Weight and Resistance Training - Fun with Kettlebells!

View Full Version : Fun with Kettlebells!

mezmerize
10-01-2008, 09:20 AM
I just purcashed a GoFit 7lbs kettlebell. It came with a gofit dvd and I also picked up a Go Fit Kettlebell The Iron Core Way Volume 2. The DVD was on clearence the Kettlebell wasn't. I want to tone my flabby arms and I am thinking this will be my start into weight lifting.
Ok so here's my question.
Is the 7 lbs to light. I looked at the others which happen to be on sale and passed them by because I thought they would be to heavy. I guess I was thinking in the lines of light weight more reps. I believe I read something in the lines of that once. I also don't know the workout with it and thought I couldn't do it anything heavy. Or do you think that I should take this one back and go heavier.

Nelli - This question is for you. (or anyone else with this dvd) I seen you have the above video. In both Volume 1 and 2. Since I only seen Volume 2. Do you think I'm setting myself up for disapoinment or will Volume 2 be fine for someone just starting?

Thanks in advanced everyone!!

nelie
10-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Volume 2 will be fine for starting. I'd recommend volume 1 as something to mix it up though.

As for 7 lbs, I think that is way too light, I didn't even know they had them that light. Some of the hardcore sites recommend 25 lbs or so as a starting weight for women. I don't though. I think the average woman should start with 15. I would take it back and look for a 15 lb weight. Kettlebells are different than weights and its a different type of movement and works different types of muscles. Its more of a cardio/weight workout.

nelie
11-05-2008, 02:44 PM
I've been meaning to post some stuff about kettlebells.

Couple things to address:

1) Where to buy kettlebells
You can go for the hardcore kettlebells which are good but expensive and shipping is generally expensive if you can't find good kettlebells in the store. Dragondoor.com seems to be the place for quality kettlebells in various KG sizes. I do not have any of their kettlebells so I can't speak personally for them.

Some cheap kettlebells aren't weighted properly. Also, some kettlebells are clearly designed for men with big hands as they seem to try to put quite a bit of weight into the handles making them thick and hard to hold. The best kettlebells I've found for the price are GoFit. I love GoFit products in general. You can find them at Target and other places like Dick's sporting goods. Amazon.com also sells them but shipping is a bit pricey.

2)What size of kettlebells to buy
Our body is composed of many muscles of various sizes. Slow-twitch, fast-twitch, small, large etc. Kettlebells are primarily designed to work the largest muscles of our body. Legs and back muscles are huge and can handle lots of weight and these are the muscles that kettlebells work primarily. That doesn't mean that other smaller muscles are ignored but they are worked secondarily.

So given the fact that kettlebells work the largest muscles of the body means that you can buy heavier kettlebells. I started with a 15lb kettlebell which I thought was a good introduction to using kettlebells. Primarily, I use a 20lb kettlebell and a 25lb kettlebell for my workouts. I also have a 35lb kettlebell and 45lb kettlebell which I use sometimes. For practical purposes, there is a point of diminishing returns based on size and most people probably would never use something more than a 45lb kettlebell and others may never touch a 45lb kettlebell. So if you are a woman and nervous about using kettlebells, I'd recommend 15 lbs as a starting weight. If you are a bit more confident, I'd say go with at least a 20 lb kettlebell. If you are a guy, I'd look at 25lb kettlebell. I don't think guys get nervous about flinging weights so I wouldn't make a recommendation for a nervous guy :)

3) Overall buying strategy for kettlebells
I have found that it is useful to have different kettlebell weights for different exercises. Advanced exercises may have you using 2 kettlebells of the same weight but most just require one kettlebell or can be modified for one kettlebell. I'm currently at the point where I want a second kettlebell of the same weight so I plan to buy a 20lb and a 25lb kettlebell soon. Later on down the road, I expect I'll want another 35lb kettlebell as well. Kettlebells are expensive though but so are weights in general. My advice is start small and grow your collection as your addiction grows :)

4) Kettlebells vs weight lifting
Kettlebells and weight lifting do share commonalities but kettlebells are a bit of a mix of weight lifting and cardio. Kettlebells can give you a total body cardiovascular workout. You will strengthen your muscles but you will also increase your cardiovascular endurance. Pavel Tsatsouline talks about effectiveness of kettlebells in his book "Enter the Kettlebell". He claims that there have been studies based on running where a group would run as part of their training and another group wouldn't run at all but instead did kettlebells. The group that just did kettlebells outran the group that ran for training. That is pretty amazing to think kettlebells can directly affect a totally different activity.

5) Workouts, books, etc
So I bought a couple DVDs and they were decent kettlebell workouts. I bought two books, "Enter the Kettlebell" and "From Russia with Love" which I think are outstanding books. The problem is none of that really helped me focus and create a plan of my own. The two books do have plans but well they didn't fit me. The books did help me develop my form though and I thought they were useful. I had been doing kettlebells intermittently but I didn't have a plan.

So someone sent me a link to Skwigg's blog on her experience with Kettlebelle Body. http://skwigg.tripod.com/blog/index.blog?from=20081022
I looked at the blog and looked at the program. It was a bit expensive for some ebooks. I decided to buy the program though and I have to say I'm glad I did. I finally have a plan that is highly customizeable and gives me different workout plans to do. To be fair, I've only done 3 workouts so far but I'm impressed. It gives me the ability to do my structured but customized workouts, watch what I want on tv and do it within my own timeframe.

6) Anything else ???

Not for now.

AppleOnYa76
01-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I am surprised to see this thread! My husband has been using kettlebells for years... Gosh, probably 9 or so years... Long before anyone we knew had ever heard of them.

My husband is the fittest, healthiest guy I know, and he got even fitter once he started using them. He is a firefighter in the military, and so he has to have a fit test every year. Every single year, he maxes out his fit test and scores 100 percent on everything (passing is 70). He used to be a runner and a swimmer and a cyclist, and he also weight lifts, but several years back, he stopped running and started replacing running with kettlebell workouts... Ever since then, he gets older and his 1.5 mile run time for the military test gets faster and faster!

I could go on and on about how much he loves his kettlebells. I used to work out with them, but I have not in a long, long time. My husband is planning a kettlebell workout for me right now because he is deploying and I will not have as much time to make it to the gym.

Dragondoor website has info. My husband also bought me a VHS tape (I am sure they sell it on DVD by now) called "From Russia With Love" that is a training tape for women who want to begin working out with KBs.

Jukie
01-24-2009, 11:47 PM
I agree that starting with a 15 lb is best. I actually think it is harder to use a too light of a weight, which may not seem to make sense, but the momentum of the movement is important, and you would not get that as much with 5 or 10 lbs.

I LOVE kettlebells! I have been using them for just over 2 years now (minus most of a recent pregnancy). It is just so time-efficient and fun. I like follow-along DVD workouts, and my favorite is The Busy Woman's Workout interval routines (tabata style - short and very intense). The Kettlebell Goddess Workout (from Dragon Door) was a good follow-along when I was learning the lifts. I resisted kettlebells for a while (DH had encouraged me to try them) because I just could not imagine "flinging" these iron balls around, but I quickly got over that and can't say enough about the great workout they provide!

ResilientWoman
10-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Just learned how to do Kettlebell Swings with my RKC coach, Jen Waak of Fundamentals (Move Fit Fun dot com). She's got some great articles including a weekly Geek Fit Friday that just make me laugh. I did Tabata Swings with a 15# dumbbell tonight and miss her Kettlebells in the gym. Saving up for my own soon. Is anyone on this forum using Kettlebells and doing Tabatas?

nelie
10-19-2009, 12:21 PM
I know a few people do tabatas but I haven't gotten on board. I use kettlebells off and on in my program. Right now I'm actively using kettlebells.

I have 15, 20 (2 each), 25, 35 and 45 lb kettlebells. They are from GoFit which you can find at Target, Dick's Sporting goods and other various sporting good stores.

myrrah
10-25-2009, 12:00 AM
Just wanted to say I had never heard of kettlebells til I read this thread the other day. I got curious, did some more research and got one! I started with 15 lbs, planned to start with 20 but I was surprised at how heavy 15lbs of iron actually is! I've done two short workouts with mine, including a 6 minute tabata today, and I am really really liking it.

ResilientWoman
11-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Just wanted to say I had never heard of kettlebells til I read this thread the other day. I got curious, did some more research and got one! I started with 15 lbs, planned to start with 20 but I was surprised at how heavy 15lbs of iron actually is! I've done two short workouts with mine, including a 6 minute tabata today, and I am really really liking it.

:turkey:

Started doing Tabata style thrusters several months ago (July), got great results and then got busy and quit including them. Been walking and running errands and not making enough time for myself. Weight loss slowed from 3 pounds per week to 2 pounds per week. Using dumbbells for now, plan to have my own 12 kg/26 lb Kettlebell in 2 weeks.

When I do them even twice a week, I can't believe the results: inches off my waist, lower blood pressure, slower resting heart rate, better sleep and the fat just melts off! I also do swings which can be done Tabata style.

Starting today I'm renewing my focus on my best heal-my-body tools, I'm setting a new mini-goal of 14 days of:

1. 4 minutes of Tabata style exercise (Thrusters or any of my other prescribed "homework" from my RKC instructor) once per day as a part of my hour workout.
2. No Gluten for 14 days. (Just in case it helps, I'm not sure I have a wheat/gluten issue.)
3. Continue my calorie goal of 1600-1800 calories per day making sure not to fall too low.

Really want to get under 300 by November 24. I'm going to log my Tabatas here after doing them daily and compare my weight loss results for the weeks preceding with the two weeks of Tabatas.

Stay Strong,
RW:cool:

Violin Jenn
11-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Thank you ladies for all the great info! I bought the current issue (Nov/Dec 2009) of Muscle and Fitness HERS and read an article they had about kettlebells and the exercises they had with the article look FUN! I can't afford a gym membership and currently workout with Jillian Michaels dvd's (she does a good job of kicking my a$$ and I heard she just wrapped filming a kettlebell dvd. I'll wait a bit and read the reviews first) and I want to add some kettlebells to the mix. I'll definately start with a 15lb'er.

Some folks have posted that they are using two. Is it better to start off buying two or buy maybe one 15lb and one 20lb?

Sorry if this is redundent.

