so I am going to be flexible on the cheese and nuts again and see if I can still lose weight).

Bfast- string cheese (1), coffee with small amount of cream and half a sweet and lot (2)

snack - 1 slice cheese (1) and roast beef slice.

lunch - greek yogurt (7), cheese (1), roast beef

snack - seaweed chips (4)

dinner - 3 eggs (3) and 1 sausage (1)

I didn't do great on my veggies today although I ate a lot of dried seaweed.

Total - 20 carbs.

SilverLife
09-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Readyfreddy, were those seaweed chips made of only seaweed? They sound interesting. I like seaweed.

Dinner today was quick and easy as I had to dash: ground chuck burger and lettuce.

sandyfanny
09-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Shopping and dinner out with a friend at Chili's...my order:

1/2 rack Baby Back Ribs (original) 15 carbs*
steamed broccoli w/ranch dressing 2 carbs*:broc:
unsweetened iced tea

(Lots of water before and after)

*This information comes from Chili's nutritional information web site. Very handy if you're a Chili's fan.

sandyfanny
09-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Cher, your fritatta sounds really yummy. Would you share your recipe please or reference a cookbook or web site for me?

Thanks so much. We're going to have a great week!:carrot:

readyfreddy
09-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Silver - ya just seaweed and seasoning! One had seasame oil and one wasabi poweder. They're good!

Last night I ate a looooot. But I did pretty well staying on plan but I don't feel like I'm in ketosis this am. I'll find out tomorrow.

Today: 2 eggs and 2.5 slices of bacon and coffee w cream and splenda (5 carbs)

lunch - avo (4), sauage (1)

dinner - salad (5) and sausage(1)

total 16

SilverLife
09-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Readyfreddy, thanks. I'm going to go through my bags of seaweed and pick out something. Do you make your own sausage?

When I first started low carb, it took me several weeks to adjust. It was easier to eat less after those first few weeks of adapting to ketosis. I remember one morning that something just "clicked in" and I knew that I had finished that initial keto-adaptation. I find there are always adjustments and settling in periods.

I made a fancy breakfast this morning, so midday and evening are simple meals today. Ground chuck burger, freshly picked tomato, almond butter and mascarpone.

fatmad
09-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Diced avocado, diced cucumbers, diced red pepper (or tomatoes), a little vinegar to keep the avocado from browning, (can also used lemon juice, but I am allergic to it) and a bit of mayo to dress it.
mmm. went well with my little steak and scallions.

sandyfanny
09-12-2010, 08:52 PM
I had dinner at Flo's Place in Garden City, SC - worst food ever! It's a hilarious place and might be lots of fun to go and drink there, but NEVER eat. The people were really nice, but the food was so bad, my daughter and I burst out laughing when we saw our dinner.

Thank God we decided to split an entree - should've been awesome. Baked Flounder garnished with a fried green tomato and a white cheese sauce. It WAS TERRIBLE and looked awful. My daughter had a salad on the side...totally sad and uninspiring; I had a side order of green beans. I ate all my green beans; they were decent. The flounder dish was a DEE-ASTER!

I didn't eat much for dinner...I'm having some sugar-free jello right now.

The awful dinner gave me a good idea on a new way to cook flounder; I'm sure I could use the idea and execute the dish so it would be wonderful.

Anybody on the South Carolina coast know someplace yummy to eat seafood in the Murrell's Inlet, Garden City, Surfside Beach, Pawley's Island area? :rollpin:

SilverLife
09-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Fatmad, your dinner sounds scrumptious.

readyfreddy
09-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Silver - I do make my own sausage sometimes but these were store bought!

Also thought of a good salad that I make sometimes but its perfect for atkins!

half an avo (leave whole as much as possible, scoop out with spoon).

about a 3/4 cup bay shrimp rinsed and dried, some dill, lemon, mayo

mix lemon, dill and mayo to make a mixture

mix shrimp with small amount of mayo mixture to coat, put shrimp in avo center, drizzle with balsamic. service.

SilverLife
09-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Readyfreddy, your shrimp/avo dish is very popular with some ladies I know.

