Old 07-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolia #35

Good morning everyone! It is already over 80 here in the south. Heat indexes around 109 today. I have to take something to the post office today but other than that I think I will stay inside. The house stays cool until around 3 pm or so then the ac just can't keep up. It doesn't get stifling in here but can get up to low 80's and with our humidity that is pretty miserable.

Had a fun time swimming with T yesterday. Heard all about his world travels. He told me some funny stories about things that happened on their vacation and we talked about what he ate, what was new that he hadn't ever eaten before, things he did and such. His dad was sound asleep in the house. I guess FedEx had some kind of big computer meltdown on Wednesday and poor Tom stayed all night and didn't get home until 5 am on Thursday so he took Thursday off and was dead to the world in his bedroom while we swam.

Maggie: I don't think I have ever heard of chess bars but chess pie is sure popular down here. I am not that big of a fan but it isn't bad. They do some pretty good though. You must need a whole room just for your cookbooks alone. You seem to always be getting a "new" one from Will that he has found somewhere. Most of my cookbooks are diet in some way. I have a Betty Crocker one I have had for years and a Fanny Farmer cookbook that I have used so much it is falling apart. I usually get new recipes online at allrecipes.com. They have yet to fail me when I am looking for something.

Jean: Jack hates chocolate cake unless it is German chocolate. I love chocolate cake, but I like others as well. I am a big red velvet fan and I like white cake as well. The absolutely most phenomenal cake I have ever had was my son Jay's and his wife Alicia's wedding cake. It was just a white cake and white icing of some kind but it was absolutely terrific. I don't know who made it, the reception was at a restaurant in the old Stardust hotel in Las Vegas. I am a fan of cupcakes and am looking forward to visiting this cupcake shop in Panama City when we are there just to see what they have. Jack is a frosting lover, me not so much. A little goes a long way with me and he could eat the stuff straight out of the can. ICK! Oh, I never did answer about the pool. Yes, it is open from noon until evening I believe, but we haven't been over there even once this year.

Well I better go and get things started for the day. You all have a great weekend! I imagine we will keep hunkered down inside. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a beautiful cool sunny morning in my corner of the world. Higher temperatures and humidity are on the way according to the weatherman. I'm on a search for some I Bonds we bought for the grandkids and I put "somewhere." The interest is so low right now I don't know if we will buy more or wait and see if it goes up later in the fall.

"Gma" -- Thank you for starting the new thread this morning. I'll bet Thomas had the best stories to share with you! How far does Kelly and family live from you? It's supposed to be back in the 90s this afternoon so I plan to stay home today. I think we will go to Kolby's game tomorrow and head to the lake on Sunday.

Maggie -- Thank you for sharing the recipes. Out of curiosity I Googled Chess Bars last night and found all kinds of recipes. I've had lemon bars before, but they were sprinkled with powdered sugar. They are good!

Susan -- How are you feeling today? Better I hope!

I need to get dressed and get busy. Have a nice day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is another hot humid day here in the Heartland but it is par for the course so I will not be a complainer because I can't fix it. I am sitting here in a shorts outfit that I definetly don't wear outside but is good for inside wear with my tennie runners. My rotisserie came today and I only ordered it Tuesday and they said it would take 7 to 10 days. It was free shipping and they Fed-exed it and put a big smile on my face for sure. Needless to say I was glad we got that thingie to put it on the other day. It is a newer model than I had before and quiet nice looking. I am going to have fun reading through the booklet that came with it and getting to know it.

DONNA FAYE The books Will gets for me all have some worthy recipes in them and nice to peruse. And the fact that they look brand new and only cost mere cents is a big bonus. I certainly won't feel bad if I canabilize them and cut out the recipes I want to save. I am not really a cake person but love pie. I ate one of the 2 point muffins I baked yesterday and the fellas polished off the rest.

JEAN I didn't even realize they still sold those bonds. I certainlly hope they don't de-value them. I do remember that they did make a wonderful gift.

SUSAN Thinking about you.

I didn't feel quite up to snuff yesterday and didn't eat anything till dinner. I feel better this day but not back to exact and a bit rumblie in my tummy. I think I'll go make a smoothie.

Everyone have a lovely day. Type at y'all later.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #4  

Good morning, ladies! Hot and humid.