ResilientWoman
11-16-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm new to Kettlebells, started in June 2009. Since I started tweeting about my experiences with them (all amazing: lower blood pressure, lower resting heart rate, increased agility and mobility, Increased strength and stamina, resolved pain issues that I had for years, I've been pain free for 5 months), I've noticed that the most respected and knowedgeable Kettlebell instructors fear/dread Jillian's poor technique demonstration. The consensus seems to be that someone is going to get hurt.

Instead I would like to recommend to you The Kettlebell Goddess by Andrea DuCane from Dragon Door and Lauren Brooks from On The Edge Fitness (dot) com has a video I've only heard rabid enthusiasm for The Ultimate Body Sculpt and Conditioning with Kettlebells. For those of us with a lot of physical issues, Andrea DuCane's Special Populations DVD is an amazing resource.

I started out with a 4 kg/9 lb but within a dozen weeks was into the 12 kg/26 pounds. I'm not far enough along in my rehab to need 2 but I could see owning a pair of 12 kg/26 lb and also a single 16 kg/35 lb. From what I understand 12 kg is standard for women. My trainer is way ahead of me as an RKC certified Kettlebell instructor and seems satisfied that she and most of her female clients are most likely to be most happy with those two: 12 kg and 16 kg. She can get local people Kettlebells without the shipping (which really knocks them out of my price range). It would be worth a $40-70 savings to have a free info meeting with your local RKC instructor, just to buy Kettlebells without having the shipping costs to consider. You can find out who is closest to you at Dragon Door (dot) com under Instructors.

Aclai4067
11-16-2009, 10:23 PM
So are kettlebells better than traditional dumbells? If so, why/what are the advantages?

nelie
11-16-2009, 10:57 PM
I personally wouldn't recommend 2 kettlebells of the same size until you start getting more advanced. A 20lb is a good starting weight unless you are absolute beginner to weights/nervous about kettlebells/etc then a 15lb is a good intro weight but I'd expect most women would find it too light in a short period of time.

ResilientWoman
11-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Completely unlike dumbbells, no comparison. Working out with an RKC certified Kettlebell instructor should be free for the first session and you can feel the difference yourself. They offer a ballistic workout, engaging your muscles head to toe while simultaneously giving you a great cardio workout.

Our moderator, Nellie, wrote a great post on 11-05-2008, 10:44 AM, #22 in this thread.

They also whittle waists, lift and firm derrieres and melt fat. And as far as I can tell, no other tool has the ability to rehab knees, hips and shoulders the way they do.

You will simply be amazed if you are using hard style technique and eating sensibly.

Let us know how it goes.

nelie
11-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Yeah kettlebells are totally different than traditional weight lifting. They use the largest muscles on your body with your smaller muscles assisting. It is also a cardio and weight workout in one. I love my kettlebells so much :)

dangerousfish
11-17-2009, 12:58 AM
I've jumped on the kettlebell band wagon - thanks chicks! Even though I love lifting and resistance exercises I never really thought about kettlebells until I saw all the posts about them. I got a 15lb (random clearance item) and love it (left arm stop lagging behind right arm). Totally looking to add a 20lb or higher -- the 15 is just too light for two-handed lifts!

Depalma
11-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Are kettlebells better than dumbells? Is a claw hammer better than a sledge hammer?

Kettlebells are not better or worse than dumbells. They are both useful but different tools. While many exercises can be done using either tool, where the handle is in relation to the weight changes both the lever arm and the ability to control the weight, so one may be more desirable than the other at any moment depending upon what you are looking for at the moment as the change in lever arm and/or control can be an advantage or a disadvantage depending upon the circumstance.

I love to utilize kettlebells in my workouts and I use kettlebells at minimum of twice per week. I like the challenge to control the weight during a snatch. I also, in a sick way, like how the KB and my wrist tell me, when I do a snatch horribly wrong. However, I also use dumbells in my workouts as well.

Violin Jenn
11-19-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm new to Kettlebells, started in June 2009. Since I started tweeting about my experiences with them (all amazing: lower blood pressure, lower resting heart rate, increased agility and mobility, Increased strength and stamina, resolved pain issues that I had for years, I've been pain free for 5 months), I've noticed that the most respected and knowedgeable Kettlebell instructors fear/dread Jillian's poor technique demonstration. The consensus seems to be that someone is going to get hurt.

Instead I would like to recommend to you The Kettlebell Goddess by Andrea DuCane from Dragon Door and Lauren Brooks from On The Edge Fitness (dot) com has a video I've only heard rabid enthusiasm for The Ultimate Body Sculpt and Conditioning with Kettlebells. For those of us with a lot of physical issues, Andrea DuCane's Special Populations DVD is an amazing resource.

Thank you soo much! I had no idea Jillian had poor technique! I love Jillian and her workouts are helping me lose weight and my clothes fit better, but I want to learn properly. Of course I now have to go and see if I can find those demo's of hers on the net!

I've read alot of excellent reviews of The Kettlebell Goddess! I definately will get that one. What do you ladies think of the book "Enter the Kettlebell..." by Pavel? I want to learn proper from and technique but also HOW to put together my own routines.

ResilientWoman
11-20-2009, 07:49 AM
I've read a lot of excellent reviews of The Kettlebell Goddess! I definitely will get that one. What do you ladies think of the book "Enter the Kettlebell..." by Pavel? I want to learn proper from and technique but also HOW to put together my own routines.

Love it! I've read excerpts and it's on my Christmas list. :coolsnow: If I could get ETK into 100 middle schools in the poorest part of our country, I could save our future global competitiveness, not to mention the health of at least 1000 kids.

Are you on Twitter? There are several notable women in my "Kettlebell Buddies" list that Tweet. They have been a stronger motivator and more instant form of encouragement and technique clarification than any of my other resources [except of course for my singularly qualified Z-Health/RKC instructor, Jen Waak of Move Fit Fun (dot) com].

Many of them are doing ETK by the week and Tweet about it. We're an elite group of women lifters (still feels funny to include myself in the group at a weight of 306 lbs). I believe that there are only a few thousand RKC certified instructors on the whole planet and originally they were primarily men who were military elite forces, power lifters, martial artists, fire fighters, police, corrections officers, etc. Now that a few women have come into the program the best kept secret of high performance body acquisition is spreading all over the country and, indeed, around the world.

My daughter plans to be the youngest female RKC and is already training (with her stuffies in hand) at age 4. I use Pavel's body weight ideas that have filtered down to me while I've been in the R-Phase of my Z-Health drills: Rehabilitation, Restoration, Re-Education from a lifetime of injuries and imbalances. As my strength and stability improve, I'll be starting the ETK program and Tweeting/posting my progress here daily. If you wind up getting into ETK, let me know and we can start an ETK forum for the week by week program.

One thing that I've found learning the TGU, or Turkish Getup, is that it is an amazing diagnostic tool for what one needs in one's routine. You'll be amazed. I could go on like this for hours but I have to get my belly fat melting sleep so that I can have the most effective workout tomorrow. Yay!

Stay Strong,
RW
:strong:

Violin Jenn
11-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks RW! I'm planning on buying a kettlebell in January(maybe I can get a bit of sale price for the "new year new you", but gotta save up $$$ anyway). The goddess dvd is going on my christmas list and ETK will be my christmas gift to myself. I'll let you know when I start. I'm not on twitter (actually it's amazing that I get on here somedays) but a forum on here for ETK for weekly posting sounds perfect.

ResilientWoman
11-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Kettlebells have struck me as both pricey and the best investment that I can make in my lifelong wellness right now.

I don't have enough to pay my RKC instructor due to being out of work for over a year. Heck this is the 2nd year in a row that I won't be able to afford a turkey for my daughter and I for Thanksgiving. Two years without turkey and leftover turkey sandwiches is depressing but maybe we'll find a sale on them afterward. I have been getting us fed with help from food banks but with the demand for food amongst the staggering numbers of newly unemployed, there will be no turkeys for a lot of people this year. I'm just grateful we have healthy food to eat.

My trainer is going to let me get my first Kettlebell from her and it amounts to whatever Dragon Door is charging without the shipping. I've only gotten to work with them part of one hour per week since June. At home I'm using my instructor's old dumbbells, very helpful but just not the same. I know that when I get my own I will want to pick it up daily. I asked and she's letting me run a tab with her and get the bell anyway. To earn the credit to get it, I have to weigh-in under 300 pounds. She's awesome.

Sometime in the next few weeks, I'll hit that 299 or less mark and I'll get my very first Kettlebell. I'll ask her if she has a copy of ETK that I can borrow and also check my local library. I'm so excited by the changes taking place in my body and abilities. I trust that one day soon things will change and I will get to pay my bills with my head held high and not in fear of what the consequences will be. I keep lifting, I keep praying, I keep eating as best I can, QUIT is not in my vocabulary. It's got to get better eventually.

Looking forward to the New Year and our new ETK forum once we've both got books. :hug:

Have a great weekend,
RW

dangerousfish
11-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Probably just using the GoFit manual was a bad idea but I totally flunked the turkish getup with my 15lb kettlebell. Just awful. I'll be practicing the motion without weight, for now.

ResilientWoman
11-23-2009, 04:36 AM
Probably just using the GoFit manual was a bad idea but I totally flunked the turkish getup with my 15lb kettlebell. Just awful. I'll be practicing the motion without weight, for now.

The TGU is an amazing diagnostic for how our bodies are/aren't functioning. I believe in the RKC, they start people doing the TGU with a flip flop or a sport shoe. If you are slow and careful and listen to your body, you'll be doing the TGU with 12 kg/26 lbs in no time. :hug:

There is no shame in where we begin from, it's a starting place, that's all. From there we can reach the stars if we believe we can. I believe.

Stay Strong,
RW

dollyfinn
02-05-2010, 01:55 PM
I am so excited to find this thread but I am late to the party. I have been doing kettlebells since Aug. 2009 and it has done some amazing things for me. My bp meds have been cut in half, no longer prediabetic, lost about 20-25 inches.......It is amazing. The problem I am having is that I can't lose any actual weight. And, after each workout I get ridiculously hungry. So, my question is does anyone follow a certain diet while doing kettlebells that also helps with weight loss?? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I am desperate to get out of the 300lbs range. thanks!!!!

