Weight Loss Support - So I saw a picture of myself (you know how that goes)

NiteNicole
07-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Yikes. It's amazing that even though I never ever for even one second don't feel fat, I am still surprised when I see an actual photograph taken in an unguarded moment. It's on facebook (posted by someone else) right now and my initial reaction was to ask my friend to take it down but ya know what? That's what I look like. The only person surprised by that picture is me.

I have been sitting around feeling sorry for myself for weeks, months, YEARS and making excuses as to why I can't start today or forgetting that I had intentions of starting today but oh wait, I forgot, how did those pancakes get in my mouth? It's just time. I saw a photo of myself in my own home and didn't RECOGNIZE myself for a split second. I thought, WOW. That chick is FAT. Gulp. And she's wearing my clothes.

I can not live at this weight for even one more day. I think I have finally reached the tipping point. I have been saying for years - I wish I could quit fast food,junk food,Diet Coke,and just plain overeating the same way I quit smoking: without any regret, without looking back, and without missing it for even a moment. The smell now gags me and when I see other people huddled up outside smoking, I don't envy them. I think how much it must suck to have to find a place to stand in the cold or the rain or the heat just to smoke. I just totally lost any desire for it and one day started thinking of myself as a non smoker and that was it. I'll never go back. I had that one experience that was a turning point and I never gave it a second thought. Addiction dead.

Before I quit smoking, I always thought that "one day" I would quit and it would suck. I would not smoke, but I would go on wanting to forever and ever and life would be one long white-knuckle drag with no joy forever. I mean, THAT is how much I liked smoking (you must like something if you do it 20+ times a day) and that has kind of been my thinking all along with trying to lose weight: that one day I would just screw up my courage and stop having stuff I love and life would be one long joyless slog forever and ever but at least I would be thin. I think that picture, seeing what all my bad habits are DOING to me, has finally tipped things in another direction. I think I want to NOT look like this WAY more than I want to eat any amount of just about anything you can think of. I hope this is my "quit" moment and just like with smoking, I have found that visual that will see me through.

I think I can finally see that the momentary joy of eating that cheeseburger (or that 4th slice of home made bread) is never going to be as enjoyable as having a normal life. I think I'm ready to let go.

Nada
07-19-2010, 11:41 AM
You're in the right place for support. Get a copy of that picture and stick it in a drawer, or your wallet.

JayEll
07-19-2010, 11:43 AM
I think I'm ready to let go.

I hope you are--I really hope you are! I think you should print that photo and keep it somewhere. Not where everyone can see it, but where you can go and look at it every time you get the idea that a Coke and some horrible fast food chunk of carb/fat/salt is what you need.

I promise you that you'll get over wanting those junk foods the way you do now--but to have that happen you'll have to stop eating them, at least for the present, just as you had to not pick up a cigarette to quit smoking.

I quit smoking, too, and I know just how hard it is--but I also know that I wouldn't have been able to quit if I had cheated and smoked "just one or two on the weekend" or some such nonsense.

That's why when I see someone post that they cheated on their weight loss program by eating crap food, I feel so sorry for them. It could take them days and days to stop craving it again.

Hang in there. Come up with a realistic program for food that you can follow without feeling deprived. Even just having hamburgers at home using whole grain bread and lean ground beef would be better than anything you can get at a fast food place.

Good luck!
Jay

hairchick40v
07-19-2010, 11:46 AM
OMG!!! I could have written that myself!! I too, have been taken aback by pics of myself.. I look like jabba the hut in a pic, and I think WTH, when did I start lookin like that??? I also quit smoking almost 9 years ago and haven't looked back!! It's crazy how you can be soo controlled in one area and so outta control in others!!! I am with ya!!!

kaygee41
07-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Different circumstances, but I had to come to that tipping point for myself also. I haven't been on here long at all, but it's already proven to be a great place for support and inspiration. Good luck! :)

VicSin13
07-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Even just having hamburgers at home using whole grain bread and lean ground beef would be better than anything you can get at a fast food place.

