Weight Loss Support - Some stall & some dont...how come?

MissKelly
07-11-2010, 10:17 PM
This is probably a silly question but I just cant shake it out of my head. :^:

Im confused why some people will stall for over a month or for months & months on end doing all the right things ((& after trying different ways to get it moving again))...& some like me that wont stall for more than 4 or 5 days til it gets moving again. There are so many times when I see a thread about a really long stall & I feel bad & I just dont know what to say or what to offer to it except to wait it out...honestly I just start to feel bad cause I havent encountered it ((yet)) & they are...especially when someone has a very long stall in their 1st 30lbs lost.

Ive been thinking about this lately....why can some chug along without difficulty & some cant even when they stay on plan & active?

FreeSpirit
07-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Why can some people eat non stop for days on end without gaining an ounce? Why can my husband run for miles without breaking a sweet and I jog a mile and feel like I'm going to pass out?

Because all of our bodies are different. No two people are the same. Your body is so much more complicated than an equation.

MissKelly
07-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Sorry I asked....never mind. I felt silly for asking it to begin with but now I just feel totally stupid.

mandalinn82
07-11-2010, 10:39 PM
But it's not at all a dumb question...it's something everyone needs to be aware of (and we often need reminders of!)

Here's an example. Right now, I'm on painkillers (have been for a while, in fact) for a major shoulder/neck injury. They stall me, and I have to FIGHT not to gain while on them, even with behaviors that resulted in loss or maintenance before. Something in my body physiology makes that "calories in/calories out" equation go wonky when you add in the painkillers. I'm not eating more, I'm exercising more, but I'm maintaining. It's just how it is.

Our bodies are different, and not only that, they change as time goes on. And everyone needs to be aware of that so that, when they hit a stall or have a slowdown, they know that sometimes, that's just how it is, and it's not necessarily a personal failure of any kind.

So thank you for asking the question, because sometimes, we all need the reminder!

Wild Vulpix
07-11-2010, 10:42 PM
No, I think it's a very valid question, and I think the classic "everyone is different" is a cop out answer. Don't feel stupid :)

Obviously every one is different but WHAT makes us different? I'd like to know too why one person's body is wired so heavily to resist losing fat, and someone else's can drop it like a hat. Is it genetic? Hormonal balance? Something chemical?

I don't think even modern science could fully answer this question, but I'd like to know... other than just "everyone is different" I'd like to know WHY and HOW (specifically, not in broad terms) we're different. Maybe some people can enlighten us with their own personal experiences, and if they had to do anything special to smash their plateaus...

ALEKS
07-11-2010, 11:41 PM
I exercise with interval circuit training heavily and eat as clean as possible and my weight moves super slow. I wish it would go faster sometimes..>I get impatient. Other times I just let nature take it's course... I know my body is healthier for the decisions I make. I feel because my weight it should be melting off...but not so!

gardenerjoy
07-12-2010, 12:56 AM
I've been wondering about that, too. I've been thinking that one factor is the different choices we make about how to approach our weight loss. In particular, our starting calories.

Some people, like me, start losing weight at the highest amount of calories that will get it going. So, if I were to use one of those calculators, I'd put in my height and current weight and start with the calories advised to lose a pound or two a week. I know, for sure, that as the weight goes down, I'll have to lower the calories. But, the gradual approach gives me confidence that I can do it step by step.

Other people, I understand, put in their goal weight and start their weight loss journey eating the number of calories required to maintain that eventual weight. If all goes well, they won't have to lower the calories as they go along. And, I assume, the weight loss is faster at the beginning and less likely to stall.

Both methods have advantages and disadvantages. The biggest factor to success, in either case, is sticking to the weight loss journey for the long haul. So, the choice is less about speed or the potential of stalling and more about what each of us believes will work for us over time.

Does that make sense?

MissKelly
07-12-2010, 02:58 AM
Thanks for all responses!! I didnt run off crying...I do my laps at night & had to run off to the pool. Cant disappoint the mosquitoes that depend on me for their feast ya know...