I'm feel much better today but still have the cough. It always hangs on for me. I don't have to go back to the doctor until August 16.

It never rains but it pours around here. When I went out to bring in the paper this morning, I found water pouring out of the ground smack between me and my neighbor. We've called the water department and they put us on the list. If it's their problem, they will fix it, if not they will let us know who needs to get the plumber. Neither one of us have any disruption or pressure issues with the water in the house.

Maggie, enjoy your new rotisserie!

Jean, hope you find you bonds without much trouble!

Faye, Thomas will certainly have a lot to tell at school when he goes back. I'd love to hear his stories. I don't know that I'd cancel the cruise. It's not as though that happens often to tourists. They will not knowingly take passengers into danger - bad for business. Heck, they have murders in Vegas and all over every day. I watched Police women of Memphis last night and its a scary place to live, but no worse then the east end in Newport News. It's sad that our world has come to this.

Hopefully they will be coming and doinging something about this leak. Always on the weekend - I sure hope it's their problem.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #5  

Good morning everybody. It rained here last night so it is going to be even more humid, if that is even possible.

I have to run to the post office first thing this morning because I didn't get it done yesterday.

Susan: We haven't thrown out going on the cruise. For now, we are keeping an eye out as to what the cruise lines are going to do. Whenever an issue happens like this, ie there was a mugging of a cruise tour group just a while back in the Bahamas I think it was and they suspended going there. We don't plan on going on sightseeing tours there anyway, just a shopping and beach excursion. I am glad you are feeling better. This weather can take it all out of a person with your problems I am sure. That's the good ole city municipals, put you on the list! Hope you don't end up with residual damage to your condos from the water flooding something.

Jean: Thomas lives about 10 miles from us. It is kind of across town from where we are. Memphis is so spread out that pretty much any travel from one suburb to the other is a distance. We can get on the freeway and be there in about 15 minutes though. Yes, the bonds are definitely not paying what they used to. I think T's other grandparents might buy him bonds. We decided when the kids were born we would be the ones to just buy regular gifts since they would be doing that sort of thing. His parents put a lot of money aside for him so he really doesn't need all of us to do it.

Maggie: I didn't know you took stuff out of old books. I thought you kept them all and I know you have to have tons of them!

I got to get my day started. We need to begin getting things out of the attic and such so we can pack for the trip. I have several things to do next week before we leave during the day.

Have a good one everybody and stay cool! Faye
Old 07-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is another hot day here in the heartland with a heat warning. I will have another day of staying inside. Boy-o-boy I don't know what I got into or what got into me but it has done a number to my system. I have had hershey squrits since yesterday morning and it is still running through my system. I don't feel bad but can't get too far from the bathroom. I have to make sure I get plenty of liquids and not get dehydrated though. The health books say to not take anything over the counter but eat high fiber things and let the bug work through ones system. Well, I have fiber that I put in my water and am drinking a bottle as I post. I am the only one in this house that has this and I don't have a clue how I contacted it. We have not eaten out lately so whatever it is I must have given it to myself. Hopefully it will be all cleared up by tomorrow for I don't want to miss chruch. I don't feel bad but don't have even an ounce of ambition. Wonder how much weight it has made me lose...hummmm. I wouldn't recommend this method for losing weight to anyone for sure. Time to change the subject don't ya think. Not much going on here in the heartland this day. I am debating on cooking what I planned for potluck tomorrow since I have a bug. I think maybe Will should just get a couple buckets of chicken and that can be what we take or he takes as the case may be.

DONNA FAYE I do know what ever you choose to do for a vacation you will have a good time. I would love to go on a cruise one day. I think that would be a more fitting thing for me to do after I reach goal than going hunting in the north country for a moose to shoot with my bow and arrows. I still want to get a moose but as a reward I believe that a cruise would be nice.

SUSAN Possibly a water main and neither you nor your neighbor will have to pay for that. I do hope that your cough does subside soon and you can get back to exact.

JEAN What ya doin' today?

