Nutrition and Labeling - GuuhhhhROSSSS!!! This is disturbing!

jenlag
07-13-2010, 12:03 PM
I do my best to share this with everyone I encounter.

Jason's Deli PLANE JANE POTATO
Natural buttery blend, cheddar, sour cream, bacon, green onions.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 potato = 1182 g

Calories 2300
Total Fat 147 g
Saturated Fat 59 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 193 mg
Sodium 2423 mg
Total Carbohydrate 190 g
Dietary Fiber 13 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 60 g

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs

This is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in my life. Plane Jane and 3 days worth of fat based on a 2,000 calorie diet! So that's probably more like 5 days for most of us!

http://www.jasonsdeli.com/nutrition/giant-potatoes/plain-jane-potato

Passionista
07-13-2010, 12:05 PM
I'd like to see the potato that has 13 grams of fiber!

Vladadog
07-13-2010, 12:12 PM
the fiber is the green onions?

Thighs Be Gone
07-13-2010, 12:13 PM
jen, it makes me sick because it SO doesn't have to be that way. The lower cal toppings are just as delicious and won't kill you! I hate restaurants that do this. Is it ANY WONDER 68% of adult Americans are overweight or obese. I won't even begin to discuss the toll it is taking on our society--and more than just financially.

Sickening, just sickening.

Shannon in ATL
07-13-2010, 12:26 PM
There is a restaurant around the corner from me that sells baked potatoes that are the size of a large dinner plate. A half potato serving is an entire normal sized potato, I think they slice two open and squish them together for the normal serving. Their plain potato (with buttery topping) lists at 800 cals I believe.

Just looked at the Jason't Deli site - they are gigantic potatoes. They are all in excess of 1000 g, the Plain Jane is by far the worst one for you. Here is the text above that section on the nutrition guide:
Potatoes
Our great, big baked potatoes are legendary. Four varieties offer standard and uncommon toppings. If you are not that hungry or prefer a lighter meal, we
offer a reduced portion potato too.

dewdrop1970
07-13-2010, 12:36 PM
This is from Noble Roman's website.
I believe this is a typo (The Total Fat is 113 g for 3 breadsticks). I emailed them, but no response.

BREADSTICKS
3 Breadsticks with Cheese
Calories 410
Calories from Fat 113
Total Fat (g) 113
Saturated Fat (g) 4
Cholesterol (mg) 15
Sodium (mg) 1050
Total Carbohydrates (g) 59
Fiber (g) 3
Sugar (g) 4
Protein (g) 16
Vitamin A (%) 6
Vitamin C (%) 0
Calcium (%) 10
Iron (%) 18

Passionista
07-13-2010, 12:49 PM
the fiber is the green onions?

:o That would be over 4 cups of green onions in that case! :dizzy:

If the potatoes are as huge as they say, then it could have 13 grams of fiber (if the skin was also eaten).

Passionista
07-13-2010, 12:50 PM
From their website: "At Jason's Deli, we're all about healthy food." :lol:

sotypical
07-13-2010, 06:03 PM
That is a huge potato. I need to see a picture of that.

EDIT: google had some

http://s3.amazonaws.com/bk_store/images/photo_object/photos/3/3/3308461/photo-feed.jpg

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/cleanplatecharlie/loaded%20baked%20potato%202.JPG

Stella4
07-13-2010, 06:10 PM
WOW! I probably don't eat that much potato in a month.

prepping
07-13-2010, 06:10 PM
I like the brocolli on the potato in that picture. That's how you can tell it's healthy.

:p

astrophe
07-13-2010, 06:20 PM
1182 grams is 41.6 oz which is 2.6 lbs of potato.

They call this one serving? I hope they mean it is one family order meant to be shared.

A.

BillBlueEyes
07-13-2010, 08:36 PM
I like the brocolli on the potato in that picture. That's how you can tell it's healthy.

:rofl:

glenlorie
07-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Ok, well some of the fiber comes from the broc, but wow that is really disturbing! All that from a freakin' potato! That is a ton of cheese!!! Wow, than's for the post, I'm glad I don't eat there!

jenlag
07-13-2010, 09:24 PM
sotypical, wow thanks for googling it! Love Google images....
I found another one. And I'll say it again gggguuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhrooosssss

View it here, the image was way too big....
http://rosedragon.org/gallery/d/4606-1/DCP_0265.JPG

MaddiesMom
07-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Everything from Jason's Deli is super fattening - even what they say is "healthy." They have a nutty mixed up SALAD that has over 1000 calories! Their chicken panini, which on the menu has a leaf next to it stating it's healthy - still has a TON of fat and sodium. I stopped going there after seeing the nutritional information. I don't go out to eat anywhere without checking nutritional info first.

jenlag
07-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Hey, while we're at it....

