South Beach Diet - On plan thread (July 19-July 23)

View Full Version : On plan thread (July 19-July 23)

BellaLucia
07-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Welcome, join from any Phase! I'm on my second week of Phase I. I've been eating well with two slips but no more from here on out! What will u be doing in addition to eating right?
I'm exercising 6 days a week. 3 of those days are for 30 minutes and the rest is for 10 mins!

Fat Melanie
07-19-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm going to get my butt in gear and start some exercise tomorrow. I changed up my dinner plans *slightly* so I'm reposting my menu since it's changed a little. (I had black eyed peas rather than the whole wheat couscous. I know I should have had the couscous since I didn't have a grain or fruit today, but I'm discovering that grains don't exactly agree too well with me. Still searching for a perfect combination for me).

B- leftover lean burger on lettuce wrap with tomato, onion, cheese, mayo, and homemade SF ketchup.
S- SF peanut butter
L- 2 eggs scrambled in smart balance, 1 can (3.5 servings) turnip greens with vinegar and garlic salt/pepper, and v8 juice
S- lowfat milk
D- Lime Garlic salsa Chicken, steamed garlicked green beans with smart balance, and black eyed peas.
D- 1 SF fudgesicle

Tomorrow I want to make lentil soup.

kbj0123
07-19-2010, 11:03 PM
I am still on phase 1, week 2 and enjoying it.

B: 1 can chunk light tuna with onions and peppers, 1 cup l/f milk, cucumbers with lime juice.
Sn: 100 cal pack almonds.
L: Chicken breast stir fried with broccoli, Lentil veggie soup.
Sn: 2 sf hard candies
D: 1 Morningstar Farm Veggie Burger, Steamed cabbage with green peppers and tomatoes.
Sn: Sugar Free Fudgesicle

I love SB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

femmecreole
07-20-2010, 05:58 AM
1. Smoothie..spinach, carrots,green powder,ginger,a little coconut milk, chia gel, frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries, frozen banana.
2. Sipping chia fresca thoughout the morning
3. Large salad with all kinds of leftover veggies/Bolthouse Mango vinegarette dressing
4. Grilled turkey cutlet,baked sweet potato fries, asian veggies
5. Mango/Lime sorbet

Schmoodle
07-20-2010, 08:14 AM
I plan to practically drown myself in water today to help with the detox, marinate my sinuses, and get rid of this sore throat. I wore a skirt just for that reason - okay TMI, sorry.

I don't feel much like eating, but I'll try:
B: chocolate cheesecake smoothie
L: leftover London broil, marinated veggies, V8
S: skim latte, small salad with pistachios, goat cheese, apricots
D: grilled Kabobs of veggies and lean sausage
S: ricotta creme

zeffryn
07-20-2010, 08:48 AM
LOL, Schmoo.
Mel....it takes a long time to discover the perfect combination for you. Sometimes I wish I was a man, it's so easy for them.

--
B: chocolate cheesecake smoothie
workout: gotta go hard today!
L: tuna or chicken lettuce wrap
S: asian glazed chicken, kale
S: greek yogurt, almonds

sophie
07-20-2010, 09:01 AM
b - fibre one with blueberries and almond milk
l - zucchini soup with pumpernickel bread
s - grilled pork chops with broccoli and salad
s - almond butter

kbj0123
07-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Good day so far.
B: Morningstar farm sausage patty, scrambled egg, cucumber and tomato slies.
Sn: 10 peanuts
L: Eggplant Tofu bake, oven roasted veggies (asparagus, yellow squash, zucchini, onion, red peppers).
Sn: 10 peanuts
D: Tuna, Veggies, salad
Sn: Fudgsicle (maybe)

Fat Melanie
07-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Amen to that, Zeffryn. :)

Hey Femmecreole, what is that chia stuff I keep seeing you mention? :)

B- Leftover salsa chicken, green beans, and black eyed peas
S- SF natural PB on celery
L- salad dressed with vinegar, spices, cherry tomatoes, sprinkle of fat free cheddar, drizzle EVOO
D- homemade Lentil tomato spinach soup with veggies & lemon
D- Did indeed make bean brownies and had one.

