Metabolic Research Center - New Packaging at center, new taste??

a82allison
07-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Okay, maybe I am crazy but the new packaging of the HNS's (tall and narrow vs. short and wide) tastes different to me than when it was packaged the other way. And not in a good way. :( I've only tasted the Mixed Berry and the Kiwi Melon.. but they both have a very distinct fiber"y" taste now. Has anyone else noticed this???

mouse120
07-09-2010, 08:08 PM
I thought the exact same thing about Mixed Berry!! I had my first one today and didn't like it AT ALL.

Auntieb
07-09-2010, 08:28 PM
And I don't think it works any better. I tried to tear off the top and got a jagged edge that dripped all over my water bottle. They tell me they are all going to be in the new shape soon.

mouse120
07-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Yeah, with the new packaging, I still cut it open, but it almost bent backwards all over my white shirt :(

Not impresssed...

ladystarrider
07-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Today I traded in individual servings of the new MRC blue raspberry-flavor HNS (yuck) for ones in the goodie basket that I know like, and I noticed the same thing. The kiwi lime is definitely a different color, much darker and more olive-colored than before, although I haven't tasted it yet. The new mixed berry tastes OK, although I agree it is not the same as the earlier formulation. If you are curious about a new MRC flavor, see if you can get a sample before you buy a whole box. I'm glad my center lets us trade. I bought a bunch of drinks from Diet Direct last time they were on sale, and I also agree with others that their Proti-Diet Wild Berry is to be avoided. I am not hugely crazy about the Diet Direct Proti-Diet Peach Mango either. Both of these have that fibery taste mentioned in some of the previous posts.

PinkTiara22
07-09-2010, 10:36 PM
I stupidly bought 2 boxes of blue raspberry because I love that flavor slurpee lol - but ugh, it's gross.

skinnysissa
07-10-2010, 01:34 AM
I noticed that both blue rasberry and the mixed berry are a lot better when I don't use as much water as before. I use about 5-6 oz of water instead of 8, and it tastes better to me. Try that....maybe the "fibery" taste will go away!!

shannysmomma
07-10-2010, 03:57 PM
I totally agree that blue raspberry doesn't taste like the slurpee...love them too. I did notice that if the "new" ones were colder they tasted better & not using as much water. I usually put a few in the freezer & pull them out when I need them or leave them in the fridge.

jmt2323
07-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Yes!! I just bought some mixed berry, kiwi-melon, and orange HNS drinks. They are NOT near as good as they were before and I am very dissappointed. Idk what I am going to do. The orange are okay but the mixed berry and kiwi-melon don't hold a candle to the old ones, gross tart taste. I am going to talk to my center Mon. and try to buy any old packages they may have left b/c I used to look forward to my drinks, NOT anymore.... I didn't realize they had new flavors though, any of those any good?

carolinagirlnc
07-10-2010, 10:48 PM
My center seems to thing it was a mistake in the shipments that they had, but from the comments that I have seen on here I guess they have changed the flavor or make up. My center let me change out the new kiwi, for the new blueberry that I did not think the flavor was that bad.

MEEZOOGIRL
07-12-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one.. I bought the orange, and it tastes completely different to me. I'll have to try it colder.. Maybe that will help.

I'm still on the fence about the blue raspberry.. I feel like a 12 year old drinking blue liquid. Plus the taste is off to me.. maybe if you mix it with ice instead of a lot of water, you can get your icee??

TeresaG
07-12-2010, 12:45 PM
While I was waiting to be weighed in on Saturday, someone was purchasing the orange and the consultant was making a big deal about the new packaging and the other lady waiting mentioned something so I gave my two cents too. The consultant said they added fiber but it wasn't supposed to change the taste. Well the two of us that have tried it thought it didn't taste very well. It sounded like they are adding that to all the drinks so it will more than likely change the flavor of all of them. Sometimes I wish they would just leave things alone and if we need more fiber just tell us and we can figure out how to add that ourselves. One yucky tasting hns a day I can handle, but all of them. That's going to be hard. I try not to drink soda very often but maybe I'll have to mix them.

