Weight Loss Support - Eating what the rest of the family eat

Cookiebell
07-13-2010, 03:19 PM
This is too difficult.

I made a sausage casserole tonight with tonnes of veg in it, I had only a spoonful of rice with it and I've just worked out that it's been about 600 calories.

:(

So of course I've gone over my allowance for today and now can't eat anything else until tomorrow.

I can't start making entirely separate meals for myself, that's just not going to work.

:(

Shmead
07-13-2010, 03:23 PM
If you can't make meals, can you make food? I eat plain baked chicken breast for dinner every night--sometimes I eat it with Salsa, sometimes with mustard, sometimes with low-sugar spagetti sauce, sometimes with hot sauce, sometimes with lemon pepper . . . you get the point. It can be dressed up different ways. But I only have to bake chicken once a week and then weigh out a portion. You could then eat whatever veggie sides you made for the family.

JayEll
07-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Cookiebell, you're learning! That's the important thing. Now you know that when you make that dish, you need to weigh or measure your portion. A good thing to know!

Sausage is high in calories because of the fat, so that's why it's easy to go over. Just be careful with it. :yes:

You can always have something light for the later meal--it would be a mistake to think you "can't" eat until tomorrow. It's unrealistic. You'll get hungry and want to eat, and might even go overboard because of it.

Just plan something for yourself like a big bowl of mixed-green salad and a whole drained 6 oz. can of water-packed tuna. Use only a Tablespoon of regular salad dressing, or two Tbsp of light dressing. This will probably be close to 200 calories and won't do that much damage in the week's scheme.

Hang in there!

Jay

goodforme
07-13-2010, 03:25 PM
I make them eat what I eat. :o I've greatly changed all our menu's to include less fatty meat, more veggies, and barely any pasta/rice/potato dishes. That is not to say that we don't have spaghetti or mac-n-cheese sometimes, I just refrain. I have some chicken breast and veggies instead. :hug: Good luck!

Cookiebell
07-13-2010, 03:31 PM
I make them eat what I eat. :o I've greatly changed all our menu's to include less fatty meat, more veggies, and barely any pasta/rice/potato dishes. That is not to say that we don't have spaghetti or mac-n-cheese sometimes, I just refrain. I have some chicken breast and veggies instead. :hug: Good luck!

See, I think this is maybe what I need to do but then my hubby and my toddler are going to be starving hungry!!

I think I'm just stuck in a rut and don't know how to make filling meals that aren't based on pasta, rice or potatoes.

Cookiebell
07-13-2010, 03:32 PM
If you can't make meals, can you make food? I eat plain baked chicken breast for dinner every night--sometimes I eat it with Salsa, sometimes with mustard, sometimes with low-sugar spagetti sauce, sometimes with hot sauce, sometimes with lemon pepper . . . you get the point. It can be dressed up different ways. But I only have to bake chicken once a week and then weigh out a portion. You could then eat whatever veggie sides you made for the family.

So I'm making up big tasty meals for my family then making myself eat some chicken?

:?:

time2lose
07-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Don't let this get you down. It is part of the learning curve. Maybe you can lighten some of the dishes you make your family. I make several casseroles that use canned soup. I went to the low fat versions, reduced the calories and my family has not noticed. Same goes for cheese, use a low calorie version. Maybe you can use turkey sausage or just read labels to find a brand that is lower in calories.

I also cook up several servings of my lower calorie foods so that I can heat and eat when necessary.

time2lose
07-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Cookiebell originally posted I think I'm just stuck in a rut and don't know how to make filling meals that aren't based on pasta, rice or potatoes.

You sound like me. I had to relearn how to cook because my southern style meals weren't good for any of us. There are lots of good recipes here at 3FC that can help you. Also, the Cooking Light web site has been a life-saver for me.

Shmead
07-13-2010, 03:39 PM
So I'm making up big tasty meals for my family then making myself eat some chicken?

:?:

Lean meats (chicken being the cheapest example) are really pretty good and really easy to prepare (which was my point--it doesn't involve cooking a whole separate meal).

And yes, weight loss means sometimes not getting to eat the most tasty option. That's ok as long as the thing you are eating is still pretty damn good.

rockinrobin
07-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Oh yes, I am the cook and they will eat what I serve them. I revamped the entire familys food choices.

And besides, only I should eat healthy fare - the rest of my family should continue to eat unhealthy foods? Nope. It was time to clean up the whole environment.

Instead of fried chicken we do stir fries, taco chicken, lemon chicken, chicken with mushrooms and wine. The list is endless. I make a huge pot of soup every week and that's a third of the dinner right there. I serve it with a protein, like the chicken I just spoke of or some other protein - teriyaki salmon or some other fish and a huge amount of usually roasted veggies.