Have you ever been to http://www.thisiswhyyourefat.com/

midwife
07-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Poor mutant potato......

sweetnlow28
07-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Wow, that's just nasty! I have never even heard of that restaurant before. I don't think we have it here in Canada. I thought the nutrition must be a mistake too until I googled it and found this about the potato in question:

And did I say, “one big potato?” No, it’s actually TWO potatoes surgically attached into one big frankenpotato. And did my eyes deceive me? Did the menu actually call this the plain jane? What kind of “plain jane” potato comes covered in a pound of cheese, bacon bits, sour cream, and a giant wad of butter?

http://www.backtothefridge.com/plain-jane-baked-potato/

I am convinced, the fast food industry is trying to kill us all! That was hilarious about the broccoli on top making it healthy :D

JMfan
07-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Heart attack on a plate...

And people use money to buy that?

Renwomin
07-15-2010, 09:08 AM

:lol:

bunnythesAINT
07-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Lol my first thought was that it was a monster potato but then I read it was 2-in-1. That's just scary.

Suzanne 3FC
07-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Gee, the kid size potato has 796 calories and 48g fat. :dunno:

ANOther
08-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Paging This Is Why You're Fat ...

tea2
08-16-2010, 06:30 PM
If you are not that hungry or prefer a lighter meal, we offer a reduced portion potato too.[/COLOR][/B]

Don't they mean a non-freaky-non-mutant NORMAL potato? :D

Aclai4067
08-16-2010, 06:48 PM
That's a disturbing potato. But I must say, I LOVE their turkey wrap. It's the same number of WW points as a Subway turkey sandwich, only 1000x more delicious.

EagleRiverDee
08-16-2010, 07:00 PM
How can you even GET that many calories into a single potato???

hillsc
08-21-2010, 02:07 AM
How can you even GET that many calories into a single potato???

That's the trick: it's actually two potatoes on a single plate. Then it's smothered in all those toppings.

It's actually not a bad dish, as long as you remember to split it among twenty people.

M0vingon
08-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Hey, while we're at it....

Have you ever been to http://www.thisiswhyyourefat.com/

Well that site just made me lose my appetite altogether! *gag*

4star
09-28-2010, 09:46 AM
I have had one of those and they are HUGE! They easily fill a dinner plate and I couldn't finish it. I HOPE that calorie count is wrong or else it will be a very long time (if ever) before I allow myself another one! :o

How totally odd that you could have a bacon cheeseburger, fries, and full calorie soda at most places and still eat less calories than that baked potato....

ringmaster
09-28-2010, 03:05 PM
just read this post... wow, that's crazy!! there's also 190g of carbs, even a regular large potato (http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fresh-or-dried-vegetables-potatoes-baked-flesh-skin-with-salt_f-Y2lkPTE0Nzc1JmJpZD0xJmZpZD03MTA3NCZlaWQ9NTk0NTY0Nj AzJnBvcz0yJnBhcj0ma2V5PXBvdGF0bw.html) has 63.4g carbs.

Aiesline
11-24-2010, 11:19 AM
I use to frequent Jasons deli and myself and 3 friends would order ONE of those and split it order single salad bar trip each and We all got full. It's a absolutely MUTANTLY large potato. To be honest sometimes I'd skip the salad.

RoseRodent
11-25-2010, 03:56 AM
I can't believe they refer to the smaller version as a "reduced portion" - even half of that is too much for me. My typical potato is about 140g. Heck, the kids' meal is too much for me! Not even talking calories here, but sheer bulk and quantity. Unbelievable.

Serval87
05-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Like french fries weren't bad enough. lol.

jennifer2662
06-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Wow!

joyfulloser
06-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Ok..call me crazy:dizzy:, but that potato featured on page 1 of this thread looks absolutely TO DIE FOR (literally)!!!:p Seriously...its obviously delishous since it made some DELI famous!:eek:

I would love to try SOME one day. I think the ALL or NOTHING mentality is a bigger killer than that potato. No one says you have to eat it ALL or that you have to eat it every single day of your life. I guarantee you if I ate that entire POTATO with all the fixins...I would NOT even gain one pound of fat....I'd be sick as heck though, and probably never want to see a potato or cheese or green onions ever again!:lol:

Point here people...potatoes are healthy. cheese is healthy. bacon (well not so much), but it does have some health benefits, and butter is not evil. Any food is ok in moderation. This dish was obviously not prepared or designed to be a dietary staple or to be eaten in one sitting by one person!

Just my 2 cents...:D

PacSunMama
06-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Ok..call me crazy:dizzy:, but that potato featured on page 1 of this thread looks absolutely TO DIE FOR (literally)!!!:p Seriously...its obviously delishous since it made some DELI famous!:eek:

I would love to try SOME one day. I think the ALL or NOTHING mentality is a bigger killer than that potato. No one says you have to eat it ALL or that you have to eat it every single day of your life. I guarantee you if I ate that entire POTATO with all the fixins...I would NOT even gain one pound of fat....I'd be sick as heck though, and probably never want to see a potato or cheese or green onions ever again!:lol:

Point here people...potatoes are healthy. cheese is healthy. bacon (well not so much), but it does have some health benefits, and butter is not evil. Any food is ok in moderation. This dish was obviously not prepared or designed to be a dietary staple or to be eaten in one sitting by one person!