PinkTiara22
07-12-2010, 09:33 PM
I tried adding less water to the blue raspberry and it did make a different. It's still gross but not AS gross.

jmt2323
07-12-2010, 11:42 PM
okay- so I went in today and complained about the taste of the new drinks and they acted like they didn' tknow why they changed and offered to let me sample the blue rasberry... I did like it pretty well. Kiwi-melon used to be my fav but not anymore. I compared the nutrition and noticed a difference in sodium and potassium. This evening I talked to an old friend who happens to be related to one of the MRC workers, she told my friend that they had to add potassium because of the new diet they are doing, hence the one we aren't suppossed to mention. HMMMM thought that was VERY interesting. The workers act like they don't know why they changed the drinks - but yes they do just aren't telling us.... MRC wouldn't just send new drinks with no explanation...

ladystarrider
07-13-2010, 10:38 AM
I mentioned the change in taste to my counselor at the center yesterday when I went for weigh in. She confirmed that the new drink concentrates have had fiber added to them, and that a number people have commented. I told her that I was not a fan of the new tastes, and that I had seen many comments on the TFC forum. She asked me to write my statement down on a sticky note and sign it and she would give it to the manager. If enough people complain, perhaps the company will go back the the original formula. The ultimate vote I guess would be with our dollars. I wouldn't have a problem with letting the center know that I will be purchasing my HNS elsewhere, not only because of price, but now also because of taste.

studtmuffin
07-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Completely agree! I am going to ask about it today. Pretty bummed about the Mixed Berry! That was my favorite. Now it tastes like liquid jello. :( I also noticed there is more sodium, and carbs in them now, too.?

jmt2323
07-13-2010, 11:47 AM
I checked out fiber on the old and new. They are BOTH the same - 2 grams. The fiber must be the lie they are telling and idk why... The potassium and sodium are the only things that have changed by looking at nutritional info. from both. Besides the TASTE of course!!!!

a82allison
07-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Do you guys know if the Diet Direct drinks have changed also??

leigh34
07-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Do you guys know if the Diet Direct drinks have changed also??

That was my question - i assume yes since they all come from the same place. I would like to know what flavors are "alright" I'm gonna run out soon.

a82allison
07-13-2010, 06:02 PM
That was my question - i assume yes since they all come from the same place. I would like to know what flavors are "alright" I'm gonna run out soon.

The new blue raspberry tastes better than the mixed berry or the kiwi-melon. The Mixed Berry can be "bearable" but the Kiwi-Melon is horrible imo now.. Haven't tried the other flavors yet.

allisontom911
07-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Is this just the concentrates or is this the powders too? I love the lemon.

GoalAug2010
07-14-2010, 01:01 AM
I just purchased some of the new cranberry green tea - haven't tasted it yet, but here are the differences.

DIFFERENCES
INGREDIENTS - OLD
Hydrolyzed gelatin, water, polydextrose, fructose, natural and artificial flavors, citric acid, malic acid, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate to preserve freshness, caramel color, sucralose.

INGREDIENTS - NEW
Water, Hydrolyzed gelatin, fructose, soluble fiber, natural and artificial flavors, citric acid, malic acid, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate to preserve freshness, caramel color, sucralose.

Box used to say "product of canada" now says "product of usa"

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (differences)
Sodium + 10mg (now 15mg)
Potassium + 5mg (now 15mg)
Total Carbs + 1g (now 4g) - because sugars went up 1g, fiber is the same
Calcium +2% (was 0%, now its 2%)

GoalAug2010
07-14-2010, 02:28 AM
Update! I just tried the green tea cranberry in the new packaging and it's SOOO sickeningly sweet! That was my favorite flavor for the concentrates because it was the least sweet when I would drink it straight in the car while driving or something, but now it just tastes like pure honey. GROSS! Why did they have to mess with the formula and add 1 g of sugar, it seemingly didn't get better for us. I hope someone at MRC reads these boards and can do something about it.

a82allison
07-14-2010, 08:27 AM
I wonder if perhaps they aren't using the "proti-diet" brand anymore? Maybe they have someone else they are buying drinks from? If that's the case then maybe the Diet Direct drinks would still be good. Hmmmm...

