Weight Loss Support - Eat buffets- lose 35 lbs

View Full Version : Eat buffets- lose 35 lbs

bigmarh
07-12-2010, 05:50 PM
I have lost 35 pounds on my new journey.

I know it sounds funny but I have eaten one buffet a week for two months and Have lost 35 lbs from my start, and 45 from my max. My trainer gets upset with me but I wanted to know is anyone else still eating buffets. I told my trainer it's not the buffet but what you eat on the buffet. But he said it's not good to promote it. Why do you all think? It's worked for me.

duckyyellowfeet
07-12-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm not a huge buffet person in general. I think I've only been to one since I started losing weight. I just think the food isn't normally that great.

But I think if you're going to make healthy choices and are committed to sticking to your calorie limits, then it doesn't really matter what is presented in front of you.

Rhythm
07-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Have you tried dieting without buffets? You should try it and see... Maybe your weight loss would be even more successful.

If there isn't a significant difference, and you enjoy eating at buffets, that's awesome. lol. You deserve a weekly treat. I wish I could do what you do. :P

And congrats on eating the right things... I'm not sure if I'd have that much self control.

ennay
07-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Sometimes if I am looking at a restaurant I would rather a buffet. Then I can pick and choose what looks healthy and have a salad of a decent size and protein and not have to get the starch even though I told them no thanks.

I lost 60 lbs on a strict diet of "chocolate every day and (white crust full fat) pizza every week" Bottom line is if it works for you and you would feel deprived without it I see no reason to change. For me if I gave up that piece of chocolate after lunch I would go on a snacky rampage in the afternoon. And on days when I can almost taste the pizza and didnt get it I would eat 800 extra calories sometimes multiple days in a row trying to overcome the craving that could have been solved with 400 calories of pizza each Tuesday.

I dont get the pizza that often anymore, but when the craving hits I still do. But I still do the chocolate every day.

If someday it stops working, look at changing it then.

fatmad
07-12-2010, 06:34 PM
I find that buffets are sometimes easier than other restaurants.
A lot of places charge extra to substitute salad for fries. THe plates have too much food on them. You get little choice in veggies.
A buffet lets you put the mix of proteins veggies and carbs on your plate that YOU want. If you do it right, I think they can be better than many restaurants. You have obviously been learning portion control and how to make good choices when eating out, or you wouldn't be so successful.
Enjoy the treat and the company when you are there.

steph15
07-12-2010, 06:39 PM
I have avoided buffets since I started my weight loss journey. I used to eat at them all the time, (suprise, suprise). But, I really do not trust myself at them. I definitely think that my willpower has improved but I just do not want to test it. I think if you are able to lose while eating at a buffet once a week more power to you!

bigmarh
07-12-2010, 06:44 PM
That's what my trainer said. He said you will probably lose more f you didn't go there. So i listened for a week. And I wound up gaining a pound. I only ate fruits, veggies and the lean meats when I went. That's why I think it is strange. My trainer works with other big guys and he says that they all can't do it. But my question is how does he know.

The reason I quit all the other times is because I was killing myself trying ot eat exactly right. But this time I am making it more about Lifestyle and not as much about diet. And It's working for me.

bigmarh
07-12-2010, 06:46 PM
I have avoided buffets since I started my weight loss journey. I used to eat at them all the time, (suprise, suprise). But, I really do not trust myself at them. I definitely think that my willpower has improved but I just do not want to test it. I think if you are able to lose while eating at a buffet once a week more power to you!

Thanks Steph. My trainer always says that I can't promote it because everyone is not like me. But I say promote it because someone may be. And it may help them stick to it.

bigmarh
07-12-2010, 06:47 PM
I find that buffets are sometimes easier than other restaurants.
A lot of places charge extra to substitute salad for fries. THe plates have too much food on them. You get little choice in veggies.
A buffet lets you put the mix of proteins veggies and carbs on your plate that YOU want. If you do it right, I think they can be better than many restaurants. You have obviously been learning portion control and how to make good choices when eating out, or you wouldn't be so successful.
Enjoy the treat and the company when you are there.
That's exactly what I was saying fatmad. I guess only time will tell.

