Weight Loss Support - Staying away from the scales

View Full Version : Staying away from the scales

susie256
07-13-2010, 05:25 PM
I've promised myself that I would only weigh in once a month because I have a long history of scale obsession and giving up when I dont see results fast enough. Has anyone else tried this approach? I was so determined that I gave my scales to a friend to remove the temptation... but its day 15 and im getting curious because I cannot see any difference in my body. Staying away from the scales is becoming harder than staying away from the sweeties!.:dust: How often do you weigh in, curious to know what works for others....

Onederchic
07-13-2010, 06:11 PM
In the beginning of my journey, I was weighing several times a day. It kept me upset and stressed out. Now, I rarely weigh at all and am judging my progress mainly by clothing size.

Wild Vulpix
07-13-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm the opposite.... I tried weighing in once a month, figuring I'd be much happier seeing a big drop.

But I get way too ahead of myself. I try to predict what the scale will show, and I ALWAYS over estimate and then I get really sad and really disappointed with whatever loss I DO have.

If I weigh myself every day, it distracts me from the overall picture, and if my weigh loss process is slow, I can make up excuses to make myself feel better ("Oh, I must be retaining water." "That must be because I did a hard work out yesterday!" "It'll go down soon :) ")

A month ago today... I was 1lb heavier than I was this morning (I record every day's weigh in). My weight loss has stalled, but because I weigh myself so often, I feel that there's still "hope" and it doesn't FEEL like the scale hasn't budged for so long. And even though the numbers are floating around the same digits... in reality, my "average" is going down. So I know I'm losing, but looking at single weigh ins (be it daily, weekly, or monthly) it looks like nothing is happening.

Here, I'll share. (These are from back in January)

Daily Weigh in (http://i48.tinypic.com/359z9cz.png)

Weekly weigh in (http://i47.tinypic.com/2rrt85l.png)

steph15
07-13-2010, 06:34 PM
I am the opposite actually from Onderchic. I weigh myself several times a day, I am a little obsessive. :) I like to know that I am on the downward slope throughout the week. Once I get to my goal I will probably do a daily weigh in. I just want to make sure I keep myself accountable and doing it that often helps me. I do know that a lot of people go by how their clothes fit, and I think that totally can work as well. I used to avoid scales...that is how I got myself up to 280. :)

starbrite
07-13-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm a daily weigher on an enforced break from the scales whilst on holiday in Florida. It's driving me nuts !!

sweetnlow28
07-13-2010, 06:40 PM
I usually weigh every morning but if I have a feeling that my weight will be up I will choose not to weigh that day or sometimes for a few days. For example, if I ate too much salt and feel puffy the next morning I will choose not to weigh. If TOM is near by, I will stop weighing for a week. When I see higher numbers I get discouraged even though I know those numbers are related to water, not fat. I figure its better to wait it out instead of setting myself up for discouragement ;)

susie58
07-13-2010, 06:48 PM
I do EVERY morning, exact same time! Guess I am obsessed.

jendiet
07-13-2010, 07:01 PM
i weigh every day, but I Take measurements to offset TOM, and water weight.

Onederchic
07-13-2010, 07:16 PM
I have been following your progress for the longest time and you are amazing!

Awww thank you so very much, that means a lot to me :hug::hug:

caryesings
07-13-2010, 07:54 PM
I did not weigh in at all the first 72 days and now only once a month for the reasons OP lists.

I do track my calorie deficit so that I know I'm staying on track.

And on the plus side, when I was starting and my body and mind fighting me on the new plan, I was able to work on "resisting" getting on the scale rather than on something I shouldn't be eating.

MissKelly
07-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Im a daily weigher but sometimes when I can feel Im swelling with water weight pretty bad... I'll pass on it til I feel it go down some.

bellona
07-13-2010, 08:56 PM
When I was losing my first 40 pounds, I only looked at a scale once, and that's when I started. I looked again after a few months and was - 40! I have been monitoring my weight now, but it seems to make me more depressed than motivated. I like to go by clothing/the mirror, personally.

anne211
07-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Hey,

I was once very scale obsessed as well and in turn i developed an eating disorder. 5 years later i can say giving up the scale was the best thing i have ever done. I weight myself now only when i go to the doctors so every 5 or 6 months (i am going tomorrow by the way, dreading the number) anyways, 2 years ago i lost about 20 pound and throughout my weight loss i never even checked the scale, it did wonders because it made it easy for me to lose weight. Before, the scale made me obsessed with every little pound and when i would gain one it would wreck my day and i would be so depressed and in turn eat. NOT WORTH IT, our weight naturally fluctuates and it does not mean you are gaining weight and until you can fully understand and accept that i say stay away from the scale, the last thing you want to be obsessing about for a whole week is one pound of water weight. Not a way to live.

SarahD140
07-13-2010, 09:31 PM
I do it once a week, Sundays, which for me is after a few extra hours of rest and I try to be sure I'm hydrated, super hydrated. I do get curious around Wednesday but try not to step on the scale.

skygirl
07-13-2010, 11:39 PM
i weigh every day, because it helps me to know where i am, see the effects of what i ate the day before (like was there too much sodium), and helps keep me motivated when the scale moves down. honestly, it can be distracting when the scale does not move or when it bumps up, but i don't think i could go for long periods without knowing, and then the not knowing would be more of a distraction for me. but i think everyone is different on this, so whatever works and feels comfortable. ;)

ninepaw
07-14-2010, 04:27 AM
I, too, am in the club of daily weighers. I find it keeps me focused and accountable each day, so I stay motivated to do what I need to do. Number moved down? Sweet! Time to work to the next one! Number went up? Well, that sucks. Let's see what I can do to get back down. That's pretty much how it goes in my head. Now, I only move my tickers once a wek on Wednesdays, just because I'm weird that way, but I do keep track of each day's weigh in on a spreadsheet, along with a graphing website - Which is nice for seeing the generally downward trend of my weight!