I have to agree! I thought I was doomed when i started this diet, but...we got super extra lean ground beef, (I think its like 3% fat) Whole weat buns, and low fat cheese. After a few days of chicken and fish, that burger tasted just as good as a McDonald's burger would have, and it wasn't even half as heavy in my stomach! I actually even made a few onion tots for myself and still stayed under my allowable calories, I felt positively satisfied, and not guilty! The first few days are really murder if you are used to eating what you want, when you want, and how you want, but the way you feel a few days after those first few days, totally beats the way that burger tastes, or how it makes you feel after you taste it! Stick with it, there are plenty of people here to support/help/and suffer along with! We can all do this and reach our goals! :hug: :carrot:

NiteNicole
07-19-2010, 11:57 AM
I promise you that you'll get over wanting those junk foods the way you do now--but to have that happen you'll have to stop eating them, at least for the present, just as you had to not pick up a cigarette to quit smoking.

I quit smoking, too, and I know just how hard it is--but I also know that I wouldn't have been able to quit if I had cheated and smoked "just one or two on the weekend" or some such nonsense.

I think you're so right. With smoking, I had a kind of combined and complicated way of looking at it: I'm an adult. I CAN HAVE anything I want. No one else is making me quit, it is my decision and if I ever really really want to, I can smoke. At the same time, I had an uncle who lost part of his FACE and THROAT to cancer. He was a long time smoker. To see this big, strong person become just a shell of himself (he did pass away, it was a long and torturous two years) and knowing that if I continued smoking, I was possibly setting myself up for something similar? No, thank you.

As for my issues with food, I think I can finally see on the outside just what it is doing to me. No one my size, who eats what I eat and in these amounts can possibly be healthy (disclaimer: I am sure there are overweight fat people, I am aware of the fat acceptance movement, and I am sure there are some people who mysteriously weigh nearly 300 pounds despite getting regular diligent exercise and eating a strictly healthy diet. Let me assure you, I'm not one of them), and combined with my largely sedentary lifestyle I am killing myself. I have a four year old and I'm 37. If I die young, I am going to miss out on her life and leave her without a mother. I am also her biggest influence so if I want her to be fat and unhappy then I am on the right track.

It's like a million thoughts just finally fell into place in my head and I get it. There is no fast food drive through in the world that's worth dying for. I am sure lots of people can continue to lose weight and have a little bit of fast food or the odd deep fried whatever, but I think I'm not one of them. I'm still an adult and I can still have whatever I want, but I think there are some things that just don't belong in my life anymore. I think they misery of what they are doing to me FINALLY outweighs how good they might taste (or how easy they are to acquire).

I realize that weight loss is different for everyone and for lots of people, it's not all or nothing and I'm not looking to argue about that. I think I've finally had my food equivalent of my quit-smoking moment. I have been trying FOR YEARS to figure out how to lose weight with "moderation" - maybe "moderation" was never the way for me.

1curvyvixen
07-19-2010, 12:01 PM
I know what you mean @ Nite..the weight creeped up on me over the past year...I saw a picture of me tagged on fb and i was devastated. Ive always avoided scales since i hit the 200 mark so i didnt know how much i weighed @ that time. i decided to get on the scale at work and omg was i not 232?? the highest point of my life...I then got off my behind and did something about it..as suggested above..print that picture and put it on your mirror!! that I did. also write little notes to yourself why you do not want to go back to where you were! and lastly..rely on others for support.thats why we all are here :)

SpoonSockSpork12
07-19-2010, 12:28 PM
That's what I look like. The only person surprised by that picture is me.

This hit home! :hug:

Onederchic
07-19-2010, 12:50 PM
I gave up smoking while losing weight and never packed on a pound from it because I had finally decided I would not let food rule me and my health any longer so I don't.