I like sliced avo with a burger and bacon.

Do you make breakfast sausage with ground meat or the kind in casings?

readyfreddy
09-12-2010, 10:22 PM
w the casings. I have an attachment to my kitchenaid to grind the meat and then stuff the casings.

I usually do an italian herb mix. But once I made an asian mix with cilantro, serranos, seasame oil etc that turned out quite well!

readyfreddy
09-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Meal plan for today:

bfast - string cheese (1), coffee with half and half and sweetner (2)

lunch - tandori chicken w spinach (8)

snack - cheese (1)

dinner - cucumber small lemon type (4), 2 cups cabbage (4), sausage (1)

total = 21

SilverLife
09-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Readyfreddy, your sausages sound grand!

Dinner today: Soup made w/ bacon, greens, chives, with an egg mixed in.
Almond butter. Whipped cream w/ blueberries

sandyfanny
09-13-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm doing up some baby back ribs in the oven this evening...since I'm out of Scott's Barbecue sauce, I'm experimenting with making my own sauce using pureed petite dice tomatoes, garlic, a little onion, splenda, vinegar and whatever else sounds good. I'll report on my sauce when I finish!

I'll have a spinach salad: spinach, English cucumber, red onion with bleu cheese dressing.

Sugar-free cherry jello. :p

readyfreddy
09-14-2010, 12:11 PM
mmmm BBQ!

Today:

bfast 2 eggs (2), coffee (2)

snack - string cheese (1)

lunch 2 cups cabbage (4), 1 whole avo (6)

snack - cheese (1)

dinner - tuna (1) on salad (4)

total - 21

SilverLife
09-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Readyfreddy, what a lovely menu!

Here's mine:

B: 3 eggs in 1.3 oz. beef fat. 1.3 tsps instant decaf powder, juice of 1 lemon in purified water.
D: 70g ground beef, 46 g. homegrown tom. 1 oz. mozzarella
S: to be decided

Water: one gallon+ per day

sandyfanny
09-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Last night I didn't the ribs I'd planned. (That's tonight's dinner instead with a spinach salad) I got involved in making treats for my dog and cook-ahead sausage and egg quiche, so instead of ribs I had:

French onion soup (remember that great pot roast...the jellied stuff at the bottom of the pot became the base for an excellent homemade soup)
A big square of sausage, egg, and cheese quiche

Sausage, Egg, and Cheese quiche deliciousness!

Not a new recipe, but adapted for Atkins Induction...and it's delicious.

3 large eggs
1 pound mild sausage
1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese
1/3 c. heavy cream diluted with 1/3 water
Salt, freshly- ground pepper, red pepper flakes to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (if using glass pan)
Crumble the sausage into a frying pan on medium. Cook and drain the sausage. Whisk eggs with cream and seasonings. Spray a baking dish or pie pan (I like a pretty ceramic quiche pan) with Pam. Lay sausage in the bottom of the pan, sprinkle the cheese on top of it evenly. Then pour the egg-cream mixture over it evenly. Bake at 350 degrees 30-40 minutes in glass or ceramic dish. If you're using metal, 375 degrees.

Let it cool a few minutes before you slice into servings. Makes 4 - 6 servings.

Everybody loves this as a breakfast / brunch dish. If it's brunch, serve with a green salad, grilled or steamed asparagus, a thick slice of tomato.

SilverLife
09-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Nice adapting on the quiche!

Today's dinner: Corned beef and Brussel sprouts

sandyfanny
09-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Tonight I'm having Barbecue Chicken ( a rotisserie chicken I've carved into serving pieces and put barbecue sauce on some of them and popped back into the oven on low for about 25 min.) and a spinach salad - spinach, red onion, English cucumber and ranch dressing.

I used 2 T. of Kraft's Original Barbecue Sauce (5 carbs) on four pieces of chicken, and I actually ate two of the pieces of chicken. I'm out of Scott's, and it's driving me nuts! :p

I'm staying really close to induction this week, so it's been lots spinach, mixed greens, cucumber, a little red onion, and mostly chicken and eggs as proteins. Just a little cheese spread over the week.

readyfreddy
09-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Today

bfast - coffee (2), string cheese (1)

snack - gum, tea w cream (2)

lunch - sausage (1), string cheese (1)

snack - cabbage w dressing (5)

dinner - going out so ?? gonna try to get some steamed veggies or spinach salad and meat!