They might whine and moan for a minute or two, but they will quickly see that this food is DELICIOUS. Nothing at all to moan about.

Give them time - they WILL adjust. Not only will they survive, but they will THRIVE.

Be creative. Search the web for healthy tasty fare. It's out there.

kateleestar
07-13-2010, 03:42 PM

As my grandmother always said, "if you don't like what were having, you can go a house further."

If I'm the one that plans the meals, goes to the store, gets everything, does the coupons, pays for it, cooks it and serves it.... And all they have to do is eat it? They will eat what I want.

My husband has learned over the past few months that he doesn't need all those calories, either. He does, however, need all those veggies. :)

Those good things are good for him, too!

Cookiebell
07-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Oh yes, I am the cook and they will eat what I serve them. I revamped the entire familys food choices.

And besides, only I should eat healthy fare - the rest of my family should continue to eat unhealthy foods? Nope. It was time to clean up the whole environment.

Instead of fried chicken we do stir fries, taco chicken, lemon chicken, chicken with mushrooms and wine. The list is endless. I make a huge pot of soup every week and that's a third of the dinner right there. I serve it with a protein, like the chicken I just spoke of or some other protein - teriyaki salmon or some other fish and a huge amount of usually roasted veggies.

They might whine and moan for a minute or two, but they will quickly see that this food is DELICIOUS. Nothing at all to moan about.

Give them time - they WILL adjust. Not only will they survive, but they will THRIVE.

Be creative. Search the web for healthy tasty fare. It's out there.

Thank you, that's really helpful. I suppose I could always make our meal and serve up carbs with theirs but not mine? With extra portions of veg for me etc?

Wow - this really is a life changing thing isn't it? I think this is the first time I'm actually realising how much I have to change in terms of my eating habits.

Cookiebell
07-13-2010, 03:46 PM
So, for example - I love my spaghetti bolognaise... It's a pretty healthy version that I make anyway, but I could pad it out more with tonnes of veg to make it even better. They probably wouldn't even notice much of a difference and would certainly still be full. As far as the spaghetti goes, as long as I weigh out a portion that's sensible for me, that should be fine..?

Does that sound about right?

rockinrobin
07-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Thank you, that's really helpful. I suppose I could always make our meal and serve up carbs with theirs but not mine? With extra portions of veg for me etc?

Wow - this really is a life changing thing isn't it? I think this is the first time I'm actually realising how much I have to change in terms of my eating habits.

YEs, I sometimes (though not that often), supplement for them.

I've said it often, I didn't change my lifestyle - I completely overhauled it. It needed it. It was time. I wasn't doing right by my family. It gives me much joy to feed my family so darn well. They get only the best. Just what they deserve. Many of us strive to live in the best neighborhoods, send them to the best schools (& try to get them the best teachers in those schools), we want them to have great clothes, great friends, good manners, etc. and then we feed them inferior foods. It just doesn't make sense to me (anymore). My family deserves the best of everything.

It takes time to develop these new recipes, but it's easier and faster than you think. Make a game of it. I actually look at all of *this* as my hobby.

SCraver
07-13-2010, 03:51 PM
What about using (for that recipe) lower fat versions of sausage? Like maybe a turkey sausage? I would think with all the spices in sausage, a lower fat substitute might not even be noticed. Or maybe some low fat turkey kielbasa?

Cookiebell
07-13-2010, 03:54 PM
It takes time to develop these new recipes, but it's easier and faster than you think. Make a game of it. I actually look at all of *this* as my hobby.

I think it was to become a hobby doesn't it?!

AND I think that I'm feeling that I have to work all of this out by myself but I suppose that's what recipes are for eh?? ;)

The good thing is that it's really easy for me to have my own things for breakfast and lunch, so I suppose I could be extra 'good' at those times and then be a little less strict at tea-time. As long as I then make a healthy tea for us all, I can still have a smaller portion than them and it should all balance out quite well.

rockinrobin
07-13-2010, 04:00 PM
The good thing is that it's really easy for me to have my own things for breakfast and lunch, so I suppose I could be extra 'good' at those times and then be a little less strict at tea-time. As long as I then make a healthy tea for us all, I can still have a smaller portion than them and it should all balance out quite well.

I would watch this strategy and possibly rethink it. It can land you into trouble. Portion sizes for higher calorie fare are quite tiny. It's all too easy to go back for seconds - and thirds and then all your hard work would be for naught. Being *less strict* is what got me to be super morbidly obese. Perhaps once every couple of weeks you might want to try out that strategy, but as an every day thing - I think that might not be the best way to set yourself up for success.