Aunt Sheshie
03-14-2010, 02:43 PM
I am completely in love with kettlebells!!!.. I've been at it about 6 weeks... I started out with a 5 pounder, just because I had no idea of how it would feel to use one & whether or not I could control a heavier one... it didn't take me long to graduate to a 10 pounder & now it's starting to feel too light for some moves... I still use the 5 lb. to warm up & cool down, but it doesn't give me the workout the heavier kb does... I've already noticed my upper arms losing that hangy-down appearance & my belly & my horrible back fat are shrinking too... most noticeable & most surprising is my double chin is shrinking & my face is getting thinner... so I know the kb is giving me a good cardio workout, because that's the only thing where I notice it in my face...

Thanks for this thread & all the good info & advice...
Hugs...

ResilientWoman
03-15-2010, 05:02 PM
I am so excited to find this thread but I am late to the party. I have been doing kettlebells since Aug. 2009 and it has done some amazing things for me. My bp meds have been cut in half, no longer prediabetic, lost about 20-25 inches.......It is amazing. The problem I am having is that I can't lose any actual weight. And, after each workout I get ridiculously hungry. So, my question is does anyone follow a certain diet while doing kettlebells that also helps with weight loss?? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I am desperate to get out of the 300lbs range. thanks!!!!

Sorry I've been absent from the party. Lost laptop reliability and Internet access for awhile. April should be better. If you've lost over 20 inches then you most definitely have lost weight. The single most important measurement is often thought to be that of your waist. If your waist is getting smaller, even 1/4" per month, then you're doing great. I usually only lose a little in my waist each month. Last month was unusual in that I lost 2" and 9.5 lbs. in February. We're gaining ridiculous amounts of muscles and functionality as we lift/swing/punch our Kettlebells. If you gain 3 lbs. of muscle and lose 3 lbs. of fat, the scale will show NO LOSS but your waist will still be significantly smaller. Eventually your metabolism will simmer up to a rolling boil and melt off all the unnecessary fat leaving you with a healthy, fit body full of functional muscle. Just keep measuring head to toe for the fun of it and keep up the good work.

As for nutrition, there are so many different good ways to nurture our bodies and I am a a firm believer that you have to find the way that works for your body. Some Kettlebell enthusiasts are also into Paleo nutrition also known as the Warrior Diet. Some like eating gluten free or grain free high protein diets. Some, like me blend the best of many programs to come up with an individualized approach that addresses their own needs.

I like the Schwarzbein Program, The Belly Fat Cure and tracking at Live Strong (dot) com. I don't subscribe to calorie restriction or counting but like tracking to see if I'm getting enough veggies often enough and whether I'm eating frequently enough. Without a functioning computer, I've not been able to track my intake and it has slowed down my pace at melting off fat.

Still gaining muscle and melting inches so I'm good even without tracking. I'm drinking a lot more water than 8 cups a day according to water intake for fat loss research. Mostly I'm living in a place of sensible choices, playful activity and self-love. My life is shifting to a place of peaceful nurture of my body, my dreams and my goals. Life is sweet.

Stay Strong,
ResilientWoman

dollyfinn
03-15-2010, 06:35 PM
RW-so frustrated, I just wrote you a long reply and it got lost in the cyber graveyard....
Anyway, thank you for responding to my post. I have been losing inches consistently and your feedback really helped. thank you !
I just started trying to do more of a paleo diet (called perfect 10 diet) and I will see how that works.
Most of all it is really great to get some advice from an actual kettlebeller. Not everyone I train with takes kettlebells as seriously as you and I seem to so it was great to meet you. Good luck in your journey.
Keep swinging,
Dolly

ResilientWoman
03-15-2010, 08:17 PM
I am completely in love with kettlebells!!!.. I've been at it about 6 weeks... I started out with a 5 pounder, just because I had no idea of how it would feel to use one & whether or not I could control a heavier one... it didn't take me long to graduate to a 10 pounder & now it's starting to feel too light for some moves... I still use the 5 lb. to warm up & cool down, but it doesn't give me the workout the heavier kb does... I've already noticed my upper arms losing that hangy-down appearance & my belly & my horrible back fat are shrinking too... most noticeable & most surprising is my double chin is shrinking & my face is getting thinner... so I know the kb is giving me a good cardio workout, because that's the only thing where I notice it in my face...

Thanks for this thread & all the good info & advice...
Hugs...

I started with a 4 kg/9 lb Kettlebell affectionately known as a 'doorstop' and have finally gotten my very own 12 kg/26 lb 'Real' Kettlebell. I have loved watching my C-section belly flap lift and tighten over the last few months. Having over 200 lbs to lose, I have wondered if I'll need plastic surgery when I'm done. While it's too soon to say, I know that my Kettlebell practice is giving me the best chance of being the most healthy, beautiful, functional me I can be. The only activity that comes even close to burning a similar amount of calories is uphill cross-country skiing. LOL I'll stick with my Kettlebells.

Looked at pics of me giving birth to my daughter in September 2005 the other day and looking at myself in the mirror today, I cannot even reconcile the two images logically. The beautiful woman that has always been just under all the grief, trauma, disease processes and bad habits is being melted free one ounce and one inch at a time. I honestly almost cried this morning looking myself in the eye in the mirror because I never in my life guessed that I was so beautiful. It is my conviction that Kettlebells could set women in this country free, that and good health care, good nutrition and a heaping dose of self-love.

Aunt Sheshie
03-17-2010, 08:34 PM
RW, your post is so inspirational... thanks...

MamaP
03-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Now I want one. :) But I don't have the money for one right now. Darn.

nelie
03-18-2010, 12:11 AM
They are addictive. A couple weeks ago I found a 40 lb kettlebell, I currently have a 35 and a 45... may need the 40 lb :)

jenjen
03-18-2010, 01:10 PM
I just bought my first kettlebell. I'm going to start looking at books/dvds for the workouts based on previous recommendations. I'm very excited.

I do have a question that I didn't see answered in previous posts. How often can you use the kettlebell? Is it similar to weight training where you should rest a day in between or can you use it daily?

nelie
03-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Jenjen - it depends how you feel. Some people take rests although I've read that you can use kettlebells every day and you don't need much. There certainly are people who kettlebell every day but you might need to build up to that :)

jenjen
03-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks, nelie. I wasn't sure if the muscles needed a "rest" like they do with weight training. I think I'm really going to enjoy this type of work out.

MamaP
03-18-2010, 10:58 PM
I went and bought one tonight. I didn't really have the money - I took $20 out of the (little) money I have put back for my trip to see my daughter the end of the month. I only got a 10 lb one - partly because of the cost and partly because I have some shoulder and elbow issues and didn't want to start out too heavy. Did the workout that came with the kettlebell and it kicked my butt - but it felt good. I did 30 minutes and I am dripping with sweat. I am gonna have to use this several times a week because I can tell it will make a difference with the weightloss. I think I'm gonna be sore tomorrow - but a good kind of sore. :)

Jodi1964
03-18-2010, 11:42 PM
I love kettlebells!

melaniea1119
03-22-2010, 01:06 AM
Hi all, I am fairly new to kettlebells. The Go Fit kettlebells have been on sale at Target so over a period of a month I have purchased a 15, 20, and 25, (of course I was at Target for other stuff).

I am interested in knowing what kind of workouts everyone is doing. I purchased the Kettlebell Bootcamp :lifter: and have been doing that, but I'd still like to know what is working for everyone else. Thanks!

Mel

ResilientWoman
03-28-2010, 02:33 AM
I recommend any DVD from Dragon Door (dot) com. Andrea DuCane has a DVD series for special populations that will transform your life, not just your body. I also like Lauren Brooks' DVDs. She's a mom of more than one kidling and still has a functional strong body and is a great teacher (Ultimate Body Sculpt). I won't give birth again without her pregnancy DVD. Mostly I love going to train with my RKC certified coach, Jen Waak of http://movefitfun.com. She's a geek and a Kettlebell enthusiast but her secret to being my favorite trainer is her Z-Health certification. She's rehabilitated my body in ways that the docs said wasn't possible. LOL. She does the impossible with me weekly and I keep coming back for more.

ResilientWoman
03-28-2010, 02:50 AM
I only got a 10 lb one - partly because of the cost and partly because I have some shoulder and elbow issues and didn't want to start out too heavy... I think I'm gonna be sore tomorrow - but a good kind of sore. :)

I had badly damaged shoulders and spinal muscles and core in general were weak and ineffective.

My favorite Z-Health DVD, R-phase is all about rehab, restoration and repairing what was lost. Cam shafts are a part of my daily routine for correcting what my giant breastfeeding breasts did to my shoulders. (Went from less than a C-cup to an H-cup in 2 weeks and never had any upper body development or strength before that.)

My favorite kettlebell exercises for my shoulders after my coach gave me the green light to lift them:

*military press
*bent rows
*halos

What excites me every new month is the new nerve function and muscle ability/mobility that I've wanted for so long. It's even more exciting than the weight loss or how I look in my new clothes.

Reading Paul Wade's book Convict Conditioning. Costs a fortune ($42 with tax and shipping) but you could lobby your library to get a copy or split it with a workout buddy. Bodyweight calisthenic progressions that require no equipment and rely on your own body awareness to train you rather than a coach. The progressions are revolutionary, turning the strength training community to take a different look at bodyweight training. If you can get past the testosterone induced lack of accessibility to female language and thinking, it's still science and it works. I never did pushups until a few months ago and now I can 20 at a time. WOOT!

ResilientWoman
04-07-2010, 05:04 AM
Today I hefted a 16 kg/35 lb Kettlebell with my trainer. Today I repeated this feat twice on each side. That was the best I could do with spotting. I am strong and getting stronger. My planks and pushups are coming along. Leg raises are alright. My Z-Health drills are making a huge difference in my functioning. I feel grateful to be alive and to get to fight through the weakness to liberate my inner athlete.

dollyfinn
04-07-2010, 09:04 AM
That is so great. I love swinging the 16kls bells. So glad you are feeling good today. Kettlebells will do that for a person :) Thanks for the update!

Aunt Sheshie
05-01-2010, 09:32 PM
How much time each day do y'all spend doing your kettlebell workouts?.. seems like I can go only about 20 minutes without being too winded to go on, but I feel like I should be going longer...