12 so far which means i have 8 for dinner.

readyfreddy
09-16-2010, 12:37 PM
today -

bfast 2 coffees!! (4), and string cheese (1)

lunch and dinner turkey roll ups with cream cheese and avo (10)

snack peanuts (5)

today - 20

I am going to be driving during dinner time so I will eat my dinner at about 5 and then have a snack around 8.

I am breaking atkins by not getting 12 carbs from veggies and I am eating a whole avo! ooops! but weird day. I had a ton of veggies yesterday so hopefully its ok.

readyfreddy
09-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Today.
Coffee w a bit of 2% (2) 2 eggs (2)

lunch turkey roll ups w ranch. Am going to try to add a veggie. Spinach? (4)

snack - sausage (1)

dinner hburger Patty. (1). Will be at a BBQ. Will try to find some salad too. (4) Prob a glass of wine or two (6)

SilverLife
09-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Dinner today:

burger, greens cooked in beef fat and chives, spaghetti squash w/ butter

sandyfanny
09-17-2010, 04:24 PM
It's been really hot again this week...record highs and no rain! So, I'm having a cool chicken salad on a bed of salad greens - mayonnaise, green onions, salt & pepper and maybe a little ranch dressing.

:p

Linsy
09-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Sauteed mushrooms and onions poured on top of chicken breasts seasoned with salt, pepper, and basil then baked...It's almost done and looks delicious! I kind of thought up the recipe in my head so I'm glad it turned out.

Shells
09-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Stir fry ....... thinly sliced steak, onion, mushrooms, yellow pepper, cabbage ... seasoned with soya sauce, fish sauce and sambal olek

sandyfanny
09-18-2010, 09:35 AM
These sound like delicious dinners! I have no clue what I'm having for dinner tonight. It's Saturday, so I have time to figure it out and shop or dig around in the kitchen. If I eat dinner at home tonight, it might be seafood, fish or shrimp maybe...:eating2:

cher37
09-18-2010, 07:28 PM
... dinner out for hubby's birthday .... had a spinach salad with red pepper, red onion, balsamic vinegar & sundried tomato dressing with steaks, fried mushrooms & garlic butter, and a dessert coffee - w. mint flavor shot & whipped cream on top.

YUM!

sandyfanny
09-18-2010, 08:07 PM
That's one of my very favorite meals - I love Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. I always order their spinach salad, steak and a yummy veggie side...the coffee with a mint shot and cream is a brilliant finish to your dinner and feels like dessert! Good Job!

I'm so not inspired to cook dinner tonight; I've been cleaning house all day on and off...and playing on the computer. No way am I getting my kitchen dirty!

So it's potluck from my refrigerator! Listen to this combination: 2 barbecued baby back ribs, chicken salad - mayonnaise, green onions, pimentos - bacon left from breakfast crumbled into the chicken salad. I'm topping the chicken salad generously with cheese and baking it in a 6oz. ramekin while the ribs reheat in the oven.

The chicken salad is delicious heated as a little cassarole, but I've never had ribs with chicken salad before! I might add a small green salad; I haven't had any veggies today. :dizzy:

Shells
09-18-2010, 10:04 PM
I made Sandyfannys sausage, cheese and egg quiche ... used hot italian sausage and it was really hot and spicy

Linsy
09-18-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm going to make sandyfanny's quiche tomorrow morning for breakfast! I'm just going to have to increase the recipe a lot since it will be feeding more than just me. My mom brought home 5 dozen eggs from the store tonight because I'm going through them like crazy so I need to put them to good use.
Tonight I'll be having sirloin tips and mushrooms, using sour cream to thicken instead of flour and omitting the wine. I'll probably also have a big salad of mixed baby greens+cucumber with vinegar and oil dressing.