I am off to see what light work I can do around here. I really don't have any ambition. Type at y'all later

Last edited by Maggie; 07-17-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is HOT and HUMID in my neighborhood this afternoon! I didn't think it was too bad for the ball game this morning although Beth and Will were dripping by the time it was over. We made a stop at Target and I picked up a few things for Maddy's birthday in August. It's probably a good thing I don't live close to a Target! Next stop was Hobby Lobby and I couldn't find anyone to "help" me so left w/o buying anything. Bob waited in the car so didn't want to waste a lot of time. We ate lunch at Applebee's -- like everywhere their prices have gone up and the portion size is less. I need to get busy on laundry next.

Maggie -- I know you will enjoy using your new rotisserie when you are feeling better. Bonding with the bathroom is NOT fun! When we started the I bonds, they matured after 30 years, but you can redeem them at any time for the full purchased value plus the interest. I should check and see if that is still true. We just thought it would be a nice way for the grandkids to have some extra money to put towards school, a house, or whatever someday. I hope you are feeling better by the time you read this.

Susan -- Did the water department show up yet? I hope so and I hope it is their problem and not your's. Is there anything that will help your cough or do you just have to put up with it? I'm keeping my that you are back to 'fit as a fiddle' soon!

"Gma" -- It took us a long time to get used to measuring distance across town by miles versus time when we moved back to Iowa. When we lived in Minneapolis and Cleveland everything was so much travel time from where we lived. I know you are anxious to head north. I hope the weather isn't so hot for you to travel. It is windy today and that just gives an extra hot punch going outside.

I need to get busy! Enjoy your weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #8  

Good evening, ladies! Only in the 80s today but the humidity is through the roof and it does look like rain, which we badly need.

I was surprised. The Water Company came 30 minutes after we called and determined it was Kellys problem. They turned off her water and it stopped. Her dad brought a plumber who dug it up and repaired the pipe so it was all taken care of about 3 hours after we discovered it. Now our lawn man has to replant the grass in that area after the mud dries out and if we ever get some rain.

I had an okay WI at WW today - down .4. I'm determined to get under 158 (only .3 to be at 157.9) next week. I just have not been able to break that barrier. I've planned out me meals for next week with no processed carbs, lots of protein, fruit, vegetables, 3 dairy and 2 good fats. I'll have brown rice, quinona or bulgar for my grains. And I've planned my exercise. I'm going to the Y on Monday and see how much it would cost for me to join. I'd like to do senior aerobics, aquacise, and low impact yoga. A meeting member was telling me about the Y and the fact they have what is called the gardianship in which the fees are based on income. She told me it isn't crowded if you take classes in the morning or early afternoon. Anyway, it's worth a shot. If nothing else, I can walk their indoor track.

I bought myself a pair of Sketchers today in black for winter. They are supposed to help with posture and take some of the pressure off joints when walking. Who knows? They were on sale at Shoe Carnival.

I'm feeling much better. Now Glory is under the weather. I took another of my friends to tea today for her birthday. She really enjoyed it, and so did I!

Jean, I do have prescription narcotic cough syrup to take before I go to bed or if I get a really bad spell during the day. It puts me right to sleep. I try not to take it unless I really, really need it. OTC stuff doesn't cut it for me. Was it a Super Target (with the big grocery store attached) you stopped at? We have those around here. They have nice stuff. I hardly can find any clothes there. I like old lady stuff that actually covers me.

Maggie, so sorry about your best buddy being the toilet. Remember Maude's advice on a very old Archie Bunker when he had the complaint, she made him cream of rice with cheese - light but binding! I hope you get it out of your system quickly.

Faye, did you ever get the email back that I replied to with the glove pattern attached?
Have a great evening!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #9  

Hey gals. Jack just showered and is getting ready to go and get his hair cut. I am trying to get ambitious and clean the downstairs today, but my legs are really swollen again and it is hard to walk around a lot so if I do get going on it, it will be slow going.

Today is pork chops on the grill day. I may have Jack put a little terriyaki on mine. I like the taste. I imagine we will try and get them done and eat while watching the game tonight. We were going to have them for lunch, but the haircut place doesn't open until 12 and who knows how long it will take.

Maggie: I sure hope you are felling better by now. It must have been something you ate, though usually a little salmionella will cause vomiting and stomach pains too. Just keep hydrated and stay on clear liquids until it stops then ease back in to eating again.

