Old 07-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #1  
A new begining!

S/C/G: 263/240/135

Height: 5'5"

Default prevention of loose skin

hey ladies, I'm just starting on my weight loss journey but I wonder what are some ways to prevent loose skin. I have heard not to loose it to fast but, what are some vitamins, herbs, creams etc. that some of you may have tried?
Elijahs phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

I haven't tried anything special, but I make sure I wear sunscreen when I'm out to prevent further damage. :P

Last edited by Rhythm; 07-17-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Preventing loose skin - the speed (or lack there of ) weight loss isn't a factor, nor is creams, vitamins, herbs and gizmos. A lot of it depends on how long you've been overweight for, your age and genetics. But I urge you not to put off weight loss because you fear some loose skin, that might not even be there.

And if you ask me, it's lots better to have some loose skin, then to have nice taut smooth skin that is covering up pounds ] of excess fat .

If you should wind up with some excess skin, it is VERY easy to *hide it* with the right clothing. I know that I do, that would be my size 2 and 4 clothing . When I was super morbidly obese - there was no hiding the fat. No, there was no covering it up - ever.

We always say around here, if you're unhappy with the results, you can always gain it back - something tells me that won't be necessary though.

Besides, loose skin won't keep you from fitting in restaurant booths, amusement park rides, air plane seats. It won't make you huff and puff up a flight of stairs. It won't keep you from having a fabulous wardrobe. It won't keep you from having boundless energy and stamina. It also doesn't cause horrific debilitating and deadly diseases that excess fat does - like heart disease, stroke, diabetes, numerous cancers, gout, skin problems, liver problems, arthritis and a host of other totally avoidable health issues.

Eat well and exercise. I think you'll be quite pleased with your results. I know I am.

Oh and take a look at this link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body...skin-faqs.html

Last edited by rockinrobin; 07-17-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: typo
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #4  
A new begining!

Thanks for the great post robin! I was planing on loosing weight no matter what but was wondering if there is anything i could do. Seems like I have some things on my side though I'm only 21 and I gained about 70 lbs of it only 4 years ago. The only thing is I would like to look good enough for a bikini.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #5  

Do you have stretch marks? Those indicate rapid weight gain. I consider my loose skin a badge of honor. I didn't have it 200 pounds ago, but I could hardly do anything. Save your money on the lotions, creams, etc.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #6  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Yeah what RR said

As for the bikini? I wear one and since my loose skin is on my legs I hide it with a sarong
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahs phoenix View Post
Thanks for the great post robin! I was planing on loosing weight no matter what but was wondering if there is anything i could do. Seems like I have some things on my side though I'm only 21 and I gained about 70 lbs of it only 4 years ago. The only thing is I would like to look good enough for a bikini.
You're going to be smokin'!
You've definitely got age on your side!

Use this to your advantage- I urge you to take control of the food and your weight now while you are young. Don't wait like I did till I was 42. Find delicious healthy, lower calorie foods to eat. Don't feel deprived in giving up the junk, feel deprived by EATING the junk and remaining overweight and not being the very best you. Get excited about the changes you are about to make and MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

Do you have a plan in place, a strategy, a mode of attack? How do you plan on getting this done?
Old 07-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #8  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

sometimes it's also luck of the draw, genetics. My friend lost about 40 pounds and it's very noticeable, I lost almost a hundred and forty (holy fkkn ****, as if) and i can honestly say it's not that bad at all - jiggly under the arm but it sure beats what was there before. It's manageable, don't let it deter you in the slightest from getting the weight off - the benefits far outweigh the bit of skin left behind -- who knows, you could be a lucky one!!!

*** as a disclaimer, I also lost all that weight over 2 1/2 YEARS it was NOT speedy or drastic in any way, i think that contributed a lot !!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #9  
A new begining!

well I'm trying to make this a lifestyle change so I'm not on any mainstream diet. In the last month I have cut alot of things out. I switched to whole grains got rid of all the white foods. I cut out anything fried switched to fruit for snacks. I've been eating lots of chicken and fish. Trying to stay away processed foods. So basically I'm trying to stick to whole foods. Then for the last two weeks I have been slowing cutting down my portions. Today I left quite a bit of food on my plate with food still on it because I was full! I know that sounds kinda funny but, I'm the person that would clear my plate and have seconds!

My diet kinda looks like this

Breakfast: low sugar cereal or oatmeal sometimes 2 eggs and toast
Lunch: sandwich or leftover dinner
snack: fruit
Dinner: Chicken, fish, turkey, some type of starch, and veggies

Exercise: I have been dieing to get outside! but, Its been 110 here. When It does cool down I have a bike and a bike trailer for my son. Me and hubby love to go fishing(not really an exercise per say) I live within 2 hours of several national parks and lots of great hiking spots. But for now I'm stuck indoors so that really limits me. Any ideas?

I was only 245 a few months ago but I stopped breastfeeding my son and forgot to cut back.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

We are having 110 degree weather here too. Yesterday I got up at 5:00 and went for a run at 6 AM. It was 78 degrees, so nice! Once the sun is over the horizon it's just too hot. I have an exercise bike which is my back up plan. I also have dvd's that I can use. My favorite thing is running/fast walking so I really try to get up early or go right before dark. It just takes some determination. It's so worth the effort, I feel so much better when I exercise.

Forgot to answer your first question- I have loose skin on my thighs and stomach, but I was obese for over 20 years. I can cover it fairly easy with clothes too. You have a very good chance that your skin will snap back into place. Or it might gradually go back over time. Either way you will be so glad that you did the work and got the weight off. Not only for your health, but also as a good example for your son.

Last edited by H8cake; 07-17-2010 at 10:15 PM.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahs phoenix View Post
well I'm trying to make this a lifestyle change so I'm not on any mainstream diet. In the last month I have cut alot of things out. I switched to whole grains got rid of all the white foods. I cut out anything fried switched to fruit for snacks. I've been eating lots of chicken and fish. Trying to stay away processed foods. So basically I'm trying to stick to whole foods. Then for the last two weeks I have been slowing cutting down my portions. Today I left quite a bit of food on my plate with food still on it because I was full! I know that sounds kinda funny but, I'm the person that would clear my plate and have seconds!

My diet kinda looks like this

Breakfast: low sugar cereal or oatmeal sometimes 2 eggs and toast
Lunch: sandwich or leftover dinner
snack: fruit
Dinner: Chicken, fish, turkey, some type of starch, and veggies

Exercise: I have been dieing to get outside! but, Its been 110 here. When It does cool down I have a bike and a bike trailer for my son. Me and hubby love to go fishing(not really an exercise per say) I live within 2 hours of several national parks and lots of great hiking spots. But for now I'm stuck indoors so that really limits me. Any ideas?

I was only 245 a few months ago but I stopped breastfeeding my son and forgot to cut back.
Lots of us here are on our own *customized plans*, choosing to eat whole foods - low fat proteins, veggies, veggies and more veggies, some whole grains, and some fruit.

Along with the healthy diet, I've had to incorporate calorie counting. It's built in accountability and FORCED portion control. There are many on line calorie counting websites to get you started, such as fitday.com. You might want to check it out. The healthy foods with the calorie counting is a great combination.

Exercise? I love the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVD's. They've easy to follow, fast and effective. You can also just pop on the radio and dance, pick up a hula hoop, a jump rope. I would also purchase an inexpensive resistance band - marvelous for strength training, which is a very important exercise element.