Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - marmite: love it or hate it?

View Full Version : marmite: love it or hate it?

grrrkgrrrl
07-18-2010, 05:09 AM
When i was first introduced to marmite i HATED it. months and months and months later, i had some twiglets and i kinda liked them, then someone pointed out to me that they're marmite flavour.

a few years down the line, i tried marmite again, and i absolutely love it now!

what are your thoughts on marmite --> and lovers, what do you have it with?
i've been having marmite and cheddar toasted pitta bread as lunch some days!!

i believe it's also a kinda healthy spread (and beautifully low cal), now if only it wasn't high on salt i would be having it with everything!

SilverLife
07-18-2010, 05:31 AM
I use a version by Organic Gourment, called Savoury Spread. It's not as salty as Marmite or Vegemite. It's yummy! The ingredients are nutritional yeast extract and sea salt. Gluten-free and vegan.

Here's the link:

http://www.organic-gourmet.com/

I also make a paste from nutritional yeast flakes and olive oil, sometimes adding a bit of roasted sesame seed oil. It's quite different from the Savoury Spread, but very nice as well.

Yeast spreads on rye toast or Rye Krisp with sliced tomato, or just with butter is grand.

I used to eat the yeast spreads on wheat toast with butter, but stopped eating wheat.

There are some other yeast spreads in Europe, too.

Grrrkgrrrl, I'm glad you enjoy them! :)

Rosinante
07-18-2010, 09:03 AM
As long as it's not spread too thickly, I like it. It's especially good on hot toast, with butter, then marmite, then peanut butter. Hm, haven't eaten that many carbs all at once for a while!

silverbirch
07-18-2010, 03:36 PM
It's a source of vitamin B12 which vegetarians can eat.

Nice with scrambled eggs. Spread on the hot buttered toast before you pile on the scramblies.

(My SO hates it. I eat it privately. He eats - yuck! - fried eggs privately.)

nelie
07-18-2010, 03:50 PM
I like marmite. I've been wanting to get my hands on vegemite but that seems rarer here than marmite.

oodlesofnoodles
07-21-2010, 09:37 PM
If you have a Cost Plus World Market around there nelie, try there. I've seen it there, among other imports.

glassbutterfly
07-28-2010, 02:19 PM
I love Marmite! I tried it for the first time about 2 years ago when the Stop & Shop over here started selling British food. Love it on toast with a good sharp cheddar cheese.

tinycities
07-28-2010, 02:30 PM
I absolutely love Marmite!

I agree with Rosinante and love it on hot buttered toast with peanut butter (so happy to see another person that has it like this, I didn't realise other folks liked this combination too!). As others have mentioned, it also goes really well with a decent mature cheddar, as it is, or put under the grill to melt. Yum! It's also just great plain, with butter, on toast or bread. Looking forward to seeing the other suggestions people come up with!

grrrkgrrrl
07-28-2010, 04:21 PM
i have been having a lot of marmite-cheddar sandwiches lately.. i find that marmite gives a fantastic flavour to food for only a tiny amount of calories AND it's packed with goodness.

i read that many people add it to soups/broths, but i haven't tried it yet!

L R K
07-28-2010, 05:06 PM
I prefer Vegemite :)

P.Butter and Vegemite together - oh boy is that good!