Just my 2 cents...:D

I totally agree with you. I watch that show on Food Network where the guy goes around trying to eat these HUGE platters of food from different restaurants. Usually the owner of the restaurant says how many people have attempted it versus how many people have succeeded, and the ratio is really small. I think that a person doesn't usually walk in and order the "Earthquake" at my local ice cream shop, but some do to get the plaque on the wall. It's like some obscene amount of ice cream, different toppings, etc. But even though they offer that as a choice, I bet 99% of people come in and order 1 or 2 scoops of ice cream.

Just saying... it may be horrific and gross, but it's a choice people make to eat that or not. I do think the FDA or someone needs to step in and define "healthy" for our country though. I cringe when I hear restaurants toting off their "lighter" menu, then go look and it still has 600 calories and isn't very healthy after all. It's not fair to deceive people and call things healthy- we on 3fc might know better because we're actively working on it. But not everyone is at that point in their life, they think they're eating "healthy" when really, they are eating a lot of really horrible food.

kurisitaru
06-12-2011, 03:31 PM
I do think the FDA or someone needs to step in and define "healthy" for our country though. I cringe when I hear restaurants toting off their "lighter" menu, then go look and it still has 600 calories and isn't very healthy after all. It's not fair to deceive people and call things healthy- we on 3fc might know better because we're actively working on it. But not everyone is at that point in their life, they think they're eating "healthy" when really, they are eating a lot of really horrible food.

I agree with you! I use to go to a restaurant and just order off the menu with the things labeled "healthy" found out after a while that most of those things were loaded with sodium and calories. I now have a habit of Googling some of the food I get before I get it, I love smart phones.

Starbucks fraps are even more terrifying. I use to work there and some people would get a Venti caramel frapacino with extra extra extra caramel and whip cream blended in as well. They would get this drink EVERY DAY. I'm not kidding. One guy always said, "Breakfast of champions" as he walked out with a Venti Mocha Frapachino with extra caramel and java bean chips...

HeatherEljohari
06-13-2011, 09:52 AM
yeah i think that potato can be split by like 6-7 people.

Bombshell
07-07-2011, 08:17 PM
wow, that is some huge potato... and a ton of cheese... i could probably eat that whole thing but i wont

robinlynn
07-07-2011, 09:52 PM

RFLMAO!!!

alaskanlaughter
07-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I agree with you! I use to go to a restaurant and just order off the menu with the things labeled "healthy" found out after a while that most of those things were loaded with sodium and calories. I now have a habit of Googling some of the food I get before I get it, I love smart phones.

Starbucks fraps are even more terrifying. I use to work there and some people would get a Venti caramel frapacino with extra extra extra caramel and whip cream blended in as well. They would get this drink EVERY DAY. I'm not kidding. One guy always said, "Breakfast of champions" as he walked out with a Venti Mocha Frapachino with extra caramel and java bean chips...

sounds like my kinda guy ! LOL that sounds sooo goood...which is probably why i'm fat lol...could i just have the java bean chips for breakfast? ...also, the potato looked good too :dizzy:

Harriette
07-08-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm so glad others agree that looks like the tastiest potato ever! Not that I would eat one now but I certainly would have 6 months ago :D and chased it with a giant coke and probably some fried chicken - now THAT is why I was fat :o

We ate at Hash House a-go-go in Vegas (features on man vrs food). I didn't understand exactly what a "large" plate was... I think I ate about 1/6th of the food on my plate and husband couldn't even help since his was so large too. Its the only time I have ever taken pictures of my food.

I still love and want to eat everything in sight, but now I eat the Smart ones potato, cheese, broccoli meal instead of that yummy one pictured on page 1 (the smart ones are yummy too!)

devnet
07-22-2011, 06:30 AM
WTF did they DO to the potatoes to make them grow that big?! Also, ewww.

CardboardCutoutCat
07-22-2011, 07:07 AM
That is a huge potato. I need to see a picture of that.

EDIT: google had some

http://s3.amazonaws.com/bk_store/images/photo_object/photos/3/3/3308461/photo-feed.jpg

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/cleanplatecharlie/loaded%20baked%20potato%202.JPG

That...looks.....AMAZING. Oh my god, sometimes I'm so glad I don't live stateside, I just wouldn't have the willpower that you guys have to resist crap like that

canadianwoman
07-22-2011, 07:31 AM
I am glad that that restaurant is not in Canada because I also think that potato looks good.

It reminds me when Outback was in Canada (they pulled out a couple of years back) and the boyfriend I was with at the time always wanted to go there so he could get a Bloomin' Onion. He loved those things and there I was, trying to choose the healthiest meal possible while he chowed down on an onion, the cup of sauce it came with and the free loaf of bread and butter they brought to the table. (I never touched the bread). All washed down with copious amounts of diet sodas.

When we got home I looked up the onion in my calorie counting books. Over 1000 calories and a TON of fat. No thanks!....and no wonder he was all sleepy and sluggish the rest of the evening.

Yeah, I would be sick if I tried to eat that whole potato.:p