Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/241/140

Height: 5'3

Default anyone else feel like this??

I am not sure if this is the right place for this but I can't seem to find too many forums that deal with depression. I have finally found the right mix of drugs for me after being depressed since I was 11 years old. I am about to be 27 and its like a light switch went on in my head. Excersice is so much easier for me now and so is sticking to a diet. I have been overweight my whole life and although I have dieted alot...this is the first time that it just seems easy. I'm thinking that it might just be because when i was depressed everything seemed really hard but I don't know! I still have alot to lose and I am afraid of getting too cocky about how easy this has been for me. Has anyone experienced something like this?!? Did you hit a wall at some point? How did you deal with it??
bright83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #2  
Born2BFit

S/C/G: 240/192/140

Height: 5'3

I dealt with some depression before I started my weight loss. When the circumstance that influenced that depression was past, I found myself looking for other things to feel down about. One day I just decided that I just was not going to put any effort into worring about what might be/could be, and just put my energy into my workouts. Exercise was what helped me deal with my early depression and whenever I start feeling blue - exercise is how I still deal with it.
Born2BFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Exercise helps me when I'm angry, or feeling sad! I used to have to take anti-depressants at my heaviest, and I suffered from anxiety attacks. Since I made my lifestyle change, I don't have those problems anymore. I feel a lot better, and it's when I don't work out, that I start to feel cranky and sluggish, so I try to keep it consistent. I also notice that fewer things bother me or get me down.
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Bright, you sound just like me. I have also finally found the right combination of meds after many, many years. And once I did, I have found it much easier to eat better. I now limit my carbs, dairy, and avoid processed food or chemicals. I feel so much better. I have also found the I lost 30 lbs. without even trying. I was doing a lot of yard work and that helped, but I wasn't doing anything really hard. I think everything gets easier when that dark cloud of depression is lifted. At least that's the way it has been for me. I have also hit a wall and have not lost any weight for a few weeks. My doc told me to just be patient and when my body is ready, the weight will start to come off again. In the meantime, I am also doing some walking but nothing too hard. Let me know how you are doing.

There is also a website called crazymeds.us that is great for people with all kinds of psychological disorders. It covers a HUGE variety of meds and has a great forum. Try it and see if you find something there.
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote