100 lb. Club - Who Will I Be?

View Full Version : Who Will I Be?

redreine
07-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Anyone wonder how different they will look and feel and BE at their goal weight? I honestly gave it no thought until just now. I saw a before and after shot of another member who looked like a completely different person, and I wondered, "Will I still look like me? Hmmm."

Any thoughts?

caryesings
07-14-2010, 10:52 PM
A friend who knew I was losing but hadn't seen me in a while saw me at 190 lbs. and asked me "Did you have any idea you'd look like this?". Honestly, no. I am now down to size I was at age 29 and so much has changed. I honestly think that I have more confidence and style at 50 then I did at 29 and am quite curious what I will look at once I get to goal.

ubergirl
07-14-2010, 11:09 PM
I feel like the way I look now is the way I liked to think that I looked when I was morbidly obese.

I look at pictures of myself at my high weight and I just never reallybelieved that I looked like that.

What I did not anticipate is how different I would feel. I feel completely different now. I am way stronger and have five times as much energy. I was in my twenties the last time I weighed this little, and I feel like I'm in my twenties again. Amazing.

Trazey34
07-14-2010, 11:33 PM
I look a lot different, which is nice. I feel younger I think, a bit quicker in my steps which is wonderful. But ME, the core of ME, is still the same. I was a person, I was not just fat. It did not define me, I wouldn't let it. I had fat on my body and now I don't have nearly as much, and that's all it is/was/ever will be :)

Rosinante
07-15-2010, 02:54 AM
It's a good question to start thinking about. When I lost a lot, about 6 years ago, I didn't concentrate enough on the head stuff, I don't think I accepted the new me well enough - it certainly wasn't long before I was regaining almost all of it. Worth thinking things through now, I think.

TJFitnessDiva
07-15-2010, 07:03 AM
I think I just look like a smaller version of myself :D

Before, I enjoyed watching me transform....inside and out. You are still going to maintain certain characteristics, it just won't be hidden by layers of fat anymore ;)

Eliana
07-15-2010, 07:03 AM
I feel like the way I look now is the way I liked to think that I looked when I was morbidly obese.

I look at pictures of myself at my high weight and I just never reallybelieved that I looked like that.

What I did not anticipate is how different I would feel. I feel completely different now. I am way stronger and have five times as much energy. I was in my twenties the last time I weighed this little, and I feel like I'm in my twenties again. Amazing.

And once again, this is how I feel. I know exactly what I will look like, or actually, I currently look like what I looked like all along in my head. Plus, my family ages well, so really I am returning to what I looked like in college. Is there anything better, really? :D

Ciao
07-15-2010, 07:46 AM
I think I'll be a different person.
I've learned a lot about things since
joining 3FC and starting my weight loss
journey.
I do believe I'll be a different person-
in a good way. :)

emilydreaming
07-15-2010, 08:35 AM

This.

The next twenty to thirty pounds though, those I still wonder about because I never imagined myself any smaller than this.

But regardless of how I look on the outside, I'll still be the same person on the inside. I haven't changed who I am, only how I look and how I eat.

Rochester
07-15-2010, 08:50 AM
I want to throw out a caution to not overthink the "What will I look like?" thing. Several years ago, I lost quite a bit of weight, and all through the loss I was imagining what I would look like thin. Honestly, the mental images were completely unrealistic, but it really set me up for disappointment. I couldn't see that I was healthier and thinner because I didn't look like what I'd hoped for. I'm not playing those head games with myself this time.

Just some friendly advice. :)

matt_H
07-15-2010, 09:29 AM
I was morbidly obese for my entire adult life, so I had no idea what I'd look like.

Whenever I walk down the street and see my reflection in the glass of a building I always do a double check. It doesn't look like me.

ubergirl
07-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Plus, my family ages well, so really I am returning to what I looked like in college. Is there anything better, really? :D

Oh my gosh, yes! For us oldsters, it is like a time machine. I'm just going back to looking more or less how I used to look.

The only thing I have to watch out for is to remember that I didn't have the best self esteem back then, and I used to not like how I looked... it's better this time around because I realize how much worse I could look-- LOL.

SunshineTater
07-15-2010, 10:00 AM
My mother had really high, defined cheek bones. I have often joked that I stay fat so I wouldn't have her cheeks bones. It will be interesting to see. This probably sounds silly, but I worry about what my husband will think too.

caryesings
07-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Oh my gosh, yes! For us oldsters, it is like a time machine. I'm just going back to looking more or less how I used to look.

The only thing I have to watch out for is to remember that I didn't have the best self esteem back then, and I used to not like how I looked... it's better this time around because I realize how much worse I could look-- LOL.

Yep, now that I'm seeing weights from my 20s, I'm remembering how depressed/obsessed I was that I was "so fat". Now I know what fat really is! I really have to hold back at times when a 20-something is getting down on herself in one of the 20-something threads for weighing 150 lbs. and just can't lose. I both identify with that feeling but also want to butt in to tell her to enjoy that body.

DhaniCauldwell
07-15-2010, 10:47 AM
It worries me to death! I keep thinking about how different I am going to look and whether or not I'll be able to accept it when I get to that point. I think it's a good thing to lose the weight gradually so you don't notice it as quickly!

:queen: Dhani :queen:

time2lose
07-15-2010, 11:04 AM
I am a little curious at to how I will look if I ever get down to my "healthy" weight. I look now pretty much like I thought that I would, smaller than I was but still fat. I really can't imagine myself any smaller. Body image may be a problem for me. At my age and based on how my skin is doing now, there will be lots of loose skin.