Susan: I have been watching for your email but haven't see a thing and it isn't going to junk or spam mail either so I wonder what is up? You should check with your supplement insurance or Aarp if you are a member because our insurer actually pays for Y dues once you are a social security age. We have a very nice Y here that isn't far from us.

Jean: We have a Super Target next to the Walmart we shop at. I really like it, but their prices are much higher and they have bakery items that I can't avoid so I don't go in there very much. Jack and I used to pick up everything we couldn't get at the commissary from target because I got fed up with Walmart, but since the commissary remodeled and expanded their stock, we rarely have to go anywhere else. I like Whole Foods and Fresh Market too, but again, I can spend hundreds in stores like that buying cool spices, fresh fruits and veggies, butcher cut meats, fresh bakery, cooked items and all kinds of things.

I guess I have to get up and get going. Jack and I have sat around this morning working on our vacation for next year. We decided to do Western instead of Easten Carribean as we get more ports and more bang for the buck. We decided to change ship companie's too as we can save $200 that way. We would be leaving out of Tampa instead of Port Canaveral, but it is pretty much the same distance drive just one is north, one south. Unless we change our minds, we are going to do a swimming with dolphins excursion, Jack is going to go parasailing at another port and then we will do a sightseeing at another and a beach getaway at another. We are going to two ports that Thomas has been to so I guess I will have to ask him what his suggestions are! lol

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone! Faye
Old 07-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #10  

Good morning, ladies! Hot and humid again.

Faye, you will not believe this. I know the mailman that was in the article you sent us. He is the baby brother of a man I went to school with. Akron is where I'm from. I knew about the first time so I'm sure he's the one. I'm going to try emailing you from my Cox account. I'll look into the insurance paying for the Y. That would really be good. Your cruise sounds wonderful.

My handyman came yesterday and put my disposal in so today I'm scrubbing out the under the sink cabinet and getting it organized. I want to spend some time working on applique patterns, too.

I'm have steak, baked potato, broccoli and salad for dinner.

Have a great day!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I gotta tell ya I have never had anything like is going through my system like this that I can remember anyway. I didn't attend chruch services this morning and sure hope this has gone through my system completely by tonight for this is the 3rd day of it and it is getting weiersome. I am drinking a huge 32 oz jug of lime flavored gatorade. Got to replace those electric lights that my system has shed. I have this fear of getting dehydrated or my kidneys taking a dump. I was at the point this morning to have Will make a run to the drug store and pick me up something for this but didn't. One of the men at church is a medical guy and told Will that I was doing the right thing by not to taking any meds for it but to be sure and drink lots of liquids. Well I now have a third of that jug of gatorade down. Will just brought me a plate from the pot-luck which has on it a chicken breast, slice of french bread and a couple thick slices of what look like home grown tomatoes. I'll start with pulling the skin off the chicken. I am so thankful that I have not been throwing up with this bug but food doesn't interest me either. Other then that Magnolias I have not been doing much of anything. I just want to get well and get on with it.

DONNA FAYE AH grilled pork chops sound yummy. I am sure you will be enjoying them while watching the program. We don't have a super Target here but our Wal-Mart is one of the huge ones and clean. I can imagine you are having a lot of fun planning your cruise.

SUSAN It is nice you have a handy man that is really handy. A woman alone needs one she can trust. I do hope your Y will be insurance paid. Nice to have a new disposal isn't it. Your dinner sounds yummy also. I don't think I will be fixing any. Our house guest will be out of town tonight and so Will can surely find something to eat around here. And lots of times there is so much food at the noon pot-luck that there is enough for the evening meal so it is kept at the chruch.

JEAN And what are you up to this day?

I'm gonna eat now and see how my system likes it. Type at y'all later
Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been a long day and I'm beginning to feel my age big time! Jason, Amanda, and the kids met us at the lake today. We left about 8:30 and, on the way, got a phone call from the FL relative who has the cabin next door to us. They had major winds last night and she wanted us to know that she didn't think we had any damage to the cabin. Since they have no basement they went to the year around home behind them. We don't have a basement either; I'm glad we weren't there! As we got closer to the lake we were meeting pickups and trailers full of tree branches. We could barely get down our road because of the fallen branches and trees. We spent 2 hours picking up and raking; our yard is postage stamp size. Jason put Ian up on the flat part of the roof to pick up the small twigs and throw them down. We came home with our own pickup load of branches, twigs, leaves, and seaweed. The electricity was out all night and it came back on around noon. The cable won't be on until later this week. After lunch we went out in the boat for a couple hours to see the damage. The wind came from the north. which saved us any cabin/boat damage, but further south there were boat hoists broken apart like match sticks, sunken boats, ripped off boat hoist canopies, and huge trees toppled over on big fancy homes. The barges were out removing hoists and boats while the shore patrol kept gawkers (us and lots of others) from getting too close.

