Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 11:54 AM   #1  
Turtle Buddy

Default Turtle Club #83

Hi, Everyone,

Here's my "official" version of the fable:

The Hare and the Tortoise

A hare met a tortoise one day and made fun of him for the slow and clumsy way in which he walked.

The tortoise laughed and said, "I will run a race with you any time that you choose."

"Very well," replied the hare, "we will start at once."

The tortoise immediately set off in his slow and steady way without waiting a moment or looking back. The hare, on the other hand, treated the matter as a joke and decided to take a little nap before starting, for she thought that it would be an easy matter to overtake her rival.

The tortoise plodded on, and meanwhile the hare overslept herself, with the result that she arrived at the winning-post only to see that the tortoise had got in before her.

Moral: Slow and steady wins the race.

This comes from a book handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me. The book is so old it doesn't have a copyright date or an author/editor's credit.

That fable has been the motivation for us turtles for about three years. Someone on the ancient WW forum mentioned the fable and I discovered it was very motivational for me. I talked about it in posts and other people said that the tortoise philosophy worked for them, too. So, I started a thread for us turtle types.

We work toward accepting that our bodies have a natural speed of weight loss when we choose to live a healthy life, instead of "going on a diet". Many of us have experienced "the diets" as go on/lose weight-- go off/ gain the weight plus more back.

We choose to perservere with each choice we make throughout the day. We believe that choosing to be slow, steady turtles helps us to learn the skills we need to in order to lose and keep off the weight. Our main focus is to become the healthiest people we can be.

So, welcome to all who realize that losing and maintaining a weight loss is a lifestyle change. And who want support as we all learn the skills we need to successfully make the changes that will allow us to reach our goals.

Lin
Old 10-07-2002, 12:08 PM   #2  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

April, you said, "I remember from an earlier post...LaurenH said she had lost 95 lbs. in 4 1/2 years. I figured that out & that is 1.75 lbs. a month. It doesn't seem like much....but when the months becomes years....it is a lot." That is the turtle philosophy--it all adds up.

Determined--starting again is exactly what we all do when we get sidetracked. Rarely is anyone's journey straight from the start to goal and beyond. Those sidetracks are when we learn our lessons and then move one. I like to write in my journal about those times. It helps me to figure out what I need to do.

Wow, kaylets. That's so cool about the progress you and your dh have made. I like your Maya Angelou quote. I love the Oscar Wilde quote in your sig line. I bought a coffee mug with that quote on it for my dh because it totally matches his outlook on life.

I'm doing better today with my food choices and I'm getting more walking in. The real challenge will be when winter comes and it gets rainy. I'll deal with that then.

The rest of my life is going OK, too. I got an email from my dh today that a tire blew out while he was on the freeway. I'm so grateful that he wasn't hurt. I wish we didn't have to buy a new tire we can't afford, but we'll get past that part.

I had a major breakthrough with the novel this weekend. Got a new spin on my main character that will give me a much better story.

I also signed up for NaNoWriMo. It stands for National November Writing Month. It's a little contest, started by a guy who thought it would be a fun way for writers to challenge themselves. The idea is you start at midnight (or anytime after that), local time, on November 1 and write the rough draft of a 50,000 word novel. You can do as much outlining and background work as you want ahead of time, but it's not supposed to be additions to a work-in-progress (WIP) and you can't start the actual writing ahead of time. It averages out to 1667 words a day. I have some ideas I'm considering and it's just for fun.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin

Last edited by Lin S; 10-07-2002 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:45 PM   #3  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Lin,
What a cool concept to get a novel going. I am also thrilled for you with your good news--dh not hurt, character in novel getting
more depth to her. Very glad food is coming along for you as well.
I know I always feel better when food is not in control and I am.

Kaylets,
Love the quote--I feel that's what we are all doing. Learning more and more about ourselves and doing things in a better way.

Lurkers, etc.
Have a great day.

I've been recording points and working on the water. Today was a heavy point day, but that's okay because I was starving and needed to *beef* up my food intake. Yesterday was much lighter in amounts and that's probably why I was so hungry today. Okay--I've got something good to talk about. I got through my birthday week holding onto my 4 pound weight loss. No back tracking this time around! Now the temptation will be to reward myself with food, so I have to be aware of that! Proud of myself and ready to knock off the rest of this weight.

Love,
Judy
Old 10-08-2002, 07:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

I just wanted to report that I made it through the day yesterday with 5 banked points. Monday is the start of my week. I walked almost 2 miles at lunch with the boss. Dang, it about killed me keeping up with their pace -but I'm going to stick with it because its a challenging route. Just what I needed I think.