*For me* it was simpler and more enjoyable to change the food. Believe me there is EXCELLENT delicious healthy foods out there. They don't feel like *diet* foods at all. It is no hardship to eat them. Scrounge the net. Google healthy chicken recipes, healthy soups, etc... Tons of ideas will pop up. Experiment. Master something new.

Cookiebell
07-13-2010, 04:06 PM
I would watch this strategy and possibly rethink it. It can land you into trouble. Portion sizes for higher calorie fare are quite tiny. It's all too easy to go back for seconds - and thirds and then all your hard work would be for naught. Being *less strict* is what got me to be super morbidly obese. Perhaps once every couple of weeks you might want to try out that strategy, but as an every day thing - I think that might not be the best way to set yourself up for success.

*For me* it was simpler and more enjoyable to change the food. Believe me there is EXCELLENT delicious healthy foods out there. They don't feel like *diet* foods at all. It is no hardship to eat them. Scrounge the net. Google healthy chicken recipes, healthy soups, etc... Tons of ideas will pop up. Experiment. Master something new.

Again - thank you! :hug: Am off to google!

Hamoco350
07-13-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't have meat any more, except seafood, but I recommend having turkey sausage next time! Then you'll feel less guilty. :)

sweetnlow28
07-13-2010, 04:14 PM
As a mom of two picky children and a somewhat fussy husband, I struggled with this in the beginning as well. I learned how to make family favorite recipes lower calorie but still taste great. I use ground turkey or chicken for any beef or sausage in a recipe. I cut the amount of pasta or rice in half or just make a smaller portion for myself on the side. If a dish called for cheese, I either used a lower fat cheese or a smaller portion of sharp cheddar. I find "extra old" cheese adds much more flavor than low fat cheese so you simply use less.
I know it seems overwhelming but it can be done. I remember the first time my family tried wheat spaghetti with ground turkey and sauce. It wasn't a hit. After trying it a couple times, my family requests that recipe now. It will take time for everyone to adjust but I promise, they won't miss the "junk" after tasting your new healthier recipes for a bit.

I use this site for great recipe ideas ;) Just be careful because they are not all low calorie recipes but the majority are.
http://www.sparkrecipes.com/

thesame7lbs
07-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi Cookiebell,

I have the exact same issue -- I cook for my my family -- husband + 3 kids.

Plus, my husband is quite thin. I think he could stand to add a few pounds. So I don't want his dinners to be too low-cal to sustain his weight.

Our dinners have, for a long time (i.e., since before my current wl effort), consisted of a protein, a starch and a vegetable. These days, I just skip the starch and double up on the veggies. My husband can have my serving of the starch. :-)

And when I make a casserole or a pasta entree, I am sure to make lots of veggies on the side. While my husband and kids may choose 2/3 entree + 1/2 veggies, I choose 2/3 veggie 1/3 entree.

I realized that one of the reasons my mother let me have so many treats when I was growing up is that I was very thin until at least age 12. She figured I was so thin, I didn't have to eat healthy. I have vowed not to make this mistake with my children -- that I would not let them develop poor eating/snacking/dessert habits just because they're not overweight, only to have it catch up with them later. So my focus on health has become theirs (though I NEVER mention "weight" to them -- I don't need them "watching their weight" just because I am).

cestlavie22
07-13-2010, 05:59 PM
I have two very active boys and a partner who runs. None of them need to lose weight but my goal is to serve them very healthy meals that meet my requirements for weight loss

There are lots of great meals that you can serve to whole family that they can add extra carb to as filler. I always plan to serve two kinds of veggies (eg. brocoli and a salad) so that i can fill my plate with a large portion of low calorie vegetables.

My kids like that they have a choice on what veggies to eat although they usually will pile everything on their plate

These are some of my standbys:

fajitas - stir fry onions, peppers, zuchini and chicken. Make guacamole, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa, etc. Served with tortillas, eat yours on a big bed of shredded lettuce with a small sprinkiling of cheese and guacamole.

- chili. Make chili with ground turkey, or chicken add lots of extra veggies to it, cut up fine. Or you can make it with frozen then defrosted tofu that you squeeze the extra liquid out. Serve on top of brown rice for the family. You eat it without the rice or with a measured portion

-antipasto night. Put out low fat coldcuts or turkey kielbasa, cheeses, bread, make a big salad, veggies and dip, etc. I often make a plate of grilled veggies on the bbq. You eat some coldcuts on a big portion of salad with a side of grilled veggies. They make their own sandwiches with what is on the table...

- pot of lentil soup with naan bread and a big salad. I skip the naan, measure out my bowl of soup.

Hope these ideas help

Lyn2007
07-13-2010, 08:59 PM
I have a morbidly obese husband, myself who is on a low carb plan, a bunch of teen boys who need higher calories and a lot of food, and two underweight children who need extra fat and calories.