Thanks!.. hugs......:hug:

Kritter
05-12-2010, 10:13 PM
So I have decided to try working out with Kettlebells! Great I'm excited... but where do I start? :?: I was looking at a couple sites online and found a couple of videos that looked good. I was wondering if anyone has used them and if anyone has suggestions.

I looked at "The kettlebell goddess workout" and also the "From Russia with tough love."

Also: Kettle worx (had an infomercial and seemed very typical of anexercise program)

and "enter the kettlebell"

I'm not looking for a light workout. I want something challenging. Any thoughts or help would be great!

nelie
05-12-2010, 10:41 PM
I think the workbooks help you work out your form and the videos give you a good workout. If you buy kettlebells from goFit (which I recommend), they come with an intro DVD that will help out a bit with form.

I like Art of Strength (http://www.artofstrength.com/) DVDs and I like Enter the kettlebell and from russia with tough love work books. Also crossfit.com has some various videos of kettlebell exercises to help you with form.

Do you have a kettlebell yet? I'd recommend a 20 lb one to start.

Kritter
05-13-2010, 09:25 AM
nelie ~ thanks for the help! Although after I checked out that site I have more to look at now! :dizzy: I don't have a kettlebell yet but I had read some of the earlier posts on this thread and it seems 20 pounds is a good starting point. I'm glad I read that because I almost went out and bout a 10 or 15 pound! If you had to choose which DVD is a worth the money? There are so many and I'm a little strapped for cash. I don't have a gym membership so I don't want to spend money and end up hating the video!

Aunt Sheshie
05-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Okay, I'll ask again...

How much time each day do y'all spend doing your kettlebell workouts?.. :?:

Thanks...

sacha
05-15-2010, 11:49 PM
Okay, I'll ask again...

How much time each day do y'all spend doing your kettlebell workouts?.. :?:

Thanks...

20 minutes is about average. Kettlebells are meant to be short and intense :)

Aunt Sheshie
05-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks Sacha... I guess I'm doing okay then... I'll just carry on...
hugs :hug:

vonvonnie
05-25-2010, 05:21 PM
I dont do a full workout, with KBs, but I usually do about 20 minutes 3X per week.

Besides the dipping side lunges, does anyone know another good inner thigh move?

I purchased a 20lb bell, but at the gym I use the 22lb for everything. The next one up is 26 and it seems SO heavy, but I can only imagine how it could help shape up my legs doing swings!

Aunt Sheshie
06-06-2010, 06:24 PM
This past week I've noticed that my 10 lb. kb wasn't winding me a bit, so I went shopping for a heavier one... next size up at Academy was 15, then 25... I picked up the 25 & almost dropped it, so I ended up buying the 15... glad I did, it had me huffing & puffing in no time... I tried some bicep curls & could barely get it up there... I expect it to get too easy though in a short time, just like the 10 lb. did... then on to the 25, I suppose...

The kb I got came with a DVD, "Kettlebell Konnection" from GoFit... have any of you used it?.. I watched it, but didn't try it yet... I wanted to get used to the heaver kb with a more familiar workout, but I might try the DVD in a few days... still doing a 20 minute or so workout 3 or 4 mornings a week, plus I've added a short, maybe 10 minute, swings/snatches/thrusters 2 or 3 nights a week...

Aunt Sheshie
06-14-2010, 08:30 PM
I was doing some looking around online last night for kb workouts & came across a video of kb jerks... looked like an intense workout, so I tried it... not so bad, but how do I keep the kb from bruising my forearm when it bounces against it at the top of the jerk?.. no matter how tightly I held the handle, it still bounced... today I've got a couple of swollen spots just above my wrists & I don't think they've been there before...

Thanks!..

fatgirlhealthyself
06-17-2010, 03:49 AM
I just bought my first kettlebell today. I got one of the GoFit ones, 15lbs, and did the DVD. The DVD was cool - I was drenched in sweat by the end, and had to stop a few times.

Did I make a mistake in getting the 15lb one? I mean, the exercises were tough for me, I definitely felt it, but I don't want to have to buy another one in a couple of weeks. I'd rather just return it and buy the 20lb.

Any suggestions on that would be helpful. Thanks!

jamsk8r
06-17-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm not familiar with the video, but it depends what exercises you are doing with them. If you are doing swings, then the 20 is probably the better bet, since that movement is powered by the force of you opening your hip ("closed" hip would be what happens when you sit or squat, "open" would be standing upright), not by pulling with the arms/shoulders. If you want the KB for overhead press with one arm, or something similar, then it just depends how strong you are and what feels right and safe at this time. (dumbbells might be a cheaper option for that, though, since you'd need to increase weight in smaller increments) Hope that helps!

ResilientWoman
07-16-2010, 04:10 PM
I was doing some looking around online last night for kb workouts & came across a video of kb jerks... looked like an intense workout, so I tried it... not so bad, but how do I keep the kb from bruising my forearm when it bounces against it at the top of the jerk?.. no matter how tightly I held the handle, it still bounced... today I've got a couple of swollen spots just above my wrists & I don't think they've been there before...

Thanks!..

Not doing jerks yet. I'll ask my RKC next Tuesday and post on Tuesday night. I've been using Kettlebells in my training with an RKC for over a year but my omentum (belly fat) is still significant enough to prevent me from feeling safe doing swings. Sure to get there in another 50 lbs, maybe sooner. As my core strength, which was nil after an emergency C-section, increases and my belly decreases there will come a tipping point where I can feel confident that I won't injure myself and then I'll do swings with the best of them!

For now, I am happy doing military presses, bent rows, deadlifts, suitcase deadlifts, windmills and, my fave, Turkish Getups. I've lost over 60 pounds of fat and gained an amazing amount of dense, functional muscle. I have increased my strength and endurance along the way and am grateful that her patience with me has kept me lifting when I would have given up.

Glad to be back here at 3FC and will be posting my training daily when my 4 yo lets me get online. LOL :lifter:

ResilientWoman
07-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Now that I'm back online and moving again:

First, confession time. I regained 11 lbs during a health crisis between the beginning of April (286 lbs) and the end of June (297 lbs). Lost the ability to lift even a coffee cup for awhile. Began falling to my right side frequently and had an unexplained loss of consciousness for 4 hrs one time. Docs are still plumbing the mystery but all my initial labs have been great. Able to lift again and have begun to lose fat and reduce inflammation/bloating again.

In any case, it had nothing to do with my training, but may have been connected to my finances. I had gotten the idea that I was too poor to afford to continue my supplements of Vitamin D3 and Fish Oil. I was wrong, I'm too broke not to take them! Started back on them July 3, 2010 and Oh, what a difference!

HW: 352
SW: 325
New SW: 297
CW: 288
GW: 145 (November 4, 2011)

Since I've been able to pick up my Kettlebell and to track my intake and training online again, I've lost 9 pounds in 14 days. My waist had been at 48.5" and had crept back up to 50.5" over the 3 months in question. In 2 weeks, I've got it back down to 48.5" (so probably more bloat/inflammation/water weight than just fat) and I'm not giving up until I break into the 20's. A 28" waist is my current goal but I'll adjust that as I get closer to Onederland, next year.

Today's Bodyweight training:

20 pushups (at wall, slightly inclined, standing as far from the wall as I can and still do any pushups) X 2 sets

In between the 2 sets of pushups:

10 minutes with my 12kg KB (26 lbs) [This includes short rests between sets.]:

*military presses (8 on each side)
*bent rows (8 on each side)
*deadlifts (8 two handed)
*suitcase deadlifts (8 one handed on each side)

Training done and tracked.

I'll be attempting to do 12 minutes/day except for Sunday, when we hike as a family after a Sunday post-worship Family Feast and Tuesday, when I train with my RKC/Z-Health coach.

12 minutes X 5 days = 60 minutes of strength training solo per week
+ 30 minutes of strength training with my coach
(and 30 minutes of Z-Health which repairs much of the damage morbid obesity has done to my mobility, flexibility and coordination)

for a grand total of 30 intense minutes of rehab/repair and 90 min. strength training/week.

Yay! I'm back, my body is healing and happy and I get to celebrate with all of you!

Stay Strong,
RW

Mel
07-18-2010, 02:45 PM
I've turned this into a thread and removed it all from the sticky. I think there is enough interest here for a separate thread!

Have at it!

Mel

ResilientWoman
07-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks, Mel. Beautiful day here in Seattle. Today I see my RKC for training. Yesterday I measured my waist at only 48". It's that legendary Kettlebell WTF factor! I'm melting, I'm melting.

Mwu ha ha ha

Let you know what torture Jen comes up with for me later tonight.

Aunt Sheshie
07-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Not doing jerks yet. I'll ask my RKC next Tuesday and post on Tuesday night. I've been using Kettlebells in my training with an RKC for over a year but my omentum (belly fat) is still significant enough to prevent me from feeling safe doing swings. Sure to get there in another 50 lbs, maybe sooner. As my core strength, which was nil after an emergency C-section, increases and my belly decreases there will come a tipping point where I can feel confident that I won't injure myself and then I'll do swings with the best of them!

For now, I am happy doing military presses, bent rows, deadlifts, suitcase deadlifts, windmills and, my fave, Turkish Getups. I've lost over 60 pounds of fat and gained an amazing amount of dense, functional muscle. I have increased my strength and endurance along the way and am grateful that her patience with me has kept me lifting when I would have given up.

Glad to be back here at 3FC and will be posting my training daily when my 4 yo lets me get online. LOL :lifter:

Thanks, RW... I'm not doing jerks yet either, I was just curious about them... right now, I'm content with 2-arm swings, 1-arm swings, snatches, overhead presses, bicep curls, thrusters, & an occasional Turkish get-up... I've started adding 25 swings between each set of the other moves... really keeps my cardio going...

Thanks, Mel. Beautiful day here in Seattle. Today I see my RKC for training. Yesterday I measured my waist at only 48". It's that legendary Kettlebell WTF factor! I'm melting, I'm melting.

Mwu ha ha ha

Let you know what torture Jen comes up with for me later tonight.

Congrats, melting is good!!!..

Mel
07-20-2010, 10:52 PM
If you really punch through the jerks at just the right time, it doesn't smack the back of your forearm. Be VERY aware of your form.

That being said...my form is hardly perfect for an entire workout, and I bought kettlebell guards from nofearfitness.com. I LOVE them!