dkmd27
07-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Box used to say "product of canada" now says "product of usa"

So apparently they switched manufacturers .... that's too bad.

guinevere75
07-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Wow - I'm so surprised guys - I really like the new Blue Raspberry flavor, and the new packaging works so much better for me than the old. I was traveling the last 3 days from TX to CA, and the new packages were so much easier for me at the airport and on the road in general - so much easier to get into a water bottle. I've had the new Mixed Fruit and the new Green Tea Cranberry as well, and they both seemed fine to me. So sorry you guys are tasting a difference!

GoalAug2010
07-14-2010, 07:22 PM
I like the new shape of the packaging, but the flavor of the green tea now just tastes like honey - even with water. I guess this will make me get off this diet even faster now!

TeresaG
07-14-2010, 07:48 PM
I find it a little odd that on this diet where carbs are so restricted that it's the one ingredient they increased in their drinks. Has anyone looked at differences in the powders or if they have even changed those?

thinknthin
07-15-2010, 03:20 PM
I have just tried the orange and the grape. Both are definately changed and not for the better! Who did a taste test on this product?
The HNS's were one of the best part of the program and not I have to work on just being able to drink it.

Auntieb
07-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Isn't this where I read the comment about the blue one exploding in a suitcase??? Where is the comment; I wanted to know if the color came out of the clothes, if it was in the baggage section or carry-on, etc.

ladystarrider
07-16-2010, 10:11 PM
I went for WI today. When the questioning came around about my consumption of HNS, I told the counselor honestly that I cannot stand the taste of the new formula, and that I will be buying my drinks elsewhere. Without hesitation, she answered that so many people had complained that the company had decided to go back to their original formula, without the fiber, and without the funny taste. She said if I would just wait a few weeks everything would be back the way it had been, and of course, the powders had not changed at all. She said "some people" had had issues with irregularity, which is why they changed it in the first place. Apparently that was a bad move! I guess we'll see. Y'all let me know if you see the good stuff come back, as I am still working my way through a huge shipment from Diet Direct!

GoalAug2010
07-16-2010, 11:13 PM
YAY! That is fantastic news! They are so bad and in the green tea / cranberry, the fiber amount didn't change AT ALL. It's not fiber that made those nasty, it's all the extra sucralose they stirred in. Yuck.

Thanks for solving the riddle, maybe they'll accept returns :)

Hvnlymzic
07-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Hmm...I liked the blue raspberry one...but I never had it before the tall skinny packaging. I did buy grape in the new packaging yesterday so we'll see how that tastes. Weird...why mess with a good thing, ya know?

thinknthin
07-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Grape and orange are NOT good. I bought more HNS's from Diet Direct. I've lost trust in that MRC will switch back really soon. It's just so hard to even drink the new HNS's.
Yes, it's nice to think that they're do returns. Once they bring back the old formula, who would want to purchase this new stuff. It's going to have to be deeply discounted.

Auntieb
07-17-2010, 11:26 PM
My center has a few pkgs of the old kind left, but told me today in the future they will all be the new stuff. And the only returns they do is allow trades package for package for what others have brought back to trade, not whole boxes.

Hvnlymzic
07-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Hmm...I don't mind the "new" grape either...it's different for sure, but tastes more like grape kool-aid than like whatever it tasted like before. I kinda think it's a little more sugary tasting. I don't hate it, but maybe I just don't expect as much out of my HNS's as some others do :)

guinevere75
07-21-2010, 12:51 PM
So my center has sent back all of the new except for Blue Raspberry and now only have the old formula back in stock - I didn't have any issue w/the new flavors, nor any issue w/the old ones - but what I do hate is that along w/the old formula's return comes the return of the old packaging - that blows. I really liked the newer packaging - it was much easier to travel with and worked so much better for water bottles. I'm confused about why they can't put the old formula in the new packaging.

msjjb
07-22-2010, 06:08 PM
This is the status update I received on Facebook yesterday:

ATTENTION MRC CLIENTS -- We've heard your comments about the recent changes to the HNS concentrates, and we've responded! You'll be glad to know that MRC has decided to revert back to the previous formula for most of the HNS concentrates. This change will take place during the next several weeks, so check with your loc...al center to see which HNSs they have in stock!