Lin - Your writing sounds really fascinating. I have trouble writing posts let alone a novel. What fun!

Kaylets - Congrats on making it through your birthday. Its a challenge keeping those special days from wrecking all our good efforts.

Better get ready for work. Have a great OP day!
Old 10-08-2002, 09:09 PM   #5  
Chick

Terri,
congrats on walking (running) with boss. The challenge makes it more exciting.

Everybody,
I am really trying this time around. Today after work and an hour long faculty mtg., I came home, put on new sneakers, and got on the treadmill for a mile. For those of you who know me, you know that is a major accomplishment. I wanted to stop at 3/4mile and said that was silly, so I plodded on for the last 1/4mile. Points were great today. Low and I'm doing fine with that. It seems I need a high point day sometime during the week
to keep my body happy.

Everyone take care. Hope Lauren's having a great vacation.
Lin and Erin and Miata and Terri and Kaylets and April--let's do this bigtime!

Judy
234/224/thinner
Old 10-08-2002, 10:13 PM   #6  

Hi Turtles,

It sounds like everyone's doing well. New turtles (I don't remember who said it), it's "totally turtle" to lose about 2 pounds a month. Considering how long we're going to live, I'd take it! The success isn't in how fast you can lose it, it's how long you can keep it off.

I'm completely buried in anatomy. Random anatomical terms keep popping into my head--I was even dreaming them last night! Test tomorrow, then maybe I can get a peaceful night's sleep. I was actually WOKEN UP by the thought that I couldn't think of the first would (galea) of the galea aponeurotica. I'm obsessing a bit, I think.

I'm working on combining the advice and menus of my nutritionist with WW points. I can't be bothered by worrying about macronutrient breakdowns. I can keep track of points. So I've gotten used to the menus the nutritionist wrote, and I'm chosing them (there are 6 days of 6-meals-a-day menus) based on how my points are going. I'm hoping this will work--so far I've dropped 1.5 pounds in 4 days!

Lin, when I went to college the first time I went from San Diego to Greencastle, Indiana (about 80 miles west of Indianapolis). I was fine, scared but fine. I promise he's okay.

Gotta run, get back to work, but I wanted to let you all know I'm still here.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:10 AM   #7  
Chick

Thumbs down

Erin,
You lost weight. Ahem, may I repeat that? You lost weight!
Oh man, I am so thrilled for you. Glad you are figuring this out.
Any gal who can understand and remember anatomy (I had a miserable time with physiology) is way up there in my books.
It is incredibly smart to point out the menus your nutritionist gave you and to simply use those meals for now. And look! It's working!
The other thing that is so terrific was that you were exercising to beat the band and not eating very much and your weight didn't budge. A non-turtle or someone with less perserverance might have thrown in the towel. So glad you didn't and that you kept on working at it till you found something that worked. Hooray!

Now onto me: After walking just a mile, I lost some more weight.
I have a feeling I'm in the part of the month where I release weight. Well, this is a great feeling. Back on the treadmill for me again today.
Love and good vibes to all,
Judy
234/222/thinner
Old 10-09-2002, 12:29 PM   #8  

Hi Turttles...Boy we are a good group arn't we??? We are doing fantastic!!! WE are exercising, we are drinking water, we are journaling...Well that I am not doing so good bad, but I will start.

Erin congradultions on the weight loss. Judy, good for you for walking when you wanted to quit determined ..2 miles during lunch???? too cool

I am doing great, i weighed myself unofficially today, and on my scales i am almost down to 190. Now this is not official or anything...I am going by the curves scales, and actually i think it was higher then mine at home, so when I weigh on Sat it might be more..I just want to get below 190. I have been above 190 for at least 10 years and I am tired of it. Tired , Tired , Tired. Still going everyday to Curves...Since it is my day off, I will go a bit later. I am really really enjoying it..I can't believe I am actually doing it..I have spent so much money on gyms the last 5 or 6 years (maybe more) and never went on a consistant basic..Took too long, and didn't do it at home either. I have been going for 3 weeks now and am totally on fire. !!!!

Well better get my dh cereal fixed...He's a hungry boy.

See Ya!!!

Kathy
Old 10-09-2002, 08:15 PM   #9  

Smile Wonderful Wed

Hello All!!

Can't believe the middle of the week is here! But I am pleased that so far, 2 out of 3 days, I've spent time on the bike and the Total Gym. DH and I are still using the Instruction Video, each day you do a different combination- We're spending more time learning the moves but some of the back routines seemed to unknot a kink I usually feel by midday. We are "Turtling" this piece of equipment -- the video stresses " quality not quantity" and I have no intetnion of hurting myself.