Mel

ResilientWoman
07-21-2010, 02:05 AM
Today's training with Jen (http://movefitfun.com). Farmer's walks, pushups, walking laps, pushups, sprints, bent rows, Z-Health cam shafts and other repair work, followed by more pushups.

Celebrate with me, today my pushups were strong rather than me frightened that I'd fall and smash my nose. I love my kettlebell and am deeply indebted to my RKC, Jen Waak.

Aunt Sheshie
07-22-2010, 12:59 PM
If you really punch through the jerks at just the right time, it doesn't smack the back of your forearm. Be VERY aware of your form.

That being said...my form is hardly perfect for an entire workout, and I bought kettlebell guards from nofearfitness.com. I LOVE them!

Mel

Thanks Mel... I'll remember that if I ever decide to start doing jerks... I'm still pretty much a beginner, started KBing last fall, so I haven't worked up to those yet, but I WILL!!!.. meanwhile, I'll take a look at the kb guards...

ResilientWoman
07-23-2010, 02:02 AM
Today's training:

50 pushups X 2 sets an hour apart for a total of 100 pushups (I couldn't do even 10 last month).

Halos 10 X each direction (clockwise/counterclockwise) with 4 kg/9 lb
Bent rows 16 (8 each side) with 12 kg/26 lb

Training interrupt - child (sick), going to Seattle Children's Hospital, please pray.

RW

ResilientWoman
07-24-2010, 12:46 AM
Daughter OK, nasty tummy bug. Seattle Children's Hospital was very helpful.

After being up all night at the ER, though, not sure about lifting today. Grateful to be home and underslept rather than at the hospital. At least I got my 100 pushups in, 2X50 and everyone of them killed me but I couldn't do any before Kettlebells.

Aunt Sheshie
07-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Daughter OK, nasty tummy bug. Seattle Children's Hospital was very helpful.

After being up all night at the ER, though, not sure about lifting today. Grateful to be home and underslept rather than at the hospital. At least I got my 100 pushups in, 2X50 and everyone of them killed me but I couldn't do any before Kettlebells.

Great news that your daughter is okay, but a tummy bug is no fun... I hope she's feeling LOTS better today...

I live in west Texas where the climate is normally dry, dry, dry, but lately our humidity has been way higher than I'm used to... I just haven't had any energy & am wondering if there's a connection... I've neglected my KBs the last 2 days, didn't even want to do yoga (yikes, that IS bad).. I'm gonna just make myself do them today & see if I can get back on track... I have a deadline approaching fast, & those size 12s aren't any looser than they were 2 weeks ago...

RW, do you do any extra cardio (running, walking, swimming, whatever) along with your KB workouts?..

ResilientWoman
07-25-2010, 02:51 PM
You'll get there.

DD is doing well. No vomiting since stellar med that night at the hospital.
In high humidity, I don't lift, lung issue. Then I swim or work on my respiratory drills.

Will post tonight the Awesome KB workout I did in 12 minutes that is whittling my waist down 2 inches in 3 weeks.

Hugs,
RW

Aunt Sheshie
07-25-2010, 03:13 PM
You'll get there.

DD is doing well. No vomiting since stellar med that night at the hospital.
In high humidity, I don't lift, lung issue. Then I swim or work on my respiratory drills.

Will post tonight the Awesome KB workout I did in 12 minutes that is whittling my waist down 2 inches in 3 weeks.

Hugs,
RW

GREAT!.. my waist & tummy are my only real problem areas, for now anyway... everything else is responding amazingly to diet & exercise... they are too, but just more slowly & frustratingly!!!..

I just finished my cardio & KB, & I'm getting ready to spend my 20 minutes of yoga with Rodney Yee... I feel so good being this sweaty, not sure why the last couple of days were so blah!..

Thanks for the encouraging words, RW... glad your DD is doing better...

ResilientWoman
07-26-2010, 07:13 PM
GREAT!.. my waist & tummy are my only real problem areas, for now anyway... everything else is responding amazingly to diet & exercise... they are too, but just more slowly & frustratingly!!!..

I just finished my cardio & KB, & I'm getting ready to spend my 20 minutes of yoga with Rodney Yee... I feel so good being this sweaty, not sure why the last couple of days were so blah!..

Thanks for the encouraging words, RW... glad your DD is doing better...

Sunday was beautifully busy, I got lots of hiking uphill wearing a backpack in the heat, but no KBs.

Today, I started my morning with a healthy breakfast of Better Oats - Raw, Pure and Simple, Multigrain hot cereal, Jay Robb Chocolate Protein Powder, a cup of coffee with SF Vanilla Bean syrup and Vanilla Almond Breeze unsweetened Almond Milk. Just right to get my energy up for a good KB session.

Here's my current favorite 8-12 minute training session for whittling my waist and lifting my butt. It also does a great job at all the muscles/stabilizers around the ribs which improves my ability to breathe (asthmatic after surviving damage to my lungs from air pollution). Getting dressed for church yesterday, I noticed that I'm getting definition on the sides of my ribs which just blew me away because I still weigh 287 lbs.

*4 kg/9 lbs* - Halos, 20 each direction (if you haven't done these before 8-10 may be sufficient)
12 kg/26 lbs - Deadlifts (two handed), 20 focusing on good form and driving from the hips
12 kg/26 lbs - Suitcase Deadlifts (one handed), 20 each side focusing on staying squared and the muscles on the opposite side from the KB
12 kg/26 lbs - Bent Rows (one handed), 8 each side (focusing on the lats)
12 kg/26 lbs - Military Presses (one handed), 8 each side

*Some mornings I can do Halos with the 12 kg but not on Mondays. If I use the 12 kg, I may only due 10 each direction, or maybe even only 8.

On a good day I can do this session with minimal pauses to catch my breath between forms and then it takes about 8-9 minutes. On a Monday, I'm happy to get it done in 12 grueling minutes of sweaty, deep breathing, endorphin pumping focus! Some days it doesn't make me sweat, too much, hah hah ha. On Mondays, I need a shower when I'm done. Your mileage may vary. LOL

Aunt Sheshie
07-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Looks like a good workout, thanks for sharing it... you're using heavier KBs than I am, I'm still stuck on a 15 pounder... I tried the halos with my 10 lb., feels good, loosens up my shoulders...

ResilientWoman
07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Looks like a good workout, thanks for sharing it... you're using heavier KBs than I am, I'm still stuck on a 15 pounder... I tried the halos with my 10 lb., feels good, loosens up my shoulders...

Aunt Sheshie,

Whatever size KB you use just, as Pavel says, "Pick it up and don't put it down" and you will reach your goals.

Yesterday I was nervous because it was my first measure-in day since I resolved some medical issues and was able to train all out again. I've only been back in the swing (no pun intended) of things since July 3 after being forced to quit my lifting for over 3 1/2 months. I was frightened that I'd lost no inches in my waist or that I'd inadvertently made a food sensitivity mistake (eating out) that would bloat me and throw off my numbers.

I started out the month on July 3 at a waist measurement of 50.5" and instead of losing 0.5-1.5" this months (my goal), when my RKC measured my waist with the same tape she's been using for 14 months...

drum roll maestra xxxxxxxxxxx :carrot:

I had shed 3.5 inches from my waist for a brand new waist size of only 47 inches.

HW: above 60"
SW: (July 3, 2010) 50.5"
CW: 47"
GW: 28"

My reward was to have one beer with my Mexican dinner with family and a one hour hike around a beautiful part of our city reminiscing with my family about dreaming my daughter, conceiving her after 10 years of infertility and then manifesting my dreams.

Now even the damage from almost dying when she was born has been erased from my waist. I am now thinner than before she was conceived.

I will not quit until I obtain my healthy waist but I know Dr. Oz and my mom would be so proud.

Happy waist and hip whittling, :hug:
RW

Mel
07-28-2010, 09:47 PM
:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:Congratulations! Fantastic progress :D

Aunt Sheshie
07-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Hurrah for you, RW!.. you're getting some great results... I love your enthusiasm...

I think I'm about ready to move to a 25 lb. (or 26, whatever they've got) for swings, but feel like I'd better stay with the 15 for most everything else, for now...

I've been doing something silly, well, some people might think it's silly... I've been doing my KB routine as though I'm teaching a class... makes me think more about keeping abs & glutes engaged, not arching my back too much, you know, all those little details it's so easy to forget & get sloppy... I probably won't always do it that way, but for now it seems to be helping... I do all my workouts in the privacy of my own home, by myself, so nobody sees me or hears me!.. call me crazy!!..

ResilientWoman
07-29-2010, 11:25 PM
I call you SMART. Four reps of a KB maneuver done correctly are better than dozens done with poor form. For me its about progress, not perfection. I wish I was as correct in my forms as my teacher. Teaching a subject to others is helpful for me in learning it myself. I think you are a very wise woman.

Keep up the good work. Use whatever size KB works for you in the moment. I go back to my 'doorstop' (the 4 kg/9 lb). If the doorstop is too heavy, I do the training bodyweight only. Never apologize for having the good sense to listen to your body's needs.

Have a great weekend.
RW

vonvonnie
08-10-2010, 05:06 PM
I just had to share -- Today I did swings, cleans & presses with the 26lb bell! I was just looking at my previous post where I thought the 26 was "soooo heavy" but today, it didn't really seem heavy. I think I finally outgrew the 26 for swings (and boy do I feel it now sitting here at the desk!). :carrot:

Also, I wanted to add that KB is a great way to keep up your heart rate between doing sets of say dumbell curls or something like that. Today I threw in sets of 20 or 25 swings between my upright rows & barbell curls and still got a pretty good lower body KB workout without being totally dedicated.

So....what are these halos? are you going around up top, or around your waist? I've done the figure 8's before & like them, but if halos are better, i'm all for a bit of change!

Mel
08-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Congratulations on the 26 seeming lighter :carrot:

The halos that I've done are like a figue8 that goes around your head, then down to your hip. Do 10-ish, then switch direction and the hip.

OK, perusing youtube, it looks like what I've done is a halo-chop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Q51YhuhoM&feature=related

Here is the basic halo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaobmOmQsnU

I like the chop version!

Mel

ResilientWoman
08-11-2010, 05:18 AM
Congratulations on the 26 seeming lighter :carrot:

The halos that I've done are like a figue8 that goes around your head, then down to your hip. Do 10-ish, then switch direction and the hip.