Good for you on quitting smoking. You CAN lose weight and we are here to cheer you on to victory :cheer:

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress :hug:

Les
07-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Well, the picture thing, ahmm... yes, me to.
Also stopped smoking from one day to the other (used to smoke up to 3 packs a day), and always wished it would work that way with food, but food you can not stop so there I had it. Back to the picture thing...... yickes!!!

I started a few weeks ago and lost weight fast. Currently I am very slow, but just returned from vacation in Germany and Italy, so I lost only about 1.5 to two pounds in two weeks, but I lost.

I hope to loose my pounds faster again, and actually start liking more fruits and veggies.
I am very convinced that you and I can do it, after all we did show will power :)

Good luck to you!!!!!!

NiteNicole
07-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks so much for all the well wishes and your success stories!

One thing I do have to my advantage - I actually really REALLY like fruit and vegetables. I tend to like healthier, whole foods. I am just very very LAZY and fall into the convenience trap (which is also the expensive trap) quite a lot. Give me a lightly braised endive and I'm in heaven. Hook me up with a baked apple with a little cinnamon and I'm thrilled. Oatmeal, the real kind, might be my favorite food. I love trying new fruits and vegetables and I especially love finding them locally. I get excited when I find a farmer's market and it's not for the scones and butter! I just so often fall back on...oh well, it's just so much easier to drive through. LAZY. I have to kick LAZY in the rear.

ORSewmama
07-19-2010, 02:15 PM
I can so relate to you - I was sort of waffling about getting healthy a few months back (december, actually), knowing it would be a lot of work, and blah blah blah. Then I went to a public meeting for my work, and there was a semi back/profile of me - that really showed me how HUGE my butt was (being a wonderfully pear shaped woman anyway). It was in the NEWSPAPER. I was mortified. It's there for all of history to see when they are researching power transmission lines - OMG. It did put me over the edge, and I have changed my life.

And yes, this will be like smoking, I have such confidence in you. I know we were stuck stopping at a McD for the kids a few weeks ago, and you know what? There was nothing that I wanted. I used to pull up to McD trying to decide which fat laden thing I would get, because we do rarely get fast food anyway, but this time I just looked over the menu disgusted. I did eat because I was hungry and it was the only option, but even at that - it wasn't good. It was food, it filled my belly for not an insane amount of calories - but it was far from good. I feel the same way now about soda and other things that used to tempt me.

I wish you the best of luck!

NiteNicole
07-19-2010, 03:06 PM
ORSewmama, thanks so much for responding. Our starting weight is similar...it's so encouraging to see other people who were around my weight who are losing it. I can remember being 160 and thinking I was just the fattest person in the whole world and here I am 120 pounds heavier than that? That's a LOT of weight to lose. I'm glad to know it can be done!

And at least I wasn't in the paper! Just on facebook. I didn't ask them to take it down but I untagged myself faster than you can say "google."

SCraver
07-19-2010, 04:49 PM
One thing I do have to my advantage - I actually really REALLY like fruit and vegetables. I tend to like healthier, whole foods. I am just very very LAZY and fall into the convenience trap (which is also the expensive trap) quite a lot.

I am a woman of convenience... Ziploc Zip 'n Steams (http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/ZipSteamMicrowaveCookingBags.aspx?SizeName=Medium) are my friend! I have veggies EVERY day (I think I once went an entire year without eating veggies...). I just stuff them in a bag and toss them in the microwave. You can add spices, seasonings, etc.

ORSewmama
07-19-2010, 05:40 PM
ORSewmama, thanks so much for responding. Our starting weight is similar...it's so encouraging to see other people who were around my weight who are losing it. I can remember being 160 and thinking I was just the fattest person in the whole world and here I am 120 pounds heavier than that? That's a LOT of weight to lose. I'm glad to know it can be done!

And at least I wasn't in the paper! Just on facebook. I didn't ask them to take it down but I untagged myself faster than you can say "google."

