Old 07-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #1  
Getting healthy!

Height: 5'7"

Default Got my Vibram Five Fingers!

I've been looking to get a pair of Vibrams for a long time, ever since I first seem them. When I get out on trails and hiking, I hate using regular running shoes. My feet are fairly flat, so the usual arch support ends up cramping my foot and makes it very hard for me to walk naturally in them. I usually go in my sandals or barefoot, but sandals aren't too good for trails and I usually end up hurting my feet when I go barefoot.

So! I've been looking for a pair of these for what feels like forever. It feels like you're walking naturally barefoot, but there's the protection you need so you don't end up getting hurt. Unfortunately, the site has been out of stock for a really long time, due to extreme popular demand. I was lucky enough to find a running store around here that had a few in my size left in stock.

My original plan was to get a pair of Sprints in blue, but ...beggars can't be choosers at this point. I've waited long enough, damnit! :P So, I bought a pair of gray and green KSO, which apparently are the most versatile of ALL their products, which is pretty cool.

In my upcoming visit to NY (Not the city) I plan on doing a lot of hiking and rock climbing with my SO, while wearing these, so I'll be sure to let you all know how they fair.

Last edited by Paramedic; 07-17-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 236/236/160

Height: 5' 8"

OOOH I've been looking at getting the Flow ones for water use. Is there a lot of material between the toes? I feel like that would pester me...
zarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #3  
Getting healthy!

Zarra, I don't feel that there's a lot of material in between the toes. To me, the material is relativity thin, still giving me the feeling that I'm pretty much barefoot. The only thing that keeps it feeling a little different is the rubber on the tips and bottom of your toes. It takes a little time to get use to.

But, that's my experience. I would suggest trying on a pair before any sort of purchase, because they're definitely not something you would expect until you've actually felt them on your feet!

Last edited by Paramedic; 07-17-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/159/155

Cool! A bunch of people at my gym wear those, but I always wondered if they would be annoying between the toes.

Let us know how they work out for you!
ms hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #5  
Getting healthy!

Ms hodge, they certainly take some time to get use to. They have specific type for in door type of work outs, too.

But, I will certainly keep ya'll updated on how they work out for me.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:43 AM   #6  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I'd love to hear how your cool-looking shoes work on rocks, as I have been considering climbing when I get to a lower weight. It's awesome that you were able to get them! I hope you enjoy them!
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #7  
In it for the long haul.

S/C/G: 275/ticker/150

Never heard of these but wow! cool! I have never been a fan of big clunky shoes outside. I am always in sandals flip flops or barefoot if im in my own backyard unless its winter. I looked through their website, and it says that you have to work into running with them, and retrain yourself not to hit with your heal but the 'fore foot'. I never really did that in the first place, maybe because I dont run much? Anyways, if they didnt cost so much I would go get some , another day perhaps.
Phoenix301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:10 AM   #8  
Samantha417

They're interesting. I saw a couple of people wearing them at the 5K I ran last week. I don't think I could wear them though cause I have a heavy step. They look cool though.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #9  
Getting healthy!

I finally got around to trying these things out for the first time yesterday. I originally intended to take the dog out for a walk and practice my run/walk work out. However, there was a sudden down pour. I figured it'd be a perfect time to test out these shoes that are partly designed for wet terrain. (Unfortunately, the dog did not want to come with... She's such a baby. :P )

Let me say, while they do take a bit to get use to, when you do, they feel amazing! This was the first time while running with anything on my feet, that my feet did not hurt what so ever! It all felt so damn natural and I didn't even have to worry about voiding rocks or anything. And despite there being a huge down pour when I went out, my feet stayed pretty dry! That was certainly something I was not expecting.

Most people say they're really put off by the looks and would worry about how other people view them... but I just forgot I was wearing them because of how comfortable they were.

Over all, I really love these shoes. When it does get to the point where I will need another pair, I will gladly fork over the money to get some more. Though, I still have to test them in the up coming visit while we're hiking. I'll be trying to see if they effect my balance or anything at all. Most people who use them say they actually help with balance, because you can actually feel your toes gripping on rocks and roots was you run/ walk over them.

So, another review will be coming up in a couple of weeks!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #10  
~ Jillian Junkie ~

S/C/G: 220/175ish/165

Height: 5'10

I've never heard of those, they look interesting! Awesome.

May I ask where in NY you will be going? (You can PM me if you want, I'm only curious because I live in NY too and we have a lot of trails where I live...)

Last edited by singforthedayx; 08-10-2010 at 10:21 PM.
singforthedayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #11  
Getting healthy!

Sent via PM.

Where is it that you live?

Last edited by Paramedic; 08-10-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #12  
In it for the long haul.

S/C/G: 275/ticker/150

I was curious about getting a pair when you first posted this and ever since i have been thinking about it.. now with your review I REALLY want a pair lol..I also would freak out about someone looking at them and being like 'what the heck?'..and my mom also is creeped out by them.. but i personally hate hate HATE wearing regular 'heavy' shoes outside, im always wearing sandals unless its winter or if im walking/hiking etc..I usually cant wait to be barefooted ..this just makes me want a pair more :P

Last edited by Phoenix301; 08-11-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Phoenix301 is offline   Reply With Quote