Been feeling a little under the weather, not much appetite today. But when I woke up this morning, I could notice a change in my body, even only slightly. And it made me feel awesome. This is my 4th week OP. Did not exercise as I said I would, waiting to feel a little better.

Also, am going to be working on a cinnamon whole wheat/ flax streusel the next couple of days, using several different recipes and making my own. May contain walnuts (yum). or apples (yum.) Or both. (even yummier.) Will post when I get it just right.

femmecreole
07-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Melanie, just google "chia seeds" or health benefits of chia seeds and tons of info will come up. They are terrific. I sip a drink called "chia fresca" all day long. Water, Lemon, Stevia and a tablespoon of chia. It's kind of like drinking those bubble drinks. I love it. Keeps me full and on an even keel and very hydrating.

Today's Food:
1)Green Smoothie
2) Big spinach salad with tomatos and leftover turkey and veggies from last night all dumped in a bowl with bolthouse mango dressing.
3)Stir fry with chicken, kale, onions, peppers,squash, creole seasoning and tofu noodles (I'm stuffed)
4)Acai sorbet

Natalia
07-20-2010, 06:23 PM
me, at phase 1.25

B- cottage cheese, nonfat sf blueberry yogurt
L- SB flax muffin
s- almonds, cheese
S- portabella burger, steamed broccoli and edamame with margarine
2 coffees with cereal cream

yumm-o!

Fat Melanie
07-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks Femme! That sounds really good, and interesting. Reading a website right now that talks about leaving them in a glass of water and it turns into gelatin. That could be worked into a recipe for homemade healthy "jello". Awesome! I'm going to hunt me down some chia seeds!

femmecreole
07-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Melanie, they are also good in any drink. Love them in iced tea or chrystal lite etc. They have the "mouth feel" of a tiny little tomato seed (with that gel like coating) but no taste at all. They just taste like whatever you put them in. Read up on how the Aztecs used them. Very interesting. I keep a jar of the gel in the fridge to put in smoothies and just carry a little container of the dry seeds in my purse for drinks when I'm out. They really fill you up too and are just plain fun to drink and chew. Chewable drinks are just cool.

zeffryn
07-20-2010, 07:15 PM
mel, they don't get gelatin-y like jello would...but sort of like hair gel. easily mixed into drinks and whatnot.

murphmitch
07-20-2010, 09:02 PM
The chia seeds are supposed to help reduce cholesterol too!

Fat Melanie
07-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the info, guys! I'm very very intrigued. They seem to be a nature's superfood. I read about the Aztec history using these seeds and I'm dying to try them. Here's an informative link for anyone else who, like me, had never heard of them before. http://www.naturalnews.com/024955_chia_seeds.html

So that's where the Ch-chuh-chia pets come from! Only they're so much more than decorative plants!

EmmaD
07-21-2010, 12:41 AM
wow, my post is so boring compared to all the chia talk. Thanks for posting info and links! I've had ground chia meal, but not the seeds. And now I have the "chi-chi-chi-chia" song in my head, thanks for that too. Oh my gosh - they have chi-chi-chi-chia Obama! (https://www.americanchia.com) among others (careful if you click that link, it has sound and you WILL hear the jingle :) )

Phase 2

B - "Muffin in a minute" with a tad of natural peanut butter
S- Nonfat Greek yogurt
L - "Garden medley" veggie patty baked with tomato sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
S- Tofurkey slices wrapped around lf cream cheese, chives, roasted red pepper and arugula leaves + some almonds
D- stuffed Swiss chard leaves, turnip salad (AMAZING scarlet turnips at the farmer's market - we eat them grated with olive oil, vinegar and a little salt), romaine lettuce, 1/2 of the one tomato ready from the garden
dessert - maybe nothing since we ate late

Not the greatest day, but OK. Not enough veggies (by volume), too much fat (tho it's mostly from nuts and olive oil)...
1406 cals, 26 g fiber, 35% carbs 40% fat 25% protein

CyndiM
07-21-2010, 06:11 AM
must get back to planning.