LOL! The only saving grace was that my name wasn't in the paper under the photo!! Although my distinctive purse I was carrying - totally gave me away to anyone who knew me. But like you said, that's how I looked.

And here's another dirty secret - I went and drug out the jeans I was wearing in that pic in the paper (which I saved on my computer to motivate me should I ever need it that badly) - and put them on again today just to verify. They're huge!

It's taken me awhile to lose this much, but I can feel my attitudes and habits changing - you can so do this!

Cglasscock1
07-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Nicole,
When you are serious about losing weight, there are some tools that you can learn to make it easier. The Beck Diet Solution books are not a diet but a primer on how to go about losing weight. I recommend it for newbies.
There is also an entire thread on 3FC that uses the Beck solution. Once you get the hang of losing weight, you will not want to go back to your old ways ... you will be too happy with your progress. Good luck and we will be looking for your posts.

Zing
07-19-2010, 06:35 PM
This thread just inspired me to go take a look at my facebook photos. Even the ones after losing 50 pounds are pretty horrific. Definitely a lot of motivation material there. Once I get to goal I'm going to be posting a lot of photos to make up for them and show off I think!

NiteNicole
07-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks so much for all the advice and encouragement. I'm taking notes!

Zing! I'm right there with you- I can't remember the last time I saw a picture of myself and thought oh, that's a good one. I have maybe three pictures of myself with my daughter - and she's 4.5. I'm so embarrassed to be in pictures that I've edited myself out of her life. That is NUTS. We spend every minute of every day together but if, God forbid, something happened to me...would she even remember me? She certainly wouldn't have any pictures to go by. One of my BIG GOALS is to feel up to having FAMILY portraits done at Christmas. We always have the best Christmas card pics...of our daughter and dog. But the parents are never in them. I am really really jealous of people who don't have to think about this kind of stuff!

Natalia
07-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks so much for all the advice and encouragement. I'm taking notes!

Zing! I'm right there with you- I can't remember the last time I saw a picture of myself and thought oh, that's a good one. I have maybe three pictures of myself with my daughter - and she's 4.5. I'm so embarrassed to be in pictures that I've edited myself out of her life. That is NUTS. We spend every minute of every day together but if, God forbid, something happened to me...would she even remember me? She certainly wouldn't have any pictures to go by. One of my BIG GOALS is to feel up to having FAMILY portraits done at Christmas. We always have the best Christmas card pics...of our daughter and dog. But the parents are never in them. I am really really jealous of people who don't have to think about this kind of stuff!

OMG I could have written this exact post! I am camera phobic.. refuse to have my pic taken. I have exactly zero pics of myself with my 2.5 yo, and one pic of me and ds7 (and even THAT was for a photo collage for Father's Day for my dad bc he begged for it.. ) ridiculous. I too look forawrd to the day that I feel comfortable (or at least not panic-stricken ) of having family portraits done.

It's so weird bc obviously that's how I truly look, but I just cannot see it. It's like I have body dysmorphia, in reverse. Now I can see the girth and the rolls, but my face doesn't look nearly so fat in the mirror as in photos. ?

I've never been very photogenic, maybe that's part of the problem. And I'm too self-critical.

kendra
07-20-2010, 12:12 AM
:hug: I understand where you are coming from because i had the same thing happen. I didn't recognize myself at all in a picture. That was the breaking point for myself.

Just remember to take it 1 day at a time, 1 pound at a time. You can do this!

Renwomin
07-20-2010, 11:22 AM
One thing I do have to my advantage - I actually really REALLY like fruit and vegetables. I tend to like healthier, whole foods. I am just very very LAZY and fall into the convenience trap (which is also the expensive trap) quite a lot. Give me a lightly braised endive and I'm in heaven. Hook me up with a baked apple with a little cinnamon and I'm thrilled. Oatmeal, the real kind, might be my favorite food. I love trying new fruits and vegetables and I especially love finding them locally. I get excited when I find a farmer's market and it's not for the scones and butter! I just so often fall back on...oh well, it's just so much easier to drive through. LAZY. I have to kick LAZY in the rear.