What I am really curious about, is how I will feel! I feel so good now, compared with how I felt for many years that I can't imagine feeling even better. Well, I guess I can imagine no knee pain. :) I read the posts by Robin, Lori Bell, and others about how fabulous they feel. Hope I find out. :)

Eliana
07-15-2010, 01:45 PM

Heck yeah, ditto again! I'm already down just past my old "fat" size of high school and college and I do not feel "fat". I'm telling you, I feel blessed to have been fat because now I actually know what being fat is. :rolleyes:

Eliana
07-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Yep, now that I'm seeing weights from my 20s, I'm remembering how depressed/obsessed I was that I was "so fat". Now I know what fat really is! I really have to hold back at times when a 20-something is getting down on herself in one of the 20-something threads for weighing 150 lbs. and just can't lose. I both identify with that feeling but also want to butt in to tell her to enjoy that body.
I have to just close out of those threads. :( I feel the same way and I remember that I could have been one of them.

Shmead
07-15-2010, 03:40 PM
I have to just close out of those threads. :( I feel the same way and I remember that I could have been one of them.

There was one several months ago where the girl kept turning down any advice on a lifestyle change and said (I swear) "I just want to lose the weight (like 20 lbs) as quickly as possible and then go back to normal" and several people were like "NOOOOOOOOOOOO, it won't work like that" and she was like "Well, it crept up about 5 lbs a year, so once I get to goal I will just diet off 5 lbs once a year" and I just wanted to shake her--or really, shake myself, 15 years ago. So frustrating.

ubergirl
07-15-2010, 09:43 PM

It's tough. Obviously being a little bigger at that age makes you feel JUST HUGE....I think a lot of people who end up with food/eating/obesity issues are girls who are tall and busty and have figures more like adult women when they are younger-- they're actually normal sized, but compared to their still immature skinny peers they feel huge, start worrying about weight/dieting, and end up with issues. Sigh. I wish I knew the solution so that nobody would have to feel that way. It's misery.

What I wouldn't give to weigh 150 now, the weight that in high school I considered OBESE.

LitChick
07-15-2010, 10:22 PM

Again, exactly how I feel! I like to say I had 'reverse anorexia' (not to make light of the serious disorder) because I thought I was thinner than I actually was.

Right now, I haven't been this weight since my teens, so I have no idea what my body will look or feel like once there's another 45 pounds off. I can't wait, though! And KNOWING, not just hoping, I will get there, is an amazing feeling in itself!

Shmead
07-16-2010, 09:10 AM
It's tough. Obviously being a little bigger at that age makes you feel JUST HUGE....I think a lot of people who end up with food/eating/obesity issues are girls who are tall and busty and have figures more like adult women when they are younger-- they're actually normal sized, but compared to their still immature skinny peers they feel huge, start worrying about weight/dieting, and end up with issues. Sigh. I wish I knew the solution so that nobody would have to feel that way. It's misery.

What I wouldn't give to weigh 150 now, the weight that in high school I considered OBESE.

Or, alternatively, they give up because they think anything over "skinny" is "totally, morbidly obese": my "what's the use?" point back then was about 180. It made perfect sense: 180 or 300, it's all the same, right? If I couldn't be a size 6, boys wouldn't like me--and I agreed that they shouldn't, I was so ashamed of myself--so since I was doomed to a life of celibacy anyway, I might as well have cake. God I was stupid--and a big reason for that stupidity was that I was so ashamed of my weight that I could never talk about it with anyone, and lord knows the stupidest ideas develop when thoughts just revolve around and around in your brain and never get aired out for others to see.

ubergirl
07-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Or, alternatively, they give up because they think anything over "skinny" is "totally, morbidly obese": my "what's the use?" point back then was about 180. It made perfect sense: 180 or 300, it's all the same, right? If I couldn't be a size 6, boys wouldn't like me--and I agreed that they shouldn't, I was so ashamed of myself--so since I was doomed to a life of celibacy anyway, I might as well have cake. God I was stupid--and a big reason for that stupidity was that I was so ashamed of my weight that I could never talk about it with anyone, and lord knows the stupidest ideas develop when thoughts just revolve around and around in your brain and never get aired out for others to see.

Yup. I could have written this myself, word for word.... no internet around in those days. I was the only "fat girl" I knew. Oy!

I thought 150 or 250 what's the difference, I'm FAT UGLY and UNDESIRABLE at either weight, but one includes all-you-can-eat TWIZZLERS. Oy!

caryesings
07-16-2010, 10:59 AM
I thought 150 or 250 what's the difference, I'm FAT UGLY and UNDESIRABLE at either weight, but one includes all-you-can-eat TWIZZLERS. Oy!

Wow, I hadn't figured that out, but that's the conversation that was playing in my head once I put on the 100 lbs the year I turned 30. I knew it would take a tremendous amount of work and time before I could get back down to "dating weight" and frankly the treats were more appealing than getting back into dating which had led to a lot of heartbreak in the past.

So with that attitude, I did not date for 18 years.

Now coming full circle back to the original post on "who will I be"?, I have found that the weight loss has brought male attention back into my life. In fact, got into a pretty serious relationship at the 50 lbs. down point. And it's been every bit as difficult at age 50 as it was in my 20s. But haven't been tempted to replace men with all-you-can eat yet.

However I do have to confess that this is one of my fears about putting the weight back on. Right now I'm enjoying everything about my new body and fitness and can't imagine trading it in for the old model. But lingering fear if I don't find lasting love will I turn back to food for comfort?