Phase 2
B: almond milk, acai hemp powder & raspberry smoothie with a handful of spinach
S: tiny plums, edamame
L: white bean stew with veggies
S: popcorn
D: blueberry pancakes with veggie sausage, tomato & cucumber salad

Not enough veggies here. I tend to go heavy on the low GI fruit this time of year because the local orchards are going crazy :)
exercise: bike, in or out depending on the weather

Ruthxxx
07-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Phase II - as much as possible!

B. Fibre 1, ff yogurt, raspberries :lol:
L. Greek salad (feta, cukes, tomatoes, onions on lettuce) Ryvita
S. glass of skim milk and 8 baby carrots (doing Fair registration)
D. fajitas - leftover steak, peppers, onions and whatever

cottagebythesea
07-21-2010, 07:53 AM
Phase 2 -

B. oatmeal w/almond milk, slivered almonds, & blueberries
L. veggie loaded salad w/avocado, chickpeas & goat cheese
S. Greek yogurt and a peach
D. either spaghetti squash w/marinara sauce OR baked zucchini topped with ricotta and marinara
S. bean brownie w/ff Cool Whip

I have a bag of chia stashed in the freezer that I keep forgetting about. I like to add it to yogurt to bulk it up and put it in smoothies. I think I'll add some to some Crystal Light pink lemonade to take with me today. :)

zeffryn
07-21-2010, 08:11 AM
B: smoothie (frozen mixed berries, whey, almond milk, 2 handfuls of spinach); coffee
workout: at least 60 minutes cardio at varying paces/inclines, 30 mins. weight training (kettle bells and balance ball)
L: greens & beans (chickpeas + kale), raw bell pepper strips, chia iced tea (filling!!)
S: greek yogurt, almonds
D: crockpot butternut squash lasagna (i'll post the recipe if it works out - it's just a variation of the phase 2 posted butternut lasagna), roasted broccoli and cauliflower

going to pick up some chia seeds today.

CyndiM
07-21-2010, 08:47 AM
I like the idea of adding spinach to my smoothie but it makes it extra gritty (already a bit of an issue with hemp powders). Any tips from you smoothie drinkers (other than buy the $400 blender!)?

Schmoodle
07-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Phase I -
B - veggie and salsa omelet
S - mozzarella cheese stick
L - leftover London broil over big salad
S - chocolate cheesecake smoothie
D - cheeseburger patty, salad,
S - ricotta dessert

This menu is not inspiring me. We'll see.

zeffryn
07-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Cyndi - I don't have an issue with grittiness from the spinach. Do you use ice? I usually add my (frozen) berries, whey powder, liquid and spinach and blend the heck out of it for a bit, then throw in a handful of ice to break it down even further. It's super frothy and liquidy when I'm done. It might just be that I'm used to it by now, but I don't really notice any grittiness.

and yes, i totally want a vitamix. :)

CyndiM
07-21-2010, 09:39 AM
I haven't been using ice or frozen fruit because everything is fresh now. I'll try that tomorrow and report back. Thanks :)

I need to try this chocolate cheesecake smoothie everyone is making.

zeffryn
07-21-2010, 10:04 AM
When I use fresh fruit, I definitely use ice to break everything up and add a bit more volume.

on the chocolate cheesecake smoothie...i find it almost salty? i made it again yesterday and found that rinsing the cottage cheese made it much better. Also, the little bit of splenda or agave is pretty critical. Other than that, it is a good smoothie.

Schmoodle
07-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Cyndi, I can't believe you haven't made the cc smoothie yet. I don't rinse and I don't find it salty. I actually have added less and less sweetener until now I just add a tiny bit.
As long as we're talking blenders, does anyone have a recommendation? I used to have a cheap-o blender that worked great. Then I bought an expensive kitchen aid that worked terribly, and now I have a Hamilton Beach that worked okay at first, but now I have big ice chunks and only the bottom layer blending, so I have to stir. I don't want to spend a fortune though (no vita mix for me wither). If this is considered chatter, feel free to move me.

zeffryn
07-21-2010, 01:01 PM
schmoo, i would definitely NOT recommend a black and decker. We went through 4! of them before I finally just asked for a refund. We have a Michael Graves one right now that has lasted us 3-4 years without a problem. I use it very frequently - at least twice a day every day. It powers through ice pretty easily.