So many factors to think about that were mentioned...some I thought about...some I didnt...all make sense. I know for me for now...my body poops out a bit when it keeps getting what its expecting & then I have to manipulate it with a day increase. Not sure how long that will keep working for it though before it once again outsmarts me. Been through plan A...on plan B...have no plan C yet. Sometimes not knowing what turn it'll take makes me feel nervous....maybe Im just letting this get to me since Im pre TOM right now & more emotional than usual...((that I am!!!)):^:

I havent been on birth control for a couple years & I dont plan to get back on it yet cause Im not going to put myself out there to start dating again til Im in a 12. Im still pretty jaded & fearful of the dating scene cause when I dated at 308 some guys I met had no shame in calling me fat..or big...& one took off out the door on me never to be heard from again when I was mistaken the date was going good....my aha moment. Still working through those psychological dents I got from it... anyway...Im a bit fearful of the birth control affecting my loss...but I know I cant avoid being on it unless I plan to stay asexual forever...lol...:o I know...will suck it up...just voicing a concern. My mind is going to overheat from all these thoughts lately...;)

I hope I can word this right.....I cant remember the years they say a womans body chemistry changes...isnt it about every 5 or 7 years it changes?? Also how much does someones chemistry change from drastically gaining or losing ((and how...in what ways)) compared to someone who never has....would that null & void out ((or interrupt)) the general change of the approx "5 or 7 years" we go through??? Was wondering about that when swimming... not looking for facts unless you know...interested in thoughts & maybe what you noticed in yourself from then to now?? :)

My brain needs an off switch....:dizzy:

Eliana
07-12-2010, 08:20 AM
I'm so glad you asked the question that is honestly on everyone's mind. ;)

I think I may have brought on most of my stalls by changing things too quickly. I didn't think about that until you posted this, but I just realized I haven't had a good stall in a while. I figured out that my body's natural pattern is to lose for 2 weeks and then maintain for 2 weeks and there's no fighting it. Once I realized that I stopped increasing my effort like a madwoman and the month long stalls quit. I just know if I'm patient and keep on doing what I need to do my body slowly but steadily loses pounds. And with all my activity, I'm very certain it's all FAT! :D

Shmead
07-12-2010, 10:33 AM
As far as body chemistry goes, mine has changed 180 degrees since I started this: my insulin and testosterone levels used to be off the charts on the high end, (42 and 91) and now they are almost off the charts from being so low (5.6 and 30). I am having regular spontaneous periods for the first time in my life. My whole system is working and it's amazing how comfortable I feel in my body. So yes, weight loss will alter your body chemistry. Or rather, weight gain has altered it and weight loss can restore it.

catherinef
07-12-2010, 01:46 PM
I had two longish stalls (just under a month, and just shy of six weeks) fairly late in my weight loss. Both times, however, I dropped a bunch of weight really quickly as soon as the stalls ended. I was on plan, and I knew it, and the only explanation I can come up with is that I had lost SO MUCH weight at that point, and in the case of the second stall, I was just on the right side of 'normal," that my body was just taking a rest. I did visibly shrink a bit in that time, but the scale was not being terribly friendly.

SCraver
07-12-2010, 02:11 PM
I know a lot of people say a calorie is a calorie... but I can't believe that if I eat 140 calories of doritos it is going to have the same affect on my body as 140 calories of veggies or beans. I think that plays into it, too. I think there is such a huge variety of diets that different people are going to lose differently.

As far as body chemistry changing... I don't doubt it. I have noticed a HUGE change in my body since I had my son. (he is about a year and a half now). I am 31. but, I have heard other women who have NOT had babies who have turned 30 feel like their bodies have changed, too.

MissKelly
07-12-2010, 02:11 PM
My brain slowed down a bit today!! Dont you just hate when thinking moods hit ya???

shmead: Happy you mention TOM!! For 2 yrs I thought I was starting to go into early menopause ((with no other signs))....each time TOM came it would move up a week...it never failed. Now since March ...Ive noticed its been coming more timely except last month it did move up a week earlier like in the old pattern but I just thought it was from heavier exercise I was doing. I never gave it a thought the weight might've had something to do with it.

Eliana & Catherinef: Thats the patterns my son has in his loss so far...either good 2 weeks...then a stall 2 weeks.......or........just like the month long stall he came off of the beginning of July & 12lbs fell off him since as of yesterday. He didnt change anything either just kept doing what he normally did.....& with so much patience too.

Wild Vulpix
07-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Don't be afraid of birth control :D I've done my research on it, and the MAJORITY of the time, weight gain due to birth control is simply because it increases appetite. So if you're counting calories, it shouldn't be a problem. And if you're counting calories and the scale is still going up... then just switch for a different birth control.

I want to add that.... I seem to stall when I exercise! I feel like I lose a lot faster when I don't exercise. It's almost frustrating. BUT I know when I'm not exercising, my body is munching on the muscle tissue.

I read about this girl who had a similar issue. She said that she didn't lose much, if anything, the first six weeks of exercising. Then eventually, her body went "AH HAH!" and it learned to start burning fat instead of muscle. So maybe (hopefully) my body is trying to learn to default to burning fat instead of muscle!

MissKelly
07-12-2010, 02:25 PM
I know a lot of people say a calorie is a calorie... but I can't believe that if I eat 140 calories of doritos it is going to have the same affect on my body as 140 calories of veggies or beans. I think that plays into it, too. I think there is such a huge variety of diets that different people are going to lose differently.

I agree with you on that......a calorie is definitely not a calorie...but to me a carb is a carb. I already did the a calorie is a calorie diet when I gained lol....& the "if I measure my cheetos by the size of my palm Im good on portion & its healthy!!!" Wish I could be more lenient on what calories in my mouth but I cant & wont...I treat some bad calorie foods as if Im allergic to them cause I know what they do to me. I just figure that'll be my excuse when I have to pass on something offered that tempts me..."Im allergic..." No one wants to break up a party to call the medics.....

SCraver
07-12-2010, 02:52 PM
I treat some bad calorie foods as if Im allergic to them cause I know what they do to me. I just figure that'll be my excuse when I have to pass on something offered that tempts me..."Im allergic..." No one wants to break up a party to call the medics.....

I Lol'ed when I read this! That is a fantastic idea! Sometimes, with the way I have reacted to fried foods, I almost wonder if i AM actually allergic. (is that possible?) So, I avoid those... I have to start thinking the same about other "bad" foods!

MissKelly
07-12-2010, 03:17 PM
I Lol'ed when I read this! That is a fantastic idea! Sometimes, with the way I have reacted to fried foods, I almost wonder if i AM actually allergic. (is that possible?) So, I avoid those... I have to start thinking the same about other "bad" foods!

Thats possible...theres 2 foods Ive developed allergies to over the years. What reaction do you get from fried foods?

lol....Ive given this excuse thing tons of thought....

If I say Im dieting.......people will end up scoffing or giving the "just one wont hurt"...I dont want to deal with this cause some people just dont know when to back off......

If I say it gives me gas or the trotts....theyll tell me they have gas-x or pepto bismol......theres always that 1 in the crowd whos the fix all with a pharmacy in her purse....

If it just really looks gross or they have bad cooking or loaded with butter..oils etc.........no contest....just allergic!!! :D ((lucky I dont eat lots of what people will serve anyway...plus I can just tell them I dont eat what they do...meat..the list goes on etc.....they cant argue with that))

Something I want I have to say no to...scare them......allergic...pepto bismol cant fix that!!! lol

Im just gonna be Bubble Girl.....:sssh:

Lori Bell
07-12-2010, 03:25 PM
I always wondered about your original question as well. Why do some people have plateaus, and some don't? It certainly is thought provoking.

I never have had a plateau. In all the years of "dieting", all the years of yo-yo-ing, I never had a stall that was not self induced. One thing about me though, I have a tendency to gain weight really fast. For many years I hovered between 190 to 240ish (yo-yoing), but each time I would lose weight I always gained it back really fast. I often wonder if that is the reason I never plateau. I wonder if people who gain weight very slowly throughout the years stall more often than people who can put on 100 pounds in a year?

FreeSpirit
07-12-2010, 03:31 PM
I always wondered about your original question as well. Why do some people have plateaus, and some don't? It certainly is thought provoking.

I never have had a plateau. In all the years of "dieting", all the years of yo-yo-ing, I never had a stall that was not self induced. One thing about me though, I have a tendency to gain weight really fast. For many years I hovered between 190 to 240ish (yo-yoing), but each time I would lose weight I always gained it back really fast. I often wonder if that is the reason I never plateau. I wonder if people who gain weight very slowly throughout the years stall more often than people who can put on 100 pounds in a year?

I can share my experience. I went from around 155 to 234 in less than a year and I had NO stalls getting down to this weight. I've been stuck here for quite a while, but mostly by my own doing.