My one downfall with the daily weighs is when I get stuck. A few days is fine, but I was stuck for 9 days recently and it just screwed with my head a little bit. I know that in reality a 9 day stall is nothing, but I made a coupole bad choices, went up a pound for a couple days, and now I'm down past my *stuck* number of 244(I wasn't kidding when I said recent - I haven't gotten to update my ticker since the pound came up last week! :lol:)

Ultimately it just comes down to how you handle things, and if you can deal with some of the weird stuff our bodies are bound to do!

goodday
07-14-2010, 08:46 AM
I'd been doing it everyday but I think I am going to stop and just do once (maybe twice) a week. I too stalled for 11 days and it drove me INSANE, I don't think it was worth it so I'm going to do 1/2x per week for a while and see if I can still stay on track that way with a little less stress in my life. Weigh in is Wednesday (-1 lb today!) so I think Sunday or Monday might be the other day I check. We'll see.

synger
07-14-2010, 11:32 AM
I weigh and measure officially once a month. I do, however, usually step on the scale in the middle of the month at least once. Usually right after I've gone camping, and I'm trying to see how the extra exercise, coupled with the increased sodium (camp food is seriously salty!) has affected me. It's silly, because it's not a "normal" reading and it will change by the end of the month. But I still do it.

ORSewmama
07-14-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm a pretty habitual twice a day weigher - right before I go to bed, and right after I get up. But, I notice I'm becoming too obsessed with it lately, so I'm going to take a couple days off (or try anyway :)). The fluctuations don't bother me very much - I know what my fluctuations are now, so that probably helps. But I am going camping next week, and feeling panicky about not having my scale - and I don't think it's good to be that dependent on ANYTHING. My official weigh ins are Weds (for me, from the beginning), and then Monday for the BL Challenge I'm doing. I'm going to try to stay off it until Monday. (Even just typing that makes me feel all panicky! Yikes!).

Mickeypnd
07-14-2010, 11:53 AM
i weigh myself every day to see where im at. because if i don't then i think im doing awesome, only to find out ive gained five pounds! (true story)

I think it keeps me motivated to see the number going down, knowing im doing something right, and it keeps me focused and on track on my diet.

leopardspots
07-14-2010, 12:20 PM
I put my scale away. I get obsessive about weighing myself and did it several times a day so this time, I am only going to weigh in every 3-4 weeks. I refuse to let a number on the scale to determine if I am going to have a good or a bad day, like I have before. I think most of my diets have failed because I didn't see what I wanted to see. I am doing P90X, so a scale is pretty irrelevant to me anyway. I am going to focus on how my clothes fit and inches lost this time.

Zing
07-14-2010, 12:23 PM
I weigh myself once a week, and can happily go longer than that. I don't see the point in weighing any more often as the changes would be so much smaller and prone to fluctuations. I like to have it regular enough for it to give me a motivation boost, but I find it so much better to wait for it and have a significant loss. I try not to get too worked up about my weight loss. It's really important obviously, but getting panicky about the every slightest little change isn't really going to help me that much in the long run, whereas staying relaxed about it will help me stick to the diet.

kaplods
07-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Currently, I weigh daily (sometimes multiple times daily), and it works well for me.

Most of my life weighing daily was "bad" for me, but only because I believed it was bad for me. I was told that weighing daily would make me obsessed and discouraged. I believed it, so it did make me obsessed and discouraged.

A few years ago I started challenging the common dieting dogma, to determine what was really true for me, and what wasn't (shortly after I learned that low-carb not only wasn't "unhealthy" for me, it improved many of my health issues). I started weighing daily, or many times a day to both learn about my weight fluctuations, but also to practice "not getting upset" by the scale.

I decided to learn how to use the scale as an objective tool. Neither as my best friend or my worst enemy, but just as a tool - that measured my weight, not my worth as a human being, and not even a measure of my success on my lifestyle changes.

I decided to learn to use the scale, and not allow myself to feel that the scale was using/manipulating me.

For me, learning about the fluctuations and the causes of them has been extremely valuable. It's allowed me to use the tool of the scale in more productive ways.

For example, during my period I have such a problem with water retention and hunger/cravings, that it can actually be beneficial to weight many times during the day and to even weigh my food and beverages on a food scale. It helps remind me how much of the period weight gain is just from water retention, the weight of the food and (tmi) constipation. When I know the weight isn't "real" (fat) weight gain, I'm less stressed over the fluctuations.

Though I find it really important not to let myself get stressed even over "real" weight gain. I am not my numbers. I am not my weight, and my value is not associated with whether or not I've lost or gained wieght.

Being objective about the weight loss process is extremely liberating. I am losing weight to improve my health, not to become a better person, and I don't find diet guilt productive at all - so I don't do it. And part of givng up the guilt of weight loss has been giving up the guilt of the scale. I use the scale, it doesn't use me.
So it doesn't matter if I weight once a year or once every 15 minutes. As long as the scale isn't influencing my self-worth, it's a usefull tool not a millstone around my neck.

susie256
07-15-2010, 11:00 AM
wow its so interesting to read how other people manage it. It's all mind games isn't it? I was driving myself crazy, thinking I could see a tiny difference in my clothes fit, then I think am I just imagining it? Maybe I haven't lost an ounce! lol I am going to try to continue off the scales until my first weigh in and see how that goes, I may switch to fortnightly after that. Wish me luck!!