Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/275/170

Height: 5'9''

Default Wellbutrin XL

My psychiatrist put me on Wellbutrin XL about 2 months ago. I am up to 300mg for the last month or so. She thought Wellbutrin XL was a good fit for me because of my "atypical depression" symptoms ie: sleeping too much, eating too much. I don't think that's so *atypical* myself, but whatever. The medication apparently is supposed to help increase energy and may curb appetite. Lemme tell you... the appetite part is not working for me. It may be helping me with sleep but it's not drastic. I was so reluctant to not change medications because I thought this was going to be a break through but it really hasn't. I go on Monday and I am going to tell her this hasn't really helped me.

Is two months long enough? I would feel a difference by now wouldn't I?
SusietheQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #2  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 167/145/110

Height: 5'0''

I've been on 300 mg of Wellbutrin XL for... sheesh, I don't even know how many years now. 3?

Initially, it helped curb my appetite. But that wore off after a couple weeks just like the other side affects did.

Are you still way overeating, or are you just not losing as much appetite as you'd hoped you would?

I don't think eating and sleeping too much are "atypical" symptoms of depression. According to my psychiatrist, those can be pretty common symptoms. I had/have those. Wellbutrin helped with the energy levels a bit, but not drastically.
chemicalksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #3  

Not sure if this is 100% accurate, by my Dr. told me it will take a good three solid months for you to feel the full effect of anti-depressent, anxiety, etc...meds. I'm on Prestique now, but I tried Wellbutrin for depression/stress and to help quit smoking a few years ago. It took away cigg cravings, and it even took away my desire to eat, completely. For whatever reason, I can't rememer now, but I quit taking it, and had tried it again to quit smoking, help take the edge off, etc... and it didn't do anything for me this time around.

Prestique does take the "edge" off, but I still have some moments where I am so negative/self talk, and just down right pissed. Doesn't last long (and it's usually bf related).
I want to wean myself off of these, but first do some research and try and find more natural ways to deal with stress, and I know one is exercising and I hate to exercise.
I had to cut these in half not long ago, didn't have the money to pick up my meds, and I felt weird, disoriented, and my brain fuzzy, almost dizzy. I have an appointment with my Dr. in Oct. so I'll see how I can (if I should) wean myself off of these.
I think it's interferring with my weight loss, this and I'm 44 and not as active as I need/should be.
I'm so glad I found this site/posts...I feel I can talk and open up and get some others' suggestions and just be me!

Last edited by LisaSue; 08-26-2010 at 10:18 AM.
LisaSue is offline   Reply With Quote