Still on my plateau but am counting NSV's too. I just learned that little acronym and the timing couldnt be better. Non scale victories--like resisting the brownies a coworker " just made this morning" and " are still warm" or a smaller size or realizing I can really walk quickly now without much effort.

Lin, the novel challenge sounds like a great way to just get the words out. Rewrites are going to happen anyway, so just getting that first rush out "with permission" must feel very freeing. I always thought I had a book in me but have really only one good idea. Perhaps the major character should be on WW's- That's something I know well!!

Everyone else, sorry not to mention by name, I'm encouraged in my journey because you make me realize, that its all part of the trip. Sometimes you make good time, other times, you don't. But how many of us abandon the car when we're in a traffic jam?

Although, I did hear of one driver who got stuck in a tunnel and shot the engine full of holes.-- But that's just the exception that makes the rule, right??

Old 10-10-2002, 11:23 AM   #10  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

I wrote a post yesterday, but it's not here. Weird.

Judy--Congrats on getting through your birthday week without gaining. Celebrations have been hard for you so this must feel great! Happy Birthday! Great going with your walking. And you lost weight, too. You must be flying!!

Determined--Have fun walking with your boss. You're doing great!

Erin--I'm glad you were able to take a few minutes away from anatomy to post your great news. It is so wonderful that you finally found something that works for you. I admire your persistence.

Kathy--One of the hardest things for a lot of people is finding an exercise program they can stick with. It's good to see that you've found a good one and that you're successful with it.

Kaylets--I like your acronym. That concept has helped most of us through hard times like the seemingly endless plateau.

My son wrote a funny email about his first few days in college. They finally got their phone hooked up and he borrowed his roomie's laptop. I called him and it was great to talk for a while. The school is hosting a job fair today. He needs a PT job so he can pay for such "luxuries" as food, BART tickets, and art supplies. I will feel much better once I know that last piece (the job) is in place.

I'm learning the Dvorak keyboard layout. I'm trying to catch the inevitable typos. I've memorized the chart, but my speed is so slow. It's frustrating, but practice will solve that problem and I get a lot of practice.

My baby steps are going fine. I'm focusing on making healthy food choices, doing mini meals, and walking.

Happy turtlin'! Here's a for all of us exercisers.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:40 AM   #11  

Good morning ladies!!

Sorry for being absent all week, again! We had three nights of church activities this week - the most wonderful Bible conference. It was so uplifting and we learned a lot. Last night I was dead tired.

I am thrilled to report that I have walked 2 miles at lunch every day this week - somedays without anyone else! And I've journalled my food. I do have 5 banked points thanks to exercise. Here's what I see in my journal - while I'm doing more than my allotted four exercise points, my food points are a couple of points above my max. I do bank points because of the exercise but that's what's keeping me on this blasted plateau. So for next week, my goal will be to earn 6-9 exercise points a day and keep my food at 31-33. I want to keep the exercise at a high level because its building muscle and enables me to be strong for other things.

Have any of you ever pondered the theory about your body gravitating to a certain weight no matter what you do? I have begun to think that my body is so used to the way I eat that it takes really drastic changes to make a difference. For several years now, I have followed an exercise program and WW off and on so that I'd say about 75-80% of my meals are healthy on average. Of course I never get them all combined together consistent enough to lose weight - just maintain. That's why I want to bump up my exercise points - to see if that makes the change. I was just thinking about it on the way home last night - what is so wrong with my eating compared to other people? Time to study the journal.

Have a great day! I'll try to catch up on replies tonight or tomorrow because someone's comments about NSV's is so right on!

Take care!
Old 10-11-2002, 11:15 AM   #12  

Hi Turtles...Just wanted to say "howdi" to everyone!!! I have enjoyed reading all your post..I esp like your little ditty about the car Kaylets..that is a really smart idea...I have one of thoes thoughts..Here it is..

When I eat normally, and possibly thinking about changing my eating pattern (or in another words..diet) sometimes things come up, to temp me...like..free food, good tasting food that I like and want even though I am not hungry, eating things when i am upset..you get the picture...Now this is the thing ...When these things happen in my life....I roll over and play dead...I dont fight the urges that would make me stop doing what I need to do to have a healthy life..I just roll over, play dead, and do the thing that shouldn't be done if I want results of looking good someday. I need to say "NO" but sometimes, no doesn't even creep into my thinking..I don't know why. Am I the only one who sometimes never hears "NO, Dont"??? I need to reconize and think is this good for me or bad for me..I need to fight the urge to do something off my food plan that will not give me good results in the end...So my goal for the next ...um...ever!!! is to stop :Rolling over and playing dead. I am going to fight this..Tell myself "NO" when it is needed. I will tell you how I do...