I make ONE MEAL for us all. I just make the base something I can eat, and have extra add-ons for the family. Some examples:

I make a low carb meatloaf, steamed vegs, and salad and I eat those things but I ALSO make a pot of mashed potatoes and serve whole wheat bread. The ones who need more fat can add butter to their bread and potatoes also.

I make whole grain spaghetti or other pasta for everyone with a nice tomato based sauce that has lean meatballs and turkey sausages in it. I make spaghetti squash and broccoli. I eat the sauce and meat over the squash, everyone else has it over pasta, and I also make garlic bread or wheat bread for them as sides.

I make sloppy joes with beans added for everyone. Some have it on buns with potato salad and green beans. I have it over a salad.

I make tacos with lean gorund beef, and everyone has them on whole grain tortillas with beans and lettuce. The ones who need more fat add cheese, sometimes sour cream. I have my taco meat over a large salad with salsa.

I roast a whole chicken and I eat the breast with steamed veggies. The family eats chicken also, with mashed potatoes, vegs, and biscuits. The ones who need more fat add salad dressing and butter, and eat the dark meat.

I grill burgers for the family and a piece of fish and veggies for me. They have watermelon and carrot sticks with it, and the ones who need extra fat use Ranch for dip.

Everyone's happy and I don't have to make 3 meals!

Sherrie568
07-13-2010, 09:13 PM
It's just hubby and me, and he's very supportive. I make regular, healthy meals for both of us, he eats a larger portion than I do.

eclipse
07-13-2010, 09:45 PM
I try to make the same thing for the whole family. My kids do not need to lose weight, and in fact, could stand to gain some (my youngest specifically is tiny), so sometimes I prepare things differently for them than for me - like I might pan fry dark meat chicken for them with a bit of butter while I have breast cooked on the foreman grill. I usually skip carby sides, but sometimes I'll have half a baked potato with a bit of sour cream while they have a whole one with butter and sour cream. Other times I will eat something completely different. I make a homemade, whole wheat crust pizza that my kids love. I could eat it, but while I'm watching calories so carefully, I choose not to due to the diffculty of determining exactly how many calories I'm taking in. Pizza is also a trigger food for me, so I prefer to skip it. But it's healthy and yummy, and I don't want to deprive my kids of it - so I'll make it for them and make something else that's quick and easy for me. Sometimes I'll have a diet frozan meal like a lean cuisine, other times a big salad with chicken or fish or something.

Another thing you should do is focus on high flavor foods. In the examplie of your sausage casserole - sausage is hugely flavorful, but it doesn't take much sausage to empart the flavor to the whole dish. I don't know how much you used, but you could probably cut it in half and it would still taste great. Bacon is another food that I use a lot when I'm cooking. While it wouldn't be great for my health or weightloss to sit down and eat a whole plate of bacon - but one strip added to a family meal has very little calories per serving compared to the major taste impact it can have. You just need to experiment and see what you like and what your family likes.

Shytowngal
07-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Hi Cookie,
I second the thoughts that you should make one meal for everyone. There are so many great recipes that are healthy AND delicious. Here is my favorite recipe site. There are calories and ww points listed for each. I make one of these recipes every night and my friends and BF LOVE them too:

www.skinnytaste.com

Here is her light Bolonese sauce, it is fantastic and only 106 calories per serving!
http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Pasta%20Recipes

Lori Bell
07-14-2010, 12:35 AM
I am the chief cook and bottle washer in my family, and everyone eats what I cook. I do on occasion fry them up a chicken or make a full fat lasagna or something special for birthdays etc. and I just make myself a grilled something, but usually it's just the same for everyone. I grill a lot of lean beef, (I'll never give up Nebraska corn fed beef...:) lol) pork, lamb, chicken, turkey or some sort of fish. Lots of roasted veggies, (my family LOVES roasted and grilled veggies of all kinds) fruit salads, large tossed salads and even baked potatoes and rice. (The poor potato gets a bad rap.) I'll skip the rice usually because I'm not a huge fan.

I don't make many casseroles anymore...come to find out my family didn't really like them that well anyway, they only ate them because that's what I made....I was the casserole lover. HA! :)

You can do this Cookiebell, if there is a will, there is a way.

Cookiebell
07-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Yay!

I made my bolognaise tonight, lots of veg and nice and healthy, then my hubby and son had theirs with spaghetti while I had mine with yummy roasted veg!!

It was so nice and less than 300 calories in total!!

Thanks for all the advice!

JMfan
07-14-2010, 07:20 PM
I've gotten to a point with this where I'm like "Look, I grocery shop, I cook, I clean. We're eating whatever I cook, which is super healthy and good for you. So, tough."