This whole thread has hit a nerve or two. Pictures always get me when I'm heavy. I can go by day to day with my head in the sand regarding how I look and then BLAM I see a photo and it hits me. I too don't like seeing photos of myself, but the irony is that people see me every day. The only thing that not having photos of myself does is help me to stay in denial.

Recently I've felt pretty good about my body after losing 47 pounds until I took the dreaded photos. I'm not getting as thin as I thought I was. I want to keep my curves, but I'm not happy with my body at this size! Why should I settle?

I too like vegetables and fruits and I didn't even like most of the fatty cr*p I was shoving into my mouth. But I also was overeating the "good" stuff too. My pantry had very little "junk" in it. Unfortunately, far too often I would use the excuse that I was too tired or busy to cook for myself. Heck, I'm starting to use that excuse again even though what I allow myself to get is different. Still more calories than what I would be making at home!

I really wish you the best of luck. I know you can do this!

Zing
07-20-2010, 07:03 PM
I don't think I've quite become camera phobic, but I do try and make sure it's from the waist up. Even then I still tend to get annoyed easily. Had a really nasty girl at university who retagged me in photos I had untagged myself from after telling her I didn't like them!
While I've not had many opportunities to be photographed this year, when I have seen them I've been annoyed because I can feel and see differences, but I still look massive on film!
I'm graduating in a couple of months so I really want to look great for some photos so they can go in the local paper (they always do that around here). I won't be at goal or anything, but it's a big enough deal to me that I want people to be reading the paper and go "Wow, Zing looks really good these days! So much for the fat girl from school!"
I hadn't even thought until this thread that that's how people see me. A very sobering thought, and makes me very determined to change. You've really hit a nerve Nicole I think, as Renwomin was saying. But that's a good thing!

munchievictim
07-20-2010, 09:34 PM
UGH...I know right?
I went on vacation with my boyfriend last month, and not only was it a HUGE deal for me to get a bathing suit (i went swimming in the ocean in my clothes before I finally bought a suit, three days into our vacation).
THEN my boyfriend wants to take some pictures of me walking down to the water and everything like that. Oh my god. I was 50 feet away from him and you could STILL see the ripples and mountains and valleys of cellulite in my thunder thighs. I wanted to throw up or cry. Now, the camera was on the sports setting accidentally, which captures motion in perfectly sharp detail... lol. So I didn't even have the benefit of blur.
There are hardly any pictures of me in our family photo albums between about 9th grade and now. I've shied away from the camera my whole life for exactly the same reason--it shows me in fine detail and vivid color the thing which I put so much energy into ignoring and denying--my big fat butt. LOL.
But, it's very true that everyone else sees us this way all day long, it's just a culture shock to have to look at unflattering pictures of yourself. There's no denying that!
I sympathize heartily. I've gained about 20 pounds just in the past couple of months and I'm sooo miserable. It's definitely time to put the foot down. I know I can do it, in fact just being back on the wagon this week has shown results and shown me that the thought of eating the odd deep fried item makes me nauseous!
I am totally with you on all of this. It sucks, and we all hate it, but the only thing to do is make this what you're doing now. Weight loss has to change your life, and kind of absorb your life i think, at least for a little while. I told myself today, loss doesn't come from motivation or having that magic moment (I have wished for this for years, and had many a magic moment, and regained again and again--though the moment of clarity does really really help you settle your priorities down right!), it comes from sticking to it and following a routine. That's the hardest part for me, sticking to the routine and telling myself no when I WANT a Wendy's cheeseburger soooo bad I can't stand it. It's hard for me to tell myself that the cheeseburger has to wait, but it's easier when i tell myself I just have to wait til tomorrow. When tomorrow comes, I tell myself I just have to wait one more day, and so on and so forth. But the trick is, not the bend to the will of the cheeseburger :D That cheeseburger is worthless compared to our health, our happiness, our self-esteem, our quality of life. The toughest and most important thing for me is keeping weight loss in perspective, as my forefront concern for the time being.
We all deserve this, it's the best gift we can give ourselves. It's hard, and it's white-knuckle for awhile, but I know at least in my case, I soon begin to realize how rewarding it is to stick with it, and these food addictions and compulsive binges that rule my life when I'm off the wagon will fade away as I zoom out and get my life back in the right perspective.
The support here on 3FC is one of your best tools. Whenever I come here diligently, I lose weight. Hopefully here you can find the understanding and the laughter and the perspective that you need on this long, beautiful, rewarding journey.
I wish you luck and resolve! PM me if you ever need to vent. Haha. :)

CurlzQ
07-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Thats what got me too. I was looking at pictures on Facebook after a friend's bday party. I was shocked at pictures of myself. Someone even left a comment that it was a really good picture of all three of us girls. I didn't see that....I was too mortified by how I looked. It was a real kick for me to move in the right direction.

You found a great place to get started and lots of support from people going through the same things. I've been here for a month and it's been fantastic.

Luna1982
07-21-2010, 01:10 AM
I think I may have found a method that works for me. Every time I take a trip overseas (which is not as often as I'd like) I kick a bad habit or start a good one. For example, when I studied in Mexico briefly, I quit smoking. My whole environment was changed, and I didn't know where to get cigarettes since they didn't have typical grocery stores in the small town we were in.

Then when I went to London, I started exercising. You kind of have to walk a lot if you're taking the tube as the main method of transportation. I lost 8 pounds there and vowed to make walking a new habit when I returned home. So far, so good. Changing your environment has proven to be very helpful, probably because I live alone and it's easy to hide all my bad habits and deeds from everyone.

blonie123
07-21-2010, 01:55 AM
OMG! I just asked someone to take down a pic of me on facebook! It was one of those tagged ones. I felt stupid even doing it, but the thought of people I hadn't seen in years seeing a picture of me like that-ahhh! (I am really selective about the ones I post.) However, she refused. She tried saying I looked good, blah blah blah! But, hey, it was some motivation. I joined this forum the same day! :)

Shmead
07-21-2010, 07:55 AM
She tried saying I looked good, blah blah blah! But, hey, it was some motivation. I joined this forum the same day! :)

Why do people think it's a compliment to reassure you that you look good in a picture you hate? Whenever someone says "God, I look terrible in this picture!", the proper response it "You're right, you do, you look much prettier than that, usually". I mean, they can see the picture. If they hate what they see, telling them "oh no, that's as good as you ever look" IS NOT BEING NICE.

synger
07-21-2010, 09:41 AM
My husband took a picture of me and my daughter hiking. Tilley hat, walking stick, hiking boots, and almost 300 pounds of ME. /shudder

I almost asked him to take it down from Facebook. But he's SO proud of me, and the fact that I'm moving, grooving, and losing. And it's actually a good "active" picture of me. So I'm letting it stay. I'm thinking that next year, we can do an "after" picture and compare the two!

SarahD140
07-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Your words really touched me. Your current weight was my highest and we are the same height. I know how you (may) feel, I could not stand photos of myself, and honestly I still can't.

You can walk away, feeling better and getting smaller is way better than a Burger King comma. (exhausted feeling after a king size #2)

You are worth the change and you can have healthy food that taste amazing. I can not wait to read more from you.

NiteNicole
07-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Sarah, 256 is my first goal! It's like talking to my future me! Thanks so much for posting, that's so fun to read this morning. I feel like it's my little "you can do it" message from the universe!