You don't find the cheesecake smoothie kind of salty? Maybe it's my cottage cheese. I'll try a different brand.

Drinking an iced herbal tea with chia gel. Kind of reminds me of the old soda "Orbitz"...I don't know if that is a good thing.

Fat Melanie
07-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Cute link, Emma! Lol

B- 2 eggs scrambled, 1 teaspoon smart balance.
Cup of lentil/tomato/spinach/veggie soup

S- Fresh raw red pepper strips with garlic hummus

L- Salad with tons of lettuce, with chicken, tomatoes, peppers, fat free cheddar, 1 slice of crispy turkey bacon, ranch. (Chicken bacon ranch salad!)

D- Almond/Whole wheat flour baked "fried shrimp" (will post if it turns out well)
Leftover Lentil/tomato/spinach/veggie soup.
1/4 cup leftover quick and easy chicken salad I had made for my son: canned chicken breast mixed with ranch dressing

D- Bean brownie, fat free cottage cheese and fat free milk

Gotta run to the store and get some more FF milk and cottage cheese. I'm all out and I adore eating plain lowfat cottage cheese.

Edit, I had a lovely chicken-bacon-ranch salad instead of chicken/green goddess. Also editing because I changed up my dinner a little.

EmmaD
07-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Phase 2
Cleaning out the fridge day...

B- "muffin in a minute" with mixed berries baked in (I sense a rut coming on - I love these!)
L - taco salad with refried beans, a little cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, lime juice, a dollop of sour cream and salsa.
S - carrots/celery/pepper slices/broccoli/cauliflower with hummus. A glass of low sodium vegetable juice.
D - whole wheat/buckwheat crepes (haven't made this since I started South Beach - I'm thinking this recipe (http://www.phamfatale.com/id_1359/title_French-Buckwheat-Crepe-Recipe-Galette-de-Sarrasin-ou-Galette-de-Ble-Noir/) would work) with cheese, mushrooms and onions, side dishes of sauteed zucchini with almonds and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, and steamed beets
dessert - nonfat Greek yogurt.

According to my calculations: 1467 calories, 27 g fiber, 29% carbs 44% fat 27% protein grrrrrr.... too much fat again, too much saturated at least. I may try to cut back on the cheese with the crepes tonight - I calculated for 2 crepes with 1 oz cheese each)

cottagebythesea
07-21-2010, 08:47 PM
I've never had that chocolate cheesecake smoothie either. Now you all have me curious enough to try it.

My blender is a Braun, and I love it. It was a Consumer Reports best buy, and it lives up to it's recommendation.

hope for recovery
07-22-2010, 06:34 AM
Hi chicks, hows today going? I am on day 6, phase 1 and I had scrambled eggs mixed with yoghurt, dill, cucumber and walnuts for breakfast. I am having some chilli con carne with green beans for lunch. Going out for dinner for a meal so I don't know what will be there. But you know what, for first time ever I am not scared of what is going to be served, I have faith in my higher power and I know that just today I will eat what I am meant to.

I looked at myself in a mirror yesterday and I thought my skin looks nice, then i actually got complimented on my make up free skin. For first time ever I will have a compliment about my skin! it is usually covered in pimples and spots and I blame sugar for that. Now that sugar is gone it is so much better. Anyone had that as well?

femmecreole
07-22-2010, 07:31 AM
1 Smoothie: Kale, carrots, ginger,acai puree, banana, strawberries,soy milk,green powder, whey protein, ice (btw on the smoothies...I broke down and bought a vitamix a few months ago...way too expensive but worth every penny. I use it a few times a day)
2) turkey/spinach on flatout with chipotle laughing cow and grapes
3) seared tuna salad on spinach with pecans and raisins (eating this out at restaurant tonight..I'll be too tired to cook!)
4)of course sipping those chia seeds all day long in water and raspberry tea.