OK, perusing youtube, it looks like what I've done is a halo-chop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Q51YhuhoM&feature=related

Here is the basic halo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaobmOmQsnU

I like the chop version!

Mel

Thanks Mel for the links.

I'm doing a standard halo but I'll check out this halo chop, oohh! a new fun thing to do with my KB.

Vonvonnie, I'm so excited for you. I think I'm finally getting enough of my omentum melted off to safely do swings at all (for 14 months of training so far, I've not been able to do them so I've just done everything else). Of my two bells, the 4 kg/9 lb and the 12 kg/26 lb, I find the larger is the easier one for swings. I can only do swings for a few seconds (15-20) but it's a start.

I love how we get stronger and find ourselves lifting heavier bells or accomplishing new maneuvers. Those sneaky Kettlebells will transform us and remove limitations when we're not even noticing it and then "Viola!"

Stay Strong,
RW

Aunt Sheshie
08-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Today was my first day back on workouts after being gone all last week, & wow, was this article, How Long Does It Take to Fall Out of Shape (http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/how-long-does-it-take-to-fall-out-of-shape-2277730/), right about cardio levels decreasing faster than strength!.. couldn't quite make it through my regular cardio time, but got in all my KB workout... I bought a new 25 lb. KB yesterday & tried it out today, 3 sets of 10 swings each... I think I could've done more, but didn't want to push it too hard the first time... after that, the 15 lb. really seemed light!.. funny how that works!..

ResilientWoman
08-18-2010, 03:49 AM
Today I trained with my RKC coach but accidentally forgot my Kettlebells at home in rushing out the door. The turkish getup I did body weight sure reveals where all my weaknesses still are.

I've come a long way though. Today I did assisted squats (using the heavy steel pole on some playground equipment) and almost got my butt all the way to the ground. A few months ago, I couldn't sit in a chair without a little assistance. I did 30 pushups and lots of stepping up and down and Z-Health drills.

Sad that I forgot my beloved bells at home but glad to see so much progress on my journey. When it cooled down to under 70 tonight (high today in Seattle was near 90 F), I lifted my KBs at home for a total of 60 deadlifts with the 12 kg/26 lb KB. I also love the benefits from doing thrusters with my KB. Makes me want to have 2 of them that size to do them properly. Right now I'm doing thrusters with a bell in only one hand at a time and then swapping hands when the first gets tired (every 10-20 or so).

The weight continues to melt off and I'm looking better than I have in over 10 years.

Mel
08-18-2010, 07:32 AM
:cp: Actually, doing one arm at a time for thrusters , snatches. high pulls, or swings isn't a bad idea. hold the other arm straigh away from your body to help your balance. Doing one side at a time really forces your core to work harder for stabilization.

Mel

ResilientWoman
08-19-2010, 07:36 AM
:cp: Actually, doing one arm at a time for thrusters , snatches. high pulls, or swings isn't a bad idea. hold the other arm straigh away from your body to help your balance. Doing one side at a time really forces your core to work harder for stabilization.

Mel

Mel,

Thanks for reminding me of that. Sometimes I get so intimidated by what the healthy weight gireviks, who've been lifting for years, can do....that I think too little of how much I'm accomplishing where I am.

I got a reminder of that yesterday when I showed up without my Kettlebells for training. My RKC had me do squats assisted by a steel pole for balance. I squatted almost to the ground and to just sit in a chair unaided was a big deal before, a little over a year ago, when I started doing dumbbell thrusters. Now that I've been able to do thrusters with my Kettlebell, I can do things at a bodyweight level that seemed impossible only a few months ago.

I love how my journey with strength training has led me here and all the healing KBs have facilitated.

StephanieM
08-25-2010, 10:28 AM
I just wanted to poke in and say that I have joined the kettlebell club :)

I've been wanting to try one for awhile, and I found a 15lb one while out shopping the other day. I bought it and it came with a small work out chart with 8 different exercises. On days when I'm not at the gym doing NRoL4W, I often play around with my 8lb dumbbells at home so now I have this to expand a bit more :) (and in my defense, I only have 8lb ones because it was the highest weight they sold)

ResilientWoman
08-26-2010, 03:24 AM
I just wanted to poke in and say that I have joined the kettlebell club :)

I've been wanting to try one for awhile, and I found a 15lb one while out shopping the other day. I bought it and it came with a small work out chart with 8 different exercises. On days when I'm not at the gym doing NRoL4W, I often play around with my 8lb dumbbells at home so now I have this to expand a bit more :) (and in my defense, I only have 8lb ones because it was the highest weight they sold)

Glad to see your post Stephanie!

I have found Kettlebells to be pleasantly addictive. Just got back from an unexpected mini-vacation to the high deserts of Southeast Idaho. Our 9 hour, 45 minute trip turned into 30 hours each way between pit stops and travelling with my 4 year old daughter, an elderly dog, a friend who is a stroke survivor and one very sad smoker.

I brought my Kettlebells and felt a little silly packing them since I only planned to be gone for a short while, 3-4 days at most. I figured with all the loading and unloading of van, caring for my daughter, an ailing dog and a disabled friend, I wouldn't lack for exercise much less need my Kettlebells. But wow, was I glad I brought them. I used my 12 kg/26 lb KB for Halos. These loosened up my tight neck and shoulders from the driving. I did swings and deadlifts to help fix my back and butt from all the sitting/driving.

Bringing along my Kettlebells also kept my kidling active in the hotel room when it was too hot to be outside. She knocked out her daily 200 deadlifts with a 4kg/9 lb to stay in shape for an Irish dance troupe she's joining next month.

Their presence also helped me stay focused on my health goals, making better choices in eating and setting a better example for my friends and family.

anewsensation99
08-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Loved reading this thread. I just started with a kettlebell today.

I'm doing them on my own, in my home. There are so many questions I have and no clue where to ask them.

I was only able to get through 10 minutes on my first try with swings and a few windmills. Heart was pumping along great - but my lower back started to feel weak. It wasn't pain, but it was a feeling like I may fall over because of a lack of strength - I was afraid to keep going.

Is this normal for the first day? Should I just keep going with the 10 minutes until I can progress further? Should my lower back even be involved in this?

Would love advice!

sacha
08-29-2010, 02:20 PM
If you are doing full on kettlebells, properly, you probably wouldn't make it past 20-30 min. Most KB workouts are around 20 minutes.

You're doing great. Windmills are actually quite difficult with KB's, that probably got you in the end. Just keep going! KB's are the kind of workout that look very simple but is actually quite difficult. I do very heavy weight lifting and still find KBs to be more difficult.

Check out on Youtube: Pavel and lauren brooks. Both good demonstrations. Pavel is the king of KBs. Watch how they use their back.

anewsensation99
08-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Thank you for the feedback! I will check out those videos right away. I spent a week studying form before I took my first swing - but knowing it and doing it are always different.

I actually enjoyed the windmill! I could feel about 56 million different muscles in my body and it felt great to know they were still alive somewhere under the flab. :lol:

ResilientWoman
08-29-2010, 03:53 PM

I'm doing them on my own, in my home. There are so many questions I have and no clue where to ask them.

I was only able to get through 10 minutes on my first try with swings and a few windmills. Heart was pumping along great - but my lower back started to feel weak. It wasn't pain, but it was a feeling like I may fall over because of a lack of strength - I was afraid to keep going.

Is this normal for the first day? Should I just keep going with the 10 minutes until I can progress further? Should my lower back even be involved in this?

Would love advice!

There is so much out there now to help a beginning girevik (kettlebell lifter).

I love Lauren Brooks' Ultimate Body Sculpt and Conditioning for learning how not to harm yourself. There are also RKC coaches that cost less than a Curve membership and definitely less than gym fees. Everything I've heard about Dragon Door (http://www.dragondoor.com) has been stellar. I like Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade through them for Body Weight exercise progressions that dovetail very well with my Kettlebell training program.

I sent Andrea DuCane of Dragon Door an email over a year ago and she has been quick to answer any questions I've had both then and since. She's a master of her sport and a good teacher. She's coming out with a new DVD focusing on folk 40-60-ish.

When I started in June 2009, my RKC coach wouldn't even let me lift a 4 kg/9 lb KB. Now I use the 12 kg/26 lb for most of my routine. I still struggle with swings but I can finally do them, but not for 10 minutes. LOL Windmills interest me but I cannot do them very well yet. I like deadlifts, suitcase (one-handed) deadlifts, military presses, bent rows, halos, and an occasional clean or snatch.

If you can do 4 of one exercise, you're doing great. Some teachers say (other than swings) if you can do more than 8, it's time to go up a bell. I think it depends on what your goals are. I'm morbidly obese and working on intense interval training to burn massive amounts of calories safely while improving my cardiopulmonary condition, lowering my blood pressure and resting heart rate and whittling my waistline.

I've melted off 10.25 inches in 16 months with 6 of those months being various health crises that prevented any weight loss or much training. I've shed 80 lbs of fat and gained 15.5 lbs of muscle.

I can't even imagine how good I'll feel and look by Christmas!

Glad to have you aboard and if you don't get your questions answered here, I can pass them on to a coach or two that I know.

Stay Strong,
RW

anewsensation99
08-29-2010, 08:54 PM
ResilientWoman, I'll be honest. When I read this whole thread - your posts were totally inspiring! Thank you so much for the great information - I will definitely take the recommendations.

I started at 315lbs and have made it to 280 (my current weight) doing the old fashion way. Calorie counting and many miles clocked on the treadmill. I needed something way more interesting and challenging. Kettlebells caught my eye and I jumped right on it.

It's a few hours later now and my back feels a bit better. Hips, but and thighs are sore - which is good, as far as I know!

ResilientWoman
08-30-2010, 08:39 AM
ResilientWoman, I'll be honest. When I read this whole thread - your posts were totally inspiring! Thank you so much for the great information - I will definitely take the recommendations.

I started at 315lbs and have made it to 280 (my current weight) doing the old fashion way. Calorie counting and many miles clocked on the treadmill. I needed something way more interesting and challenging. Kettlebells caught my eye and I jumped right on it.

It's a few hours later now and my back feels a bit better. Hips, but and thighs are sore - which is good, as far as I know!