Rhythm
07-12-2010, 06:48 PM
That's what my trainer said. He said you will probably lose more f you didn't go there. So i listened for a week. And I wound up gaining a pound.
Weird. Maybe eating at the buffet once a week has been giving your metabolism a little kick?

Losing It 2010
07-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Even when I was eating whatever I wanted buffet never worked for me. I cannot eat a lot in one sitting so financially it made absolutely no sense for me to spend close to $20 for a buffet.

I have lost 35 pounds on my new journey.

I know it sounds funny but I have eaten one buffet a week for two months and Have lost 35 lbs from my start, and 45 from my max. My trainer gets upset with me but I wanted to know is anyone else still eating buffets. I told my trainer it's not the buffet but what you eat on the buffet. But he said it's not good to promote it. Why do you all think? It's worked for me.

Gold32
07-12-2010, 06:57 PM
That's what my trainer said. He said you will probably lose more f you didn't go there. So i listened for a week. And I wound up gaining a pound. I only ate fruits, veggies and the lean meats when I went. That's why I think it is strange.

I think you've lost a very significant amount *with* going. Here's a case where you have to weigh happiness and long term viability with getting their fastest. You know, we could probably all lose faster. That's not a good logical reason in itself.

As for the gaining a pound, I have experienced that myself. That after a weekend where my calories were more at a maintain-level, my weight dips more. I like to think it is more proof that the zig-zag approach, or similar, works.

So, if you couldn't guess by now, I do eat buffets occasionally. Since my tastes and my stomach capacity have changed a bit, I don't do much damage at a buffet and quite enjoy them. I think you should continue doing the same. :)

jenlag
07-12-2010, 07:14 PM
I ALWAYS overeat when dining in at a buffet, which doesn't happen often. I always wind up angry at myself because I am in physical pain and discomfort from overeating. I do however, buy buffets 'to go', either Chinese or Greek. These are weighed out by the pound and I put minimal amounts in my box; I can't overeat if the food isn't there to eat!

And you are correct, it's all about what you are eating on the buffet. If you are at a pizza buffet, probably not the best idea. However, there buffets that have boiled seafood on them, which would be fine.

bigmarh
07-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks everyone. My trainer and I have been buddies since the age of 11. He and I are doing a sorta web series just to document my changes and talk about health. This will give me fuel for our debate. :) There are others like me! Hopefully he will lay off. BTW does anyone know how to get these comment updates in my email. I am liking this site.

Onederchic
07-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks everyone. My trainer and I have been buddies since the age of 11. He and I are doing a sorta web series just to document my changes and talk about health. This will give me fuel for our debate. :) There are others like me! Hopefully he will lay off. BTW does anyone know how to get these comment updates in my email. I am liking this site.

I think there should be an option to subscribe to the thread then to receive instant email on thread replies at your control panel.

bigmarh
07-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I think there should be an option to subscribe to the thread then to receive instant email on thread replies at your control panel.
Thanks!!!!

KayNicole
07-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Congratulations on your progress so far! I don't know how you did it! I know I couldn't have. lol I know I don't have the self control. On top of that I am on a tight income so I hate the idea of buffets. I can't take any leftovers home so I feel compelled to eat more to make it worth it. Buffets and I do not get along. lol You are right in that it is about what you eat. There are some healthy items in buffets but I know I would still over eat every time. :(

nelie
07-12-2010, 08:34 PM
I actually have always abhorred buffets, even at my highest weight. They certainly weren't what got me fat :) I know a lot of people avoid eating out in general but I eat out once a week.

bigmarh
07-12-2010, 08:39 PM
I actually have always abhorred buffets, even at my highest weight. They certainly weren't what got me fat :) I know a lot of people avoid eating out in general but I eat out once a week.
Yeah my once a week is a buffet.

MissKelly
07-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Ive never been a buffet person because the thought of a bunch of people possibly breathing over the food...coughing..sneezing & touching the same scooping utensils to scoop it with where I have no idea where other peoples hands have been just turns my stomach.

nelie
07-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Ive never been a buffet person because the thought of a bunch of people possibly breathing over the food...coughing..sneezing & touching the same scooping utensils to scoop it with where I have no idea where other peoples hands have been just turns my stomach.