Schmoodle
07-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Hmmm, travel day today, these are tough.

B: eggs and salsa
S: mozzarella cheese stick, tomato juice
L: ???
S: skim latte
D: cabbage rolls
D: greek yogurt with almonds

zeffryn
07-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Cat - I must find those chipotle laughing cows. I keep hearing people talk about them. I also have a vitamix on my christmas list.

--

B: smoothie (spinach, kale, green apple, ginger, green powder, whey powder)
L: thai chicken lettuce wrap, cucumbers and carrots
S: chia tea
D: shrimp with fresh tomatoes and basil, steamed kale, asparagus
workout: 60 mins. cardio, 30 mins. weights

Fat Melanie
07-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Hope for recovery, since you are in the UK, I imagine you already had dinner by now, but I wanted to say, I wish you the best of luck, and I KNOW you can make the right choices. Let us know how it went. Re: skin, I would would guess that since you're ridding your body of toxins, that would help with your skin, help clear out the pores? Since everything about the SBD is good for your body, and the skin is part of your body, it makes sense to me that your skin would start to be at its best as well as everything else.

Brunched it today: 2 fluffy whole-wheat/cottagecheese/flax pancakes, with SF syrup

S- green pepper with garlic hummus

D- chicken salad with either mayo or ranch, veggies, on lettuce.
Cup of leftover lentil-veggie soup.
Collard or mustard greens dressed with vinegar.

D- Bean brownie with FF cottage cheese, 1 cup milk.

OnaMi
07-22-2010, 05:23 PM
B-2pc trky bacon,1 1/2 c ff milk. cup v8,1 egg white
S-6oz grilled fish w/lf dressing
L-6oz grilled fish,salad w/2 egg whites,lf dressing
D-30 cashews,1c ff milk

EmmaD
07-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Oh man, my whole wheat buckwheat crepes were pretty much a disaster last night. I think I'll post separately about that. But because I didn't eat a real dinner, I got really binge-y later and consumed a lot more .... Crap, yes, there I said it, crap, than I planned for. Oh well, today is another day.

Phase 2

B - "Muffin in a Minute" with wild blueberries, decaf green/white tea
L - Lentil salad (with diced red and orange peppers, beautiful), sprinkled with feta cheese and a couple of olives, glass of unsweetened soy milk
S - hard boiled egg, carrots/celery with hummus
D - Grilled ahi tuna steaks, mashed cauliflower, tomato salad
dessert - nonfat Greek yogurt

1059 calories! (too low... I'll add something else. Oh, I know - almonds) so now it's 1223 calories. 40 g fiber! 29% carbs 41% fat (mostly monounsaturated) 30% protein.

murphmitch
07-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Phase II (My maintenance phase)

B: V8, cinnamon omelet
S: RF String cheese
L: Carrots, hummus, Tall skinny latte (Didn't get a real protein)
D: Black beans, salsa, roasted veggies with fresh parmesan
S: Almond butter

zeffryn
07-23-2010, 08:14 AM
B: smoothie of some sort (spinach, kale, greens powder, banana, berries, almond milk, whey)
workout
L: whipped and HUNGRY after workout: repeat of breakfast + chia tea
S: apple, chia tea
D: grilled shrimp skewers with tomatoes and zucchini

EmmaD
07-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Busy day, so it's mostly going to be a repeat of yesterday:

Phase 2

B - "Muffin in a Minute" with wild blueberries, decaf green/white tea
L - Lentil salad (with diced red and orange peppers, green onion and chopped Kalamata olives), some leftover tuna from last night
s1 - glass of unsweetened soy milk, 1 oz raw almonds
S2 - hard boiled egg, carrots/celery with hummus
D - Grilled tofu with a big green salad, steamed broccoli, sliced tomatoes
dessert - nonfat Greek yogurt