Hips, butt, thighs sore...around my house this is called post kettlebell reassurance that we've done something right! LOL

I recall one training session of primarily deadlifts that left me knowing exactly where my hip joints were for the first time in my entire life. Oh, I didn't hurt them but it is possible that in 43 years of living, I'd never correctly engaged this zone of my body. This is why I love my Kettlebells! For the first time in my life I'm moving, breathing, sweating and building muscles that are working in harmony with each other, actually functioning somewhat according to their design.

Today I looked into the mirror and caught a look at my new, more hourglass-y self. Thought I'd share my waist to hip ratio progress brought to you by Russian Kettlebell training:

HW:H - 0.9375 [60":64"] January 2003
SW:H - 0.9256 [56":62"] June 3, 2009
CW:H - 0.7956 [45.75":57.5"] August 29, 2010
GW:H - 0.6500 [approximately 24":37"] current training projection - January 31, 2012

I did a little research into the history of junior sizes of apparel and in about 5 months, I'll have a lower waist to hip ratio then when I was 16 years old in my senior year in high school.

It'll be fun to see how this unfolds. I'll be posting my new W:H ratio monthly on about the last Tuesday of the month, my official measure-in day with my RKC coach.

Happy KB training.

Shay
09-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Okay so I was up at 3am and got sucked into a kettlebell informercial. I had been looking at them for over a year now so I bought the system and plan to start soon. I got my system from www.kettleworx.com.

Aunt Sheshie
10-09-2010, 01:40 PM

Would love advice!

Welcome!.. it sounds like you're starting off just right... just stick with it & you'll be able to extend your time as your body tells you it's ready to... I've done all my KB work at home on my own too...

Okay so I was up at 3am and got sucked into a kettlebell informercial. I had been looking at them for over a year now so I bought the system and plan to start soon. I got my system from www.kettleworx.com.

Thanks for posting this website... & welcome!..

RW, you're an inspiration, as always... I'm glad you're still making such amazing progress!..

I know I haven't been on here in a while, but I'm still kettlebelling... it's still the best exercise I've ever done...

ResilientWoman
10-10-2010, 06:47 AM
Laptop broken so it's difficult to post very often. RKC coach just returned from climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, she was the only one in her group to reach the summit. I've got my new measurements for the month she was in Africa and I flew solo with my KB.

Neck: -0.25"
Upper arms: -1.5" EACH!
Forearms: ->0.5" each
Chest: -1.75"
Bust: -1.0"
Ribs (bra band): -2.5"
Waist: -2.5"
Hips: -1.5"
Thighs: -0.25" each
Calves: -0.125" each
Ankles: same

A total loss of 14.25" in only one month!

HW:H - 0.9375 [60":64"] January 2003
SW:H - 0.9256 [56":62"] June 3, 2009
CW:H - 0.8873 [45.25":51"] October 7, 2010
GW:H - 0.6500 [approximately 24":37"] current training projection - January 31, 2012

Aunt Sheshie
01-01-2011, 11:55 AM
It's a new year & a new commitment for me... it's been a couple of months since I exercised regularly, but today that changes... back to kettlebelling & yoga... I've managed to keep losing inches due to my diet, but now I'm just flabby... omg, I hate the way that looks!.. I haven't decided if I want to incorporate cardio yet, but I think maybe I won't for the first month or so... I'm pretty sure most of my exercise success last year came from my KB workouts... I'm ready to see some of that again...

So, I'm starting out today with a routine of 2-arm swings, 1-arm swings, thrusters, triceps extensions, snatches, overhead presses, curls, & halos with the 15# KB... not too many of each, but enough I'll be able to feel it... then after a few days, increase reps & weight... & back to my easy yoga for the first week, then go to a tougher routine next week...

I should be lean & mean in no time!..

jilly6
01-09-2011, 09:35 AM
I bought a set of 5, 10 & 15 lb kettlebells at Aldi's (they are on sale for $24.99) a few day ago. I LOVE them. I am starting with the 5 lb and will work my way up. But, oh my, I can sure feel them working already!

jamsk8r
01-09-2011, 04:21 PM
I just learned the KB snatch last week, and have been putting it in my warm-ups...fun, if you do it right, lol. I've been doing the 15, 25 and 35# ones in my warm-up...the 35#, I can do about 5 reps before I get tired and start whacking myself in the arm, so last night I did a short workout with the 25# KB:
50 jumprope singles
21 KB snatches (first right arm, then left arm, 21 reps each)
5 deadlifts with the fat bar (2" barbell) @ 143#
50 jumprope singles
15 KB snatches (right and left)
5 deadlifts
50 jumprope singles
9 KB snatches (right and left)
5 deadlifts

Took me 8 minutes, 2 seconds, and was a good sweaty cardio workout. :) I'll have to look up what a "halo" is...

Mel
01-10-2011, 09:52 PM
:faint:

I am a wimp and use arm guards when I do KB snatches. Even for Turkish Get ups. Just having the bell rest on my arm gives me a big blue bruise!

ResilientWoman
01-11-2011, 05:40 AM
What I'm doing with my KB training - January 2011.

http://nofearfitness.com/articles/10000-swing-challenge.php

Scared but facing my fear and doing it anyway.

jamsk8r
01-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Mel, I haven't learned the TGU yet, but it's on my list for when I need something new to play with. I also want to try again with the 1 arm BB OH squat. Last time I tried was a year or so ago, I just could not get down into the squat without losing it, even with the 15# BB. My trainer is an ace at that one.

RW, going to check out your link now...

jamsk8r
01-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Wow, wow, wow! That is a killer challenge, RW! :carrot:

TapasLover
01-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Hi all,
I am very excited to try kettle bells but have a question for all you experts:
I live in an apartment building with hardwood floors. I fear the wrath of my downstairs neighbor in terms of the noise my workouts could make. If I put down an extra rug or mat of some sort, will the motion/ floor-meets-kettlebell/ sound of me moving about be very intense? How often to exercises require that you move the kettlebell around ON the floor?

Thanks so much in advance-- trying to figure out if this is a feasible "at home" workout without offending my neighbors!

nelie
01-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Uhh... during a kettlebell workout, the only time a kettlebell should really touch the floor is when you are taking a break or moving to another exercise :)

I'd look into some exercise mats, We have some that we bought at an exercise equipment store but they are heavy and can be costly. I did see some cheaper ones at Sears and I know I've seen some at Dick's sporting goods. I have to say that I have almost dropped a kettlebell once or twice but luckily I don't think it has ever happened.

nelie
01-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Someone mentioned Bob Harper's DVDs in another thread so I went to collagevideo to see if I could see a clip/see reviews. They both have 3/5 and I watched them both. The first one has him showing the snatch and wow, the kettlebell is way in front of the body, I can't imagine how someone wouldn't be majorly banging their wrists in that one. The swings also look a bit off in the second one but I couldn't pinpoint what. so please Bob Harper, stay away from kettlebells :)

Actually I decided to watch all the kettlebell DVD clips on collagevideo. Umm.. All of them have extremely bad form, some worse than others. I can't imagine you not hurting your back, wrists, etc doing any of those videos. I think we could do a 'how not to kettlebell' based on those clips :)

TapasLover
01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Nelie thanks so much! Looks like I'm going for it. And no, I won't go throwing them around the apartment:) Just wanted to make sure the overall routines weren't similar to the sounds moving furniture across the floor for an hour each day would make. I appreciate your insight!

Aunt Sheshie
01-13-2011, 12:53 PM
:faint:

I am a wimp and use arm guards when I do KB snatches. Even for Turkish Get ups. Just having the bell rest on my arm gives me a big blue bruise!

Same here... first time I ever did snatches, my forearms were really bruised... I never pick up a KB now without arm guards...

Hi all,
I am very excited to try kettle bells but have a question for all you experts:
I live in an apartment building with hardwood floors. I fear the wrath of my downstairs neighbor in terms of the noise my workouts could make. If I put down an extra rug or mat of some sort, will the motion/ floor-meets-kettlebell/ sound of me moving about be very intense? How often to exercises require that you move the kettlebell around ON the floor?

Thanks so much in advance-- trying to figure out if this is a feasible "at home" workout without offending my neighbors!

I've dropped my KB a few times, but it was just plain ol' not paying attention on my part... honestly, as nelie said, the noise should be minimal, & you shouldn't worry about annoying your downstairs neighbors...

nelie
01-13-2011, 01:03 PM
When I first did snatches, I bruised my wrists badly. With practice though, I've got it down so I don't bang them. Took me a while though to figure out how to do them.

Aunt Sheshie
01-16-2011, 04:56 PM
In another kettlebell forum I've recently started visiting, they're having a 10,000 Swings Challenge this month... doing the math, with 31 days January, that works out to about 323 swings per day... well, I haven't been doing anywhere near that many swings a day, usually I do around 100, along with the rest of my routine... so, I thought maybe I'd do my own private challenge & up my swings to 200 per day... with the 15 days remaining in January, that'll be 3000 more swings this month... sounds pretty intimidating!!!.. but I'm gonna give it a good try...

nelie
01-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Last year sometime I had seen the 10,000 swings challenge but didn't follow through on doing it.

It comes from this site as far as I know:
http://nofearfitness.com/articles/10000-swing-challenge.php

It sounds fun but it currently wouldn't fit into my schedule.

Aunt Sheshie
01-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks, nelie, yeah, I had already followed their links to the NoFearFitness site... I've already done 50 swings today... I decided to break it up into segments, at least for the first few days... I may try 100 this afternoon, then 50 more in the evening, to give me my 200 for the day... who knows, by the end of the month I might be able to do 300/day... wouldn't that be something for this 61 year old lady?..

jenjen
02-01-2011, 10:41 AM
I've been working with a trainer using kettlebells as the main focus of our sessions. She's not RKC certified, but seems to know her stuff. I've bought "Enter the Kettlebell" and "Kettlebells for Dummies" and those have been really helpful.

At the end of Feb, I'm taking level 1 kettlebell workshop with RKC trainers. The class has a maximum of 12 students & there are at least 2 instructors. I'm so excited. I think it will really help my workouts. :D

crystal422
02-20-2011, 11:55 PM
I did my first kettlebell work out last week. I went to ironbody kettlebell last week and went again tonight. I used the 9 lb last week and tried the 5 lb tonight. I am going to stick with the 5 for now. My instructor is intense. Love the calorie burn though.