Yeah my reason was I thought it was gross for food to just be sitting out there for extended periods of time. I want my food cooked fresh for me.

MissKelly
07-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Yeah my reason was I thought it was gross for food to just be sitting out there for extended periods of time. I want my food cooked fresh for me.

I'll second that...& I dont even want to think about what theyre cooking that stuff in to get a bang for their buck. American chinese food is gross in my opinion....always better to order it individual & customized in a restaurant asking them to cook it in the "real traditional chinese" way like they do in China...which cuts out most of the garbage. I just think buffets are way too unsanitary from the breathing over it ((that plastic doohicky doesnt protect squat))...to the utensils...to the spores people kick up from the carpet & uhggg.....:(

I know...it sounds like I need buffet therapy!!!! lol

bigmarh
07-12-2010, 09:14 PM
I'll second that...& I dont even want to think about what theyre cooking that stuff in to get a bang for their buck. American chinese food is gross in my opinion....always better to order it individual & customized in a restaurant asking them to cook it in the "real traditional chinese" way like they do in China...which cuts out most of the garbage. I just think buffets are way too unsanitary from the breathing over it ((that plastic doohicky doesnt protect squat))...to the utensils...to the spores people kick up from the carpet & uhggg.....:(

I know...it sounds like I need buffet therapy!!!! lol
Yes, it does. :) I may stop eating them now. HAHAHAHA

MissKelly
07-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Yes, it does. :) I may stop eating them now. HAHAHAHA

Im sorry!!! lol Ill just shush now & let everyone enjoy their buffet without my disturbing visuals...bon appetit!!! :rofl:

fivestone
07-13-2010, 06:12 AM
I went to a lovely Chinese buffet with my husband this past weekend. But then, I didn't eat much during the rest of the day, and did a ton of walking. I still lost weight. Will I go to a buffet every week? Probably not, that's a bit much for me. But will I go once in a while, now that I see that my body can handle it? Sure. My body seems to stall if its too deprived, and it sounds like your body is the same way.

fatmad
07-13-2010, 08:01 PM
I went out to supper twice last week. (Lucky me). I spent 28 $ at the restaurant meal, appropriate servings, delicious food. Meal with salad was about 700 cals. so great.
Went to a buffet, meal cost was 17$. I could have eaten more, but had a plate of leafy salad, and coleslaw, and a plate of lean meat and veggies. No more.
Didn't have dessert.
I actually spent less at the buffet, but ate similar portions and amounts of calories. But if you can't go to the buffet without overeating, or feeling that you won't get your moneys worth if you don't eat more, then they are to be avoided.
But in the big picture, they are good places to go with a dietitian and look at portion sizes and healthy choices. Field trip anyone?

Lori Bell
07-13-2010, 11:06 PM
I went out to supper twice last week. (Lucky me). I spent 28 $ at the restaurant meal, appropriate servings, delicious food. Meal with salad was about 700 cals. so great.
Went to a buffet, meal cost was 17$.

I must live in a very cheap area...Our nearest Chinese buffet is $5.25 all you can eat...lol :D (Run by real Chinese people and very tasty I must add). I'm such a tight-wad though, I couldn't spend $45 for 2 meals for myself because all I would think of is the weeks worth of healthy groceries I could get for the same money. :o

Hyacinth
07-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Many people have lost weight (and kept it off) by having one day a week be a "cheat day" where they can have whatever they want. I think buffets are similar.

I think Glory87 said this once - the first plate of a buffet can be whatever she wants, but any plates thereafter have to be vegetables only. Something to that effect.

It's all about moderation, balance. Buffets every night for dinner probably won't get you anywhere. If you find yourself going on a several-day binge that started with a buffet, then probably not a great idea.

I think you are doing a wonderful job! Weight loss has to be sustainable, and you have to make decisions that work with real life. And you're a tall person - I have a tall son (who isn't overweight) who would choose a buffet because he can get the portion sizes needed to fill him up.

bigmarh
07-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Many people have lost weight (and kept it off) by having one day a week be a "cheat day" where they can have whatever they want. I think buffets are similar.

I think Glory87 said this once - the first plate of a buffet can be whatever she wants, but any plates thereafter have to be vegetables only. Something to that effect.