1391 cal, 43 g fiber; 27% carbs, 45% fat, 28% protein

Fat Melanie
07-23-2010, 07:24 PM
B- 2 slices turkey bacon (1 teaspoon smart balance)
2 eggs scrambled
2 cups milk

S- cucumber slices with garlic hummus
v8 juice

L- "Imitation Taco Bell Pintos and Cheese" - (fat free can of Taco Bell brand refried beans, with fat-free cheddar)

D- Big salad with ham cubes, hard boiled egg, ranch, veggies
Cup lentil soup
Cut-up green/red pepper slices

D- bean brownie smeared with SF natural PB

(Yum, the bean brownies are delicious as they are, but OMG so delicious with a smear of Smucker's SF natural PB on top like 'icing', had that last night which I forgot to mark on my menu because it was a spur of the moment thing. It's to die for, it really hit the spot.)

Just got done making a big pitcher of lemonade, with real lemon juice and Nevella sweetener (sucralose like Splenda, but has added probiotics or something or the other. I only bought it because it was cheaper. I can get my probiotics from yogurts! But it's really good though. Just thought I'd mention that in case anyone's looking for some beverage or sweetener ideas.)

femmecreole
07-23-2010, 08:49 PM
1) Green/Fruit smoothie
2) Turkey and Spinach Salad with vidalia onion vinegarette dressing
3) Went to a mexican restaurant and got grilled shrimp. It came with rice, but I asked them to double the steamed veggies instead. yum
4) Some kind of fruit sorbet or just fruit...not sure yet.

zeffryn
07-24-2010, 09:44 AM
ugh. bloaty this morning. last night, DH and I ended up going to a restaurant instead of eating at home. Everything I ate was OP, just very salty. My fingers are sausages.

--

B: green smoothie
L: greek yogurt, fruit salad, almonds
D: catfish and shrimp courtbouillion, brown rice (it's a birthday party), salad

femmecreole
07-24-2010, 10:08 AM
zeff, I was there with you on the bloaty yesterday. Between the heat and eating some cashews and drinking tons of water, I was a balloon last night...ok today though! Coutbouillion!!!! That's love!! 3 of your bites go to me!!

1)Green/Fruit smoothie (hemp powder,green powder, soy milk, kale, a few baby carrots, blueberries, strawberries, chia gel, 1/2 banana, ginger root, and lots of ice)
2) Salad made out of whatever is in the fridge
3) Going to a party, bringing cracked wheat salad and will indulge in a little wine
4) At least 72 oz of water to continue de-bloating.

Fat Melanie
07-24-2010, 05:46 PM
B- 2 eggs scrambled,2 slices turkey bacon
2 cups FF milk

L- "Taco Bell Pintos & Cheese" - (can Fat free Taco Bell refried beans with Fat-Free Cheese)

S- Whole red bell pepper cut into strips, with SF natural PB

D- Whole wheat/cottage cheese pancakes with SF syrup
Eggs & Cheese
Mustard greens with vinegar

D- SF fudgesicle

Not enough vegetables. I was planning on going grocery shopping today but couldn't, so have planned for tomorrow. Have ran low on veggies and stuff for salad. Also ran low on lean proteins in the freezer and reduced fat cheeses, so gotta go stock up for the week tomorrow.

zeffryn
07-25-2010, 12:09 PM
cat, i'm still bloaty this morning even after a lot of water yesterday. i'm hoping that the same today, plus watching my sodium will help tomorrow. this humidity is killer. the courtbouillion was amazing. i was quite conservative with my portion, so I savored every bite. yum.

b: green smoothie, water water water
l: chicken salad, kale chips
s: greek yogurt, blueberries
d: tbd. family is having lasagna, i might end up having another green smoothie.

Fat Melanie
07-25-2010, 05:53 PM
B- 1 whole wheat/cottage cheese panckage
3 eggs scrambled

L- Cup FF cottage cheese with 1/2 cup of drained canned pears, peaches, and grapes (canned in their own juices).

D- Have to head out to Walmart, if my husband would just hurry up at his computer shop. Grr.

I do not like fruits in a can. I'm ready for some fresh grapes! Yum!