Edit: My mom ended up not using the sour cream in the sirloin tips but it was still great and would probably be good with the sour cream as well. I also didn't make sandyfanny's quiche because not everyone felt like eating and I slept in but I plan on making it soon. It sounds really good.

ghost girl
09-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Sandy I used your wing recipe on boneless, skinless chicken breast, Talk about good, turned out great.

sandyfanny
09-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Ghost girl, why didn't I think of using the recipe on chicken breasts? Brilliant! And, Linsy, your sirloin tips dinner sounds great, a stroganoff sort of yumminess.

The breakfast quiche increases really well; I've doubled it many times and used it when I have weekend guests. You can also make it the night before, cover it, refrigerate it, and pop it in the oven the next morning. I'm making one today to use as breakfast this week. I can't bear the thought of cooking at 5:30 a.m.!

No clue about dinner tonight, but I have to go to the grocery today, so I'll come up with something. :dizzy:

SilverLife
09-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Nice to see more folks in this thread. :)

Today's dinner: beef liver, bacon and onions

sandyfanny
09-19-2010, 11:56 AM
I love liver and onions...my mom used to make the absolute best liver and onions. I've never cooked it for myself; I think I'm certain mine would be a big disappointment.

SilverLife
09-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Sandyfanny, from reading your posts, it looks as though you are a super cook. :hug:

This is only the second time I've cooked beef liver. I'm more used to chicken livers. I asked a few folks, and they said, "Bacon and onions!". So, browned onions, lightly cooked bacon. Push those to the edge of the skillet. Turn skillet on high, sear the liver, flip, sear. Check for doneness. I like well cooked meat. Some like pink on the inside, some red. Some like seared outsides and blood juices inside, dripping.

I cooked the whole package, and then, ate my 2.5-3 ounces. Put some in a jar for tomorrow, and most of it got put into the freezer. The part that went into the freezer is just enough done that I can cook it again for a short bit and it won't be overcooked.

The first package I bought tasted a bit strong to me. This package was very mild. I think adding butter to the bacon fat helped.

I'm trying to make sure I get liver, egg yolks and meat/bone broths as staples in my food plan.

sandyfanny
09-19-2010, 08:00 PM
I think my mom used to soak her liver (that sounds really funny) in milk before she cooked it, but I'm sure she lightly floured it before frying it up.

I love to cook when I have time and especially when I can cook for friends or family. It's not that much fun for one, but every now and then I "get a notion" as we say in the South, and cook up something special just for me.

I think I'm going to start a new thread with just recipes from "What's for Dinner" posts. I love some of the things y'all have posted, but I hate hunting through the whole thread for the ones with recipes. What do you think? :dizzy:

Shells
09-19-2010, 11:57 PM
I think the recipe thread is a grand idea sandyfanny .... it is getting to be a bit of a chore looking for the ones I want too!

SilverLife
09-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Sandyfanny, I think your notion of a recipe thread is good. I didn't know that "notion" was a Southern word. What would you think of an Induction-friendly title, so everyone could eat what's posted?

Dinner today:

2 eggs and 1 egg yolk scrambled in beef drippings, 2 T. sliced okra, dipped in egg and then almond meal, and fried in bacon fat and clarified butter. Mmmmm.

Scrumptious and no casein or lactose. :)

readyfreddy
09-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Silver - I love liver but I've given myself food poisoning twice from it (campylobactor or something like that). Chickens in my area have a lot of it. It is safe so long as you cook it through, but I am one that likes my liver pink! Don't worry - it wasn't bad food poisoning and I still eat liver (thats how much I like it!) I just don't cook it myself anymore hehe.

Soaking in milk is quite common here too!

today -

bfast 2 eggs (2), coffee (2)

snack - string cheese (1)

lunch - turkey and cabbage (6)

dinner - 2 cans tuna w mayo and mustard (1) on 2 cups arugula (6)

total - 18

SilverLife
09-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Readyfreddy, thanks for the warning about the liver. Good thing I like it well done.

How did you cook your cabbage for the turkey?

readyfreddy
09-20-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm eating it raw w vinegar and turkey - salad style!

SilverLife
09-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Ah, I do that, too, sometimes.