To whoever said that we are all different is a cop-out answer, that sounds pretty contradictory because ALL of the answers we have just posted talk about how different are bodies truly are, and how our bodies react differently to weight loss. ;)

SCraver
07-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Thats possible...theres 2 foods Ive developed allergies to over the years. What reaction do you get from fried foods?

I get what I called "fried food tummy". I wake up in the middle of the night with this awful nauseous feeling in my stomach and I know I am not going to actually be sick, but I just feel like I want to die. It doesn't happen every time I eat fried food - but I do know that is what it is from. It also used to happen after I ate a Uno's pepperoni, personal deep dish pizza.

If I say Im dieting.......people will end up scoffing or giving the "just one wont hurt"...I dont want to deal with this cause some people just dont know when to back off......

If I say it gives me gas or the trotts....theyll tell me they have gas-x or pepto bismol......theres always that 1 in the crowd whos the fix all with a pharmacy in her purse....

Lol! It is sort of funny to think about taking medication just to eat... well... crap. I used to get heartburn EVERY day. Since I have been eating better, I almost never get it.

MissKelly
07-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Lori: I think you could be onto something cause that makes sense. Wonder if theres a connection??? Id be really interested to see who gained what in what span of time & what troubles theyve had with plateaus ...if any... based on that....

Me....gained 158lbs in 2 yrs...no trouble with plateaus...((yet)).....

MissKelly
07-12-2010, 04:00 PM
I get what I called "fried food tummy". I wake up in the middle of the night with this awful nauseous feeling in my stomach and I know I am not going to actually be sick, but I just feel like I want to die. It doesn't happen every time I eat fried food - but I do know that is what it is from. It also used to happen after I ate a Uno's pepperoni, personal deep dish pizza.

Lol! It is sort of funny to think about taking medication just to eat... well... crap. I used to get heartburn EVERY day. Since I have been eating better, I almost never get it.

Some things have done that to me...Ive gotten a sour stomach only worse...that goes all the way up to right under the lower rib cage ((that little space)). Like someone socked you there... maybe its similar or the same??

Freespirit: Now thats making me think that LoriBell might have found a connection...interested to see if theres a continued pattern with everyone. Then maybe when people come to a stall...we might have to start asking them how fast they gained it to connect dots....

motivated chickie
07-12-2010, 05:14 PM
I never stall unless I completely go off plan and binge. And even if I binge a lot and gain 3-5 pounds, it comes off in less than a week. I think I have an unusually fast metabolism, which I believe comes from from years of severe binge eating. My food plan is the opposite of my binge pattern (discrete meals, no snacks, little sugar/flour, eat carbs from veggies) and it seems to be working. Well...it works when I work it. Battling my eating disorder is a daily struggle and lately the disorder has been getting the upper hand.

MissKelly
07-12-2010, 09:45 PM
motivated chickie: Youre done so good & have come so far....stay tough!!!:hug:

SarahD140
07-12-2010, 10:02 PM
I have a friend who is stalling, she eats clean and works out. And all of these posts about stalling freak me out!!! I'm massively affraid this will happen to me!!! I guess I'm racing.

As for why... I assume that if one is really doing things right, that a stall is ones bodies way of communicating. That is my best guess. Perhaps its time for it to take a break, or the plan is no longer effective.

I also wonder if ethnic make-up has anything to do with it. (not race.... think evolution and fat storing to survive) IDK.

kaplods
07-12-2010, 10:23 PM
I have my master's degree in psychology and I've put a lot more time and effort into studying weight loss than I ever have psychology (as much as I love the field).

I still feel like I only understand the tip of the iceberg. "Everyone's different," may be an almost meaningless answer, but the more complete answer would take years to explain/understand.

So I guess before answering, I'd ask "How much do you want to know, and how well do you want to know it?"

You can find college classes and even entire degrees based upon answering these questions. So where to begin?

It's not a stupid question, but neither is "everyone is different" a stupid answer. It boils down to whether you want an answer that's three words long, or thirty billion?

You could fill libraries with just the books that have already been written on the subject. And some of the answers are generally agreed upon by the experts, and some of the answers are still being debated.

Just the birth control issue alone - "everyone knows that birth control causes weight gain." The truth is not so simple. Birth control helped me tremendously in losing weight. I have PMDD (think PMS on steroids). Hubby calls me "werewolf" because of the severe mood swings and insane hunger, especially the cravings for red meat (I could take or leave meat most of the month, especially red meat). He jokes that he has to throw me a bag of burgers and it's not safe to come into the apartment until he hears munching.