I think I'm finally at a point where I really get it - fast food, all of it, is just trash. I've read the books, I've looked at the conditions for the animals and even how the produce situation and it's just trash if not outright poison. I don't want it and I don't want my child growing up thinking that fast food is either "normal" or a treat so we just have to avoid it. We live so far from everything (grocery shopping, with driving, is a half-day affair), this is going to mean packing some of our own snacks and meals with us but that's fine.

Synger, I want to go hiking! A BIG goal for me is that I want to be what I call an Action Family! I want us to go hiking and do stuff outside. It's currently about 102F and the snakes are out in full force, but in the fall that's a big goal for me. I want us to hit one of the trails about an hour north of us. I am told there are waterfalls. Come on, you can't beat that.

Shmead and blonie, I don't know why people don't have better Facebook pic etiquette, period.

Luna, a million years ago I was an exchange student to Norway and I lost SO much weight. I wasn't even really overweight by much when I left, but when I came home it was the thinnest I've ever been in my life. A few months of boiled fish and potatoes and a LOT of walking will do that for ya. I wish I could cure my fat ills with travel now, but life, a four year old, and my little dog wouldn't be so happy (nevermind my husband).

Curlz, I think I've been knocking around this site for about ten years, if not more (I lost my old log in with my old email, I think). In that time I went from 230 to 284. Yikes. I've had a lot of ups and downs, but this is the first time I really feel like BING! I've seen the light and I GET IT.

Munchie, we try to get to the beach at least a few times a year with my daughter. I have a cute(ish) suit that I don't love being seen in, but I don't HATE it. I have a cute cover up. I can play with my daughter without being TOO self conscious but I draw the line at photos!!! You're a braver woman than I!

I told myself today, loss doesn't come from motivation or having that magic moment (I have wished for this for years, and had many a magic moment, and regained again and again--though the moment of clarity does really really help you settle your priorities down right!), it comes from sticking to it and following a routine.

I have a Dr. Phil quote from a million years ago (yeah, eye roll, is he even still on TV?): Success comes from doing it, even when you don't feel like it. I think that's particularly relevant to weight loss.

AING! Congratulations on graduating! That's wonderful! I'm sure you'll look great in your pictures!

I have a 20 year high school reunion coming up next year and I KNOW there will be a lot of pictures. I wanted to (and kind of did) cry when I saw the ones from our ten year. It was horrible. I don't really think anyone else cared about my 120 pound weight gain and if they did, they were nice enough not to mention it. Seeing the pictures on facebook, a LOT of people from my class have put on weight. It's crazy. What HAPPENED to us?

Renwomin, you make a good point. Maybe if we forced ourselves to be in the photos instead of avoiding them, we wouldn't have avoided dealing with the weight for so long.

Kendra, thanks for the encouragement! Good luck to you!

Natalia, I am not one of those people who lights up in photos either. I'm not photogenic, but I think part of it is that some people really get how to react to a camera and some of us don't. My daughter is a beautiful beautiful girl but when you take out a camera, she just goes flat. She doesn't focus, her eyes kind of lose their light. My niece sees a camera and LIGHTS UP. It's like she's just spotted her best friend in the whole world. On the rare occasion that my daughter is trying to make nice with the person taking the picture, her pictures are GREAT. They really capture how cute and funny and beautiful she is. When she's not interested, the pictures don't do her justice. So maybe in addition to losing weight, we just need some picture-taking instruction from our more photogenic friends? I want good pictures for once!!! I have five months to lose weight and practice for Christmas, I better get started.

Oh, and all this brings me back around to more photos I found - last Christmas. Ugh. I really can not have ONE MORE YEAR of me hiding out in the edges of the photos, trying not to get caught in the flash and looking like a fat little face on top of a big mountain of fat. It's just too sad. I hadn't looked at pics from last Christmas until today and yeah. Yikes. Never again. At the very least, someone remind me to sit up straight please?

Zing
07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Hehe, hold the congratulations for now! I'm currently struggling through the last few weeks of my masters thesis. Thinking of graduation is about the only motivation to keep typing!