It's all about moderation, balance. Buffets every night for dinner probably won't get you anywhere. If you find yourself going on a several-day binge that started with a buffet, then probably not a great idea.

I think you are doing a wonderful job! Weight loss has to be sustainable, and you have to make decisions that work with real life. And you're a tall person - I have a tall son (who isn't overweight) who would choose a buffet because he can get the portion sizes needed to fill him up.
This is a great source of info. Thanks everyone for the encouragement and comments. To be honest I like talking to people that are dealing with these issues directly. Unlike my trainer who couldn't gain a pound if he wanted too.

19Deltawifey
07-13-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm losing weight on a not so typical diet. It is possible to lose weight without "dieting" so I practice moderation. Restriction does not worked for me in the long haul. The buffet once a week wont hurt but it might make the weight come of slower but who ever said losing weight had to be a race? Obviously your doing something right since the weight is coming off, also when I go to buffet I make a salad and then I eat a plate of regular fattening food so this is a total of 2 plates but I haven't been to a buffet in months so this is a rare occasion

synger
07-14-2010, 11:46 AM
when I don't bring my lunch to work, I go to a pay-by-the-ounce buffet. It has a salad bar, and a hot bar, and you pick and choose what you want for lunch. I pick a meat (often fish or roasted beef or chicken), then load up on various veggies. I usually choose at least three different veggies: Chinese green beans, asparagus, beets, cucumber salad, tomato/mozzarella salad, kale and peppers, etc.

On days when I eat at the buffet, I easily get my veggie servings in, and can eat the things that I can't have at home (cucumbers, asparagus, beets). So long as I avoid the fried stuff, I find it very easy to stay within my calories for lunch. And the variety is amazing.

Since I eat fairly low-carb (I aim for fewer than 100 grams/day), I no longer have cravings for sweets and breads, so that's not so tempting for me. Even dinner buffets don't tempt me so much with desserts and fried stuff. It just doesn't taste good to me anymore.

I love the flexibility that a buffet affords. I can load up on veggies that I didn't have to cut, wash, prep, and cook. I can enjoy good lean protein and fresh fruit. Buffets are a great choice for me for eating out with others, so they can get whatever they want and I know I'll be able to find something that works on my plan, too.

That being said, I could not do buffets earlier in my journey, when I still had daily cravings for starches and sweets, and I had the "just one mouthful won't hurt" mentality. But now that that stuff is "verboten", it just doesn't appeal to me like it used to. And thus buffets are very helpful options for eating out on plan.

ennay
07-14-2010, 12:04 PM
And I have to be honest, one of the things I like about a buffet is I can have a teeny tiny portion of something I might be craving that I could not order. I will often allow myself 1 piece of general tso's or 1/4 cup of alfredo noodles or something similar in a buffet and then the rest of the meal is healthy. Just a taste satisfies, but I couldnt order a meal of it and eat just a taste.

nelie
07-14-2010, 12:15 PM
And I have to be honest, one of the things I like about a buffet is I can have a teeny tiny portion of something I might be craving that I could not order. I will often allow myself 1 piece of general tso's or 1/4 cup of alfredo noodles or something similar in a buffet and then the rest of the meal is healthy. Just a taste satisfies, but I couldnt order a meal of it and eat just a taste.

That is what husband's are for :) Although we generally go out to Chinese, so we order a couple dishes. If I want a 'taste' of something, I order and then my husband gets the leftovers of it.

Although I have been to Indian buffets which are generally good and you can see them put fresh food out constantly. My parents like buffets so when they came to visit, we took them to one here (although to be honest, I thought I could order off the menu as well which turned out not to be the case).

ennay
07-14-2010, 12:54 PM
sigh, my husband is smaller than I am and just doesnt eat enough of the fattening stuff. If he orders something like that he'll have leftovers. That he will take home. And then not eat. And they will be in my fridge. Staring at me. For days. And I'll beg him to eat them or throw them out. And he will say he will eat them tomorrow, but he doesn't. GAAAAAH!

I like indian buffets also.

nelie
07-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Maybe that is why I serve my husband food and make his lunch. Easy to get rid of leftovers.