Birth control tamed the werewolf. Most of my life, I spent three weeks a month trying to undo the damage of one week's binging. On birth control, the mood swings and hunger issues are greatly reduced.

There are many factors that account for the different experiences people have in all sorts of health issues. Weight loss is not the only one in which people can differ drastically. For example many drugs can have oppositional effects. Which is why antidepressants can actually worsen depression. Drugs that effect brain chemistry are especially prone to this (and many weight loss drugs fall under this category). A drug that can make one person sleepy, can keep- another person awake. A drug that can cause appetite increase in one person, can cause appetite decrease in another, can affect sex drive either way....

Any appreciable understanding the "whys" behind the differences would take so long, that "everyone's different" is often the most practical answer unless you want to spend months, years, or even decades of study in arriving at the answers.

Doesn't mean it's not worthy of study, but you don't have to understand the differences to get started (luckily, or we'd all be doomed). For most people, I think weight loss boils down to an experiment of one - you try stuff and it seems to work, you keep doing it. If it doesn't seem to be working, you try new stuff until you find the stuff that seems to be working. If it stops working, you try other stuff...

It is unfortunate that we don't understand the science of weight loss well enough to give people some sort of diagnostic test that can tell us what will work and how it will work, but we're not at that level of understanding. Maybe at some point we will be.

It's taken me 4 decades to beging to understand my own body/weight loss. Ironically, it took so long in part, because I didn't think I was any different than anyone else. I didn't try to find a system that worked for me, as much as I repeatedly tried diets that had worked for other people. I never tried low-carb, because I thought it was unhealthy for everyone, so I never even considered trying it until I had two doctor's recommendations to do so. It's still hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that a diet I considered unhealthy all of my life, may be the only diet that I find doable. Talk about ironic.

Shmead
07-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I suspect there is more variation in how people retain process waste and water than there is in how people burn fat.

When people lose inches but not weight, they HAVE to be retaining water or waste--there's nowhere else for the weight to be. When weight "wooshes" down, it must be a shift in waste or water--it can't be that your body burned three pounds of fat over night.

Basically, your body does NOT have much of a grace period to satisfy a calorie deficit: if your blood sugar drops and your cells need more energy than they are getting, your body has to get it from somewhere and it has to do so right then--it can't wait an hour, let alone a day. Now, it may not burn fat--it may put you to sleep instead, or lower your core temp, or stop your digestion, but it has to do something.

That's not to say that fat can't be burned quickly: we know that metabolic processes are often feedback loops, so a body might be making up a calorie deficit by lowering body temp but then some tipping point is reached and it switches to burning fat. But wild swings, IMHO, are more likely to be be water/waste related.

ennay
07-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I have had plateaus at the same weights repeatedly my entire life. I'm at one now, 142. Once I bust through I will glide fairly rapidly down to my next plateau. There are a few weights that tend to be hard plateaus (VERY hard to bust) and a few that tend to be soft (weight loss slows but usually an extra couple weeks busts it) but they are ALWAYS at the same weights. 142 is probably historically where I have spent the majority of my life since age 13. If I leave here I tend to either go to 135 or 156 with some short stops along the way at a few other points.

luciddepths
07-13-2010, 12:23 AM
I sometimes wonder if it has to do with how much muscle is under the weight. Also i think it depends on how much you weigh currently... alot of people who are 300 lbs, will lose ALOT faster than someone say 200 lbs. Once you start getting closer i think to a manageable weight for your body, i think thats when it slows down...

bellona
07-13-2010, 09:30 PM
I stalled right when I got to a "normal" bmi, at 160, for about a month. I just kept going, but it seemed like nothing was working! I actually got some advice here and increased my calories a bit, and took a week off from P90X/Insanity/track intervals and just did yoga and dance. I was even eating chips and chocolate, lol. At the end of that week, I weighed myself, and I was at 158.6! I haven't stalled at all since, and I've been losing faster lately for some reason. I'm willing to bet I'll hit another plateau at 143, and another at 135, because I've been there before!

I do have a tendency to stall, but I don't gain weight super fast either. It took me about 3 years of eating horribly, not exercising consistently, and sleeping way more than i needed to/binge drinking all the time to gain the last 30 pounds I packed on. I've known others that can gain that much in a matter of two months. Maybe there is something to that theory!