I tried some raw turnip and cream cheese dip today. I liked it.

sandyfanny
09-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions and ideas, everyone.

I don't want to title the section "Induction Friendly Recipes" because I think it implies a greater degree of Atkins expertise and carb-counting and research than I intend to do. I certainly don't want to make a mistake and mislead anyone that I'm some kind of Atkins expert. And Jersey Gyrl will give me a virtual smack (or two) if something we post isn't absolutely Induction perfect. LOL!

Example: I have a recipe adapted from Hungry Girl that is delicious, but uses ricotta cheese and 2 T. sugar-free vanilla pudding mix. Jersey Gyrl correctly called me on the ricotta cheese (for OWL only) and figured out the number of carbs in 2 T. of pudding mix. It's not really for induction, but I've made it and eaten several times and LOVE it...I didn't lose so much either those weeks!

So, I think I'll just pull recipes from our postings at "What's for Dinner" and leave it at that.

I think "get a notion" may be a Southern idiom, but maybe other folks say it too.

I'll start the thread and build it as I have time to pull the recipes out of everyone's postings. If I post anything you've contributed, you'd rather I not post, just let me know and I'll delete it.

Thanks! :dizzy:

SilverLife
09-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Sandyfanny, your recipe plan sounds super. Thanks very much for doing that.

sandyfanny
09-20-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't what's going on, but I don't have much appetite at night. Maybe I'm too tired to be hungry, or maybe the Atkins magic has kicked in:

I'm having a small scoop of ham salad: deli baked ham chopped very fine in the food processor, mayonnaise, a little grainy mustard. I used pork rinds to scoop the ham salad.

When I got home from school, I iced the last cup of coffee from this morning, added a packet of Splenda and some heavy cream for a delicious, refreshing treat. Maybe it cut my appetite? :dizzy:

SilverLife
09-20-2010, 08:44 PM
SF, your ham salad and pork rinds sound great. Iced coffee treats are nice, too. Yeah for that keto-effect! :)

Linsy
09-20-2010, 08:46 PM
I haven't been feeling well today. I have a nagging headache and absolutely NO energy. This morning I made breakfast burritos for the family but skipped the tortilla and ate only the filling which was ground sausage, eggs, and shredded cheese. However, it's the only thing I've eaten today. I'm not in the mood to cook so tonight's dinner will be a low carb burger from Carl's Jr with no ketchup, only 1 slice of cheese and some jalapenos. I know I haven't eaten enough but it's just one of those days. :(

Last night I made yummy "stuffed" bell peppers, which was hamburger, canned tomatoes, onion, a little beef broth and seasonings put into boiled bell pepper halves then topped with cheese and baked. They were great and everyone in the house loved them.

sandyfanny
09-20-2010, 09:15 PM
I love stuffed peppers and hadn't even thought about them. What a good idea...I hope you feel better tomorrow. :dizzy:

Linsy
09-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks Sandy! I'm feeling better already. I think the culprit might have been dehydration. I don't think I drank enough water yesterday but I drank 67 ounces today and feel MUCH better. By the way, I think the recipe thread is a great idea!

If you want the stuffed bell peppers recipe, I made my own version of the one on the recipe website in the "Atkins Induction Basics" sticky by JersyGyrl: genaw.com/lowcarb/make_me_stuffed_peppers.html

readyfreddy
09-21-2010, 12:42 AM
tomorrow-

2 hard boiled eggs (2), coffee (2)

lunch - sausage (1)

snack - sausage (1)

dinner - veggies and miracle pasta (10)

total 16

gym after dinner!

SilverLife
09-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Readyfreddy, what is miracle pasta?

Today's dinner: liver, bacon, and leeks in beef fat

readyfreddy
09-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Silver - They are "pasta" made of a root vegetable. Mostly indigestible fiber.

http://miraclenoodle.com/

I make them w a brown butter/sage sauce and add parm cheese. Totally filling.

SilverLife
09-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Readyfreddy, thanks. I like it that we have so many food choices now.