Decided to take Thurs off from Curves..So I will be doing it Mon-Wed, thurs off, then Frii-SAt. I think that will give me a good workout and still give my body time to mellow out and start building lots of good muscle. Tomorrow is weight in and measure day...I am very excited. I know it is down. What i am really anxious to see is the fat content...If you go there w/o drinking coffee, they give you this thing to hold, put in your weight , and this thing figures out your fat content..I must tell you..mine was not very good. I will confess that my body fat was 41..Yes 41. I have lots of body fat to lose, so it will be fun to see how much it goes down in a month. I will be very happy with any that goes down even just a bit.

Am excited and sad about my dh leaving for Vegas..Excited cause I am going to use this time to make some good changes in my life. dh likes to eat out esp on my days off, and he also has this thing for going out late late at night for dessert. He get mad when I don't go, and believe me I don't like going..Once I get home from work, I want to stay put!!! Anyway, for 3 weeks there will be no more late night runs to Denny's or the truck stop. I will eat most every meal in, cook, eat vegies, journal points, and go to curves..I am going to put alot of quilting, driving, and house cleaning in there too. I am hoping he will see a change in me..He will be gone 3 weeks. Anyway the sad thing is that I will miss him, and I will also miss seeing my dd who will be in Vegas for the shooting match. So close yet so far..

Well I have bent your ear way to much, but thank you..It is nice to have you all here to listen to me ramble.

Bye for now

Kathy/Miata
Old 10-12-2002, 01:49 PM   #13  

Hey ladies,

Just a quick note while I take a break from ironing.

For a couple of years now I've had problems with my left hip. Sometimes it felt like it was out of place or sometimes like it just needed to be exercised. I've also had problems with my lower back if I stand too long or don't exercise. I had foot surgery about 4 years ago due to a heel spur and plantars fasciita. I had gotten a hard insert from the doc but found it very difficult to wear in regular shoes. I've tried to use other inserts with some success but still pain. I finally gave up and went to the Comfort Plus shoe store yesterday looking for something to walk in. I got a pair of New Balance shoes and a pair of Finn sandals. I tried Birkies clogs and did not like them. I wore the Finns back to work and as I got to my desk I noticed that my hip wasn't hurting. I also noticed that I wasn't walking like a very old woman as I sometimes did when I first got up. I've been wearing my Finn's around the house (and now while ironing) and wow, what a difference they have made. I'm going to box up a bunch of shoes and finally give up on them.

The downside on the Finn's is that they are expensive. I've had remorse over the cost but DH keeps telling me the money is worth it if I'm not in pain anymore.

So if anyone out there is suffering pain in your hips, lower back, legs and feet due to flat feet, I urge you to go to a specialty store and check it out.

Back to ironing!
Old 10-12-2002, 02:37 PM   #14  

Smile Hello All??

Just saw this and had to share-

I think we can all relate!!

Reason for a Weight Gain

Overeating.
Undereating.
Salt.
Lack of salt.
TOM (time of the month)
Not-TOM
You are wearing green.
You are not wearing green.
What you had for dinner last night.
What you didn't have for dinner last night.
Exercise.
Lack of exercise.
It's Saturday, Tuesday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, Thursday.
Pre-menopause.
Post-menopause.
You're having a good hair day.
You're having a bad hair day.
You used more hairspray/gel/mousse than normal.
You have tennis shoes on instead of sandals.
You have sandals on instead of tennis shoes.
You forgot to take your shoes off.
The sun is shining.
It's raining.
You forgot to use your turn signal when turning into the parking lot at your meeting.
You don't even drive a car.
When it's too hot, my body's holding on to the water. After all, it needs to hydrate itself, doesn't it?
When it's cold, because my body is holding on to food to use as heat.
When it's just right, my weight gain is because of ...ummmmm....uhhhhh...
Alien invasion.

Sometimes, it just happens. You have a choice. You can THROW all your hard work away, because of a "bad hair day" or you can keep plugging away.......

Keep plugging away!!!

Old 10-13-2002, 05:42 PM   #15  
Chick

Kaylets,
Love the explanations for giving up. Thanks for the reminder to keep plugging away!
Judy
Closed Thread