Susan -- on the loss! Tiny bits all add up in the end! Let us know how you like the Sketchers. I have looked at them a few times but never tried any on. I'm glad you are feeling better!

"Gma" -- Half the fun of a vacation is in the planning! I hope your swelling has gone down again.

Maggie -- I'm so sorry you are still have tummy troubles. I hope you feel better tomorrow!

I am getting more stiff and sore the longer I sit! I'm off to take a shower and get ready for bed.

Hope you all have a marvelous Monday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all! Jack left a little while ago for work and I again am going to try and get things done today as I am running out of time before we leave for our trip. My legs and feet were again very swollen yesterday and that caused cramping in my legs. I am hoping I can get it back down today. It is kind of strange as it comes and goes and nothing I do helps like it should. It may still be the bp meds, but they work so I am going to have to suck it up until I get this weight off. I am going back and forth with the weight and I am hoping that once the temps go down a bit that this swelling will go down and possibly jump start a lot of loss.

Susan: Congrats on the loss. Let us know about the Skechers. I am a little leery of wearing them because I have flat feet and the way they are made may make my feet hurt. I thought about getting a pair of their flip flop type sandals and see how they work. I think they are a bit cheaper. Thanks for the pattern. I still don't know why your emails weren't coming through.

Jean: Thank goodness none of you were there when the storm blew through. It's tough when you get older wanting to be able to do the same things, but we seem to pay for it later. It is a bummer, but guess it is what we have to deal with. I saw that Zza Zza Gabor fell out of bed and broke a bunch of bones and may not survive it. She is 93, but tough way to die, just fall out of bed. I guess she has been bed or wheelchair ridden for a few years though.

Maggie: I sure hope you are feeling better today. I have had a bout of stuff like that and it puzzles me too. I always chalk it up to my intestinal issues when it happens, but I still think it must have been some bug that got you in some way.

Jack and I had errands on Saturday and noticed our resident kook wandering around, but he was on the public part of the sidewalks so we couldn't do anything. When we came back all the groceries he bought were strewn all over the sidewalk and into the street by the curb and he was no where to be found. I just don't understand why they can do something about him. He is obviously able to be dangerous to himself or to someone else. You would think that would be enough. I know when I used to swim every morning he would come over and jump into the pool fully dressed except shoes and swim like it wasn't unusual. Kind of creeped me out a bit.

Well, nothing getting done sitting here so I best get started. Have a good Monday all! Faye
Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is pouring rain in my corner of the world and a pleasant 65 degrees! I'm wondering if Ian's game will be postponed this afternoon. I know he will be disappointed but I wouldn't mind staying home today. I've got laundry going and need to clear off the counter from the weekend clutter.

"Gma" -- Your swelling is a mystery; I'm really surprised your doctor isn't trying some different bp meds for you. We have a town "character" who rides a bike everywhere he goes. He's been here ever since I can remember and is called 'Cheesey Rider' -- why, I'm not sure unless his bike was yellow at the time. Maybe he likes cheese. To my knowledge he doesn't bother anyone nor do any damage; he just picks up cans and I suppose turns them in for the nickel redemption. I did see Zza Zza on the news this morning -- sad.

My dryer is buzzing so I'm off to switch loads. Have a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #15  

Good afternoon, ladies! The usual weather. Supposed to feel like 110 today.

Faye, have you called your doctor about the swelling? It's hard on your heart the doctor told me because I do have that with my pulmonary edema, but the left swells more than the right. I hope you can get it under control so you can enjoy your trip.

Jean, It took me about an hour to get used to the Sketchers on the flat ground and a little longer on hilly ground. They really help my back pain and I think my posture is better when I am wearing them. I got mine on sale for 1/2 price. I'd never pay full price.

Maggie, I hope you are feeling 100% soon!