I fried some okra the other day, dipped in egg and then in almond meal. It was a treat to be able to eat fried okra. I didn't even miss the traditional corn meal.

sandyfanny
09-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Tonight I'm making a small chicken and asparagus cassarole. I'm using half of the breast of a rotisserie chicken, 6 or 8 stalks of fresh, tiny asparagus and a mixture of 1/4 c. mayonnaise and 2 T. ranch dressing, pepper to taste. (Reserve a little of the mayonnaise/ranch mixture for topping the cassarole)

I'm microwaving the asparagus until slightly cooked. Then mix the chicken breast, diced into large pieces, with the mayonnaise, pepper and ranch mixture. Put the chicken pieces in the bottom of a small cassarole dish sprayed with Pam and layer with asparagus spears. Top with the reserved mayonnaise mixture and heat at 350 degrees until it's hot and bubbly.

If I weren't trying to eat less cheese, I'd sprinkle lots of cheddar cheese on top before baking to make it extra-yummy.

Linsy
09-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Tonight I'm going to have taco salad. The taco seasoning we usually use has sugar in it, so I looked up a recipe and made homemade taco seasoning. A few of the spices in it aren't listed on the induction acceptable foods list but it's probably much better for me than the taco seasoning from the store. The salad is going to have ground beef, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, maybe some tomato and peppers if I can find some.

sandyfanny
09-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Long, awful day at school...bomb threat...fortunately, it was only a threat, but that means big trouble at school.

Went directly to Chili's after school...tall vodka/club soda/lime and a Steakhouse Sandwich without the bread - steak tips, lettuce, provolone cheese, and grilled onions. Very yummy. I hope I don't pay for the vodka and the cheese when I weigh in this week.

I didn't make the best choices...vodka is not a vegetable, but I didn't lose my mind either.
:hat: This is me being glad school is over for today.

Joplin
09-22-2010, 10:06 PM
I tossed a roast into the slow cooker this morning at 0530. I arrived home after work to the succulent smell of YUM. It took all of 10 minutes to boil & mash a small turnip and throw together a salad.

Now, the drippings from the roast will become a soup base for tomorrow as it slowly simmers with some veggies.

I always thought that giving up carbs to jump start weight loss would kill me but in fact, it has been pretty easy.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar059/yinyang02/lb/224/174/213/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

ghost girl
09-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Wow Sandy a bomb threat no fun , its ok to have a tall vodka after that. Hope you have a great Thursday.

Joplin Welcome and your roast sounds really good, I like using my crockpot it making like a little easier.

fatmad
09-23-2010, 06:01 AM
Sandy, no one will criticize you for having a drink to unwind after a day like that! and yet you managed to eat pretty appropriately with it. A drink at a place like that would make me yearn for pub grub, nachos and fried mozza sticks etc. I often go to wings when possible, and try to get them unbreaded. The sandwich without the bread is a good alternative.

cher37
09-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Long, awful day at school...bomb threat...fortunately, it was only a threat, but that means big trouble at school.

Went directly to Chili's after school...tall vodka/club soda/lime and a Steakhouse Sandwich without the bread - steak tips, lettuce, provolone cheese, and grilled onions. Very yummy. I hope I don't pay for the vodka and the cheese when I weigh in this week.

I didn't make the best choices...vodka is not a vegetable, but I didn't lose my mind either.
:hat: This is me being glad school is over for today.

psst.... vodka has zero carbs .... does that help make your day any better?!!! :D

readyfreddy
09-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Today -

2 eggs (2) and coffee for breakfast (2)

sausage (1) and arugula with ranch (5)

snack sausage (1)

dinner miracle noodles with burnt butter sage sauce and parm. maybe some veggies? (4)

total - 15 so far but may add veggies (should add veggies for dinner)

Nigelswife
09-23-2010, 04:21 PM
B: 2 peppperoni sticks and coffee
L: 6 Large shrimp grilled and I dipped in a homemade dill sauce, 2 stalks of celery dipped in Ranch.
D: will be Burgers (without bun of course) probably with grilled onions, mushrooms and cheese. Maybe a Salad for the side.