GinaXOXO
02-22-2011, 12:19 PM
I have just started kettlenetics. I know some of you don't consider that to be a kettle bell workout and that is fine. I don't care how it is categorized and love the workout. Tonight my husband and I are going to start a workout that you might approve of. It is body sculpt by Lauren Brooks. We have previewed it and will do all of the demonstrations before doing the 12 minute workout. We will evaluate how long we need to do the demonstrations before we can go straight to the workout-- my guess is that we will do the demonstrations 3-5 times. Later, once we have the moves down, we will do the 12 minute workout twice.

I was tempted to start lifting heavy but decided kettle bells look more fun and this particular DVD seemed to be a good fit.

I would love to join you all. Is there a kettle bell challenge on here?

sacha
02-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Lauren Brooks is a great instructor, have fun!

GinaXOXO
02-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Thank you, Sacha. I couldn't help but get my kettlebell while I was watching the demonstrations. I thought the two arm swings were fun---but thought of the 10,000 monthly challenge mentioned---and thought there is no way!! 340+ swings a day??? OHMY!

I will let you know how it goes.

If any of you have anything to share that might inspire us, please, use this opportunity to tell me how well you are doing. (:

nelie
02-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Gina - saying something isn't a kettlebell workout isn't saying it isn't a workout :) I approve of whatever workouts work for people.

jenjen
02-22-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm getting excited about my intro course this weekend! (Wow! I never in my life thought I'd say I was excited about exercising. :D )

Here's the schedule:

8:30 - 8:55 - Mobility Training
8:55 - 9:00 - Break
9:00 - 9:35 - Safety, Deadlift, Box-Squat, Swing
9:35 - 10:00 - Turkish Getup
10:00 - 10:30 - Clean / Press
10:30 - 10:55 - Snatch
10:55 - 11:00 - Break
11:00 - 11:45 - Swing Review / Group Workout
11:45 - 12:15- Stretching / Cool Down / Q & A

I've never even tried the Turkish Getup, so I'm kind of nervous.

GinaXOXO
02-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Great workout last night!! I love it!! I am horrible at push ups!! I am going to do kettlenetics tonight and the kettlebell 12 workout tonight and a walk or elliptical workout.

Tejas
02-23-2011, 12:56 PM
OK, I'm genuinely confused. What's the purpose of doing so many swings? Isn't there a point of diminishing returns or of overtraining? :shrug:

nelie
02-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Tejas, the point is similar to the 100 pushup challenge :) It is just something to do for fun. Although kettlebells are 'heavy', doing that many swings is really more of a cardio workout than a weight workout. Also, kettlebell swings mostly work your legs than arms/upper body although it is there. If I was doing that many swings, I'd use something lightish, like 25 lbs. Not sure I could do that many swings with 35 or 45 lbs.

GinaXOXO
02-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Didn't get my workout in this morning. So, after work I did the 20 minute kettlenetics workout followed by the 12 minute Lauren Brooks workout. I still love it! Then took my dog for a walk. Life is good. I love being able to get a little strength training in without being bored. Honestly, it is fun!!

I am going to get my body fat measured by Bod Pod Body Composition Tracking System to provide concrete information on body fat and lean body mass that leaves the guesswork behind. It is $39 the first time and $19 for additional tests. I want to do one now and recheck in 3 weeks and then after 6 weeks to see if my body fat is decreasing and muscle increasing. What do you think??

Tejas
02-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks, Nelie. I see...just one of those "fun" things to do! I did swings with a 32.5 pound KB and couldn't imagine doing 100's of those in a day!

AriRuns
02-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Does anyone know of a good source on the web for some intro workouts? I recently bought a kettlebell because I found it on sale, but I don't really have a clue what to do with it. :/

nelie
02-25-2011, 09:10 AM
I like the Art of Strength - Minute of Strength videos in order to work on form
http://www.artofstrength.com/video_list.php?show_all=Minute%20of%20Strength

They are only a minute long but form is really the most important thing when it comes to kettlebells. Without proper form, your workout won't be as effective and you could hurt yourself.

ringmaster
02-25-2011, 10:13 PM
thanks for AOS link, I'm watching the videos now.

How is the instruction on the Lauren Brooks DVDs? I've watched and read Enter The Kettlebell but I'm still struggling a bit with cleans and snatches.. I think I'm having trouble finding that power in my hips to power up the KB and I start to use my arm muscle to make up for it, but of course I'm too weak to throw up or curl 20lbs so I wind up banging up my bicep or wrist. I was thinking of trying a lower weight KB, but then that might encourage me to use me arms instead of my hip strength...

nelie
02-25-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm not sure if AOS talks about it but there are a few snatch/clean Minutes of Strength videos, did you look at those?

It took me a bit of practice to get snatches. The visual of punching the sky helps me.

Tejas
02-26-2011, 12:18 AM
I looked at the AOS videos on the KB. When I am doing swings I swing much higher in front. Is that a waste of energy?

GinaXOXO
02-26-2011, 01:10 AM
I love Lauren Brooks. She shows the cleans and snatches. I am confident that I am doing them right so I think she explains them very well. Aren't there some video's on her website and youtube??

nelie
02-26-2011, 08:48 AM
I looked at the AOS videos on the KB. When I am doing swings I swing much higher in front. Is that a waste of energy?

It seems in RKC kettlebell swings, the swings are lower, at about shoulder height. In Crossfit, we go all the way to the top. I'm not sure if one is better than the other but I do both, depending on what I'm doing.

Tejas
02-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks, Nelie. Mine are usually about as high as my forehead. I do 2 sets of 25 at 32.5 pounds, and am taking the weight and reps up as I can manage.

I don't see myself doing those snatches, but I'll work on my imagination :lol:

ps: I just looked at Body by Boyle, which is the site my trainer uses. He swings the KB high enough that his arms are straight out from his shoulders, and the KB seems to continue up on a trajectory to about eye level. For what that's worth....

GinaXOXO
03-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Still loving kettlebells and kettlenetics!!

This weekend I get to do the bod pod test and I am very excited. A part of me wishes that I did it before I started kettlebells because my body is changing quickly.

I feel great and do not dread the workout. I am so grateful to have found a fun workout that strengthens my body. I have never enjoyed free weights--I like how they perform but find it boring--kettlenetics/kettlebells perform and are fun!

GinaXOXO
03-09-2011, 08:10 AM
I have worked up to a 20 pound kettlebell. I love the workouts and don't miss a day. I rotate kettlenetics and Lauren Brooks workouts and then take my furry friend for a walk. I think that post workout walk helps relieve soreness, or so I have heard. My legs still get slightly sore. My back is so much stronger.

Tejas
03-09-2011, 10:32 PM
I increased my reps from 25 to 35 with 32.5 pound KB. I don't want to be a nag, but are you sure doing those every day is good idea? (This is your mother talking :lol: )

GinaXOXO
03-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Wow, good job on the 35 pound kettlebell!

Kettlenetics is more cardio than strength training. The weights are really light (it comes with a 4 pound kettlebell.)

That said, I thought I read that even regular kettlebells are ok every day. Maybe I am remembering wrong.

Tejas
03-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks...actually I did 2 sets of 35. Today I did one set of 40, followed by a set of 35, with the 32.5 pound KB. That was it though, no more of those for a few days ;)

ResilientWoman
07-13-2011, 04:42 AM
Just popping in to say, 'hi.'

fitmom
07-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Still loving kettlebells and kettlenetics!!

This weekend I get to do the bod pod test and I am very excited. A part of me wishes that I did it before I started kettlebells because my body is changing quickly.

I feel great and do not dread the workout. I am so grateful to have found a fun workout that strengthens my body. I have never enjoyed free weights--I like how they perform but find it boring--kettlenetics/kettlebells perform and are fun!

I never liked free weights either. I love kettlebells and have been using them for several months. It's helped me reshape my torso considerably. I'm currently at 15 lbs. which is a big deal for me b/c you can see I'm kind of a smaller person (see my stats) but I'm hoping to get to 20 lbs. soon. I love the cleans, snatches and especially the swing moves. You can really feel every muscle in your body working together. It is fun, I agree.

GinaXOXO
10-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Hi! How is everyone? Are you still doing your kettlebell workouts? Has anyone completed the 10000 swing challenge?

I stopped my kettlebell workouts to do P90X workouts with my girlfriends. It is a good workout and I like the instructor. Bit, I like my kettlebells better. I am a creature of habit. Although the kettlebell moves are different in my DVD, they are still quite similar. In P90X every day is different, every workout has a lot of variety, and I don't like that.

My heart rate monitor shows about the same burn. I think kettlebells shape my core better. My abs, back, buns, and triceps seem to be stronger.

I got a Paul Katami Kombos DVD that I really like.

My question: do you think it is ok to workout every day with kettlebells? Part of the reason I switched to P90X was that I was starting to feel some tightness in my mid back. I don't know if my form was getting sloppy or if I was overdoing it.

nelie
10-16-2011, 08:41 PM
It might be that your form is a bit off. I looked at a few clips of Paul Katami and if you are swinging your bell like him, I'd expect your back to hurt. His form really isn't that good and he seems to do things that you should really not do with a kettlebell of any decent weight.

BABYPHAT4ME
01-23-2012, 08:54 AM
anyone in here till doing kettlebell workout

GaryHigham
01-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Love kettlebells, I focus more on barbell but love to warm up with kb! you doing it still BABYPHAT4ME?

mellyme123
01-31-2012, 11:41 AM
anyone in here till doing kettlebell workout

Hi Babyphat,
I'm new to the board and have never done kb but would love to start. Are you doing a particular routine/workout ?

I'm always open to trying new ways to workout...keeps me interested and motivated to continue and this looks pretty cool!

fitmom
02-06-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm doing a challenge with kettlebells that I found online. It's a challenge to do 100 swings a day for 30 days. I started on Sunday and so far, so good. My posterior chain is weak and flabby (sorry for the TMI!) and I'm determined to have this year be a sarong-optional summer. No more hiding my saggy bum, lol. Plus, I want to lean out a touch more and the swings promise to do that. I'm swinging a 25-pounder which is freakin' hard but in a good way. KB's are just so much fun, love them. :)