GoalAug2010
07-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Fantastic!

thinknthin
07-22-2010, 09:15 PM
I can't wait!

thinknthin
07-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Savannah has the old product! It's still in the old packaging but when I use it, I fold it down the middle and squeeze it out. That method hasn't caused a problem so far.

Onion Girl
07-23-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm soooooo happy. Can't wait to get back to my yummy kiwi-melon original.

MEEZOOGIRL
07-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Savannah has the old product! It's still in the old packaging but when I use it, I fold it down the middle and squeeze it out. That method hasn't caused a problem so far.

Great.. I'm in Savannah.. I'll have to go get some of the old formula.. I don't miind the blue raspberry.. but I don't like the new orange..

SandyKC0SWJ
07-26-2010, 11:38 AM
I mentioned to my center that I did not like the flavor of the HNS in the new packaging and the manager insisted that nothing had changed. So I told them that I had read many complaints on-line and that the formula had changed and added more fiber. The manager then says "Well they did add more fiber but that is good for you." After insisting that nothing had changed and then admitting that it had, I have now lost all confidence in the manager of my center.

GoalAug2010
07-26-2010, 12:41 PM
After insisting that nothing had changed and then admitting that it had, I have now lost all confidence in the manager of my center.

Yes, thats a disappointing moment. And the green tea-cranberry concentrate still has no fiber ;)

MRC is just like everything else, you have to look out for you, learn your stuff and be your own advocate.

Secretgrl77
07-26-2010, 08:43 PM
I weighed in at my center last Friday (haven't been there forever). I asked the consultant about the blue-raspberry flavor and she said it was disgusting and stains your teeth a weird blue-purple color. She ended up returning two boxes.

GWE140
07-27-2010, 11:55 PM
What we have to remember is that MRC does not come up with their own formulas in regards to the HNS...they purchase products already marketed and manufacturer by other companies ie. Proti, thus when negotiating product procurement the lowest bid wins, so this means which ever manufacturer wins the contract with MRC this is what is supplied to MRC clients with MRC packaging...so be aware that change happens regularly and only when a product has such a negative response does MRC respond...with a change either returning to the original manufacturer or seek another product...I have stuck with the HNS I like and have the requirements needed for the program through dietdirect...in the beginning I would purposely purchase the exact HNS from MRC and dietdirect I would check the inner packaging and packaging stamps to only find them exactly the same, in fact the MRC vanilla wafers I purchased from my center were packaged in Proti wrappers inside the MRC box....HNS is expensive so I stick with what I know...
There are many fiber, protein mixes now on the market, you can find them in Walmart, in fact I just purchased some from Crystal Light which are great....so buyer beware....

Goose
07-28-2010, 12:10 AM
What we have to remember is that MRC does not come up with their own formulas in regards to the HNS...they purchase products already marketed and manufacturer by other companies ie. Proti, thus when negotiating product procurement the lowest bid wins, so this means which ever manufacturer wins the contract with MRC this is what is supplied to MRC clients with MRC packaging...so be aware that change happens regularly and only when a product has such a negative response does MRC respond...with a change either returning to the original manufacturer or seek another product...I have stuck with the HNS I like and have the requirements needed for the program through dietdirect...in the beginning I would purposely purchase the exact HNS from MRC and dietdirect I would check the inner packaging and packaging stamps to only find them exactly the same, in fact the MRC vanilla wafers I purchased from my center were packaged in Proti wrappers inside the MRC box....HNS is expensive so I stick with what I know...
There are many fiber, protein mixes now on the market, you can find them in Walmart, in fact I just purchased some from Crystal Light which are great....so buyer beware....

GWE,
I was looking online for the vanilla wafers that MRC sells. I didn't find them on dietdirect. Do you know if they are on there and if they are called something other than vanilla wafers? Thanks!