readyfreddy
09-24-2010, 12:29 PM
today

bfast 3 eggs (3) and coffee (2)

lunch sausage (1) and salad w ranch (4)

snack - broth (1)

dinner - (i will be at an event) so maybe cheese and meat maybe a salad?? and 1-3 glasses wine. (will try to keep it at about 10 carbs which will be hard since each glass of wine is 3!)

sandyfanny
09-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Tonight, dinner with a friend at Outback. No worries, I ordered:

6 oz. prime rib
side salad with bleu cheese dressing (gave away the croutons)
sauteed mixed veggies (left the carrots)
unsweetened tea with lemon

My biggest temptation: a Sangria 'Rita. I think school is drivin' me to drink!

Ate all my salad, all my veggies (except the carrots) and brought home about half of the prime rib for tomorrow. ;)

sandyfanny
09-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Pork Tenderloin marinated in garlic and peppercorns. I'm also having steamed baby asparagus with lemon and butter. Yummy good and easy! :ink:

readyfreddy
09-27-2010, 12:13 PM
bfast -

2 eggs (2) coffee (2)

lunch - greek yog (7) and cucumber (3)

dinner - miracle noodles with burnt butter sage sauce and veggies (8)

total 22

Linsy
09-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Meatloaf. Maybe some steamed veggies with butter.

Shells
09-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Sandyfannys cauliflower soup ... with some variations. I got it all going and then went to add the chicken broth only to find that I had beef broth and mushroom broth and vegetable broth and seafood broth .... but no chicken broth. So I used organic beef broth and added some roasted garlic to it ... it was yummy

sandyfanny
09-28-2010, 08:09 AM
What a great variation, Shells! Question: Did you roast your garlic yourself first? In the oven? Or do you have a prepared roasted garlic in your stores?

Thanks! :)

Shells
09-28-2010, 08:41 AM
I roasted the garlic myself ....... the soup was so very tasty.

ValRock
09-28-2010, 08:49 AM
I made chicken soup with chicken, celery, onions, spinach, and shirataki noodles. Yum Yum

readyfreddy
09-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Val - i went shopping yesterday and they had the shirataki noodles for buy one get one free! I have about 8 packs in my fridge now. I love them. I got some alfredo sauce too (2 carbs for 1/4 cup) so I may try them with that and a little sauteed panchetta and spinach tonight.

I was starving yesterday. I think I didnt get enough fats?

Today - bfast macadamia nuts (2) and sliced cheese (1), coffee (2)

snack - 10 green olives (2)

lunch - veggies (5), cheese slices (2) and lunch meat (1)

dinner - miracle noodles with alfredo spinach and panchetta (8)

total 23

Linsy
09-28-2010, 05:01 PM
My mom is making a big pot of soup with squash, onion, celery, stew meat, and a few other things. It smells delicious. She's making it for everyone but only using veggies that I can eat.

sandyfanny
09-28-2010, 05:14 PM
It must be soup weather somewhere! These all sound delicious...what a good momma you have, Linsy!

sandyfanny
09-28-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm doing that weird thing where I don't want anything I have to eat; I can't even think of anything I want that I don't have!

I think I'm just too tired. Eventually, tonight I've decided to have a spinach salad, a little red onion, maybe with bacon, and a few slices of pork tenderloin. I'm making honey mustard dressing to make it more interesting... :yawn:

Linsy
09-28-2010, 07:04 PM
The soup is FABULOUS and it's not even done yet. She had me taste it and it's delicious. It simmered down so the veggies are tender and the soup is thick almost like stew.

I have a question about green beans...I've seen dishes on a low carb website containing green beans that say they're okay for induction, and when I look it up on google people say green beans/string beans are also okay for induction. However, the Atkins website doesn't have green beans listed as an acceptable food. Can we eat them? My mom wants to put some green beans in the soup to give it more substance but I'm not sure about them.

Sandy--Thank you! My mom has been overweight all of her life and dieted a lot over the years, including Atkins so she's familiar with it. She's very supportive and tries to do whatever she can to help me. And yeah, the weather is definitely cooling off in California which means yummy comfort food...minus the breads and potatoes of course.