Old 07-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Spaghetti Squash "Spaghetti Bake" or "Baked Ziti"

First must give credit where credit is due, I had planned to make Schmoodle's Deep Dish Italian pie recipe: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entr...ml#post3385349

and instead came up with this because I was pressed for time and DH brought home the squash late. I was DEFINITELY inspired by her wonderful recipe.

Ingredients:
28 oz low sugar spaghetti sauce (or make your own. Check below for my homemade recipe)

1 medium onion, chopped chunkily
2 tablespoons olive oil

1 whole spaghetti squash

1 cup of skim ricotta cheese
1 cup skim mozarella
3 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed, or 1/2 lb ground turkey or beef, cooked. (I used chicken, you could use the beef or turkey, some may want to use a whole lb.)

Shredded or powdered parmesan/romano/asiago blend for sprinkling

Take knife and jab spaghetti squash, put in microwave for 10-15 minutes. (Had to put mine on 15 because it was huge!) Scrape out seeds and discard, then take fork and scrape out spaghetti-like stuff and put to side.

While the squash is cooking, heat up the oil and add chopped onions, cook until sauteed and add to spaghetti sauce.

Mix the spaghetti-like-stuff from the squash into the sauce, and mix together with the cooked meat of your choice.

Put into a dutch oven (or pot that can be used in the oven, or a rectangular baking dish if you desire). Spread the top with the ricotta, then sprinkle the mozzarella over top. (You may find you need more then a cup.)

I baked at 450 degrees for a short while until it was hot and bubbly and the cheese melted because I was in a hurry, but you could put it in at 350 or 400 for 45 minutes to an hour, until cheese melts and it's hot and bubbly.

Take slotted serving spoon to serve, and sprinkle with parmesan.

(Could keep extra sauce on hand if you'd like.)

Tomato sauce recipe:

Can of 28 oz crushed tomatoes, teaspoon splenda or other sweetener, teaspoon garlic salt, 2-3 teaspoons powdered garlic, 2 teaspoons powdered onion, 2-3 tablespoons of dried italian herb mix (that has basil, oregano, etc). Bring to medium boil while stirring, then let simmer on low for however long as you need.)

You could definitely turn this into your own dish, by throwing in mushrooms, spinach, even broccoli or whatever else to the spaghetti sauce mixture, to veg it out even more.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 07-13-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

OMG, it was soooooooooooooooo good!!! I topped it w/ some chopped green onions and a little bit of chopped Canadian Bacon and turkey pepperoni. Soooooooo yummy!!!

Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #3  

Making this again tonight w/ a layer of thin-sliced zucchini on top. YUM!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #4  

I'm making this tomorrow. I've got my spaghetti squash baking in the over right now and I've got the seeds drying on some napkins so I can roast my seeds tomorrow. Nomz!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #5  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

I have sooo got to make this again. It's been quite awhile since I've had it!
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #6  

I'll be making this for my shift tomorrow. It will be some of the shift's first introduction to spaghetti squash.